Film Photography

Guest strawberry.llamas

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the informative post ^_^ I'll keep my eBay eyes open for some Olympus based Vivitars. You say Olympus/Minolta, so does that mean both systems use the same base? As I've spotted a few Minolta flashes, but wasn't 100% sure if it would be compatible.

For example, the Vivitar 550FD M/P/O is a Minolta, Pentax and Olympus compatible flash. It can be used on all three types of cameras (that support TTL), but of course you can't use a Minolta on a Olympus camera. The 550FD just has extra pins on the hotshoe connector that Olympus can't use.

Vivitar lenses for the Olympus are quite good too. I picked up a 35-105mm zoom lens for $25 many years ago (one of my favorite lens).

Guest jennnayx81

i haven't shot film in a while, but once i find my film portfolio, i'll upload some scans.

i recently discovered my grandpa's old Fujica STX-1, and have been wanting to try out film photography again.

img04321.jpg

img04421.jpg]

unfortunately, my meter doesn't work, although i just put in new batteries. i'll have to see if i can get it looked at to see how well it shoots.

does anyone know about the Fujicas?

edit:

Photos from my first black and white film class about 2 years agao

img0481sf.jpg

img0484x.jpg

img0488z.jpg

img0489e.jpg

img0490av.jpg

img0491k.jpg

img0492dz.jpg

img0493fo.jpg

img0494tr.jpg

img0495i.jpg

img0497i.jpg

Guest 8D_heeeeeeeee

Last camera I'm buying before the year. Need to put in some limits before this starts becoming a serious problem...

DSC_6573.jpg

For the past few rolls I've got developed, I've opted for scan-to-CD, rather than getting prints. Oh the digital grain horror...

5029158413_3c1c032fa7.jpg

*snip*

160nc portra

hasselblad 503cw

There's something about medium format photos, I can't quite put my finger on...

Guest strawberrie68

how much are cr2 photo batteries usually? is $32.99 a normal price for 2?

i need them for a film camera x___x

Guest breathless.

^ I just googled them, and they're definitely cheaper than that!

2v3t1.jpg

mamiya 7

portra 160nc 220 film

scanned with a flextight

I think I like the 6x7 format better than the square. I need to get better at scanning, lol.

EDIT:

vgnf3r.jpg

I'm legitimately incapable of color correcting this, so it's just going to be left alone, lol.

I got a lot of free film from my internship, so I'm slowly just shooting for fun and experimenting with different cameras and formats. The Mamiya 7 is really nice--but I don't think it's worth all the money Mamiya charges it for in the US; the body isn't built too well. I love that it's a rangefinder, it's ultra portable and silent, but several thousand, really?

So...I've always been fascinated by film MUCH more than digital pictures, but all the cameras I own are digital until TODAY! My dad gave me his old film cameras - Canon EOS Rebel G and Kodak VR35 which I LOVE LOVE LOVE.

Would someone recommend some films for me to use on these babies? ;)

Guest sushiiiii

i'm loving all the shots by everyone. i'm still way new to the film club, but i'm making that switch :] probably going to have a million questions once my camera gets arrives, but glad i found this!

Guest 8D_heeeeeeeee

More film lovers. Fantastic.

Would someone recommend some films for me to use on these babies? ;)

Use anything, really. When I first decided to try it out, I just went into a supermarket and just picked up a packet of Kodak (don't remember what kind). Since then, I've gone through many rolls of normal Fuji 400, a few expired rolls I got off Four Corner Store, a random Kodak roll found in a friend's shed, a roll of Ilford FP4 125.

I'd really like to try out some Kodak slide (positive type), but the processing and printing costs aren't worth it for a bit of fun.

At the end of the day, it what colours and tones you like from the roll. There's quite a bit of info out on the Googles on the difference between B&W films, talk about the tonnes and grain each brand will result. Personally, just use whatever you can get your hands on :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest crashedann

Hey everyone. I got a Pentax ME off ebay a few months ago. I'm still undecided whether I like film or digital more. Although I like the effect and look of film, it always makes me anxious that I'm wasting film if I take a bad shot. Here are some of my favourites (I developed the B&W ones myself).

12608956.jpg

88348698.jpg

25079660.jpg

92648439.jpg

54713206.jpg

88049737.jpg

I've also done some experimentation with double exposures but I still need to scan them...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wiwi_an

I have a question about changing bags

how lightproof are they? They're great with fixing film that is stuck in a camera without exposing it. But is it alright to work with it in a room where there is light? Would it reach inside the bag?

also has anyone encountered problems with shooting film in freezing conditions? Because I know it doesn't develop properly with fujifilm instax..I'm planning to bring my film cameras to skiing soon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kelvin6

I've used a lightproof bag for a lot of my film photography. Not for releasing stuck film, but for loading film from the little canister to a film reel and can. I've never had a light leak provided everything was zipped up properly. Also DO NOT remove your hands/arms from the bag unless everything has been secured. Like for example, do not leave the film open in the bag and remove you hands (the light can leak in from the hand/arm hole).

As for extreme temperatures, i've never had a problem with film. I made sure to warm up the batteries in my camera/flash by using my body heat to warm them up (pants pocket). Cold batteries will effect battery life and even possibly (not likely) camera operation. I've done lots of winter photography without issues in the past.

I've used a lightproof bag for a lot of my film photography. Not for releasing stuck film, but for loading film from the little canister to a film reel and can. I've never had a light leak provided everything was zipped up properly. Also DO NOT remove your hands/arms from the bag unless everything has been secured. Like for example, do not leave the film open in the bag and remove you hands (the light can leak in from the hand/arm hole).

As for extreme temperatures, i've never had a problem with film. I made sure to warm up the batteries in my camera/flash by using my body heat to warm them up (pants pocket). Cold batteries will effect battery life and even possibly (not likely) camera operation. I've done lots of winter photography without issues in the past.

May I ask why you use a lightproof bag to load your film? Is it so you can use the first 2-3 shots of the film? Or are there other reasons for doing so?

Guest Justalilodreamer

^ I think he uses the lightproof bag to unload his film into a film reel+canister so he can develop his own negatives? When i took photography we often had to load our film onto the reel+developing tank in a lightproof bag and then add developer etc. into the tank to develop the negatives. Not sure if thats the case for him.

^ I think he uses the lightproof bag to unload his film into a film reel+canister so he can develop his own negatives? When i took photography we often had to load our film onto the reel+developing tank in a lightproof bag and then add developer etc. into the tank to develop the negatives. Not sure if thats the case for him.

Ah ok, I thought he used the bag to load his film onto the camera (not sure if there's an exact term in English for this... 'action'?) :sweatingbullets:

Archived