Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

I really hate SYJ,

The first time, I saw her, was in Summer Scent.

The second, in The Classic.

And the last in A Moment to Remember.

I dunno why but I hate her and at the same time I love her... She's really a good actress, her movies are really great. OMG, why she must be so perfect...

Hi Rasmy

Welcome !!

/comfort

You may hate her more after seeing April Snow...

aww..congratulation!!! heheh happy that she got the award. she deserve it.

Hi winternight,

She is nominated but the result will only be known on 29 Nov.

:unsure: I just dl'd this video and tried to play it using real player... but nothing is showing up..

Its just black space. Can anyone help?

It's a codec issue. Try to install the version 10 basic version of Realplayer. I managed to watch it after downloading it under Realplayer.

do you still have that classic mv, the one with behind the scenes..

"nuh eh ge nan na eh ge nun" by Scenery of Riding Bicycle

my download before was not complete it just stop after 3mins.. i don't know what went wrong...

2 new images from Arts of Seduction

20051117095021.073.0.jpg

20051117095021.073.1.jpg

The second picture very cute.

A mischievous Ye jin. /kiss.

Actually I think that Ye jin is very good at comedy from some of the scenes in her previous movies. But because she is so good at melodrama that people naturally assume she may not be good at comedy. I hope everyone wil be surprised by Ye jin in the new movie.

do you still have that classic mv, the one with behind the scenes..

"nuh eh ge nan na eh ge nun" by Scenery of Riding Bicycle

my download before was not complete it just stop after 3mins.. i don't know what went wrong...

http://www.sonyejin.org/video/fd/tm/org_100.asf

Is this the one?

Korean films strengthening influence in Asia

Source: http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/htm...00511160038.asp

Growing number of flicks, actors making inroads into overseas markets, amplifying Korean Wave effect

By Yang Sung-jin

Few areas are more colorful and visible than the film industry when it comes to the Korean Wave. A growing number of Korean flicks and actors are making inroads into overseas markets, particularly Japan, China and Southeast Asia, and the trend seems highly positive - at least for now.

The frontrunner is Bae Yong-joon, who is fondly called "Yonsama" in Japan, and "April Snow," a film featuring Bae's trademark affectionate smile in a melodrama theme that evokes the first Korean Wave television drama "Winter Sonata."

As "Winter Sonata" catapulted Bae into an almost mythical fame in Japan and other Asian countries, it was widely expected that "April Snow," directed by Hur Jin-ho and peppered with similar tear-jerking elements, would become a hit when it began screening in Japan.

The film's box-office performance is far better than expected. Since its Sept. 17 release in Japan, the ticket sales of "April Snow" hit 2.4 billion yen (roughly 24 billion won), chiefly helped by enthusiastic Yonsama fans, mostly middle-aged women who are more than willing to watch the film again and again.

200511160017.jpg

From Nov. 22, some 300 theaters across Japan will extend the screening of the film. UIP, which is in charge of the film's distribution in Japan, said "April Snow" broke the 1 million ticket sales market in the shortest period as a Korean film and became the most successful Korean film, outpacing "Shiri" and "Windstruck."

The success of "April Snow" is especially sweet for director Hur, whose "Christmas in August" was the first Korean film to be imported to Japan in 1999. While "April Snow" did not fare well at the Korean box office because of its hackneyed theme and not-so-spectacular acting, it continued to appeal to Japanese moviegoers, showcasing the enormous influence of actor Bae.

In fact, the influence is not limited to Bae. His partner in "April Snow" is Son Ye-jin who plays a married woman in the forbidden love story. "A Moment to Remember," a 2004 film about a woman who suffers Alzheimer's disease starring Son is equsally melodramatic as "April Snow" and its tear-jerking storyline is also obvious. For all the weaknesses, "A Moment to Remember" was exported to Japan, garnering a record $2.7 million.

"A Moment to Remember" was widely released in Japan on Oct. 22, and on the first week it jumped to the No. 1 slot at the Japanese box office, turning Son into a top actress who has two hits in Japan under her belt.

The Japanese distributor Gaga said the movie's popularity continues to soar among female viewers who are charmed by the pure-love theme of the film.

While actors Bae and Son represent the Korean Wave in the Japanese film market, director Park Chan-wook is appealing to a wider range of audiences, going beyond Asia.

Park's "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance," which is the last installment of Park's "Vengeance Trilogy," attracted huge international media spotlight.

Award-winning director Park has replaced his trademark outsize pouring of violence with smiles and kindness of Geum-ja, played by Lee Young-ae, one of Korea's top actresses, who is now enjoying huge popularity throughout Asia with the release of the hit television drama "Jewel in the Palace."

Park showcased his cinematic talent through the gruesome yet bizarrely mesmerizing "Oldboy" and has won many fans throughout the world. "Oldboy" was the runner-up Grand Prize of the Jury at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2004.

The growing influence of the Korean Wave in the film industry was also found at the Pusan International Film Festival which marked the 10-year anniversary last month.

Emerging as Asia's representative film festival, PIFF solidified its position in the fast-growing Asian movie industry, offering a record 307 films from 73 countries. The expanded lineup includes 62 world premiers, 28 international premieres (shown for the first time outside the country of origin) and 87 Asian premieres.

It kicked off with the final version of Chinese director Hou Hsiao Hsien's "Three Times" on Oct. 6 and closed with Korean director Hwang Byung-kuk's "Wedding Campaign" on Oct. 14, attracting more media coverage and top-rated actors and directors from Asia and elsewhere.

Meanwhile, Korean filmmakers and actors are scrambling to embrace joint production projects with partners in Japan and China, signaling a fresh development in the Korean Wave.

A prime example is "The Promise," a big-budget U.S.-Chinese-Korean co-production film which stars Korean heartthrob Jang Dong-gun and Hong Kong star Cecilia Cheung. Weekly Time magazine also featured the photo of Jang as its cover, reflecting his new role in the Korean Wave. Jang built up his fame with last year's Korean War blockbuster film "Taegukgi."

In fact, "The Promise" is not the first co-production film for Jang. He starred in "The Warriors," the first ever Korean-Chinese co-production movie which was shot entirely in China.

Kim Sung-soo, who directed "The Warriors," is now working on another Korean-Chinese movie. Back in 1999 when Kim ventured out to shoot a film in China, the sentiment was largely skeptical. His colleagues and friends argued that such large-scale project was risky.

But Kim went on to work with China Film, a local production house, with the help of the Beijing office of CJ Entertainment, a major Korean film distributor. Although "The Warriors" did not produce impressive box-office score in Korea, director Kim said he was convinced that co-production format would work.

Kim set up his own film production house in Beijing and is now working on "Jungcheon" (Midheaven in English), an epic fantasy action movie starring Jung Woo-sung, Kim Tae-hee and Huh Joon-ho.

Another major co-production is "Mozi's War Strategy," connecting top talent from Korea, China and Japan. In this film based on a Japanese manga, Ahn Sung-ki, Korea's top actor, appears as a general who confronts the character played by Andy Lau. The film is set to be released Asia-wide in September 2006.

The increase in Asia-wide co-production films comes as Korean analysts point to the necessity of coming up with a new Korean Wave formula to extend and strengthen the influence of Korean films.

(insight@heraldm.com)

(syjfan: AMTR is still screening at the time of this posting. The movie has acheved close to 2 billion yen in total box office and was no.2 on the Japan Box Office last weekend (which was its 4th week of screening.)

Guest youngnottheold1

It's a codec issue. Try to install the version 10 basic version of Realplayer. I managed to watch it after downloading it under Realplayer.

yeah. I tried that already. In fact to play it safe, i downloaded it before i even tried to play it with my older version... :(

Guest sandrydc

"A Moment to Remember" was widely released in Japan on Oct. 22, and on the first week it jumped to the No. 1 slot at the Japanese box office, turning Son into a top actress who has two hits in Japan under her belt.

SYJ is obviously a top actress.

Hi fwnc-b!

Welcome to SYJ thread. It's ok and I think no need to pity her.

I just noticed something interesting.

All of the nominated Best Actresses came from movies that were also nominated for multiple categories. Ye jin is the only nomination from a movie that didn't get any other nomination.

I have to go to temple and thank the gods that the panel of judges even noticed Ye jin in a movie with zero nomination in other category.

To be honest, I can imagine myself beaming with pride when I watch the video of the ceremony and seeing Ye jin among a list of nominations including Kang Hye-Jung, Kim Jung-eun, Lee Young-ae and Jeon Do-yeon.

To be nominated alongside these actresses is in itself a great honour and a recognition of Ye jin's acting skill.

To win is a minor miracle. But there is nothing to lose for any of the other 4 nominees who don't win the Best Actress Award.

Yeah, I guess she has nothing to lose... It's just a blessing already to have been nominated among top actresses.... She's beginning to carve her name as a good actress....

AMTR Japan update:

As at 15.11.2005, AMTR has attracted 1.5 million viewers in Japan. This was revealed on the official AMTR website but the total box office was not disclosed.

Source: http://www.keshigomu.jp/index2.html , NEWS section

Earlier on 8.11.2005 when AMTR achieved 1 million viewers, the total box office was 1.3 billion yen. That means in the last 7 days, AMTR has attracted another 500,000 movie goers.

AMTR is currently still screening in Japan and was no. 2 last weekend in Japan Box Office. Let's continue to monitor as the no. of viewers and box office increase!!!

What is SSH looking for?

press_0830a_b.jpg

From the interviews given by SSH during the filming of SS, I always thought he was attracted to Ye jin. he he....

Guest sandrydc

From the interviews given by SSH during the filming of SS, I always thought he was attracted to Ye jin. he he....

Syjfan, could you please post some interviews on Summer Scent.

It is rumoured that, SSH & SYJ fell in love during the filming of Summer Scent. Is it true?

AMTR maintained strong box office before Harry invades Japan on 19 Nov

Source: BIGLOBE, http://broadband.biglobe.ne.jp/index_ranking.html

Japan Box Office 14 - 18 Nov 2005

1. The Brothers Grimm

B00631_01.jpg

2. A Moment to Remember (Eraser)

B00587_01.jpg

3. ALWAYS -Sunset on Third Street-

B00637_01.jpg

4. Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

mo3736.jpg

5. Elizebathtown (Debut)

1000392_01.jpg

6. Spring Snow

7. In her shoes (Debut)

8. Charlie and the chocolate Factory

9. Saw 2

10. Abudeka

History of Box Office Ranking of AMTR:

22-23 Oct 05 weekend, No.1

24-28 Oct 05 weekdays, No.1

29-30 Oct 05 weekend, No.1

31 Oct - 4 Nov weekdays, No.1

5-6 Nov weekend, No.2

7-11 Nov weekdays, No.1

12-13 Nov weekend, No.2

14-18 Nov weekdays, No.2

Since screening on 22 Oct 2005, AMTR has never dropped below no.2. With the screening of Harry Potters for the weekend beginning 19 Nov, AMTR may have to give up top 2 positions in the Japan Box Office which it has occupied for a long time. (The average screening period of a movie is about 1 to 1.5 month in Japan)

Guest yellow roses

Syjfan, could you please post some interviews on Summer Scent.

It is rumoured that, SSH & SYJ fell in love during the filming of Summer Scent. Is it true?

really? syjfan, i would like to read the interviews too :)