how to improve soompi

Guest geneyoonit

..fans are becoming more irrational, immature and narrow-minded, even on soompi. it pretty much drives away those who were really into the older kpop..

^ This, basically. Also the fact that K-ent itself is getting more irrelevant each passing day especially with unnecessary drama(s) in the fandom.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MR. LEE'S

agreed agreed. and well, it bores me. like, i've nothing to do anymore whenever i lurk around soompi. it used to be so much fun though

Guest 魚燕往返

Well, for me, it's because of soompi's new change. It became harder for me to navigate because I didn't know what did what. Also, I dislike how the lo-fi version is harder to use. I use lofi because everything is simplified and I view topics and replies on the same page. However, after the new change, it just complicates everything. I got tired of the new soompi and just stopped frequently vistiting due to difficulty in navigating.

Guest Malice_Kaiser

I honestly didn't notice the forums dying? Maybe it's me? I hang out mostly in Beauty & Fashion, L&R, and some other sections not related to K-pop, though.

Perhaps the reason I don't spend time in the K-pop sections anymore is the reason the forums are "dying" -- I've grown out of K-pop (and maybe others have as well). I'm simply sick of seeing mass-produced groups and like others said, it has gotten boring. Nothing new to offer. So I just have no reason to go to those sections.

And I also noticed the disappearance of a lot of senior soompi members, but I suppose that's a natural progression.

But the B&F and L&R threads along with other celebr photos and other TV, movies, and books sections seem to be doing okay to me.

I think one of the biggest reasons why Soompi isn't as active as it use to be is because of all the individual fanforums for other artists. It's a quick, one stop need if you're just looking on something on THAT artist and don't want to go through all the pages in the k-music thread.

Plus, lol I don't know about everyone but I find it a little hard to juggle a bunch of forums at once =/ most int'l forums have the subs and people go there for that and you usually need a heft post requirement to download them so you spend a huge chunk of your time there.

And then there are new sites like Kbites and other blogs that just give you the news and pictures bam. I think it's all about getting what you want fast and now. Not a lot of people take the time to post, start conversations or forge meaningful friendships like how we use to on Soompi =/

And one of the reasons for that is because of all the fandom wars =/ I think that's one of the biggest reasons that soompi is "dying"... we're not able to make really good friends like we use to.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow a lot of people have issues with the new soompi. I thought it was just me. Call me old school, but I'm use to the layout that I've grown accustomed to 8 years ago. This new layout is annoying.

Guest popsicles

oh, so thats the reason why othe celeb photo area thread were not moving like they are dead. I thought what the heck is happening. This site is my inspiration for creating similar site but not for KPOP. For another country's entertainment. Hope this will be resolve. I want to help just PM me if what will I do.

I've been a fan of Soompi since 2001. I loved this place and it'll always have a special place in my heart but I also realized that I stopped posting here like I used to. Soompi has a good reputation and I see that its trying to connect with its members. The majority of my posts were in the celeb photos, artwork and fanfix sections. I've grown out of the artwork and fanfix sections. This is mainly a rant post.

Some of my friends on soompi came out of the artwork section. I was a noob and their critiques helped me improve. I felt like I knew all the graphic designers there. Eventually the graphics started to look like one another. New people started flocking in with the same style that another graphic designer has worked hard to create. It got to a point where I got fed up with it and gave up designing graphics for a long period. I try to go back there but when I see that same style, it brings out bad memories. It seems as though my friends have disappeared as well. :(

I wrote fanfix because I enjoyed it. Now it's a competition of which first post is the best, who has the most readers on their PM List, who has the best soundtrack, best trailers, posters, and other bs embellishments. What about the story itself? A lot has changed and though I try to write there it's not the same.

I rarely go and check the korean celeb photos now because there's a thread dedicated to each celeb... which kinda pisses me off. I just want to see a new picture on the first post and not have to go through pages and pages to try to find it. I don't know when there's a new picture of a celeb because it's lost in the "official" thread. I mean I'm sure it's good for those who avidly follow the thread but for people like me who just want to see new pics it's annoying to navigate. As a result, I find myself trying to find new pictures elsewhere.

I feel as though threads on soompi have become a popularity contest and I may be harsh when I say this, but it's like the comments have also become pointless as well. With those kind of comments, I really don't have much to say or add.

Though I think the layout is colorful and eye-catching there are some issues with it. Some other issues that I'm sure people have already pointed out with the layout is the login issues and quote issues.

I do admit that my association with omgkpop does play a role with how much time I spend on soompi, but in my heart soompi and omgkpop/s radio club will always have some sort of correlation. soompi is still one of the best places for information on concerts and k-dramas.

Guest _YooMi

For me Soompi was a place to feed my Kpop addiction, I was constantly in the Kpop/photos section. However with so many new groups coming out and even some old ones producing well...the same crappy music it totally turned me off.

and like others said, some users just can't seem to mind their own business. Obviously if there was another thread like this, mods will close it there is no need for them to get all sharp and start ordering people to not quote images in every thread they go to.

• 1 month later...
Guest funkyliv

i love soompi but i cbf now that i can't read replies properly and also the new reply format is like o_O

it's so frustrating! but if soompi fixed up the replies i would come back religiously, hahaha

or maybe i'm a noob? no matter what i can't see the standard replies, only the linear replies. and it's just annoying, full stop.

Omg I understand how you feel. I used to go on soompi like everyday and post everyday too. Now I just so cbb. I was planning to write a fanfic and all except with the current HTML post problem, I'm too scared to start one, just to have to redo all the formatting again >.<

xx.jenn

Guest mentalfiction

I've been a fan of Soompi since 2001. I loved this place and it'll always have a special place in my heart but I also realized that I stopped posting here like I used to. Soompi has a good reputation and I see that its trying to connect with its members. The majority of my posts were in the celeb photos, artwork and fanfix sections. I've grown out of the artwork and fanfix sections. This is mainly a rant post.

Some of my friends on soompi came out of the artwork section. I was a noob and their critiques helped me improve. I felt like I knew all the graphic designers there. Eventually the graphics started to look like one another. New people started flocking in with the same style that another graphic designer has worked hard to create. It got to a point where I got fed up with it and gave up designing graphics for a long period. I try to go back there but when I see that same style, it brings out bad memories. It seems as though my friends have disappeared as well. :(

I wrote fanfix because I enjoyed it. Now it's a competition of which first post is the best, who has the most readers on their PM List, who has the best soundtrack, best trailers, posters, and other bs embellishments. What about the story itself? A lot has changed and though I try to write there it's not the same.

I rarely go and check the korean celeb photos now because there's a thread dedicated to each celeb... which kinda pisses me off. I just want to see a new picture on the first post and not have to go through pages and pages to try to find it. I don't know when there's a new picture of a celeb because it's lost in the "official" thread. I mean I'm sure it's good for those who avidly follow the thread but for people like me who just want to see new pics it's annoying to navigate. As a result, I find myself trying to find new pictures elsewhere.

I feel as though threads on soompi have become a popularity contest and I may be harsh when I say this, but it's like the comments have also become pointless as well. With those kind of comments, I really don't have much to say or add.

Though I think the layout is colorful and eye-catching there are some issues with it. Some other issues that I'm sure people have already pointed out with the layout is the login issues and quote issues.

I do admit that my association with omgkpop does play a role with how much time I spend on soompi, but in my heart soompi and omgkpop/s radio club will always have some sort of correlation. soompi is still one of the best places for information on concerts and k-dramas.

^ This. I used to love the fanfix section when I was new to soompi. When a story had a poster or two, it looked pretty good and I loved having made posters for my fanfics too, but eventually, I noticed people started working harder on the decorations than on the story itself. Soon after I stopped going on the thread altogther.

And just like kiki said, trying to navigate the korean celeb photos forum is really annoying. The "official thread" topics are impossible to go around if you haven't been following that topic from page 1.

Overall, I think soompi has gotten kinda monotonous, it has way too many rules for one thing, and the new layout has made everything way slower and complicated.

It maybe the new idol groups...I mean it probably has some good points but it's not as good as the older ones, in my opinion at least. And yeah, I kind of preferred the old soompi look compare to this new one. Everything was so much easier and faster before. The tech stuff now kind of makes me angry (like that avatar thing)...

But neverr~I don't want soompi to die. I love this place <3

Like another poster, I didn't notice that Soompi was "dying" either.

I used to post here everyday following Kpop - but now I feel there's not much special about it anymore. It just lost its appeal, I guess... not sure how it transitioned out that way (still a strong Jpop fan though).

Now I lurk on Beauty, L&R, Current Events, etc... Just things not related to Kpop. I still feel that Soompi is a good place to connect to people with (I guess, I haven't been keeping up with conversations at the rate I'm not posting), but I still love this forum dearly. It's still one of my favourite places to visit when I've got nothing to do.

I don't have a problem with the new layout either :sweatingbullets: I'm surprised that there are so many people with problems with it, actually :o

Guest ovovoovo

The threads in General Discussion and other sections are getting extremely repetitive and the new look of the layout is incredibly laggy - even though I have a fast internet, I still use lofi version because it's so much faster. I remember Soompi at its peak, I think it was around 2008? And it went downhill from there.

Guest sweetfantasy09

oh is it really "dying"? hahah! i didn't even realize that because i didn't log in as much as possible right now and even if i do, i didn't post as often as i used to do.

one of the reasons is.. not the main reason but one of the reasons.. i find some ppl in here like to "argue" a lot. perhaps i should call it as debate. well, i guess it's a good thing to have such strong debatable attitude or skills... but if it's overly done, i find it irrational. so, that's one of the reasons that i have stopped posting that much especially at "current" section.

well, i do believe a forum will have its glorious and dull time. i guess comparing soompi to some of the forums that i used to go, soompi considers "active" in a way. haha!

i do agree that when a forum is applying excessive rules and regulations, that will drive ppl away as well. there is this forum that i was once active in, i am no longer go in as much as possible due to all their so-call rules and regulations. sigh.. whatever.. i wanna boycott that forum now anyhow.

good luck to soompi

Guest c3cilia

i'd say changes -- lots of changes and restriction .. it's the reason why i pull back and stop coming here for a good two years. There are times I swing by as a guest but other than this, i haven't been active --this is actually the first official day i'm back lol

Anyhow, I remember Soompi used to be so friendly and nice -- all the warm welcome and friends were so great and everyone doesn't seem to be SO bias like now

i really do miss the old time when everyone share their stuff/news in here and debate each other with logic information

i suppose the reason why soompi got quiet is probably due to many ENGLISH update sites too.

Entrainment industry is running out of raw talent ppl and that there are one too many group who sounds too alike ..

even AUTOTUNE is back and bore me !!!!

Old friends disappear to their own individual forum -- lurking in here become useless with all these overcrowd thread pages.

OR perhaps, many had grown and realize there's no reason why one should sit in front of the computer all day, lurking around nothing.

Archived