Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think Chief Go betrayal will be most unexpected and devastating for JG. He respects Chief more than we would had respected his biological father. And I do think he was using JG from the beginning, like from the day his mother died he looked after JG with some ulterior motive. So, I think JG will have tough time fighting JG when he finds out he had something to do with his mother's death

16 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

.Nothing very important happened in latest episode except the BOOM at the end.. Jin Gyeom dead in 2020 and Cheif Go has a bloodied knife at his hand.. Like the episodes are giving us vibes that chief Go is acting very fishy... but none ever really thought he could be involved in killing Jin Gyeom.. I would like to beleive the flashback of JG death scene suggesting Chief Go as the killer is more than what it seem..!

I think I'll wait until I've also watched Episode 8 in full before commenting in any real detail about Go Hyung Seok, but just know that I am really intrigued about what his game is right now. Like, for instance, if he approached Jin Gyeom from the start with an ulterior motive, or if said ulterior motive developed over time. And also, just what his ultimate goal or plan is - because I doubt he got to know Jin Gyeom in 2010 with the motive of killing him in 2020, so clearly a ton of things happened in between to lead to that moment at the end of Episode 8.

Spoiler

It has, for instance, already crossed my mind that he's the Teacher, but how or why is still beyond me.

I think this is the reason why there is some kind of romantic angle between TY and JG. Lot of time travel plots have these kind of similar confusing romantic sub plots, but the in the end it leads to nowhere, so, I am really not worried that TY and JG will end up together even if they are not related. And now that she came to realize that she is spitting image of JG's mom and now she understands why JG is protective of her and hopefully she will not develop further feelings towards him.

But you know what's more important to most people who are very invested in Alice right now? It's the sci fi and mysterious aspect of the drama.. I think thats why wile many are dropping the drama, many are in fact ignoring this teasing romantic hints..

Actually, after watching Episode 7 in full, I feel like the romance...isn't actually as big a deal as people are making it out to be? It's almost like we as viewers have forgotten that there are tons of different kinds of close, intimate relationships and many different kinds of love that aren't actually romantic or sexual. It's like people see them becoming more comfortable around each other and are immediately freaking out that this is going to turn romantic. Not that I blame them: it's a knee-jerk reaction that's heavily shaped by how our culture and media have a tendency to romanticize and sexualize just about everything.

But frankly, if you were to ask me whether Jin Gyeom and Tae Yi like/love each other right now...I'd actually say, "Yes, but not romantically." Because I see that Jin Gyeom has this all-encompassing selfless concern for Tae Yi right now, and when that's combined with his general lack of interest in sexual overtures, it's the sort of foundation that can lead to a very pure and healthy unconditional love that both skips beyond and goes way deeper than romance. It is, as you guys have pointed out, similar to the sort of love that Jin Gyeom had for his mother, and - to a slightly lesser extent - he still has for Do Yeon.

But we need to concentrate on bigger picture now, like why Detective go is working for the Teacher and who was behind the murder of JG's mother and will JG stop the time travel and destroy Alice and where will MH go once the Alice cease to exist.

I still remember what the director of Alice said about this drama ultimately being about a single family - Jin Gyeom, Tae Yi, Min Hyuk - so I hope that the focus is going to be there. From that perspective, the Episode 9 preview looks promising, because it looks like Min Hyuk, at least, is finally starting to piece the truth together.

Actually, I hope he starts doing so already in Episode 8, given that people who time travel using just their time cards tend to suffer severe physical symptoms due to radiation poisoning...and maybe it should be cluing in for him anytime now that Jin Gyeom doesn't have those signs - and, thus, that Jin Gyeom is more like someone from "Alice" than someone from the past. ;) 

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I am glad joo won is enjoying himself and is doing a variety talk show after a long time, I think last talk show was "Happy Together" for his movie promotion "Fashion King".

His final talk show appearance was Healing Camp with Yong Pal, but that one (like Win Win from 2012), is known for going more in-depth than most. Variety show guest appearances like Witch HuntHappy TogetherMaster of the HouseRunning Man, etc. are a bit more constraining, because the guest has to accommodate the show's existing format and cast (which, to be honest, is what audiences are really there to see). The guests are just there for the ride and to get their faces out there, but the focus really isn't on them, their story, etc.

So in that sense, more longform interview formats like Healing Camp and Win Win seem to work better for JW, and I wonder if that's why he chose radio this time around for Alice.

And seeing in roles which have dept and different dimensions, it is sort of unbearable for me to see him doing such acts in variety talks shows,

Well, like it or not, the brutal reality is that JW's one of the few major cash cows his agency has - and yes, I know it sounds crass, but I really do mean that. It's diversified a bit more in the past few years, but it was pretty much only him at first. So he's the one who has to do all these promos, and he's the one who I argue his agency has tried to push into more typical Hallyu star romantic lead roles. I like that this means JW has sufficient bargaining power to choose his own roles at least some of the time (Alice being the recent example, but also ones like Gaksital and Good Doctor), but the more superficial celebrity gimmicks are what he has to churn out in exchange for that power of choice. So I've learned to just roll with it :)  

I actually find this scene funny.. mostly because I could hear Park Si On in Park Jin Gyeom the whole time.. "DHUA JU SHIP ShIYO.." (My pronunciation must be incorrect!).. I wanted to know if I am the only one who got this vibe.. I thought Joo Won totally used Park Si On tone here.

Another reason I found it funny is because I could tell Do Yeon would enter right after that.. just to build some tension.. so I actually had a good laugh when  I was watching this scene.

I haven't watched all of Episode 8 yet (hope to get to it soon, though!), but I will say that this is one pseudo-romance scene that felt kind of forced and unrealistic for me. Like, Jin Gyeom's mistake (i.e. grabbing the white T-shirt underneath as well as the grey sweatshirt) is understandable and something we've all done at least once in our lives, but I'm really surprised that Tae Yi didn't point that out to him when it was really bleeding obvious where this was going.

Maybe she actually did say something, and I just missed it due to lack of subs - if so, I stand corrected. But if she actually didn't intervene or try to correct his mistake, then this bit just felt like it was thrown in there as fan-service. And I'm not a fan of that (pun intended).

By the way, I saw this on Pinterest a while ago, but never got around to sharing it: a different angle of that awesome stunt scene in Episode 1.

84956418733f8dd35065c32e7c66720f.jpg

And we also have some new pics from what appears to be a print/written interview for Ghost.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, kittyna said:

His final talk show appearance was Healing Camp with Yong Pal

Well, it was not like a variety show, like, where celebrity expected to entertain the audience and viewers with his/her actions. Healing camp was more like an personal interview with diverse question, I felt it was more like a fan meet

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Well, like it or not, the brutal reality is that JW's one of the few major cash cows his agency has

I know that, but in order to generate more revenue out of him, Joo won's dramas need to get more ratings, and right now dramas with typical K-drama romance are not able to succeed in getting decent ratings, case in point "Backstreet Rookie". And the only way the agency could maximum revenue if they let Joo won reach his acting potential and waste his talents by making him do routine roles. If his dramas and movies does well then lot of ad agency will give Joo won to act in ads through which his agency can get decent revenue. I hope his agency realize that letting him do roles which are more suitable for Joo won is a Win-Win deal and I hope they see his career in long term perspective and not just short time, like ,they did with "My Sassy Girl", they sort of went with the trend of that time and created a mediocre drama, which I see as a set back to Joo Won. I also hope his agency understands that Joo won doesn't have stardom to lean on to bounce back, all he has his hard work and excellent acting skills which needs to put in good use by letting him do roles which have dept and versatile qualities

Go Hyung Seok, but just know that I am really intrigued about what his game is right now

Yeah, at first I though he would be some kind of collateral damage, got mixed up in  a cross fire. But, I never though he would be a player in this time travel thing, and I suspected his wife would do something like this in order to secure her sons life in another dimension and occasionally meet him through time travel

now that Jin Gyeom doesn't have those signs

I think JG did collapse after time travel, like I don't know if he had radiation on him, but he did got some kind of weakness after time travel

it's the sort of foundation that can lead to a very pure and healthy unconditional love that both skips beyond and goes way deeper than romance

I think JG is doing everything for TY that he wanted to do for his mom, from protecting her to getting every thing that she wants and keeping her comfortable. In JG's point of few she is his mom and it is understandable that TY is confused with feelings she has for JG, she really doesn't know that JG can be her son, so she is having this romantic tension with him. But from next episode he might see those romantic feelings going away, has she gears up to find out mystery behind time travel and about her life.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I hope his agency realize that letting him do roles which are more suitable for Joo won is a Win-Win deal and I hope they see his career in long term perspective and not just short time, like ,they did with "My Sassy Girl", they sort of went with the trend of that time and created a mediocre drama, which I see as a set back to Joo Won. I also hope his agency understands that Joo won doesn't have stardom to lean on to bounce back, all he has his hard work and excellent acting skills which needs to put in good use by letting him do roles which have dept and versatile qualities

In that case, while Alice might not be perfect, I do think it's a step in the right direction for JW's long-term career. It's touching on a number of his strengths - and I still can't really envision any other actor his age playing Park Jin Gyeom as well as he has so far - but by virtue of its action sci-fi genre, we're also not going to get the degree of depth that, say, a more noir or "slice of life" style drama tends to offer (e.g. something like My Ahjussi, for instance). My understanding is that that's where JW himself wants to go as an actor, but if or when that happens isn't entirely up to him. Still, letting him choose his own comeback project is a positive sign, all things considered :)  

This does make me curious, though, about just what other scripts/concepts wound up in the discard pile along the way. We know that JW got over 50 (one source last year even said 70) offers waiting for him at the time of his discharge, and he decided to actually go through them all and make his own choice rather than letting his agency decide all that for him. lol - it's sort of like a more lighthearted version of the parallel universe theory: if JW had chosen one of the other 49 scripts, where would we be now?

Yeah, at first I though he would be some kind of collateral damage, got mixed up in  a cross fire. But, I never though he would be a player in this time travel thing, and I suspected his wife would do something like this in order to secure her sons life in another dimension and occasionally meet him through time travel

lol - You're faster than me, then, because I hadn't thought to conflate Go Hyung Seok with time travel at all until Episode 7 :P Like, I knew there was something shady happening all along, with his reactions to hearing Yoon Tae Yi's name, but I just assumed that he was simply more involved in Park Sun Young's death than he was leading Jin Gyeom to believe. The idea that he could be involved with the whole "Book of Prophecy" stuff as well was a surprise - but it does explain why he's shown in that weird "double take" montage after Sun Young's death in Episode 1. ;) 

I think JG did collapse after time travel, like I don't know if he had radiation on him, but he did got some kind of weakness after time travel

I hadn't commented on this before, but Jin Gyeom's got his own troubling set of symptoms that are markedly different from anyone else's. I first noticed it in Episode 5, when he gets that piercing headache (like, so bad he's curling up in a ball and trying not to scream) while crouched outside his old house - which turns out to be related to the presence of a drone nearby. The same sort of thing happened later that same episode in Yoon Tae Yi's office: and while the fainting was understandable in and of itself (the boy was in shock, after all), the nosebleed definitely freaked me out. :frown:

At the time, with Min Hyuk's comment that "Jin Gyeom must be suffering right now" due to time travel using only the time card, I assumed that those symptoms were what he meant. But now that, come Episode 7, we see that that's not what he meant after all (Min Hyuk meant that mysterious rash), I'm back to square one about just what sort of a toll time travel is taking on Jin Gyeom's health.

But from next episode he might see those romantic feelings going away, has she gears up to find out mystery behind time travel and about her life.

Point. I did get a sense that the cutesy pseudo/one-sided romance was the calm before the storm...and here we are.

And some more miscellaneous goodies:

I've been suspecting this for a while, so it's good to have confirmation that, yes, Park Jin Gyeom does repeat his costumes. It's a small character detail, but I love it for some reason :) 

Some really awesome pieces of fanart:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFYxu-pptZA/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFW_zAYHrXH/ - I really love this one in particular :heart:

And here's yet another funny meme. Yeah, I'm sure many of us have been there :lol:

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, kittyna said:

the nosebleed definitely freaked me out.

Did his nosebleed? I didn't notice that

but by virtue of its action sci-fi genre, we're also not going to get the degree of depth that

That's the draw back in Science Fiction genre, all the character have uni dimension, either they stay good till the end of the drama or bad, no moral dilemma, except I see in the Alice that there is some human side, like sacrifice, which PSY has done and I sort expect JG to do it also in order to protect TY.

it's sort of like a more lighthearted version of the parallel universe theory: if JW had chosen one of the other 49 scripts, where would we be now?

That is really hard to imagine, we don't know what kind of drama scripts he had rejected or at leas choose not to play

But, has he mentioned earlier in many of his interviews that he likes to do dramas in which there are plenty of action scenes, so at least we know why he chose Alice

• Like 2

And now I've finally caught up with Episode 8 of Alice. Since we all already knew and talked about the epic plot twist ending that eclipsed all the other gazillion twists from this drama so far, I actually want to dance around it in this analysis, and focus on other aspects of the episode I liked.

Spoiler

Rather odd fanservice/shirtless Jin Gyeom moment aside, I really, really liked watching all those little moments between Park Jin Gyeom and Yoon Tae Yi in his old house. First of all, seeing Jin Gyeom in his (as I put it last time) "self-appointed one-man witness protection program" mode is just adorable. He's so eager to help, but it's hilarious how he pretty much consistently makes himself look like a total dork in the attempt: he probably close to liquidates his bank account to get all the stuff in Tae Yi's massive wish list, she ends up both a better cook and handy(wo)man than him, he tries to go after the bugs and fails, he can't even poke her with a needle despite knowing that she explicitly asked him to do it.... Point is: Jin Gyeom's so earnest in his care for Tae Yi that I was going back and forth between laughing out loud and squeeing through most of those scenes. :sparklyeyes:

Another thing I loved about this little arc was Jin Gyeom's decision to make his childhood home Tae Yi's safehouse - he's literally bringing her to the place where he still feels the safest and happiest, and that's saying something :) 

But that being said, I actually got fewer romance vibes than I thought I would. The occasional slow-mo moments from Tae Yi's perspective aside (including the one where she watches Jin Gyeom sleeping - and then is so startled when he wakes up that she smacks him, leaving him all, "What did I do?!?!"), I actually sensed that most of their interactions were still platonic, and I especially loved their discussion in the attic about places and the memories we associate with them (until things got awkward - I concede that the scene was genuinely funny, but it still felt shoehorned in). I also loved that Tae Yi refuses to take this whole "witness protection" plan sitting down; she wants to help Jin Gyeom along in his investigation, and ends up being the one to put all the pieces together.

And this gets at the second, bigger reason why I didn't really feel romantic vibes here: because this was the episode where I was most able to see the similarities between Park Sun Young and Yoon Tae Yi. There are so many examples where we see that both of them have the exact same determination and spunk: the confrontation between Sun Young and Oh Shi Young in 1992; 2020-Tae Yi's stubborn determination to solve the complicated mathematical formula in hopes it'd offer a clue to identifying her attacker; and even Tae Yi's assertion to the police in 2021 that "[She'll] take care of things herself" (which I think strongly echoes Sun Young's comments to the doctor after mini-Jin Gyeom's diagnosis) when they offer to find Jin Gyeom's murderer. Up to this point, I felt like Sun Young and Tae Yi had similar looks, but different personalities, but now, I am actually starting to think otherwise.

Another win for this episode: finally Yoo Min Hyuk is starting to piece things together on his end! I was waiting for him to realize that Shi Young lied to him about what happened to 2050-Tae Yi and their child, since it's clear that he never stopped loving them in his own way - yeah, I don't think anyone's buying his, "She dumped me, so why should I care?!" excuse :P 

As for Shi Young's role in all this, it's still unclear whether she knows that Tae Yi took the Book of Prophecy with her, but even if she does, I don't think she's on the side of the "Teacher"  just yet. Instead, I see Shi Young - like Min Hyuk - as being uber-loyal to "Alice"; I think she felt hurt and betrayed that Tae Yi, her "ride or die" best friend, would choose to leave her and Min Hyuk in favour of a child (especially a child who, according to their knowledge of the use of radiation in time travel, would likely not survive anyway). But that's not enough incentive to try to kill Tae Yi/Sun Young, is it?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

46 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I really, really liked watching all those little moments between Park Jin Gyeom and Yoon Tae Yi in his old house. First of all, seeing Jin Gyeom in his (as I put it last time) "self-appointed one-man witness protection program" mode is just adorable

I think you already mentioned this, right? I am asking this because it feels like I have read this comment before.

And, yeah it was sweet of him to protect her in  his childhood house, it's like, he would have done the same thing if his mom was in similar position.

49 minutes ago, kittyna said:

He's so eager to help, but it's hilarious how he pretty much consistently makes himself look like a total dork in the attempt

I thought these scenes would play out in opposite way, like JG would be the one to cook delicious food and will be the one to assemble the table, since he was living by himself for sometime, I thought we would have got some skills by now, but I would also like to point out that an grown adult(she/he) would always behave like JG around parents no matter how old they, I think it's some kind of psychological thing, like I would be in similar situation if I have to doing something around my parents and I most probable end up messing it up, and I would have no problem doing same things which I mess up when they are not around

54 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Point is: Jin Gyeom's so earnest in his care for Tae Yi that I was going back and forth between laughing out loud and squeeing through most of those scenes. 

I almost forgot to enjoy the drama in this rat race of figuring out the various theories associated in the drama. Like, I am more interested in next episode rather than enjoying the present episodes. Now I am realizing it when you have point the adorable things in the episode.

56 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I felt like Sun Young and Tae Yi had similar looks, but different personalities, but now, I am actually starting to think otherwise.

So, basically TY's life is like background of PSY which we never get to know, like how her personality was before giving birth to JG. In initial episodes I too thought that TY and PSY were different persons, but the more I see her interaction with JG the more I sense that she has lot of similarities with PSY.

58 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Another win for this episode: finally Yoo Min Hyuk is starting to piece things together on his end! I was waiting for him to realize that Shi Young lied to him about what happened to 2050-Tae Yi and their child, since it's clear that he never stopped loving them in his own way - yeah, I don't think anyone's buying his, "She dumped me, so why should I care?!" excuse

Yeah, finally! He and the director of Alice were only ones who were oblivious to the things happening around them. And yeah I do think MH was just trying to cover his pain for letting go TY by saying that "Dumping me" thing. But I think it is too late for, all he can do is avenge her death and make sure her son is safe and gets to live a happy life

I don't think she's on the side of the "Teacher"  just yet. Instead, I see Shi Young - like Min Hyuk - as being uber-loyal to "Alice"; I think she felt hurt and betrayed that Tae Yi, her "ride or die" best friend, would choose to leave her and Min Hyuk in favour of a child

I think the interests of Teacher and Shi-Young have convergence, like, both want the time travel to be a reality and doesn't want to be destroyed. At least in Shi Young case we know that her incentive for keeping time travel a reality is to keep Alice alive, we don't know why Teacher wants the time travel to stay on. And initially I think teacher made deal in which he must have assured Shi-young that he'll not cause any harm to PSY ans will only take book of prophecy and probably kill her child in order to keep the time travel a reality. But, has things go wrong she must have gotten her in so deep that she can't turn back. Why I suspect that she is involved in PSY murder is because of the drone and it seems like Shi Young position gives her some degree of autonomy to operate drones without the knowledge of anyone in Alice.

• Like 2

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2020/09/688_296345.html

I am glad that Alice is doing well in Korea, I don't really trust the K-dramas which are internationally popular baring few like (The Kingdom).

But I am not able to understand this rating thing, like for Dramas in tvN and JTBC viewers with 1.2 million has rating of 7%, but the dramas for same viewership as rating of 8 or 9. Like, how does it work, and rankings are also not clear when it comes to tvN and JTBC

• Like 3

21 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Joo won's radio show, for promotion of Ghost Musical

I am glad joo won is enjoying himself and is doing a variety talk show after a long time, I think last talk show was "Happy Together" for his movie promotion "Fashion King". But I do have reservation on such performance by him on these talk(it's just my opinion, and I am happy as long as Joo won is happy and enjoys doing variety shows and talks shows), but I personally feel all the talk shows regardless of region are superficial, on surface they seems to be bringing out the other  side of the actors/actress which fans have never seen before, but they too stick with the standards of audience expectations and opinions. And seeing in roles which have dept and different dimensions, it is sort of unbearable for me to see him doing such acts in variety talks shows, I know I sound like typical K pop fan who wants his idol to behave in a way which is acceptable for the audience, but I just want to see joo won take roles in which he can excel and reach his potential, right now I will like directors have been under utilizing his acting talent, in Alice I do have few disappointments in his acting, like lack of depth. Nevertheless, he looked genuinely happy on the talks show, which is more important than above said reasons

I actually wanted to see Joo Won in vareity talk show after his discharge from military service.. Because I really wanted to hear his experience from military. I've seen in news how many celebrities comes and talk about their experience. As a fan I wanted to get that. I was hoping it will be Happy Together/ Radio Star because these are the only vareity show that mostly does talk. I didn't have much idea about radio star, but did know it was a talk show and at that time Cha Tae Hyun was MC there. But sadly Alice took a long time to air and I didn't get any promotional activity. 

EifC9OcU4AADx5_?format=jpg&name=small

Spoiler

EifC9hgU4AE8eQz?format=jpg&name=small

EiegYJvWoAArdGG?format=jpg&name=360x360

EifC1q-UcAEdqBV?format=jpg&name=360x360

So now that he is in Radio Star I'm quite happy.. I have zero ideas on musical but I'm glad we'll get stories from army(teaser shows that). What is different from other celebrities are that they do not share much of their inner feelings, but he does...Also after watching many interviews of JW I have feeling I can identify what he's sharing genuinely from heart and what he is saying out of politeness or to just promote something... Is it just me.. I think not.

They mentioned Gaksital :omg:

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

I haven't watched all of Episode 8 yet (hope to get to it soon, though!), but I will say that this is one pseudo-romance scene that felt kind of forced and unrealistic for me. Like, Jin Gyeom's mistake (i.e. grabbing the white T-shirt underneath as well as the grey sweatshirt) is understandable and something we've all done at least once in our lives, but I'm really surprised that Tae Yi didn't point that out to him when it was really bleeding obvious where this was going.

Maybe she actually did say something, and I just missed it due to lack of subs - if so, I stand corrected. But if she actually didn't intervene or try to correct his mistake, then this bit just felt like it was thrown in there as fan-service. And I'm not a fan of that (pun intended).

I couldn't stare at  topless  Joo Won like Joo Won couldn't watch Uie's sexy dance in Happy Together.:ph34r:

Spoiler

I am not fan of naked body either. Specially when it's for fan service.. shower scene are done for the purpose of fan service in movies and dramas and I think it's done for keeping a memory how once the actor build such a body. ;) Anyways I tend to avoid looking directly when too much skins are showing with the intention of showing hotness of any gender.. I found out JW isn't an exception too. 

But I particularly found this scene funny because that park si on tone and I knew they're preparing for Do Yeon's entrance.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Dramas in tvN and JTBC viewers with 1.2 million has rating of 7%, but the dramas for same viewership as rating of 8 or 9. Like, how does it work, and rankings are also not clear when it comes to tvN and JTBC

I may be wrong but KBS, SBS and MBC are kind of national channel. You don't need to have cable line to watch this channel in  SK. But tvN, jtbc, OCN these are cable channel. So many people watch this dramas by downloading or from streaming sites. That's why even though a drama from these channels are popular they've low rating because not everyone takes cable service.

52 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

I would like to apologies in advance if you see any unwanted videos after completing the BTS of Alice :sweatingbullets:

ha ha I get you.. Thanks for sharing. 

JW's IG Update today..

EigDcvkWoAAhmCz?format=jpg&name=small

EigDcvjXcAALpdl?format=jpg&name=small

@kireeti2 , @kittyna were you guys talking about possible effects of radiation or illegal time travel on Park Jin Gyeom? There's some scene that we may encounter in future episodes.. A first I thought they were blood but some one pointed on twitter that these seems like rashes.. and now that I look closely they're. Interesting is not only they're on 2020 JG a scene looked like they're on 2010 JG!!

Spoiler

EiGV68yUYAUWnF2?format=jpg&name=small

EiGV7pGU8AElgsp?format=jpg&name=small

EiGd8d5U8AAIBt8?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

were you guys talking about possible effects of radiation or illegal time travel on Park Jin Gyeom? There's some scene that we may encounter in future episodes.

Yes, some how Alice time travelers are not affected by any radiation whatsoever. So, in this case I think MH can be an asset for JG and TY(2020), in order to do a time travel without affecting from radiation.

47 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

and now that I look closely they're. Interesting is not only they're on 2020 JG a scene looked like they're on 2010 JG!!

The teasers and trailers are now more confusing after watching 8 episodes of the drama, baring from few scenes, I am not able to predict anything from teaser and trailer, and I think it's a good thing and keeps me interested in the drama

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think you already mentioned this, right? I am asking this because it feels like I have read this comment before.

And, yeah it was sweet of him to protect her in  his childhood house, it's like, he would have done the same thing if his mom was in similar position.

Well, I did say I was referring back to a previous post with this comment, so.... ;) 

Of course, this whole decision of Jin Gyeom's to shelter Tae Yi in his childhood home came back around to bite him hard in the you-know-what (since, if the "Teacher" is conflating Tae Yi with Park Sun Young, that's one of the first places his minions would look), but it's not like he could have known that.

I thought these scenes would play out in opposite way, like JG would be the one to cook delicious food and will be the one to assemble the table, since he was living by himself for sometime, I thought we would have got some skills by now

Also, Jin Gyeom has only lived alone for about a year - prior to that point, he was still living with Go Hyung Seok and his wife. And whatever shady business Captain Go is up to, I see no reason why his wife might not just be a normal ahjummah who's taken a liking to Jin Gyeom (she seems oblivious to her husband's double life for the time being). She's a mother whose son died, and here's this kid who's lost his mother, so I think she would have tried to make up for lost time with her own child by pampering Jin Gyeom. :) 

That does make me wonder how Jin Gyeom survived that one year, though - probably with lots of takeout food :P 

But I think it is too late for, all he can do is avenge her death and make sure her son is safe and gets to live a happy life

Yeah. In the Episode 9 preview, it looks like Min Hyuk finally learns the truth about what happened (we see Jin Gyeom watching him at a grave site, so I assume that's Park Sun Young's grave). If so, I would love to see them working together to stop the "Teacher" and to protect Tae Yi now. :) 

I think the interests of Teacher and Shi-Young have convergence, like, both want the time travel to be a reality and doesn't want to be destroyed. At least in Shi Young case we know that her incentive for keeping time travel a reality is to keep Alice alive, we don't know why Teacher wants the time travel to stay on. And initially I think teacher made deal in which he must have assured Shi-young that he'll not cause any harm to PSY ans will only take book of prophecy and probably kill her child in order to keep the time travel a reality. But, has things go wrong she must have gotten her in so deep that she can't turn back. Why I suspect that she is involved in PSY murder is because of the drone and it seems like Shi Young position gives her some degree of autonomy to operate drones without the knowledge of anyone in Alice.

Ah...that makes sense. I hadn't thought of that angle :) 

I can also point out now that Shi Young has been shadowing Tae Yi (2020) lately with the drone. She's probably been doing that on and off ever since she first saw Tae Yi on the camera while spotting for Min Hyuk in Episode 6; however, it looks like she doesn't want anyone to know that she's been doing that, as she'll switch her computer screen to something else whenever another person walks in. In this case, that means she saw that Tae Yi was in trouble at the end of Episode 8, but missed the actual outcome (i.e. Ju Hae Min's death, and his time card somehow accidentally sending Tae Yi forward to 2021).

But I am not able to understand this rating thing, like for Dramas in tvN and JTBC viewers with 1.2 million has rating of 7%, but the dramas for same viewership as rating of 8 or 9. Like, how does it work, and rankings are also not clear when it comes to tvN and JTBC

3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I may be wrong but KBS, SBS and MBC are kind of national channel. You don't need to have cable line to watch this channel in  SK. But tvN, jtbc, OCN these are cable channel. So many people watch this dramas by downloading or from streaming sites. That's why even though a drama from these channels are popular they've low rating because not everyone takes cable service.

Generally speaking, if I recall correctly, the ratings are estimates of how many households with televisions in Korea were turned on to a particular channel at any given time. That's why the numbers can be different depending on which source the news stories are quoting. Because tvN and JTBC are cable networks that cost extra, that automatically puts them at a disadvantage compared to public broadcast networks like KBS, SBS, and MBC, as fewer households would have them more generally.

What this means, though, is that a low rating might not necessarily mean the show is unpopular. Even with an SBS show like Alice, we'll never know how many people watch from any one television, first of all. But also, ratings wouldn't include things like online streams (i.e. if people aren't watching Alice on a television at all but on their computers, phones, etc., then that will affect the percentage of televisions showing Alice, resulting with ratings that appear lower than the true size of the audience).

Speaking of which - 5 Reasons to Watch Alice, according to Viu

3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

were you guys talking about possible effects of radiation or illegal time travel on Park Jin Gyeom? There's some scene that we may encounter in future episodes.. A first I thought they were blood but some one pointed on twitter that these seems like rashes.. and now that I look closely they're. Interesting is not only they're on 2020 JG a scene looked like they're on 2010 JG!!

Dang! I will say I thought at first that those were blood splatters in the 2020 footage - like, maybe Jin Gyeom actually killed whoever killed his mother or something - but the 2010 part definitely looks like that mysterious rash. Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing those in the teaser, but without context, it had looked like he was caught under some sort of curse or something :P And then I completely forgot about it until you brought it up again just now. 

Yes, some how Alice time travelers are not affected by any radiation whatsoever. So, in this case I think MH can be an asset for JG and TY(2020), in order to do a time travel without affecting from radiation.

I do think Jin Gyeom has...some degree of immunity, given his exposure in utero. But sooner or later, it looks like the radiation does end up catching up to him, and on top of everything else that's going on, that won't be fun....

By the way, I haven't had a chance to watch JW's appearance on Radio Star or the behind-the-scenes videos with subs yet, so I'll comment on those later.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, kittyna said:

By the way, I haven't had a chance to watch JW's appearance on Radio Star or the behind-the-scenes videos with subs yet, so I'll comment on those later.

Well, Radio star of joo won's episode is yet to air, I think it will air on Wednesday this week.

58 minutes ago, kittyna said:

t, it had looked like he was caught under some sort of curse or something :P And then I completely forgot about it until you brought it up again just now. 

And I sort of thought did he get any kind of superpower and he was surprised and scared at the same time

What this means, though, is that a low rating might not necessarily mean the show is unpopular. Even with an SBS show like Alice, we'll never know how many people watch from any one television, first of all. But also, ratings wouldn't include things like online streams (i.e. if people aren't watching Alice on a television at all but on their computers, phones, etc., then that will affect the percentage of televisions showing Alice, resulting with ratings that appear lower than the true size of the audience).

And also, Alice is suffering from "Base effect", like the previous dramas which were in same time slot of Alice did not do well, so, that's why first episodes of Alice got low ratings.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And I sort of thought did he get any kind of superpower and he was surprised and scared at the same time

lol - I actually thought he looked really disturbed, like, "What the hell is happening to me?!?!" But I guess we'll have to see how that plays out in context.

By the way, I was looking back at the recent photos from JW's interview for Ghost, and this really crazy/random thought came to mind: while watching Alice, I definitely got a sense that JW had enough of a physical resemblance with Kim Hee Sun that I could easily see their characters as being related. But this time, looking at these photos in particular, I suddenly realized how "Jin Gyeom" takes after his dad as well - especially in shots like these, where his features look a tad more angular:

859a7fb2e4246d226201be2c2422533f.jpg

343efb8129f1262ae41e36e846c5f28e.jpg

Yeah...that's my weird fangirl thought for the day, don't mind me :) 

11 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I couldn't stare at  topless  Joo Won like Joo Won couldn't watch Uie's sexy dance in Happy Together.:ph34r:

But I particularly found this scene funny because that park si on tone and I knew they're preparing for Do Yeon's entrance.

I didn't get to respond to this earlier, but I'm generally...somewhere between awkwardly shy and completely unfazed whenever I see shirtless guys in dramas.

Maybe it's because there's something about the whole concept that still feels very private for me, despite knowing on an intellectual level that this is a consenting professional actor playing a fictional character :P So it somehow still feels like an invasion of privacy for me to stare; I don't turn my face away, necessarily, but I do find my eye settling on something else on that screen. Or, where that's not possible (like a shower screen), just zoning out, to be honest. :confused:

Point is, I never get that, "OMG, Oppa's so hot!" sort of reaction and when I see fans who are like that, I'm just like, "Um...what?" The funny thing is, now that I think about it, I think Park Jin Gyeom would sympathize ;) 

This is something that's pretty universal for me: doesn't matter if it's JW, or any other actor. However, I will confess to feeling differently when I see JW's characters injured or hurt compared to others - like, if you've ever felt that sympathetic "Ooh, that's gotta hurt" ache deep inside of you (almost like a literal twinge in your stomach) seeing someone else in pain...yeah, that kind of feeling. That's mostly for JW's characters for me, there, but happens less often in other instances - I can't say I understand why, but it just is.

[EDIT]

Apparently, this is a thing: Kim Hee Sun with 87-line actors

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

So it somehow still feels like an invasion of privacy for me to stare; I don't turn my face away, necessarily, but I do find my eye settling on something else on that screen. Or, where that's not possible (like a shower screen), just zoning out, to be honest. :confused:

high five...that's my auto response too.. :lol:

Point is, I never get that, "OMG, Oppa's so hot!" sort of reaction and when I see fans who are like that, I'm just like, "Um...what?" The funny thing is, now that I think about it, I think Park Jin Gyeom would sympathize ;)

Many enter into k fandom and automatically start using "Oppa/Unni" or start stating their favorite actor/idols as collecting Oppas.. I've always called my favorites by name.. I usually call address JW by name too.. only exception is that sometimes I express my adoration for Joo Won by  "Joo Wona" "such a baby" "such a cutie".. :blush: 

Calling Oppa/Unni to celebrities is not my thing. In our country within K fandom we sometimes discuss how OPPA is a confusing term you can call it to your brother, you can call it to brotherly people and youn can call it to boyfriend..you just have to use a different tone for each category. :o I remember one day one of my kdrama lover friend jokingly asked what I would like to address my boyfriend/crush in korean.. I answered "Hyaa.." :D I kinda like it very much when Korean girls get angry or frustrated and calls "Hyaa.." I know not so appropriate romantically but that's the only answer I could come up with. I even sometimes mumble "Hyaa.." by myself when I see something that calls for that response!

This is something that's pretty universal for me: doesn't matter if it's JW, or any other actor. However, I will confess to feeling differently when I see JW's characters injured or hurt compared to others - like, if you've ever felt that sympathetic "Ooh, that's gotta hurt" ache deep inside of you (almost like a literal twinge in your stomach) seeing someone else in pain...yeah, that kind of feeling. That's mostly for JW's characters for me, there, but happens less often in other instances - I can't say I understand why, but it just is.

Tell me about it.. :headbang:

I tend to cry with drama characters but with JW's acting I cry a bit more when his characters are in distress.. oh in Alice ep 5 there was when Do Yeon takes her frustration on Jin Gyeom because he went missing for 1 week.. I could understand DY's emotional outburst. But...

img.gif

img.gif

She hit him with bag and started punching him... I was like OWW JOO WON! those hits by bag must have hurt...Ouch! I mean the punches must be light considering the size of Da In.. But those hitting bag..All I could think when watching that was " that look painful!" 

img.gif

(Couldn't resist sharing these painfully beautiful Gif..

Source: https://dalh0ng.tistory.com/109?category=397405 )

I don't know if I will make sense or not.. But let me say anyways..

I think I feel more with JW things is because I've found this connection with him that's not just something I celebrate.. It's more like I see and focus on his humane side more. Of course other celebrities' have different touchy side too that their fans love.. But I could connect and adore JW's humane side too much.. and when I saw I become such an ardent fan that I don't just look up to his talents and skills rather his whole persona I wanted that kind of thing to be limited. I didn't want to be that much invested in another celebrity.

It's not that I don't adore and don't follow other celebrities it's just I don't want to connect that much emotionally with others that JW made me feel by the way he express his sincerity to his work and people around..and before JW I used to connect with such a way with Fictional Characters only! And I wanted it to remain that way but I just had to watch KBS World and meet JW...! :P

But this time, looking at these photos in particular, I suddenly realized how "Jin Gyeom" takes after his dad as well - especially in shots like these, where his features look a tad more angular:

They have somewhat resemblance- Jin Gyeom and Min Hyuk.. I agree with you.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Many enter into k fandom and automatically start using "Oppa/Unni" or start stating their favorite actor/idols as collecting Oppas.. I've always called my favorites by name.. I usually call address JW by name too.. only exception is that sometimes I express my adoration for Joo Won by  "Joo Wona" "such a baby" "such a cutie".. :blush: 

Calling Oppa/Unni to celebrities is not my thing.

For me, it only makes sense if the celebrities in question are actually the right age for me to address them as "Oppa" or "Unni" in real life - but honestly, I very seldom do, either. With family, I either refer to actors by their names or by an iconic character's name if that made it easier to visualize who I was talking about (e.g. we had this early phase of referring to JW as "Ma Jun" for a while). It's a lot easier to use names as a Chinese speaker, actually, because even if the names themselves might sound ever-so-slightly foreign to Chinese ears, the actual two/three-character cadence and rhythm of Korean names make them roll off the tongue quite naturally regardless. 

But because of that, I do still sometimes struggle with saying the actors' names out loud in English - because I mostly just speak about Hallyu with family in real life, actually saying "Joo Won" aloud with English pronunciation still feels really odd for me, despite having been a big fan and active member of this forum for several years.

In our country within K fandom we sometimes discuss how OPPA is a confusing term you can call it to your brother, you can call it to brotherly people and youn can call it to boyfriend..you just have to use a different tone for each category. 

There are Chinese equivalents to the whole "Hyung/Oppa/Noona/Unni" thing, so it's not too unusual for me. But yeah, I'd have a hard time imagining myself calling someone I don't know personally any of those.

What's funny is that in Hong Kong, at least, "Oppa" has become borrowed into Cantonese to refer specifically to male Korean celebrities :P So, you'd use the Cantonese equivalent to address your real boyfriend/brother/guy friend, but "Oppa" for your Hallyu fan crush.

Me? I just use "bias" if I want to specify a favourite - like I do on Hallyu board on Pinterest. In my opinion, it gets to the point without sounding really cringe-y.

(Speaking of which, I haven't taken a good look at that blurb in AGES. Most of the favourites are probably no longer updated, but I just can't be bothered to change it either. Regardless, though I'd still list JW as my bias  :))

I think I feel more with JW things is because I've found this connection with him that's not just something I celebrate.. It's more like I see and focus on his humane side more. Of course other celebrities' have different touchy side too that their fans love.. But I could connect and adore JW's humane side too much.. and when I saw I become such an ardent fan that I don't just look up to his talents and skills rather his whole persona I wanted that kind of thing to be limited. I didn't want to be that much invested in another celebrity.

Yeah. I actually am less invested emotionally than I was before. That's actually why I took a long hiatus from Soompi for a while: because I was getting in too deep for it to be healthy and I needed a break to step back and really think about my whole approach to Hallyu and JW in particular. Point is: I actually liked him as a person from the start, and to an extent, I still do. But I was sort of putting him on such a pedestal that it was (in the wake of a number of celebrity-related scandals over the years) giving me genuine anxiety that the same could happen to him.

So, yeah. Definitely not healthy. By the time I came back, it was with the conclusion that I still liked his good boy image, but that I would stay away from celebrity news outside of actual acting-related stuff for the sake of my own sanity.

But given that, I still can only really bring myself to be interested in one celebrity in any deep sort of way, and so here I am for the time being :) 

I tend to cry with drama characters but with JW's acting I cry a bit more when his characters are in distress.. oh in Alice ep 5 there was when Do Yeon takes her frustration on Jin Gyeom because he went missing for 1 week.. I could understand DY's emotional outburst. But...

She hit him with bag and started punching him... I was like OWW JOO WON! those hits by bag must have hurt...Ouch! I mean the punches must be light considering the size of Da In.. But those hitting bag..All I could think when watching that was " that look painful!" 

For me, it was the fight between Jin Gyeom, Min Hyuk, and Yang Hong Seob in Episode 2 - the bit between Jin Gyeom and Min Hyuk was okay for me (since it was more-or-less a fair fight), but that moment when, after Jin Gyeom's been knocked down, Hong Seob just runs up and kicks him...yeah, I felt that. :confounded:

And speaking of these injury-related feels...am I the only one who remembers these shots from the really early behind-the-scenes footage? I remember thinking when I first saw them, "Oh, he's gonna get hurt? Well, he is a cop, so that probably comes with the package - but he's the lead, so he'll be fine." Um...yeah. Clearly I was wrong.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

oh in Alice ep 5 there was when Do Yeon takes her frustration on Jin Gyeom because he went missing for 1 week.. I could understand DY's emotional outburst. But...

I felt the same way in this scene, like those punches DY threw at JG must have hurt, I would really like to see BTS of this scenes, like I am wondering how takes it must taken to film this scene.

But I was sort of putting him on such a pedestal that it was (in the wake of a number of celebrity-related scandals over the years) giving me genuine anxiety that the same could happen to him.

Joo won in a scandal? Lol! Even in parallel universe we will not see any kind of scandal in his life. Like, it's not like that I know him personally, but you can always judge a person with people he surrounds himself with and most of the Musical actor/actress are like very clean as far as I know. And the habits joo won have also plays role in his behavior and most of the times keeps him out of trouble. So, apart from him getting another low rating drama or getting injured while filming, I have no worries about Joo won and also getting into toxic relationship or divorce

For me, it was the fight between Jin Gyeom, Min Hyuk, and Yang Hong Seob in Episode 2 - the bit between Jin Gyeom and Min Hyuk was okay for me (since it was more-or-less a fair fight), but that moment when, after Jin Gyeom's been knocked down, Hong Seob just runs up and kicks him...yeah, I felt that. 

And speaking of him getting injuries while shooting, I think that's what good actors do. In order to make a scene convincing actors/actress may also have to endure few injuries while shooting and sometimes those injuries make the those scenes remarkable. Case in point : Django Unchained scene of Leonardo DiCaprio, where he got his right hand started bleeding for real in scene where he was supposed to break a glass on the table out of angry, it would have been a serous injury, but they kept filming it and scene was one of the memorable part of the movie. So, yeah, I am worried about Joo won's safety but he will doing such scenes where he will end up getting injuries, but I also admire his passion for acting behind those injuries

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I mean the punches must be light considering the size of Da In.. But those hitting bag..All I could think when watching that was " that look painful!" 

Btw, did you observe in BTS of that Karaoke scene, where Joo won suddenly became quiet once Lee Da In came into to picture, like, until then joo won was like dancing and singing and teaching Kim Hee Seon how to sing and dance. I sort of felt like that he was a bit shy around Lee Da In or is it just my imagination or  maybe he is still mad that she hit him too hard in that episode 5 scene :joy:

• Like 2