Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

32 minutes ago, ecs707a said:

@kittyna I like your compilation of child actors!  But *psst* I checked dramawiki and all of them are listed there on the various drama pages so that could have saved you some legwork :D Except for little Tae Hee, but since your post made me curious, I checked the credits of one of the episodes he appeared in.  I don't know for sure either, but my guess is that little Tae Hee was actually Kim Joon Sung (this one), not Hong Hyun Taek, based mostly on resemblance, since I can't confirm it either.  They were both in the show, but I don't know who played whom.

Thanks for the info - and the site recommendation. So...50/50 chance that little Hwang Tae Hee is Kim Joon Sung or Hong Hyun Taek. Got it - and have edited my earlier post accordingly.

Either way, whatever his name, that kid was adorable - such a poor little puppy....

Strangely enough, I did know of DramaWiki, because I already normally use it to look up OST-related stuff, but it somehow crossed my mind to check the Korean Wikipedia sooner than that this time around (probably because my first place to look was the English Wikipedia, so it was easier(?) to just click for the Korean on the sidebar :tongue:).

Oh, well - all's well that ends well, right? :)

32 minutes ago, ecs707a said:

I don't know what to add to the discussion about what role he should take next.  Anything he is genuinely excited about.  I'd prefer darker, but funny's all right too.  (Of the recent things he's been in, Overtime/Clocking Out has been the biggest hit with me, lol.)  And I'll leave it at that.

lol - "Clocking Out" is a riot, isn't it? I don't know if it was meant to be scary, but I ended up cracking up throughout most of it instead. And who would have thought that JW could pull off the comically over the top maniacal laugh so well? That was easily one of the funniest "evil laughs" I've ever heard. :D

To be honest, I'm not one of those who strongly prefers JW's more serious roles to his comical ones. Yes, I will admit that he does dark, intense, conflicted, etc. REALLY, REALLY well - such that he's a tough one to match there - and he seems to hold a personal preference for more serious roles over the rom-coms (which are usually the thing that propels actors to Hallyu Star level due to their popularity with the younger audiences that thrive on the teenage heartthrob). However, I definitely think he can also pull off comedy really well. For example, I know a lot of people say "Level 7 Civil Servant" was a poorly written drama...but I enjoyed it, because I enjoyed watching JW's shenanigans (Sorry - love ya, but you deserved every single newspaper beating you got). :D As for those who thought he wasn't funny in 1N2D...says who? I crack up a lot at the stuff he did or said there or on "Life Log".

@airplanegirl Thanks for the throwback videos! I'll definitely will check them out - because along with JW, I'm also missing Kang Ha Neul a good deal right now.....

• Like 3

COMING BACK AFTER WATCHING THE VIDEOS

First things first: I clicked the first video, saw the title of the song, and just went, "Wha....???" lol - Good thing I wasn't listening where my family could hear or see! That would have been a tough one to explain :tongue:

As for the second video, I just skipped forward to get the singing parts - JW and the other male actor were really good, but the actress...something felt off for me. Maybe her voice or singing style just isn't my thing.

I did, prior to watching these clips, have some vague idea what "Spring Awakening" was about, and it never ceases to surprise me how this was where two of the Korean entertainment industry's best-known "good kids" (Joo Won and Kang Ha Neul) had their start. Yes, I know, it's acting, but still...it took me a while to get used to the idea.

By the way, again in regards to the first video. I'm...not exactly sure which of the guys is JW. I know that the main singer in that video is supposed to be Melchior, the character JW plays - but that's not him (if anything, just at first glance, I thought that was KHN, but I'm not entirely sure on that either). I know that he was originally the understudy for Melchior, and understudies are usually hidden somewhere in the Ensemble when not called upon to perform - so is he just one of the many people in the background?

Or was that first video a "concert" version of the song that doesn't actually match the libretto in terms of who sings when? Because I looked up the lyrics to the song (you can find them here - not typing out the name because of Soompi's profanity rules), and the first sung solo and the spoken part that starts at 0:38 are supposed to be the same person - and they're clearly two different guys in this video. In fact, it did cross my mind that the actor speaking could be JW, because that does sound a bit like his speaking voice...but in the close-up, the light's right in his face so that it's hard to make out any features.

So...if @airplanegirl or anyone else more familiar with JW's "Spring Awakening" days could help me out, that would be much appreciated!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kittyna said:

To be honest, I'm not one of those who strongly prefers JW's more serious roles to his comical ones. Yes, I will admit that he does dark, intense, conflicted, etc. REALLY, REALLY well - such that he's a tough one to match there - and he seems to hold a personal preference for more serious roles over the rom-coms (which are usually the thing that propels actors to Hallyu Star level due to their popularity with the younger audiences that thrive on the teenage heartthrob). However, I definitely think he can also pull off comedy really well.

For me, I think I prefer the dark roles because I think those dramas were better.  But I know he can be funny, and I would really like for him to be in a comedic role that really could showcase that (in addition to Clocking Out, of course).  So that's why I'd have him go dark and tortured again, or funny is my second choice :)

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

By the way, again in regards to the first video. I'm...not exactly sure which of the guys is JW. I know that the main singer in that video is supposed to be Melchior, the character JW plays - but that's not him (if anything, just at first glance, I thought that was KHN, but I'm not entirely sure on that either). I know that he was originally the understudy for Melchior, and understudies are usually hidden somewhere in the Ensemble when not called upon to perform - so is he just one of the many people in the background?

I only watched the beginning of the video, but that's definitely Kim Moo Yul, who was the original Melchior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kittyna said:

Or was that first video a "concert" version of the song that doesn't actually match the libretto in terms of who sings when? Because I looked up the lyrics to the song (you can find them here - not typing out the name because of Soompi's profanity rules), and the first sung solo and the spoken part that starts at 0:38 are supposed to be the same person - and they're clearly two different guys in this video. In fact, it did cross my mind that the actor speaking could be JW, because that does sound a bit like his speaking voice...but in the close-up, the light's right in his face so that it's hard to make out any features.

So...if @airplanegirl or anyone else more familiar with JW's "Spring Awakening" days could help me out, that would be much appreciated!

3 hours ago, ecs707a said:

I only watched the beginning of the video, but that's definitely Kim Moo Yul, who was the original Melchior.

Throughout most of the video, Joo Won was seated at the side. The main singer was Kim Moo Yeol. At the time, Joo Won still hadn't taken over his role yet. He was still acting as a swing, and understudy.

For those who aren't sure what a swing is in musical theatre, it is when they have to know the lines and songs of all the lead characters. So anytime the main actor is out, the understudy takes over and the swing has to take over the understudy's role.

You could say a swing is 2nd in line to the main role. So when the main lead + understudy are both out of the show, the swing goes in. It rarely happens, but it does happen.

Joo Won was Kim Moo Yeol's understudy, but he was also a swing. Which meant he would have had to learn all their songs and lines in case sickness plagues the main cast. It happens A LOT! Usually if one is sick, by the next week, a majority of the cast would be out sick.

FLCAWYL.png

As for the second video, I just skipped forward to get the singing parts - JW and the other male actor were really good, but the actress...something felt off for me. Maybe her voice or singing style just isn't my thing.

That other male actor is actually Jo Jung Suk lol! Kang Ha Neul + Jo Jung Suk + Joo Won = the 3 musketeers. 

DJ76NuXU8AAHIWN.jpg

IU9j7U7.png

Source: https://www.soompi.com/2015/10/06/kang-ha-neul-discusses-his-friendship-with-jo-jung-suk-joo-won-and-kim-moo-yeol/

Erm I'm sorry that this turned into a Spring Awakening fangirling post. Spring Awakening has to be one of my most favourite musicals. And when I heard that Joo Won acted in the Korean production of it, I was so happy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Aah Soompi is changing every time I log in!!

On 9/11/2017 at 5:51 PM, kittyna said:

And welcome back, @flutterby06. Yes, we have had a lot of discussion topics come and go - the most recent one was a brainstorm about what sorts of dramas/films/musicals/roles in general we'd like to see JW do after his enlistment ends. I know it's already been a few days since that point, but please feel free to contribute :)

Thanks @kittyna.. About JW next Drama/Film/ Musical Project...I've almost zero Idea about Musicals and I see dramas more than Films. So I'll talk about mainly about dramas. JW expressed his fondness to do a heavy melodrama but without tragedy and I love Melodrama. I'll love to see him do a drama like that. I'd also appreciate seeing him in thriller drama, I'm sure he'll do a terrific job if he get a thriller drama.

I saw that some of you wanted to see him in an antagonistic role, I don't mind him in antagonistic role as long as it has a happy ending. For example, the role "Choi Yoo Jin" that Song Yoonah played in K2.. I remember starting the drama for Ji Chang Wook but all I could see was Choi Yoo Jin( Song Yoonah) . K2(JCW) not really felt like a lead character to me after a while. And I found many of the characters there one dimensional but because of Song Yoonah's character and acting I couldn't leave the drama. And the moment her part ended, I lost my interest. So I'd like seeing  Joo Won in a complex character like that who seems antagonistic but not actually a villain.

And Clocking Out/Overtime type character..Joo Won was absolutely crazy in Clocking Out and I wanted to see a bit more of his craziness..He looked cool. In Entertainment Weekly interview they said that the web-drama may become a full length movie if the response is good. It'd be awesome if they'd make it a full length movie with the original cast.

And lastly,  I'm more of a drama person and if I like a drama enough, I tend to watch it again. I've seen most of his mid length drama at least twice and I always enjoy his roles and dramas. While Bridal Mask, Good Doctor, Yong Pal are awesome, his other dramas are quite enjoyable for me too. I was the type to avoid Saguek Drama if possible (I learned my lesson when I avoided watching BM because it was a historical Drama, I watched it quite late even if I already became a JW fan and knew it was a famous drama. Then when I watched BM, I was thinking that I was so fool to avoid this outstanding drama), but for JW I was eagerly waiting for MSG and as expected MSG didn't disappoint me. While the starting was not very strong, it become very enjoyable episode by episode and I'm happy that JW did this drama.

Okay..I think I'm talking a lot..What I'm trying to say is that I'm hoping to enjoy his next drama too whatever the genre is.

P.S: The drama/movies of JW that I didn't watch yet are- 7th Grade Civil Servant (will see it soon), Don't Click( Is there enough JW? Because I don't enjoy Horror), Sweet Sixteen ( I know the movie is quite tragic and they cut many of JW part, So I don't want to see it).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

Throughout most of the video, Joo Won was seated at the side. The main singer was Kim Moo Yeol. At the time, Joo Won still hadn't taken over his role yet. He was still acting as a swing, and understudy.

For those who aren't sure what a swing is in musical theatre, it is when they have to know the lines and songs of all the lead characters. So anytime the main actor is out, the understudy takes over and the swing has to take over the understudy's role.

You could say a swing is 2nd in line to the main role. So when the main lead + understudy are both out of the show, the swing goes in. It rarely happens, but it does happen.

Joo Won was Kim Moo Yeol's understudy, but he was also a swing. Which meant he would have had to learn all their songs and lines in case sickness plagues the main cast. It happens A LOT! Usually if one is sick, by the next week, a majority of the cast would be out sick.

Thanks for all of that information :) I do enjoy listening to musical theatre, but don't know much about how it works behind the scenes - so, for instance, I knew what an understudy was, but not a swing, although I did recognize the word from reading programs for performances I've seen.

lol - You sound like you're speaking from experience in that last bit - do you work in musical theatre, by any chance? (And sorry if this was already asked and I've just forgotten.)

The funny thing is that the actor you're pointing at in the screenshot - the one who actually IS JW - he'd actually caught my eye towards the end of the clip when everyone gets up and starts dancing around. Something about how he was built or how he moved reminded me of JW, but I wasn't entirely sure. So thanks for the confirmation :)

3 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

That other male actor is actually Jo Jung Suk lol! Kang Ha Neul + Jo Jung Suk + Joo Won = the 3 musketeers. 

I love stories about friendships and friend groups in the Korean entertainment industry, and this one is new to me. So if you have any other goodies to share, please do. I know it might be a rehash for older fans, but for newer fans...it's something more to learn about these guys, including JW.

The anecdote Kang Ha Neul shared sounds really fun and sweet, too. I recall JW mentioning Gwangjang Market as a place he likes to go to for jeon (Korean pancakes) in an interview once, so this story called that up in my mind. lol - I do have to wonder how the drinking part went down, though :D

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

P.S: The drama/movies of JW that I didn't watch yet are- 7th Grade Civil Servant (will see it soon), Don't Click( Is there enough JW? Because I don't enjoy Horror), Sweet Sixteen ( I know the movie is quite tragic and they cut many of JW part, So I don't want to see it).

I personally enjoyed "Level 7 Civil Servant", but I've heard that's one that's more generally disliked. It's not one of my favourites - for JW dramas or dramas more generally - but it was a good chance to look at JW playing a more comedic role. If I could put it simply, I'd say you have to treat it as a parody of the spy-themed rom-com - i.e. neither the spying nor the romantic comedy bits should be taken seriously.

I haven't seen any of JW's films yet (unless "Clocking Out" counts as one), but I hope to someday. Maybe if I wanted to just watch something short...do you have any recommendations on where I should start?

Finally, since we seem to be counting, I haven't watched "Ojakgyo Brothers", "Yong Pal", or "My Sassy Girl" yet. I plan to watch them in consecutive order, and will probably start with "OB" after I finish the drama I'm currently watching ("Saimdang: Light's Diary").

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I personally enjoyed "Level 7 Civil Servant", but I've heard that's one that's more generally disliked. It's not one of my favourites - for JW dramas or dramas more generally - but it was a good chance to look at JW playing a more comedic role.

I tried watching it in 2015. But watched only one episode. I don't intend to hurt anyone, but actually didn't like Choi Kang Hee there ( well I just watched one episode) so I skipped that drama, thought that I'd watch it later and watched other ones at my hand. I know this one is the JW drama that is generally disliked but like you I also know people who enjoyed this drama too. :) And I decided I'd watch it when JW is in the military and the time has come finally.

12 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I haven't seen any of JW's films yet (unless "Clocking Out" counts as one), but I hope to someday. Maybe if I wanted to just watch something short...do you have any recommendations on where I should start?

Oh.. You should watch Catch Me/Steal My Heart, his rom-com movie with Kim Ah Joong. JW was adorable there and two of them looked good together. I enjoyed this one most. You may watch Fatal Intution if you want something serious or thrilling.

OB is a Good choice.. I saw it in the start of this year.The drama itself is good and JW did very well.. You may reserve the Daesung Winning-Yong Pal for last.

Every time I see a JW drama I feel like I'm meeting a new person. There are some other actors I follow but when I see almost none of them goes through the transformation that JW does for each of his projects, it reminds me exactly why I feel so attached with Joo Won's acting.

I'm currently watching Hospital Ship (I try to watch medical dramas unless I dislike the actors) and it reminded me that I wanted to watch Yong Pal for the second time. So I've started watching Yong Pal now. And I've noticed some facial actions and expression that I saw him using frequently here and only for this drama (will try to give a pic later). And I resumed watching 1n2d s2 that I paused for MSG.

• Like 1

lol - You sound like you're speaking from experience in that last bit - do you work in musical theatre, by any chance? (And sorry if this was already asked and I've just forgotten.)

I used to, a long time ago. But for this particular one, it was taken from a radio interview done by musical actress Laura Michelle Kelly. She talked about how usually the virus would start from the kids cause they attend public school, and then the kids would spread the virus to the adults and by the end of the week, both the kids and the adults would be out sick. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

And Clocking Out/Overtime type character..Joo Won was absolutely crazy in Clocking Out and I wanted to see a bit more of his craziness..He looked cool. In Entertainment Weekly interview they said that the web-drama may become a full length movie if the response is good. It'd be awesome if they'd make it a full length movie with the original cast.

I like that "Clocking Out" started as a bit more of an artsy, experimental film. I was, however, initially under the impression from the "Entertainment Weekly" interview that it would be a full length film released online (I guess calling it a "web movie" made for some confusion). So I was a bit surprised at how short the final product was.

That being said, though, I somehow came away with a feeling that this was the sort of project JW would enjoy. He's mentioned that he enjoys the entire process of putting a production together - not just acting, but the behind the scenes stuff, too. "Clocking Out", being a more independent project, gave me that sort of vibe - especially if you've watched the behind the scenes video (lol - just about everything was filmed on green screen in a studio!).

And I could tell from watching the film that JW was genuinely enjoying himself - you can see it in his more comically exaggerated performance that this is the sort of thing where he was just having fun with his character. :)

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I tried watching it in 2015. But watched only one episode. I don't intend to hurt anyone, but actually didn't like Choi Kang Hee there ( well I just watched one episode) so I skipped that drama, thought that I'd watch it later and watched other ones at my hand.

I don't think there's any need to worry about hurting anyone here in your comment. There's a difference between being critical of someone's performance as an actor/actress and attacking their person - I sense that in regards to Choi Kang Hee, for you, it was the former. And out of anyone in the Hallyu fandom, I would expect JW's fans to be mature enough to know the difference anyway - especially if he's called them out for petty behaviour (e.g. fan wars, mocking his co-star if they don't like her, etc.) before in the past. :wink:

Oh.. You should watch Catch Me/Steal My Heart, his rom-com movie with Kim Ah Joong. JW was adorable there and two of them looked good together. I enjoyed this one most. You may watch Fatal Intution if you want something serious or thrilling.

Thanks for the recommendations! I had my eye on these two to begin with - "Catch Me" because it sounds like a fun rom-com, and "Fatal Intuition" because it stars JW together with Yu Hae Jin. :)

I've heard some people say that "Fashion King" was rather mediocre, though - have you seen that? What did you think of it? I kinda want to watch it for the "Life Log" gang, but...would it be a waste of my time?

Every time I see a JW drama I feel like I'm meeting a new person. There are some other actors I follow but when I see almost none of them goes through the transformation that JW does for each of his projects, it reminds me exactly why I feel so attached with Joo Won's acting.

I'm currently watching Hospital Ship (I try to watch medical dramas unless I dislike the actors) and it reminded me that I wanted to watch Yong Pal for the second time. So I've started watching Yong Pal now. And I've noticed some facial actions and expression that I saw him using frequently here and only for this drama (will try to give a pic later).

Oh, yeah - if you do have pics, please share! I'd love to see what expressions you were referring to :)

lol - That's one of the things I noticed while putting together the "Mini Me"s post a while back - since I was compiling screenshots not only of the child actors, but JW in each of the adult roles. He's got a way of putting a slightly different spin on each role - so it's clearly him, yet there are enough subtle differences so that, even if I haven't watched the drama, I could easily identify which one any particular photo is from. Yes, I know he goes for a different "look" as well each time (i.e. hair, makeup, costumes, etc.), but even without that, sometimes you can just...feel when he's in character and when he's being himself (e.g. the difference between a screenshot and a behind the scenes still).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

Thanks for the recommendations! I had my eye on these two to begin with - "Catch Me" because it sounds like a fun rom-com, and "Fatal Intuition" because it stars JW together with Yu Hae Jin. :)

I've heard some people say that "Fashion King" was rather mediocre, though - have you seen that? What did you think of it? I kinda want to watch it for the "Life Log" gang, but...would it be a waste of my time?

I still haven't watched Catch Me.  I'm just rarely (if ever) in the mood for rom-com.

Fashion King was stupid but fun.  You just have to know going in that it's completely over the top and very comic book come to life.  I liked it :D  And yeah, Life Log kind of made it more interesting.  Shin Joo Hwan's character is fun.  And if you keep eyes peeled, you'll even get to see his BFF Se Wook in a blink-and-you'll miss it cameo.

Fatal Intuition I enjoyed to a surprising degree.  The story is really not anything special, but I liked the characters and the overall vibe of the film.  It's my favorite of his movies.

I am guilty of just skimming, so I don't remember who mentioned it (sorry!), but I finally watched Sweet Sixteen a couple of months ago and since I'm talking movies...that movie was straight-up awful.  Only watch if you don't mind trite and melodramatic, somehow at the same time.  So much eye rolling I'm surprised I didn't strain something. The only thing I enjoyed about it at all was the side couple, who got a couple of cute moments.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kittyna said:

Finally, since we seem to be counting, I haven't watched "Ojakgyo Brothers", "Yong Pal", or "My Sassy Girl" yet. I plan to watch them in consecutive order, and will probably start with "OB" after I finish the drama I'm currently watching ("Saimdang: Light's Diary").

I was extremely excited when I read JW would appear in a new film Clocking Out, only to be very very disappointed when I learned the length of the film..

Like @flutterby06 , I highly recommend Catch Me / Steal My Heart for rom-com and Fatal Intuition for thriller/suspense. They are both my favourite JW movies. Catch Me was my first JW movie after I just became a fan and it made me realized he can do rom-com very well too, despite his serious roles in earlier dramas. If you don't mind spoilers, check out this interview (in chi sub) with kiss scenes BTS that are full of aegyo from JW. You can tell JW adores this noona KAJ. He went forward to hug KAJ after a NG and I could see it came so natural to him.

Fatal Intuition opened my eyes to another intense JW - the desperation portrayed in the movie is different from that of Lee Kang To in Gaksital and Kim Tae Hyun in Yongpal. I was also impressed he gained weight and showed his bare face in order to portray a (very) gruff and rough brother in the movie. Speaking in Gyeong-sang dialect was also new to him, but it doesn't affect his acting.

My heart aches whenever I remember a BTS from Fatal Intuition (end of video below). He couldn't stop crying after cut from director. That's how deep he fell into character.

I haven't had time to watch Fashion King yet (can't decide between this and Sweet Sixteen). But I love this clip from Fashion King and have watched it countless times. Imagine JW singing to you on your birthday!

Hope you will share with us your thoughts on OB, Yongpal and MSG after you watched them. Yongpal turned me into a JW fan while OB is my favourite Korean family drama of all times and me thinks JW has the best chemistry with his female lead here. All 3 dramas you mentioned have his close hyung Jung Woong-in too and we know how much he adores JW :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

So...I suppose a list of "Which JW Film Should I Watch?" would look something like this.

If you want sweet and fluffy aegyo, along with some sexy eye candy...Catch Me

If you want action and suspense...Fatal Intuition or Special Investigation Unit

If you want teenage-style horror...Don't Click

If you want something completely wacko and crazy...Fashion King or Clocking Out

If you want campy melodrama full of general hysterics and not much JW at all...Sweet Sixteen (lol at @ecs707a's description!)

There's more that I want to say in response to individual comments, but that will take more time than I have right now. :tongue: Catch you all later!

• Like 1

Altar Boyz + Grease

Kim Namo who acted along-side Joo Won in Altar Boyz, are still really close! Actually, in fact I'm pretty sure he's still close to the rest of the cast members. I remember him attending one of their weddings back in 2013.

cnbnsVH.png

fb20151122.jpg?w=660

twit20151123.jpg?w=660

https://joowoncutie.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/sns-kim-namo-2015-11-2223/

Actually I just wanted to touch on this after coming across an Instagram post about how this person claims she doesn't feel safe with BoA, and how BoA is taking him away. And that she prefers him with Moon Chae Won.

Moon Chae Won has touched on his quite a few times when reporters asked her 'how do you feel about Joo Won?' And she would reply 'we have the same surname!' 

This might seem unimportant to some since Song-Song couple are getting married. The difference is that the 'Songs' have more that 1 clan, whereas the 'Moons' have only 1 clan. Making Joo Won and Moon Chae Won distant relatives. 

I do get sent messages from my followers, that sometimes people send them weird messages claiming that Joo Won and BoA's relationship is fake, and that he didn't go to Japan in May...

• Like 2

"Clock Out" is actually... a disappointing "movie" for me?Hence I barely mentioned. They had three awesome actors, a great premise yet I got such a bad quality commercial-turned-movie instead. But like @kittyna said if Joo Won pairs with another senior actors(or the same ones) and he acts as aloof junior under great premise will be a nice treat.

Spoiler

DKBVRxwVAAAl8i4.jpg

DKBVU4OVwAExfdO.jpg

DKBVWWtUIAARk_Y.jpg

DKBVT3OUMAA1t12.jpg

https://twitter.com/BoAJooWonEng/status/909821086807625728

Well,I don't know how to put tweet here,but it is done by @airplanegirl about Kim Eung Soo Praising Joo Won. There is one interesting story about him and Joo Won. Apparently, Kim Eung Soo being the experienced senior actor, is quite straightforward and has high standard for acting. During an interview, he openly praised how good and hardworking actor Joo Won is. He then compared Joo Won with other young actors he recently(the interview was done in 2012)  worked with and strongly criticized them.(of course he didn't mention their name but just said how they fared compared to Joo Won.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ma OO said:

"@airplanegirl about Kim Eung Soo Praising Joo Won. There is one interesting story about him and Joo Won. Apparently, Kim Eung Soo being the experienced senior actor, is quite straightforward and has high standard for acting. During an interview, he openly praised how good and hardworking actor Joo Won is. He then compared Joo Won with other young actors he recently(the interview was done in 2012)  worked with and strongly criticized them.(of course he didn't mention their name but just said how they fared compared to Joo Won.

This one right? 

lKYhHwE.png

Source: https://joowonenglish.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/kim-ung-soo-joo-won-is-the-key-of-gaksitals-success-he-is-a-great-actor/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, airplanegirl said:

Yes.that is the interview. And there is another one which he compared him to to other actors.

Almost all seniors actors adored him. There are many senior actors who want to act with him too :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Ma OO said:

Yes.that is the interview. And there is another one which he compared him to to other actors.

Almost all seniors actors adored him. There are many senior actors who want to act with him too :) 

I'll try to find that one, because I think I know what interview you are talking about... But for now, I'll post these testimonials from various PDs, directors and co-stars praising his talents.

lvvYkqJ.png

Source: https://joowonenglish.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/nterview-with-bridal-mask-director-yoon-sung-shik-joo-won-is-an-actor-whom-id-like-to-work-with-again/

Xxuy6xQ.png

Source: https://www.soompi.com/2013/08/02/why-was-joo-won-chosen-for-the-good-doctor-lead/

qQDMSnC.png

Source:  https://joowonenglish.wordpress.com/2013/08/07/park-ki-woong-compliments-joo-wons-acting-in-good-doctor/#more-4958

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yah...you guys were on fire today - and I love it! I was away from my computer for most of the day, and just came home to see so much new stuff; keep it up :)

So this will probably be one of those rambling, try-to-reply-to-everything posts - please bear with me!

19 hours ago, ecs707a said:

Fashion King was stupid but fun.  You just have to know going in that it's completely over the top and very comic book come to life.  I liked it :D  And yeah, Life Log kind of made it more interesting.  Shin Joo Hwan's character is fun.  And if you keep eyes peeled, you'll even get to see his BFF Se Wook in a blink-and-you'll miss it cameo.

Oh, wow - Lee Se Wook's in it, too? Now I'll really have to see it. I know he's also an actor, but I haven't seen him outside of his persona as JW's BFF in variety shows like 1N2D or "Life Log" - is he active in theatre instead of on screen? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance!

lol - I just really, REALLY liked the whole gang from "Life Log". Shin Ju Hwan was one of my own personal favourites of the bunch; he just had this really contagious smile, which made him stand out to me both on "Life Log" and on the Fashion People special of "Happy Together. Okay, he only got a few lines in the whole broadcast - I'm sure he talked more, but must have been edited out in favour of JW and Ahn Jae Hyun - but his reactions and other little tidbits were on point ("Transformers" beatboxing, anyone?) I've also seen him in "Producer" in a small role (i.e. always present in the background, but again not speaking much). So I hope he gets bigger parts in the future; he seems to be a really animated guy, and that's probably useful for acting.

16 hours ago, sagaseed said:

Fatal Intuition opened my eyes to another intense JW - the desperation portrayed in the movie is different from that of Lee Kang To in Gaksital and Kim Tae Hyun in Yongpal. I was also impressed he gained weight and showed his bare face in order to portray a (very) gruff and rough brother in the movie. Speaking in Gyeong-sang dialect was also new to him, but it doesn't affect his acting.

I've heard a ton about the amount of work JW put into prepping for his character in "Fatal Intuition". There was an interview that was subsequently shared by Dramabeans where he said he found this role really refreshing as a contrast to his previous ones. Note that the title of the film is translated as "That Man" here - I've also seen "It's Him" and "That Guy" (and "Fatal Intuition", of course)...all for the same movie!

Quote from Joo-won: Growing up and shedding his boyish image on Dramabeans:

He was asked whether he didn’t want to do roles where he looked cool or impressive, and responded, “I find the appearance of being grubby and dirty onscreen extremely satisfying. When you have to look cool onscreen or shoot prettily, I find it very uncomfortable for me. Rather than a good-looking role where I have to be careful not to muss one lock of hair, I’m more comfortable with characters like Jang-woo [in That Man] where it doesn’t matter if I’ve got pepper flakes stuck on me.”

nom_14.jpg

In That Man, his character adores his younger sister, which is apparently a feeling he could relate to (at least, theoretically). Joo-won explained always wanting a little sister to spoil and dote on, going so far as to call it something of a romantic fantasy.

“When I was younger, I pestered my mother about wanting a little sister. I just thought if I had one, she’d be so pretty and I wanted to take care of her, and if she got a boyfriend I would lock her up. [Laughs] Maybe that’s why I found [Ryu] Hye-young, who plays Eun-ji, so cute.”

On the other hand, the role had its difficulties, and a key one was the accent he had to adopt:

“The saturi [dialect]. I held on for three months. After about the first month, I was doing a reading with the director, who’s from Busan, who even suggested that we go with the Seoul accent instead. I thought it was almost like speaking a foreign language, but I got extremely stubborn. It felt like we needed to use the saturi, and I wanted to do it no matter what. I spoke in saturi 24 hours a day. Even after being that stubborn, I felt periodic regret. [Laughs] Thankfully, the others around me looked favorably on it, and later on the director and the actors from Gyeongnam [province] said ‘Ah, not bad.’ That gave me confidence.”

Just a side comment: some commenters on Dramabeans were freaking out at his comment that "If [his hypothetical little sister] got a boyfriend, [he] would lock her up." It's not meant to be sexist - he's just saying he'd be that super overprotective oppa, which is actually what is expected in a Confucian society like South Korea. :wink: I know, because while my family is Chinese, we're also rather traditional and work on the same principle: a man isn't loving if he leaves the women in the family to fend for themselves. (Okay, you might still argue that that's sexist, but I think JW has good intentions.)

5 hours ago, Ma OO said:

"Clock Out" is actually... a disappointing "movie" for me?Hence I barely mentioned. They had three awesome actors, a great premise yet I got such a bad quality commercial-turned-movie instead. But like @kittyna said if Joo Won pairs with another senior actors(or the same ones) and he acts as aloof junior under great premise will be a nice treat.

lol - That's because it is a really cheesy B-movie? In all honesty, the show felt really amateur - like those high school kids who get together to shoot a film and think that using lots of CGI will make it "look cool" enough to cover for bad storytelling. :tongue: But as soon as I got used to that idea, I just decided to watch it just for fun. So...yeah, it's not a good film in its own right at this point of time, but maybe if this group of actors were given a more fleshed out script in the future...something good might actually come out of it. 

16 hours ago, sagaseed said:

Hope you will share with us your thoughts on OB, Yongpal and MSG after you watched them. Yongpal turned me into a JW fan while OB is my favourite Korean family drama of all times and me thinks JW has the best chemistry with his female lead here. All 3 dramas you mentioned have his close hyung Jung Woong-in too and we know how much he adores JW

I've heard really good things about JW's chemistry with UEE on "Ojakgyo Brothers", so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing that. I wonder if they were simply more comfortable with each other to begin with because they already knew each other (even if they had to renegotiate the sunbae-hoobae relationship into a friendship between equals).

And I love seeing Jung Woong In - the only drama I've seen him in is "I Hear Your Voice", but...man, he's good in that one! :)

@airplanegirl Thanks for the "Altar Boyz" and "Grease" goodies :D

9 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

Actually I just wanted to touch on this after coming across an Instagram post about how this person claims she doesn't feel safe with BoA, and how BoA is taking him away. And that she prefers him with Moon Chae Won.

Moon Chae Won has touched on his quite a few times when reporters asked her 'how do you feel about Joo Won?' And she would reply 'we have the same surname!' 

This might seem unimportant to some since Song-Song couple are getting married. The difference is that the 'Songs' have more that 1 clan, whereas the 'Moons' have only 1 clan. Making Joo Won and Moon Chae Won distant relatives. 

I do get sent messages from my followers, that sometimes people send them weird messages claiming that Joo Won and BoA's relationship is fake, and that he didn't go to Japan in May...

Okay, seeing people say stuff like that ticks me off. :angry: I mean, I don't know about how many Moon clans there are - it's commonly cited that there's one, but Wikipedia implies several for some reason. BUT! If Moon Chae Won's not comfortable pursuing a romance with JW because of that risk of accidental incest (the reason why, traditionally, people of the same surname couldn't marry - Chinese had that custom, too), then I think fans should respect that choice. Even if, in reality, the chances of incest are now miniscule (even with just one clan, there are a lot of individual Moons out there), that's her own choice. MCW's made no secret of her reasoning since even before "Good Doctor" went on air - methinks because she wanted to nip any sort of shipping in the bud. So it surprises me that people are still going on about that.

Not to mention that I got more of a noona-dongsaeng (i.e. the actual sibling relationship, not the May-December-romance type) feeling from MCW and JW: both in character in "Good Doctor" and as themselves. lol - it even carries over to their names: Moon Chae Won and Moon Jun Won (or Moon Joo Won if you use that portmanteau) sound like they could be names given to a pair of siblings in real life (if, say, a family with the last name Moon decided to give all their kids "Won" names - in JW's real life family, the family's going with "Jun" names). :D

Not to mention that, in my opinion, any self-respecting JW fan should also respect his choice in now dating BoA as well. (Unless they think she's not a good person and will end up hurting him later on - but that doesn't seem to be the case, as what you're sharing just sounds like a shipping war.)

Finally, @Ma OO and @airplanegirl - so many awesome interviews, most of which I haven't read before. Thanks so much for sharing them! And I'm glad to hear that JW is still loved and respected by his sunbaes - that, to me, is more endearing than having tons of fangirls.

• Like 1

Oh, wow - Lee Se Wook's in it, too? Now I'll really have to see it.

Ummm..barely?  I'll let you find him.  :wink:  He appears towards the end, if I remember correctly.

lol - I just really, REALLY liked the whole gang from "Life Log". Shin Ju Hwan was one of my own personal favourites of the bunch; he just had this really contagious smile, which made him stand out to me both on "Life Log" and on the Fashion People special of "Happy Together.

Haha, I like Shin Joo Hwan too, which is a good thing, because he keeps showing up in things I watch.  Monster last year, then Circle earlier this year.

And then Min Jin Woong in Father is Strange...I probably would have known something about them anyway, eventually, because they're all in the same agency, but Life Log kind of burned them into my brain, lol.

I can still hear the title in my head from all the little cut scenes :)

Xj6XHxj.jpg

13 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

I'm pretty sure it's all legal now, regardless, as long as they're not actually closely related.  The stigma or prejudice may still be there, I don't know.  But bearing that in mind, I always thought she would point that out just to politely hint that it wasn't a subject she was interested in talking about.

4 hours ago, kittyna said:

MCW's made no secret of her reasoning since even before "Good Doctor" went on air - methinks because she wanted to nip any sort of shipping in the bud.

Yeah, basically that :) 

I also thought she seemed very protective of him and affectionate in a sisterly way in Good Doctor BTS.  I'm thinking mostly of that one Joo Sang Wook Life Log-like thing on the day they filmed PKW's cameo, I think :D  MCW kind of herded him off camera with her arm around him and he seemed totally happy to let her do so, haha. 

Anyway, shipping is weird to me, period.  I wish people would remember that they have no say in the matter, and that we do not actually know these people :D And even if we did, we would still have no say.

• Like 2