[Drama 2010] Flames of Desire 욕망의 불꽃

Guest yeohweping

it was scary watching the scene where

she heard her sister being taken against her will , inside the room .yet she turned and walked out as nothing happen and happily accompany her father back home ..

.. the father died of heart attack the same day knowing what that man did to his elderest daughter

D7FOAE02101003HDTVXviD-Barosavi_001922149.jpg

D7FOAE02101003HDTVXviD-Barosavi_001920815.jpg

D7FOAE02101003HDTVXviD-Barosavi_001939400.jpg

D7FOAE02101003HDTVXviD-Barosavi_002010170.jpg

D7FOAE02101003HDTVXviD-Barosavi_002011272.jpg

D7FOAE02101003HDTVXviD-Barosavi_002327954.jpg

preview for esp 3

Q: but one question so MJ is YM son and NY is his step mother? if so SB/IK & MJ are NOT blood related for something to prevent them being together, I know its too early to talk about that but wanna clear it to understand the story better.

yes she is the stepmother. there is no blood relationship .but in legal terms they are step brother and sister .

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lucky_moon

yes she is the stepmother. there is no blood relationship .but in legal terms they are step brother and sister .

so their marriage is illegal, forbidden love from the society view excl.gif

so their marriage is illegal, forbidden love from the society view excl.gif

there used to be a law that forbid marriage of related person degree or distance of blood relationship ,i am not sure if it is still valid but if the daughter is not in the family registery maybe it wont be illegal .but is only socially unacceptable .? that part i am not sure but in 2000 drama Piano , it was illegal because i think the second generation was legally under the same family registry .this one is abit different

.as like in Dear Heaven ,the step son also end up marryng the daughter which the woman had before marriage . it was only scndalous but.no legal implication ?>

For information only

by degree they mean chon .as in the chon in san chon (uncle) , parents and child is one chon , siblngs are two chon, you and your parents sibling are three chon (so marrying one's uncle is defintely illegal ) sa chon (forth degree) is first cousin .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_809_of_the_Korean_Civil_Code

Marriage may not be allowed between parties whose relationship of blood relative exists within the eighth degree (including the blood relatives for the real-adopted child kept before real-adoption).

Marriage may not be allowed between parties if either of them is or was the spouse of blood relative within the sixth degree of relationship, or if either of them is or was the blood relatives within sixth degree of relationship of the spouse, or if either of them is or was the spouse of blood relatives by affinity within fourth degree of relationship of the spouse.

Marriage may not be allowed between parties whose relationship of blood relative existed within the sixth degree of adoptive parents lineage and within the fourth degree of adoptive parents affinity.

Guest sasgrace

I guess this show is too makjang with a wicked lead female character :sweatingbullets::wacko: . It reminds the beginnig of Baker King Kim Tak Goo. I mean makjang.

Guest marinai

About the 10 mn promo try maybe Tudou.

Gosh I hope SW character won't die. The girl has raw talent ! Her scene is the most memorable in my opinion. I can't wait for episode 2

Agree with you! the first scene was the most convincing so far! talented Seo Woo and SEK made me feel the utterly drama of their life and this girl pain over her mother behaviour towards her, since I don't understand well, I think at that point both knew about their family link!

Hope she won't die too but since the theme of this drama is destruction, l can see a dark path coming ! And OMG the son's reaction if his love one really died ! JUST CAN'T WAIT !

@Sasgrace Thank you I try todou, wish I would be able to understand korean or chinese lol

Just tried out the 1st Ep...and Makjang dramas really aren't my style. But, I was lured in by Seung Ho and Seo Woo. So far, I'm rather turned off by SEK. I don't recall her being so...frustrating...unreal(?)...with the dramatic acting before - is it just me?

However, I have to give YSH and SW kudos. Though the setting was over-dramatic, their portrayals were instantly captivating. I could feel SW's condescending pain and YSH's regretful defiance - some very subtle deep emotions - they both were very convincing. Darn, now I have to decide whether I should stick around for a 50 ep drama filled with over-the-top dramatics and crazy plot/character twists just to see 2 actors that I really like. :lol: Oh, the dilemma. :sweatingbullets:

Guest chloe.c

I duno why this drama really captivates me, but I THINK this may be a drama I'll actually follow as it is airing? I've already download the first ep! (But then again, I always say this and in the end I just wait till the end of everything...LMFAO)

Guest yeohweping

The many faces of Na Young

201010032203271001_1.jpg

201010040635491001_1.jpg

20101004_1286140396_29665100_0.jpg

201010040701301001_1.jpg

st_1286115601_529856574_0.jpg

91523.jpg

Na Young was't r**e at all, she was beaten badly by the gangsters who were sent by the boyfriend's father who wants to break them up. So, In Ki is the boyfriend's child. That's why she has the sly, cunning genes from her real dad and destructive pride to succeed no matter who she has to step on genes from her mom. But because she was raised by Jung Suk "the good sister", she must have installed some "goodness" in her while growing up, that's why she is unable to really hurt Min Jae.

But with Jung Suk's hatred for Na Young which she kept bottled inside for years, being Na Young always being a "step of her" in everything, she could have 'fed' In Ki lies that Na Young abandoned her to have a better life, causing In Ki's deep hate for Jung Suk.

Guest revengeoftheflowers

Hey guys, I'll clarify the FACT why she was raped. She clearly said in episode 1 to her sister that she had no idea who the father was. And, that she didn't want to bring in a child who she had no clue who the father would be. THAT alone heavily implies that she was raped during the gang beating incident. Also, before the gang members took her in, the main leader told her that she had an amazing body.

In my eyes, the very beginning of the gang beating scene, it looked like for a second that she was getting raped. Nothing terribly explicit, but enough to show the audience something grizzly was going on.

Haha, I'm not making stuff up! It's what happened in the episode, and was disturbingly dark and gruesome.

Not a huge deal though, episode 2 of this show was just absolutely crazy. It started out quite lovely and then just spiraled into a jaw dropping trainwreck!

Guest starlight5

In my eyes, the very beginning of the gang beating scene, it looked like for a second that she was getting raped.

I saw that too. She was pressed against the wall, and we only just cut to the part where she bit the guy's hand and pushes him off her.

Is the present story going to start in the aftermath of the first scene of Episode 1, or will it just be working up to the climatic ending? Because if they wanted to imply Inki died after taking those pills, they could've made it more explicit rather than her just passing out. I think Minjae and Inki's story would go on after this, they'd live together as "siblings" instead of getting married, since they aren't yet, and that's where the fakecest comes in.

I just get that feel from the promo poster, since they were all posing like an upper-class family and Minjae and Inki looked like the children rather than a couple.

Guest lucky_moon

NY become a greedy scary woman, she wasnt happy to see her older sister getting on an arranged marriage with YM, she worked to set the fire and awake the jealousy in JG heart for him to end up raping her sister, she knew it but she went out ignoring what she heard but then the father couldn't take it his sister who has an arranged marriage and his promise to YM father broke with her being raped so he died. then NY still not satisfy till at the end she went to meet YM father and told him that she's sorry that her died father has to broke his promise since her sister has someone she love and was happy so happy when he asked her if she has someone she love and he will drop by sometimes to have a meal with her.

Ep3 preview; she's getting what she wants; she's together with YM while her sister life become a hell.

Guest marinai

Na Young is such a bi*ch !!! she hurt her own sister !! and later she will hurt InKi and MJ ! If there was someone to die, it should be her !

Since she thinks life has been too hard on her and WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS PEOPLE she hurt?

Her actions are unforgivable and about JS educating Inki , I have the feeling she will make her dislike her mom or worst and I hope i am wrong ( take all her frustration on the kid!)

This woman (Na Young) is awful !

@kgrl happy to see yo unnie, please keep watching I think we will get some good chemistry with these two! Did not know you liked Seo Woo ( I love her , she's a great actress !)

Shin Eun Kyung gave me goosebumps! No wonder why she's a veteran!

Ever since I saw Wife's Temptation, I've been falling in love with these type of dramas. So far, I'm really liking the story plot, and honestly, I think SEK is going to be the highlight of this drama. So far, it's intense and good!

Guest revengeoftheflowers

I think Kim Hee Jung, Jeong Sook, the older sister, is HANDS DOWN the best actress in this show (and possibly in KOREA). She is simply on another level than any of the veterans, newbies, or even previous generation of actors. I was astounded to see such a talented actress. She's approaching Meryl Streep kinds of levels.

Her acting is all in her eyes, and it is wonderful to see. She is the reason I'm watching this drama, and I just cannot wait to view her difficult role in SBS' anniversary show of "First Marriage." She was supposedly hand picked for this upcoming SBS role, because they need an actress who was transcendent and excellent. They got one!

Shim Eun Kyung is usually a fantastic actress, but I feel like she's overacting in this drama. I dunno if it's a stylistic choice she's making, or that she just looks bad compared to Kim Hee Jung (the older sister). She was bordering on ridiculous during the first scene with the stepson. But she was MUCH, MUCH better during her scene with Seo Woo and in the gang beating. I'm sure she's still adapting into her role, and it will evolve to be something awesome, because she is so gifted.

And, Jang Seo Hee was INCREDIBLE in Temptation of Wife, so I feel like Shim Eun Kyung needs to bring the same quality! :)

Guest donnapie

Sharing what i've written about this drama on my blog...

MAKJANG  (mahk-jang)

1. Shows that contain complex, twisted relationships, unreasonable and extreme situations and provocative scenes

2. Dramas that frequently feature incidents that rarely happen to a person in a lifetime.

Makjang newbie (mahk-jang noo-bee)

1. a person who has had minimal experience watching makjangs.

2.  A person who is inexperienced, a newcomer or a novice when it comes to dramas of the makjang genre

3.  AND YES, THAT WOULD BE ME!

Now that the vocabulary lessons are over, let me begin with my review of Episode 1 of Flames of Desire or as ockoala calls it, Flames of Jailbait which is obviously a jab at the age discrepancy between Seo Woo and Yoo Seung Ho who plays the main OTP in this recently premiered weekend drama... 

(yes, they will be playing a couple married for convenience even if YSH is all of 17 in real life and Seo Woo is 25... How's that for corruption of minors?)

20100924221041388l22305.jpg

I was a little hesitant about starting on FOD prior to trying out episode 1 of this series mainly because, my interaction with makjang dramas had been quite minimal...  

Along with saeguks, dramas of this genre was simply not my cup of tea because of its overly dramatic plot lines compounded by the fact that i also don't have the patience to muddle through 50+ episodes of screaming, crying and scheming while waiting for plot twists and highlights to be revealed... (what can i say? I have the attention span of a goat...)

However, seeing the posters of this drama plus reading through the veritable who's who of top caliber actors and actresses (Jo Min-Ki! Shin Eun Gyung! Seo Woo! and nosiree...  i'm not reading through a list of Baeksang awardees but the shows  cast of characters!) playing the main role in this series has compelled me to give it a chance while checking in my (good) expectations and brains at the door...

flamesj.jpg

As i prepped myself to sit in front of my laptop, I was already priming myself for cringe worthy, meandering plot lines and the exaggerated angst that i was about to subject myself to... watching the opening sequence i  was laughing to myself how right i was to think that way,  because the opening scene alone already had Shin Eun Gyung and Yoo Seung Ho engaged in a scream fest while melancholic violins play in the background as if they were in an intense battle to see who can shout the loudest or who among them first would pop a vein...

33077767.jpg

21352939.jpg

It was TRULY over the top... exaggerated... intense and as the seconds ticked past... I was not laughing anymore but i found myself riveted... drawn to the edge of my seat as each scene unfold and by the middle half of it, i was literally craving to see more about what other agenda or secret the characters of the show would reveal as the story progressed...  

TO SAY I LAPPED UP EACH MINDLESS, BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION, HEIGHTENED MINUTE OF IT WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

It was as if i was watching a train wreck about to happen and i couldn't look away...  I was mesmerized, awed and stupefied not because of how fresh or how good the story was but because it is so darned intriguing!

(Kudos however to the BRILLIANT and i mean BRILLIANT actors making up this show! They make it Oscar Worthy even if the plot could rival Days of Our Lives for all it's worth... 

Although i'm still waiting to be surprised since most star bloggers talk about Jung Ha Yeon (the shows writer and La Dolce Vita's too among others) as if he had the intellect of Nietzche when it comes to writing Kdramas and like he's some sort of drama GOD!)

This early, i am already imagining myself biting my nails in anticipation for the next subbed episodes to come out like this drama is crack... 

If it could talk, it would probably tell me "So, who has the last laugh now?" because the first episode alone had already made me its BISH  to the point that even without me knowing anything about the characters yet, it already made me cry...

51857151.jpg

75034292.jpg

Being a newbie, i don't know if all makjangs go this way but seriously, what other genre of drama unfolds complicated story highlights

like babies abandoned at birth? Overdosing on sleeping pills just to make a statement? Kneeling and begging as a bargaining tool for your son?

Plus the never ending crying (and don't forget the shouting) all happen in the span of it's first 10 minutes?

Now, if that does not get you hooked to know more about the juicy details, either you are not a big gossip like me or you simply have better things to do with your life, which unfortunately, i don't... :rotflmao:

As requisite of dramas such as these, the childhood flashback episodes would never be far behind and they mostly make up the most part of the first few episodes...

I normally find these very boring and draggy, as i am very BIG on romance and can't wait to get to those parts but FOD was different as i was glued to the screen during these parts...

Na Young is different in a way that she is a heroine that is no pushover... She's always been feisty even when she was young and in moments when she is ruing the fact that she was born poor with all bitterness, you already get that sense that she will be formidable when she is all grown up and how perhaps that would lead to her becoming selfish and overly driven by ambition... 

I have always wondered why a lot of kdrama viewers always have a leaning or an addiction towards makjangs...

Why is it that dramas of this genre are always the ones that make it through ratings of 40 and above (Take, Baker Kim Tak Gu for example) and trendy romantic dramas, compared to them, normally have very modest numbers... 

Now, 60 minutes after and two puffy eyes later, i had my lightbulb moment... 

Makjangs are a hit simply because they are habit forming... 

It is dark, twisty and surreal and it provides an escape to the mundaneness of everyday life... It ensnares you with the complexity of problems sorrounding the characters in its story and even if chances are you'd get struck by lightning more than all of the things happening in the story to happen to you, there is still a part of ourselves that can relate to the underdog that wants to cheer them on as they make it big while seeking revenge on everyone else that had wronged them in the past... 

Falling in love with your brother (or step) in this case aside,  and having very awkward family reunions notwithstanding,

i am now a convert and truly understanding of this guilty pleasure and suffice it to say that i am rubbing my hands together in anticipation of the time when we reach the shows climax and when we can all watch in amazement as these superb actors once again one ups one another in the angsting department...

Guest Lily_Rose

At first it seems that In ki is dead after having committed what appears to be suicide but I don't think she s'gonna die(at least not now or ever as far as we know)in that scene; that's because we are aware that she and MinJae end up married and since they're not a married couple yet she can't die...now...XD. In fact NY tells MJ that if he does what she says then she'll not care whom he'll marry..so that makes me think MJ wanna marry IK but NY doesn't want him to (something you already know if read several drama info)...and so MJ and IK are not married.

A suicide and IK's effective and doubtless death would be so unclimatic and a cold shower for my interest.

I want an happy ending for this couple.

I love angst but at the end all has to go well.

Chinese Subbed Ep 01-02

01 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G3OEQZO0

02 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QUY1M7QL

-------

I normally watch Makjang dramas occasionally when the TV airs them but i was attracted by Yoo Seung Ho and i regretted watching episode 1 because i want more scenes of YSH and SW but now the upcoming episodes focus on SEK's character, i can't wait till it goes to the younger generation.

Honestly i thought Seo Woo and YSH aren't compatible AT FIRST because of the real age difference and YSH is UNDERAGE my god, i feel like a pedophile watching him in this drama but god, he's so yummy...

Seo Woo is great in portraying her role, i mean i even like her acting better than SEK for that scene because SEK seems like she's overacting but maybe that's how a makjang drama should go, histerical and tons of screaming and crying. From the preview of the drama, it seems like YSH and SW characters connect with each other because of their tiring life, i'm quite a sucker for this kind of storyline where the two leads are all "bruised".

It was really heartbreaking when SW asked SEK, "ahjumma, have you ever miss me?", she can't even call her mom, she portrayed that vulnerability in contrast to her over ambitious character. I think she would be a good girl if her mom didn't leave her.

SEK's character is super evil but at the same time, i don't hate her like how i usually hate villains to the core, it was maybe i could understand the reason for her ambitions but it became really unforgivable when she even hurt her own sister.

Thanks for posting the links to the C-sub. I have watched a few makjang dramas before and I am not sure if I can stand all the screaming, scheming and backstabbing going on here.

I thought near the end of Episode 2, her sister facial expression seemed to imply she finally knew what type of person Na Young is. I was not sure if she can put together the fact that her sister put her in that trap yet. But obviously at the funeral and later scenes, I have a feeling she knew what her sister's schemes were.

Chinese Subbed Ep 01-02

01 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G3OEQZO0

02 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QUY1M7QL

Archived