how to improve soompi

Guest geneyoonit

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Haneul1430264763

I've noticed this too, and to be honest, I am one of those who have left Soompi. Well, I somewhat did for a couple months. For me, I stopped coming on as much due to school work but I think the main reason is due to the new changes.

My Internet connection is pretty fast but it takes a while for Soompi to load (or sometimes it doesn't even load at all! >_<), and I don't tend to like waiting for my web pages to load, so yeah. =\

Guest tsukemene123

Just adding my two cents:

I used to browse soompi every day. I followed my favorite threads to the post and always checked up on how they were doing. Then soompi got its new layout and I found it so counter-productive, clunky, and horribly ugly that I just completely stopped coming here. I've visited soompi probably less than 10 times since the new layout was implemented.

soompi is not dying. where did that come from?

i've been coming to soompi since 1998, i've been a forum member since 2002.

currently, there's sooo many topics and posters compared to when i first joined.

each time the forum updated, we lost some old posters, but a whole bunch of new people came in.

i haven't felt that the forum is any slower than it usually gets.

there are times when lots of new topics pop up, and times when there's not much going on.

the forums can't be popping 24/7...

I can't talk for other people, but since the updates I haven't been as active on the forums. Granted, that was mainly because I couldn't get back into my old account, but I think the core reason was because the change was too drastic. People need time to adjust to the changes and some will come back (like me) and others will go on their way, while new members come along.

Guest Malice_Kaiser

oh is it really "dying"? hahah! i didn't even realize that because i didn't log in as much as possible right now and even if i do, i didn't post as often as i used to do.

one of the reasons is.. not the main reason but one of the reasons.. i find some ppl in here like to "argue" a lot. perhaps i should call it as debate. well, i guess it's a good thing to have such strong debatable attitude or skills... but if it's overly done, i find it irrational. so, that's one of the reasons that i have stopped posting that much especially at "current" section.

well, i do believe a forum will have its glorious and dull time. i guess comparing soompi to some of the forums that i used to go, soompi considers "active" in a way. haha!

i do agree that when a forum is applying excessive rules and regulations, that will drive ppl away as well. there is this forum that i was once active in, i am no longer go in as much as possible due to all their so-call rules and regulations. sigh.. whatever.. i wanna boycott that forum now anyhow.

good luck to soompi

Haha, actually there is a LOT MORE arguing on Soompi some years ago back when Soompi was still "alive" as some people put it. In the general discussion there was ALWAYS some thread about religion or social norms or homosexuality or abortion or race, and there was always a heated debate that followed. People were completely amazed when a thread stayed open long enough to last like 5 pages (I recall some actually got to like 12 pages before it was closed). But now those types of threads are not allowed so much, and the user that created almost all those threads got banned years ago anyway, so what goes on in current events NOW isn't actually all that much comparatively. ;)

In any case, I still don't feel like the forums are dying.

Guest Jaejoongx3

I personally stopped posting much on Soompi.

There's nothing much to say though. Hmmms. But Soompi is working fine for me.

Hahahas. :D. But yea, the changes are kinda bad. I prefer the old ones.

Off Topic : Am I the only one that can't go to the last post I saw previously when you click on the box beside the thread title?

It keep sending me to the last page. :/

I haven't used Soompi for almost 5 or 6 months. Didn't see anything interesting I guess. The beauty/fashion section is what I tend to visit most and the activity used to be really high there, but now it's slowing gradually.

Guest dramaprincessxox

Kpop culture in general appears to be dying, so it's only natural that a forum for serious kpop discussion will die slowly.

Especially one like Soompi where moderation is much more strict--if people are being too honest or passionate in a thread, you might as well start counting down the days to its closure, and it will be closed, as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow. Added to that, non-Asian fans make/made up a large number of users but a lot have been...deserting? because of the feeling that they aren't really welcome to like the culture (on Soompi anyway). I'm guessing that most continue to like it either elsewhere or just by themselves, and forget the whole "community" thing or whatever.

Maybe "dying" is the wrong term to use for kpop. I'll say that there used to be marked differences between Kpop and Hollywood music. Now? Hollywood music actually looks better for the first time in several years. There really isn't as much autotune, even now, and there are still great songs. The whole concept of "training" a lot of people who didn't have talent to begin with, and then debuting them as a boyband/girl group is also quite damaging to Kpop. There are still talented artists in Kpop, don't get me wrong...but almost all of them are groups that were established at least a couple of years ago.(DBSK, Big Bang, SHINee, SS501 etc) New groups? Forget it, most of them are the same thing over and over, no creativity and just a lot of "dark and sexy" concepts.

Controversy over idol groups being badly treated also affects everything.

DBSK and SS501 have been messed up, that's MAJOR. SHINee changed concept, that's also major. BoA, Se7en, Rain, Lee Hyori were away for a while, maybe too long for a lot of fans.

Honestly the layout is not that bad for me, it works quite well. It really isn't the main problem.

Guest colloquy

^ Kpop really has been on the decline since 2004. It finally hit rock bottom this year.

The new and old groups are barely able to bring more than one or two words from me, "forgettable" or "mediocre," but usually both and that includes Shinee's image change and BoA's return, overhyped as usual, boring as it can come. Maybe there will be a revival once the predictable shift to solo artists will happen, but guess what, even that's predictable now. I don't think there's any reason for people who have followed Kpop for more than one year to be interested anymore, unless they're hardcore stans. And, frankly, hardcore stans and foreign markets is where all the money in Kpop is at the moment, so I'm not holding my breath. RIP Kpop, it's nice knowing you.

Guest epicpwnage

Well honestly, if Soompi gets shut down, I won't really be "sad". It's nice to be here and all but Soompi is kind of a rude community.

There are a lot of mean, critical people here along with nice people.

So if Soompi really goes from "dying" to "dead" I'll just be like "Oh."

But I still hope that Soompi still has a few more years of life left in it.

^

^ i dont think soompi will ever get shut down

people will ALWAYS be coming here looking for entertainment whether the entertainment is good or bad, it'll just be a different audience ._. does that make sense ... i think = older kpop fans can relate to this but like, there are always going to be fans that likes whats going on and fans that don't like the change

so...i'm just back about the korean celeb photo section, like what i realized..these days all the 'news' is just copy and paste from other sites like allkpop and omona ..etc. i remember when photo threads use to be actual fan observations and fan discussions...everything has turned SO systematic that it makes it not even worth talking about...

does anyone else o.o feel the same way...

when allkpop first started EVERYONE use to criticize how inaccurate their articles were and to some extent that STILL happens but more people are just buying into it and going to them as a source of information/entertainment...bleh. i should really find examples that shows this...ah! i guess the whole kpop culture EXPANDING ...contributes to this problem too..there are so many groups these days and everyone simply has their biases and don't care about so many groups..i remember a few years back when there were so many idols that...everyone commented on how suju this..dbsk that..big bang this...and that, now its like..um..who's girl's day? who's dalmation? all of this = less meaningful activity in kpop photo celeb section?

now i'm just rambling..and i dont think theres anyway to change back time, depending on when you first discovered kpop everyone has a different year that they think is the best, there's no one RIGHT answer because it's just change/progression and not a right or wrong thing..

i think what we need to focus on is reforming so that soompi is more welcoming and so it can adapt to how the culture is expanding as well

I just joined recently but my friend is a soompi member for years now and she stopped going here because she got annoyed at always being signed out and the new features are not so user friendly anymore. Im here for the news and pictures hehe

I thought it was because people were starting to get lives. blush.gif haha jk. But after awhile on Soompi, it doesn't get exciting anymore. I remember the first time I visited the forums and it was a brand new whole to me. Now... it's not. Plus, K-pop is not the same. The people who used to post frequently, don't really anymore.

pretty much. the new groups are just ruining it for me. [will not name any because apparently thats rude]

all the comebacks from the big artists like you said just isn't doing it for me either. the songs..i probably listen to for maybe 2 times? then off my playlist it goes.

IMO i don't think kpop will ever get revived again at the rate its going. RIP. :tears:

EDIT: that new anna girl from SM looks promising though.

Why is everyone saying that kpop is dying? So far, I'm just seeing people's personal perception of kpop. It's all relative to the individual. I felt the same when groups like DBSK, Suju, Shinee, and 2PM came out. Over time I've managed to like a couple of their songs but today I still feel they are inferior to groups before them. My point to this is that a lot of this has to do with opinions and perception. I'm pretty sure the industry is making more money than ever before as a whole. End of the day, it's all about the money. Does anyone have any factual monetary figures showing that the industry is dying? I'd be curious to know.

Archived