Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

I watched Ashfall (this title makes me cringe.. isn't Mount Baekdu a much better title?) on New Year's Eve.  I don't really know what to say nor do I want to analyse it..  Just that the movie took my breath away and I want to watch it again.

Oh, and does anyone know when is The Man Standing Next screening in Singapore? :D

• Like 5

Wow! @closetserialaddict, you've watched the movie and going to watch it again. That is quite the feedback. :lol:  Really good to read that the response from Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan have been quite positive, indeed! Do tell us later after your second viewing of Ashfall, tell us what you think. Can't say much about the English title, it was quite a surprise when the movie was renamed as such for the international release. In Korea, it's still called Mount Baekdu or Baekdusan. Come to think about it, wouldn't it be better to use Mount Baekdu so that the global audience would know about Korea more as it's a real volcanic mountain. But then, we're not CJ.. no2.gif

Speaking of CJ Entertainment which is an all-out promoter of their movies, not sure when THE MAN STANDING NEXT would be released in other countries. Showbox would certainly have the info to be released later.. perhaps, when the movie has been shown in Korea. But one thing for sure, TMSN has been sold to several buyers during the Asian Film Market at the Busan Film Festival last October.

We'll sure keep our eyes open for the updates later to share it here and at the movie thread. In the meantime, TMSN will be busy in the coming weeks with interviews and live chats, etc.

January 2, 2020

Lee Byung Hun and Kwak Do Won to participate in Lotte Cinema Live Chat

Source: Newsis (Google-gist)

20200117livechat.jpg

Photo: Lotte Culture Works

The stars of the film THE MAN STANDING NEXT (Chiefs of Namsan) will meet the audience.

Actors Lee Byung Hun and Kwak Do Won will participate in the Lotte Cinema 'Live Chat' to be held at the Lotte Cinema World Tower in Seoul on the 17th. At the upcoming event, various filming stories, including behind-the-scenes will be shared with the audience.

The Live chat will be broadcast live at five theaters including Lotte World, Lotte Cinema Gwangbok, Daejeon Central, Dongseong-ro, Suwan and Suwon. The live streaming will also be broadcast in real time through KakaoTalk Shop (#), Daum App TV tab, and Kakao TV Lotte Cinema Channel.

Bookings to join the live chat is scheduled to open on the 3rd. Participants will receive a code to access the live chat chatroom when they enter the theater. 

Source: Showbox

poster_14.jpg

Another version of TMSN poster spotted and shared by @wisecrack07 on twitter

Looking at each of the TMSN posters, there's definitely the resemblance to INSIDE MEN's posters.. most likely due to Dir. WMH's influence. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

First, there's the LBH-SKH reunion making it their 4th project. Then, we found out that JDY appeared in Ashfall as LBH's wife. Now, she's joining Emergency Declaration as well. 

Today, Ashfall has just crossed the 7 million admission milestone with only a bit more to reach the break-even point while still the number 1 of the Korean Box Office. The Man Standing Next is set to premiere soon and it's looking pretty good as well. With these 2 new movies screening back-to-back, we'll have another movie in production and a new drama coming soon as well. 2020 have started well for Lee Byung Hun. All we need now is his confirmation for the PCW movie.176.gif

January 3, 2020

Jeon Do Yeon Joins EMERGENCY DECLARATION

Source: StarNews (Google-gist) // EmergencyDeclaration@Soompi

2020010308595348387_1.jpg

Top actress Jeon Do Yeon has confirmed to join Director Han Jae Rim's 'Declaration of Emergency' alongside Song Kang Ho and Lee Byung Hun.

According to the movie industry on the 3rd, actress Jeon Do Yeon recently decided to appear in the upcoming movie 'Emergency Declaration' and is currently adjusting the details. 'Emergency Declaration' is a film about aviation disaster by director Han Jae Rim who previously directed movie 'The King'.

In mid- 2019, the casting news of top actors Song Kang Ho and Lee Byung Hun have attracted much attention from both inside and outside the film industry. The new project marks the 4th work after past collaboration in 'Joint Security Area', 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird' and 'The Age of Shadows'. Jeon Do Yeon is expected to appear as a minister in the 'Emergency Declaration' making her a strong match in the leading lineup and further enriching the movie.

Jeon Do Yeon who is coming out with her new movie 'Beast Clawing at Straws' in February will start shooting 'Emergency Declaration' with a completely different character. 'Emergency Declaration' will begin filming in the first half of  2020 after finishing major casting roles.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

January 3, 2020.

Thank you @rubie for sharing this wonderful news.   I am so pleased that casting for "Declaration of Emergency " is successful in securing three terrific actors and actress well known for acting skills.   Will truly look forward to this movie!  

• Like 4

January 3, 2020

Reporting on Ashfall by a Hong Kong Newspaper  (a translation) 

hkp.jpg

Lee Byung Hun’s eye drops enhanced his acting

“Ashfall” has a strong cast.  They include: Lee Byung Hun, Hollywood actor who recently appeared in the Korean Drama “Mr. Sunshine”,  Ha Jung Woo of the blockbuster “Along with the Gods” series  and Ma Dong Seok of “Train to Busan”.  The two protagonists, Lee and Ha were interviewed a few days ago.  Altough they were interviewed separately,   both had tacit understanding both inside and outside of the movie and sang high praises of each other.

In the movie, Lee Byung Hun and Ha Jung Woo tried to use abbreviations in a gag.  Lee admitted that he was not familiar with this trend.  He said:  “ Ha Jung Woo and I understood each other’s character, Ha’s talent and unique sense of humour were well known.   When we collaborated and as expected, he appeared very interesting and charismatic in front of the camera. In addition, his real-time response was also amazing.  Everytime that he was done with a shot, he would run to see the playback.  This was rather special.  As the air conditioning was on full blast on the set, one felt cold and needed to wear a jacket.  Ha usually wore a vest or a short sleeve shirt, but still sweated profusely.  He would joke and say that the sweat was part of his make up.   

Transformed emotions

With respect to leaving a deep impression with his audience for his emotional eye performance, he said: “ I used eye drops to help me to do something good.  It is important to turn the basic story into my inner emotions.  I am just human, I am not able to make the movie at 100%.  However, I still struggle to portray the character as close as possible, Whether they are eyes or facial expressions, I tried my best to be natural in my acting.   I told myself that changing my looks for the character is insufficient,  I have to get into the soul of my character.”   At the same time, he praised Jeon Do Yeon for her surprised guest

appearance as his wife in the movie.  He said the two of them have collaborated a couple of time before and the shooting was very smooth.

Ha Jung Woo and Ma Dong Seok failed to meet in a scene

Ha Jung Woo said he participated as producer in this movie and personally invited Lee Byung Hun and Ma Dong Seok to join the cast.  He sang high praises for Lee Byung Hun whom he found so very kind.  “He did not have airs of a big movie star.  We became even closer because we acted together in this movie.  His personality is elegant and very human.  When he shoots, he threw himself in 100%.  Every take is full of energy like a 20 and 30 year old.  He is as perfect as a devil. Even when he is joking,  he is full of enthusiasm.  I want to change his name to [the devil.]

Little difference in acting skills

Ma Dong Seok was invited to perform in this movie but bascially they did not have a scene together.   Ha Jung Woo said bluntly they did meet even once on the set and consequently cannot face off each other in acting.

As for Suzy acting as his pregnant wife, he smiled and said he felt that was new and original.   Suzy gave him the feeling of being forthright and generous.  He said;  “On the surface, our age gap is very large, however, at the scene of the shooting, there is little difference in our acting skills.  Furthemore, she has been been a singer from a very young age, I felt she was quite mature.

During one  movie promotion, he gave the nick name of Buzz Lightyear (from Toy Story ) to Lee Byung Hun. He said Lee smiled a lot like Buzz Lightyear.  In addition, his energy and enthusiasm were similar to Buzz Lightyear.

Source:  Apple Daily via@idyidyhoho at Tweeter

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

@peonie, thanks so much Barbara for translating this interesting article on ASHFALL. It's nice to read good positive foreign report on the movie screening outside Korea. Lee Byung Hun really enjoy acting and he's always learning & giving his best each time he has a new role. The never-ending passion and hardworking attitude are truly the his best asset as a reliable actor that ensured him the top spot in Chungmuro. 

2020.01.03 ASHFALL at # 1 Korean Box Office with 7.0 million audience admission dancing_by_allsmileys-d794ov2.gif

Source: KoBiz

20200103-1.jpg

January 4, 2020

“Ashfall” Hits 7 Million Moviegoers, Continuing Impressive Run

Source: Soompi by R. Jun // CJ Entertainment

Baekdusan Seen from the moment // Sour and sweet // Lemon Candy Top Explosion

“Ashfall” is still powering on! As of its 16th day in box office, the film has officially surpassed 7 million moviegoers.

“Ashfall,” starring Ha Jung Woo, Lee Byung Hun, Jeon Hye Jin, Suzy, and Ma Dong Seok, is a disaster film about a group of people struggling to prevent the catastrophic eruption of a volcano on Mount Baekdu that threatens the survival of both North and South Korea.

According to the Korean Film Council on January 4, “Ashfall” garnered 118,681 moviegoers on January 3, for an overall total of 7,033,315 moviegoers since its premiere on December 19.

The film is moving through the milestones faster than the 2014 hit film “Ode to My Father,” which also premiered at the end of the year and and went on to hit a total of over 14 million moviegoers.

Congratulations to the cast and crew of “Ashfall”!

Source (1)  // CJ Entertainment

The Hidden Penguin Skill penguin-dance.gif

Come to think of it.. maybe it's not JoonHoo but his Appa who is a big fan of Pengsoo. :lol:

• Like 4

January 5, 2020

An interview with Lee Byung Hun ( a translation)

R:  Reporter    LBH:  Lee Byung Hun

0104_1.jpg

Lee Byung Hun put a lot of thought into playing a North Korean

R:  What do you think after watching the movie?

LBH:  More than half of this movie is presented in front of the audience with CG (Computer Graphics ).   When I go to the movies as an audience, like all other audiences, I feel great and find the movie with a lot of feeling.  I remembered on the day of the preview screening, there were 16 screenings at the same time, and everyone who watched the movie later said it was very interesting.  Seeing their visual expressions and hearing what they say, they genunely thought so.   I am very excited about this reaction.

R:  When you received the script, which is the part that you found  most interesting?

LBH:  The political part, to be precise, the scene where Lee Joon Pyeong (Lee Byung Hun), Jo In Chang (Ha Jung Woo), the US military and the Chinese dignitaries met. When you looked at it, it seemed naive, but it showed the complex relationship. I discussed a lot with the director on this.  Although this part can be more in-depth and the dialogue can be handled better, we all hoped we should not go too deep because after all, this is an entertainment movie and there is no need to convey such a detailed message.  Only the key points need to be shown.  We want to keep the elements of an entertaining commercial movie which feels like a disaster movie.

R: Is the completed CG satisfactory?

LBH:  I heard that the CG work was only completed two days before the media priority show.  But the director often said that he wished he had more time to deal with CG. When the release date was set, many people immediately dealt with post-production, and worked very hard for months to achieve this result.

0104_4.jpg

Lee Byung Hun has no shortage of action scenes in the movie.

R: I heard that this is a large-scale disastrous movie with even North Koreans appearing in the scene, an archetype disaster story.

LBH: Among commercial films, disaster entertainment movies seem to have no alternative to Hollywood's formula. I think we should greatly reduce the number of predictable plots.   Even though we all know that this movie is mainly about the display of  amazing visual effects, I also want to show the interesting, humorous and touching parts. Of course, there are also regrets. The confrontation between the North and the South is very important; it feels like sleeping with the enemy.  As the North and the South slowly move closer, a Southern soldier and a North Korean spy, all these things can only be experienced by the actors.  Collaborating with Ha Jung Woo was a lot of fun.

0104_3.jpg

Lee Byung Hun admits trying to get into the character's soul during filming.

R:  Lee Byung Hun’s has left a deep impression with his audience for his emotional eye performance, how do you feel?

LBH:  I used eye drops to help me to do something good.  It is important to turn the basic story into my inner emotions.  I am just human, I am not able to make the movie at 100%.  However, I still struggle to portray the character as close as possible, Whether they are eyes or facial expressions, I tried my best to be natural in my acting.   I told myself that changing my looks for the character is insufficient,  I have to get into the soul of my character.”

R. Jeon Do Yeon made a surprised appearance in the movie and played your wife. You two cooperated very well. How do you feel?

LBH: Although it was a difficult scene to shoot, but we shot very well.  We have collaborated in the past and established a certain tacit understanding. There is no need to re-engine the wheel,  we have worked together before, so the process went very smoothly.   

0104_2.jpg

Lee Byung Hun and Ha Jung Woo both had tacit understanding both inside and outside of the movie. 

R: There is a scene, you and Ha Jung Woo were  engaged in a gag scene with acronyms.  In reality, do you like this trend? How do you find working with him?

LBH:  (shaking his head) I am not familiar with this trend.  Ha Jung Woo and I understood each other’s character, Ha’s talent and unique sense of humour were well known.   When we collaborated and as expected, he appeared very interesting and charismatic in front of the camera. In addition, his real-time response was also amazing.  Everytime that he was done with a shot, he would run to see the playback.  This was rather special.  As the air conditioning was on full blast on the set, one felt cold and needed to wear a jacket.  Ha usually wore a vest or a short sleeve shirt, but still sweated profusely.  He would joke and say that the sweat was part of his make up.   

0104_5.jpg

Lee Byung Hun will focus on working in South Korea for the time being.

R:   When will you shoot Hollywood movies again ?

LBH: Sometimes I miss some works because I think too much. While I am thinking about it, good projects appear in Korea. After that, it will be difficult to coordinate with my schedule.   The work for next year and the following year  is already set. But I also want to be able to stop working.  No matter whether it is for the actor or director, it takes months to complete a work, but after each completion,  I feel exhausted.  Every time I want to re-energize, to get rid of the role and character of the previous movie and and to prepare for the next work. It would certainly be ideal for me to have enough time to prepare; to replenish my energy.  But in many case, work is not like that, and that has absolutely nothing to do with will.

Source:   https://hk.entertainment.appledaily.com/enews/realtime/article/20191231/60426235

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

@rubie thank you for the heads up on the new movies we can expect to see LBH in! And JDY too... woohoo.. I had goosebumps when i read about Emergency Declaration.. starring three big names including Kang Ho Sng.. noted re Man Standing Next's release date in SG

@peonie my mom said the same thing about LBH acting with his eyes! Haha.. She was watching Mr Sunshine when she said that.. Am  now thinking i should take her to watch Ashfall..  Haha..She is a huge fan of LBH

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

@closetserialaddict You are a wonderful daughter to introduce your mom to Lee Byung Hun.  She should fit right in among LBH fans.   As you are well aware, LBH has been acting for close to 30 years.  Fans who have followed him from the very beginning should be close to 50 and beyond.  All my fellow LBH fans in Hong Kong are over 50.   I have attended a number of Rubeurs functions in Seoul.   The majority of the attendees are Ahjummas.   

• Like 6

@closetserialaddict You should take your mom to watch Ashfall while it's screening in Singapore. Aside from All In and Mr.Sunshine, have she seen LBH in movies? Masquerade for instance?

Now in the third week, ASHFALL is probably slowing down in Korea but it's still at number 1 box-office ranking and already passing the break-even point (7.3 million, well-done!). So, it can still give more surprises along the way. A few highly-anticipated new movies are coming out in January, including THE MAN STANDING NEXT, of course.

January 6, 2020

THE MAN STANDING NEXT will be at Cultwo Radio Show

Source: StarNews

20200106.jpg

Actor Lee Byung Hun, Kwak Do Won and Lee Hee Jun will appear at SBS Power FM 'Cultwo Radio Show' on January 6, at 2 pm.

Source: cultwoshow

So, we'll be getting lots of photos and clips later on. :lol:

• Like 5

Thank you for all the updates @rubie and @peonie

I am so looking forward to watching Lee Byung-Hun in his upcoming projects.

We fans, are so lucky that he is so creative.

Here is a segment from the Press Conference of "The Man Standing Next" with English subs.

I look forward to seeing both this film and Ashfall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@irilight, happy new year! So good to see you back at the thread, hope you've been well. Thanks so much for the TMSN clip highlight, it's really great to have a subbed interview that explains quite a bit about the movie.

Once you've seen ASHFALL and THE MAN STANDING NEXT, don't forget to share your thoughts with us. Like always.

@peonie, seems that there's the VLive Talk held today (this one on Naver & there's also the Lotte Cinema live talk on the 17th).. after the radio show. :huh: I didn't realize it and completely missed the streaming. bricks.gif I seriously could not keep up with the promos anymore. :( :sweatingbullets:

Photo posted by Byunghun's make-up stylist before the radio show today.

20200106_10.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@peonie @rubie I needed a break from work today so i caught a show at lunch hour..My second time watching it! I still found the movie gripping.. I will suggest to mom that we go catch it. But i  think 3 might be the limit for me. Haha, my mom is in her 60s.. She was introduced to LBH in All In. She thinks he's so manly and charming.. Even said his appeal reminded her of my dad when he was young..So anyway, because of her age, i don;t think she will enjoy watching movies on a laptop screen that much. I will take her to the cinema. Haha.. i wonder what she will think of I Saw The Devil.. probably too much for her. What do you think of LBH in I saw The Devil? I  thought that was a really good movie tho yah, a bit sick.. 

• Like 2

@closetserialaddict Please treat your mom to Ashfall.. it'll be a nice experience watching the movie on the big screen. But No.. No.. No.. please do not let her watch I Saw the Devil. no2.gif We all know the movie is good and BH performed his best but nope.. it's not a bit sick.. it's a whole lot of that :blink: & more plus the gory, violence and brutality.

Clip: @BpeekabooH

Clip: @hhminee

• Like 2
  • LOL 1