Film Photography

Guest strawberry.llamas

Guest drella;

didn't know there was such a thread <3!

I usually shoot in b&w since I can develop them at school but these are from my first color roll x:

5060798146_d2fcff5bee_m.jpg 5060797664_5755a593a2_m.jpg 5060867374_d1c0070a98_m.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wiwi_an

Aw, man. I wish my scan came up that good :( What are you using?

my school has scanners i can use for free, thank god.

i used the nikon 5000?. but its so slow

Guest 8D_heeeeeeeee

Aw, maaan (again), you guys get access to a Coolscan? :( Are you scanning with ICE? Because that usually slows down the scanning process heaps.

Picked up a test roll last week. No more light leaks in my F3 :D

F3_0005.jpg

F3_0001.jpg

F3_0005-2.jpg

F3_0002.jpg

Guest wiwi_an

Aw, maaan (again), you guys get access to a Coolscan? :( Are you scanning with ICE? Because that usually slows down the scanning process heaps.

Probably, but it could also be cause its old and i'm sure its been broken and repaired again from over-use

<3 the third pic, theres just something with that blue car....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deluge00

film photography definitely trumps digital if you're looking for an intimate look of "instant" nostalgia. digital can be very clean and sharp, but there's nothing like a touch of grain to add to a photo's character. i used to shoot with my parent's nikon n2020, but the lens quality has really deteriorated since the 80s when they bought it :\ a lot of fogginess in my photos nowadays because of it :P it can look pretty cool sometimes, though haha. this is a picture of my friend I took when i was still a sophomore (i'm a senior in high school now).

tumblr_lgf5mwfbX01qzaur7o1_r1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1299813868&Signature=ukzQanbHrzC1yViIkyfdyM67WsU%3D

i'm not sure i have much to contribute as i'm still pretty much a fumbling ape with the camera, but hopefully i'll learn new techniques from you guys :]

love these! those old cars look great. the color is really nice - what kind of film did you use?

Guest 8D_heeeeeeeee

I think for those one, it was Afga Vista. I've still so many rolls of it left, I'm getting bored on it :(

Man, wiwi_an, I want the detail you get from your negative :tears:

Tried to get some photos of a sunrise last week, but the weather didn't want to let that happen. Feels like something missing. I probably still need to work on getting my exposure right.

Vista100_Roll1_021.jpg

Vista100_Roll1_016.jpg

Guest wiwi_an

kodak 400

Canon SLR

I never thought taking photos of the rain could come out so serene and beautiful, I was afraid it would come out under exposed/blurry

5520944193_8c1f614fe4_z.jpg

5520943971_09f5127593_z.jpg

5520943841_de66b92dab_z.jpg

I went to a fashion show. my friend's digicam took very blurry pics cause of the dim lighting and they were in motion. I'm so glad my flash was strong enough and my SLR is the best!

5521536112_9645197f08_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NO NAME?

Finally got two rolls developed today.

Here's a few of my favorites:

5562741295_40d0147a3f_z.jpg

5563344298_f0865472f9_z.jpg

5562788901_1ddc15d343_z.jpg

5562788907_956b414d1d_z.jpg

Yashica TL Electro-X

Yashinon-DX 50mm f/1.7

Kodak Ultramax 800 (expired)

Guest kelvin6

I used to be a avid film photographer, but lately for color film its really hard to find a good place to get it developed. Like some drugstores that do the 1 hour processing, I find that a lot of them have horrible QA and the images tend to come out grainer than what the negative should be. I believe this is either due to excessive aggitation or a problem with the developer chemical and/or temperature. When color negatives are developed properly they look incredible. I also like to overexpose a tiny bit for my photos as for film this helps capture a bit more information on the negative. Seems like people tend to like the higher contrast thats seen in some slightly overexposed images.

I need to use start using my dad's Minolta SRT Super, still has film from the last time I used it. And works batteryless without the auto meterting. Havent been doing much so cant just take the camera everywhere,

Guest 8D_heeeeeeeee

I used to be a avid film photographer, but lately for color film its really hard to find a good place to get it developed. Like some drugstores that do the 1 hour processing, I find that a lot of them have horrible QA and the images tend to come out grainer than what the negative should be. I believe this is either due to excessive aggitation or a problem with the developer chemical and/or temperature. When color negatives are developed properly they look incredible. I also like to overexpose a tiny bit for my photos as for film this helps capture a bit more information on the negative. Seems like people tend to like the higher contrast thats seen in some slightly overexposed images.

Perhaps it's time to learn to develop your own rolls. I've been reading up on home developing C41, and it seems easy enough, provided you have somewhere to source your chemicals from and a decent scanner.

I guess I'm lucky where I am. There's still a few proper photo labs around, so if I'm ever paranoid about the result from a roll, I go to them. Only thing is, you do pay for it.

Guest kelvin6

My dad used to develop his own C41s, but stopped due to the amount of work and strict requirements that was needed to do it correctly (before there were home kits). The most i've ever done is home b/w development (TX400), but now i've resorted to using my work's x-ray film processor to do the work. I just undo the b/w film roll and slip it into the processor and out comes the processed film 60 seconds later. Comes out consistant and accurately too, because these processors are quality assurance checked everyday. Film X-rays are pretty much rare nowadays, but once our workplace goes into digital mammography (everything else is digital), no more film processor.

Sourcing the chemicals here isn't necessarily cheap, even the place where I used to buy my b/w processing chemicals already stopped carrying most of it in stock (special order only).

Guest kurowah

I'm so glad that there is a film thread here!!  Anyways, for starters i will leave this little picture. =]  Not the greatest, but I like it for some reason.

film30.jpg

::mommy making gyoza

Guest 8D_heeeeeeeee

My dad used to develop his own C41s, but stopped due to the amount of work and strict requirements that was needed to do it correctly (before there were home kits). The most i've ever done is home b/w development (TX400), but now i've resorted to using my work's x-ray film processor to do the work. I just undo the b/w film roll and slip it into the processor and out comes the processed film 60 seconds later. Comes out consistant and accurately too, because these processors are quality assurance checked everyday. Film X-rays are pretty much rare nowadays, but once our workplace goes into digital mammography (everything else is digital), no more film processor.

Sourcing the chemicals here isn't necessarily cheap, even the place where I used to buy my b/w processing chemicals already stopped carrying most of it in stock (special order only).

I have no idea how that works, or why, but that's pretty cool. I would say I wish I could do that, however, part of the appealing of developing your on rolls is by doing it the normal chemical wash way. That is certainly a nifty way of developing your own film, though B)

Guest flowerpetals

I'm just curious since I'm taking a photography class next season.

How much does a 35mm film camera usually cost?

Guest echoism

I'm just curious since I'm taking a photography class next season.

How much does a 35mm film camera usually cost?

That depends on what you're looking for. I'm assuming an SLR since it's a photography class. Newer? Older? Professional or consumer? Brand? You can usually find a decent one for around $100 or less, though.

• 1 month later...
Guest d0ts

I bought a Canon AE-1 on ebay last month,and these are from my first test roll! (:

Film: kodak ultramax 400

5726846810_21239d1cac.jpg

5726293153_24e984d7a7.jpg

5726292605_8078a739a3.jpg

5726292089_9ba6098065.jpg

Archived