Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edward1849

This decade's most influential k-pop artists and songs

Guest justblaqcloud

Just one name..Rain..

he's the one that make peoples around the world attracted to K-pop (not try to underestimate another artist), he's the only one that make people open their eyes with K-pop world, especially @ west..from Rain steps, the world knows bout DBSK, BigBang, etc...Rain is the icon of K-pop..

Guest Qi Luo

5)Fly to the Sky - Personally, one of the best R&B duo to date.Although they were originally under SM entertainment, it was when they left SM for PFull Entertainment did they started to really shine with the album Transition. Although the album sold less then when they were under SM, it is vocally one of their best works with songs such as Like a man and Evasion.

I love Fly To The Sky! And I agree with you that they became better when they moved to another company. When they were under SM ent they selled more records because of SM ent power of promoting their artists and groups, but their songs released produced by SM were not that great and didn't do justice to Fly To The Sky's talent. So when Fly To The Sky moved to another company and they got more freedom to chose the musical direction they wanted to follow, Fly To The Sky became even more amazing because they were able to showcase their amazing talent with great songs and beautifully produced songs.

Guest Sherelle

G.O.D

H.O.T

SHINHWA.

How can it be Kpop if we missed out these names? They are legends.

Now?

DBSK .- NO DOUBT.

BIGBANG.

WG (Without HaeLim). - I don't think I can include HaeLim as one of the WG , at least not for now.

Guest --hearts.

Epik High - One. Epik High doesn't need an explanation. They are the explanation.

Drunken Tiger - 8:45. Legendary.

Rain

BoA

Lee Hyori - U Go Girl. This song basically summed up Lee Hyori for us from the last decade: Fun, trendy, confident & sexy.

Big Bang - Lies.

Super Junior - Sorry Sorry. In a way, these guys set a different standard for idol groups. When they started out saying they mean to take over every aspect of the entertainment industry, they literally meant every aspect of the entertainment industry.

DBSK

JYP

G.O.D.

Guest ricardox

Just one name..Rain..

he's the one that make peoples around the world attracted to K-pop (not try to underestimate another artist), he's the only one that make people open their eyes with K-pop world, especially @ west..from Rain steps, the world knows bout DBSK, BigBang, etc...Rain is the icon of K-pop..

Seriously, nobody here in the US knows who he is outside the Korean community.

Lots of men know who Hyori is (Hard to avoid her picture in sports and auto forums.) but no one knows what she sings or even that she sings. Most think she's a model.

Wonder Girls are the only Korean group ever mentioned to me from someone who wasn't Korean.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say popularity of Korean artists in the "west" is vastly overstated.

Guest BB`

since this is about the DECADE's most influential artist, meaning thats from 2000-2009, i would have to say BoA.

BoA made her debut in 2000 in korea, and was a huge hit instantly. she took the whole korea by storm and surprised them with her amazing dancing and singing abilities even at a tender age.

when she crossed over to japan 2 years later, she achieved success once again, topping the oricon charts many times, and performing at the prestigous kouhaku. on top pf that, she has had sold-out tours and concerts every year in japan, and is arguably one of the top 4 princesses in avex.

BoA has many chart toppping albums and #1 hits. almost all her albums have topped the oricon charts, and she has gone platinum in so many countries, so many times. she also has numerous awards under her belt, including the most influential asian artiste award at the mtv asia awards in 2004, crowning her status as Best of Asia.

All throughout this decade, BoA has been active every year, releasing albums and singles non-stop in both korea and japan. with her foray into the american music industry, she is set to climb even higher and set higher benchmarks for other asian artistes.

Outside of music, BoA has also helped improve the longstanding tense relations between Korea and Japan. although her contributions in that area are not great, it is because she is limited by her position as a celebrity, and given her status, she has done her best.

BoA is also one of the leading Hallyu stars, and a top one too, and i would consider one of korea's most representative artistes. She's well known not only in korea and japan, but also taiwan, china, hong kong, singapore, malaysia, thailand, philippines, and tons of other countries outside of asia.

choosing just 1 song out of her many hits is almost impossible, but i would have to say it would be No. 1. this song was a hit both in korea and japan (as with many of her other songs) but i think it is probably her biggest hit. also, i think the title pf this song suits her perfectly, she is the No. 1 female artist in Asia.

Took the words out of my mouth, literally. I was planning on having a different song but they mentioned it too. I used to be on the Anti-BoA bandwagon but I'm won over by her work and have finally recognize her talent. This girl was born to perform.

Guest dragonwings221

DBSK all the way.

BoA right next to them.

Wonder Girls off to the side kinda.

I hate to say it, but no one else mentioned comes close to them.

They've done more for Korean music than any other artist out there.

Plus I haven't even heard of anyone outside of them mentioned in the states.

Not that it should be a measure of North American acknowledgment or anything.

Guest Mindless_Angel

BoA, Rain, DBSK and Big Bang for the decade-no doubt. Do I even have to mention how great they are?

Groups that I think made differences but not sure of being legends as of yet.

Super Junior: I agree they're in every field of entertainment.

SNSD: They've changed the world of Kpop girl groups. They've been through

so many hardships with antis and image to get where they are now.

Wonder Girls: They've created the catchy theme for songs in KPOP.

Guest neptune_joker

I started listening to kpop only 3 years ago after being introduced to DBSK. So I may not know a lot of senior Korean artistes. But I have to say that the new generation of Kpop singers are that popular now because it is in huge part thanks to their sunbaes. So I'm going to recall the times before I got into kpop about Kpop artistes who were well-known and brought the korean wave to the world.

BoA. Hands-down. While kpop started way before BoA debuted, BoA was the one to spread the wave across Asia. Being in South-east Asia, most of the people here listen mainly to mandopop, english songs or malay songs. BoA made her name known with her songs being played on TV and even Taiwanese idol dramas. She was the first to push the Korean wave, and hard I must add. In my generation, kpop fans or not, there are few who doesn't know BoA. Not to mention, her success at a young age was only achieved through her talent and sheer hard work. To me, she's the perfect idol and model for all the new generation kpop artistes. Her influence in spreading the kpop wave is significant. Song: No. 1, Every Heart, Girls On Top, Atlantis Princess. Though my fave is Girls On Top. Show em the girl power!)

Shinhwa and DBSK are also of worthy mention. H.O.T and g.o.d were great, but I think Shinhwa set the mold for the idol groups today. The kind of teamwork and bond they had was awesome. And their songs were also very well-known in the Chinese music industry, especially Perfect Man. DBSK, there's nothing more to say. Just today, there was news that DBSK's Best Selection 2010 was the best-selling album in the WORLD for the past week. Biggest official fanclub in the world, not counting the giant fanbase they have outside South Korea. Their song Rising Sun is also a very well-known hit in Asia. Beautiful voices, great dancers, composing talents, humble attitude, teamwork and lots of charity work (esp Yunho). The kind of things that gain fans who remain as Cassiopeia from then on.

H.O.T - No need for explanation. They started it all. the "Candy" dance where Moon Heejun butt-hops on the floor is classic! Bet everyone still thinks of that while Moon Heejun sings his rock songs now, haha.

I don't know about the more senior artistes but I've certainly heard of Brown Eyes and "Already 1 Year" is one of my fave Korean ballad EVER. Their songs are such great works that can only come from the truly talented. "Kajima Kajima Kajima" is really an epic ballad for me as well.

Kiss' "Because I'm A Girl" is really a one-hit wonder. I've got friends who have absolutely no contact with kpop but have watched the MV before. The MV storyline of the guy donating his eyes to his girlfriend is just famous.

How bout MC Mong? I think he had many great songs throughout his career. A wide variety too! I don't know much about his history but he's got his own style (comedic MVs and lyrics). His song "Circus" was a hit, though my fave has got to be his older works like "Ice Cream" and "Love Letter".

Epik High is just fabulous. Anyone who has heard "One" will be blown away by them. Another of my personal favorite after "One" will be "1 Minute 1 Second".

Fly To The Sky, one of my most favorite ballad acts after Shin Seung Hoon and Brown Eyes. "Missing You", I think was the best song. They've got so many hits I can't count!

I'm not a big fan of Wonder Girls' song catchy songs (they're great girls, no offence to them) but they started the whole craze of addictive dance steps and hook songs. I don't like this trend, but you gotta admit, this trend is big and still going strong. I just wish the Nobody song craze will cease totally because even WG themselves are sick of it already! It's time for them to take the world with something else.

SNSD - admit it, they're HUGE now. Every other guy in my country who doesn't even like kpop at first are crazy over them. And who doesn't know "Gee"? Even though their influence only became significant from 2009, it is still pretty big. 9 consecutive Music Bank wins is no joke. You've got to have many non-Sones liking that song in order to have that result. I mean, even Cassiopeia couldn't give the Dong Bang boys that.

Super Junior - Sorry, Sorry craze spread all over the world. Almost as big as Nobody I might say. And they are gaining a hell lot of fans around the world.

Clazziquai - maybe not as popular but their songs were really different from the rest. First knew about them through My Name is Kim Sam Soon OST. Their ballads had an R&B and Blues groove to them while their upbeat songs had a little techno vibe to it. It makes their music so unique and so addictive. I was so addicted to "Be My Love" and "She Is".

JYP's "Honey"? I think it's pretty classic, with those dance moves too. I laugh each time this song comes up in my mp3. I don't like him that much, but this song is genius. He's a genius for coming up with mad addictive songs.

Can't think of anymore now. My kpop "experience" is quite limited. There may be other legends I don't know much about and that task will be left to the other kpop fans :D

Guest Ruud

Lots of men know who Hyori is (Hard to avoid her picture in sports and auto forums.) but no one knows what she sings or even that she sings. Most think she's a model.

Wonder Girls are the only Korean group ever mentioned to me from someone who wasn't Korean.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say popularity of Korean artists in the "west" is vastly overstated.

Seriously, you gotta look at bigger picture, Rain has accomplished more than any other Korean entertainers did, look at his status in Korean entertainment industry now. Countless of Korean singers, idols, actors influenced by Rain's style and look up to him as a role model for them. He set sexy style (ripping shirt) in Korea and now it's a trend for Korean idol singers to tear their shirt off on stage. He's the first Korean actor to advance to Hollywood with a leading role in Hollywood movie.

With all his breakthrough accomplishments, he's more legendary than anyone else.

Guest todachios

Seriously, you gotta look at bigger picture, Rain has accomplished more than any other Korean entertainers did, look at his status in Korean entertainment industry now. Countless of Korean singers, idols, actors influenced by Rain's style and look up to him as a role model for them. He set sexy style (ripping shirt) in Korea and now it's a trend for Korean idol singers to tear their shirt off on stage. He's the first Korean actor to advance to Hollywood with a leading role in Hollywood movie.

With all his breakthrough accomplishments, he's more legendary than anyone else.

Dont forget his bit with Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report, that definately got him out there too.

And actually K-Pop in the US is alot more popular than you'd think. It may not be mainstream, but just like J-Pop/Rock its there and its pretty well known. In fact from my experience its not the asian people i know that like k-pop/j-pop etc, but everyone else.

Guest CChanel

Took the words out of my mouth, literally. I was planning on having a different song but they mentioned it too. I used to be on the Anti-BoA bandwagon but I'm won over by her work and have finally recognize her talent. This girl was born to perform.

SAME. I was Anti-BoA as well, but only because I was a jealous 13 year old. She deserves all the good things in this world cause that girl is such a hard worker. I have so much respect for her.

Guest E4Chaewon

Hey come on! Just because you're DBSK fan, you can't say BoA is next to them.

We all know that BoA is great inspiration to all Korean singers. SNSD, Wonder Girls, T-ara, Kara and Rainbow all them inspires BoA not because she is their sunbae, because she is damn hard working and talented singer. Who knows, if DBSK would have been this popular, if japan couldn't discover BoA?????????

Even though I'm T-ara and SNSD fan, I can say that there won't be artist like BoA in 100 years in Asia. She is a true idol....

Guest huttkung

An JinKyoung - Bad Person

Baby VOX Re.V - Never Say Good-bye

T-ARA - Good Person , Lie

T-ARA & Supernova - Time To Love, TTL Listen2

SS501 : I'm Stupid , Find

Baby VOX : Missing You , By Chance

Brown Eyed Girl : Sign , Abracadabra

BoA : No.1 , Eat You Up

Rain : Rainism

Wonder Girls : Nobody

Jewelry : One More Time

DBSK : Mirotic

Super Junior - Sorry Sorry , U

4minute : Hot issue , Musik

Son Dambi : Saturday Night , Crazy

Gavy N.J : Sun Flower

A'st : 1234 Back

SNSD : Gee

2ne1 : Fire , I don't care

CN Blue : Alone

Parkbom : You And I

H.A.M : T.T Dance

Eyery songs're great right? If you listen all these songs, I think you'll say Wow!!! and if everybody know all these songs so they would like to know who are sing these songs too and I think it's will more influential than now^^

not only song all of them are really great too^^

DBSK and Baby VOX << I think they're popular around the world, they're the first that make Korea Fever too!!

Guest TSM.Hidden

DONG BANG SHIN KI INDEFINATELY

Guest Kdramaaddict27

Wonder Girls-Tell Me. They are crazy good and to be a female in a male dominated profession, not to mention making it on the Billboards top 100! Need I say more....

BoA- wow!!! No explanation needed, girl can sing!

Shinhwa- can't choose a song, all are good but to have lasted what 12 years and still be popular is amazing. Plus they kind of set the standard for future boy groups.

Big Bang- Lies though a Fools only Tears was my favorite. They are an iconic group, even here in the states wether people listen to them or not everyone knows who Big Bang is. On top of that they were able to bring a style of Hip Hop to Korea that I don't think had been seen before. Plus The Big Bang style became a very popular fasion trend.

DBSK- They have what over eight thousand fans and are known world wide. If thats not influential then I don't know what is.

Guest gail_opal20

I think it's DBSK, as what most 'posters' said, they're the group with biggest fans club in the world and also, they're the most successful Korean Boy Band ever.

Guest shinhdeplol

they are an iconic group, even here in the states wether people listen to them or not everyone knows who Big Bang is.

really? :wub: gahh im so proud of my boys

Guest af_1993

of course i will choose SNSD because they're the one that make me into these Korean things...first song that i heard from them was GEE and until now it's my favourite song..and now they're the most popular girl group in ASIA...

hmm...i must say that wonder girls are great too..maybe better than snsd as their song was in the billboard though..

SNSD is still Jjjang!!

Guest midnightwynter

TVXQ/Tohoshinki/DBSK: Huge fan group and not only that large amount of fans world wide. The one thing that stands out for them is the "RED OCEAN". XD, I'm amazed every time I see pictures of the turnout at their concerts or fan meetings. I don't know about songs because I have many favorites.