Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

February 22, 2017

[Interview] "Hwarang" Jin Ju-hyeong, "I want to go to Hollywood like Lee Byung-hun"

Source: Hancinema.net (related LBH excerpt only)

photo822455.jpg

Jin Ju-hyeong's role model is Lee Byung-hun who is recognized in Hollywood, so this movie is a good opportunity for him.

"Lee Byung-hun is my role model and I used to mimic him. I think my voice somewhat became like his because I followed him so much. Going to Hollywood is my goal and do everything Lee Byung-hun did. I am also learning English. I lived in Singapore for 7 years and Canada for 3 but it's not enough".

He's working hard. He doesn't know how to give up. Will he achieve his dreams of going to Hollywood?

user posted image

• Like 3

Good words from Pierce Conran ^_^

February 23, 2017

Review: A SINGLE RIDER Subtly Ponders the Small Regrets of Life
Lee Byung-hun stars in a delicate melodrama, directed by Lee Zoo-yong.

By Pierce Conran ScreenAnarchy

A few months after the explosive period spy thriller The Age of Shadows from genre maestro Kim Jee-woon, Warner Bros is back with its second Korean production, A Single Rider. Though both films share star Lee Byung-hun, who appears as an extended cameo in Kim's work, A Single Rider, from debut filmmaker Lee Zoo-yong, is a far smaller work with only a handful of characters; it's largely concerned with the theme of regret.

Lee plays a top fund manager whose life falls to pieces when his company loses all its clients' savings. He decides to take a trip to Australia, where his wife lives with their son, in order for him to learn English. Upon his arrival, the husband discovers that his wife, a former violinist whose musical ambitions have begun to reawaken, has gotten very close with her Australian neighbor. During his trip, he also tries to help a young Korean girl who has been swindled out her savings during her work-abroad stay in the country.

A Single Rider doesn't exactly break new ground but its understated look at a man reconsidering what his life means in a society consumed with achievement is refreshing, precisely because it avoids tackling too many issues or devolving into hysterics, as many similar works have. Lee Zoo-young, a graduate of the Korea National University of Arts, mounts her debut with measured and quiet grace and knows exactly how to get the best out of her stars. Her choice to set most of the film Down Under proves a clever one, as the comfort and peace of suburbia lifestyle in Australia offers a way for us to see into the characters without being lost in the clutter of a more stressful Korean environment.

Prior to becoming the global superstar that he is today, appearing in Hollywood action tentpoles and major Korean thrillers, Lee Byung-hun was largely famous for being a star of melodramas, both in theaters and on television. For the first time since 2006's Once a Summer, Lee has returned to the realm where he started his career with A Single Rider. However, unlike the romantic leads he was accustomed to, his role here calls on him to deliver the most introspective and subtle work of his career. It's an expressive performance and a great showcase for Lee's range.

Though her role is quite small, Kong Hyo-jin follows her terrific part in E.oni's kdnap thriller Missing with another impressive turn. Her character is the suffering, silent type, and like Lee she demonstrates control over her mannerisms and allows us to peer in through the occasional richard simmons in her calm exterior. She's far more famous for her TV and modeling work, but given her consistently strong parts in smaller film roles, one hopes we'll see more of her on the big screen in the future. A Single Rider also marks the fifth different female director that Kong has worked with, surely a record for a major Korean star.

The film also fits in with the recent run of Korean films dealing with the rampant corruption of the haves of society at the expense of the have-nots. Lee was last seen in the big-budget film Master, in which he also plays someone in the finance industry who swindles normal people out of their life savings, though unlike the ponzi scheme mastermind of the prior work, here his character may not have been aware of the consequences of his actions, or at the very least may have forced his conscience to look the other way.

The regret he feels for his actions is what leads him into the subplot of the young Korean woman, played adequately by Kpop star Ahn So-hee, who can't hope to measure up to the film's seasoned lead. Helping here recover her savings may offer some form of absolution for Lee's character.

A Single Rider is likely to be appreciated by its intended audience, even if it's not a very big one these days, as feature melodrama (as opposed to that seen on TV) seems to have lost favor with Korean viewers. However, due to its delicate tone and slight narrative, even fans may not recall this quiet little work long after seeing it.

• Like 3

February 24, 2017

@rubie Thank you for sharing the great reviews!

It is wonderful that Lee Byung Hun received such positive reviews on his performance in “Single Rider” from both Shim Sun-ah and Pierce Conran. The Director Lee Zoo-yong cleverly concentrated on BH’s “eyes and looks”  rather than his dialogue to show his feelings. 

While it is unlikely that I can watch this movie on the wide screen, I hope the movie’s  DVD will come out in a few months.  

• Like 3

@peonie I'm more than happy to share the reviews, Barbara. :) Luckily, based on the overall response, SINGLE RIDER certainly did not disappoint. For a low-budget movie, it's definitely a worthy feature at the Korean box-office. Despite being pitted against other more anticipated Korean movies, a top 3 spot is indeed an achievement and most likely will stay on at least for another week. And during the weekend, more moviegoers will be heading to the cinemas. A really good word-of-mouth will really push SINGLE RIDER a long, long way. There are a lot of Instagram sharing (+feedback) on the movie and pretty much, people are liking it although I'm a bit wary that I'll stumble on the spoiler too soon. I do have an inkling but let's hope we'll be surprised instead as the movie has so far, quite amazingly, surpass the expectation. Well done, SINGLE RIDER director, cast and crew!

Clip: warnerbros.korea

Praises from the press and netizens

• Like 3

February 24, 2017

New movies to battle out for weekend box office

This image, provided by Warner Bros. Korea, is a poster "A Single Rider." (Yonhap)

This image, provided by Warner Bros. Korea, is a poster "A Single Rider." (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Feb. 24 (Yonhap) -- New movies of diverse genres including thriller, drama and action will compete for the top spot in the local box office this weekend, an official box-office tracker said Friday.

American psychological thriller "Split," which premiered here on Wednesday, topped the local box office on the day of its release and is riding a huge wave of popularity, according to Korean Film Council (KOFIC).

Helmed by director M. Night Shyamalan, the film follows a man with 23 different personalities who kidnaps three girls. Much attention has been drawn to whether the film will continue its reign over the weekend.

Three homegrown films are also set to attract moviegoers' attention.

The courtroom drama "New Trial," which also topped the local box office on its Wednesday opening day, is the runner-up with an accumulated viewer count of 1,447,731 as of Thursday.

The movie, spearheaded by director Kim Tae-yoon, tells the story of Hyun-woo, the only witness to a taxi driver's murder, who spends 10 years in prison after he is falsely accused of the crime. He gains hope as he meets Joon-young, his advocate as well as a lawyer in debt.

This image, provided by Opus Pictures, is a poster for the South Korean movie "New Trial." (Yonhap)

This image, provided by Opus Pictures, is a poster for the South Korean movie "New Trial." (Yonhap)

Also competing to top the weekend box office is "A Single Rider" featuring top-billed actor Lee Byung-hun. The movie is currently at No. 3, pushing the crime-action thriller "Fabricated City" to fourth place.

In "A Single Rider," Lee plays a branch manager of a securities company who loses everything after a scandal surrounding an insolvent investment fund erupts. Feeling miserable and lonely, he flies to Australia to meet his family only to find out that his wife has developed an intimate relationship with another man. The movie has received rave reviews for the actor's delicate, sensitive performance as well as rookie director Lee Joo-young's careful projection of emotions backed by a strong script.

The action flick "Fabricated City" directed by Park Kwang-hyun took fourth place on the daily chart. It stars actor Ji Chang-wook as Gwon-yu, a jobless gaming addict who endeavors to uncover the truth behind a rape-murder case after being framed as the perpetrator.

deserts@yna.co.kr

• Like 3

UPDATED: Both LBH and PBG reps - the actors are considering the offer but have not decided on anything.

201702241856778676_58b005aacf87b.jpg

February 24, 2017

Actors Lee Byung Hun and Park Bo Gum considering new movie, 'Anshi Seong: The Castle of the Forbidden'

Source: News1 (ELBH Google-translate)

'Anshi-seong' is a dramatized drama about the battle of Anshi in Goguryeo, to be directed by director KIM Kwang Sik ('My Dear Desperado,' 'Tabloid Truth'). The investment and distribution is to be handled by NEW which produced the drama 'Descendants of the Sun' and movies 'Missing You', 'No Breathing', 'Chaw' .

'Anshi-seong' casting news are generating interest due to the fact that the two names are highly-sought actors in present Chungmuro. Lee Byung Hun is at the top of his career with successive movies in 2016 such as 'The Age of Shadows', MA$TER and Hollywood's 'The Magnificent Seven' after the hit movie, 'Inside Men' in 2015.  

In addition, Park Bo Gum is also attracting attention to his next work, as he has enjoyed popularity with tvN drama 'Reply 1988' and KBS2 drama 'Love in the Moonlight' broadcasted last year. If "Anshi-seong" appearance with Lee Byung Hun materializes, the interest in and out of the film industry will be getting hotter than ever.

In the meantime, Lee Byung Hun is promoting the movie 'Single Rider' currently being screened. He is also in the midst of filming "Namhansanseong" which is scheduled to crank up in April, and will start shooting "Only it is My World" in May. It is said that his agency will also review 'Anshi-seong' appearance according to the schedule. 

• Like 3

February 24, 2017

Park Bo Gum And Lee Byung Hun Considering Roles In Upcoming Historical Movie

Source: Soompi by J. Lim 

Lee Byung Hun Park Bo Gum

Lee Byung Hun and Park Bo Gum’s agencies have responded to reports that both actors will appear in the movie, “Ansi City.”

Both agencies stated that though the actors are currently considering the movie as they have been offered a role, they have not decided yet on whether they will appear or not. “Ansi City” is set to be a historical movie that depicts the battle of Ansi City in the Goguryeo era, and will be helmed by director Kim Kwang Sik.

Reports surfaced on February 24 that both Lee Byung Hun and Park Bo Gum are considering the movie, and quickly spread due to the popularity of both actors. Lee Byung Hun is seen to have hit the peak of his career with a recent slew of hits like “Inside Men,” “The Age of Shadows,” “Master,” and the Hollywood film, “The Magnificent Seven.” Park Bo Gum is also an extremely popular actor, having starred in last year’s hit dramas “Reply 1988” and “Moonlight Drawn by Clouds.”

Lee Byung Hun is currently promoting his latest movie “Single Rider” and already has two movies scheduled in for this year, “Namhansanseong” and “My World Only.” His appearance in “Ansi City” will depend on how packed his schedule is. Park Bo Gum is said to also be considering the movie “Seobok.”

Source (1) (2)

• Like 3

February 24, 2017

Poll: Who Should Play Nightwing in the DCEU Movie?

BY ADAM CHITWOOD      Collider.com

While The Batman found a new director earlier this week, Warner Bros. also added a new film to its DC Extended Universe slate: Nightwing. The studio entered negotiations with The LEGO Batman Movie helmer Chris McKay to direct a Nightwing movie, bringing a new superhero into the DCEU fold. The question now becomes: Who’s going to fill this sure-to-be-coveted role?

The Nightwing character in the comics has most prominently been richard simmons Grayson, the adopted ward of Bruce Wayne who serves as his sidekick Robin. Nightwing is who Grayson becomes when he grows out of the sidekick role and serves as his own superhero, wielding a pair of Escrima Sticks as his signature weapon of choice.

It makes sense for Warner Bros. to make a Nightwing movie after casting Ben Affleck as Batman. Affleck’s version of the Dark Knight is an older, more grizzled hero, and so it stands to reason that Grayson has already become Nightwing in the world of the DCEU. And as for that Robin costume memorial in Affleck’s Batcave seen in Batman v Superman, well Zack Snyder never specified which Robin is dead.

nightwing

Image via DC Comics

It may be some time before the Nightwing movie comes to fruition, and we have no idea what kind of film McKay will make. The LEGO Batman Movie, McKay’s first solo directorial effort, was a comedy with a big emotional center, so Nightwing could have a comedic bent. Or it’s possible McKay is telling a serious superhero story. Again, we have no idea, but that clearly won’t stop the fan-casting.

So while admitting we have no clue what direction the character will be taken in, we’ve assembled a list of potential candidates to play Nightwing. They range from Michael Cera, who voiced Robin in The LEGO Batman Movie, to Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who played Robin in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises—although admittedly Gordon-Levitt is a stretch as that would connect the DCEU to Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy, and the filmmaker has been clear about not wanting that to happen.

Here are the candidates we’ve chosen:

Joseph-Gordon Levitt – Proven talent, young enough, and has DC history.
Michael Cera – For a more comedic bent on the character.
Ben Barnes – The Chronicles of Narnia actor showed versatility on HBO’s Westworld.
Corey Hawkins – Straight Outta Compton showed promise, and he can certainly handle action as seen on Fox’s 24: Legacy.
Byung Hun Lee – If you want an actor who can perform the acrobatic stunts, he’s your man.
Jensen Ackles – The Supernatural star played Jason Todd in the animated film Batman: Under the Red Hood.
Milo Ventimiglia – The Heroes actor is red-hot again thanks to This Is Us.
Kevin Zegers – He’s got the look.
Riz Ahmed – Really the Rogue One and The Night Of standout should be in everything.
Richard Madden – The King of the North!
Garrett Hedlund – It’s only a matter of time before Hedlund leads his own superhero movie, so why not Nightwing?
Finn Wittrock – After first breaking out on American Horror Story, standout turns in La La Land and Unbroken have put Wittrock on the map.
Steven Yeun – The Walking Dead alum has some free time on his hands now…

• Like 2

February 25, 2017 

COMING SOON! WATCH THE STREAMING OF 'SINGLE RIDER V LIVE'

TODAY AT 7.00 PM SEOUL TIME

PLEASE CLICK ON LINK 

http://www.vlive.tv/video/23790/이병헌X공효진X안소희-싱글라이더--V-라이브-A-single-rider--V-LIVE

Photo: warnerbros.korea

"Lee Byung Hun X Gong Hyo Jin X An So Hee"
SINGLE RIDER Three actors finally appearing talk live
Tonight (2/25) 8:00 pm 
# Live on the Naver # V app
# Commemorative _ live # live room

(Google-translate)

• Like 2

February 25, 2017

Park Bo Gum And Lee Byung Hun Possibly To Work Together In New Film

BY CHIQUI GUYJOCO / Korea Portal

Hallyu stars Park Bo Gum and Lee Byung Hun can possibly be seen together on the big screen. Both actors' management agencies confirmed earlier reports that they've been offered roles for the upcoming period movie "Ansi City" to be directed by Kim Kwang Sik. The agencies clarified that the actors are still considering the offer and have not made any decisions yet.

The news that stirred excitement among Hallyu fans speak as a testament to the sweeping popularity of the trending 23-year-old "Moonlight Drawn By Clouds" star as well as the unshakeable reputation of the 46-year-old Lee Byung Hun. The younger actor has just concluded his Asian Fan Tour in Singapore on a high note and has also been offered a role for another movie "Seo Bok," a mythical movie to be directed by "Architecture 101" director Lee Yong Joo. Park Bo Gum achieved breakthrough success and a Hallyu star status after appearing in the 2015 tvN series "Reply 1997" as well as last year's coming of age drama "Moonlight Drawn By Clouds."

His label Blossom Entertainment reported that their young star has been receiving offers left and right while Park Bo Gum claimed he's open to trying as many characters as possible. He also expressed his interest to try teen romance before he "gets too old" and even a musical film. "Since I wore many beautiful hanboks in "Moonlight Drawn By Clouds," how about I show the beauty of Korean school uniforms in my next project?. And I want to try a music-inspired project, like the film "Begin Again" or "Sing Street," he told Soompi in an interview.

Lee Byung Hun, meanwhile, is busy promoting his new film "Single Rider" alongside Gong Hyo Jin. He's also filming two other movies this year, "Namhansanseong" and "My World Only." The critically-acclaimed actor starred in American films such as "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," "G.I. Joe: Retaliation," "Red 2," "Terminator Genisys" and "The Magnificent Seven."

• Like 3