Jang Dong Gun 장동건

Admin

Weinstein orders Promise cuts

Wu-Ji_1.jpg

Posted Dec 27th 2005 1:04PM by Karina Longworth

First it broke Chinese box office records; then, it was chopped up and disseminated on television by pirates. Now, Chen Kaige's The Promise has been shortened and retitled by its US distributor, The Weinstein Company. Here's how it breaks down: the 121 minute version, still called The Promise, will serve as China's official entry for the foreign-language Academy Award. Then there's Master of the Crimson Armor, which opens in New York and Los Angeles this Friday for a one-week awards qualifying run; this essentially the same film, except it's 24 minutes shorter and, it's been nominated for a Golden Globe. Harvey Weinstein, who earned himself the nickname Harvey Scissorhands back in the mid-90s for requiring his directors to make harsh, unwanted cuts, decided that in its original incarnation, The Promise was too slow to play in Peoria. "Harvey looked at the movie and conveyed certain concerns about how it would play with Western audiences," said Ernest "Etchie" Stroh, Armor's sales rep. "I had almost identical feelings and took these to Kaige."

Interestingly, Stroh says the cuts were performed by Kaige himself, and under the opposite of duress. "There is an explicit clause that says Chen Kaige has final cut. This is definitely his movie. Weinstein Co. came with problems and offered solutions." And Chen backs up that version of events. "Western audiences may not have the same patience as Asians. What we have now looks more of an action movie, but I think the soul of the movie is still there. Harvey sent people to help with things like the subtitles, and I participated all the way."

Source: http://www.cinematical.com/2005/12/27/wein...s-promise-cuts/

special thanks to Florence Adonis International for sharing

copy from jangdonggun-club

Interview quotes of JDG in his Taiwan interview

Quotes:

"我目前沒有女朋友, 在看過 '甜蜜蜜' 及 '花樣年華' 後,欣賞的是張曼玉那一型女人."

"Currently, I don't have a girlfriend. After I watched the movie 'Sweetness' and 'In the Mood For Love', I appreciate the type of woman like Maggie Cheung."

"網路上盛傳我和崔智友結婚, 誇張, 荒唐. 當時我人在國外, 母親打電話問我說, 你結婚連家裡都不知道, 想隱瞞嗎? 網路雖便利, 但虛實難辨."

"It was absurd and exaggerating that the wedding news of Choi Ji Woo and I spread on internet. At that time, I was filming abroad. My mother called me and said, 'We didn't even know that you got married. Did you try to hide the truth from us?' Although internet is convenient, it is hard to differentiate true news from false news.”

"這兩年, 我以半年拍 ‘無極’, 又花了10個月在俄羅斯與泰國拍 '颱風',沒時間交女友. '無極' 中昆侖奴的愛情觀是默默地愛, 太理想化, 現實中不可能不去佔有.”

"Within these two years, I spent a half year to film 'The Promise' and then spent 10 months shooting 'Typhoon' in Russia and Thailand. Thus, I don't have time to date a woman. In 'The Promise', my role slave Kuen Luen's philosophy of love is to love his beloved woman without explicitly expressing it. That is too idealized and I don't think that it is possible to love a woman without owning her."

"我20歲出頭時和別的男人一樣, 以為女友只要漂亮就好. 現在已33歲, 女友外表變得不再重要. 貴在是否心意相通? 可分享彼此興趣與話題? 是當我工作辛苦時, 能倚靠的女性."

"When I was around 20 years old, I would like my girlfriend to be good-looking. However, I am 33 years old now, the appearance of my future girlfriend is not that important any more. The important things are: Can she and I communicate spiritually? Do she and I have common interests and subjects of discussion? She should be the woman whom I could count on when I work very hard."

"在談戀愛時, 我對於對方的國籍與年齡均不設限; 但真要結婚, 要考慮到家長看法.”

"If I date a woman, I don't mind her nationality or age; However, I have to take into account the opinions of my family when I decide to marry her."

"大眼有優點與缺點, 演技好不好? 眼神會洩底. 我也不認為微笑迷人, 總覺得尷尬, 怪怪的, 自認魅力在於作品成長, 受到觀眾肯定.”

"Having big eyes has its advantages and disadvantes. The eye expressions reveal an actor's acting skill. I don’t consider that my smile is charming which always make me feel kind of embarrassed and weird. I believe that my charisma is from my works which are positively recognized by viewers."

"人氣及金錢對我而言, 反而是其次. Rain 是優秀的後進. 我們都在同一條演藝路上, 若他遇到困難, 身為前輩的我,理當伸援手.”

"To me, popularity and money is not that important. Rain (aka Bi) is an excellent new entertainer. Since both of us are in the same profession, as a senior, I definitely will help him if he encounters difficulty."

credits "Chaerim's paradise - English board" and Cindy of CR's Paradise- English Board

Guest ruffluv109

Yes dear... they are leather... must be very very expensive...

Dun know wat animal's leather????

i'm not an animal....but i swear that looks like my skin..... :huh:

ps: thanks also ruffluv for the tip about his unforgettable good looks in Myth of a Hero -- not to mention the "riding the harley davidson bike" scenes :rolleyes: -- makes me more eager to borrow my friend's copy... if only to view that scene... (hahaha!!! ... unlike you Jisung... i'd be willing to 'lose my peace of mind or sanity' (hehehe) just to see him ride the harley... harharhar... :lol:)

ILK dear, he's drop dead gorgeous there for sure, but don't put too much hope on the storyline....i know i like it, since i like a love story that have a lot of problems :P .....but i'd say it'll make a great jdg collector item...

KTF World-phone CF 051228_cf_b09.jpg

Credit to Dreamer at Jang-donggun.com

i LOVE this CF....his cheeky smile here is priceless.... :rolleyes:

Quotes:

"Currently, I don't have a girlfriend. After I watched the movie 'Sweetness' and 'In the Mood For Love', I appreciate the type of woman like Maggie Cheung."

he's been hinting quite a number of times lately that he admires maggie cheung's acting....is he trying to tell us something about his new project?? do you think he's gonna act with maggie cheung next???but i think she's too old for him, tho undoubtedly still as beautiful..

and i'm soooo glad we get all the old smilies back!!!!! that way i can :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: at you gals as often as i want.... :D :tongue2:

Anyone knows how many pix per comment we can post? :P

Elfwine dear, not sure about the latest format, but usually up to 10 pix per reply.... :)

i'm not an animal....but i swear that looks like my skin..... :huh:

4_1_72.gif4_1_72.gif

OMG.. hubbi wearing lather made by his wife's skin...

Horrible film going to be shooted.

hohohooo

Guest Elfwine

Elfwine...welcome to hubby's thread.... ;) ...i even remember your nick you used at the old soompi, eventho it's kinda hard to pronounce.... :P ...and i'm sure you can share with us a small part of his heart....dont worry, this man has a big heart...that's fer sure.... ;) ....and i LOVE your avie......hyung chul.....the reason i fell in love all over again... :rolleyes: .....and the chemistry between him and chae rim is undeniably the best i've ever seen in any drama/movie in the world.... :wub:

Hi ruffluv,

Thanx for remembering me n' my old alias(Rilodivoreth) :D I'm so happy to be in DG oppa's thread again. I totally agreed with this phrase "the chemistry between him and chae rim is undeniably the best i've ever seen in any drama/movie in the world". :)

Elfwine dear, not sure about the latest format, but usually up to 10 pix per reply.... :)

Thanks, ruff

Well to be honest elfwine, all parts of him are taken, especially that part! Hey, hey what were u thinking? I meant his heart, of coiurse!

And please feel free to post any pics of dong gun here! As inez, the premiere sunbae has said, all pics are welcome!

Hey Jisung, you know what I was thinking? I want to take his both hands, you see? :D

Guest The Moose

* 무극 *

The Promise (2006)

Director: 첸 카이거 Chen Kaige

Casts: 장 동건(쿤룬) Jang Dong Gun, 장 백지(경성) Cecilia Cheung, 사나다 히로유키(쿠앙민) Hiroyuki Sanada

Genre: 로맨스 Romance, 액션 Action, 판타지 Fantasy

Synopsis:

전쟁의 소용돌이가 휘몰아치는 시간을 알 수 없는 미지의 대륙을 바탕으로 초인적인 능력을 지닌 노예 쿤룬과 절대 미(美)를 얻은 대신 진실한 사랑을 할 수 없는 왕의 여자 경성, 그리고 패배를 모르는 승리의 장군 쿠앙민 사이의 엇갈린 사랑과 운명을 그린 판타지 서사 액션 대작. 무극이란 모든 사람들이 평생 지고 가야 하는, 거역할 수 없는 운명의 지도를 뜻한다.

It's war time at the mysterious continent during an unknown period. Based on this notion, Kunrun, who has superhuman abilities, Gyungsung, who defines beauty but isn't able to share a true love, and Kuanming, a general who has never lost a battle, are placed in a fantasy movie that draws love and destiny. Mugeuk means a map of destiny that everyone has to carry during their lifetime.

Posters:

M0010007_thepromise_teaser_p1[W500-].jpg

M0010008_thepromise_teaser_p2[W500-].jpg

M0010009_thepromise_teaser_p3[W500-].jpg

Still-cut:

M0020007_thepromise_main_1[W500-].jpg

M0020008_thepromise_main_2[W500-].jpg

M0020009_thepromise_main_3[W500-].jpg

M0020035_thepromise_3[W500-].jpg

M0020010_thepromise_main_4[W500-].jpg

M0020011_thepromise_main_5[W500-].jpg

M0020172_thepromise_2[W500-].jpg

Guest ruffluv109

4_1_72.gif4_1_72.gif

OMG.. hubbi wearing lather made by his wife's skin...

Horrible film going to be shooted.

hohohooo

yup....sometime i wear his skin and sometimes he wears my skin...that's how we keep our love for each other strong.... :rolleyes:

Hi ruffluv,

Thanx for remembering me n' my old alias(Rilodivoreth) :D I'm so happy to be in DG oppa's thread again. I totally agreed with this phrase "the chemistry between him and chae rim is undeniably the best i've ever seen in any drama/movie in the world". :)

Thanks, ruff

Yup...Rilodivoreth.... :) ...eventho i kept pronouncing it as Rivodiloreth... :blink: .....and yeah, just thinking about the chemistry between these two will give my heart a warm and fuzzy feelings.....quoted with the sweetness of lurrrrrve..... :rolleyes:

The Moose.....welcome to my hubby's thread...and thanks fer those pix.... ;)

Guest ellabel

Quotes:

"It was absurd and exaggerating that the wedding news of Choi Ji Woo and I spread on internet. At that time, I was filming abroad. My mother called me and said, 'We didn't even know that you got married. Did you try to hide the truth from us?' Although internet is convenient, it is hard to differentiate true news from false news.”

"這兩年, 我以半年拍 ‘無極’, 又花了10個月在俄羅斯與泰國拍 '颱風',沒時間交女友. '無極' 中昆侖奴的愛情觀是默默地愛, 太理想化, 現實中不可能不去佔有.”

"Within these two years, I spent a half year to film 'The Promise' and then spent 10 months shooting 'Typhoon' in Russia and Thailand. Thus, I don't have time to date a woman. In 'The Promise', my role slave Kuen Luen's philosophy of love is to love his beloved woman without explicitly expressing it. That is too idealized and I don't think that it is possible to love a woman without owning her."

"我20歲出頭時和別的男人一樣, 以為女友只要漂亮就好. 現在已33歲, 女友外表變得不再重要. 貴在是否心意相通? 可分享彼此興趣與話題? 是當我工作辛苦時, 能倚靠的女性."

"When I was around 20 years old, I would like my girlfriend to be good-looking. However, I am 33 years old now, the appearance of my future girlfriend is not that important any more. The important things are: Can she and I communicate spiritually? Do she and I have common interests and subjects of discussion? She should be the woman whom I could count on when I work very hard."

"在談戀愛時, 我對於對方的國籍與年齡均不設限; 但真要結婚, 要考慮到家長看法.”

"If I date a woman, I don't mind her nationality or age; However, I have to take into account the opinions of my family when I decide to marry her."

"大眼有優點與缺點, 演技好不好? 眼神會洩底. 我也不認為微笑迷人, 總覺得尷尬, 怪怪的, 自認魅力在於作品成長, 受到觀眾肯定.”

"Having big eyes has its advantages and disadvantes. The eye expressions reveal an actor's acting skill. I don’t consider that my smile is charming which always make me feel kind of embarrassed and weird. I believe that my charisma is from my works which are positively recognized by viewers."

"人氣及金錢對我而言, 反而是其次. Rain 是優秀的後進. 我們都在同一條演藝路上, 若他遇到困難, 身為前輩的我,理當伸援手.”

"To me, popularity and money is not that important. Rain (aka Bi) is an excellent new entertainer. Since both of us are in the same profession, as a senior, I definitely will help him if he encounters difficulty."

credits "Chaerim's paradise - English board" and Cindy of CR's Paradise- English Board

JDG is a very sensible and witty interviewee. I like how he answers the questions.

I love most his answer on his future girlfriend. He obviously is a matured and responsible person. But, it's also apparent that like most Koreans, the opinion and preference of his family will matter.

Thanks The Moose for The Promise posters. They really are spectacular. I hope the movie wins in the Oscar's and Golden Globe's Foreign movie category.

Guest Elfwine

Yup...Rilodivoreth.... :) ...eventho i kept pronouncing it as Rivodiloreth... :blink: .....and yeah, just thinking about the chemistry between these two will give my heart a warm and fuzzy feelings.....quoted with the sweetness of lurrrrrve..... :rolleyes:

The Moose.....welcome to my hubby's thread...and thanks fer those pix.... ;)

Hehehe, that's ok, ruff. sometimes I did wrong spelling too.

The chemistry between HC & SM makes my smile everytime I thought about it, you know :)

Hi Moose, nice to meet you :D

OMG!!..thanks The Moose..looks like we're watching the movie again which apparently me, Azura n Audrey are going to watch again tomorrow..teehee..and we just can't get enuff of Kunlun..daymn !! we want to see the scene she sucks his lips..*screams*..

051228_cf_b04.jpg

Credit to Dreamer at Jang-donggun.com

If u gals cudn't view them.. tell me.. i will resize.. :):)

Aah..dreamy...what else would a girl want?...to be with Jang Dong Gun in romantic Venice... :rolleyes:

JDG is a very sensible and witty interviewee. I like how he answers the questions.

I love most his answer on his future girlfriend. He obviously is a matured and responsible person. But, it's also apparent that like most Koreans, the opinion and preference of his family will matter.

Speaking my mind again Ella!!!!!..marry a Korean guy n we marry his family too.. :wacko:

Aah..dreamy...what else would a girl want?...to be with Jang Dong Gun in romantic Venice... :rolleyes:

Speaking my mind again Ella!!!!!..marry a Korean guy n we marry his family too.. :wacko:

Remember he has a younger bro...

Dun worry ... if i cudn't marry him i wud marry his bro.. to be his sister-in-LOVE... :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Remember he has a younger bro...

Dun worry ... if i cudn't marry him i wud marry his bro.. to be his sister-in-LOVE... :w00t::w00t::w00t:

yeah..and the younger Jang is a happily married man now..that leaves the elder much sought after brother..heard the title of Mrs Jang Dong Gun is filled up all ..spilling ..from all over the world..even from The Land Of Snow... :P

yeah..and the younger Jang is a happily married man now..that leaves the elder much sought after brother..heard the title of Mrs Jang Dong Gun is filled up all ..spilling ..from all over the world..even from The Land Of Snow... :P

Yeap.. u r Inez Jang Dong Gun... me m Cocubine Jang ***? (anybody here knows his bro 's name?) :o