Jyp's Wonder Girls (원더걸스) Official Thread 2

Guest `starry.night

Just read the Chinese version of the JoongAng Ilbo article about Kpop's international appeal.

Like TV Daily/Korea Star Daily, JoongAng Ilbo also publishes its articles in multiple languages (even in English).

Good news, WFs. It says:

Wonder Girls to release an EP album in March!  

Haha, I called it.

Not LP album, although the article mentioned possibly 6-7 songs. (The 2DT EP had 9 songs with all the different versions & remixes.)

Michael Jackson's producer Rodney Jerkins aka Darkchild is involved in the project.

Translating now...

• Replies 39.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ i want a LP album.. -_- well better than nothing.

if all the songs are new songs then i'm okay ^_^

------------------

Wonder Girls volunteered and donated for 2 years in secret

It has been revealed that the Wonder Girls have been volunteering to help others in secret for nearly two years now. According to their agency, JYP Entertainment, the girls have been constantly volunteering at the Kwangju orphanage for infants the past two years.

Not only that, Ye Eun has donated 10 million won to help children with deformities and have been a great role model for others.

The agency added that it's not known to others about Wonder Girls' volunteer work. Despite their busy schedule, they have made time to visit medical centers and secretly donate to charities. They added, "All the members have warm hearts. They didn't want others to know because they didn't want the meaning of their work to be undermined."

The Wonder Girls are currently working on a new English song. JYP has also revealed that the best writers have been working on the Wonder Girls's new album. Wonderfuls can look forward to a new Wonder Girls material coming soon!

Source: Star News

cr. Koreaboo

Guest wonderr23

^

Your contradiction is right! Another EP!!haha I don't know about you guys but the moment i saw qoxie's tweet i was like in heaven or something. XD I can't wait!!! WAHHH!!!

Here is the WG excerpt full translation. I know you guys can't wait.

Will translate the other portions later. Done.

chinesejoinscombig5arti.jpg

Source: http://chinese.joins...il&art_id=58797

Hallyu's popularity as seen through Kpop's Youtube viewership

JoongAng Ilbo Chinese 2011-01-17 10:15

Zheng Kangxian reporter

Scene #1.

January 7, 10 pm. Paris Las Vegas Hotel in Nevada. Korean girlgroup WONDERGIRLS went onstage & there was instantaneous pandemonium in the 3,000-plus audience. On that occasion, WONDERGIRLS was opening for the legendary band Earth Wind & Fire's 40th Anniversary show. Stevie Wonder (aged 61) & other top American singers also participated in the mega concert.

WONDERGIRLS performed 'Nobody', 'Tell Me' in English. As they sang & danced, some spectators gathered at the front of the stage. During 'Nobody', others also stood up from their seats to sing & dance along to the song.

The show's organizer was audio & video cable manufacturer was Monster Cable. Their CEO Noel Lee went onstage & praised: "WONDERGIRLS is Asian pop culture's most outstanding & trailblazing group."

Scene #2.

December 26 last year. Kpop boyband BIGBANG's G-Dragon met a special fan -- Savannah Daniel (age 20) who had impulsively flew over to Korea. Savannah is from Long Beach, California. She became a Kpop fan 3 years ago, won over by "music rhythms & dances that are more powerful than American pop."

Since then, Savannah's MP3 collection is filled with Kpop. They have supplanted American pop music. Singing along to Korean songs with the help of English intonations has become part of her everyday life.

- How did you know about Kpop?

"Korean friends who were international students introduced me to it."

- Difference between American pop music & Kpop?

"Kpop is more exciting than American pop. I hardly listen to American songs anymore, only Kpop now." Purportedly, Savannah was always blabbering about how "meeting G-Dragon is my life goal." To realize this goal, she impulsively flew to Korea during winter vacation. Her situation was eventually conveyed to G-Dragon's company YG Entertainment (Yang Hyeon Seok's). She got to meet G-Dragon at last during rehearsals for a TV show. A YG Entertainment rep said: "Just like how Korean fans were enamored with Western pop stars in the past, more & more American fans are starting to follow Kpop artistes."

Kpop is spreading a new Korean Wave to the home of popular music: America. Previously focusing on Asian markets, the Hallyu trend has extended its influence to North America & Europe. It is all part of Hallyu's growth, in both quality & quantity. In expeditiously absorbing hip hop, R&B, body-popping & other Anglo-American music forms, Kpop infused these styles with a unique Asian flavor for the global music markets.

"229 countries around the world, over 800 million views"

In reality, the new Kpop-led Hallyu trend has already branched out into Asia. This is our newspaper's groundbreaking analysis of the 2010 global Youtube viewership for 923 videos by Kpop artistes (those under SM entertainment, YG Entertainment & JYP Entertainment).

Our results reveal that netizens from 229 countries watched the Kpop videos over 793,570,000 times in the past year. Top rankings by continent: Asia (over 566,270,000 views), North America (over 123,470,000), Europe (over 55,370,000).

In particular, the significant growth in America caught the eye. In terms of viewership, Asia still owns the largest share. But when broken down by country, the USA (over 94,870,000) ranks 3rd behind Japan (over 113,540,000) & Thailand (over 99,510,000). America is thus becoming Hallyu's [next] major export market. For the middle-aged generation who had listened to Sixties- & Seventies-era American pop music, this represents an immense change.

Music fans in various countries have also become more diversified. Egypt (over 630,000), Kuwait (over 414,000) & other Middle East countries are among those with over 300,000 views last year. Many unfamiliar places like Montenegro (22,000), New Caledonia (14,000) & Guadeloupe (10,000) are also listed. Even Internet-blocking North Korea (224 views) made the list, which is a talking point. This is a "blessed convergence" of global online inter-connectivity & Korean pop-culture content.

Google Korea rep Lee Won Jin (also Managing Director of Asian Operations) commented: "Kpop videos were watched over 800 million times in over 200 countries. This is proof of Korean pop-culture content producing results in global markets."

New Hallyu trend in France too

As Kpop proves its global potential, the world's biggest music market in America is paying attention to Korean singers as well. WONDERGIRLS reaching #76 on the 2009 Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart is the most representative feat.

After becoming Korea's first singer to hit the Billboard main chart, WONDERGIRLS is slated to release an EP album (Extended Play, an intermediate format between mini- & full-length albums, typically containing 6-7 songs) in America this March. Notably, Michael Jackson's producer Rodney Jerkins & other renowned producers are personally involved in the making of this album.

Formed by ex-TVXQ members, the boyband trio JYJ is also releasing a US album next month. They are the 1st Kpop artiste to work with a top 3 global record label in Warner Music, who is in charge of their American album production & distribution. Famous hip hop musician-producer Kanye West assisted in producing JYJ's album, & even became the featured star in online articles.

Europe is also increasingly interested in Korean pop culture. Even in traditional & culturally-conscious France, their state-run France2 TV station recently featured the Hallyu trend on their 'Eye On The World' show: "A decade ago, Korean pop culture became the rage in Asian hubs. This phenomenon became known as the 'Hallyu' Korean wave." The program also cited how SNSD, BoA, SHINee & other Kpop idols established themselves in Asian music markets.

Pop-music critic Song Key Chul(?) said: "Korean pop music is comparable to American pop. At the core, it has a music structure," "Along with this music structure, the singers who have a solid foundation will make a great impact in the global music markets."

Refer to the Youtube viewership chart in the Korean article (a few posts back) for visual illustration.

NB. This post will be re-edited later to include the rest of the non-WG  translations. Done.

- - - - - - - - - - -

V

According to Baidu feedback (they do their own direct translations from Korean reports): Yeeun donated 10 mil won in 2008, Sunye 10 mil won in 2009, Yoobin (unmentioned figure) also in 2009. But WG had also requested for anonymity.

Guest Bubbly_Millionheiress

^^^ I thought it was Sun Ye who donated the 10 million won to the child with the deformities? :huh:

anyways I'm SOOO excited that Wonder Girls are going to release an EP in March!! :D it's been a long time since we got 2DT. now I can't wait for this EP! hopefully the songs will be better than 2DT. I mean I loved 2DT but honestly it wasn't a 'So Hot' or 'Nobody'. :P

Guest wonderr23

^

i think Yubin donated 10 million won to her school? Wondergirls are so kind-hearted! I'm so proud to call these girls my idols.

Guest Bubbly_Millionheiress

^

i think Yubin donated 10 million won to her school? Wondergirls are so kind-hearted! I'm so proud to call these girls my idols.

yeah she did! Yu Bin donating 10 million won to her school, Sun Ye donating 10 million won to the child with deformities & helping the old man up in the mountains, the girls visiting charities to do secret volunteer work, the list goes on.

Wonder Girls are definitely good role models. they are the kind of young ladies that all girls should look up too. I also like how these girls do good deeds without publicising them. they don't do it for the sake of publicity but because they really want to help the less fortunate. JYP made such a good decision picking these girls to be a group. they are such amazing human beings! <3

Qoxie you were right it seems :lol:

I'm really happy we will get new music.

However I can't help but feel uneasy at the fact that they will be releasing this in March. I mean two of America's biggest celebrities (Britney and Gaga) Will also be releasing albums in March.

I feel like they Will be completely overshadowed by the hype from those two.

JMO

Guest wonderr23

Aigoo..i had major headache just trying to put together ppA's translation.haha Here is her english translation. Pardon if there's any error.

----

“원더걸스 본게임은 지금부터 … 동양적 매력이 미국서 통했다”

[중앙일보] 입력 2011.01.16 19:49 / 수정 2011.01.17 00:56

[K-POP 인베이전] ① 이제 아시아 무대는 좁다

htm20110117005551c000c0.jpg

미 국 뉴욕 맨하튼 이스트(East) 31번가 110번지. 이태 전 JYP엔터테인먼트의 미국 사무실이 자리를 잡은 곳이다. 이곳에서 원더걸스의 미국 진출 전략이 수립됐고, 미국 시장을 공략하기 위한 곡과 안무가 다듬어졌다. 3층으로 이뤄진 JYP의 뉴욕 사무실에는 연습실·녹음실 등이 갖춰져 있고, 10여명의 직원이 일하고 있다. 원더걸스가 2009년 빌보드 싱글차트 76위에 오르면서 이곳은 더 분주해졌다. 직접 사무실로 찾아오는 미국 팬도 늘었다. 사무실 한 구석에는 미국 팬들이 원더걸스에게 건넨 선물이 쌓여있었다.

이우석(36·사진) JYP 부사장(미국 총괄)은 2003년부터 미국 진출을 준비해온 박진영 대표의 오랜 파트너다. 버클리 음대를 졸업한 이 부사장은 원더걸스의 ‘노바디’를 작곡·프로듀싱 했고, ‘텔미’를 편곡한 뮤지션이기도 하다. 그는 요즘 뉴욕과 LA를 오가며 원더걸스의 새 앨범 준비에 집중하고 있다. 원더걸스가 미국에 데뷔한지 1년 7개월. 그간 빌보드 싱글차트 76위에 오르는 등 성과도 작지 않았다. 하지만 그는 “지금까지는 연습게임에 불과했다. 원더걸스의 본격적인 미국 무대는 올해 시작될 것”이라고 말했다.

- 미국에서 원더걸스가 성과를 낸 가장 큰 원동력은.

“미국 스타일을 따라 하지 않았기 때문이다. 동양인이 아무리 흉내 내도 미국 가수와 똑같아질 수가 없다. 원더걸스만의 동양적인 매력을 강조하기 위해 영어 악센트도 너무 미국인처럼 들리지 않게 하려고 애썼다.”

- 가장 큰 장벽이 있었다면.

“아무래도 언어다. 언어는 단순한 말이 아니라 문화이기 때문에 익히는 데 시간이 걸린다. 원더걸스의 경우 라이프스타일을 몸에 익히기 위해 영어 회화와 별도로 연기 수업을 받기도 했다.”

- 어느 정도 궤도에 올라섰다고 자평하나.

“아직까지 연습게임을 치렀다고 생각한다. 본 게임은 원더걸스의 EP앨범이 나오는 3~4월쯤 시작된다. 이전엔 한 곡짜리 싱글 앨범밖에 없었으니까. 6~7곡이 담기는 이번 앨범엔 로드니 저킨스·클라우드 켈리 등 미국의 유명 뮤지션들이 작곡으로 참여한다.”

- 미국에서 7년간 활동하면서 가장 많이 달라진 점은.

“한국 가수들에 대한 시선이다. 맨 처음 도전할 땐 웬만한 음반사에선 문도 잘 안 열어줬다. 하지만 요즘은 먼저 연락을 해오는 경우가 많다. 원더걸스의 EP 앨범도 3대 메이저 음반사 가운데 한 곳에서 발매될 것이다.”

- 미국이 K-POP에 주목하는 까닭은.

“미국 음반시장이 포화 상태에 이르면서 아시아 시장으로 눈을 돌리기 시작했다. 아시아 시장에서 단연 앞서가는 K-POP에 주목하는 건 당연한 일이다. 미국 음반사에서도 한국에서 음원이 뜰 경우 아시아 전체를 커버할 수 있다는 걸 알고 있다.”

- 유튜브 등 손쉽게 미국에 진출할 수 있는 길이 열렸는데.

“유튜브는 어디까지나 보조 수단이다. 현지에서 직접 네트워크를 형성하고 음반을 발매할 수 있어야 팬층도 넓어지고 안정적으로 활동할 수 있다.”

뉴욕=정강현 기자

Translations by ppA:

WonderGirls aunthentic activities from now on! US got good response from the Oriental charm

In New York, Manhattan East Avenue 110 Street. This is where JYP Entertainment's US office settled in 2 years ago. From here Wondergirls's overseas expansion strategy will be establish. To target U.S market, they refined their dance and song. Their 3 floor building office at JYP New York is made up of practice room and recording studio. More than 10 employees are working with them. The girls became busy since entering the US Billboard singles chart at number 76 in 2009. Also the amount of US fans visits them on their US headquarters.

Woo-Suk Lee, JYP Vice President of the company has been preapring to enter the US since 2003, he and Jinyoung Park are old partners with the young representative. VP Lee graduated from Berklee College of Music. He is notable for his participations on Wondergirls songs like Nobody, and Tell Me. These days, moving between NewYork and LA. He is now focusing on preparing Wondergirls new album. WonderGirls debuted in the US a year and 7 months ago. Climbing on top of Billboard singles chart, number 76 on billboard 100. However, he said, "Until now, the game was just practise. Wonder Girls will begin authentic US debut this year"

Q: Wondergirls in the United States was successful. Why?

A: Because US did not follow the style of music. Asians, however, they can mimic an American singer and can't be the same. WonderGirls have their own oriental charm to emphasize. Not Americanized.

Q: If there were biggest barriers?

A: Somehow language. Language is not just a word. Culture because it takes time to learn. In Wondergirls's case, they learn and adapt it as a lifestyle (ie english speaking and acting classes).

Q: Wondergirls new tracks will be assessed by some?

A: So far i think that we haven't played the game yet. Wondergirls EP album, had 3-4 songs. Before that they've only a single album(2DT). In this album, there will be 6-7 songs. Also, Rodney Jerkins, Claude Kelly famous U.S musicians/composer will be participating in this album.

Q: The most different thing that happened during the last 7 years? (In the US)

A: They are now curious about South Korean singers. At that time, i had difficulties engaging with record companies as they weren't really that welcoming of Asian artist. But it's slowly improving. WonderGirls EP album will be released by one of three major record labels here in the US.

Q: Reason why US is noticing KPOP?

A: US music market is saturated, while the Asian market is beginning to turn. They know that South Korea covers the whole Asian market.

Q: Nowadays you can easily be known in the US with Youtube.

A: Youtube is a mere adjunct. But with this we can use it as a connection to a wider audience.

---

Source: (중앙일보, ppA@DCWG)

Guest bammie92

wahhh!! this is so excited!! i really believe in JYP. the new album will be HUGE!! keep your finger cross wonderfuls. the girls are coming back with a bang! =))

^

^

wonderr23 -- Thanks & great work! The editor in me is itching to clean up your text copy, but never mind~ LOL

Now you know how laborious translation work can be! Luckily, I like the mental chores, keeps me alert & disciplined.

WonderGirls EP album will be released by one of three major record labels here in the US.

OMG! JYPE found a US distributor for WG at last!

IMO This was the single most difficult logistical obstacle in JYPE's & WG's American plans.

Networking with US musicians & producers wasn't going to be enough.

That was YG's failure with Se7en -- they couldn't find a new Stateside partner after their existing business contract expired.

Ditto Hikaru Utada, who needed to re-group after Island Records dropped her in the USA.

Still, I am thankful Jonas Group & Justice Stores are keeping faith with WG.

They could have easily moved on -- esp. after, let's face it, JYPE didn't hold up their end of the agreement by basically withdrawing WG from American activities since February (past 10 months & counting).

Logically, WG's new US record label has to be Universal Music. They had distributed the 2DT album in Taiwan, HK & Southeast Asia.

Sony Music & Warner Music are the others in the USA 'Big Three.' EMI Group is the 4th label in the global 'Big Four.'

Previously, I was envious at JYJ's ongoing USA plans: major record label (Warner Music), famous US producers (including Roger Jerkins), etc.

Now JYP reveals he has matched JYJ in stocking up WG's arsenal as well. Hahaha...

- - - - - - - - -

However  I  can't help but feel uneasy at the fact that they will be  releasing  this in March. I mean two of America's biggest celebrities  (Britney and  Gaga) Will also be releasing albums in March.

I feel like they Will be completely overshadowed by the hype from those two.

JMO

Let's wait for JYPE to officially confirm all these developments first.

But, no, WG won't be competing on Britney's, Lady Gaga's level for now. LOL

I need to let the news about the US record label sink in. But my instincts say the March EP album is aimed more at regaining their US foothold (before gunning for bigger things in the summer).

The 'Nobody' momentum is gone, & the Jobros tour was 2 summers ago.

2DT was also never officially released in the US, unless you count iTunes & the Justice Exclusive Version EP (which was cheaper than the Asian editions, but not a dollar a disc either).

Basically, WG must re-establish themselves from scratch, but is in a better position than in 2009: more experienced (esp. performing live), better networking, chart success, proven solo tour, higher recognition factor.

Yet I don't think Jonas Group has anything lined up for their own artistes in the near future, let alone allow WG to piggyback on them to win new fans (for now).

Also, the peak touring months Stateside are traditionally in the summer (June~August).

So if all goes well, I anticipate WG's big US advancement (bigger tours, a true US lead single, maybe a LP album) will occur during this latter period. Jonas Group should also be more active thereabouts.

Until then, I think the March EP album is aimed more at consolidating their US presence & connecting with the converted US fans again.

So if they tour, look for them to play to smaller venues again. But hopefully raise their profile a bit by fitting in more city-level promotions (ala with Chicago Tribune & Sunrise Hawaii News Now).

I also expect WG to make a Korea comeback for their EP album. Any US tour will probably be lined up immediately thereafter.

Not sure they will do Asian promotions. Their trips across this region last year were mostly money-linked: endorsements, tradeshows, showcases, guest performances, etc. Even the fanmeets in Taipei & Beijing were partly ceremonial "rewards" for good album sales.

- - - - - - -

Oh yeah. Lest I forget: I have edited my earlier post to include the full translation of the JoongAng Ilbo article.

Scroll back to read it.

Guest wonderr23

pardon for my errors!haha i was working all day and then i had to work on the article. :wacko: I can understand the hype that's been going on this thread. Since WG finally found a US distributor it's like hitting jackpot! XD Wonderfuls...this is it!! WonderGirls are going full force!! :lol:

Guest valentino_rossi46

Another photo when Sun Mi, Sun Ye and Ye Eun visited Heidi's new academy last month

226534708.jpg

credit StalkApple

Now I know the reason why JYPE push WGs back and back and back. It's not because they havent finished recording or havent choose the song that can beat Nobody, it's because they didnt find the famous distributor for the girls

Great news :), Our waiting time is valuable :)

With the confirm of distributor, the producer, I think the album will be released in March, they wont push back anymore :)

Thanks for the good news guys and kudos to wonderr23.

We (thanks to qoxie) all knew what was going to take place this year -- but it makes an incredible difference to read the statements of official sources.

So, 6-7 songs, at least 3 producers (4 if Dave Stewart is included), and a major recording company. This year is the real US debut the Wonder Girls and JYPE worked so hard and so much for.

And this is happening right after the musical scene has been primed by other Asian and Asian-American artists, and when the girls have grown into stronger and better professionals.

Is there any way for me to stop spazzing? For the moment it seems impossible :sweatingbullets:

---

a20b70cab0286ee5ac95e5ebebf0e324_large.jpg

bec48d4fd632416d461648c38187ad1a_large.jpg

8a3e295ec9ac7a1e907eb2af40aa99c9_large.jpg

1d9c2e32f7cd77490bb294d6cb0be30a_large.jpg

WGs and Noel

Credit: Einstein_MCP

Originals (higher res)

http://yfrog.com/h2gwplj

http://yfrog.com/h8fvjdtj

http://yfrog.com/h396gyoj

http://yfrog.com/gzb7edtj

Hi guys since you are discussing it already, I am just curious how much money wonder girls earned last year. I sum up all of their fees and I end up with 6 billion won but the US tour, album sales, MUSIF, MTVWorld Stage, Singapore Sing Fest and Malaysia Concert is not included coz i don't know their fees.

I also don't know if the 500 million won cf fees is per cf or per product..so i just put the 3 billion won for six cf that was mentioned plus the Seoul City cf..I really appreciate it if guyz help me with this.

^

^

will -- Doubt anyone will ever find out. Too many variables involved.

It can be fun to research & make projections, though. But I suspect all computed results will still be too far apart to make sense.

You correctly highlighted some high-profile events where WG's fees were unknown, esp. the various Mnet-organized shows & MTV World Stage.

Others yet unmentioned would be the NYC Fashion Week appearances; Dream Concert; the KMF & LAKFF shows in LA; JYP Nation TeamPlay; government-involved projects like going to MIPCOM, et al.

Commercially, WG's deal with Cafe Mori expired but offhand, I can think of 4 new partnerships: Seoul Tourism (as you mentioned), Monster Cable (although not formal endorsement yet), Pucca (i.e. not just with EXR) & NCsoft (AION).

But the income from other events are projectable, if only for fun: US tour (check the venue capacity & multiple by ticket price -- the Korean media actually did this; I think they reached a USD 2 million(?) figure for the 27 dates before some shows got canceled), China appearances (their fees allegedly rose from RMB 300K in mid-year to RMB 1 mil by year's end; the RMB 1.6 mil for JiangsuTV NYE is probably a one-off), the various showcases (the Sony Ericsson ones covered under their endorsement deal).

I will post my WG 2010 itinerary as a reference guide when ready. Still have 2 months' worth of activities to proof-check.

Also, traditionally the fiscal year is April to April & JYPE will file its business income report thereabouts.

The Korean government regulator made public the financial health of the top entertainment companies in mid-April last year.

Even then, the figures may not reflect the truth cuz none of them are publicly-listed companies. If anything, they will try to 'under-report' as much (& legally) as possible to lessen their tax burden.

Complicating matters is WG's overseas income, where factors like exchange rates (70 percent of JYPE USA's 2009 net loss was supposedly attributed to this), tax systems (although I don't think WG stayed long enough in America last year, not sure about China), country-level double-tax agreements (JYP's accountants will structure corporate & WG's personal incomes accordingly to minimize tax exposure in multiple countries), how much appearance fees gets audited (eg. potentially untraceable if concert promoters initiate private arrangements & pay in cash), etc. all come to play.

- - - - - - -

FYI Sunye apparently wrote letters to JYPE colleagues, according to some latest translated tweets I have seen.

Hwa Young, JOO & Sohee were all conversing about this on Twitter a few hours ago.

missA MIN & FEI also got involved, but I think they are talking other stuff to Hwa Young.

- - - - - - -

Fanpics Media pics from LiaoningTV recording.

So coordinated....

3067befcb331424bb99c47d7c593043d.jpg

Source: http://gb.cri.cn/27224/2011/01/17/5232s3126890.htm

So random... LOL

ccbc1e4488754b4a803541f.jpg

Source: http://gb.cri.cn/27224/2011/01/17/5232s3126890_1.htm

Archived