Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

9 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Joo won in a scandal? Lol! Even in parallel universe we will not see any kind of scandal in his life. Like, it's not like that I know him personally, but you can always judge a person with people he surrounds himself with and most of the Musical actor/actress are like very clean as far as I know.

They're also actors, and therein lies the crux of the problem. ;) 

I think that, for me, it's a trade off: the more I like someone for their acting skills, the more I have to admit that they would also be convincing at acting in real life. It's not something I proactively worry about anymore, but it does help me be...less fazed if something does happen.

So, apart from him getting another low rating drama or getting injured while filming, I have no worries about Joo won and also getting into toxic relationship or divorce

I'm not worried about relationship issues - so long as JW himself isn't the toxic one. 

Re: the behind-the-scenes videos, I also thought it was funny watching Kim Hee Sun and JW playing around with the fake blood at the end. Since they literally can't move from their positions in the room once the blood's been painted on, it was cute (a bit surreal and morbid, yes, but still cute) how KHS started joking around about being a gumiho (Korean fox spirit who seduces men and then kills them).

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

He's consistently said these things about relationships, so I doubt they'll come back around to bite him. The worst I could see happening is someone saying he's old-fashioned - since he seems to enter a relationship with marriage as an ultimate goal, and I can't say that's true for many millennials - but Korean audiences generally seem to like that. More so than where I'm from, anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

They're also actors, and therein lies the crux of the problem.

Well, he is an actor who still has family support(not financially). We can see a lot of actor would rarely spend their free time with family and often spend their time in clubs or partying with fellow actors. But, joo won spends his most of the free time with his family and we also spends considerable time with his friends but not like partying, but mostly golfing and exploring city. So, my assertion was not just based on emotional thing but also on hard evidence, that most of the actors turn towards drugs is mainly due to loneliness and which is result of having no real moral support in their life. And I think as long as Joo won has his family, I don't think he will ever be stuck in a scandal, at the best he might get a parking ticket or a fine for not wearing seat belt :joy:

He's consistently said these things about relationships, so I doubt they'll come back around to bite him. The worst I could see happening is someone saying he's old-fashioned

Saying these things when he is single is one thing and saying these things after a break-up is another thing and I just hope tabloids and fans don't read much into and take it as a personal opinion and not as a opinion on anyone

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, he is an actor who still has family support(not financially). We can see a lot of actor would rarely spend their free time with family and often spend their time in clubs or partying with fellow actors. But, joo won spends his most of the free time with his family and we also spends considerable time with his friends but not like partying, but mostly golfing and exploring city. So, my assertion was not just based on emotional thing but also on hard evidence, that most of the actors turn towards drugs is mainly due to loneliness and which is result of having no real moral support in their life. And I think as long as Joo won has his family, I don't think he ever be stuck in a scandal, at the best he might get parking ticket or fine for not wearing seat belt :joy:

Those are all really good points that I agree with completely - but that's also not what I was getting at.

It's weird. I feel like we both have the same inner concept that JW is fundamentally a good person who isn't likely to take a dark turn - yet at the same time, we're coming at "goodness" from such completely different angles that I feel like we're speaking on entirely different wavelengths.

I have a hard time even articulating this to myself, because it does get philosophical, but let me try here:

Outwardly - in terms of his behaviour, hobbies, attitudes towards others, worldviews as stated in interviews, etc. - JW's perfectly fine. I agree with that. But for me, the goodness - or, should I say, morals - that matter are all on the inside of a person. And that's something that we will never 100% know about a person, not even our closest family and friends, simply because it is a fundamental part of human nature for all of us to present curated versions of ourselves.

Which means, by extension, that what we see of JW in interviews, social media posts, interactions with others behind-the-scenes, etc. are also curated and most likely don't reflect what he's like on the inside 100%. Of course, that curated self is based on fact, but how much? Most people, I would argue, have a relatively decent degree of truth in their self-representations - but actors' whole careers are built around creating and enacting personas completely different from themselves, so who's to say that the "real" version they present of themselves isn't yet another alter ego?

And that's why, as much as I like what I see of JW now, I don't deal in absolutes like, "He'd never get into a scandal". Because it just takes one slip to prove me wrong - and from what I've seen of other celebrity scandals, that's just painful (because we say that JW's too good to get into that sort of trouble - but so did those people's fans).

lol - you can see why I had to step away from the fandom for a bit, because taking all this to its logical conclusion will end up making you paranoid :wut: 

So now, I've decided to just sit back and enjoy the ride while I still can - I hope JW makes it all the way to the end as he hoped :) 

49 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Saying these things when he is single is one thing and saying these things after a break-up is another thing and I just hope tabloids and fans don't read much into and take it as a personal opinion and not as a opinion on anyone

I'm confused - are you worried that audiences will take that statement as JW saying everyone should be like that? Or that this could have negative repercussions on his relationship with BoA in hindsight?

• Like 3

Outwardly - in terms of his behaviour, hobbies, attitudes towards others, worldviews as stated in interviews, etc. - JW's perfectly fine. I agree with that. But for me, the goodness - or, should I say, morals - that matter are all on the inside of a person. And that's something that we will never 100% know about a person, not even our closest family and friends, simply because it is a fundamental part of human nature for all of us to present curated versions of ourselves.

So, in other words you are saying that we will never know how Joo won behaves when there is no camera recoding him. Yes, it does make sense, like, I have seen some many times joo won being nice to everyone when he is being recorded, and I think it is a part of marketing strategy, like it is 101 of marketing strategy, like, people tend to trust celebrities who has clean image and maintaining that clean image is seen as non-negotiable thing in Korean entertainment industry. But, I don't feel like not all the things that he has done seems like a market trick to me, some things feels like he does it out of his instincts, like, the way he interacts with his seniors in respectful way. But I did notice a few marketing tricks in his actions, like, he tied shoe lace of fan on his first fan meet while he was performing dance with her. So, yes it is difficult to know what he really is from inside, not even in Joo won's case it is hard what a person is from inside. It's really hard to know intentions behind every action, but, I for one think, there is some degree of authenticity in his behavior on screen, when we compare with his off screen activities, for instance, he is still friends with his musical classmates and they seem to adore him, even in life Vlog they were supportive of him, and I accept not everything in his Vlog is authentic, like him feeding the camera guy is a stunt and he was not very polite towards his assistant or a new guy in his crew when he was asking him to bring him something to eat. I know he is there to help joo won and make him feel comfortable while filming the ad, but I thought he would at least be polite towards that boy when he was making a request, he did used the words "Please and Thanks" but that seem to like a formality thing. And I really don't know if joo won is going to stay the same guy that we know, but I can be sure that he would never be caught in a DUI case (mentioned earlier) and has thin chances of getting to vices like drugs abuse. I don't know how he is going to be towards his partner, whether he will treat her as equal or not, that really depends on advice of his parents, since they seem to hold lot of influence over joo won when it comes to his personal life and he tends to follow their advice sincerely.

Or that this could have negative repercussions on his relationship with BoA in hindsight?

I didn't want to mention the name, but yes, I was afraid fans might take his statements out of context and read too much into it. But he shouldn't be afraid to express his feelings about relationship because it is his FOE and if someone is offended by it, they have freedom to get offended. I was like when he said he doesn't like "push and pull" like situation in relationship I was like why would you mention it Joo won:cold_sweat:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

So, in other words you are saying that we will never know how Joo won behaves when there is no camera recoding him.

In essence, yeah - that's true for everyone (not just JW), but the point is that as long as I'm aware that all I can see is a partial representation of him, then I'm okay with that.

Yes, it does make sense, like, I have seen some many times joo won being nice to everyone when he is being recorded, and I think it is a part of marketing strategy, like it is 101 of marketing strategy, like, people tend to trust celebrities who has clean image and maintaining that clean image is seen as non-negotiable thing in Korean entertainment industry.

It's really hard to know intentions behind every action, but, I for one think, there is some degree of authenticity in his behavior on screen, when we compare with his off screen activities, for instance, he is still friends with his musical classmates and they seem to adore him, even in life Vlog they were supportive of him, and I accept not everything in his Vlog is authentic, like him feeding the camera guy is a stunt and he was not very polite towards his assistant or a new guy in his crew when he was asking him to bring him something to eat. I know he is there to help joo won and make him feel comfortable while filming the ad, but I thought he would at least be polite towards that boy when he was making a request, he did used the words "Please and Thanks" but that seem to like a formality thing.

Of course, I accept that no-one is ever always at their best, and slips do happen. However, the general pattern, I hope, will still be positive :) 

And I really don't know if joo won is going to stay the same guy that we know, but I can be sure that he would never be caught in a DUI case (mentioned earlier) and has thin chances of getting to vices like drugs abuse.

Funny that you brought this up, because I just came across this today - I'm not entirely sure (since I had to use Google Translate), but I think it's a list of actors who can play being drunk on screen, but who actually can't drink in real life. Of course, JW was featured here, but I was definitely surprised at some of the others, whose drunk performances definitely had me fooled. :P 

I didn't want to mention the name, but yes, I was afraid fans might take his statements out of context and read too much into it. But he shouldn't be afraid to express his feelings about relationship because it is his FOE and if someone is offended by it, they have freedom to get offended. I was like when he said he doesn't like "push and pull" like situation in relationship I was like why would you mention it Joo won

I...still don't get how that could turn into a problem, to be honest. My best guess would be that you're concerned netizens might take this as a passive aggressive way for JW to attribute fault in his breakups to his partners, but I have a hard time imagining that would happen. After all, JW made this clear as a benchmark for whether he would date someone at all prior to this relationship, so I think just his dating BoA should be testament that that's not what he thinks of her...yeah, I'm definitely still confused. :P 

Personally, I don't believe this stuff, but just for fun (since JW's birthday is coming soon): what celebrities' zodiac signs say about them.

Part One

Part Two

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I don't I have seen Joo won acting like drunkard for long time on screen, like, most of the time he gets doze-off. Unlike Moon Chae-Won, who acts like total drunkard without being doze-off. But yeah, for a guy who never drinks in his real life, he does act well like drunkard

I would also like to share a list, where actor/actress could have been Idols and few names really surprised me, except Joo won's :blush:

24 minutes ago, kittyna said:

My best guess would be that you're concerned netizens might take this as a passive aggressive way for JW to attribute fault in his breakups to his partners, but I have a hard time imagining that would happen.

Maybe my fears were misplaced and I was worrying over nothing. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 2

Article summarizing JW's comments on Radio Star

I think some of the behind-the-scenes comments about Alice surprised me, but it's good to hear what he was actually thinking while, say, up on the rooftop or doing the shower scene. Also, since we were on the subject to begin with, I thought it was funny reading his story about trying to drink with Kim Hee Sun in real life and - rather predictably - failing miserably in the process :P His confession about how he managed all those occasions when sunbaes pressured him to drink was an eye-opener, though; I always thought he just asked for water.

However, looking at how his comments about relationships were summarized here...yeah, I can see how a slightly different translation can get misconstrued. Most fans would know what he actually means, but dang, that's a pretty savage way to translate it.

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I don't I have seen Joo won acting like drunkard for long time on screen, like, most of the time he gets doze-off. Unlike Moon Chae-Won, who acts like total drunkard without being doze-off. But yeah, for a guy who never drinks in his real life, he does act well like drunkard

I think My Sassy Girl and Alice both had hilarious drunk scenes for JW, but I also liked some of the softer/sadder ones I've seen from him, too. One favourite of mine is actually rather subtle - it's when, in the midst of all the A/S Orchestra related drama, Cha Yoo Jin gets drunk and ends up venting to Nae Il outside her apartment. I dunno, I just liked that one small moment of vulnerability in the midst of everything else that was happening at that point in the drama.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kittyna said:

Article summarizing JW's comments on Radio Star

Thanks for sharing the article, and I have just saw the episode with out subs and I would like to say its worth watching, he can see subtle changes in Joo won, but I like how few things have not changed about him, his reaction of getting surprised by opening his open wide open, thinking carefully before answering a question and his sweet voice while singing. And I do like chemistry between him and IV :blush: And the also the way he holds the door for all the ladies with him while entering the set(not like that he is doing any favors or it is a sign of a strong person) which I have observed it whenever I saw his shows with female cast members(Always been considerate towards them). So, his gentle nature is still intact despite going through rigorous army training process :blush:

6 hours ago, kittyna said:

I think My Sassy Girl and Alice both had hilarious drunk scenes for JW,

My favorite ones are Alice and Ojakgyo Brothers. Like, I literally cried when he begged  his Grandma to forgive Baek Ja-eun. So, yes joo won can show is emotionally side much better when he acts like drunken person

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

My favorite ones are Alice and Ojakgyo Brothers. Like, I literally cried when he begged  his Grandma to forgive Baek Ja-eun.

For someone who cries easily in real life, I actually cry very rarely when watching dramas. However, Ojakgyo Brothers was able to do it for me, but for a different scene: the one where Tae Hui's parents finally comfort him after the death of his biological mother while still chiding him for keeping everything bottled up inside. It sounded so much like something my own parents would say to me that I got emotional then.

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

So, his gentle nature is still intact despite going through rigorous army training process

I actually think that would have served him well during his time as an assistant instructor. :) People say that JW can look intimidating at first, so it's good that his real personality is so different from that first impression.

New stills from Alice - Hey, he's actually smiling! :) The description on the picture also says that this moment will be a paradigm shift for Jin Gyeom and Tae Yi, but I wonder how.

• Like 2

For someone who cries easily in real life, I actually cry very rarely when watching dramas. However, Ojakgyo Brothers was able to do it for me, but for a different scene: the one where Tae Hui's parents finally comfort him after the death of his biological mother while still chiding him for keeping everything bottled up inside. It sounded so much like something my own parents would say to me that I got emotional then.

For someone who rarely cry in real life, I usually cry a lot if the drama has heart  touching scenes, for instance, I still cry when ever Joo Won in Good Doctor explains why he wanted to be a doctor and how he wanted help children so that they grow into an adult and have happy life that his brother did not get to have. This scene always makes me cry and for rest of the scenes in Good Doctor and Ojakgyo Brothers, I cried only once :P

I actually think that would have served him well during his time as an assistant instructor. :) People say that JW can look intimidating at first, so it's good that his real personality is so different from that first impression.

He is really tall and on top of that he has a buffed-up body now, so natural people who don't know maybe intimidated in his press, I can say with some experience, when I met my senior for first I was intimidated by his height and I was able to barely speak to him and he was like why are so scared and I spontaneously responded it is because of his height. :lol:

Hey, he's actually smiling!

I think it can be TY(2020) expectation that he will be laughing when she is going to celebrate his or her birthday or writers need to come up with a better explanation that why he is able to express himself now.

It sounded so much like something my own parents would say to me that I got emotional then.

Yeah, I hear you, these kind of conversations are really hard to have with parents and in the scene it almost felt like the his aunt and uncle were apologizing to him for not understanding him well enough

Lol! There were like tons of these kind of silly things joo won did on the show. Coming to the show review, I didn't get to see complete show, since it was subbed properly and there was lot of buffering(it is torturous to watch a video with buffer). So, there were some funny parts about Joo won, like Joo won mentioned  one the MC had criticized Joo won earlier, and we was surprised that they did a show with him, and when he remembered doing a talk show with him, he said that joo won spoke about playing basketball with his older brother for 1 hour in that 3 hour talk show(Show name was "Taxi") and rest of the 2 hours we spoke about family, Lol! That scene made me laugh a lot, because MC said because of the guests like Joo won his talk show taxi was canceled(It was funny scene, not like MC and Joo won had a heated debate). And also they talked about Joo won kissing IVY in earlier stage show where they were promoting "Ghost " in 2013, audience got flustered because they were not expecting kiss after completing the song, like it was a natural thing they do on stage after finishing the song. Overall talk show was good and was fun to watch. :blush:

• Like 2

He is really tall and on top of that he has a buffed-up body now, so natural people who don't know maybe intimidated in his press, I can say with some experience, when I met my senior for first I was intimidated by his height and I was able to barely speak to him and he was like why are so scared and I spontaneously responded it is because of his height.

Point. I also think it's because JW's known for having this really intense, penetrating stare - at least I recall that was the hosts' first impression of him on Healing Camp, while the hosts on Win Win said that he "looked like a bad boy".

For someone who rarely cry in real life, I usually cry a lot if the drama has heart  touching scenes, for instance, I still cry when ever Joo Won in Good Doctor explains why he wanted to be a doctor and how he wanted help children so that they grow into an adult and have happy life that his brother did not get to have.

I don't recall crying during Good Doctor, but I think I came closest when Park Si On opened up to Cha Yoon Seo about the accident that killed his brother. Again, I think that seeing Si On finally beginning to wrestle with and work through his survivor's guilt really resonated with me for some reason.

I think it can be TY(2020) expectation that he will be laughing when she is going to celebrate his or her birthday or writers need to come up with a better explanation that why he is able to express himself now

Another possibility is that Jin Gyeom's finally starting to pick up where he left off after Sun Young's death. We know that his empathy and emotional expression gradually improved over the course of his childhood (and we do see him smiling when he was preschool-to-kindergarten-aged - Episodes 7 and 1, respectively), but he probably entered a state of arrested development after his mother died. Maybe the trauma of that loss made it easier for Jin Gyeom to feel/understand and express negative emotions like sadness, fear, disgust, or anger, but positive emotions like happiness were still challenging.

I always assumed that Jin Gyeom uses a neutral expression and tone of voice when he's happy, but maybe now, with Tae Yi's guidance (e.g. that whole bit about speaking/texting with aegyo, for instance), he's making more of a conscious effort to show happiness as well.

So, there were some funny parts about Joo won, like Joo won mentioned  one the MC had criticized Joo won earlier, and we was surprised that they did a show with him, and when he remembered doing a talk show with him, he said that joo won spoke about playing basketball with his older brother for 1 hour in that 3 hour talk show(Show name was "Taxi") and rest of the 2 hours we spoke about family, Lol! That scene made me laugh a lot, because MC said because of the guests like Joo won his talk show taxi was canceled(It was funny scene, not like MC and Joo won had a heated debate)

Oh, yeah - if you like those in-depth talk shows, JW's appearance on tvN's Taxi is definitely worth checking out. He actually did it at around the same time he was doing Ghost in 2013, so it's double the throwback to see him with that same MC (Kim Gu Ra) again. It was a similar pattern to what happened on Win Win and Healing Camp, where I think one particular host in the group (Kim Gu Ra in this case) kept trying to get some dirt on JW, but wound up coming away from the interview going, "Who the hell is this kid??? I can't get anything!" :lol:

(I originally watched the version that was subbed by Joo Won Cuties and uploaded on Dailymotion, but that's gone now. So you need to look for Episode 315, which aired on December 16, 2013 - 2013.12.16).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, kittyna said:

kept trying to get some dirt on JW, but wound up coming away from the interview going, "Who the hell is this kid??? I can't get anything!" 

I didn't get to see the whole episode of Win Win, but I was able to see the second half, like the MCs were literally face-palming by the answers of Joo won. And if I remember correctly, Director Bird was on the set too, and he sort of ran away when he was called on the set.:joy:

36 minutes ago, kittyna said:

and we do see him smiling when he was preschool-to-kindergarten-aged - Episodes 7 and 1, respectively)

I don't recall seeing young JG smiling, but I do see he was excited or at least showed expressions which conveys that he was  happy  spending time with his mom.

39 minutes ago, kittyna said:

also think it's because JW's known for having this really intense, penetrating stare - at least I recall that was the hosts' first impression of him on Healing Camp, while the hosts on Win Win said that he "looked like a bad boy".

I recall one of the lady in audience saying that his expressions looked cold in nature, so, yeah people get him wrong if they meet him for the first time.

• Like 2

This might be a bit ambitious, but since I sense that it's really hard to find that episode of Taxi anymore, I'm going to attempt to do a recap here.

(At the time, I actually downloaded it to my computer instead of watching it online. If that went against Joo Won Cuties' rules, please forgive me - but in hindsight, this might be the only way to access it now, so...all good?)

I'm gonna try to go into detail so that you'll get a sense of what happened even if you can't find the video anymore. So sit back and enjoy the ride!

Spoiler

1. The MCs (Kim Gu Ra and Hong Eun Hee) meet up with JW. He admits to having a packed schedule on that day, having just come from an MBC radio interview about Catch Me. (Note: you will continue to see confusion as to what exactly he's meant to promote here - GhostCatch Me, or Good Doctor. Although Good Doctor was already finished by this point, it was still the big thing JW was known for, so tons of references to it appear in this episode.)

2. Kim Gu Ra, ever the senior variety talk show host, tries to bring up a rumour that JW wasn't happy with him for some reason. JW clarifies that he actually had nothing against Gu Ra; instead, what happened was that Gu Ra had interviewed Choi Kang Hee during Level 7 Civil Servant, and some of the questions involved their "loveline" (I presume the real-life one rather than the fictional one), so Kang Hee panicked and told JW about the interview because she was worried he'd end up in a "scandal". Gu Ra defends himself, saying he was only asking what the viewers would want to know about, but JW gets his payback now by teasing him about the incident.

3. The MCs ask JW if he feels fatigued having so many things at once. JW says that he isn't particularly tired, but admits that he jumped straight into Ghost rehearsals right after finishing filming for Good Doctor. (Jump ahead to 2020, and we see the exact same thing happening with Alice.) JW adds that he's always energized when he's working or on set, but that he would fall asleep in the car. Gu Ra points out that that's true for him as well, so the two guys do finally end up bonding over something ;) 

4. JW shares anecdotes from Good Doctor filming, especially about how frequently he would mess up his lines and then kick himself afterwards, much to the amusement of the MCs. Kim Gu Ra then says (rightly or falsely, I don't know) that he hadn't watched Good Doctor yet, and asks JW to greet the viewers in Park Si On's voice. Cue tons of squeeing from Hong Eun Hee, and a deal with Kim Gu Ra that for every time that JW says something in Si On's voice, he'll shorten the amount of time they spend filming (thus allowing the shoot to wrap up earlier and giving JW a precious break). 

5. The first such task: a rather cringeworthy (for JW's modest nature, anyway) scripted summary of his projects thus far. I say "cringeworthy" because it literally starts with, "In 2013, no-one could surpass me!" The rest goes well, though, with JW switching back and forth between his normal voice and Si On voice (thus earning a few more minutes off the shoot).

6. Discussion shifts to his track record for getting high ratings - while talking about Ojakgyo Brothers, JW corrects Kim Gu Ra when he accidentally credits the wrong actor for playing the dad. Generally, the MCs commend JW for making a smart decision by choosing to do a weekend drama (Ojakgyo Brothers) and a variety show (1N2D) early in his career, as that would allow him to be visible to audiences over an extended period of time. They point out that many up-and-coming actors think that just achieving popularity through a hit mini-series (i.e. your typical 16-20 episode drama) is enough when it really isn't.

7. They chat about Catch Me for a bit, focusing on JW's reputation for skinship with noona and hyung actors. JW admits that some of the hyungs from 1N2D were weirded out at first, and the MCs say that JW should meet up with Lee Jong Suk (who's also known for off-screen aegyo and skinship), just to see what happens. :D 

8. Since JW played criminal profilers in both Catch Me and Special Investigations Unit, just for fun, the hosts ask JW to do a mock-reading/psychoanalysis of Kim Gu Ra (with Hong Eun Hee in particular wanting to know why Gu Ra is so vicious in interviews). JW's answer: Gu Ra was bullied a lot at school, and taught himself to strike first. Gu Ra's response: "It would be great if I had a story like that" (i.e. he wasn't bullied; he's just like this).

9. It starts snowing, so Hong Eun Hee (who's driving) asks JW what he tends to think of when he sees snow. JW shares about his high school experiences, spending time at school even during the Christmas holidays because he volunteered to be his school's stage manager and needed to be there for opening/closing whenever other students had rehearsals. Kim Gu Ra then asks teasingly if JW ever snuck in with a girlfriend back then, but JW just says that he'd play hide and seek with his friends - which prompts the hosts to tease him about his innocence once again. :P 

10. They finally(!) get to Ghost, and after some bickering between Kim Gu Ra and Hong Eun Hee about the original film version (with JW just awkwardly smiling in the back seat :P), they ask him to sing "Unchained Melody" - which JW does, cleverly singing "Eun Hee" in place of "Molly".

11. The MCs ask JW if he'd be interested in doing variety shows again, but he declines. He explains that while he enjoyed actually being on 1N2D itself, his tendency to stay on the sidelines meant that he got negative feedback from viewers (he mentions specifically comments like, "Why is he still here?" - so, pretty toxic stuff). Gu Ra tries to encourage him to look on the bright side: at least he enjoyed his time on the show and came away with mostly happy memories.

12. The MCs ask JW about his finances - he says that he gives his earnings to his parents and just takes a small allowance, which he also never completely uses up. They also ask about relationships (since, according to the MCs, JW might not spend much money when he's single, but that'd probably change if he's dating), and he says that he's reluctant to date when he can't comfortably do so in public. Even with co-stars (they use Moon Chae Won as an example because of Good Doctor), JW says that it's hard to really get to know a person on the inside after just a few months of filming, and that he feels bad for his co-stars when any little thing he says about them (mostly sincere compliments about what they're like as people) gets construed into a dating rumour by the press. Even though he tries to be casual and laugh it off, you can hear that after the sixth/seventh time in a row (since he was now being asked about Kim Ah Joong and IVY), he was definitely getting sick of it - but that still doesn't stop him from gushing about Moon Chae Won and Choi Kang Hee all the same. :P 

13. The next question, obviously, is about JW's ideal type. It's the same sort of answer as always - someone who's kind, who doesn't play "push and pull," who always treats their elders with respect, etc. - but JW does joke that he knows this makes him sound old-fashioned. About respecting elders in particular, JW also says that he's had a few false starts this way: he'd start thinking he likes a girl, only to hear her say scolding her elders, at which point he loses interest.

14. The MCs also ask JW about his pre-debut relationships, and he says that he's still in touch with his first girlfriend, but only because they were high school classmates and would run into each other at reunions, get-togethers with mutual friends, etc. They try to ask whether he would still harbor feelings for her, but he says he doesn't - at which point Kim Gu Ra teases JW for being passive and says that he needs more courage. JW retorts that he does have courage: he has courage in being so direct about what he thinks about love. He then shares the same story that you'd know from Win Win (about confiding to his mom about how he worried he'd change and his mom said that that was just a part of growing up).

15. The MCs and JW chat a bit about his style of answering questions so far - that he tends to stay pretty calm throughout without getting particularly excited or upset - and then they shift to hobbies. JW lists his favourite sports, which he plays with family and neighbours. So they ask about his family: JW explains that his father and hyung run a seafood import/export business together, and that he's always been close with his hyung. Hong Eun Hee asks if his sister-in-law ever tried to set him up on a blind date, but JW answers that he's not one for blind dates - he'd rather just get to know people naturally.

16. The MCs ask about JW's thoughts on marriage. There's this really cute bit where JW tries to bring up The Notebook, but then neither of the hosts have ever heard of it and JW's all, "What? You don't know it? It's my favourite." (Okay, that's clearly changed, but this in 2013, remember?). Once that's sorted out, JW says that he found the way the main couple in the movie would hug (i.e. the girl running and jumping into the guy's arms) really romantic and that he'd love to try that someday. This is also when he goes into his whole imagined day in his life after marriage: being all cutesy and lovey-dovey with his wife first thing in the morning before going to work as an acting professor. The MCs hilariously start bickering with each other whether JW should actually kiss his wife first thing in the morning (Eun Hee says no, Gu Ra says yes). JW's also asked about some advice he got from Cha Tae Hyun about married life (namely: there will be 99 things you'll like about your partner, and 1 thing you won't, and that 1 thing will overshadow the other 99), but he says he doesn't believe he'll end up thinking that - and also points out that Yoo Hae Jin vouches for him. (This is a good time to point out, though, that both JW and Hae Jin are bachelors, while Tae Hyun married his high school sweetheart, so....)

17. Given all this talk from JW about loving those cute romantic hugs and kisses, well, talk naturally shifts to all the other things that happen in the bedroom (Kim Gu Ra being provocative as always). JW says that he's not interested in doing a "bed scene" in a drama or film anytime soon because he's not confident about acting while showing his body at the same time. With Alice now, we know that that feeling is still there, even with a shower scene (but I think he did have a "bed scene" in Sweet Sixteen, so that point's changed). He also mentions that he sleeps fully clothed (he says "sweats" specifically), at which point Kim Gu Ra is like, "Yeah, that'll change once you're married."

18. The MCs finally conclude that JW's a good kid (Hong Eun Hee says she wants a son like him) who's got what it takes to have a long-lasting career as an actor, but that he's not quite aggressive or assertive enough in real life :P They also comment on JW's many acting awards, saying that he's only got a Daesang left to have gotten every single tier in terms of acting awards. And, well, we all know what happened there ;) 

22 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I don't recall seeing young JG smiling, but I do see he was excited or at least showed expressions which conveys that he was  happy  spending time with his mom.

Not a big smile, but I think I did see something like a smile when he showed his mom the dragonfly (before promptly pulling so hard on its wing that it comes off, but still).

As for baby-Jin Gyeom (i.e. the one in the amusement park), he's not smiling, but he definitely looks happy: he's like the sort of baby who doesn't cry, but just looks at everything in wide-eyed curiosity (lol - my parents say that I was like that, too). He also seems to like the ice cream and then Tae Yi's balloon well enough.

22 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I recall one of the lady in audience saying that his expressions looked cold in nature, so, yeah people get him wrong if they meet him for the first time.

Yeah. And then he smiles, and it's all, "Aww...so cute!!!"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kittyna said:

Hong Eun Hee says she wants a son like him

He always gets Son-zoned with Noonas :joy:( Too cute for Noonas , too childish for his age group and too strict for younger group)

lol - my parents say that I was like that, too)

Lol! You must have been one hell of a curious kid, my parents only remember about me is eating sand while playing when I was a kid :P

I'm gonna try to go into detail so that you'll get a sense of what happened even if you can't find the video anymore. So sit back and enjoy the ride!

Thanks for explaining the whole episode in detail. It was like almost watching the episode:thumbsup: But, yeah Joo won's talk shows are similar, like his answers never changes according to MC or the show. I think about marriage advice by Cha Tae Yun was only mentioned in "Global Request" musical talk show, it was also for promoting Ghost. And joo won is in similar situation like in 2013, completed a drama, a movie and doing a musical.

And also he mentioned about patrolling in nights when he was in the army, like he use to catch his juniors for breaking curfew and scold them, his eyes instantly changes like from normal person's eyes to aggressive one  and the show runners particular highlight that one,and he also said that he use to take patrolling duty because he gets bored at night since he has been shooting dramas till late nights, so he couldn't sleep. And also, when his juniors ask him about career advice they usually end up yawing whenever he gives them advice in detail :joy:, MC called him a boring counselor

Episode 4 bts

• Like 3

He always gets Son-zoned with Noonas :joy:( Too cute for Noonas , too childish for his age group and too strict for younger group)

Oof...the way you put it like that, it's like he just can't win :lol:

Lol! You must have been one hell of a curious kid, my parents only remember about me is eating sand while playing when I was a kid :P

Yeah, I was the one who was always wandering off because I saw something I wanted to look at. But I wasn't mischievous, either - so if I did come up to a barrier or something, I'd just stop rather than try to climb over.  :P 

And also he mentioned about patrolling in nights when he was in the army, like he use to catch his juniors for breaking curfew and scold them, his eyes instantly changes like from normal person's eyes to aggressive one  and the show runners particular highlight that one,and he also said that he use to take patrolling duty because he gets bored at night since he has been shooting dramas till late nights, so he couldn't sleep. And also, when his juniors ask him about career advice they usually end up yawing whenever he gives them advice in detail :joy:, MC called him a boring counselor

Oh, dear - and I seem to recall JW saying that he liked doing the counsellor part of the job, too. :sweat_smile:

This fan posted some little snippets with English subs on Instagram. It's mostly stuff that was already mentioned in summary articles and whatnot, but you definitely need to check out this one about what JW's like backstage during Ghost if you haven't seen it already ;) 

Early birthday gifts from fans

Compilation of Alice cast updates - including, rather hilariously, baby Min Hyuk. :lol: Why Kwak Si Yang chose that picture to share, though, is beyond me.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Yeah, I was the one who was always wandering off because I saw something I wanted to look at. But I wasn't mischievous, either - so if I did come up to a barrier or something, I'd just stop rather than try to climb over

That's sounds like no fun and also, why do I feel like you were describing Joo Won's childhood, Lol! It is like which he would have done in his childhood, never crossing the line

47 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Oof...the way you put it like that, it's like he just can't win

Jokes apart, I really want him to meet someone who has an polar opposite, like he should meet someone who is funny and energetic,not like joo won is dull, but he shows energy only in his work, I feel like he has very low energy in his personal life and of course not so disruptive that would be counter productive and also, Joo won should also be perfect for her, not like only Joo won's happiness is important

• Like 2

That's sounds like no fun and also, why do I feel like you were describing Joo Won's childhood, Lol! It is like which he would have done in his childhood, never crossing the line

lol - Maybe. I'm not sure what JW has said about what he was like as a child, actually - save that he said he was more outgoing and more of a leader during his primary school days.

Jokes apart, I really want him to meet someone who has an polar opposite, like he should meet someone who is funny and energetic,not like joo won is dull, but he shows energy only in his work,

lol - Like how he's literally bouncing around when he's all pumped up for Ghost? :P It was hilarious that Kim Gu Ra was like, "Why didn't you do that on Taxi?" and his female co-host was like, "Um - because you were literally in a taxi???"

(And then they joked that the way IVY was looking at him during his little dance was the same look that a parent would give their kids. :lol:)

And now for some more miscellaneous goodies:

Jin Gyeom's apartment, now including his office space

Cute fanart - I think this is meant to reference Jin Gyeom going after the cockroaches in his attic :P 

Love this fanart too!

Some famous Hallyu lookalikes - which ones have fooled you? - I'll admit that I've gotten Kim Min Jae/Yeo Jin Gu and Shin Ju Hwan/Ryu Jun Yeol mixed up before :D Not so much Kang Dong Won/Joo Won, though - like, I see the resemblance, but can usually do a decent job telling them apart in pictures.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, kittyna said:

And then they joked that the way IVY was looking at him during his little dance was the same look that a parent would give their kids.

Yeah, I observed it too. For some reason IVY was sort serious in the show, or maybe she was just not into it. 

53 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Some famous Hallyu lookalikes - which ones have fooled you? - I'll admit that I've gotten Kim Min Jae/Yeo Jin Gu and Shin Ju Hwan/Ryu Jun Yeol mixed up before :D Not so much Kang Dong Won/Joo Won, though - like, I see the resemblance, but can usually do a decent job telling them apart in pictures.

Joo won and Kang Dong, maybe, but it depends upon camera angle and joo won with school uniform in Alice trailer looked exactly like Kang Dong Won. But I find Kim Woo Bin and Kim Young-Kwang similar and sometimes I even get confused if the name is not mentioned, like every time I see Kim Woo Bin with a name tag I usually think it is Kim Young-Kwang

57 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Cute fanart - I think this is meant to reference Jin Gyeom going after the cockroaches in his attic

Thanks for explaining context of the art, like I saw it this morning, but I was not able to figure out the context or the scene from drama

• Like 2

Thanks for explaining context of the art, like I saw it this morning, but I was not able to figure out the context or the scene from drama

Just my guess, really - my knowledge of Korean or Japanese isn't anywhere near good enough to read the caption :P But I did see those little sketch lines near Park Jin Gyeom's foot (which suggested he was stomping on something), and, well, the only time we've seen him do that so far is with the cockroaches. ;) 

For some reason IVY was sort serious in the show, or maybe she was just not into it. 

Maybe she's just more serious in real life? I don't know anything about her besides that she's done Ghost with JW twice, so....

Joo won and Kang Dong, maybe, but it depends upon camera angle and joo won with school uniform in Alice trailer looked exactly like Kang Dong Won

If you compare a younger JW and a younger Kang Dong Won at the same age (especially when they're each in their early 20s), then I can definitely see a very close resemblance. But if I were to compare them now, or even side-by-side pictures from their mid-20s onwards, there is a noticeable difference in how their features have matured over time.

But I find Kim Woo Bin and Kim Young-Kwang similar and sometimes I even get confused if the name is not mentioned, like every time I see Kim Woo Bin with a name tag I usually think it is Kim Young-Kwang

I can't say that's happened to me before, but maybe it's because - just by fluke - I haven't gotten around to watching any of Kim Woo Bin's dramas. So most of the shots I've seen from him have been from him playing the "bad boy" type in The Heirs, or magazine photo shoots - and the whole persona I get from those contrasts so strongly from the cute and fluffy vibe I get from Kim Young Kwang's drama characters (so far, I've seen him in PinocchioGood DoctorSweet Stranger and Me and Room No. 9) that I have them as being two very distinct people in my head.

This is also a good chance to point out that, while I have yet to actually mix anyone up, there are enough actors out there now with a vague general resemblance to Song Joong Ki that I sense that's a very popular "look" in Hallyu right now.

Behind-the-scenes footage from Episode 9

Park Si On vs. Park Jin Gyeom - Actually, there were some shots of Jin Gyeom in the hair-drying scene after this that did end up making me think of Park Si On

And, apparently, "Tell Me" is the quintessential "cringe" dance for K-drama guys :loolz: - I think Jin Gyeom's take is still the most awkward, but only just by a hair :P 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 8:10 AM, kittyna said:

So, yeah. Definitely not healthy. By the time I came back, it was with the conclusion that I still liked his good boy image, but that I would stay away from celebrity news outside of actual acting-related stuff for the sake of my own sanity.

But given that, I still can only really bring myself to be interested in one celebrity in any deep sort of way, and so here I am for the time being :)

I get this sentiment.. I tend to take my long time off from soompi due to this too.. human in general is flawed so keeping them in pedestal isn't good for sanity. Ultimately all celebrities has a side that we do not know, nor do we want to know. I just hope his good boy image be intact and he can be consistent towards his personal view of being a 'Humane actor' so far people close to him also said popularity has  not contaminated his sincere and hard working mind.. I hope he can hold on to that not just for his supporters but for himself, so he can be proud and confident. As @kireeti2 said later I also think him being with his family keeps him more grounded. He's someone who openly talks about his close relationship with family members like (Mother, Father and Elder Brother).. So I just hope they keep being his bottom line for every steps he takes.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:33 AM, kireeti2 said:

Btw, did you observe in BTS of that Karaoke scene, where Joo won suddenly became quiet once Lee Da In came into to picture, like, until then joo won was like dancing and singing and teaching Kim Hee Seon how to sing and dance. I sort of felt like that he was a bit shy around Lee Da In or is it just my imagination or  maybe he is still mad that she hit him too hard in that episode 5 scene :joy:

I think so too. They both seemed to be a bit shy around each other. We know JW is a bit more comfortable around Hyung and Noona. So I guess it's because of that.. Also I noticed that Lee Da In in general sang well in the karaoke scene. 

Have you guys watched the full episode of Radio Star yet? If you haven't here is a subtitled link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nPQP8gytnK2lAqGfNrgrx7lX8le1pdcX/view

The uploader is not in soompi but do read soompi JW thread, requested me to put it here so you all can enjoy.

Kim Gura complained a lot about JW's Taxi stories but in JW's defense he did quite well in taxi better than many other appearance of him.. He talked about dating, rumor with other actress ( How there's news about he likes everyone of his co actress-- he was like what I am I supposed to say when you ask me if I like her and then news it as if I am in love with her!!), he did Park si on impression when they asked him to do so.. He did a lot.. but  only catch is that what he says doesn't make him cool rather give the impression of innocent and old fashioned.. that's not enough scoop for media.  Anyways Kim Gura seemed to be satisfied this time and JW seemed to be confident this time 'I am who I am" type of vibe..

Here's some of the clip of Taxi Episode 315 from Youtube.. I think the full episode can be found in illegal site but links can't be share here.

I will share my thoughts on JW's radio star appearance after I watch tonight's Alice episdoe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1