Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edward1849

This decade's most influential k-pop artists and songs

Guest akmaooo

Tiger JK and Garion are highly influential. Pioneers of Korean hip-hop, not sure if P-Type falls into this category as well.

I totally agree with you !!

Guest jagerbomb

no bias whatsoever

but i think DECADE wise, it will have to be BOA, RAIN, WONDERGIRLS & DBSK

i think we have to think a bit more outside of the usual perspective and look at their achievements.

BOA first and foremost for opening the doors to japan and conquering the japanese market. although she isnt as popular as she used to be it was her that definitely paved the way for other artists to come aka DBSK

RAIN for making it 'big' in hollywood, exaggeration on the big but i think his the korean singer with the most international coverage up until wondergirls.

WONDERGIRLS, what can i say? they conquered korea and at their peak they risked it all to make a name for themselves at a place where other idols or singers for a fact, dared not to. TELL ME was definitely the song  of the decade imo and nobody just topped it off.

DBSK. after boa they helped pave the way for the recent korean singers who are making it in japan aka KARA/SNSD. Although boa impacted in japan it wasnt until dbsk that really drove the force into the japanese music industry and made korean singers/idols a known force to beckon with.

All in all, i think to be influential you have to try something new and make groundbreaking progress.

Taking risks is also a huge factor. I didn't take into consideration the groups like snsd/kara/bigbang and etc because although they have great music and what not, they aren't really doing much in terms of making a huge impact like these four mentioned. YES they may have big fanbases but how about their lifetime achievements? they can say 'oh we had xx amounts of no.1 hits in korea/japan' but they can't say 'it was ME who led the way to other artists'.

To further foreground, as i said BOA/DBSK were the first to make it in the japanese market so hence, i can safely say that any korean group that is making it big in japan are riding on their hard achievements because they obviously did NOT have to go through what boa/dbsk did.

Guest anazianblonde

DBSK

There are a few other artists that I would put in this list, but DBSK is the first to pop into my head.

Getting rid of my fangirl craze, they are simply magnificent.

1. The voices that capture the hearts of not just Koreans, but the rest of Asia. The World.

2. Continuously proving themselves and topping the oricon chart over and over and over again.

3. 800,000 cassies....and that is the just the official members from years ago...

4. Singing live while performing powerful choreography... how many artists can actually do this?

5. Self compositions, some can even be consider as the title track.

6. I didn't really want to touch on this topic but...their decision to break free from the cruelness of the contracts has and will

pave the path for future artists.

Shinning star of the music industry throughout the world.

Always Keep The Faith

Guest davidfresh

Kpop: BoA. She started the female soloist wave, stars like Bae Seulgi and Ayumi Lee followed in her domination.I know people will argue that DBSK (or maybe further up) Wonder Girls; started the idol trend. But the idol group boom wasn't until 2/3 through the decade.

Khip-hop: Is it even a question? Garion sparked the Korean hip-hop renaissance, and all things Soul Company. Speaking of which, are there any respected hip-hop artists that SC hasn't worked with?

K-Indie: Han Hee Jung. No explanation necessary.

I also agree with Clazziquai, g.o.d, TVXQ, and SG Wannabe.

Regarding Seo Taiji, he was the man in the 90's. But in the 00's, he didn't have as much influence (sans the Ultramania era, which admittedly influenced even idols /H.o.t./)

Guest GreenTeaGraffiti

This is a tough question.  Let's see what I can do:

BoA:  As stated  by earlier posters, she paved the way for other Korean stars to hit up the Japanese music scene.  She also influenced ballads in Korean music, promoted collaborations between Korean and Japanese artists, and produced many memorable sound tracks earlier in her Korean music career.  She also ventured into the US market too.

WonderGirls:  Before the "Gee" craze, there was "Tell Me".  The WonderGirls started the girl group craze again back in 2007.  All the Girls Generation, T-aras, and Kara groups can arguably be traced to the these girls.

They also popularized the "having one skilled rapper in the group" (Yoobin) theme too, alongside with the Brown Eyed Girls.

The Wonder Girls had three major hits between 2007 and 2009 and topped it off with their most famous song, "Nobody".  They've appeared in "So you think you can dance", toured with the Jonas Brothers, and are now in China for promotions.  Within the US music industry, they are one of the most respected Asian groups.  

Garion:  For Korean hip-hop, he pretty much revolutionized it.  He pretty much knows every underground artist, put K hip-hop on the map, and has created his own groups.

DBSK:  It's hard to argue against this group too.  Their careers have been eight years long, starting earlier in the 2000s.  They do have catchy songs, good voices, and the charm to be successful.  And successful they were.  They are equally popular in Korea and Japan.  Many Kpop fans, when asked their first Kpop band they heard, will automatically say DBSK.  

Guest unknown_to_jj

I will just identify top 3 which I feel deserved to be mentioned...

Shinhwa - Longest running boyband, an Legendary group in Korea for 10 years+, whom I believed majority fans who have being following K-Pop all these years will have at least heard of them although they may not be as popular as before. Many groups wants to be like them, they are ideal role model to many as Shinhwa's strong bond and friendship as well as their passion invested in their career (be it acting or singing or hosting) are something many wants to follow. (representative song: Brand New, T.O.P)

DBSK - Popular boyband in Korea with the biggest fanbase and not only are they popular in Korea, they have made a big name in Japan as well. Their popularity & influence level in Korean music history is so obvious that one cannot denied. (representative song: O-正.反.合 days)

BOA - She's the legendary princess of both Korean and Japanese pop. Started young, she already make a big name and fame. She is the representative of Korean female star with talents. She is an icon of Hallyu wave.(representative song: Listen to My Heart)

Others worth mentioning included: Wondergirls, RAIN and g.o.d

Yep, this sums it up for me.

Guest 1HeartJaEjoong

DBSK

There are a few other artists that I would put in this list, but DBSK is the first to pop into my head.

Getting rid of my fangirl craze, they are simply magnificent.

1. The voices that capture the hearts of not just Koreans, but the rest of Asia. The World.

2. Continuously proving themselves and topping the oricon chart over and over and over again.

3. 800,000 cassies....and that is the just the official members from years ago...

4. Singing live while performing powerful choreography... how many artists can actually do this?

5. Self compositions, some can even be consider as the title track.

6. I didn't really want to touch on this topic but...their decision to break free from the cruelness of the contracts has and will

pave the path for future artists.

Shinning star of the music industry throughout the world.

Always Keep The Faith

Couldn't agree more :D They are just absolutely amazing aren't they :P

Guest BKJSuh

K-Indie: Han Hee Jung. No explanation necessary.

Deli Spice. Gotta give the credit where it's due my man.

SNSD is the artist of this decade...

and GEE is definitely the song of this decade...

most of KPOP fans..not most but all kpop fans must had listened to GEE at least once or twice before...

no one should deny this...

Guest GATX303Aegis

Super Junior: The biggest boy band in the world comprising of 13 members (3 currently inactive), Super Junior exploded

onto the kpop stage the second they became a fully fledged group with their hit single "U". They followed up

with the album Don't Don, released after the group went through a series of serious injuries and trials. In 2009,

their popularity soared to a global level with the release of "Sorry Sorry" topping charts for a record three months. 

Their fourth album "BONAMANA" came seventh in global album sales placing, becoming the first Asian Artist to 

do so. Currently, Super Junior also holds the most number

of sub-groups (5), the most drama OSTs and have expanded into other entertainment fields such as acting, MC

being the most popular idol variety guest in Asia. 

Guest ktopia

Definately in no particular order:

BoA, Hyori Lee, DBSK, SG Wannabe, Shinhwa, Lee Seung Gi, Rain, Big Bang, Wonder Girls happy.gif

If I had to divide it into categories,

KPop: Shinhwa. They developed the concept of individual members splitting off to do solo activities and then coming back together (like Voltron). They're also highly influential musicians, with Perfect Man being the general basis for boy band music up to around the release of Tell Me.

KHiphop: Garion. Drunken Tiger proved hip-hop could be successful in Korea, but it wasn't until Garion came that Khiphop really took off.

KIndie: Clazziquai. The pioneers of electronic music in Korea. Also Clazziquai isn't a group of music snobs who think the masses are undeserving of their music, and they helped make good music accessible to everyone (using something like the way myspace did bands).

Guest beceshawtti3

I only think of

Big Bang - Remember

SNSD - the 1st album!

WG - if they ever have their full album, I would rank them here but they always released minies/single..

Seo Taiji - one of best sellers i think

DBSK - Mirotic

Super Junior - the 3rd album - sorry sorry

Rain - rainism

best artists : going to be DBSK (obviously), Soshi, BB, WG, Rain, BoA, Suju

i think no one can surpass all of these artiste ^^ popularity now~

WG did have their first full album in 2007, The Wonder Years. It is truly amazing. Get with the program

The most influential kpop artist is definitely Wonder Girls. They started the Tell Me Virus and took over Korea and led the girl group craze with the highly addictive melodies. No one should even argue that other hits like Gee, Bo Peep Bo Peep, etc. trailed behind WG's music. And they started the retro craze as well. Their songs are iconic like Nobody. Gee was the hit of 2009 but it's not a classic or iconic like WG's songs are.

Here's my list(no particular order):

1. Kim Jong Kook - One person that people are missing on a lot of lists posted above. He my not be at the top right now, but he was in the mid 2000, if I remember correctly, forgive me if I'm wrong. He's the one to follow in becoming a successful solo artist after being in a popular idol group. He also was on FO, XMan, and many other variety shows.

2. Lee Hyori - Like KJK, she became a successful solo artist after being in a popular idol group. She brought you laughter in variety shows like FO, Sang Sang Plus, etc. She also is inspiring many idol artists right now.

3. DBSK - Well it is DBSK. Probably one of the most successful idol group ever to appear in Kpop. They've also managed to make hits in the Japanese market. I really don't follow them too much, but there is no denying when it comes to the success of this group.

4. Big Bang - Like DBSK, they've also made it in the Japanese market. They also made it to be one of the top idol groups in Kpop. I don't follow them either, but I know that they should be on my list.

5. SNSD - Since their debut they've managed to make 8 consecutive hits(including their debut song ITNW to their recent one RDR). They also brought the Gee syndrome, TMYW syndrome, Oh syndrome, and RDR syndrome. Brought thousands of antis and making them into fans. They seriously are re-writing the history of being Korea's Top Girl group with their album sales, number of cfs, number of endorsements, etc. Their stuff are selling like hot-cakes. They are reaching the top boy groups numbers when it comes to album sales and that is hard for any girl group to ever achieve in this decade.

6. Shinwa - I wasn't into Kpop when they were active as a group, but I do remember them at the end of their group career and the beginning of their solo careers, and they seem like they had an influence on Kpop due to current idol groups singing their songs and mentioning their names.

7. H.O.T - Same thing with Shinwa.

8. G.O.D - Same thing as 2 listed above.

9. BoA - Enough said, she's BoA. Probably the most successful female solo artist to ever grace Kpop.

10. Rain - International star,now movie star, still a successfull solo artist, and a producer of an idol group.

Honorable mentions:

- Wonder Girls - Why aren't they up on the list and SNSD is? The thing is that, yes, they had their hits and made repeatative songs the in-thing-to-do, but they haven't really made an impact<i> impact</i>, IMO. They had 2008, but that's it and went to the US(kind of wished they would've stayed longer in Korea to see where their popularity they had in 2008 would take them). They did have a somewhat successful debut in the US, but nothing big.

- Suju - They are a well known idol group. They hadn't really made an impact, but they did have Sorry Sorry. They sure are taking over djing on radio shows.

- 2PM - They are popular currently and latching in cfs, variety shows, etc.I am looking forward to their bright future.

Wonder Girls are in your honorable mentions? Really? If you don't know that they influenced Kpop in so many ways, you're out of your mind. SNSD's hits like Gee trailed behind WG's Tell Me, etc. WG influenced Kpop so much more than SNSD did. Everything WG did, somehow idols changed and borrowed from them.

Guest happipplrock

My top three are Boa, DBSK and Rain.

I am waaaay too late, but...

BoA (song: No. 1)

She must be at least top 3 on this list, if not number 1. Her name itself is simply iconic of the Kpop scene; she's got one heck of a voice and unmatched dance skills. Her achievements to date are simply amazing; she really set the Hallyu wave in motion and bridged the Korean and Japanese music industries. Her popularity was used to promote DBSK and her other hoobaes that have made it big. It's because of her success that many Kpop groups dared to venture into the Japanese market. And how many Asian artists have actually tried their luck in the US? She's not just the Queen of Kpop, but the Beat of Asia ;D

Guest XxTwilightSecretsxX

Tvxq - First Korean group to really hit it big in Japan, they're one of the main reasons for the Hallyu wave and why so many new Korean groups can get into the tough Japanese market easily.  Biggest fanclub (Not including all the unlisted fans not in Korean or Japan) topping the oricon chart over and over and over again. They have massive amounts of awards and are labelled the 'Gods' of kpop.

BoA - She's the 'Queen of Kpop,' and she was the first to go into Japan, she just didn't make hit it big but she was really young and solo so.. She's a legend, inspiration and idol who doesn't have to wear skimpy clothes to be awesome. I idolise her a lot more than the other korean girl groups ect. The only other person I admire in Kpop (POP) is IU and Hyori.

Rain - He's massively popular, you should see my Aunt go on about him, it's hilarious. I first found him through her actually, I was relatively new to Kpop and she was going on about him being one of the biggest Kpop idols so I checked him out. He's also appeared in many tv shows, of couse we all know Ninja Assassin.

Shinwha / HOT / GOD - These guys are all legendary groups and though they were finishing up their careers as groups when I joined the world of Kpop I still listen to their songs and completely adore them. I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this) that Kpop was dying when these three groups came out. They're legends to groups like Tvxq, Super Junior ect.

Lee Hyori - She's like a Godess seriously, amazing stage presence and, like BoA, doesn't need to be vulgar because she's got heaps of talent. 

WG - They led the girl group epedemic in Korean, girl groups weren't popular before people like WG came out. Their US debut was huge in the Kpop world. Their single 'Nobody' become one of those unforgettable songs like 'Rainism,' 'No. 1,' 'Girls on Top,' 'Perfect Man,' ect.

These are the groups and people i think are the most Influential Kpop Artists and some songs. xD There are some new groups that I look forward to watching them in THEIR OWN decade but for the one that just finished, definetly these groups/artists.

Guest ndr

For the decade 2000-2010 I would list these artists:

Shinhwa - Thirteen years since their debut and they're still going strong! Their music and their choreography pretty much set up the formula for boybands today. Not to mention their personalities and their appearances on variety shows. I could name at least five boybands today that act in the same manner that Shinhwa does. Let's remember, most idol groups then were extremely well resereved. Not these boys!

DBSK - They've proven to be extremely successful, in terms of albums sold and the massive fanbase they hold. Exceptional choreography and live singing abilities certainly contribute. They were also the first to break into the Japanese market successfully.

Kim Jong Kook - His music was extremely popular. I know he has won a Daesang before over idol artists, which includes DBSK and Big Bang, and he has proven that life can go on after being part of an idol group.

Big Bang - They were able to bring hip hop into mainstream kpop after 1TYM had discontinued activites. They're definitely not afraid to try new forms of music and continue to evolove.

Wonder Girls - 'Tell Me' jumpstarted the whole dance craze and catchy repetitive lyrics that brought upon hits like 'Nobody', 'Gee', 'Mister', and 'Bo Peep'.