Film Photography

Guest strawberry.llamas

Guest Annyon

I wished I remembered how to use analogue slrs... I haven't used one since high school! I only have my dslr now. x__x;

How do you guys upload them...? Do you just scan them into the computer?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 8D_heeeeeeeee

I wished I remembered how to use analogue slrs... I haven't used one since high school! I only have my dslr now. x__x;

How do you guys upload them...? Do you just scan them into the computer?

Pretty much. Just don't be expecting your scans to look as good as your prints. You could look into investing in a dedicated film scanner, or when you go to get your roll processed ask to see if they'll scan your roll onto a CD for you. If you're just wanting to upload them to the 'net, then the latter option would probably be your best bet.

I can never seem to focus on the target well enough when using film cameras...

:(

Tips anyone?

Using a SLR? Does it have the split focusing screen? If not, do some research on your camera to see it has interchangeable focusing screens.

0f579703.gif

Guest berry.kiwi

I want to get into film photography and was just wondering which camera to buy and start with. Do you guys have any recommendations? Thanks =)

Guest NO NAME?

I've noticed that the following are quite popular for beginners:

• Canon AE-1
  • Pentax K-1000
  • Nikon FM2
  • Minolta X-700

Guest berry.kiwi

I've noticed that the following are quite popular for beginners:

• Canon AE-1
  • Pentax K-1000
  • Nikon FM2
  • Minolta X-700

Thanks a lot! biggrin.gif Will check them out.

Guest echoism

Thanks a lot! *quoted image* Will check them out.

I'd also add to the list the Olympus OM-10 (with manual adapter). Zuiko glass is fairly cheap and very nice, and you can usually find the body (which is completely auto) with a manual adapter and 50mm lens for around $50 on ebay if you're patient. Also, the Nikon FE is very good since it is both manual and aperture-priority, and can use pretty much every manual focus Nikon lens ever made (and even most autofocus).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back in high school for photography class I bought a Nikon N6006 with a Quantaray 35-80mm lens and 52 mm lens filter...but the camera with the lens is just waay too big/bulky for me to carry around. Im thinking of relearning manual photography since I procrastinated and relied on my auto mode during the whole course -_- im thinking of switching for a smaller size manual camera like the ones you guys recommended for beginners. It seems kinda ridiculous to switch to an older manual camera but I need something I can carry around... How much do u guys i can let go of the whole set for?

I wonder if I just use a point and shoot camera instead if slr, can I get the desired effect from using different films too?

and any recommendation of films that gave different effects? (:

sorry im a noob at this.

Guest echoism

Back in high school for photography class I bought a Nikon N6006 with a Quantaray 35-80mm lens and 52 mm lens filter...but the camera with the lens is just waay too big/bulky for me to carry around. Im thinking of relearning manual photography since I procrastinated and relied on my auto mode during the whole course -_- im thinking of switching for a smaller size manual camera like the ones you guys recommended for beginners. It seems kinda ridiculous to switch to an older manual camera but I need something I can carry around... How much do u guys i can let go of the whole set for?

You're probably not going to get much, since that body and especially the lens are well... not the greatest. Maybe $50, $60 on ebay if you're lucky. But you can also find older manual cameras with a 50mm prime lens for that price, so you might break even. Or maybe just dump the lens you have and get a nicer Nikon lens, like the 50mm 1.8D. The body you have is not really that heavy, and that lens is super lightweight.

I wonder if I just use a point and shoot camera instead if slr, can I get the desired effect from using different films too?

and any recommendation of films that gave different effects? (:

sorry im a noob at this.

All of the films are made differently to get different grain, colors, etc. so even if you use a point & shoot, you'll get different results. For a quick idea of the properties of different films, try the Film Database on flickr (http://www.flickr.com/groups/filmdatabase/) and start looking at ones you're interested in.

Guest Daylightful

Hey, guys! I know you probably get this a lot, but I was wondering what film camera would be good for me?

I would love to take nostalgic looking pictures. I will mostly take photos of plants, bugs, animals, and scenery. Is there a good specific camera for this? I stalked this thread and read back and checked some cameras. I am also a fan of Canon (I have a Canon DSLR) but I'm not particularly stuck to Canon either. Thank you!

Guest echoism

^ I'm not really sure what you mean by nostalgic, but in any case, it's more about what kind of lenses and what film you use rather than the camera. Older, single-coat lenses will give you less contrast and sometimes sharpness. And using an expired, low-contrast film will wash out your colors more. If you want to stick with Canon, try the FD line. You can't use your current lenses with an FD body, or the FD lenses with your DSLR body, though.

Guest hazmatt_05

Hey, guys! I know you probably get this a lot, but I was wondering what film camera would be good for me?

I would love to take nostalgic looking pictures. I will mostly take photos of plants, bugs, animals, and scenery. Is there a good specific camera for this? I stalked this thread and read back and checked some cameras. I am also a fan of Canon (I have a Canon DSLR) but I'm not particularly stuck to Canon either. Thank you!

Pretty much any old film SLR or RF will provide you with some nice looking nostalgic photos!!  I could recommend you a whole line of cameras but your best option would probably be to just look around and research on Flickr different cameras and films.  I personally use a Nikon FG because it was cheap and had aperture and shutter priority modes, plus I follow Nikon, but anything else would also do.  It also depends on what settings you want and your personal preference on design, portability, etc.  The Canon AE-1 is also probably a good place to start, that one seems popular among the Canon lovers.  Oh, and what film to use?  I use good ol' Fuji Xtra because I'm cheap and I'm more than happy with the results.  But yeah, just look around on Flickr and see what you like before looking on eBay - that's what I did. :)

Archived