Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

user posted image 10/3 News compilation at EverythingLBH.com 

September Movie Actor Brand Reputation Ranking, ARENA interview
    Review: THE FORTRESS depicts defeated king & aides' tough choices
    Photos at IT'S ONLY MY WORLD wrap-party.. we think..
    Chuseok holiday choices; THE FORTRESS Stage Greeting schedule
    MASTER: Hong Kong's 7th Edition Festive Korea to Screen 19 Films
    Lee Byung Hun praises 'The Fortress' co-star Kim Yoon Seok 
    BH Entertainment Launches Official Youtube Channel 
    THE FORTRESS: Cast & Director meet fans at CGV Star Live Talk
    Pictorial: MagazineM Vol.233 feat. THE FORTRESS 
    THE FORTRESS Special Preview with Celebrity guests
    THE FORTRESS: Media Interview Photos feat. Lee Byung Hun
    1st Anniversary: Lee Byung Hun sharing photos from Mag7 
    THE FORTRESS Press Preview, film tackles heavy historical subject
    CINE21 Interview: Lee Byung Hun in resonance with time
    MASTER Screening at London Korean Film Festival 2017
    Why even billion won salary is okay for Lee Byung Hun
    HanCinema Guest Film Review: MASTER by Panos Kotzathanasis
    Dynamic Acting Studio: Talented, respectable Korean actors
    THE FORTRESS: Main and International Posters Released
    SINGLE RIDER: Upcoming DVD and Blu-ray Releases

20170921_2.jpg

Spoiler

A nice surprise photo-sighting of BHMJ at a wedding last month (?). Not too sure about the exact date (could be 9/21? or 8/21?) but it's the wedding of veteran actor Shin Young Gyun's grandson or granddaughter. Senior actor Shin was the one who officiated Byunghun & Minjung's wedding in 2013.

At the article Interview365, also posted other guest photos which included actress Lee Young Ae and her husband as well as actor Ahn Sung Ki & wife, also veteran actress Yoon Jung Hee + husband.

20170921_1.jpg

• Like 3

October 2, 2017

KOFFIA 2017 REVIEW: A SINGLE RIDER

BROOKE HEINZ FILMED IN ETHER

“Going down I saw

That flower

I failed to see as I came up” – Ko Un, That Flower  (Translation by Brother Anthony and Lee Sang-Wha)

It is fitting that A Single Rider opens on such an emotional, symbolic, yet far from vague, poem. A thoughtful, and at times unsubtle, debut from writer-director Lee Zoo-young, A Single Rider is a meditation on unappreciation and separation as told by the intertwining stories of two Korean expats in Australia.

The first of these is financial worker Jae-hoon (Lee Byung-hun). Two years after sending his wife and child to Australia while he continues to work in Korea, Jae-hoon is publicly disgraced after the closure of his employer. Following the collapse of his career and reputation, Jae-hoon struggles with depression and suddenly decides to fly to Australia to check on his family. When he arrives in Sydney, he finds his wife Su-jin (Kong Hyo-jin), who now goes by the English name Sue, and son (Yang Yoo-jin) have largely moved on. While Jae-hoon comes to terms with his family’s happiness without him, fellow expat Ji-na (Ahn So-hee) finds herself in a dangerous situation in the suburbs of Bondi.

Despite a change in location from the dour, blue-tinged offices of South Korea to the open, vibrant landscapes of Sydney (an early hint at the film’s larger metaphorical ambitions), a sense of melancholy remains around Jae-hoon as he follows the family he sent away. It is clear Jae-hoon is initially in stasis as his family thrives in their new environment, with Jae-hoon refusing to accept their integration into Australian society (“I don’t like Su-jin being called Sue” he remarks at one point). Jae-hoon’s cultural and familial isolation is captured by Kim Il-Yeon’s restrained cinematography. Confidently using empty space and framing in conjunction with Jae-hoon’s easily-identifiable dark suit (itself a symbol), Jae-hoon is presented as a shadow forgotten by the rest of the world, mostly hanging to the edges of the frames as he seemingly does in the thoughts of his family.

As the film progresses, hints that the symbolic and literal are more closely linked than initially thought become increasingly hard to ignore until all is revealed in the film’s rushed third act. Lee’s story decisions may prove divisive – either blindsiding and confusing or finally confirming the obvious for viewers (a point proven by Lee’s comments at a Sydney screening that a shocking plot twist was not her intention, despite gasps from the audience). For myself, after the initial satisfaction that my suspicions were correct subsided, it became apparent Lee’s choice was for the better. It not only creates a memorable climax, but services A Single Rider’s commentary on depression, the fragility of life, and selfishness – even if it does risk being predictable and overt in its message as a result.

20160507_39.jpg

What cannot be criticised for a lack of subtlety, however, is the performance of Lee Byung-hun. While there are some dramatic outbursts of emotion (with one scene calling to mind his role in I Saw the Devil), it is the smaller details of Lee’s performance which imbue the film with the aura of sadness it requires. Lee’s physical performance has a considered and slow rhythm, with his quiet demeanour and pensive gaze matching the film’s contemplative tone.

Meanwhile, the supporting cast range from great to merely serviceable. Pop star turned actress Ahn So-hee continues to prove her career switch was not a frivolous one with her performance as Ji-na. Unlike in last year’s Train to Busan, Ahn is given plenty of material to demonstrate her dramatic talents, with the film’s climax relying on her heartbreaking, shocked reaction. Ahn’s ability to take advantage of the script is further highlighted by the performances which do not – namely Jack Campbell as Chris, the close friend and potential love interest of Su-jin. Campbell is given ample opportunities for a memorable performance in the film – especially during an unnecessary subplot involving his sick wife and a family emergency – yet mostly wastes these, never quite getting past the ‘good bloke’ stereotype.

Also falling short of expectations is Jo Yeong-wook’s score. With Jo’s work for The Handmaiden showing an ability to create great string pieces, and with violins playing a significant role both narratively and symbolically, it is surprising and disappointing that strings are not fully-utilised until the final track. Instead, Jo produces a minimalistic collection of piano-focused tracks which fail to make an impression. It may have been the intention of the filmmaker to continue A Single Rider’s sorrowful and reflective tone with such a stripped-down score (large stretches of film without any accompaniment suggests as much). However, I cannot help but feel a further layer of thoughtful symbolism and emotional impact was missed by this decision.

Much like Ko Un’s poem, A Single Rider is akin to a parable – a story unabashed in its moral lessons. Whilst Lee’s directorial debut displays some lost opportunities unique to the screen (namely the score and minor performances), it also shows the strengths of the medium through its strong visual symbolism and storytelling. Using a ‘wild geese family’ as the narrative basis to explore isolation and separation, A Single Rider advocates for appreciating what we currently have – leaving audiences to consider what is important in their own lives as they leave the cinema.

• Like 3

Good words about MASQUERADE and THE FORTRESS in one article :)

October 5, 2017

'The Fortress' becomes fastest Chuseok movie to surpass 1 million in attendance

SEOUL, Oct. 5 (Yonhap) -- "The Fortress," a South Korean film depicting King Injo of the Joseon Dynasty taking refuge from a Chinese invasion, has become the fastest movie released during the Chuseok holiday to surpass 1 million in attendance, its distributor said Thursday.

CJ Entertainment said "The Fortress" got over the 1 million mark with 552,747 viewers Wednesday. The film premiered Tuesday, with 444,527 watching it on the opening day.

It puts "The Fortress" one day ahead of the pace set by "The Face Reader," which then went on to draw 9.13 million viewers in 2013.

"Gwanghae: the Man Who Became the King" remains the most successful film to be released during the Chuseok holiday, attracting 12.31 million viewers following its 2012 release. That film reached 1 million in four days.

Directed by Hwang Dong-hyuck and adapted from a best-selling novel, "The Fortress" follows the embattled king's 47 days of hiding from an invasion by the Qing Dynasty, which ultimately ended in him surrendering to a conquering Chinese general.

This image, provided by CJ Entertainment, shows the promotional poster for the film "The Fortress." (Yonhap)

This image, provided by CJ Entertainment, shows the promotional poster for the film "The Fortress." (Yonhap)

jeeho@yna.co.kr

• Like 3

October 5, 2017

Lee Byung Hun Addresses His 20-Year Age Gap With “Mr. Sunshine” Co-Star Kim Tae Ri

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Kim-Tae-Ri-Lee-Byung-Hun.jpg

During a recent interview, Lee Byung Hun talked about his upcoming role in the drama “Mr. Sunshine” and addressed the wide age gap between him and his co-star Kim Tae Ri.

“Mr. Sunshine” will be the third project that screenwriter Kim Eun Sook and Lee Eung Bok collaborate on, and will feature a strong cast that includes Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Yoo Yeon Seok, Byun Yo Han, and Jo Woo Jin. The drama will be the story of a young boy who travels to the United States during the 1871 Shinmiyangyo [U.S. expedition to Korea], and returns to his homeland later as an American soldier.

Lee Byung Hun was high on the list of favorites to appear in the drama as the male lead requires fluency in English. The actor has appeared in multiple Hollywood movies like “Magnificent 7,” Misconduct,” and “Terminator Genisys,” so he fit the requirements for the role. On why he decided to appear in the drama, Lee Byung Hun laughed and said, “Though working with Kim Eun Sook was a big draw, my agency’s CEO was the biggest influence on me. BH Entertainment’s Son Seok Woo recommended the drama to me and said that Kim Eun Sook writes really great scripts, and that made me want to take the project on.”

42.jpg

Many are curious to see how the relationship between Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Ri will play out in the drama as they have a 20-year age gap between the two of them in real life. Kim Eun Sook has featured couples with large age gaps in her dramas before, like in “A Gentleman’s Dignity” and “Goblin.”

When asked how he feels about acting alongside Kim Tae Ri, Lee Byung Hun said, “I’m not sure what our dynamics will be like because I haven’t received a script yet. However, I met Kim Tae Ri pretty often last year because she was receiving awards for ‘The Handmaiden’ while I was getting them for ‘Inside Men.’ I met her, Son Ye Jin, and Park Jung Min as fellow award-recipients at almost half of the awards ceremonies, and there were over 10 of them in total. It almost felt like we had worked on a project together, and we ended up feeling like we’d known each other for a long time.”

“Mr. Sunshine” will be a weekend drama that airs in 2018.

Source (1)

• Like 3

It's so sweet to see that the Showbiz Korea team had presented LBH with a 'family cap set' for him, MJ and little JH. Hopefully we'll get to see the Bear family sporting their caps together. :lol:

Published on October 5, 2017 by ARIRANG K-POP

• Like 3

October 6, 2017

2017 Busan Festival reveals international guest list

SEOUL, Oct. 6 (Yonhap) -- Dozens of Korean and foreign movie stars and directors will be out when the Busan International Film Festival kicks off its 22nd edition in the southern port city of Busan on Oct. 12.

Festival organizers recently revealed a list of the South Korean and foreign film industry figures who are expected to attend the festival, including actors Jang Dong-gun and Moon Geun-young as well as directors Oliver Stone, Darren Aronofsky, John Woo and Hirokazu Kore-eda.

Spoiler

This file photo shows South Korean actor Jang Dong-gun. (Yonhap)

This file photo shows South Korean actor Jang Dong-gun. (Yonhap)

Among local actors, Jang of "V.I.P." and Lee Je-hoon of comedy-drama "I Can Speak" confirmed their plans to visit Busan for the fest. Both will attend the Open Talk event hosted by the Korea Film Reporters Association at the Haeundae BIFF Village outdoor stage on Oct. 13 and 14. Jang also will co-host the opening ceremony of the festival with actress Kim Ha-neul on Oct. 12.

Moon So-ri, who recently made her directorial debut with the comedy-drama based on her own life story titled "The Running Actress," will also be on the Open Talk stage with Japanese actress Nakayama Miho from Iwai Shunji's seminal "Love Letter" on Oct. 13.

The same program will feature the main cast members -- Moon Geun-young, Kim Tae-hoon, Seo Tae-hwa and Im Chung-woon -- of the 22nd BIFF opener "Glass Garden" with its director Shin Su-won on Sunday.

Spoiler

This file photo shows South Korean actor Lee Je-hoon. (Yonhap)

This file photo shows South Korean actor Lee Je-hoon. (Yonhap)

The casts of forthcoming Korean films "RV: Resurrected Victims," "Man of Will" and "The Fortress" are scheduled to meet fans on the seaside stage. They may include A-listers like Kim Rae-won of "RV: Resurrected Victims," Lee Byung-hun of "The Fortress" and Song Seung-heon of "Man of Will".

Oliver Stone, who gained global fame for his film "Platoon" (1986) and "Born on the Fourth of July" (1989), was invited as the head juror of this year's New Currents Award.

Darren Aronovsky, director of the Hollywood mystery thriller "Mother!," will also be coming to Busan. This would be the first formal Korea visit by the director best known for "Black Swan" (2010).

John Woo, known as the godfather of Hong Kong action movies, will make his first-ever visit to the Busan film festival with his latest action noir "Manhunt." Woo, who rose to international fame for "A Better Tomorrow" (1986) and "The Killer" (1989), has returned to the typical crime action noir after more than two decades.

Many prominent Asian directors who have frequented the festival will also come to Busan for this year's event. They include Japan's Hirokazu Kore-eda, Naomi Kawase and Kiyoshi Kurosawa.

Kore-eda will attend the screening of "The Third Murder," a courtroom drama, in the Gala Presentation section while Kawase will return with "Radiance," invited to the "A Window on Asian Cinema" section.

In the same category, Kurosawa will present "Before We Banish," a sci-fi drama premiered in the Un Certain Regard section at this year's Cannes Film Festival.

Spoiler

This file photo shows Japanese actress Aoi Yu. (Yonhap)

This file photo shows Japanese actress Aoi Yu. (Yonhap)

Japanese actress Aoi Yu and actor Eita will promote their latest films "Birds without Names" and "The Ringside Story," both invited to the same section.

Chinese auteur Jia Zhangke will return to the festival with "Where Has Time Gone?" invited to the Wide Angle section. It was co-directed by five filmmakers representing Brazil, Russia, China, India and South Africa.

Popular Chinese actor Luo Jin, who has 15 million followers on Chinese social media service Weibo, will attend the screening of his latest film "Ash."

Also among other prominent figures who will shine at the 22nd BIFF are Thai director Nonzee Nimibutr, French actor Jean-Pierre Leaud who received the honorary Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival last year, and Singaporean director Boo Junfeng.

Director Sho Tsukikawa of the Japanese box office sensation "Let Me Eat Your Pancreas" and its lead actress Minami Hamabe recently confirmed they will both be in Busan as well.

Based on the best-selling novel by the same name, the movie is a teen romance drama about a high school loner who happens to find a diary by his classmate that reveals she is suffering from a pancreatic disease and shares the secret with her.

The 22nd BIFF runs from Oct. 12 to 21.

Spoiler

Above is a promotional poster for the Japanese film "Let Me Eat Your Pancreas." (Yonhap)

Above is a promotional poster for the Japanese film "Let Me Eat Your Pancreas." (Yonhap)

sshim@yna.co.kr

• Like 3

October 6, 2017

'The Fortress' gathers audience of 2 million in 4 days

AEN20171006002800320_01_i.jpg

SEOUL, Oct. 6 (Yonhap) -- "The Fortress," a South Korean film depicting King Injo of the Joseon Dynasty taking refuge from a Chinese invasion, gathered an audience of 2 million people in the four days after its release, its distributor said Friday.

CJ Entertainment said earlier that "The Fortress," released Tuesday, became the fastest movie released during the Chuseok holiday to surpass 1 million viewers, which it did in only two days.

The latest figure also sets a new record for movies released over the Chuseok holiday.

Directed by Hwang Dong-hyuck and adapted from a best-selling novel, "The Fortress" follows the embattled king's 47 days of hiding from an invasion of the Qing Dynasty, which ultimately ended in him surrendering to a conquering Chinese general.

colin@yna.co.kr

• Like 3

October 7, 2017

A busy month ahead for Lee Byung Hun 

20171007_3.jpg

Oct 7 & 8  Stage greetings in Seoul

Oct 13 Buil Film Awards presentation
Oct.14 Stage greeting in Haeundae
Oct. 15 Stage greeting in Daegu
Oct. 19 Opening of the London East Asia Film Festival

“The Fortress”  already exceeded two million admissions.   Fighting !  

Source:   a LBH fan in Weibo

• Like 3