Solos:

1. Boa

2. Rain

3. Hyori

Groups:

1. DBSK

2. SNSD

3. Big Bang

I give a lot of credit to solo singers because it's that much harder for them to have a bigger fanbase than groups and they have to sing that much more. Boa started at such a young age and she's the one that opened the doors for the Japanese music market. If it wasn't for her, it would be close to impossible for all the korean stars in Japan right now to be as big as they are. I honestly don't like Rain very much, but I have to admit that he is the decade's biggest male solo singer. Hyori is also big in Korea and is considered a legend. I honestly think she would have been bigger than Rain if she did not have issues with plagiarism.

As far as groups go, DBSK is definitely #1. They are a legend to KPOP/JPOP. All five members are AMAZING singers/dancers and they all have the looks. They've broken the most records for ANY Korean singer. They started in Japan with barely any promotions and through very very small performances. This is after they were already claiming all the #1 spots in Korea, and they had to go to Japan and start all over. AND IT WORKED! All their hard work paid off and they conquered the Japanese music market.

SNSD is #2. Although Wondergirls debuted a few months earlier and were more popular during their first album activities, SNSD definitely took the spot as THE nation's girl group. Right now SNSD is by far the best girl group of the decade. No other girl group has as many fans, number of endorsements, and number of awards won as SNSD. A korean fan counted all the awards won by them in 3 years, which came out to be over 90 awards. They are also popular all over Asia, and are even called Asia's #1 girlgroup right now. No other explanations needed. They are the best right now and a lot of music experts and netizens predict they will be THE legendary girl group.

Big Bang is #3 IMO because they brought a different style of music to Korea and they were explosive with “Lies”. All their songs in Korea have been hit songs. And although I don’t think any boy group will ever surpass DBSK, Big Bang has proven to be the second biggest boy group.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shakemyhand

Just out of curiosity, and I apologize in advance for the semi-relevant post, was this article ever written? I want to see the authors final picks. 

Big Bang- I was a so-so follower of Kpop, only downloading OSTs...until Big Bang happened to me!

Clazziquai- what can I say! Great tunes and voices.

Epik High- their songs gets you high

Bi- of course, I like a little of his songs.

Boa- am not a follower though

Others:

SG Wannabe

LYN

Mc Mong

Fly to the Sky

Gavy NJ

House Rulez

might be a little biased but it's DBSK for the groups, they're like king Midas of the asian music industry and next is Big Bang

solos: Hyori, Boa, and Bi their comebacks are always huge

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kloiepup

hmmm letss see:

DBSK/TVXQ/Tohoshinki(why the freak do they have 3 names?) I have never heard any of their songs, but after i saw them in some macros, i thought they looked pretty damn good. I'm only putting this on here so people could see I know the same about kpop as them. I've heard that they had a Guiness World Record (OMGKPOPFIGHTING!),got nice cars,and has alot of wins. I think I'll be looking forward to listening to them.

Big Bang:I AM NOT POSTING THIS JUST BECAUSE I'M BIASED AND I LOVE THEM WITH ALL MY HEART they are just completely hard working for what they are doing. ALL their songs had been giant hits! And im so excited for theyre comeback! People might've be wondring why it's all delayed but gd said it was because they were preparing and smart things like that.YAAAAAAAAAAAYY I LOVE THEM! The members are very attractive (thats mosly what i see in most kpop groups,but this one is different),and the songs-oh,no EARGASM AGAIN! They even brought with them the expansion of kpop in Korea! Aplause aplause! Forever i am,a V.I.P...

Super Junior:The first time I saw them,they were in Sorry Sorry. I  immediatly fell in love,one of my first kpop vids ive ever seen. When i was watching the vid i was like,"oh em gee...thars like so many peeps in this group!" Over the months,I've caught on more and became an ELF. And hwo says 13 is too much for a boy band? they broke a stinkin record of this! And all of them has looks! Wwoa!

Hyori: she is the queen of kpop...SO OF CORS SHE GOTTA BE INFLUENTIAL!

i know she's 30 and old,but I think she's pretty (without all the makeup) and I think she never ages. Her voice is pretty good too.So far,I've only heard CCBB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i have a few:

1. DBSK - Not a fan of their type of songs. But have to admit, they sound AWESOME live even while dancing. They are gorgeous. They sell a lot of albums. Plus, i really love Micky in SungKyunKwan Scandal. Too bad about the things going on around them. hope they'll make it through.

2. Wonder Girls - Love Nobody. Hope they crack the US music industry. looking at their youtube videos watched count, they're well on their way. i don't really adore Two Diff tears as much as Nobody. Hope JYP make more kick-richard simmons songs for them.

3. BIG BANG - Now, this is really my type of music. They sing, dance, rap, act, produce, write lyrics... Just name it, these boys do everything. Ok, i might be slightly biased but i love my boys. hehe. too bad they don't sell as much as DBSK in Japan. Hopefully the Japanese will learn to accept them. Can't wait for their comeback.

4. SNSD - 9 pretty talented girls. What more can you say? They've conquered Korea, they've conquered Japan. They're well on their way to conquer the rest of Asia and then world domination. I'm not really feeling Hoot but I love Gee and Oh! I just hope they make their Live sounds better because sometimes they don't sound good and sometimes they sound really good live.

5. 2ne1 - Woohoo!!! This is my fave girl group ever. They're loud, they're fierce, they're dorky, they're not image-concerned, they're funny and they're explosive. The reason why i love 2ne1. YG has been really kind with them, giving them time out, flying them to the US. i think it's all worth it because 2ne1 live up to the hype. Can't wait for their international album produced by will.i.am. that'd b the bomb!!

6. SuJu - there used to be 13 of 'em then they became 12 when one decided acting was his real passion (really? we'll never know seeing how he doesn't really appear on dramas or movies. maybe there's more to that). then one got involved in a brawl and enrolled in the army so they became 11. Then one suddenly decided he was ill-treated and went back to his country. Oh, I miss these guys. they are dorky and funny together. even though they do consume a lot of space on the stage. their songs are good and they're good looking too. what more can you ask for. come back soon SuJu!! We miss you!!

7. Rain - heck he was sexy in Ninja Assassin. cute as a button in full house. funny like hell in fugitive plan b. and his new songs where he keeps showing off his abs... i love Rain!!

8. Boa - Now, Boa is a legend in Korea. Even after years of dissapearance, she still managed to capture her fans back. talk about star power!! i don't really dig her type of songs, but no one can deny the star that is BOA.

9. 2PM - 2PM used to be no one. Then, came again and again. They became HUGE. Then came the controversy surrounding Jay. When he left, fans got angry. The others were blamed. Fortunately, the rest of 2PM keep their cool and work hard to win back their fans with good songs, awesome acrobatic choreography and drool-worthy abs.

10. Hyori - I think the list is not complete without Lee HyoRi. i love her in family outing. hyori is the kind who looks pretty in whatever she does. and she's funny as hell too. i don't know why i'm secretly rooting for hyori and rain to be together. they'll produce the cutest and talented babies ever.

11. SHINee - SHINee is well.. shiny!! They shine on stage. they literally have that kind of glow whenever they perform. i don't care if one of them have a girlfriend because it shows that they're not gay. they're just fun-loving boys. i applaud JongHyun for being true to his fans and admit that he's dating even though some of them hurl abuse at his girl. It's rare seeing an idol admitting to dating. so i wish shinee the best of luck. i know they're on their way to become the best.

yep, that's my list. i might be a bit biased. hehe

I will just identify top 3 which I feel deserved to be mentioned...

Shinhwa - Longest running boyband, an Legendary group in Korea for 10 years+, whom I believed majority fans who have being following K-Pop all these years will have at least heard of them although they may not be as popular as before. Many groups wants to be like them, they are ideal role model to many as Shinhwa's strong bond and friendship as well as their passion invested in their career (be it acting or singing or hosting) are something many wants to follow. (representative song: Brand New, T.O.P)

DBSK - Popular boyband in Korea with the biggest fanbase and not only are they popular in Korea, they have made a big name in Japan as well. Their popularity & influence level in Korean music history is so obvious that one cannot denied. (representative song: O-正.反.合 days)

BOA - She's the legendary princess of both Korean and Japanese pop. Started young, she already make a big name and fame. She is the representative of Korean female star with talents. She is an icon of Hallyu wave.(representative song: Listen to My Heart)

Others worth mentioning included: Wondergirls, RAIN and g.o.d

Guest nonblonde

My kind of music is R&B & Hip Hop. So I'm a bit biased to these artists

Solo

Lee Hyori. I love everything about her. Song, variety show & etc

Boa

Rain

Se7en

Idol Group

DBSK - They were huge and popular. Their songs is not really my thing but they were always so flawless in dancing and singing live. I'm always amazed when they performed LIVE. If only they into R&B & Hip Hop

Big Bang - Big Bang music is my kind of thing. The reason why I'm into Kpop. Talented group - lyric writing composing & producing their kind of music. Once a VIP forever a VIP. My LOVE for them is beyond universe

Super Junior - Not into their music except for No Other but I do adore the boys in variety show. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. So funny and their bromance is tight.

SNSD - Their music is too girlish for me but I do enjoyed some. I love the girls in variety shows. It's fun to watch them. Pretty, talented & have great sense of humor. I have seen them LIVE. They are walking barbie doll.

Wondergirl - I love Irony. Love tell me dance.

Others

Jk Tiger, Epik High, Shinhwa, H.O.T, GOD, FIN.KL, S.E.S & Seo Taiji & Boy

Guest ayameisastar

I see a lot of support for Shinhwa on this list but I don't see a lot of good reasoning for them to be on the list of the decade's most influential artists. My reason why I find Shinhwa to be one of the most influential kpop artists in the last decade is because they set so many precedents. A lot of people mention how long they've been together and how they're "legendary" and that's all true, but they fail to mention the extraordinary lengths they were forced to go to in order to stay together so long. Shinhwa is one of the original kpop boybands and even though they're not the first, they set a lot of precedents. For example, they were the first boyband to successfully leave SM entertainment, while keeping their name and popularity. Also, they were thevery first boyband to not only have individual activities during breaks, but also to successfully come back together again as a band to make more successful albums. While for new and younger kpop fans, this may seem pretty normal, it wasn't 5 years ago. Before Shinhwa started individual activities, you could only see bands or solo singers. There was no such thing as a solo singer who was also currently part of a boyband.

This if anything makes them deserve to be mentioned as one of the decade's most influential artists. Not to mention the fact that their music perfectly reflected the trends of that year.

Rain, is my first in k-pop entertainment :D, still is, Big Bang - they really know what a band is, Lee Hyori - is an exemple of how a singer should be.

Also, i like 2NE1, i love Gummy(& a little of Se7en), 2AM. Clazziquai, Loveholic & Winterplay are for my peace;)...

Guest legweak17

2ne1, Big Bang, DBSK, FT Island, Rain, and, above all: SHINee.  SHINee knows how to preform like no other, they know fashion like no other, they can sing like no other, and they know how to dance like no other (especially Taemin). Enough said.

Guest DBSKSHINeeLove

DBSK ; everyone has pretty much summed them up, They've made history so enough said.

Songs: Why did I fall in love with you, Love in the Ice, Bolero, etc. <3

I hear Shinhwa are one of the few idols that have been together for 10+ years also they were legendary.

Songs: I dont know much about them so.... -runs to go check out their songs-

BoA; her name says it all.

Songs: Girls on top

I said earlier that I thought Shinhwa was the most influential but I've decided that Clazziquai is the winner. They've made electronica mainstream in Korea, and now it's heard everywhere. Electronica was more of a marketing tool for pop artists before Clazziquai, and no artist really stuck with it. Now nearly all hit songs are heavily electronica based, and that's thanks to whom? Yep, it's Clazziquai.

Guest kayana20

Boa- I always admired her and just lost track of her then one day I rediscovered her. One of the most versatile dancers and korea's most successful singer.

SNSD- They struggled at first then came into their own and now are paving the way to a successful career.The power of 9 overcame it and now are taking japan by storm and internationally too.

Big Bang- Solo's or as a group. Versatility, rapping, clothing style, and many projects just draw in fans all over the world.

2NE1- Each one has something unique about them, insecurities too , hot beats and autotunes, and just touch us with their stories. A male version of Big Bang and the song is always creative and never disappoints.

Super Junior- Just love each group or sub group. Past and old members. Their songs always make me feel either happy or alive.

ohman, just read one comment about dbsk being the first to open japan's doors to kpop...well, person needs to pick up their fail and gtfo! lol! cause BOA was the one who broke down that barrier and we're talking about the DECADE's most influential kpop artist shisus! i don't think no other korean artist has that same passion for music like boa cause she literally lives for the damn thing D;

• 2 weeks later...

Archived