Jump to content

Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]


Father's Day with Joo Won  

10 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is the most fun father (figure) of Joo Won's character? (choose as many as you want)

    • Alice: Yoon Min Hyuk (Kwak Si Yang) - Father
    • Alice: Det. Go Hyeon Seok (Kim Sang Ho) - Father figure
    • Good Doctor: Dr. Choi Woo Seok (Cheon Ho Jin) - Father figure
    • Good Doctor: Park Choon Sung (Jung Ho Keun) - Father
      0
    • Yong Pal: Tae Hyun’s father (Choi Joon Yong) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Han Joo Man (Dok Ko Yeong Jae) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Kim Won Seok (Ahn Nae Sang) - Father figure
      0
    • Nae Il’s Cantabile: Cha Dong Woo (Jung Bo Suk) - Father
      0
    • My Sassy Girl: Gyun Pil Young (Jo Hee Bong) - Father
      0
    • Bridal Mask: Lee Sun (Lee Il Jae) - Father
      0
    • Someone else (Please mention in your comments)
  2. 2. Who is the strictest father (figure) of Joo Won's character? (choose as many as you want)

    • Alice: Yoon Min Hyuk (Kwak Si Yang) - Father
    • Alice: Det. Go Hyeon Seok (Kim Sang Ho) - Father figure
      0
    • Good Doctor: Dr. Choi Woo Seok (Cheon Ho Jin) - Father figure
      0
    • Good Doctor: Park Choon Sung (Jung Ho Keun) - Father
    • Yong Pal: Tae Hyun’s father (Choi Joon Yong) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Han Joo Man (Dok Ko Yeong Jae) - Father
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant: Kim Won Seok (Ahn Nae Sang) - Father figure
      0
    • Nae Il’s Cantabile: Cha Dong Woo (Jung Bo Suk) - Father
    • My Sassy Girl: Gyun Pil Young (Jo Hee Bong) - Father
    • Bridal Mask: Lee Sun (Lee Il Jae) - Father
    • Someone else (Please mention in your comments)
      0
  3. 3. In which drama do you wish that Joo Won’s character should be closer to his dad? (choose as many as you want)

    • Alice
    • My Sassy Girl
      0
    • Yong Pal
      0
    • Naeil’s Cantabile
    • Good Doctor
    • 7th Grade Civil Servant
    • Bridal Mask
      0
    • Ojakgyo Family
    • King of Baking, Kim Takgu

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/23/2021 at 11:41 AM

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 58k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • coolreborn

    11648

  • stearly

    5983

  • mrdimples

    4935

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

The reason why JW was bending down and looking at the man. Cr as tagged. Many asked me why I like JW and why I like him for so long?  THIS. Plus his acting. 

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think you already mentioned this, right? I am asking this because it feels like I have read this comment before.

And, yeah it was sweet of him to protect her in  his childhood house, it's like, he would have done the same thing if his mom was in similar position.

 

Well, I did say I was referring back to a previous post with this comment, so.... ;) 

 

Of course, this whole decision of Jin Gyeom's to shelter Tae Yi in his childhood home came back around to bite him hard in the you-know-what (since, if the "Teacher" is conflating Tae Yi with Park Sun Young, that's one of the first places his minions would look), but it's not like he could have known that.

 

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I thought these scenes would play out in opposite way, like JG would be the one to cook delicious food and will be the one to assemble the table, since he was living by himself for sometime, I thought we would have got some skills by now

 

Also, Jin Gyeom has only lived alone for about a year - prior to that point, he was still living with Go Hyung Seok and his wife. And whatever shady business Captain Go is up to, I see no reason why his wife might not just be a normal ahjummah who's taken a liking to Jin Gyeom (she seems oblivious to her husband's double life for the time being). She's a mother whose son died, and here's this kid who's lost his mother, so I think she would have tried to make up for lost time with her own child by pampering Jin Gyeom. :) 

 

That does make me wonder how Jin Gyeom survived that one year, though - probably with lots of takeout food :P 

 

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

But I think it is too late for, all he can do is avenge her death and make sure her son is safe and gets to live a happy life

 

Yeah. In the Episode 9 preview, it looks like Min Hyuk finally learns the truth about what happened (we see Jin Gyeom watching him at a grave site, so I assume that's Park Sun Young's grave). If so, I would love to see them working together to stop the "Teacher" and to protect Tae Yi now. :) 

 

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think the interests of Teacher and Shi-Young have convergence, like, both want the time travel to be a reality and doesn't want to be destroyed. At least in Shi Young case we know that her incentive for keeping time travel a reality is to keep Alice alive, we don't know why Teacher wants the time travel to stay on. And initially I think teacher made deal in which he must have assured Shi-young that he'll not cause any harm to PSY ans will only take book of prophecy and probably kill her child in order to keep the time travel a reality. But, has things go wrong she must have gotten her in so deep that she can't turn back. Why I suspect that she is involved in PSY murder is because of the drone and it seems like Shi Young position gives her some degree of autonomy to operate drones without the knowledge of anyone in Alice.

 

Ah...that makes sense. I hadn't thought of that angle :) 

 

I can also point out now that Shi Young has been shadowing Tae Yi (2020) lately with the drone. She's probably been doing that on and off ever since she first saw Tae Yi on the camera while spotting for Min Hyuk in Episode 6; however, it looks like she doesn't want anyone to know that she's been doing that, as she'll switch her computer screen to something else whenever another person walks in. In this case, that means she saw that Tae Yi was in trouble at the end of Episode 8, but missed the actual outcome (i.e. Ju Hae Min's death, and his time card somehow accidentally sending Tae Yi forward to 2021).

 

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

But I am not able to understand this rating thing, like for Dramas in tvN and JTBC viewers with 1.2 million has rating of 7%, but the dramas for same viewership as rating of 8 or 9. Like, how does it work, and rankings are also not clear when it comes to tvN and JTBC

 

3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I may be wrong but KBS, SBS and MBC are kind of national channel. You don't need to have cable line to watch this channel in  SK. But tvN, jtbc, OCN these are cable channel. So many people watch this dramas by downloading or from streaming sites. That's why even though a drama from these channels are popular they've low rating because not everyone takes cable service.

 

 

Generally speaking, if I recall correctly, the ratings are estimates of how many households with televisions in Korea were turned on to a particular channel at any given time. That's why the numbers can be different depending on which source the news stories are quoting. Because tvN and JTBC are cable networks that cost extra, that automatically puts them at a disadvantage compared to public broadcast networks like KBS, SBS, and MBC, as fewer households would have them more generally.

 

What this means, though, is that a low rating might not necessarily mean the show is unpopular. Even with an SBS show like Alice, we'll never know how many people watch from any one television, first of all. But also, ratings wouldn't include things like online streams (i.e. if people aren't watching Alice on a television at all but on their computers, phones, etc., then that will affect the percentage of televisions showing Alice, resulting with ratings that appear lower than the true size of the audience).

 

Speaking of which - 5 Reasons to Watch Alice, according to Viu

 

3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

were you guys talking about possible effects of radiation or illegal time travel on Park Jin Gyeom? There's some scene that we may encounter in future episodes.. A first I thought they were blood but some one pointed on twitter that these seems like rashes.. and now that I look closely they're. Interesting is not only they're on 2020 JG a scene looked like they're on 2010 JG!!

 

Dang! I will say I thought at first that those were blood splatters in the 2020 footage - like, maybe Jin Gyeom actually killed whoever killed his mother or something - but the 2010 part definitely looks like that mysterious rash. Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing those in the teaser, but without context, it had looked like he was caught under some sort of curse or something :P And then I completely forgot about it until you brought it up again just now. 

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Yes, some how Alice time travelers are not affected by any radiation whatsoever. So, in this case I think MH can be an asset for JG and TY(2020), in order to do a time travel without affecting from radiation.

 

I do think Jin Gyeom has...some degree of immunity, given his exposure in utero. But sooner or later, it looks like the radiation does end up catching up to him, and on top of everything else that's going on, that won't be fun....

 

By the way, I haven't had a chance to watch JW's appearance on Radio Star or the behind-the-scenes videos with subs yet, so I'll comment on those later.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, kittyna said:

By the way, I haven't had a chance to watch JW's appearance on Radio Star or the behind-the-scenes videos with subs yet, so I'll comment on those later.

Well, Radio star of joo won's episode is yet to air, I think it will air on Wednesday this week.

 

58 minutes ago, kittyna said:

t, it had looked like he was caught under some sort of curse or something :P And then I completely forgot about it until you brought it up again just now. 

And I sort of thought did he get any kind of superpower and he was surprised and scared at the same time

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

What this means, though, is that a low rating might not necessarily mean the show is unpopular. Even with an SBS show like Alice, we'll never know how many people watch from any one television, first of all. But also, ratings wouldn't include things like online streams (i.e. if people aren't watching Alice on a television at all but on their computers, phones, etc., then that will affect the percentage of televisions showing Alice, resulting with ratings that appear lower than the true size of the audience).

And also, Alice is suffering from "Base effect", like the previous dramas which were in same time slot of Alice did not do well, so, that's why first episodes of Alice got low ratings.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And I sort of thought did he get any kind of superpower and he was surprised and scared at the same time

 

lol - I actually thought he looked really disturbed, like, "What the hell is happening to me?!?!" But I guess we'll have to see how that plays out in context.

 

By the way, I was looking back at the recent photos from JW's interview for Ghost, and this really crazy/random thought came to mind: while watching Alice, I definitely got a sense that JW had enough of a physical resemblance with Kim Hee Sun that I could easily see their characters as being related. But this time, looking at these photos in particular, I suddenly realized how "Jin Gyeom" takes after his dad as well - especially in shots like these, where his features look a tad more angular:

 

859a7fb2e4246d226201be2c2422533f.jpg

 

343efb8129f1262ae41e36e846c5f28e.jpg

 

Yeah...that's my weird fangirl thought for the day, don't mind me :) 

 

11 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I couldn't stare at  topless  Joo Won like Joo Won couldn't watch Uie's sexy dance in Happy Together.:ph34r:

 

But I particularly found this scene funny because that park si on tone and I knew they're preparing for Do Yeon's entrance.

 

I didn't get to respond to this earlier, but I'm generally...somewhere between awkwardly shy and completely unfazed whenever I see shirtless guys in dramas.

 

Maybe it's because there's something about the whole concept that still feels very private for me, despite knowing on an intellectual level that this is a consenting professional actor playing a fictional character :P So it somehow still feels like an invasion of privacy for me to stare; I don't turn my face away, necessarily, but I do find my eye settling on something else on that screen. Or, where that's not possible (like a shower screen), just zoning out, to be honest. :confused:

 

Point is, I never get that, "OMG, Oppa's so hot!" sort of reaction and when I see fans who are like that, I'm just like, "Um...what?" The funny thing is, now that I think about it, I think Park Jin Gyeom would sympathize ;) 

 

This is something that's pretty universal for me: doesn't matter if it's JW, or any other actor. However, I will confess to feeling differently when I see JW's characters injured or hurt compared to others - like, if you've ever felt that sympathetic "Ooh, that's gotta hurt" ache deep inside of you (almost like a literal twinge in your stomach) seeing someone else in pain...yeah, that kind of feeling. That's mostly for JW's characters for me, there, but happens less often in other instances - I can't say I understand why, but it just is.

 

[EDIT]

 

Apparently, this is a thing: Kim Hee Sun with 87-line actors

  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

So it somehow still feels like an invasion of privacy for me to stare; I don't turn my face away, necessarily, but I do find my eye settling on something else on that screen. Or, where that's not possible (like a shower screen), just zoning out, to be honest. :confused:

 

high five...that's my auto response too.. :lol:

 

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Point is, I never get that, "OMG, Oppa's so hot!" sort of reaction and when I see fans who are like that, I'm just like, "Um...what?" The funny thing is, now that I think about it, I think Park Jin Gyeom would sympathize ;)

 

Many enter into k fandom and automatically start using "Oppa/Unni" or start stating their favorite actor/idols as collecting Oppas.. I've always called my favorites by name.. I usually call address JW by name too.. only exception is that sometimes I express my adoration for Joo Won by  "Joo Wona" "such a baby" "such a cutie".. :blush: 

 

Calling Oppa/Unni to celebrities is not my thing. In our country within K fandom we sometimes discuss how OPPA is a confusing term you can call it to your brother, you can call it to brotherly people and youn can call it to boyfriend..you just have to use a different tone for each category. :o I remember one day one of my kdrama lover friend jokingly asked what I would like to address my boyfriend/crush in korean.. I answered "Hyaa.." :D I kinda like it very much when Korean girls get angry or frustrated and calls "Hyaa.." I know not so appropriate romantically but that's the only answer I could come up with. I even sometimes mumble "Hyaa.." by myself when I see something that calls for that response!

 

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

This is something that's pretty universal for me: doesn't matter if it's JW, or any other actor. However, I will confess to feeling differently when I see JW's characters injured or hurt compared to others - like, if you've ever felt that sympathetic "Ooh, that's gotta hurt" ache deep inside of you (almost like a literal twinge in your stomach) seeing someone else in pain...yeah, that kind of feeling. That's mostly for JW's characters for me, there, but happens less often in other instances - I can't say I understand why, but it just is.

 

Tell me about it.. :headbang:

I tend to cry with drama characters but with JW's acting I cry a bit more when his characters are in distress.. oh in Alice ep 5 there was when Do Yeon takes her frustration on Jin Gyeom because he went missing for 1 week.. I could understand DY's emotional outburst. But...

 

img.gif

 

img.gif

 

She hit him with bag and started punching him... I was like OWW JOO WON! those hits by bag must have hurt...Ouch! I mean the punches must be light considering the size of Da In.. But those hitting bag..All I could think when watching that was " that look painful!" 

img.gif

(Couldn't resist sharing these painfully beautiful Gif..

Source: https://dalh0ng.tistory.com/109?category=397405 )

 

I don't know if I will make sense or not.. But let me say anyways..

I think I feel more with JW things is because I've found this connection with him that's not just something I celebrate.. It's more like I see and focus on his humane side more. Of course other celebrities' have different touchy side too that their fans love.. But I could connect and adore JW's humane side too much.. and when I saw I become such an ardent fan that I don't just look up to his talents and skills rather his whole persona I wanted that kind of thing to be limited. I didn't want to be that much invested in another celebrity.

 

It's not that I don't adore and don't follow other celebrities it's just I don't want to connect that much emotionally with others that JW made me feel by the way he express his sincerity to his work and people around..and before JW I used to connect with such a way with Fictional Characters only! And I wanted it to remain that way but I just had to watch KBS World and meet JW...! :P

 

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

But this time, looking at these photos in particular, I suddenly realized how "Jin Gyeom" takes after his dad as well - especially in shots like these, where his features look a tad more angular:

 

They have somewhat resemblance- Jin Gyeom and Min Hyuk.. I agree with you.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Many enter into k fandom and automatically start using "Oppa/Unni" or start stating their favorite actor/idols as collecting Oppas.. I've always called my favorites by name.. I usually call address JW by name too.. only exception is that sometimes I express my adoration for Joo Won by  "Joo Wona" "such a baby" "such a cutie".. :blush: 

 

Calling Oppa/Unni to celebrities is not my thing.

 

For me, it only makes sense if the celebrities in question are actually the right age for me to address them as "Oppa" or "Unni" in real life - but honestly, I very seldom do, either. With family, I either refer to actors by their names or by an iconic character's name if that made it easier to visualize who I was talking about (e.g. we had this early phase of referring to JW as "Ma Jun" for a while). It's a lot easier to use names as a Chinese speaker, actually, because even if the names themselves might sound ever-so-slightly foreign to Chinese ears, the actual two/three-character cadence and rhythm of Korean names make them roll off the tongue quite naturally regardless. 

 

But because of that, I do still sometimes struggle with saying the actors' names out loud in English - because I mostly just speak about Hallyu with family in real life, actually saying "Joo Won" aloud with English pronunciation still feels really odd for me, despite having been a big fan and active member of this forum for several years.

 

5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

In our country within K fandom we sometimes discuss how OPPA is a confusing term you can call it to your brother, you can call it to brotherly people and youn can call it to boyfriend..you just have to use a different tone for each category. 

 

There are Chinese equivalents to the whole "Hyung/Oppa/Noona/Unni" thing, so it's not too unusual for me. But yeah, I'd have a hard time imagining myself calling someone I don't know personally any of those.

 

What's funny is that in Hong Kong, at least, "Oppa" has become borrowed into Cantonese to refer specifically to male Korean celebrities :P So, you'd use the Cantonese equivalent to address your real boyfriend/brother/guy friend, but "Oppa" for your Hallyu fan crush.

 

Me? I just use "bias" if I want to specify a favourite - like I do on Hallyu board on Pinterest. In my opinion, it gets to the point without sounding really cringe-y.

 

(Speaking of which, I haven't taken a good look at that blurb in AGES. Most of the favourites are probably no longer updated, but I just can't be bothered to change it either. Regardless, though I'd still list JW as my bias  :))

 

5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I think I feel more with JW things is because I've found this connection with him that's not just something I celebrate.. It's more like I see and focus on his humane side more. Of course other celebrities' have different touchy side too that their fans love.. But I could connect and adore JW's humane side too much.. and when I saw I become such an ardent fan that I don't just look up to his talents and skills rather his whole persona I wanted that kind of thing to be limited. I didn't want to be that much invested in another celebrity.

 

Yeah. I actually am less invested emotionally than I was before. That's actually why I took a long hiatus from Soompi for a while: because I was getting in too deep for it to be healthy and I needed a break to step back and really think about my whole approach to Hallyu and JW in particular. Point is: I actually liked him as a person from the start, and to an extent, I still do. But I was sort of putting him on such a pedestal that it was (in the wake of a number of celebrity-related scandals over the years) giving me genuine anxiety that the same could happen to him.

 

So, yeah. Definitely not healthy. By the time I came back, it was with the conclusion that I still liked his good boy image, but that I would stay away from celebrity news outside of actual acting-related stuff for the sake of my own sanity.

 

But given that, I still can only really bring myself to be interested in one celebrity in any deep sort of way, and so here I am for the time being :) 

 

5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I tend to cry with drama characters but with JW's acting I cry a bit more when his characters are in distress.. oh in Alice ep 5 there was when Do Yeon takes her frustration on Jin Gyeom because he went missing for 1 week.. I could understand DY's emotional outburst. But...

 

5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

She hit him with bag and started punching him... I was like OWW JOO WON! those hits by bag must have hurt...Ouch! I mean the punches must be light considering the size of Da In.. But those hitting bag..All I could think when watching that was " that look painful!" 

 

For me, it was the fight between Jin Gyeom, Min Hyuk, and Yang Hong Seob in Episode 2 - the bit between Jin Gyeom and Min Hyuk was okay for me (since it was more-or-less a fair fight), but that moment when, after Jin Gyeom's been knocked down, Hong Seob just runs up and kicks him...yeah, I felt that. :confounded:

 

And speaking of these injury-related feels...am I the only one who remembers these shots from the really early behind-the-scenes footage? I remember thinking when I first saw them, "Oh, he's gonna get hurt? Well, he is a cop, so that probably comes with the package - but he's the lead, so he'll be fine." Um...yeah. Clearly I was wrong.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

oh in Alice ep 5 there was when Do Yeon takes her frustration on Jin Gyeom because he went missing for 1 week.. I could understand DY's emotional outburst. But...

I felt the same way in this scene, like those punches DY threw at JG must have hurt, I would really like to see BTS of this scenes, like I am wondering how takes it must taken to film this scene.

 

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

But I was sort of putting him on such a pedestal that it was (in the wake of a number of celebrity-related scandals over the years) giving me genuine anxiety that the same could happen to him.

Joo won in a scandal? Lol! Even in parallel universe we will not see any kind of scandal in his life. Like, it's not like that I know him personally, but you can always judge a person with people he surrounds himself with and most of the Musical actor/actress are like very clean as far as I know. And the habits joo won have also plays role in his behavior and most of the times keeps him out of trouble. So, apart from him getting another low rating drama or getting injured while filming, I have no worries about Joo won and also getting into toxic relationship or divorce

 

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

For me, it was the fight between Jin Gyeom, Min Hyuk, and Yang Hong Seob in Episode 2 - the bit between Jin Gyeom and Min Hyuk was okay for me (since it was more-or-less a fair fight), but that moment when, after Jin Gyeom's been knocked down, Hong Seob just runs up and kicks him...yeah, I felt that. 

And speaking of him getting injuries while shooting, I think that's what good actors do. In order to make a scene convincing actors/actress may also have to endure few injuries while shooting and sometimes those injuries make the those scenes remarkable. Case in point : Django Unchained scene of Leonardo DiCaprio, where he got his right hand started bleeding for real in scene where he was supposed to break a glass on the table out of angry, it would have been a serous injury, but they kept filming it and scene was one of the memorable part of the movie. So, yeah, I am worried about Joo won's safety but he will doing such scenes where he will end up getting injuries, but I also admire his passion for acting behind those injuries

 

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

 I mean the punches must be light considering the size of Da In.. But those hitting bag..All I could think when watching that was " that look painful!" 

Btw, did you observe in BTS of that Karaoke scene, where Joo won suddenly became quiet once Lee Da In came into to picture, like, until then joo won was like dancing and singing and teaching Kim Hee Seon how to sing and dance. I sort of felt like that he was a bit shy around Lee Da In or is it just my imagination or  maybe he is still mad that she hit him too hard in that episode 5 scene :joy:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Joo won in a scandal? Lol! Even in parallel universe we will not see any kind of scandal in his life. Like, it's not like that I know him personally, but you can always judge a person with people he surrounds himself with and most of the Musical actor/actress are like very clean as far as I know.

 

They're also actors, and therein lies the crux of the problem. ;) 

 

I think that, for me, it's a trade off: the more I like someone for their acting skills, the more I have to admit that they would also be convincing at acting in real life. It's not something I proactively worry about anymore, but it does help me be...less fazed if something does happen.

 

9 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

So, apart from him getting another low rating drama or getting injured while filming, I have no worries about Joo won and also getting into toxic relationship or divorce

 

I'm not worried about relationship issues - so long as JW himself isn't the toxic one. 

 

Re: the behind-the-scenes videos, I also thought it was funny watching Kim Hee Sun and JW playing around with the fake blood at the end. Since they literally can't move from their positions in the room once the blood's been painted on, it was cute (a bit surreal and morbid, yes, but still cute) how KHS started joking around about being a gumiho (Korean fox spirit who seduces men and then kills them).

 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

 

He's consistently said these things about relationships, so I doubt they'll come back around to bite him. The worst I could see happening is someone saying he's old-fashioned - since he seems to enter a relationship with marriage as an ultimate goal, and I can't say that's true for many millennials - but Korean audiences generally seem to like that. More so than where I'm from, anyway.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

They're also actors, and therein lies the crux of the problem.

Well, he is an actor who still has family support(not financially). We can see a lot of actor would rarely spend their free time with family and often spend their time in clubs or partying with fellow actors. But, joo won spends his most of the free time with his family and we also spends considerable time with his friends but not like partying, but mostly golfing and exploring city. So, my assertion was not just based on emotional thing but also on hard evidence, that most of the actors turn towards drugs is mainly due to loneliness and which is result of having no real moral support in their life. And I think as long as Joo won has his family, I don't think he will ever be stuck in a scandal, at the best he might get a parking ticket or a fine for not wearing seat belt :joy:

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

He's consistently said these things about relationships, so I doubt they'll come back around to bite him. The worst I could see happening is someone saying he's old-fashioned

Saying these things when he is single is one thing and saying these things after a break-up is another thing and I just hope tabloids and fans don't read much into and take it as a personal opinion and not as a opinion on anyone

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, he is an actor who still has family support(not financially). We can see a lot of actor would rarely spend their free time with family and often spend their time in clubs or partying with fellow actors. But, joo won spends his most of the free time with his family and we also spends considerable time with his friends but not like partying, but mostly golfing and exploring city. So, my assertion was not just based on emotional thing but also on hard evidence, that most of the actors turn towards drugs is mainly due to loneliness and which is result of having no real moral support in their life. And I think as long as Joo won has his family, I don't think he ever be stuck in a scandal, at the best he might get parking ticket or fine for not wearing seat belt :joy:

 

Those are all really good points that I agree with completely - but that's also not what I was getting at.

 

It's weird. I feel like we both have the same inner concept that JW is fundamentally a good person who isn't likely to take a dark turn - yet at the same time, we're coming at "goodness" from such completely different angles that I feel like we're speaking on entirely different wavelengths.

 

I have a hard time even articulating this to myself, because it does get philosophical, but let me try here:

 

Outwardly - in terms of his behaviour, hobbies, attitudes towards others, worldviews as stated in interviews, etc. - JW's perfectly fine. I agree with that. But for me, the goodness - or, should I say, morals - that matter are all on the inside of a person. And that's something that we will never 100% know about a person, not even our closest family and friends, simply because it is a fundamental part of human nature for all of us to present curated versions of ourselves.

 

Which means, by extension, that what we see of JW in interviews, social media posts, interactions with others behind-the-scenes, etc. are also curated and most likely don't reflect what he's like on the inside 100%. Of course, that curated self is based on fact, but how much? Most people, I would argue, have a relatively decent degree of truth in their self-representations - but actors' whole careers are built around creating and enacting personas completely different from themselves, so who's to say that the "real" version they present of themselves isn't yet another alter ego?

 

And that's why, as much as I like what I see of JW now, I don't deal in absolutes like, "He'd never get into a scandal". Because it just takes one slip to prove me wrong - and from what I've seen of other celebrity scandals, that's just painful (because we say that JW's too good to get into that sort of trouble - but so did those people's fans).

 

lol - you can see why I had to step away from the fandom for a bit, because taking all this to its logical conclusion will end up making you paranoid :wut: 

 

So now, I've decided to just sit back and enjoy the ride while I still can - I hope JW makes it all the way to the end as he hoped :) 

 

49 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Saying these things when he is single is one thing and saying these things after a break-up is another thing and I just hope tabloids and fans don't read much into and take it as a personal opinion and not as a opinion on anyone

 

I'm confused - are you worried that audiences will take that statement as JW saying everyone should be like that? Or that this could have negative repercussions on his relationship with BoA in hindsight?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Outwardly - in terms of his behaviour, hobbies, attitudes towards others, worldviews as stated in interviews, etc. - JW's perfectly fine. I agree with that. But for me, the goodness - or, should I say, morals - that matter are all on the inside of a person. And that's something that we will never 100% know about a person, not even our closest family and friends, simply because it is a fundamental part of human nature for all of us to present curated versions of ourselves.

So, in other words you are saying that we will never know how Joo won behaves when there is no camera recoding him. Yes, it does make sense, like, I have seen some many times joo won being nice to everyone when he is being recorded, and I think it is a part of marketing strategy, like it is 101 of marketing strategy, like, people tend to trust celebrities who has clean image and maintaining that clean image is seen as non-negotiable thing in Korean entertainment industry. But, I don't feel like not all the things that he has done seems like a market trick to me, some things feels like he does it out of his instincts, like, the way he interacts with his seniors in respectful way. But I did notice a few marketing tricks in his actions, like, he tied shoe lace of fan on his first fan meet while he was performing dance with her. So, yes it is difficult to know what he really is from inside, not even in Joo won's case it is hard what a person is from inside. It's really hard to know intentions behind every action, but, I for one think, there is some degree of authenticity in his behavior on screen, when we compare with his off screen activities, for instance, he is still friends with his musical classmates and they seem to adore him, even in life Vlog they were supportive of him, and I accept not everything in his Vlog is authentic, like him feeding the camera guy is a stunt and he was not very polite towards his assistant or a new guy in his crew when he was asking him to bring him something to eat. I know he is there to help joo won and make him feel comfortable while filming the ad, but I thought he would at least be polite towards that boy when he was making a request, he did used the words "Please and Thanks" but that seem to like a formality thing. And I really don't know if joo won is going to stay the same guy that we know, but I can be sure that he would never be caught in a DUI case (mentioned earlier) and has thin chances of getting to vices like drugs abuse. I don't know how he is going to be towards his partner, whether he will treat her as equal or not, that really depends on advice of his parents, since they seem to hold lot of influence over joo won when it comes to his personal life and he tends to follow their advice sincerely.

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Or that this could have negative repercussions on his relationship with BoA in hindsight?

I didn't want to mention the name, but yes, I was afraid fans might take his statements out of context and read too much into it. But he shouldn't be afraid to express his feelings about relationship because it is his FOE and if someone is offended by it, they have freedom to get offended. I was like when he said he doesn't like "push and pull" like situation in relationship I was like why would you mention it Joo won:cold_sweat:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

So, in other words you are saying that we will never know how Joo won behaves when there is no camera recoding him.

 

In essence, yeah - that's true for everyone (not just JW), but the point is that as long as I'm aware that all I can see is a partial representation of him, then I'm okay with that.

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Yes, it does make sense, like, I have seen some many times joo won being nice to everyone when he is being recorded, and I think it is a part of marketing strategy, like it is 101 of marketing strategy, like, people tend to trust celebrities who has clean image and maintaining that clean image is seen as non-negotiable thing in Korean entertainment industry.

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

It's really hard to know intentions behind every action, but, I for one think, there is some degree of authenticity in his behavior on screen, when we compare with his off screen activities, for instance, he is still friends with his musical classmates and they seem to adore him, even in life Vlog they were supportive of him, and I accept not everything in his Vlog is authentic, like him feeding the camera guy is a stunt and he was not very polite towards his assistant or a new guy in his crew when he was asking him to bring him something to eat. I know he is there to help joo won and make him feel comfortable while filming the ad, but I thought he would at least be polite towards that boy when he was making a request, he did used the words "Please and Thanks" but that seem to like a formality thing.

 

Of course, I accept that no-one is ever always at their best, and slips do happen. However, the general pattern, I hope, will still be positive :) 

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

And I really don't know if joo won is going to stay the same guy that we know, but I can be sure that he would never be caught in a DUI case (mentioned earlier) and has thin chances of getting to vices like drugs abuse.

 

Funny that you brought this up, because I just came across this today - I'm not entirely sure (since I had to use Google Translate), but I think it's a list of actors who can play being drunk on screen, but who actually can't drink in real life. Of course, JW was featured here, but I was definitely surprised at some of the others, whose drunk performances definitely had me fooled. :P 

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

I didn't want to mention the name, but yes, I was afraid fans might take his statements out of context and read too much into it. But he shouldn't be afraid to express his feelings about relationship because it is his FOE and if someone is offended by it, they have freedom to get offended. I was like when he said he doesn't like "push and pull" like situation in relationship I was like why would you mention it Joo won

 

I...still don't get how that could turn into a problem, to be honest. My best guess would be that you're concerned netizens might take this as a passive aggressive way for JW to attribute fault in his breakups to his partners, but I have a hard time imagining that would happen. After all, JW made this clear as a benchmark for whether he would date someone at all prior to this relationship, so I think just his dating BoA should be testament that that's not what he thinks of her...yeah, I'm definitely still confused. :P 

 

Personally, I don't believe this stuff, but just for fun (since JW's birthday is coming soon): what celebrities' zodiac signs say about them.

 

Part One

 

Part Two

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I don't I have seen Joo won acting like drunkard for long time on screen, like, most of the time he gets doze-off. Unlike Moon Chae-Won, who acts like total drunkard without being doze-off. But yeah, for a guy who never drinks in his real life, he does act well like drunkard

I would also like to share a list, where actor/actress could have been Idols and few names really surprised me, except Joo won's :blush:

24 minutes ago, kittyna said:

My best guess would be that you're concerned netizens might take this as a passive aggressive way for JW to attribute fault in his breakups to his partners, but I have a hard time imagining that would happen.

Maybe my fears were misplaced and I was worrying over nothing. :sweatingbullets:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Article summarizing JW's comments on Radio Star

 

I think some of the behind-the-scenes comments about Alice surprised me, but it's good to hear what he was actually thinking while, say, up on the rooftop or doing the shower scene. Also, since we were on the subject to begin with, I thought it was funny reading his story about trying to drink with Kim Hee Sun in real life and - rather predictably - failing miserably in the process :P His confession about how he managed all those occasions when sunbaes pressured him to drink was an eye-opener, though; I always thought he just asked for water.

 

However, looking at how his comments about relationships were summarized here...yeah, I can see how a slightly different translation can get misconstrued. Most fans would know what he actually means, but dang, that's a pretty savage way to translate it.

 

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I don't I have seen Joo won acting like drunkard for long time on screen, like, most of the time he gets doze-off. Unlike Moon Chae-Won, who acts like total drunkard without being doze-off. But yeah, for a guy who never drinks in his real life, he does act well like drunkard

 

I think My Sassy Girl and Alice both had hilarious drunk scenes for JW, but I also liked some of the softer/sadder ones I've seen from him, too. One favourite of mine is actually rather subtle - it's when, in the midst of all the A/S Orchestra related drama, Cha Yoo Jin gets drunk and ends up venting to Nae Il outside her apartment. I dunno, I just liked that one small moment of vulnerability in the midst of everything else that was happening at that point in the drama.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kittyna said:

Article summarizing JW's comments on Radio Star

Thanks for sharing the article, and I have just saw the episode with out subs and I would like to say its worth watching, he can see subtle changes in Joo won, but I like how few things have not changed about him, his reaction of getting surprised by opening his open wide open, thinking carefully before answering a question and his sweet voice while singing. And I do like chemistry between him and IV :blush: And the also the way he holds the door for all the ladies with him while entering the set(not like that he is doing any favors or it is a sign of a strong person) which I have observed it whenever I saw his shows with female cast members(Always been considerate towards them). So, his gentle nature is still intact despite going through rigorous army training process :blush:

6 hours ago, kittyna said:

I think My Sassy Girl and Alice both had hilarious drunk scenes for JW,

My favorite ones are Alice and Ojakgyo Brothers. Like, I literally cried when he begged  his Grandma to forgive Baek Ja-eun. So, yes joo won can show is emotionally side much better when he acts like drunken person

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

My favorite ones are Alice and Ojakgyo Brothers. Like, I literally cried when he begged  his Grandma to forgive Baek Ja-eun.

 

For someone who cries easily in real life, I actually cry very rarely when watching dramas. However, Ojakgyo Brothers was able to do it for me, but for a different scene: the one where Tae Hui's parents finally comfort him after the death of his biological mother while still chiding him for keeping everything bottled up inside. It sounded so much like something my own parents would say to me that I got emotional then.

 

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

So, his gentle nature is still intact despite going through rigorous army training process

 

I actually think that would have served him well during his time as an assistant instructor. :) People say that JW can look intimidating at first, so it's good that his real personality is so different from that first impression.

 

New stills from Alice - Hey, he's actually smiling! :) The description on the picture also says that this moment will be a paradigm shift for Jin Gyeom and Tae Yi, but I wonder how.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

For someone who cries easily in real life, I actually cry very rarely when watching dramas. However, Ojakgyo Brothers was able to do it for me, but for a different scene: the one where Tae Hui's parents finally comfort him after the death of his biological mother while still chiding him for keeping everything bottled up inside. It sounded so much like something my own parents would say to me that I got emotional then.

For someone who rarely cry in real life, I usually cry a lot if the drama has heart  touching scenes, for instance, I still cry when ever Joo Won in Good Doctor explains why he wanted to be a doctor and how he wanted help children so that they grow into an adult and have happy life that his brother did not get to have. This scene always makes me cry and for rest of the scenes in Good Doctor and Ojakgyo Brothers, I cried only once :P

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

I actually think that would have served him well during his time as an assistant instructor. :) People say that JW can look intimidating at first, so it's good that his real personality is so different from that first impression.

He is really tall and on top of that he has a buffed-up body now, so natural people who don't know maybe intimidated in his press, I can say with some experience, when I met my senior for first I was intimidated by his height and I was able to barely speak to him and he was like why are so scared and I spontaneously responded it is because of his height. :lol:

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Hey, he's actually smiling!

I think it can be TY(2020) expectation that he will be laughing when she is going to celebrate his or her birthday or writers need to come up with a better explanation that why he is able to express himself now.

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

It sounded so much like something my own parents would say to me that I got emotional then.

Yeah, I hear you, these kind of conversations are really hard to have with parents and in the scene it almost felt like the his aunt and uncle were apologizing to him for not understanding him well enough

 

Lol! There were like tons of these kind of silly things joo won did on the show. Coming to the show review, I didn't get to see complete show, since it was subbed properly and there was lot of buffering(it is torturous to watch a video with buffer). So, there were some funny parts about Joo won, like Joo won mentioned  one the MC had criticized Joo won earlier, and we was surprised that they did a show with him, and when he remembered doing a talk show with him, he said that joo won spoke about playing basketball with his older brother for 1 hour in that 3 hour talk show(Show name was "Taxi") and rest of the 2 hours we spoke about family, Lol! That scene made me laugh a lot, because MC said because of the guests like Joo won his talk show taxi was canceled(It was funny scene, not like MC and Joo won had a heated debate). And also they talked about Joo won kissing IVY in earlier stage show where they were promoting "Ghost " in 2013, audience got flustered because they were not expecting kiss after completing the song, like it was a natural thing they do on stage after finishing the song. Overall talk show was good and was fun to watch. :blush:

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

He is really tall and on top of that he has a buffed-up body now, so natural people who don't know maybe intimidated in his press, I can say with some experience, when I met my senior for first I was intimidated by his height and I was able to barely speak to him and he was like why are so scared and I spontaneously responded it is because of his height.

 

Point. I also think it's because JW's known for having this really intense, penetrating stare - at least I recall that was the hosts' first impression of him on Healing Camp, while the hosts on Win Win said that he "looked like a bad boy".

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

For someone who rarely cry in real life, I usually cry a lot if the drama has heart  touching scenes, for instance, I still cry when ever Joo Won in Good Doctor explains why he wanted to be a doctor and how he wanted help children so that they grow into an adult and have happy life that his brother did not get to have.

 

I don't recall crying during Good Doctor, but I think I came closest when Park Si On opened up to Cha Yoon Seo about the accident that killed his brother. Again, I think that seeing Si On finally beginning to wrestle with and work through his survivor's guilt really resonated with me for some reason.

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

I think it can be TY(2020) expectation that he will be laughing when she is going to celebrate his or her birthday or writers need to come up with a better explanation that why he is able to express himself now

 

Another possibility is that Jin Gyeom's finally starting to pick up where he left off after Sun Young's death. We know that his empathy and emotional expression gradually improved over the course of his childhood (and we do see him smiling when he was preschool-to-kindergarten-aged - Episodes 7 and 1, respectively), but he probably entered a state of arrested development after his mother died. Maybe the trauma of that loss made it easier for Jin Gyeom to feel/understand and express negative emotions like sadness, fear, disgust, or anger, but positive emotions like happiness were still challenging.

 

I always assumed that Jin Gyeom uses a neutral expression and tone of voice when he's happy, but maybe now, with Tae Yi's guidance (e.g. that whole bit about speaking/texting with aegyo, for instance), he's making more of a conscious effort to show happiness as well.

 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

So, there were some funny parts about Joo won, like Joo won mentioned  one the MC had criticized Joo won earlier, and we was surprised that they did a show with him, and when he remembered doing a talk show with him, he said that joo won spoke about playing basketball with his older brother for 1 hour in that 3 hour talk show(Show name was "Taxi") and rest of the 2 hours we spoke about family, Lol! That scene made me laugh a lot, because MC said because of the guests like Joo won his talk show taxi was canceled(It was funny scene, not like MC and Joo won had a heated debate)

 

Oh, yeah - if you like those in-depth talk shows, JW's appearance on tvN's Taxi is definitely worth checking out. He actually did it at around the same time he was doing Ghost in 2013, so it's double the throwback to see him with that same MC (Kim Gu Ra) again. It was a similar pattern to what happened on Win Win and Healing Camp, where I think one particular host in the group (Kim Gu Ra in this case) kept trying to get some dirt on JW, but wound up coming away from the interview going, "Who the hell is this kid??? I can't get anything!" :lol:

 

(I originally watched the version that was subbed by Joo Won Cuties and uploaded on Dailymotion, but that's gone now. So you need to look for Episode 315, which aired on December 16, 2013 - 2013.12.16).

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Guest changed the title to Joo Won 주원
  • partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..