[Movie 2011] Eerie (Chilling) Romance 오싹한 연애

Guest t3n5h1_chu_k015h173

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest farstrep

class="post-title single"Spellbound (2011): An Extraordinary Love: Romance Was Never This Eerie Ashley Kwon | February 4, 2012

spellbound-211x300.jpg

An unknown street magician, Jo-Gu, suddenly rises up to become Korea’s most famous “horror magician” after he encounters an eerie, gloomy woman, Yu-Ri. Yu-Ri’s mysterious charm captivates Jo-Gu, who immediately hires her for his new project: horror magic. Together, Jo-Gu and Yu-Ri mesmerize the Korean public with their breathtaking, horrifying performances of phantasmic illusions and terrifying tricks. Full of suspense, romance, and even comedy, the movie introduces a new genre of “Rom-Com Horror” to the theater. The writer/director Hwang In-Ho successfully creates an unusual yet alluring combination of romantic comedy and horror in Spellbound. Along with the growing romance between Jo-Gu and Yu-Ri, the CGI special effects capture the imagination of the audience with its realistic presentation of supernatural events and ghostly visitations. To lighten the horror, Hwang In-Ho sprinkles the plot with funny scenes and comical portrayals of the characters’ vulnerabilities that add to the overall enjoyment of the film. Director Hwang In-Ho is not new to the world of Korean cinema, having directed several previous films, but Spellbound is his first commercially successful film, which has attracted more than 3 million viewers in Korea. Director Hwang collaborates with many famous actors in this film including Lee Min-Ki (Jo-Gu), Son Ye-Jin (Yu-Ri), and Park Chul-Min (Pil-Dong).

Yu-Ri is an extraordinary character who has a special gift: she can see ghosts, but she is frustrated by her supernatural ability. Ever since her best friend Ju-Hee died, Yu-Ri has been able to see ghosts and has been haunted by Ju-Hee. Due to her special gift, Yu-Ri leads a lonely, morose life until she meets Jo-Gu. The actress Son Ye-Jin successfully portrays the character of Yu-Ri. Son Ye-Jin’s unaffected portrayal of the young woman who is tortured by her supernatural visitations immediately engages the sympathy of the viewer. Furthermore, Son Ye-Jin’s portrayal of Yu-Ri’s transformative journey from a diffident and apprehensive person to an open and loving one elevates the emotional depth of the film. Son Ye-Jin demonstrates an impressive range: from creepy gloominess to comical drunkenness to sensitive realization. As the story progresses, Yu-Ri falls in love with Jo-Gu, her boss, but Yu-Ri encounters a major conflict when she has to leave Jo-Gu in order to protect him from Ju-Hee’s jealousy-driven attacks.

In contrast to the eerie Yu-Ri, Jo-Gu is a seemingly normal guy who has an unusual hobby: horror magic. Despite the bravery he affects in his performances, Jo-Gu is actually quite pusillanimous. When Jo-Gu also begins to see ghosts after his fateful encounter with Yu-Ri, he is haunted by Ju-Hee as he becomes closer to Yu-Ri. Ju-Hee’s attempts to kill Jo-Gu terrify him, and he considers running away from Yu-Ri in order to save his own life. The actor Lee Min-Ki effectively portrays his character through his comical yet romantic acting. Even though the character in the movie is very ordinary, Lee Min-Ki successfully brings the character to life through his deft comic portrayal. Jo-Gu encounters a major crisis as he struggles to make the most important decision of his life: whether to risk his own life to be with his one true love, Yu-Ri.

Overall, the director expertly integrates the various tones of the film, ranging from the comical to the mournful to the spooky. By effectively mixing horror with romantic comedy, the director presents a fresh, new genre to Korean cinema. The audience laughs, cries, and screams during the course of this charming film, which leaves a lasting impression. Spellbound is definitely a worthwhile view, as reflected from the over 3 million viewers it has had in Korea alone. Anyone will be able to enjoy this movie that smoothly combines three different genres. Being PG-rated, Spellbound will surely be a favorite among teens as well as adults. Unlike other romantic comedies that have come out this winter, Spellbound crosses genres and rises above the others as it establishes a new genre of rom-com horror. Thus, Spellbound will continue to delight audiences of all ages with its mixture of excitement, suspense, and romance.

Ashley Kwon Ashley Kwon

I attend Fairmont Preparatory Academy in Anaheim, California. Returning to the program for another semester, I am proud to be a Joongang Student Reporter.

source: http://www.jstudentboard.com/reporter/articles/arts-entertainment/arts/spellbound-2011-an-extraordinary-love-romance-was-never-this-eerie/

@arch00 : mmm, its not definitely watch together... from what i see in the last movie (lee min ki movie, quick?) the member will post any gif or pic... so we can see it together... just come to this thread. i will sent u a mssg. :D
or maybe @farstrep already give u the invitation??? 

Guest arch00

bobsavero said: @arch00 : mmm, its not definitely watch together... from what i see in the last movie (lee min ki movie, quick?) the member will post any gif or pic... so we can see it together... just come to this thread. i will sent u a mssg. :D
or maybe @farstrep already give u the invitation??? 

Guest myphim

@arch00  @bobsavero

Some do watch it live and leave their comments as they watch the movie. :))
I do love reading live reaction. :D
But the ones doing the recap, we do have to watch it first in order to do gifs and pics. :))
I'm actually watching it today, so I can start on my gifs. :D

Guest arch00

myphim said: @arch00  @bobsavero

But the ones doing the recap, we do have to watch it first in order to do gifs and pics. :))

Guest myphim

arch00 said: myphim said: @arch00  @bobsavero

Guest arch00

myphim said: @arch00   Feel free to post anything you want to spazz about. :))
We welcome all contributions to make this movie thread a better place. :D
I'm shipping this OTP too.
Did you see all the fan MVs I posted on the other pages?
My goodness! They look ridiculously good together. :))

BTW, are you ready for Nine this week?

Guest arch00

@myphim my best fav scenes are the cloth tearing parts  :))  poor Lee Min Ki he had to have extra clothes with him when they are out on drinking  :)) :)) OH MY GOAT there are so many fav parts, the kid ghost =)) and the scared Lee Min-Ki :))

Guest myphim

arch00 said: @myphim hehe then i will be sure spazzing here too... This OTP is over the top  and yes i have watched the mvs.They really look good together. :)) :)) yes i am ready for nine, i stalk there too but i don't see anybody there :)) :)

Guest arch00

myphim said: @arch00   I'm planning to make many gifs for this OTP, so we can spazz together when the time comes. :))
Oh, as for Nine, I haven't been there in a while because I want to watch the show without spoiler first. :))
I hope there will be sub for it because I don't think I can watch it raw.

Guest farstrep

@arch00: Please feel free to post any gifs or pictures you've come across here. :) This thread is open to everyone.

@bobsavero: The actress who is acting as the female ghost that constantly haunts Yeo-ri is Hwang Seung-eon.

20111206_120956991372_1.jpg
credits: as tagged

2011112121081987510_1.jpg

2011112121094390832_1.jpg
credits: joinsmsn.com

Guest myphim

arch00 said: @myphim my best fav scenes are the cloth tearing parts  :))  poor Lee Min Ki he had to have extra clothes with him when they are out on drinking  :)) :)) OH MY GOAT there are so many fav parts, the kid ghost =)) and the scared Lee Min-Ki :))

Archived