Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

My trips over and I can read properly all your posts.

Thank you @stearly... You are ao good with your gifs. I  love them all. You are talented. Hope to see more.

42e5950c6ba3.gif&key=81a500dd65d94862ec4

Thank you for the entertaining videos you posted on page 2724.

@kittyna so surprised to see JW dancing, Gangnam Style, Charleston and Kpop dances. ..... In Yong Pal he was all manly and you'd never gussed it. Thanks Kitty .... yes I enjoyed watching them.

@sagaseed thans for posting the variety shows.... hahaha... real funny. On page 2725 you said :

" JW once spoke of how impressed he is with KTH for being so pure despite being in the entertainment industry for so long. I believe he must have seen the dark side of fellow artistes in the entertainment industry and knew how hard it is to resist temptations. But I trust he is mature and highly disciplined as he holds strongly to his goal of becoming a more humane actor :)

I agree with you. Well said.

Here's a paining by a fa.

• Like 2

Today is Korean Independence Day and many people are remembering Joo Won like in the video that @airplanegirl posted or like in this article where he was chosen as a patriot too.

http://viewpeople.co.kr/m/view.php?idx=854

As to me, I just have to post these gifs from my beloved unforgetable drama in this day. The gifs are not my, talanted people from Joo Won dc made it.

5c94030af151.gif

credit: Joo Won dc

Edit: well, can't post the gifs for some reason, something is with me and soompi again (( Anyway, happy Gaksital Day! )

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, stearly said:

@airplanegirl, yeah, I know it and always upload pictures on another site. I'm posting from my fon now, maybe that is why I have problems. Will wait until I'll get to my notebook. :)

Yea, Soompi isn't really mobile friendly. It's so tedious to post on my phone. 

Nice to see things plodding along nicely - with an added boost due to Korea's Liberation Day (seriously, were it not for the fact that Korea actually commemorates the Japanese surrender in 1945 as a holiday, the date would just slip me by).

So - @airplanegirl, @sagaseed, @flutterby06 and @hibiscus23, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on JW on 1N2D as well as on his connections with UTW. I'd said earlier that I would come back to add to the conversation when I had the time, so here goes. Some of this will be replies, and some of this will just be my thoughts.

On 2017-08-13 at 10:45 PM, sagaseed said:

It was really shocking when I first heard about UTW's scandal. He seems to be such a dork in 2D1N behind his intense on screen persona. In fact, when I first watched season 2 in 2012, my focus was on him instead of JW because I was most familiar with him, having watched and liked most of his old dramas.  Apart from feeling shocked and disappointed, my first thought after the scandal was also how our kind-hearted JW will react. He had always looked up to him after his first movie S.I.U where UTW was the lead character. He played a detective and I remembered JW said he was impressed with his manliness while learning lots about movie filming from him. They were both signed with Sim Entertainment then (now Huayi) and UTW was the big hyung who shared with him lots of stories and experiences before JW joined 2D1N. Every member in 2D1N could tell JW really loved UTW very much and they spoke of each other fondly in interviews / shows.

I'm trying to think of the best way to word this, but from things like the "Entertainment Weekly" interview for SIU, UTW's appearance on Win Win with JW as a surprise guest, and even 1N2D itself, my impression is that their friendship was pretty one-sided. It's clear that JW took a very strong liking to UTW while they were both working on SIU, and I sense that even UTW wasn't expecting that. It looks like UTW genuinely welcomed JW's attention, but was also rather bemused about it the whole time, in a "Why does this kid like an ahjussi like me?" sort of way. Adding to my hypothesis that JW was more attached to UTW than the other way around is that I also recall that one of the conditions that JW had prior to joining the cast for 1N2D would be that UTW would still be around as a carry-over from Season 1, and that during the show, JW was often the one to initiate contact (e.g. going over to UTW's side during breaks, cheering him on during games, etc.).

Personally, from watching 1N2D, I think their dynamic shifted as the show progressed. I think UTW's engagement and marriage played a pretty significant role here, because it affected which of the other cast members both he and JW gravitated towards. Given that UTW was already thinking about marriage for a long time prior to publicly announcing his engagement to the other cast members, I noticed that he started spending more time with the married cast members like Cha Tae Hyun. At that point in his life, I think that UTW was looking for someone he could look up to himself as a prospective husband and father - but that also meant that he was, in some ways, giving less than he was receiving in his friendship with JW as he made this transition. Hence, by the time we get to the second half of Season 2, with the change in PD and the addition of Yu Hae Jin, while I still felt that UTW and JW were close, neither spent as much time with each other as they did in earlier episodes.

@sagaseed brought up YHJ as someone whom JW was very close to in more recent years, and I definitely know that they both spoke about it during the Healing Camp episode in 2015. However, I didn't think in terms of UTW leaving the agency as just that the dynamic had already shifted. In his appearance on Taxi, JW remarked that out of the 1N2D cast members, he looked to YHJ as someone who was just as optimistic about marriage and romance than he was, in contrast to Cha Tae Hyun's slightly more pessimistic view (granted, I think CTH was joking when he said what he did about 1 bad thing in a marriage being able to outweigh 99 good things, but point is that JW thought he meant it and strongly disagreed). Thus, by the time I saw him mentioning his get-togethers with YHJ on Healing Camp (hiking on Bukhansan, followed by drinks and chatting either in restaurants or at YHJ's place) and also spending more time chatting with YHJ than UTW on Life Log, I just took it as par for the course.

In my opinion, though, during the second half of Season 2 of 1N2D, I actually think JW might have been closest with Sung Si Kyung - or, rather, JW was SSK's favourite. SSK seemed to me like a very introverted and reserved sort of person: he's notoriously direct about what or whom he likes and/or dislikes, but is otherwise slow to reveal himself to anyone. Given that, in order for someone to be in his inner circle of friends, SSK has to be the one to initiate - and I saw him doing that numerous times with JW over the course of 1N2D. It starts fairly early on, actually - moments like SSK reaching over the ruffling JW's hair first thing in the morning, or trying to hog the spot next to him when they're all sleeping in one room. But over time, it became more obvious to me when, say, SSK had to choose one person to accompany him on a crack-of-dawn shopping trip for breakfast, and he chose JW. Okay, it could just be because JW is the maknae and he also happens to know his way around a kitchen, but given how much time he and his partner would have entirely to themselves, I daresay SSK would choose the one he would have felt most comfortable spending that time with. I also saw that when, on one of the trips to Jeju Island where the guys had to go around on their own, SSK saw JW from a distance and called him over for a break. Finally, in the Boy Scout Camp and Kangeung Bau Trails episodes, I could definitely see that SSK was very protective of JW and genuinely seemed to care for him and his well being: encouraging JW during his attempts to build a campfire (I also noted that he called JW "Joo-won-ie" in that scene, which I think is supposed to be more affectionate than the usual vocative, "Joo-won-ah"), giving him the space to open up about his fears while filming "Good Doctor", calling him over with almost mother-hen-level concern when they set off firecrackers on the beach, etc. The whole thing was just so sweet. :)

So, in my opinion, by the time everyone went their separate ways at the end of 1N2D, JW had a number of bachelor hyungs who got him and looked out for him in ways that UTW either didn't or couldn't. And that's not wrong on UTW's part - they were simply in two entirely different stages in life by that point.

On 2017-08-13 at 10:45 PM, sagaseed said:

JW once spoke of how impressed he is with KTH for being so pure despite being in the entertainment industry for so long. I believe he must have seen the dark side of fellow artistes in the entertainment industry and knew how hard it is to resist temptations. But I trust he is mature and highly disciplined as he holds strongly to his goal of becoming a more humane actor :)

This, I think, is one of JW's greatest strengths - and I see it as a sign that he has matured significantly in the years he's been a celebrity. By watching his Win Win and Healing Camp episodes side by side, I can see that his personal moral and values ahve not changed, BUT he has developed the confidence he needs to stay on that course. Thus, on Win Win, I noticed that he felt a need to justify and/or defend the way he was from the hosts, especially Tak Hae Joon. The fact that JW's episode's preview used music from "The Innocent Man" hints at the theme of the episode: Is JW actually as innocent as he looks? So, yes, they were challenging him - sometimes to points where I felt a little bad for JW. He carried himself quite well, but appeared to be caught off guard by some of their reactions.

However, by the time he appeared on Healing Camp, I sensed that JW had gotten to the point where he would just be like, "Yes, this is me - take it or leave it." He no longer tries to justify his thoughts or actions - he just describes them. Sometimes, there's a bit of wavering when he realizes no one else in the room thinks the same way he does (e.g. that late-night drinking with another man would make him suspicious that his girlfriend's cheating on him - I hope BoA noted that!), but he just bucks up and moves on without coming back to that point and elaborating further. That, to me, suggests that he doesn't care what people think of his values or choices so long as he believes he's doing the right thing according to how his parents raised him - and that, more than anything else, makes me hope that he could stay the course and not give in to temptations along the way.

On 2017-08-13 at 11:16 PM, hibiscus23 said:

Wow @kittyna you're a JW fan pioneer hat's off to you! I agree w/you his being special at that i'm sure makes us fans fall for him - his persona, etc charisma and other good qualities in him which i must say is quite unique in every sense of the word! A real special guy at that!

Thanks! But I'm really not that special. :) It's just that I've spent the past year and a half observing, thinking, and analyzing all by myself, with very little opportunity to share with anyone. So now everything's just pouring out in waves.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

You're welcome @kittyna and am so glad to be a part of this JW thread! You guys may hv seen this on YT already & sorry if it's a dup as i sometimes don't hv time to go back a few pages; and sorry also to some of you if by chance you posted something to me here & hvnt really responded! with so many pages here almost reaching 3,000 i reckon i'd spend a few days to get myself updated w/so many nice/good things about our JW ssi and many thx for those gifs, pix etc. I just saw this on YT & once again sorry if it's already been posted earlier:

isn't he something even while in the military he's got a promotion :) (cr: Kpop on YT for this vid)

• Like 4

@kittyna  Joo Won~ie is called by many of his hyungs and often Wonie also. I have a feeling that Joo Won had a closed friendship with all of his hyungs and I stay believe he has it till now( maybe not so closed already) I still remember Joo Won congratulated Jong Min on Vlive when he won Daesang award.

Through out the years,I have seen Joo Won goes from an innocent man to a matured and morally upright man,upholding certain traditional beliefs.(hopefully it is true in real life) When you talk about BoA,I sometimes wonder am I the only one who was shocked by this strange relationship? Because...I truly don't know about her but she seems to be very opposite of Joo Won.But don't worry,I am not against their relationship... 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ma OO said:

@kittyna  Joo Won~ie is called by many of his hyungs and often Wonie also. I have a feeling that Joo Won has a closed friendship with all of his hyung and I stay believe he has it till now( maybe not so closed already) I still remember Joo Won congratulated Jong Min on Vlive when he won Daesang award.

Through out the years,I have seen Joo Won gone from an innocent man to a matured and morally upright man,upholding certain traditional beliefs.(hopefully it is true in real life) When you talk about BoA,I sometimes wonder am I the only one who was shocked by this strange relationship? Because...I truly don't know about her but she seems to be very opposite of Joo Won.But don't worry,I am not against their relationship... 

@Ma OO........ Interesting observation. Strange relationship , seemingly so different as most of his old fans think. Initially I was like Whaaatttttt ?Boa ? High energy performer and nice " homey" sweet man. I thought she was so Kpop and had just made a foray into making a dance movie based on the famous American movie Footloose. Like you I didn't know much about her ( still don't ) except that she was a great dancer with co-star well known dancer Derek Hough. Like you I was surprised and yes, maybe shocked too. But then I thought that he must been rational and knew what he was doing and most importantly I thought , he has found love, someone to share his life with. I think old JW fans were rooting for Uee or Choi Kang Hee. I read some of JW's own opinions about his feelings for them. Thank you for sharing Ma_OO, one of the very first JW fan.

I found this video with English subtitles to shed a little more light. In spoiler is a video of how good a dancer Boa is.

Spoiler

• Like 3

Poster Shooting for Military Festival. And WOW! Just WOW!

This guy is getting promoted at the light speed! He now has two bars which is a rank higher than last two weeks? And how many months did he stay as private??! Barely 1 month?! I believe they didn't anyhow promote him to next rank for the sake of photoshoot.

EDIT

There's is raewook from suju right? And One more actor which I can't remember the name.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ma OO said:

Through out the years,I have seen Joo Won goes from an innocent man to a matured and morally upright man,upholding certain traditional beliefs.(hopefully it is true in real life) When you talk about BoA,I sometimes wonder am I the only one who was shocked by this strange relationship? Because...I truly don't know about her but she seems to be very opposite of Joo Won.But don't worry,I am not against their relationship... 

lol - Don't worry. It's not just you. My sense from the Japanese songs that I've heard from BoA was that she had a very sexy image at a surprisingly young age (she debuted in her early teens and was doing stuff like "Valenti" by the time she was around 16 or 17). Which, of course, sounds really different from the ideal type that JW has mentioned in interviews, variety shows, etc. But, like @lavender2love, after the initial surprise, I just took it in stride. From his interviews, I sensed that JW was someone who needed to have known a girl for a long time before he actually developed romantic feelings for her, and it's not difficult to fall out of his running. For example, on Taxi, he describes his thought process when approaching a girl he likes, and also what the biggest deal-breaker is for him.

JW: When I look at a woman, the first thing I look at is her attitude towards her elders.

Kim Gu Ra (host): Ah...how she respects her elders?

JW: There were many times I was disappointed in women due to this reason.

KGR: In what way?

JW: Even if the older person has done wrong, the younger person should not point fingers at them. I feel this is not right. No matter how much at fault the older person is. But when I saw how much disrespect is shown, just...

Hong Eun Hee (female host): You think, "This is not it."

JW: I had to hold back my feelings towards her. I will lose interest. This happened many times.

I can't be the only one that's thinking that JW's not an easy guy to impress. I am fully with him on how disrespecting one's elders can be a turn-off, but if just saying that they're wrong counts as disrespect in his book...that's some high standards.

Given that, coming back to BoA, my thought ultimately was that her public image must have been just that - that somehow, offstage, she's the sort of woman that JW likes. Not only that, but in the time they've known each other, she must have passed his test in a way that no-one else has before :)

2 hours ago, lavender2love said:

I think old JW fans were rooting for Uee or Choi Kang Hee. I read some of JW's own opinions about his feelings for them.

lol - I'll admit that I was one of those who felt that JW had genuine feelings for both UEE and Choi Kang Hee. However, since I was learning of all this well after the fact (in 2016 when he worked with UEE and CKH in 2011/2012 and 2013 respectively), I just took it in stride that things didn't work out, but that he stayed friends with them.

1 hour ago, Ma OO said:

Poster Shooting for Military Festival. And WOW! Just WOW!

This guy is getting promoted at the light speed! He now has two bars which is a rank higher than last two weeks? And how many months did he stay as private??! Barely 1 month?! I believe they didn't anyhow promote him to next rank for the sake of photoshoot.

Thanks for sharing! Wow...did JW just become the military's poster child? Somehow, I think that's funny.

I hope it doesn't come back around to bite him, though. The sense I've gotten from media coverage of celebrities' military service is that a sense of public resentment develops if people start thinking like said celebrities are getting special treatment. Granted, I believe that JW's progress, especially right out of training, is based off his own efforts, but if he's getting promoted so quickly...I'm getting a bit concerned about how that's gonna be taken by the Korean public: will they see it as his being a "Patriotic Actor"...or as an example of the nepotism he'd seemed to avoid by refusing the police position in favour of active duty?

@airplanegirl Just saw your GIFs - thanks for making them! lol - Aegyo soldier...never thought I'd see that....

@stearly Thanks for the Mountia pics! But does that mean we're officially out of new JW endorsement photos already?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ma OO said:

I had the same thoughts as you when I first heard of the dating news. But as it went on, I slowly dug deeper into older BoA interviews and found that she came off as someone who was wise beyond her years, and a perhaps a little lonely. 

Based on what she's said, she's not the type to let people in that easily and seemed to have really high standards and was really specific about her ideal type. 

I think a good intro to BoA for Joo Won fans would be her Win Win interview.

36 minutes ago, kittyna said:

lol - Don't worry. It's not just you. My sense from the Japanese songs that I've heard from BoA was that she had a very sexy image at a surprisingly young age (she debuted in her early teens and was doing stuff like "Valenti" by the time she was around 16 or 17). Which, of course, sounds really different from the ideal type that JW has mentioned in interviews, variety shows, etc. But, like @lavender2love, after the initial surprise, I just took it in stride. From his interviews, I sensed that JW was someone who needed to have known a girl for a long time before he actually developed romantic feelings for her, and it's not difficult to fall out of his running. For example, on Taxi, he describes his thought process when approaching a girl he likes, and also what the biggest deal-breaker is for him.

JW: When I look at a woman, the first thing I look at is her attitude towards her elders.

Kim Gu Ra (host): Ah...how she respects her elders?

JW: There were many times I was disappointed in women due to this reason.

KGR: In what way?

JW: Even if the older person has done wrong, the younger person should not point fingers at them. I feel this is not right. No matter how much at fault the older person is. But when I saw how much disrespect is shown, just...

Hong Eun Hee (female host): You think, "This is not it."

JW: I had to hold back my feelings towards her. I will lose interest. This happened many times.

I can't be the only one that's thinking that JW's not an easy guy to impress. I am fully with him on how disrespecting one's elders can be a turn-off, but if just saying that they're wrong counts as disrespect in his book...that's some high standards.

Given that, coming back to BoA, my thought ultimately was that her public image must have been just that - that somehow, offstage, she's the sort of woman that JW likes. Not only that, but in the time they've known each other, she must have passed his test in a way that no-one else has before :)

lol - I'll admit that I was one of those who felt that JW had genuine feelings for both UEE and Choi Kang Hee. However, since I was learning of all this well after the fact (in 2016 when he worked with UEE and CKH in 2011/2012 and 2013 respectively), I just took it in stride that things didn't work out, but that he stayed friends with them.

Based on her interviews, she seems to have loads of aegyo herself. On Win Win, the hosts continually called her 'grandmother' or salted fish girl just because the image she formed during her idol years just seemed so different from her actual personality, and continuously shocked the hosts at how mature she seemed to be at 25.

I don't really know much about her yet, I'm still in the 'getting to know you' phase with her. But so far,  based on what I've seen it seems that she and Joo Won have loads in common. 

• Like 5