Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Granny is in town and I am showing her Yong Pal! Since it is Joo Won,she is enjoying. Ha. I prepped her about the ending so that she will not be so shocked or angry. XD

So far,so good for now. She said it becomes more interesting for later episodes. We are at ep10 now. 

• Like 8

Even though I agree that most award programs are little more than popularity events, often managed by the more "powerful" entertainment companies (much the way it was in the USA during the "Golden" age of Hollywood), I am somewhat amused when fans  get upset if their particular favorite does not win but if s/he wins then everything is fine. As for Joo Won, I think he is one of the better actors coming out of the current generation of actors and look forward to seeing more of him. Joo Won has said that it is not the award recognition that he seeks but growth as an actor and I see him winning that goals with each new project.

• Like 6

There's a vote ongoing here: http://tv.sohu.com/s2015/sbs/

Unlike those fan / kdrama sites voting, this one seems like a real award that will be given out during SBS Awards.  SBS - Sohu Chinese Netizen Popularity Award.

And so far, Joo Won is leading under the drama awards :wub:

The site is really laggy though. After clicking the blue 投票 Vote button, you have to wait for a pop up which will say if your vote is successful (投票成功) or not (已达到活动上限,请明天再来). So basically, when you start getting the longer message that has a comma, it means you have already reached the daily limit xD I think you can vote twice a day.

Voting ends on 27 December.

PS: The number of votes for the Entertainment category is crazy!! :blink:

• Like 3

Decided to attempt watching Ojakgyo Brothers one more time... letting it roll most of the time, looking up only when I hear Joo Won's voice. hahaha...

I don't get why he was cast as older than the actor who plays his younger (4th son) brother, and his detective lackey - he so clearly looks younger than them!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, rionae said:

Ohh!! The Happy Together episode where Han Chaeah was asked about seeing Joo Won as a man after the kiss!

At 46:44

Thanks for this. It is so much better than what the articles reported. Han Chaeah is straightforward, I like her reply :D 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Decided to attempt watching Ojakgyo Brothers one more time... letting it roll most of the time, looking up only when I hear Joo Won's voice. hahaha...

I don't get why he was cast as older than the actor who plays his younger (4th son) brother, and his detective lackey - he so clearly looks younger than them!

Agree with you,  in this drama he role the police officer in age almost 30, but he still look cute in this drama,  so i think its not fit,  like i write before in this thread,  he must look cool and keep silently,  but when he smile he removes all the stiff impression,  so this role is less suitable for him,  but of course this drama is still good to watch and always melted my heart. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I plan to rewatch OB or rather my favorite parts after I am done with Good Doctor. After Baker King, Joo Won's 180 degree turn in OB was simply awesome. If I didn't remember wrongly, you said he improved a lot from OB to Gaksital. Somehow, I don't see it that way. Rather, I would say he improved tremendously from Baker King to OB. Joo Won did a fantastic job with his portrayal of Lee Kangto which was such a rich character to display his acting prowess. Hwang Taehee was a much quieter and subdued character. I can imagine most actors playing the subdued part but very few can bring forth the emotions which were brewing inside but unable to be expressed. 

Watching Good Doctor now has again made me marvel at Joo Won's acting. A thought came to mind. Was Joo Won the first choice for Good Doctor? Was it offered to others and who could have done this role justice? 

• Like 8

Saw a thread about 'Summer Tears in Paradise' on Baidu.

Previously there was some trailer which stated the release date somewhere in December? Now it's showing the release date as March 2016...... :crazy:

If it releases in December, Joo Won could have watched it himself at the theatres. And movie promotions? Lol.

And btw... that page with the movie details did not even list Joo Won's name on the cast list :crazy: 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, mrdimples said:

I plan to rewatch OB or rather my favorite parts after I am done with Good Doctor. After Baker King, Joo Won's 180 degree turn in OB was simply awesome. If I didn't remember wrongly, you said he improved a lot from OB to Gaksital. Somehow, I don't see it that way. Rather, I would say he improved tremendously from Baker King to OB. Joo Won did a fantastic job with his portrayal of Lee Kangto which was such a rich character to display his acting prowess. Hwang Taehee was a much quieter and subdued character. I can imagine most actors playing the subdued part but very few can bring forth the emotions which were brewing inside but unable to be expressed. 

Watching Good Doctor now has again made me marvel at Joo Won's acting. A thought came to mind. Was Joo Won the first choice for Good Doctor? Was it offered to others and who could have done this role justice? 

It makes me wonder too... I am currently rewatching good doctor and it still feels like I'm watching it for the first again. Marveled at the great acting and chemistry alongside MCW and Kim Do Han character. I can't wait for more JW's dramas! 

While looking through relevant videos, came across his appearance on Win Win show with Sugeun and Seung Woo and Park Kiwoong. This talk show revealed so much about his debut, thoughts and views on love. He even teared and talked about the love he couldn't protect...

If anyone is keen this is the link to watch that episode:

koreanshowsonline.blogzem.com/2012/12/eng-win-win-ep-137-fu.html

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, ChoieunmiK said:

i hope that JW have K drama in 2016 before military service . i want him has great drama prove that he is great actor 

Yeah, me too.  Am desperately hoping JW will do a kdrama for 2016 as they are more compact and fast paced to watch.  On the other hand, am I too selfish if JW doesn't get enough rest?  I am watching all his movies and dramas again to appease my longing for JW.  He has this special appeal on screen and I feel like he interacts with his audience directly in his every character.  

Ottoke.....I miss JW!

• Like 8

12 hours ago, mrdimples said:

I don't remember enough of Baker King to comment on how Joo Won grew from that role to the one he took up in OB; I'm only at the very early stages of OB and again, I might not have the patience to see the drama through. (Neither do I have plans to rewatch BK - when I re-read the synopsis, I don't think it gels with my general taste in dramas now and I don't remember enjoying it that much either. I remember being quite irritated with the character of TakGu. Hahaha...) So based on what I've seen so far, my impression is that he's certainly grown from OB to Gaksital, but then, he's grown through all his shows thus far. Some actors, you feel, they're good, and they remain good (like Lee Jong Suk), but I don't feel that they have taken up many roles that have pushed their personal boundaries much. Joo Won and Kim Soo Hyun are 2 (and only 2) whom I've found that have really grown from project to project.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

I don't remember enough of Baker King to comment on how Joo Won grew from that role to the one he took up in OB; I'm only at the very early stages of OB and again, I might not have the patience to see the drama through. (Neither do I have plans to rewatch BK - when I re-read the synopsis, I don't think it gels with my general taste in dramas now and I don't remember enjoying it that much either. I remember being quite irritated with the character of TakGu. Hahaha...) So based on what I've seen so far, my impression is that he's certainly grown from OB to Gaksital, but then, he's grown through all his shows thus far. Some actors, you feel, they're good, and they remain good (like Lee Jong Suk), but I don't feel that they have taken up many roles that have pushed their personal boundaries much. Joo Won and Kim Soo Hyun are 2 (and only 2) whom I've found that have really grown from project to project.

Yeah, Baker King type is so not my taste. The makjangness of that drama rocketed through the roof. However as much as I hate to admit, I was strangely addicted to the drama. Now that I think back, it must be Joo Won. These days if I encounter such a storyline, I would have junked it. I belong to the minority, I hate mostly the good characters in the drama. First, grandma. She's the classic evil mother-in-law. I kind of blame her for bringing up that stuffy, chauvinistic son of his - Gu Il Jong. Like the typical asian matriarch who treats men in her life especially her son like kings while she treats womenfolk as 2nd class citizen, I wasn't sad she was gone. Chairman Go was a stiff prick. How dare he shun the birth of his daughters just because they are female? I saw him as disgustingly self-righteous. He committing adultery and trying to make his real son the heir made him a villain. Other than trying to protect her son, I see no merit in Kim Misun either. This is an unpopular opinion but I was annoyed by Kim Tak gu as a child and continued to get annoyed by him as an adult. I don't think YSY should be blamed, he was a rookie after all and that's how the character was written. However, I wondered if another actor were to downplay Tak Gu's annoying characteristics, will he be able to stay true to the character and yet bring on a more nuanced performance. It grated to see Tak Gu alternate between big wide toothy smiles and woeful face. Joo Won wasn't perfect either. Ma Jun had too many sidelong angry glares. However, aside from that, Joo Won was very good in portraying the underlying hurt and low self-esteem that Ma Jun had. Ma Jun had everything except love, he grew up knowing that he wasn't the real son and that Dad treated him as a non-being because of it. 

Talk about actors taking up roles that pushed their boundaries, I was wondering that for Good Doctor. Park Si On is the type of role which either you make or break. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bjvipb2uty said:

My mind keeps playing around with the idea of a PKW×JW reunion for 2016. Ya know since one is coming back from military service and the other is leaving. Is a bromance reunion too much to hope for?

I know right! The grand Reunion! I want them to be in drama together!Or a movie.I read in baidu that the Chinese drama will finish filming in January. I think Joo Won will be in drama/movie in Korea after that.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, mrdimples said:

Yeah, Baker King type is so not my taste. The makjangness of that drama rocketed through the roof. However as much as I hate to admit, I was strangely addicted to the drama. Now that I think back, it must be Joo Won. These days if I encounter such a storyline, I would have junked it. I belong to the minority, I hate mostly the good characters in the drama. First, grandma. She's the classic evil mother-in-law. I kind of blame her for bringing up that stuffy, chauvinistic son of his - Gu Il Jong. Like the typical asian matriarch who treats men in her life especially her son like kings while she treats womenfolk as 2nd class citizen, I wasn't sad she was gone. Chairman Go was a stiff prick. How dare he shun the birth of his daughters just because they are female? I saw him as disgustingly self-righteous. He committing adultery and trying to make his real son the heir made him a villain. Other than trying to protect her son, I see no merit in Kim Misun either. This is an unpopular opinion but I was annoyed by Kim Tak gu as a child and continued to get annoyed by him as an adult. I don't think YSY should be blamed, he was a rookie after all and that's how the character was written. However, I wondered if another actor were to downplay Tak Gu's annoying characteristics, will he be able to stay true to the character and yet bring on a more nuanced performance. It grated to see Tak Gu alternate between big wide toothy smiles and woeful face. Joo Won wasn't perfect either. Ma Jun had too many sidelong angry glares.

I still prefer to think that the glares were part of an overall...strategy, I guess (for lack of a better word).  It wasn't just Ma Jun with the over the top stuff.  It never bothered me.  True, I laughed every time (and in fact, totally looked forward to those glares), but it didn't keep me from getting invested in certain aspects of that drama (...which aspects exactly, I'm sure everyone can guess).

Maybe I'm just an apologist, but I don't necessarily think those things were a sign of bad acting.  More like that was what the director wanted, and what the ham-handed writing called for.  Ha.  Room for improvement, for sure, but it's difficult to judge acting using such a wacky drama. :) 

3 hours ago, mrdimples said:

Joo Won was very good in portraying the underlying hurt and low self-esteem that Ma Jun had

(Oohh, fancy new quote function.  One good thing, at least.)  This, I totally agree with.  I might not be here now if it wasn't for Ma Jun being able to tear my heart out, despite the ridiculousness of the drama he was in.  If that makes any sense at all.

2 hours ago, bjvipb2uty said:

My mind keeps playing around with the idea of a PKW×JW reunion for 2016. Ya know since one is coming back from military service and the other is leaving. Is a bromance reunion too much to hope for?

Ack, don't play with my heart like that.  :D  If we could vote such a thing into existence, I would for sure add mine.  PKW's back in just over 2 months, so there's time!  Let's do this, drama gods.

• Like 6