[Updated!] YG Plagiarism Issues - Teddy, “I did not plagiarise anything”

Guest ningmeng

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GD has my full support and as for him being not creative - can anyone in here name an idol that comes close to GD and what he had accomplish so far?

Seriously...? :o If you have to ask the question, you 1) probably don't know much about kpop music and 2) won't get a response from me, because it's pretty obvious.

Honestly, I liked Big Bang and 2NE1, but stans that worship the ground their idols walk on and who refuse to think they are anything less than genius saints have absolutely ruined these groups for me.

-ginger

EDIT: And that "Just Go" song is way too similar to "I Don't Care." Disappointing, because I genuinely liked that song. Ugh.

DOUBLE EDIT: And to the fans saying "oh, it is just like, 10 seconds that sound the same!", do you realize how silly you sound? If you were a professor at a university and you just "borrowed" 10 lines from someone else's thesis, you'd be totally disgraced and would lose your job. If you were a student who just "borrowed" 10 lines from a paper on the internet, you'd be kicked out. How is it so hard to understand that stealing is stealing, no matter how much or how little? If your idols are such "geniuses", then I'm sure they can come up with an original 10 seconds of their own.

i don't get it - what has g-dragon accomplished?

and does it really even amount to that much?

i don't really get what he's done that is so amazing.

as a bystander, he's just another k-pop artist entertainer. not that revolutionary, imo.

DOUBLE EDIT: And to the fans saying "oh, it is just like, 10 seconds that sound the same!", do you realize how silly you sound? If you were a professor at a university and you just "borrowed" 10 lines from someone else's thesis, you'd be totally disgraced and would lose your job. If you were a student who just "borrowed" 10 lines from a paper on the internet, you'd be kicked out. How is it so hard to understand that stealing is stealing, no matter how much or how little? If your idols are such "geniuses", then I'm sure they can come up with an original 10 seconds of their own.

Sorry for cutting your post but I totally agree.

10 seconds or 3 minutes its still plagiarizing.

it's always late for decisions such as this... that it makes it no sense anymore..

well, it takes a lot of time deciding.... and by the time they do make the decision, the artist/s have already probably ended their promotion or at the endof their promotion... so it still doesn't affect the artist/s tha much anymore...

Guest damifino

=/ isnt it a little too late? GD have alr won enough awards for HB and 2ne1 have alr stopped promotions for IDC.

Mutizen and K-chart awards aren't the end all be all. Depending on how severe a penalty is put on the songwriter in question if they are found to have plagiarized, they might lose most of the profits from any album sales and you can probably kiss the end of the year awards goodbye. I recall Michael Bolton had to pay 66% of all past and future earnings from the single and 28% of all past and future earnings from the album which amounted to $5.4 million to the Isley Brothers for "using a portion" of their song even though the songs didn't sound alike at all except the genre and title of the song which was a common song title "Love is a wonderful thing." I don't know the monetary award since it was settled out of court, but Ray Parker Junior settled a plagiarism suit from Huey Lewis and the News for "Ghostbusters" being a copy of "I want a new drug."

People seem to be under the false notion that the songs have to sound identical from beginning to end to be considered plagiarism, but that's not the case at all. All it takes is an excerpt of similarity (not even being identical). Take a look at some of the cases on copyright infringement that has been lost... some of it with much less similarity than YG songs.

http://cip.law.ucla.edu/song.html

GD has my full support and as for him being not creative - can anyone in here name an idol that comes close to GD and what he had accomplish so far?

You are right, I don't know of any other idol who would be so audacious as to continually and blatantly plagiarize other people's songs and claim that they are original. GD sure has it up on them <_<

man i'm going to sound so hypocritical as i say this

i use to hate on wilber pan for ripping off kpop

but now this..type of stuff happens

i would never claim that kpop is "original" but mini cooper like this srsly

is it so hard to buy the damn copyright?

music ..after all is just..and still music

if they straight up said..yeah we used this and this and we borrowed and bought this and this to make

IDC heartbreaker etc. THE SONGS WOULD STILL BE THE SAME

i would still listen to them and enjoy them

gawd. x_x then there wouldn't be all this legal crap, fans wouldn't be disappointed

and ugh.

Guest hyeminnie

wooooooow.

we have lots of haters here. but okay HB and RR do sound similar.

haters how? because we agree that GD plagiarized? :huh:

i was actually about to write the same thing. yes, plagiarism is still plagiarism.

Guest leongfun

Don't forget, G. Dragon's song The Leader sounds like Ying Yang Twins - Wait (The Whisper Song) .

and YG may be successful, but they're successful because they're so... "American"-inspired, and that's what's going to get them in trouble.

(Also he's lucky the music industry isn't the same as the fashion industry, because if it was I think Lady GaGa would be suing him too. :lol:)

wooooooow.

we have lots of haters here. but okay HB and RR do sound similar.

Why? Because we don't agree with plagiarizing?

ALOT of Soompi members are big fans of G Dragon, but when it comes to plagiarizing, it doesn't matter how successful the artist is or who it is, so stop trying to make it seem like G Dragon has lots of haters.

Its funny how the author is calling them the HOLY TRINITY for JYP, YG and SM

Plagiarism is not something new for GD. Even when Heartbreaker was yet to release there were news of it.

Seriously, whats up with Kpop nowadays. All the negative news. None of them worth clapping around about

Guest catalima

I agree with that. Plagiarism stay plagiarism. I have to say I'm disapointed to GD and the rest of YG.

I think Kpop should stick to its style ( i dont know if i make sense) because if i want to hear americain music (that i love) i would just go and listen to justin timberlake, akon, britney spears etc......

i loved Kpop because i thought its original but with all the plagiarism thingy and even the songs that its copyright was bought = all of this makes me think that kpop is not original anymore and is in a total mess at the moment.

whats the point of being fan of korean song and claiming that kpop is original when there is the exact same song/melody in another americain song

and im talking about kpop in general not GD or YG

^ I know what you mean. I got my americanized friend into a kpop song and he was addicted to it. I asked why it was so good and he replied "Kpop is like a whole new genre! :o"

and then I asked his opinion about Heartbreaker. He said it was lame. o-o

i don't get it - what has g-dragon accomplished?

and does it really even amount to that much?

i don't really get what he's done that is so amazing.

as a bystander, he's just another k-pop artist entertainer. not that revolutionary, imo.

I know right? GD, is not in any way, genius to me at all.

And I'll never get why people keep claiming so. :huh:

the first thing I said when I heard GD's Heartbreaker is "it sounds exactly like right round"

knew this was comin' .... I hope they stop doing this. come up with something original!!

Most of Hip-Hop and Rap songs in USA uses samples of other songs to create their own song. Sometimes the sample is made by remixing the melody of a song by changing the pitch, speed and style (from ballad to dance style for example) or by mixing a part of a song with a part of other songs. It's common in Hip Hop and Rap music to do that.

YG Entertainment - mostly a Hip-Hop/Rap Ent company - seems to do the same thing when producing and creating some of their Hip-Hop/Rap/Dance songs. I've noticed some YG ent songs have samples from other songs and the melody seem to be a combination of the melody of more than 1 non-korean songs. As a fan of YG Family, it bothers me that sometimes they do that because I'm sure they would be able to create and produce a good melody by themselves without having to use a non-korean song as a base.

The question is:

Does YG Ent has the permission of the original composer to sample, remix and use some of these non-korea songs? If yes, it's legally sampling and ppl can't be accusing YG Ent of plagiarism. But if no, YG will have some problems. :/

So I was going to come in and say all that shiz that ginger has already said re: plagiarism. All I can say is that plagiarism is plagiarism. 'Butterfly' was what killed me - I like Oasis and hearing 'Butterfly' for the first was like "whatwhat is this the electro version of She's Electric??"

It's a little known fact that Oasis were sued a few 10s of million dollars because they "borrowed" 4 seconds and 6 words of a lyric from a Neil Innes song - see here for a freakin' awesome sum-up of YG/GD's tendency to borrow and not credit: http://www.soompi.com/content/70134/

To reiterate:

plagiarism is:

* to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own

* to use (another's production) without crediting the source

* to commit literary theft

* to present an idea or product derived from an existing source as new and original

In other words, plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward.

Source; plagiarism.org & Merriam-Webster dictionary

Apply, recite, repeat.

If the majority of Soompiers are so anal about crediting their sources, why do some let their idols get away without doing so?

This is really sad.. I've never really been a die-hard fan of GD's but I really enjoyed his song but after reading through this I don't know how to react but the thing that makes this even sadder is that I'm not surprised which doesn't give much credibility to the artists.. To be honest whats done has been done but I hope that in the future if your going to "copy" another persons song at least get the rights to it or simply try and be original.. I mean it can't be that hard or could it be ??

Guest angelixers

Most of Hip-Hop and Rap songs in USA uses samples of other songs to create their own song. Sometimes the sample is made by remixing the melody of a song by changing the pitch, speed and style (from ballad to dance style for example) or by mixing a part of a song with a part of other songs. It's common in Hip Hop and Rap music to do that.

Yep. Hip hop artists in america get sued here and there as well for not asking permission or not buying the rights to sample. Lil Wayne, Fugees, Kanye, Bone Thugs, Common, Swizz, Method Man, Timbaland, Run DMC have all been warned or sued at one point.

Archived