This decade's most influential k-pop artists and songs

Guest jay4ella

I feel like when everyone put DBSK on their list, they always mention the 800,000 Cassies. It really doesn't matter if they've made it in to the Guinness book of world records because in the end they are influential because they are talent. They are talent that many people thought singers lost. They made my list of influential because they made way for so many other companies to create boybands just to beat them. I understand BoA may have made the way for koreans in japan, but I believe till this day that it was actually DBSK that was able to introduce the japanese population into liking korean singers. They have that charisma that makes you bow down to them indefinitely. Their aura just captures you. No matter how many people try to hate or to anti against them, at the end of the day, in the back of their minds, they admit defeat.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wyteusagi

I feel like when everyone put DBSK on their list, they always mention the 800,000 Cassies. It really doesn't matter if they've made it in to the Guinness book of world records because in the end they are influential because they are talent. They are talent that many people thought singers lost. They made my list of influential because they made way for so many other companies to create boybands just to beat them. I understand BoA may have made the way for koreans in japan, but I believe till this day that it was actually DBSK that was able to introduce the japanese population into liking korean singers. They have that charisma that makes you bow down to them indefinitely. Their aura just captures you. No matter how many people try to hate or to anti against them, at the end of the day, in the back of their minds, they admit defeat.

totally agree ^^

perfect vocals, great charisma, amazing dancers, great teamwork, humble, very versatile, need i say more?

Guest indira8792

you are right girl!!!...........so sad for DBSK.........they have been split......i did want to them participate on the competiton of ellen show!!!................so sad and a little mad......keke......a hate and love reaction......but just hate to SM company.....cuz nobady can hate DBSK........!!!

Guest sereneryne

my list is more to the second half of the decade, since that's when I really got sucked into kpop world.

FTTS

Condition of my Heart, Missing You, Goodbye

Brown Eyes

Already One Year

SG Wannabe

Timeless, Crime Punishment, Eun

DBSK

One, Rising Sun, ...

Epik High

Fly, Fan, Love Love Love, One

MC Mong

I Love You Oh Thank You, Love You Till Death

Rain

Sad Tango, I'm Coming, Rainism

Big Bang

Lies, Haru Haru, Sunset Glow

Well of course there are other big names like BoA, H.O.T, G.O.D, Shinhwa, Hyori, WG, SuJu, 2NE1 ... but they didn't/don't really make a huge impact in MY kpop interest.

Guest MidnightByul

Mmmm..I would say these people.

Shinhwa : though i don't know much about them I see they have a great impact on Korean entertainment. I've seen them on shows, and their personalities, the way they are with each other and their fans, also just overall vibe. They are awesome.

BoA: Hands down the number one female soloist, of the decade (that just passed) She has amazing skills onstage, love her music and charisma.

Big Bang: I love these boys. You can't deny that they have a major impact on KPOP. They pull out of the norm for boy groups, being all pretty and whatnot. The fact that every member gets his spotlight, compose their own songs, venture into new aspects of entertainment....

Writing lyrics, composing music, choreo, acting in dramas, musicals, and movies.

A lead in fashion. Never a dull moment with these 5. Another thing, because their each unique they each have a future. Which means more to look forward too.

Their doing really good currently in Japan. 6..count'em..SIX concert arenas sold out in parts of Japan, that's huge, plus they won like a Newcomer award, collabs with other big Japan artists. A drama OST. and being the first Korean artist to do a theme song for a japanese. Show,

BB still has a long way to go, and so far they are doing great.

Rain: Mmmm, I guess he would be the king of KPOP. I can't say much...since I don't know much. But, I appreciate nonetheless, and waiting for his comeback.

Wonder Girls: Yup! Came out in..'07, right? Tell me, So Hot, Nobody...U.S debut. Doing awesome. These girls are at the top. Despite, the lost of one member at the moment, they can still go far, and do well.

For the upcoming decade or years....I choose...

SNSD ( I still don't see much growth, honestly. Hoping they do in the coming years they are still together.)

2NE1 ( they can go very far, like their brother group, anticpating much more..)

BEAST ( yes! beast! These boys are very talented. check them out, if you don't know. Sing, dance, rap. Their very good.)

.....I might come back to edit......but that's it in a nutshell.

Guest WGkeon

WonderGirls's tell me must be in the list.Why?

If u think about it, before tell me was out, there was no song that was as catchy as them.

The only big hit before tell me in 2007 was lies i think?

But after tell me was out, even though other idols needed around a year to produce their own catchy song. Since 2008 other den wonder girls so hot and nobody, theres no other catchy songs out there.

But

In 2009 starting with gee, all those catchy songs starts coming out , dance which are easy to follow starts coming out.

Without Wonder girl's Tell me there wont be today's kpop scene.

This one song really change the kpop world.

I dare to say some of the idol groups out there own their fame and glory of today to this one song.

Without tell me, u wont have ur gee, sorry sorry, abracadabra, mister and alot more songs out there.

Take tell me away, i think kpop wont have spread that far as compared to now.

Guest Daigo_Iwakura

Here's mine

1. BoA

2. Shinhwa

3. DBSK

4. Bigbang

5. Wondergirls - they brought the whole Kpop craziness in our country and through the whole of asia?

Special Mention

SuJu - because of "Sorry Sorry"

2ne1 - because of the Hip Hop punk image (IMO)

SNSD - They are well known outside korea.

She's a horrible singer and very unoriginal when it comes to her concepts for stages, and she hasn't done anything that you can mention that's a immediate WOW with awards or records or numbers, but when it comes to being an influence in korean pop culture of the decade, I have to say Lee Hyori. She had a lot of hit songs, but more than that- she was the first one to do/start pretty much what every other kpop artist is doing now to gain their popularity. Even what new kpop international fans love about their idols, a lot of it are things that Hyori did first back in the late 90s and early 2000s.

1. First idol girl to ever break from the cutesy/girly image into SEXY, and making sexy into something cool in Korea- a bombarding trend that is STILL going on today. In 2003 because of Hyori, kpop innocent was done and sexy was in, and it still seems like it wont ever get out. All the girls, and even the guys are doing it. That being said, 10 Minutes, I believe, was one of biggest and one of the very first huge syndromes of kpop history. Sexy, s-line, revealing clothes...couldn't ever be something accepted positively in Korea before her debut.

2. First singer ever to get paid that much for CFs. Before her, it was all about actors/actresses, but after Hyori swept away every CF you could see on TV and advertisement sales soaring as long as she was on with cellphones, clothes, alcohal, random drinks, anything else you can think of, it became another must-do for kpop singers, and she cleared the pathway for singers to be able to get the same chances as actors do, setting trends for CFs for singers that's going huge for today. Almost every idol group since then hasn't done some kind of CF of a product that attaches to their image to make themselves memorable and popular and before Hyori, it wasn't a thing for singers at all. Which moves onto my next point....

3. As someone earlier mentioned, first to be released in a CF drama! The Samsung Anycall Anymotion series was what started making cellphone CFs cool at all and after Anymotion with Eric Mun became a first and sensation, everyone started shooting cell phone CFs and cell phone CFs became a high mark in the CF world for not only singers, but for any star. Not to mention that CF songs are now just as big as singles and Anymotion and Anyclub were the first to start that.

4. The first "pretty" celebrity to brave up enough to be dorky, natural, down-to-earth, etc. Even during FinKL, Hyori was probably the first idol girl to be able to act dorky, gross, etc. etc. (Family Outing Hyori is nothing new to old fans) but when breaking into solo, she went all out crazy on the first variety show she MCed for, Happy Together, and following on other variety shows she guested for, interviews, talk shows, Family Outing-- and if music or sexy or looks wasn't what people loved her for, it was because of her personality to be able to do things that other girls are scared to do. Now it seems like being dorky is something SO great that all the girls are trying hard to show that side of themselves with weekly personal pictures, getting down and dirty on tv programs, acting silly on variety shows etc-- trying a little too hard imho :x

5. Speaking of variety shows: the first idol to be hugely successful in being a variety show MC. In 2003, Happy Together with Shin Dong Yup was even a bigger success than Family Outing, and after the professional and nutty character on the show, being an idol who is great on variety shows became a hit. She is probably the first idol who was able to be a fixed member for variety shows and MCed so well for tv and award shows, making it another addition to a popularity reason and the influence slowly touched other idols/singers and now- countless idols are fixed members of variety shows.

6. Probably the first idol group member to be a huge success as a solo (this meaning after her group has broken up and on her own.) No need for much explanation for this, but aside from Kim Jong Gook, I can't think of any other singer who has gone solo from a group to reach success. (Again, not counting group member solos today who still have their group's popularity on their backs.)

7. A member of the first idol girl group (evenly with SES and Baby VOX) which is something that kpop will always have.

Again, rather than personal success, I'm just stating things that were an influence to others. I feel like she doesn't deserve to get much respect as a music artist, but she's started so many underlying things that are being covered and used today for the current kpop trends and sensations so long ago and actually quite discreetely, that they aren't even affiliated with just her anymore but are now just part of kpop.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest *miss kty*

1- Lee Hyori

2- Shinhwa (mainly Hyesung & Minwoo)

3- Lyn

4- KangTa

5- FTTS

6- Hwayobi

7- DBSK

I chose them due to the fact that they all had an amazing singing timeline + fame + talent :)

I don't think BB, 2AM/PM, WG, SNDS can actually take this spot just because they haven't been around for that long though some of them are amazing!

Guest teresaa-

2NE1 ( they can go very far, like their brother group, anticipating much more..)

BEAST ( yes! beast! These boys are very talented. check them out, if you don't know. Sing, dance, rap. Their very good.)

that i agree with x100. the two above that are mentioned have a longg way to go. they'll be next decade's most influential artists foh sure. no doubt.

and plus

even though there's a minority that don't agree with this, but i think that big bang

is most definitely one of the influential groups in the kpop industry and just ONE of the groups that are most influential through this decade. Even though they only debuted '06, they are most definitely influential. composing their own songs, each member is unique, their sense of fashion and style and they hit songs that they produce one after another.

i have to agree about dbsk because immediately for people who probably don't know a lot but know enough about kpop, dbsk would have to be the group that would be guessed first. i mean cmon..you or you know SOMEBODY that when you asked or talked about kpop someone mentions something about dbsk. it's worldwide.

GOD, HOT, suju, 1tym, shinhwa; all of these groups have noticeably made their impact on the kpop scene and have influenced the groups that are currently active now, and has made the hallyu or idol's group what they are today.

lee hyori is also another major person. she is the queen of kpop. no one whose into kpop would have NEVER not heard of hyori. she is just majorly influential to many idols; eg. park bom and hyori are close and bom admires her unnie. this would have to be the same with BoA and the wondergirls. basically WG changed kpop after their hit song tell me and now we have the product of that change with the music that we kpop-shippers listen to now.

so yeah.

Guest cantthinkofaname

hm..decade?

1. lee hyori

2. boa

3. dbsk

4. rain

5. wonder girls *even though i'm not a big fan of them, but i do have to admit, they did at least bring something to kpop, even though they still haven't make it big in america yet.

6. snsd *gotta give my girls some props man, after all those ugly antis that they gain from such dumb assumptions made by gazillion fangirls/fanboys, they still came back strong with gee in 09 and over took korea with gee and genie, now with Oh! and RDR. Yeah most of you guys will be like, "um genie was overtaken by "i don't care" but believe me, in korea it was another story, buddy, and last time i checked, international counts as nothing in korea". They're always putting in fashion sense in korea, always in the media, always on variety talk shows, always on commericals, so why won't they be one of the best influentials in korea?

7. h.o.t

8. s.e.s *without s.e.s we wouldn't be getting any snsd and wg and kara etc. ya know what i mean?*

9. finkl

10. don't know who else to put in the tenth spot.

Guest thundersyco

Hhhh...

Too bad no one mentioned about these 9 amazing girls..

Hell yeah..! So Nyeo Shi Dae aka Girls Generation...

They are the best kpop singers for me..

Best record on Mubank with Gee (9-winning-streak). And actually Gee won the K-Chart on Mubank 11 times in 2009..

Then came out with Oh in 2010 and RDR as well. Those two songs are also hits, right??

I remember when Oh! first came out, it topped the chart in 10 minutes right away and lagged the site. Haha!

And during their promotion of their 2nd full album (Oh), they dominated the Top 10 in most charts with different songs in their album.

Anyways, if I'm not mistaken, they won 6 awards on MMA out of 13. Wow!

Isn't that amazing and influential enough?? I personally think it's over-influential. Hehe.

So I wonder why no one mentioned about them.

(When I say this, it means only a few people do.)

In my opinion:

BoA (man, No. 1 got me hooked into Kpop I believe)

DBSK (very influential in Asia. first love haha)

SNSD (it's really 'Girls' Generation' :D haha)

<3

As for songs, I think Gee's a really big hit in Korea. and Nobody :D

Guest solidate

This is a list of most influential artists, not necessarily the most popular or favorites, huh? Here're a few I'd like to mention...

Ava (이정현) - a trendsetter and still one of the most sensational performers right now. she definitely inspired many of young performers and the way they put on a show. plus i was recently listening to her second album and just thinking that it was released about 10 years ago made me astonished! O_o

SG Wannabe - they were really popular especially for their distinctive vocal style that is immediately recognized which also influenced others to sing like them. i mean, just think of all the wannabes they spawned in the mid 00s. XP

Brown Eyes - they were also extremely popular for their voice and smooth, pop ballad style and there were quite a few singers and groups for years that tried to make songs that sound like them. =/

I agree with other suggestions made by others. However I thought these artists deserve to be mentioned again.

Guest gogogloria

@ dothat36: Wasn't Kim Bum Soo the first to accomplish this?

In no particular order:

1. BoA - Before she went to Japan, she took over Korea by storm. She's also the most prominent female Hallyu artist I can think of. In addition, she's had a lot of different concepts. She was the one that got me into pop in the early 2000s. She was also the first breakthrough in Japan. (Representative song: No.1)

2. Lee Hyori - Truly.. she is the queen of kpop. :) In a country that likes their cute concepts, she fearlessly went for being sexy. Although she's not the first, she's the most prominent and undoubtedly paved the way for other groups/singers. Also, she was in FinKL! (Song: U-Go-Girl)

3. Shinhwa - Anyone who forgets Shinhwa on their list has obviously not been following kpop for a long time. Though HOT and Sechs Kies paved the way for them, I still consider them the biggest boy band in kpop history. Maybe not in terms of record sales but because of the way they escaped from being "idols" but all being their own distinct brand. They're one of the few groups where all members have distinct talents and are well-known OUTSIDE of their group. (Song: Brand New)

4. DBSK - Probably the best Hallyu artist. :o They have great talent and have the biggest fan club in the world (with reason). They established themselves as more than idols and are respective artists. (Song: Rising Sun)

5. SG Wannabe - One of the few acts that focused on talent as opposed to being "handsome" or "cute." Though ballads always had popularity, they consistently had hits even with their unique songs and powerful voices. (Song: 내 사람)

6. Rain - Even though 2pm is popular for being "beastly idols," Rain undoubtedly is their precedent. He's talented, has a great body, and has powerful dance moves. He also became one of Korea's top male singers (if not, the top) even though his face wasn't considered good enough to be an entertainer. He was also featured in TIME and has been noted for his incredible popularity in Asia. (Song: It's Raining)

7. Epik High - Introduced hip hop into mainstream. They have meaningful lyrics and are dedicated to creating great music outside the norm. (Song: Love Love Love)

8. Wonder Girls - As much as I personally don't have much love for them, they started the "kpop" craze and "idol" phase with Tell Me. Now, all idols have catchy songs and catchy dances to go along with them, and since 2007, idols have predominantly been dominating the korean music scene, leaving little room for other individual artists.

However, if we're talking about the person behind all of their success, I guess I would have to nominate JYP? He choreographed Tell Me and has produced hit artists other than Wonder Girls. (Song: Tell Me)

9. G.O.D. - Combining rap and great vocals, they were incredibly popular and talented. :) Another boy band that will be remembered. (Song: To my mother)

As for the people mentioning 2NE1, SNSD, and Beast:

Although I like all three groups and admit that the former two are explosively popular, I don't know if I could quite say that they are influential. Yes, SNSD and 2NE1 took the kpop world by storm, but it hasn't been that long since they debuted and came to prominence. In addition, what have the both of them contributed to the kpop scene? As of yet, I would have to say Wonder Girls introduced the catchy song + dance combo that the idol groups have been following. As for 2NE1, I agree that the four girls are incredibly unique and I love their charisma. However, it's been about a year since they debuted, and we haven't seen the effects of their influence yet. Also, BEAST is wayyyy too new to even be considered. No offense, because I love BEAST, but they haven't exactly become the most prominent boy band either. They're still rookies and are somewhat unknown (to the point that people outside the teen demographic could not know them). You could argue with me about SNSD and 2NE1, but I think BEAST is too new to even be considered.

Guest ilovesnowwhite

SNSD that was esplosively popular 9 weeks on the top is not a joke.

SUJU even non koreans know the song Sorry Sorry. It is big in Asia.

BIGBANG a Hiphop yet idol group conquering cf world

WONDERGIRLS first group who made it on billboard 100 of US

DBSK.. FILLING TOKYO DOME!! WHAW

Guest orange.juiced

Here's my list(no particular order):

1. Kim Jong Kook - One person that people are missing on a lot of lists posted above. He my not be at the top right now, but he was in the mid 2000, if I remember correctly, forgive me if I'm wrong. He's the one to follow in becoming a successful solo artist after being in a popular idol group. He also was on FO, XMan, and many other variety shows.

2. Lee Hyori - Like KJK, she became a successful solo artist after being in a popular idol group. She brought you laughter in variety shows like FO, Sang Sang Plus, etc. She also is inspiring many idol artists right now.

3. DBSK - Well it is DBSK. Probably one of the most successful idol group ever to appear in Kpop. They've also managed to make hits in the Japanese market. I really don't follow them too much, but there is no denying when it comes to the success of this group.

4. Big Bang - Like DBSK, they've also made it in the Japanese market. They also made it to be one of the top idol groups in Kpop. I don't follow them either, but I know that they should be on my list.

5. SNSD - Since their debut they've managed to make 8 consecutive hits(including their debut song ITNW to their recent one RDR). They also brought the Gee syndrome, TMYW syndrome, Oh syndrome, and RDR syndrome. Brought thousands of antis and making them into fans. They seriously are re-writing the history of being Korea's Top Girl group with their album sales, number of cfs, number of endorsements, etc. Their stuff are selling like hot-cakes. They are reaching the top boy groups numbers when it comes to album sales and that is hard for any girl group to ever achieve in this decade.

6. Shinwa - I wasn't into Kpop when they were active as a group, but I do remember them at the end of their group career and the beginning of their solo careers, and they seem like they had an influence on Kpop due to current idol groups singing their songs and mentioning their names.

7. H.O.T - Same thing with Shinwa.

8. G.O.D - Same thing as 2 listed above.

9. BoA - Enough said, she's BoA. Probably the most successful female solo artist to ever grace Kpop.

10. Rain - International star,now movie star, still a successfull solo artist, and a producer of an idol group.

Honorable mentions:

- Wonder Girls - Why aren't they up on the list and SNSD is? The thing is that, yes, they had their hits and made repeatative songs the in-thing-to-do, but they haven't really made an impact impact, IMO. They had 2008, but that's it and went to the US(kind of wished they would've stayed longer in Korea to see where their popularity they had in 2008 would take them). They did have a somewhat successful debut in the US, but nothing big.

- Suju - They are a well known idol group. They hadn't really made an impact, but they did have Sorry Sorry. They sure are taking over djing on radio shows.

- 2PM - They are popular currently and latching in cfs, variety shows, etc.I am looking forward to their bright future.

Archived