how to improve soompi

Guest geneyoonit

Guest geneyoonit

i really didnt expect this thread to pick up like this. people said really interesting things, mostly about rules and updates and how that's turning them off from soompi...

it's also interesting to note that most of the posters on this thread are veterans and/or frequent posters. the ones that truly care. lol...

anyway, hwaiting and hopefully things will settle and get better, like the mods/admins are mentioning :)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wakii

I used to spend so much time here (mostly lurking lol) because it was engaging. Soompi had a wide variety of topics to discuss, and people, in general, were more mature. Now, it seems as if many of the people here are on a short fuse or I don't know. I used to love reading fanfictions here because there were so many good ones, but I can't seem to find any anymore. The illiteracy of the fanfic section really puts me off. And it's not only Soompi, it's also fanfiction . net that has this problem...Also, I haven't been here in forever because, like many others, I joined specific fanforums for groups and found the community there to be more like a family than just a bulletin board. The constant updates also confuse me sometimes, but that doesn't make much of a difference to me. Replies nowadays are also slower than they used to be and the kpop sections aren't amusing to read anymore.

I think Soompi dying is also a direct effect of the changing kpop culture...Fans of kpop in general are becoming less mature and more spread out over the continuous flood of new idol groups. It's all about image and popularity now.

Also, I find many of the new additions to soompi useless and distracting from the actual forum itself.

it's also interesting to note that most of the posters on this thread are veterans and/or frequent posters. the ones that truly care. lol...

anyway, hwaiting and hopefully things will settle and get better, like the mods/admins are mentioning :)

Yeah I feel kind of lame posting this because I'm a newer member, as if I don't have the right to say this because I haven't been here long...Oh yeah! Another thing that I don't like about Soompi is that I feel there's this huge chasm between the older (honestly more respectful and coherent) crowd and the newer crowd. Unfortunately, I am caught in between and just resort to lurking and posting as I do now :P.

Guest geneyoonit

Yeah I feel kind of lame posting this because I'm a newer member, as if I don't have the right to say this because I haven't been here long...Oh yeah! Another thing that I don't like about Soompi is that I feel there's this huge chasm between the older (honestly more respectful and coherent) crowd and the newer crowd. Unfortunately, I am caught in between and just resort to lurking and posting as I do now :P.

hahaha u shouldn't. i was just noticing the trend. members are all equal lol. we all started somewhere :P

Guest wakii

hahaha u shouldn't. i was just noticing the trend. members are all equal lol. we all started somewhere :P

Hehe yeah I know. It's just something I can't help but feel. Anywaaay, I totally agree with melkimx up there. It's amazing how there are members who are currently talking it out in this thread right now, trying to see what they can do to make Soompi better and keep it alive. I'm sure it'll get back up sometime. You can't have rainy days without sunny ones.

I don't have any problems with the new interface O_o....I wasn't use it at first, like any changes, but...I like it now? I noticed the same thing just today.. When I saw that the posts I made EARLY this morning was still the last response made and still on the first page in the evening. Honestly though, I don't like it as much when there's just TOOOO much people....doesn't feel as personal and connected. However, I do feel it is a bit too slow nowadays. And I don't really see the cattiness and trolling as that big of a problem - especially compared to many other forums...plus, it keeps things interesting :P

All I know is.....I don't think I'll ever stop using Soompi..Been on here since middle school; now graduating college with a bachelors. Crazy. Now I go onto the 20+ section more frequently - that's the one place where I wish there were more activity. Otherwise, it's the other celeb section and Korean movies/dramas. I hardly go on the sections where the really young crowds are (Korean Celebs, etc).

Whoever said that there are more forums is probably right. I remember Soompi used to be THE place for Kpop and all that Korean junk, etc. but now there are so many other forums, especially all those artist-specific forums like...huh I don't actually know any :P anyway yeah Soompi isn't the only option anymore, maybe putting back file sharing would draw people here ;)

Guest geneyoonit

btw: guys, i'm not banned LOL i just changed my "member title" to zBanned XD sorry for the confusion

I've been feeling like soompi's dying too. the forum upgrade definitely killed it for me. I hate the whole look and feel of the forum now so the thought of coming to soompi nowadays is just off-putting to me. I still come here sometimes and lurk around to kill time but rarely post anymore. I guess the layout isn't the only thing to blame though. I lost touch with all the people I used to talk to on here, and the fanfiction forum that I used to frequent has gone totally downhill.

it's still the only forum I've actually stuck around for though. I guess I don't really feel at home on any other site, lol.

Guest ohmylamb.

I personally feel that it's because of the new layout BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I like the previous ones better.

Not trying to say bad things about you guys BTS but, there are always glitches etc.

I like backtracking threads and guess what, now when I press the 'Go to last read page', they lead me to the first page.

SO IDK WHERE I'M AT.

Also, yeah there are other similar forums that focus on our favourite idol groups.

They probably just go there because it's more organised.

Soompi is organised but in the respective celebrity threads, it's just everything together.

I like everything together though because that will mean I won't really miss out on anything.

I still go to Soompi though, just not as hardcore as the previous time.

I love Soompi!

I agree with you. All my friends from fanfic are gone. All my close friends from artwork are gone. The performers thread is kind of dead now. Everyone seems less friendly... more critical of your posts. I don't know if it's just me.

i agree... the fanfix section was my first home here at soompi, and i made a lot of friends there. but lately, more and more people i know began to leave soompi so i started to feel like a stranger. that goes for the performer's section too. then, people responded to most people's posts. it didnt matter if you're good or you're terrible in singing, people listen and give advices. but lately, a lot of people posting are ignored and pushed back by few popular threads.

:)

Wow, mel, didn't know Soompi was around for that long. Then again, that was when the whole k-pop boom started here in America. Ahh... the good ol' days of Music Video Heaven/MVH on The International Channel. Please tell me I'm not the only one that knows about that?

And to go off what you said about the boom period, the majority posting in this thread, to us, 2005-2007 was our boom period. That's when we were highly active. 2008 members pretty much witnessed the end of it but still held on as they were starting to get into the culture themselves. I feel bad for the newer members because they don't get to experience what we did during our time. But hopefully it all does come back some day.

And yeah...where did the HTML codes suddenly come from? Forum BB codes look so much more cleaner. Hah.

I also must mention that during the beginning of the forum change, I could not for the life of me navigate through the new member profiles. I also do not want to see Soompi on facebook and elsewhere. I preferred seeing Soompi ON Soompi and no where else.

Wow. It's funny cause a while back I used to see the active users around 1000+ ish on average and then it grew to 3000/4000+ on average and I was like dang, Soompi's really growing. Yet, at the same time, some sections felt like.. it was just the same (I mostly browse art & fanfix sections). But yeah, I thought this site was growing actually haha. Anyways, I don't really go on the k-pop news threads too much, but I do know there's a lot of stupid arguments and like everyone said, that is probably why people aren't going on Soompi anymore. I guess I don't check it because of that. If I wasn't into the graphics and fanfix on here, I guess I'd pretty much be ditching this site too.. Well I do look at the humor section but that's not really a strong hold or well.. reason for me to stay, you know?

Just thought I'd mention that I do feel pretty neutral about the upgrades. Well, leaning towards to positive side cause I kind of do like it.. Just that posting fix up is a drag.. the codes are clumped / messy when I try to edit my new, not old, newly made thread.. D:

Guest xiongstar

hmm; i didn't come to soompi that much back in the days ~ but if i ever did; it was for updates~

in a way, the upgrade of the forum made me NOT want to come back anymore~~

maybe because now that there are forums that are SOO BIG now and they get all their updates from there already, that leaves no point of them to come to soompi anymore especially if they're big on updates on their idol groups~~

sad to say but soompi is dying T__T and there's not much to do about it unless someone comes up with a genius plan to revamp the forum and the members' spirits as well!

Guest NEYUGN93

- I don't know if this is a problem anymore but it's hasn't been an issue for me for a bit now was the constant logging out and logging back in to become invisible.

- The constant upgrading is happening so fast, I just can't be bothered to go experiment around the forum

- Soompi is almost equivalent to Facebook ! T.T The "like" buttons and chatrooms etc... I don't see the point of it

- The reputation thing, people are abusing it. Some replies I read don't even deserve negative ratings

- KPOP photo sections are flooded with threads of the same individual and/or group. KPOP have official threads, can't they post that there ? It just makes things all messy and cluttered. Actually, this applies to the other celeb sections too.

just to lend some perspective:

i was part of a wave of soompiers who once left because we were convinced that soompi was going downhill. we railed against the absence of some of our older fellow soompiers and the presence some of the younger members whom we felt were totally ruining the original soompi vibe. we hated certain moderators and certain new rules, we hated the change in layout, and we were absolutely convinced soompi was failing big-time and wouldn't recover. did we judge correctly? well, when we got fed up and left, the year was 2000 or 2001. to my way of thinking, those "good old days" ended years before most of you were even around. my point is not that soompi really does suck now and it was awesome ten years ago; all i'm saying is that it's just extremely subjective. this topic has been coming up in one form or another throughout the years, and it will continue to do so.

That's true,I wasn't here since those times but I do know that things aren't always stable and that if we were to graph the activity of this website it would look like a bunch of big waves. Hopefully this is all just a phase and soompi will go back to the good olden days I experienced these last two years. lol. ^_^

Guest yoko102308

Well it it is summer and many people are on vacation, have summer jobs, summer school, and other such things.

I haven't been very active in the last few months though for many reasons.

First of all, I lost interested in kpop. Then many of the members I talked to went on 'hiatus' aka, "I'm bored here. Bye.". I also haven't found any threads very interesting. Before I could logon and be entertained by reading cool stuff.

The upgrades don't really bother me (But I think it's ugly xD) so I don't really care about that.

Wait..one thing with the upgrades I didn't like it how facebook/ect is integrated so much. Or how some features are social network-y. I come here to read cool things, not in hopes of finding the new myspace.

There is also the problem that my fav areas are pretty dead. The Tech sections has been the same stuff for a while. Then all my fav fanfics went on 'break' and all the new ones are either not good, or stop getting updated after chapter 5.

Then there is so much racism it's ridiculous. I've never been a victim of anything myself, but there's always crap about all different ethnicities.

Then there is so much racism it's ridiculous. I've never been a victim of anything myself, but there's always crap about all different ethnicities.

This is how I feel about that.

I feel like there's a bunch of people that really need attention and/or supporters to what they're saying.

Ignorance is part of life but the fact that people can use this tool aka the internet to say anything and hide is crazy lol

Guest squeaky

kpop is getting so boring now. grew out of it this year.

the forum itself is not aesthetically pleasing. too many icons..

i only come here mainly for my favorite story. :/

Guest HerroVinnie

^ it IS getting boring !

So many new groups are coming out, and they sound basically the same... >.<

Archived