how to improve soompi

Guest geneyoonit

all in favor of subforum for official threads! *raises hand*

just kidding, i know making a subforum is harder than it sounds.

but i think, because of how the kpop industry is growing with new groups every week, a subforum is really needed.

the reason why official threads are more popular now is because fans simply don't care about EVERY single kpop group out there right now. there are so many groups that, its too hard to keep up with ALL the news and happenings; so the more active threads are the more 'popular' idols.

i really like the news section on soompi's main page but the discussion is simply not the same. -_-

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this thread is interesting.

i don't think soompi is dying (stat's wise i dunno) but i think how people get their info about kpop is different, plus the nature of the kpop industry has changed along with the people who recognize/talk about kpop, internationally.

that and i notice, after being in kpop/kdrama stuff for awhile, posters end up posting less. i guess it's the natural effect of time.

I started going on Soompi less because of the soompi blog + forum merge, the "upgrade" from IPB2 to IPB3, and because of individual group fan forums. :T

I loved the old school soompi (IPB2). Everything loaded quickly and it was simple to navigate. Now it takes a long time to load and it's a bit harder to get around. I don't think I would mind the navigating so much if Soompi just got faster. ):

The "Official _________ Thread" 's got to me too. I was so used to kpop celeb photos being news here and there or something interesting about a celeb. Now it's all these official threads that drive me crazy x_x

I noticed a decline in the quality of some parts of the forum too ): But that's not soompi's fault.

Fighting! ^^

P.S. Honestly... I don't think we'll ever die. I mean, this is Soompi. How can Soompi die? INTANGIBLE IN MY BOOK. ;D <3 you soompi

The "Official _________ Thread" 's got to me too. I was so used to kpop celeb photos being news here and there or something interesting about a celeb. Now it's all these official threads that drive me crazy x_x

^ haha... i remember that... i kinda liked that - that's what made me come back especially in the earlier years as a member (i.e. before the great crash). but now that kpop/kdrama has gotten bigger/more recognized information has gotten more streamlined and organized (here or elsewhere i guess)

Guest graceyoon

i don't think soompi is dying (as in the number of ppl signing up is still high), but yes i loved the old soompi too. was much more convenient to be able to update your profile pic and sig straight on the forum in one click.

and why does fast reply have the same options as regular reply, doesn't that defeat the purpose if i wanted to format my sentences :/

edit // i agree soompi was more fun back in the day, but i think it's just because i've gotten older so the topics no longer interest me that much

Guest Naked-Fanatic

^ya, that's true. Compared to AF, these forums are pretty lively. Always a troll passing by everyday.

AF used to be lively like over here. Now it's dominated by troll threads. I mean, AF trolls target everyone, not just one ethnicity or race. And they often started arguments between different ethnicites and race. 99% of their posts are made up false information on a certain ethinicity or race to start an argument. The mods started to ban the trolls recently, but this was after a great majority of the AF members left that forum.

I hope Soompi doesn't get as many offensive trolls as AF does. One thing I noticed is that there are a few AF trolls who have the same account name as here. The difference is that these few trolls act very differently over here because the Soompi mods do their job well. The mods banned the other trolls very quickly. This was mentioned in the AF forum a long time ago. Don't get me wrong. Not all AF members in Soompi are trolls. In fact, a lot of the AF members came here because of the rampant trolling going on at AF.

For me I really miss how Soompi used to be.....it really saddens me :(

Everything was so simple. I really dislike the new layout.

Even when you go and look at your own profile now everything takes so long to load and theres too many unnecessary features.

I miss how when you use to goto your profile you could see instantly your list of friends (when they were last active), the comments on your profile (were in a long box conveniently in the right hand side of the screen)...I've noticed that not many users write on each others profiles anymore, your latest posts were easy to find etc.

I really miss the old feature in your profile when you can see the last 5 people that visited....it always made for good conversation and stuff ahahaha

BUT MOST OF ALL, I really miss the people. People on here use to be so "friendly" and "happy"....like one big soompi family. Now (could also be due to me getting older), I feel like the users on here are just so immature with mostly just negative things to say.

Guest Naked-Fanatic

BUT MOST OF ALL, I really miss the people. People on here use to be so "friendly" and "happy"....like one big soompi family. Now (could also be due to me getting older), I feel like the users on here are just so immature with mostly just negative things to say.

I agree.

On the bright side, this forum is still a lot friendlier when compared to the other forums I've seen.

Now (could also be due to me getting older), I feel like the users on here are just so immature with mostly just negative things to say.

Times are changing.

Back then, forums@gaiaonline used to be a pretty happy place. Now it's just a flame-fest with 12-year olds flaming everyone over anything they can find. Check out the first thread you see when you log on forums@gaiaonline

It's a good indicator of the overall attitude the current generation has adopted. Just check out those 7-year-olds demanding adults to give them whatever and talking back with disrespect.

Guest chocolatecoke

Agreed. I used to have a different account, but I can't remember the e-mail i used for it (grr) But I think it's probably been at least a year or two since i've been on this website. The layout is kinda weird and i've noticed a lot of the topics that are on the top of the list right now, were from when i first signed up back in 2005. I guess people are running out of stuff to talk about??

I miss the old people on soompi.

I wasn't a member yet before the crash, but I do remember that in 06-07, soompi was at it's peak; threads were still interesting, people were interesting, KPOP was still interesting...ahh, DBSK and SUJU, those were the days.

Soompi was really alive back then, now it's just full of repetitive and uninteresting threads and KIDS.

And the Fanfic forum...eck...

I don't think there's anything we can really do to bring back the old soompi. A lot of the old members have probably out grown this forum, and a lot of Kpop artists who were popular back then are breaking up so there really isn't much excitement anymore. And I remember before, when a new artist will come out, people will really hype it up, but now so many new ones sprout up every month that it's not worth the thrill of waiting.

Let's just all hope for a soompi second wind.

Nothing wrong with having lots of kids.

After all, old folks aren't going to be the ones that will be able to spread k-pop around.

Kids will ultimately be the ones that will define what is and is not trendy and hip.

As long as it doesn't turn out like forums@gaiaonline.com

Guest SilkInfused

We could stand to close some of the generic question threads since they're fodder for personal spam.

generic_cap.png

Aren't they pretty much asking for the same thing? I could think of one reply that'll answer all three. Plus, they have a beach-ball effect of being revived and tossed around which cheapens the user experience.

Eh TBH..i dont really come here for kpop cause those subforums are all a mess..I'm just interested in other people opinons and read about helpful things i can use irl. I loved soompi back in the day and would post more if people weren't so butthurt.

Yes, the upgrade.

Also, I think Soompi was most popular years ago (5++) and everyone who was on at that time probably grew up and out of the forums... like myself.

I remember spending sooo much time on soompi, but with the upgrades and influx of new immature youngins....yeah....

Guest geneyoonit

soompi is not dying. where did that come from?...

...In any case, I still don't feel like the forums are dying.

I don't think it's dying...

this thread is interesting.

i don't think soompi is dying...

Just out of curiousity, what subforums do you guys generally visit? I think it might be more of a subforum topic, seeing that I frequent the "performer's" forum, which has hit rock bottom. no comments @ least very rarely. I've also heard from various sources (and this thread) that the art forum and fan fics forum has been dying as well, but I don't really visit those much...

so i guess in all and all it DOES depend on 1) which forum you visit. 2) what your own definition of "death/decay" is...

i hear a lot of people complaining about the layout, and i for one is annoyed BUT layout is a pretty subjective thing, i mean, that really shouldn't stop me from posting or commenting as much as i use to (unless there is a very deep and psychological reason why this layout doesnt work lol)

i also hear a lot of people complaining about k-pop, but we all know that isn't the only topic here on soompi. i guess that's what the majority of people came here for...

i honestly liked this forum because i met a lot of cool people and discussed/talked about topics that were interesting to me. i was literally ADDICTED to this forum for a while lol, but this isn't happening as much as it use to... it could just be an individual thing though,

anyway, thank you guys for your inputs, i'm sure mods are reading and trying to figure something out for all of us complainers :P, and if there IS in fact a problem, then im sure they'll try to make things right.

the new layout is what bugs me the most... i was in love with the OLD OLD OLD soompi layout... from before the 2005 crash... and i almost stopped coming then because i lost all of my post counts and what not and had to start from scratch... it seems like each time soompi goes through a new layout something bugs me.

Guest dorkafied!

So I haven't been on Soompi for about two weeks, although I often went to this thread specifically whenever I had the chance too. I honestly missed Soompi a bit those two weeks haha -- I already posted in this thread, but I want to post again. I've been a member since 2006 and man was I ever glad I joined since this was when Soompi had its great times. I was really active in Soompi in general, but mostly in the fanfic/art forums; I met great people there too. Now that it's 2010, I haven't been as active as I would like to be -- posts aren't that interesting to read (except for this thread oddly enough) and active members aren't as active anymore.

Soompi was really enjoyable back then, even though I'm not one of the members who has known Soompi since it started -- it was just the place to go to. Fanfics aren't enjoyable as they use to be, making friends is a lot harder now, keeping in touch is even worse, and there isn't anything interesting to read anymore. The threads have been quite slow, I thought by not going on Soompi for two weeks there would be a whole bunch of different threads -- but to my dismay all the threads I saw two weeks ago were still there in the front page. The Korean celeb forum that use to have photo shoots, music videos and news are now spammed with "Official whatever" threads. The layout didn't really affect me in any way, even though I LOVED LOVED LOVED the really old layout -- the new layout didn't lag and I guess I just got use to it.

K-pop groups are also becoming repetitive, some of the newerish groups are promising though (BEAST, okay I'm bias lol and that Anna chick) but other than that there's nothing new/great. while the older groups are either going to Japan, in the army, broke up already, or something else. Big Bang going to Japan really had an effect on me with k-pop though, since they were the ones that kept me into k-pop for this long.. luckily BEAST came along (but that's a different story) Dramas and movies aren't that great either, then again I was never a drama/movie person. Variety shows come and go.. (how I miss family outing one and x-men..)

Most of the people on Soompi are around my age, and most of us are probably focused on school -- so getting older might play some kind of part to Soompi "dying" or perhaps Soompiers found something else to do, or are busy with their lives now. I'm sure for most of the "older" members Soompi will always be a part of them, I don't know whether or not I'm considered as a "older" member when I'm only sixteen haha. Soompi is honestly the only forum I'm active in, so i'm sure I won't leave Soompi anytime soon --I think this applies to most users too. If I recall from a really old thread I read that Soompi was the only forum the majority went to. Besides I need to experience the 20+ forums haha.

Sorry for the long post :)

Archived