Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

stearly said: ctfrsgp said: An interesting fact tat I found in a Chinese korean entertainment news website. they tell how koreans calculate their ages. First U take current year minus birth year. Then if one's birth day is before 1st Mar U r to add 2 years to exact age. if it is in Mar or later U add 1 year. For example, cutie's birth date is 30 Sep 1987, it will be (2013 - 1987) + 1 = 27.

The Drama About Drama Awards
Only if you are interested to know a little more what's behind these award shows. otherwise, skip

It's about a week since the year end awards have been given out by the 3 broadcast stations KBS, SBS and MBC and finally the furore has died down pretty much. I didn't watch SBS or MBC award shows but I read that things were worse there than at KBS. Basically, it's the same thing. Besides the expected fanwars, there were the usual staples of "OMG, she got that award for being a piece of cardboard?" kind of reactions. To placate everyone, one station created mind-blogging categories and virtually gave an award to everyone. Having more than one winner is common place and you wonder what does being the "Best" really mean then? 
Being a cynic, I was never a fan of award shows or for that matter awards itself. This was the first time I was so invested. All because I was hoping Joo Won will receive an award for his awesome act in Bridal Mask. I threw all my usual cynicism away and waited with abated breath. To be honest, I expected him to win, the only thing was that I was hoping for him to win a 'higher' award. And that, I was not very certain, hence the anxiety. It is history now and I was disappointed, so were many of you and his fans all over. Does it surprise me? No, not really. But still I was curious as to how politics of korean entertainment industry work. Someone on Dramabeans had the same question as I did and post it. And I just read the answer and thought it interesting to share :
This is an excerpt from the comment of Mystisith at Dramabeans's 
Dramaland is a gigantic food chain: You try hard not to make enemies and you want to have as many “friends” as possible. Just to be kicked out of the game the later possible. It’s pretty much what you see happening in palaces in sageuks (or in Cheongdamdong Alice or any elitist world). As Orion says often, it’s a very corrupted world. For a channel, if you want to secure the next drama of writer X or Hallyu star Y, you give Awards. You know how people can be positively affected by flattery and gold does the trick… If you look at the filmography of the actors/actresses, you will see than most of them have a kind of “exclusive tacit” contract with 1 broadcaster, with the agreement of their manager of course. If all goes right, they stay. If the drama flops or they are badly treated, they go elsewhere. The big stars like to be part of a channel’s Family cause it gives all kind of advantages (sponsors, media covering). The veterans play for everyone cause they need their paycheck.
Interdependency and “frenemy” relationships at their best. Mostly, giving Awards to prepare the next season instead of rewarding the last one: It’s quite unique.
read full comments at http://www.dramabeans.com/2013/01/open-thread-273/#comments 1.1.2.1 and 1.1.2.2.1
This answer helps me in understanding why Joo Won has been in 3 consecutive KBS shows when he is not beholden to any broadcaster. Truly, he is KBS's blue eyed boy and they have given him very good opportunities like 1N2D after the successes of Baker King and Ojakgyo Brothers. Ditto for Bridal Mask. Maybe the theory that KBS "loan" him MBC in exchange for pulling him over to BM may be closer to home than we think. Definitely, Joo Won is in KBS good books and they have "rewarded" him too. In 2011, he received the rookie award, 2012 the excellence award. So, it's like one step at a time. 
I am fully aware that  if I do not take these awards seriously, it also means that in the future when Joo Won wins the Grand Award for example, I cannot turn round and laud the validity of it. So, winning these awards is a recognition of how valued the artiste is and his potential. In the future, watching Joo Won receive an award will be one which will be filled with the pride of knowing how far he has arrived. As to the excellence of his art and work, the best judge will be myself. 

stearly said:

ctfrsgp said:

An interesting fact tat I found in a Chinese korean entertainment news website. they tell how koreans calculate their ages. First U take current year minus birth year. Then if one's birth day is before 1st Mar U r to add 2 years to exact age. if it is in Mar or later U add 1 year. For example, cutie's birth date is 30 Sep 1987, it will be (2013 - 1987) + 1 = 27.

@ctfrsgp

What a terrible thing to do! :-)

You should take away your age instead of to add

it! :-)

Thank you for the explanations.

Maybe the Koreans are like the Chinese in the sense that they prefer to add years to age. The Chinese way of counting age is always one year older than the actual age. There are also events or situations where you add more years to your age. Maybe they treasure seniority instead of youth or that seniority = experience and wisdom. I am not certain of the reasons although it's my culture, but I am definitely not adding years to my age.  After all, with the billions of dollars spent worldwide all in the pursuit of looking youthful and anti-ageing products abound, who wants to do that? 

I was telling my mom just tat lucky Im not born a korean... else I wil be 2 yrs older every year on my birthday... :(( Andae... :-O