Taeyeon (snsd) Failure At Seoul Drama Awards 2009

Guest spuddevaughn

Of course I'm responding properly... you're still making no sense. How does not being able to relate to the "crashing" emotions of singing live have to do with a good critique? Most music critics have never been singers, and also, having "empathy" with who you're critiquing does not mean they sugarcoat everything. The music industry is actually pretty harsh. Being a singer and having knowledge of music are two entirely different things.

I never said 'crashing emotions of singing live', it was an analogy. And actually pretty much all major music critics have been well versed in their respective careers in the past. They don't sugarcoat everything, but they know what they're talking about and can provide better criticism instead of 'that was horrible because of [completely wrong reasons]'. Being a singer usually means you're well into the foundations of music and can understand how difficult something can be because you've tried it before. Thus the empathy I was talking about.

I'm not disagreeing that the performance was off. It just irks me when people bash on someone when they don't know what was going on at the time. Similar to what happened to Jaebeom. People think that just because she had an off performance that she's a mediocre singer and that this is a total blow to her career or something.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest colloquy

I never said 'crashing emotions of singing live', it was an analogy. And actually pretty much all major music critics have been well versed in their respective careers in the past. They don't sugarcoat everything, but they know what they're talking about and can provide better criticism instead of 'that was horrible because of [completely wrong reasons]'. Being a singer usually means you're well into the foundations of music and can understand how difficult something can be because you've tried it before. Thus the empathy I was talking about.

I'm not disagreeing that the performance was off. It just irks me when people bash on someone when they don't know what was going on at the time. Similar to what happened to Jaebeom. People think that just because she had an off performance that she's a mediocre singer and that this is a total blow to her career or something.

Still the point remains - what does knowing that singing is difficult have to do with it at all? Most people already know this, and nobody said the contrary. And I believe nobody here has been parading themselves around as a professional music critic, just as the casual observer. If you believe they're wrong, I think it's better if you try correcting their comments instead of just saying that they're stupid.

Still the point remains - what does knowing that singing is difficult have to do with it at all? Most people already know this, and nobody said the contrary. And I believe nobody here has been parading themselves around as a professional music critic, just as the casual observer. If you believe they're wrong, I think it's better if you try correcting their comments instead of just saying that they're stupid.

I believe someone has already done such a thing and I quoted his post last page, but nobody really paid attention to it. Thus I'll quote it once more. Here's what a proper critique should look like.

The song is in a key meant for male singers.

If it were Mika Nakashima's version, it would be too high/too low for PHS, but fine for most female singers.

That's why TaeYeon sounded strained in the beginning - those notes happened to be the point between her chest and head voice, and instead of sticking to one, she tried to blend them together, causing it to sound strained.

She can't sing an octave lower, either - in a male/female duet, generally, it doesn't sound good if both singers sing high or both low. On top of that, it'd be too low for her, I think.

The harmonies were the biggest failure IMO. Harmonies are meant to enhance the melody, but TaeYeon's harmonising was much too loud. Snow Flower isn't a power ballad; she should've sung the harmony in a softer voice.

Notice how the song improved considerably near the end when PHS took over the harmonies. He sung them in a soft voice, so it didn't overpower the main melody.

/endmusicrant

Both are good singers - the solos were great, but the duet... wasn't very good. The match wasn't well made, either. I think, given more time to prepare, they would've done a lot better.

If you don't really understand what you're saying in the first place, there's no reason for you to say it. Casual observers shouldn't be trying to critique, as they end up confusing readers and themselves.

How many times has Taeyeon not given a good performance? Not that many. Just because this perf wasn't exactly great, doesn't mean she's a bad singer. There are countless performances she's done that have surpassed my expectations.

and SHE CAN HARMONIZE!

Lee Juk + Taeyeon - A Goose's Dream

JOO + Taeyeon - If + Because of a Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmlL4AHgM5Q

Guest colloquy

I believe someone has already done such a thing and I quoted his post last page, but nobody really paid attention to it. Thus I'll quote it once more. Here's what a proper critique should look like.

If you don't really understand what you're saying in the first place, there's no reason for you to say it. Casual observers shouldn't be trying to critique, as they end up confusing readers and themselves.

That's cool, but I don't think you should be calling them stupid even if they try to critique. That just seems rather pretentious, tbh.

Here's my view on this, coming from a person that's neither a fan of

SNSD or an anti-fan--

Taeyeon does seem lacking in the vocal department when she is singing

these songs. Not everyone is fit to sing Park Hyoshin's music, but she

does not sound all together "horrible" as many of you have pointed out.

Yes, she DID have alot of notes where she messed up and went off-key,

that is definitely something you cannot avoid admiting

after listening to the performances.

Her voice does not suit with Park Hyoshin's at ALL. Their voices are SO

different in many aspects. I've been a huge fan of Park Hyoshin since

his debut and I know for sure that his songs are not fit to those who have

voices like Taeyeon. Taeyeon has a high-pitched voice so I just think whoever

chose Taeyeon as his counterpart made a bad decision. The girl isn't a

horrible singer, her tone of voice and the range of her vocals just does

not seem to be comparable to PHS's style. Their harmony overall was a huge

failure.

Still, I dont think that makes her a 'bad' singer. I've listen to her duets

with others before and she was fine, and at times wonderful. I think it

really all depends down to who you are singing with and the type of music

that is being sung.

Guest Lishathestain

i really don't understand why people are having a fight over the topic title?

but i guess this is why it's called a forum.

lol yes. it's all srs bsns around here :)

Guest jenny____x

omg. seriously?

i like taeyeon, and believe shes a good singer, but this is by far her worst performance.

she sounds horrible.

harmonizing was so weird.

and standing next to park hyo shin isnt helping her either.

Guest zahieyjunki

never know this could be such hot issue only for few minutes perf..

lol definitely disagree with the topic starter..

You don't have to make a thread just to say she's failure in this perf..

It's just they don't mixed well in this song..

they don't rehearsal this song imo~

but Taeyeon is definitely a good singer...

even phs also sound off key in this perf...

Wow!! Never thought I'd see Taeyeon off !!! I mean I love Taeyeon/SNSD but really, not tryna jump on the boat here.. even the best singers messes up sometime...

However.........I think you should change your title? Being able to perform with PHS is a success in itself, I would say.

The song is in a key meant for male singers.

If it were Mika Nakashima's version, it would be too high/too low for PHS, but fine for most female singers.

That's why TaeYeon sounded strained in the beginning - those notes happened to be the point between her chest and head voice, and instead of sticking to one, she tried to blend them together, causing it to sound strained.

She can't sing an octave lower, either - in a male/female duet, generally, it doesn't sound good if both singers sing high or both low. On top of that, it'd be too low for her, I think.

The harmonies were the biggest failure IMO. Harmonies are meant to enhance the melody, but TaeYeon's harmonising was much too loud. Snow Flower isn't a power ballad; she should've sung the harmony in a softer voice.

Notice how the song improved considerably near the end when PHS took over the harmonies. He sung them in a soft voice, so it didn't overpower the main melody.

/endmusicrant

Both are good singers - the solos were great, but the duet... wasn't very good. The match wasn't well made, either. I think, given more time to prepare, they would've done a lot better.

Completely agree with you.

Guest CriticalHit

That's still better than how a lot of people can sing lol. Whatever, her character isn't changed by this one performance. She tried. Maybe she wasn't feeling well, or something.

Guest Peppermint`Seed

It was a bad performance - I don't care how anyone cuts it.

It was a BAD performance. I don't have to be a professional singer - it sounded bad.

And to the replies of "can do you better".. I can't but I know for a fact there are plenty of other singers who can. So are we good?

LOL.

Bad performance? So what? Are you going to hunt down every single singer who gives a bad performance? If a singer messes up or just doesn't do well in ONE performance, then is the world going to end?

ARE WE GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE A THREAD TO BASH EVERY BAD PERFORMANCE?

And trust me, "plenty of other singers" have messed up in the past, so why are you so hung up on this one?

people who are defending her saying it was good... honestly?? it was bad and taeyon is supposedly the best singer in snsd... yes, singers have their bad days, but since this was a pretty big event, shouldn't she have practiced a lot prior to the perf?

I don't see anyone defending her saying it was good....why do people love to exaggerate? intriguing.

People are either agreeing that it was a bad performance or saying it wasn't THAT bad...but nobody said it was good. If there was one or 2 who said it was good, out of 13 pages, does that really count?

Guest Burberry

OMG who the hell cares... it wasn't even THAT bad. I watched the video thinking I was gonna see some kind of SNSD meltdown. She's done well in the past- maybe she had a bad day.

Jeez, people need to calm the hell down. (Do we really need another 2pm disaster?)

This thread should be closed. All I see is people arguing why this performance was or was not a "failure". I thought the picture thread was meant to show and display new pictures, not a place for pictures to accompany an opinion piece.

I don't care what anyone thinks about the performance here. All I know is all this arguing makes this thread the real fail.

Bad performance? So what? Are you going to hunt down every single singer who gives a bad performance? If a singer messes up or just doesn't do well in ONE performance, then is the world going to end?

ARE WE GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE A THREAD TO BASH EVERY BAD PERFORMANCE?

And trust me, "plenty of other singers" have messed up in the past, so why are you so hung up on this one?

I think you're the one overreacting. Calm down.

She did do badly in this performance, accept it and move on with your life?

Archived