Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

@rubie, as per our conversation on the movie thread.....

Memories of the Sword

I did go and see it with some other Asian friends last Friday, over a week ago.

This film throws an unexpected twist, actually - 2 of them - and my guess is that because of these twists (which really guide how the film progresses) is the reason why the film was not well received. It sort of turned it into a "Shakespearean Korean movie" in a way - that leaves us debating those twists and the progression of the movie based on them. It is certainly thought provoking.

The strong point in the movie for me - was Lee Byung-Hun's performance. He never disappoints. I just love the quality of his acting, and how his characters come to life. I am not a fan of Hollywood or the genre he acts in for Hollywood, so it is a double pleasure to see him in Korean films and especially sageuk - how I loved him in "Masquerade!" (rather than action film - for me). (Although I loved him in his earlier romance films, such as "Harmonium in My Memory," "Once in a Summer" and "Addicted." - but I think it is unlikely he will pick up a role like this soon)

Truth is, that every time I watch a movie with Lee Byung-Hun I know I am up for a treat. Very few actors have his level of excellence and screen presence.  I pray that we will see many more movies with him. Korean character movies.

By the way, I have met him once when he was in California for the hand and foot print at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood.  There was a short Korean film festival thanks to that occasion - his movie "Bittersweet Life" was shown, and both he and the director- Kim Ji-Woon were there for Q&A.   Here he is arriving at the venue....    

283739_3783081690036_5789971_n.jpg?oh=74

And after the hands print

Lee%20Byung-Hun-IHA-005498.jpg

And here he is during the Q&A.

532137_3783130891266_378178627_n.jpg?oh=

It was a very small event, because it was organized last minute. We were lucky to sit so close to him and other Korea actors and directors who came there.

• Like 4

@irilight, so good to see you here! And great pics sharing, too.

I really wanted to reply longer at the movie thread but I didn't want to write too much about Lee Byung Hun over there. Totally agree with you on everything you have stated. Acting-wise, he really never disappoints at all, always giving more even when being so severely underused in those so-called Hollywood popcorn flicks. He's definitely made for Sageuks, took him over 20 years to actually try his talent in Masquerade. Playing a king or noble man particularly suits him as shown in the MOTS stills. Just too bad that a supposedly well-made movie like 'Memories of The Sword' failed to present itself better. The top-notch cast were just wasted. 

However, as much as we wanted him to act in more and better Korean projects, it'll probably will not happen, at least not for awhile due to the circumstances we are aware of. The immensely underwhelming result from MOTS had definitely made things harder for him to be on fhe Korean big or small screens in the future. It's just so unfortunate to have this happening but a full image change (on his behalf) obviously will take longer. Thus the hard reality he must face.

I so loved all the movies you have mentioned, the romance-melos of HIMM, OIAS and Addicted especially, just love the acting & everything. But reality bites hard, these days it'll be even harder or quite impossible to see him playing a leading role in love melodramas, again the consequences that we as fans suffer, too. If there's an offer in Korea, it'll probably another male-dominated action movie, perhaps like 'I Saw the Devil' or similar plots along the line. What could work if given the chance if he'd be offered a family-oriented feature. In my opinion, this is one genre that he had not even tried (and quite the favorite among the moviegoers if done well), given the fact that he was once in the past, more sought for romantic (+ action) leading roles. Maybe this reversal of situation could be a new path for him.

Frankly, I haven't been so big a fan of JDY but maybe, if there's a chance, minus the MOTS mess, maybe LBH could be paired up with the actress again in a better project. In HIMM, they're played a teacher and student pairing but that potential chemistry and creative collaboration in MOTS was lost alongside the movie's nosedive progress. Well. I'm just saying things out loud but honestly, a third time seems bleak.

Really glad to know that you had the opportunity seeing LBH upclose at the hand & foot printing ceremony. 2012 was really good year for him, especially with 'Masquerade' making it to the 10 million club, among other professional acclaims. 2013 was not too bad either. As much I hope to forget 2014, it happened and time to pick up the pieces and hopefully, everything will slowly be better than before.

So sorry for this long-winding rather gloomy post, reason why I'd rather not spill it out at the movie thread. Just a feeling of a fan who's been here & around for way too long.. but it's good to let it out. The hurt is not everything and it's not the end either.

In the meantime, we can most certainly hope that 'Insiders' will do a lot better when it opens in December. Hopefully Showbox will not shove the movie aside. At the very least, the upcoming movie is nothing like MOTS. In 2016, there will be two more Hollywood movies coming out. 'Beyond Deceit' will premiere in February, but although acting with big names, a feeling that his screen time will be a lot lesser than RED 2. 'The Magnificent Seven' compared to his other Tinseltown feats, seems a better project in terms of main casting. Well, at this point we can only hope for the best and no more mess-up.

It's probably a wishful thinking, please let there be a Korean movie project in 2016 as well.

• Like 4

@ irilight

Thank you so much for sharing your insights of MOTS.  After reading the film critics comments, it is refreshing to know a fan’s thoughts on this much criticised movie. Very glad that you thought Lee Byung Hun did not disappoint and that his character “come to life”  because of his performance.

I loved the shots you took of him in Los Angeles. You are so fortunate to be able to meet him up close.  The closest distance that I saw him was about 50 yards.   

I hope to see this movie soon.

• Like 4

@rubie, you are most likely correct in your assessment, as we all know.  How I wish "Memories' would have been a better film - esp. for him. You wrote: If there's an offer in Korea, it'll probably another male-dominated action movie, perhaps like 'I Saw the Devil' or similar plots along the line

In fact, when director Kim Ji-Woon was asked at that event in Hollywood about his future projects, he pointed at Lee Byung-Hun and said what is important is that "his actor" would be in them.

But I feel as much as it may take a while - he can turn this image around.  i.e. when the baby becomes a toddler he can take take it with wife on "Superman Returns" variety show. I personally don't watch variety shows, but like everyone else have heard of it and it's popularity with kids of stars. I think it will help his image as a family man if he were to do that with wife and child.  I like your idea of having him star in a family drama - something he has not done in years, but I think it can backfire if he does it before he heals his reputation and have a chance to show himself as a family man.

I think a different and possibly modern movie with JDY, could land him in Cannes, and that can be a turning point in his career.  I like this idea.

Another option would be a good sageuk film (or drama)

How I wished he had more movies in the works in Korea.

I love all the photos you posted   :wub:

@peonie, you are lucky to have seen him too. I don't get to see any Korean actors live - it was really once in a lifetime opportunity.

What a ray of hope in the fact that he won yesterday in the Seoul International Drama Awards.

Nobody can deny his excellence as an actor.

10th Anniversary Hallyu Achievement Award – PD Lee Byung Hoon (Korea)

sorry... me bad...

source

Edited by irilight
90% of the time linking does not work until we come back and edit it.
  • Like 3

@irilight, unfortunately PD Lee Byung Hoon is not related to actor Lee Byung Hun. The former is the acclaimed drama PD behind the famous period dramas like Dae Jang Geum, Dong Yi and many more. (LEE BYUNG HOON) Even his name spelling ( 훈 = Hoon) differs to that of Lee Byung Hun ( 헌 = Hun/Heon). However there is also a young  movie director with the same name & spelling as Lee Byung hun the actor. See Lee Byung Hun; he recently directed the movie 'Twenty'. @peonie and myself, we often talked about this and we agree that it'll be a long while till any of us will see Lee Byung Hun at official ceremonies, awards and the likes in Korea. He used to be a favorite guest/presenter/emcee on such events but everything is just all upside-down at this moment. 

I really like the idea of LBH and JDY collaborating again. Hopefully, someone.. someone in Korea saw their great chemistry and potential in the hot-mess MOTS to cast both in a really good project. I was hoping that he would work with either Dir. Park Chan Wook or Dir. Kim Jee Woon and particularly Dir. Bong Joon Ho whom he really admires (and vice-versa, imo) but never had the chance. I would love to see LBH and JDY again in projects by any of these directors. What a big and seemingly surreal hope, though. sigh.gif

Re: 'Superman Returns, have to say I have mixed feelings on this. No doubt the show works like magic with the babies and kids of Korean celebrity dads yet similar to your thoughts on doing a family-theme film, he still has to work on his personal image as a sincere family man away from publicity on the small/large screen. It could be perceived that he's taking a shortcut as the public response might still be different/harsh toward LBH (even) in 'Superman Returns' if he did it before he had redeem himself on the big screen (no help from MOTS) and truly showing his responsibility for his wife, son and their family. Either way, our hope will take a longer path.

Love & appreciate sharing thoughts with you, I missed discussing like this. Really really hope we will have better days soon.

• Like 4

@rubie, I am so sorry, and thank you for setting me straight... I was so happy, thinking it was "our guy...."  I should have checked the Hangul too.

I know sometimes sites interchange using oo/u, and I thought that is what happened here...    :(

What do you think of the idea of him doing a movie or a drama with his wife?  I am not saying tomorrow, but as a project to be done soon. I actually think a family drama with both of them as a couple will work?  I think she has a following too?

fullsizephoto337124.jpg

• Like 4

@irilight, please. no worries, ok. It happens. A lot of sites made similar mistake a lot of time, even popular movie blogs. Not just the "Hoon =/= Hun" confusion but the "Hun =/= Hyun" as well  It would be awesome right, if it was indeed him yesterday.

Hmm.. before.. things happened, I would definitely look forward to any project he'd do with Lee Min Jung. My hope wasn't high, just a magazine pictorial or a TV CF together or just to see them attending events together, you know. A drama would be too ambitious since he's too busy with movies. But now.. a drama is just impossible, in my skeptical thinking. MJ has her own following (from her dramas) and it's actually getting bigger, looking at her instagram account. When they got married her fans were concerned about her and now, their worst fears happened. It's unfortunate that his wife still gets criticized & hate for standing by him.

But  along the way, if they're truly working hard at their marriage, eventually, they will be stronger together and be able to work hard & succeeding in their careers, thus proving the critics wrong. It's hard to say, perhaps too wishful to see a LBH-LMJ drama pairing as tv viewers can be so particular and picky. He had his CFs pulled out of tv last year, no doubt one of the worst impact that could happen to a high-profile actor. Apart from netizens' hate comments, his wife however is not too affected where dramas, CFs and pictorials are concerned. Just that she is keeping a low profile as well.

Hope you won;t stop talking and sharing here. I've been too skeptical these days and talking things out might help dilute the lingering bitter taste.

Latest LMJ photo in a Marie Claire pictorial (TV Report)

20150911_1441954737_32502900_1.jpg

• Like 4

@rubie, thank you for writing more....

Silly Netizens - on the one hand they believe in the sanctity of marriage, and on the other hand - they criticize his wife for staying by him? Are these people not realizing what a double standard this is???      ;)        

Is he very popular in Japan and/or China?

Maybe that is the route to take.. China, more so than Japan. There are plenty of Chinese co-productions, and Chinese entertainment sometimes can exert quite a bit of influence on Korean Entertainment, is my thinking....

Someone on Twitter had posted photos of Lee Byung-Hun with Kim Jee-Woon...

COuGxJeVAAA2KOR.png

COuGxQCU8AAPCcV.png

COuGw8hUsAAyz-V.png

COuGwgnUwAAUPZ3.png

• Like 4

@irilight , indeed there are a lot of netizens' double standard everywhere. However right now, it seems (imo) that the Korean entertainment industry are getting more and more being dictated by the media reports and netizens feedback. From the harshest comments on celebs to the "power" in deciding singers/actors to pull out from a show to the final say in drama casting, as we've seen in some cases. One day, I feel that the too much emphasis on these vocal netizens comments will bring more harm than good. Anyway, that is the world we live in right now.

Regarding Japan or China, or even Korea, Lee Byung Hun's always been more popular in Japan since the 2000s especially 2004 onward. It's his drama 'Beautiful Days' that truly caught the fans' attention in Japan and other Asian countries. Have you watched Beautiful Days? It's forever my most favorite Korean drama (and first LBH work) that got me here, almost 15 years on. Back to the topic of Japan, he's been more popular there compared to anywhere else and a lot have been focused in Japan in terms of fans' preference and future projects, etc. A lot of fan items such as photo books and merchandise were mainly sold in Japan along with the annually fan-meeting & concerts. For each of LBH's movies, either Korean or Hollywood, there were always a huge Japanese premiere held, often times even bigger than those in Korea, However, since mid of 2014, all that attention and affection may have been affected one way or the other. There has not been any events for him in Japan so far. He's not included in the Terminator Genisys Japanese poster nor the premiere, truly a far cry from the reception at the two GI Joe movie premieres in 2009 and 2013. Well, we still have to wait and see what the situation is really like.. when and if he's back in Japan. I doubt that MOTS would get a big premiere in Japan, if it's lucky enough to be screened. Of course it will be shown in Japan as Lotte had sold the movie rights before the sad truth about the movie was revealed.

As for China, Lee Byung Hun and his management had focused way too much on Japan and now, Hollywood. In my opinion, that says it all. Considering his age and situation, it's probably too late for him to venture in China, but who knows what the future brings, right. Maybe @peonie and @p.v.wong could share some thoughts on this as they're also following the updates at LBH Baidu.

By the way, @irilight, thanks so much for the LBH-KJW pics. I sure hope they will collaborate once again in the coming years. LBH is undoubtedly has been KJW's muse and they work so well together. Right now Dir. KJW is working with Song Kang Ho in a new espionage movie. I would love to see Lee Byung Hun acting in this but the production behind the new film was also the one that produced SKH's award-winning box-office movie 'The Attormey', so their lead choice had been obvious from the start. However Dir Kim Ji Woon mentioned in an interview after making 'I Saw the Devil' that he wanted to direct a rom-com or love story melodrama. Really really hope if that happens, LBH will be his choice for the fourth time.

The second photo that you posted up there, thanks so much for it. Definitely remember the event they attended but have not had that particular photo before. Thanks so much for sharing it. tq.gif

Here's our EverythingLBH.com album on this, there were not many photos .. so, every sharing counts!

2005.07.14 Real Fantastic FilmFest

• Like 4

@ Rubie and @irilight 

I am not too familiar with the development of the entertainment industry in China to voice an opinion on whether LBH can be successful there.  However, the strength of the Chinese box offices is undeniable as evidenced by the successes of  Terminator Genisys  TG ( Ticket sales over USD112,900,000 in 22 days) surpassing ticket sales  of TG in the US and Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation (Ticket sales over USD81,000,000 in 6 days).  This trend is expected to increase in the near future with the emphasis on consumer spending by the Central Government  and improved affluence in China.  

Being promoted in the Chinese Entertainment market requires “Guanxi” or connections.  On this, LBH is actually ahead of many other Korean actors and actresses because of his personal relationship with the Chairman of the Emperor Group.  When LBH received  his “Best Foreign Actor Award”  during the 9th Hua Ding Awards ceremony held in Hong Kong in April 2013, he was seated  at the Emperor’s Chairman table together with Jackie Chan.  In addition, LBH was invited by Emperor’s Chairman for a ribbon cutting ceremony of the Emperor Jewellery flagship store in September 2014.  Unfortunately, LBH cancelled his trip for reasons we know. 

Despite this connection, LBH needs to improve his image and popularity before he can be widely promoted in China.  All successful businesses would prefer to invest in a proven formula, as in the case of Emperor Entertainment Korea’s investment in Lee Young-ae’s drama “Saimdang, the Herstory”.  Lee Young-ae’s success in “Dae Jang Geum" is well known.  I quote from irilight’s recent posting:

Quote:

Emperor Entertainment Korea -- a subsidiary of Hong Kong-based Emperor Group -- will invest a hefty 10 billion won ($8.5 million) for the new Lee Young-ae drama, “Saimdang, the Herstory.”

Emperor Group is ranked among the 10 most profitable business groups in Hong Kong, spanning across finance, real estate, hotels and entertainment. The conglomerate is perhaps best known for producing and distributing films featuring the cream of the crop Chinese actors -- Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Andy Lau, Chow Yun-fat, Jacky Cheung, Nicholas Tse and more.

Its Korean arm EEK, established in 2014, was endowed with 110 billion won ($94 million) to invest in selective Korean entertainment contents, with aims to ride on the hallyu fever across China and Asia.

Unquote

Source: KPOPHERALD

As fans, we all hope LBH will be popular again because he is such a fine actor.  I guess we just need to be patient.

Edited by peonie
  • Like 4

Thanks so much Barbara (@peonie) for the TG in China update. I have to say that I worry that there will be a sequel following the b.o. success in China as Paramount will once again put LBH on a contract leash after the way they treated him in Genisys.  And really, the sequels he's been involved in (GI Joe, RED 2) haven't really been that good as the predecessors.  Really, the idea of a Terminator sequel is giving me a heavy sinking feeling.

Lee Byung Hun is really a fine actor, he's hardworking and always giving more than an excellent job in every role & project he's cast in. However, he had for so long neglect to take note that a good image & reliable reputation is also more important, especially for a public figure.  It's especially crucial when many other good Korean actors (not necessarily active internationally) who are scandal-free trustworthy celebs getting the support from the Korean public, as shown in the recent box-office hits.

Indeed, all we need to have now is a lot patience. It's up to Lee Byung Hun to show that he's worth that.

• Like 4

Casio Oceanus in Singapore #LeeByungHun #CASIO #PanAsiaAmbassador

Source: Google

casio_oceanus_sg1.jpg

Source: factoryjemsg (image)

casio_oceanus_sg4.jpg

Casio OCEANUS Pan-Asia Ambassador BYUNG-HUN LEE OCW-G1000 #casiosingapore #casio #oceanus #byunghunlee #korea #kpop #menstyle #elegance #with #beauty #solarpower #sapphireglass #titanium #band #MADE #IN #JAPAN #jemsg

• Like 4

‪#‎TheMagnificentSeven‬ ‪#‎ByunghunLee‬ has finished filming?

Our thanks for the highlight by wakadayo12 and LBH DC Gallery

Photo credit: halolorraine (Haley Bennett's instagram)

My heart is full. Until next time, safe journeys my friends #MagnificentSeven #AntoineFuqua #DenzelWashington #EthanHawke #ByungHunLee @prattprattpratt @manu_rulfo @sensmeier #LukeGrimes

• Like 4

Lee Byung Hun’s promotional video for Emart/Tmall Global

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-16%20at%207.41.4

Thank you @p.v.wong for giving me the following link to Lee Byung Hun’s  recent promotional video for Emart, the largest South Korean supermarket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUhjkTWi5Xs&feature=youtu.be

The following a brief translation of LBH’s video:
“How are you? I am Korean actor Lee Byung Hun.  I would like to congratulate  the No. 1 Supermarket “Emart” for having joined “Tmall Global” for 5 months.  Hope “Emart" using “Tmall Global’s” platform can provide better service and excellent merchandise to Chinese consumers.  Also hope "Emart- through Tmall Global’s platform can also become the largest international supermarket.    “Emart”  fighting!  Thank you.”

Emart is South Korea's largest supermarket with 70 stores in the country.  It has  32% market share, surpassing the number of stores and sales of Wal-Mart and Carrefour combined.

[ Tmall Global (www.tmall.hk) is a solution that enables companies based beyond China’s borders to directly advertise and sell to millions of Chinese consumers. ]

Source:  LBHBaidu

Edited by peonie
  • Like 4

Dear Barbara, @p.v.wong and China Baidu LBH, thanks so much for the video highlight/ It's really something totally out of the blue considering the drought of news. Quite a surprise, indeed.

Thank you so much for the wonderful translation especially, I've shared the clip at our website and FB, knowing the fans there are also looking forward to any news of LBH. We made a few more screencaps and found a previous update about Emart in China. http://everythinglbh.com/entry_view.php?id=4566

Does this clip means that he would be somewhat endorsing/promoting the Emart Tmall Global or just a part of Korean celebrities sending their Congratulatory messages? We just had that talk about him working in China, wonder if this is his small steps toward that. Hopefully he would continue on Weibo as well. Just weird when one has an account but keeps it like a 'ghost town'.

Looks like the clip could have been made in the US or perhaps when he was home in July?  Just hoping that with the 'Magnificent Seven' filming finally ending, he would get rid of the facial hair since it was for the movie. The 'Billy Rocks' persona looks like 'Park Chang Yi' of GBW, minus the scars and earrings. Though he looks better (with facial hair) in Masquerade and MOTS, he really can't rely too much on make-up. One reviewer had pointed out that his make-up in MOTS was not properly done that it affected his scene in the movie. Anyway, after almost a year filming The Magnificent Seven and sporting this look in 2015,  hopefully Lee Byung Hun will finally return to the usual clean-cut style but with reformed personality & improved image.

• Like 4

Source: Blu-ray.com / Novamedia

Joint Security Area Steelbook 

1) Pre-order date/time: 28th Aug, 2015 10AM (Korea Time, UTC+9)
2) Release date/time: 25th Sep, 2015
3) Price & Print run (Total print run = 4K) 
- Full slip: 2,000 copies, numbered : $ 36.99
- Lenticular slip : 1,000 copies, numbered : $ 37.99
- Magnet Lenticular slip : 1,000 copies, numbered : $ 37.99
- Continuity book : $ 1.00 (around 300page)
- One click package : 200 copies, $111 (As same numbered Full slip + Lenticular slip + Magnet Lenticular Slip)
One click pre-order gift : 1x continuity book.
4) Package details
- 2D blu-ray disc (4k Remastering)
* Subtitles : English, Chinese1,2, Korean
* Korean DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ch, Commentary(DIRECTOR & ACTOR), Commentary(CAST & STAFF)
* Special Features (around 90mins)
- 36 pages booklet (English, Korean)
- 6x postcard
- 5x art card
Thank you.
Novamedia

jsa_steelbook1.jpg

jsa_steelbook2.jpg

jsa_steelbook3.jpg

jsa_steelbook4.jpg

• Like 4

‪#The‎MagnificentSeven‬ ‪#‎ByunghunLee‬ ‪#‎MinjungLee‬ ‪#‎LBH‬ ‪#‎LMJ‬ ‪#‎NewMexico‬

Finally!  panda1-1.gifA photo of Lee Byung Hun and Lee Min Jung together, highly presumed in New Mexico 

Photo credit: Manuel Garcia-Rulfo (thank you!) 

Thanks for dinner! ‪#‎koreanstyle‬ ‪#‎korea‬ ‪#‎charles‬ @216jung ‪#‎byunghun‬

• Like 4