2008 M B C Drama Awards

Guest kdramafanusa

netizens are angry at MBC for the trade deal and now this..they're saying its just like sbs drama 'on air' with the double daesang award and east of eden drama with actors dropping out.

i honestly think mbc was trying to save face by awarding SSH and reaffirming the fact he is a HALLYu star acting in an MBC production and bringing attention to East of Eden which has been receiving bad rap these days.

i this close circle of friends..or HALLYU stars i should say, is really a business circle. these people have turned into money making machines with stock options, companies, products, marketing strategies, etc.. i don't see them as ACTORS anymore..which is really sad because I'm sure at one point in their early career they saw themselves as ARTISTS instead of the business men they are now.

KIM MYUNG MIN on the otherhand has given MBC this upperhand in the drama world for years..he is really irreplacable and for the network to blow him off like that after his committment to him.. its like a stab in the heart.

That was a delightful post.

MBC should learnt from KBS and SBS on their Yr end Award .

There is only one DaeSang winner for KBS & SBS that had just ended,

and is based on merit of acting skill and not on it's rating or korean wave popularity or investor interest. ;)

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first of all, congrats to all the winners... especially KMM... he really deserved it...

but, i am really disappointed when i read about the shared daesang.... what's the problem with MBC?? have been reading so much negative comments about them lately... EoE.. now this... where is the credibility of the awards?? <_<

Guest bubbbletea

Lee Jun Ki's comment on that live show was amazing.

At least one actor has guts to stand up against MBC.

And I didn't mind BYJ hugging SSH,

but I DID mind BYJ saying at the award ceremony

that he'd like to see SSH win the award..

It'd be a different story if he said it outside the award ceremony, in a personal interview.

But in front of everyone, in a live show, at the award ceremony, few seconds before the actual award,

when he's the one who will give out the award?

Even SongSenYup was pretty shocked at BYJ's comment, even though it was SSY who asked.

MCs usually ask that to actors to lighten the mood and stall time, and answer like that- answer actually pointing out to a certain person-

is just never expected... If I were KMM at that time.. gosh.....

Guest piano_lady

Lee Jun Ki's comment on that live show was amazing.

At least one actor has guts to stand up against MBC.

bubbletea, would you please share with us a few more details.

some of us would be very interested to know what LJK said :)

Guest bubbbletea

bubbletea, would you please share with us a few more details.

some of us would be very interested to know what LJK said :)

Sure.

Right after Male Woo-Soo Sang nominees were named, and right before he was about to open the envelope and give the award, LJK said

"But you know, those people sitting in the front don't look like fans.

Wow, they are continuously clapping and wooing. You've been trained well!

They must be very happy."

It's because 2/3 of the audience (not the actors, but the fans who came to cheer) were actually people from Japan who came to support BYJ.

(correct me if I'm wrong on the Japanese fans coming to see BYJ. I know for sure that 2/3 of the audience were fans from Japan, but I'm not hundred percent sure that they came for BYJ. But Korean Netizens are saying that they came for BYJ, and some of the articles I read seem to prove it, so.. And BYJ is being cursed a lot by the Korean Netizens.. along with SoJiSup.)

1/3 of the audience at the front were hired fans (koreans) who led the clappings so the Japanese fans at the back would know when to clap.

"You" refers to the fake, hired fans, and "they" refers to MBC which really wants Japanese fans for the HanRyoo YulPoong.

Then he continued,

"According to the script, I'm supposed to say 'Which role did I envy out of all these?'"

The woman MC said (they've been running out of time), "People are telling us to keep this short."

LJK replied, "So I told them I'm going to make this long. What, do they want me to just keep silence?

I personally enjoyed watching New Heart and Beethoven Virus so ..."

When Beethoven Virus was not even in that nominee.

LJK really was trying to get on MBC's nerves.

Korean Netizens are all cheering him.

--[EDIT]

I honestly feel bad for SoJiSup, even though, like someone above said, it's the HanRyoo YulPoong elite group trying to make money.

SoJiSup just went up the stage to give flowers to SSH, and that was right when KMM was receiving his award, so KMM was cut off from the screen.

And before KMM even said his comments/thankyous after receiving the award (SSH said his already)

the MC asked BYJ "will you make a comment in Japanese to thank the Japanese fans?" and BYJ did .

So basically people are angry that not only did BYJ randomly popped up to thank Japanese fans while KMM was on the stage about to give his comment,

KMM was also not shown on the screen when he received the award b/c of SJS.

In total, what is happening with Korean Netizens:

HATE: 1. MC, for asking BYJ to thank the Japanese fans in Japanese in middle of giving out the biggest award. 2. BYJ for saying that he wants SSH to win the award, in that ceremony when he's giving out the award. 3. SJS for blocking the view. (and I personally feel bad for SJS... I mean, it wasn't HIS fault...)

LOVE: LJK, for obvious reasons stated above.

^

Junki actually said that...He was really like that in the awards show?!?! Wow... he really is tough.

Happy new year to everyone. I didn't like the awards show this year for MBC. Hopefully it would be better next year.

Guest piano_lady

And I didn't mind BYJ hugging SSH,

but I DID mind BYJ saying at the award ceremony

that he'd like to see SSH win the award..

It'd be a different story if he said it outside the award ceremony, in a personal interview.

But in front of everyone, in a live show, at the award ceremony, few seconds before the actual award,

when he's the one who will give out the award?

Even SongSenYup was pretty shocked at BYJ's comment, even though it was SSY who asked.

MCs usually ask that to actors to lighten the mood and stall time, and answer like that- answer actually pointing out to a certain person-

is just never expected... If I were KMM at that time.. gosh.....

Oh no...I thought BYJ mentioned that he favored SSH in an interview backstage (OK, still haven't watched the whole ceremony)

But sorry, BYJ fans...

What BYJ did was just plain unethical...

and I am not saying this because I am a KMM fan... :(

I also like BYJ esp in The Legend and WS..

Right after Male Woo-Soo Sang nominees were named, and right before he was about to open the envelope and give the award, LJK said

"But you know, those people sitting in the front don't look like fans.

Wow, they are continuously clapping and wooing. You've been trained well!

They must be very happy."

It's because 2/3 of the audience (not the actors, but the fans who came to cheer) were actually people from Japan who came to support BYJ.

(correct me if I'm wrong on the Japanese fans coming to see BYJ. I know for sure that 2/3 of the audience were fans from Japan, but I'm not hundred percent sure that they came for BYJ. But Korean Netizens are saying that they came for BYJ, and some of the articles I read seem to prove it, so.. And BYJ is being cursed a lot by the Korean Netizens.. along with SoJiSup.)

1/3 of the audience at the front were hired fans (koreans) who led the clappings so the Japanese fans at the back would know when to clap.

"You" refers to the fake, hired fans, and "they" refers to MBC which really wants Japanese fans for the HanRyoo YulPoong.

Then he continued,

"According to the script, I'm supposed to say 'Which role did I envy out of all these?'"

The woman MC said (they've been running out of time), "People are telling us to keep this short."

LJK replied, "So I told them I'm going to make this long.

I personally enjoyed watching New Heart and Beethoven Virus so ..."

When Beethoven Virus was not even in that nominee.

LJK really was trying to get on MBC's nerves.

Bravo, LJK!!! :w00t:

Ha! He sure made the MBC peepz upset with his comments!

And good to know that he likes BV too..

Congrats to LJK for getting the Top Excellence Award! :)

Oh, thanks for this clarification on the Japanese fans!

Now I understand... :sweatingbullets:

BIG THANKS, BUBBLETEA!!

honestly, i really didn't like the tone of ljk's voice.

he sounded so...arrogant. but that could just be me.

and i was really disappointed with the join daesang.

uh, kim myungmin .... song seunghun.

there's an obvious shiner there. but oh well, there goes the merit of korea's mbc. haha.

Guest arinkorin

I'm not backing up MBC or anything.

They had a lot of controversies these days, I remembered them banning SM Ent artists,

and after that the EoE case and now the sharing of Daesang award.

I guess MBC doesn't really care what the public think, they work things out the way they want them to be.

basically, stars should be really careful with what they say and do.

BYJ hugging SSH but not KMM is not wrong at all,

but I think the part when he said that he wanted SSH to win is a bit wrong.

did LJK really say that as a sarcasm for MBC? or did he just randomly saying things like that?

I don't want to misinterpret anything because I haven't watched it.

I would like to think that he wasn't trying to being sarcastic towards MBC,

because MBC is the host of the event, it's just not really right to do anything like that.

oh well, it doesn't really bother me.

oh, but I still think what BYJ and LJK did is not a big deal.

Even if what they did was right or wrong, it's not something to be made into an argument.

Just stating my opinion.

Guest bubbbletea

BIG THANKS, BUBBLETEA!!

You're welcome.

Junki actually said that...He was really like that in the awards show?!?! Wow... he really is tough.

Happy new year to everyone. I didn't like the awards show this year for MBC. Hopefully it would be better next year.

Yup. And to all those who haven't watched the show yet and can't believe he actually said these, yes he did.

I left out some parts that I thought wasn't important,

but I found it in Korean website about all his sarcasms against MBC.

"전년도에는 저희 말고도 남상미씨 , 공유씨 가 같이 수상을 하셨었죠?"

- 같이 수상했던 수상자들의 이름까지 호명해주는 배려.

"한지민씨 차기작이 결정된걸로아는데 소개하시겠어요? 못하시겠죠? ㅎㅎ 타방송사니까요. ㅎㅎ"

-재치멘트 ..뭔가 뼈가 있는듯한.

" 방송사는 아직 안정해져서요. MBC니까 MBC 라고 하면 좋겠지만 모르는거죠."

- ㅋㅋㅋ 은근히 MBC를 비꼬는듯한 나라도 MBC에서 드라마 하기 싫겠어 !! 제일 속시원했어

" 뒤에서는 시간관계상 짧게 해달라고 하셨는데 여기 대본에는 올해 MBC드라마중 가장 인상깊었고 하고싶은 배역은?

이라고 적혀있네요. 저는 뉴하트와 베토멘바이러스 를 가장 재미있게 봤습니다. 아..뭐..에덴의 동쪽도.."

- 에덴의 동쪽 몰아주기 시상식을 대기실에서도 보셨는지 아무도 챙겨주지않는 드라마 작품들의 애정을 여실히

나타냈음. 은근히 비판.

" 앞에 계신 분들은 누구의 팬도 아니시라는듯 모두에게 열렬한 환호를 보내주시네요 훈련을 잘 받으신것 같네요 ^^"

- 오늘 관객 3/2가 일본 아줌마들이라 한국어를 모르니 박수칠 타이밍

같은걸 모르기 때문에 한국 방청알바 3/1 앞에 심어놓고 박수유도했다는데요

그거보고 시크하게 비꽈주기 ㅋㅋ

"자꾸 짧게 하라고 하시는데 저는 길게 하려구요. 묵념이라도 할까요?"

- 어의없는 시상식에 분노표현 ㅋㅋㅋㅋ 묵념에서 배꼽잡았음.

OK, translation is.. well basically most of them I already said in the above post.

The other comments by LJK at the live ceremony that I didn't say before are:

LJK to the girl MC next to him: "I heard you now confirmed on your next drama, would you like to talk about it? But you can't, right? Haha. Because it's from another broad caster, not MBC"

When the girl MC asked LJK about his next drama,

"The broad caster is undecided. Since I'm in MBC right now it'd be good for me to say I wish MBC would broad cast it but you never know."

You'd think he's just trying to joke around, but along with his other comments about the fans, timing, and script...

Man LJK really is trying to slap MBC's face.

But sorry, BYJ fans...

What BYJ did was just plain unethical...

and I am not saying this because I am a KMM fan... :(

I also like BYJ esp in The Legend and WS..

hello piano_lady :)

it is quite unfair and uncalled for to say that what BYJ commented was unethical. he was asked by the emcee of his opinion and he answered "It’s hard for me to make any comments about it, but in my own opinion, I feel like it will be wonderful if SSH can get the award and of course the other actors have done good jobs in their works as well." did you really think that his opinion merited an unethical answer? i think it would really be unethical if he replied "i truly believe that SSH will win" or "SSH deserves the award". please note that he stressed "i feel like it will be wonderful' and "other actors have done good jobs". BYJ did not mean to say that it was only SSH that he wanted to win.

And before KMM even said his comments/thankyous after receiving the award (SSH said his already)

the MC asked BYJ "will you make a comment in Japanese to thank the Japanese fans?" and BYJ did .

to bubbletea's commets above. BYJ did not speak anymore after he announced the winners and there was no japanese words that was said. With regard to the hug, SSH and BYJ have been friends since 2001. Who knows, BYJ might have also given KMM a hug too? But if you watch closely the video, KMM keeps on doing small steps backward.

here's the last 13.44 minutes of the 2008 MBC Drama Awards.

Guest Marikoo

Sure.

I just wanna comment in behalf of the BYJ Japan Family.

Some of the fans there were obviously BYJ fans because they were carrying streamers.

But i disagree that all of the Japanese fans who were there are all BYJ fans.

SSH is very big too in Japan. If you do not know yet, he can gather 10,000 fans without any effort.

I mean to tell you frankly, sometimes the tickets for fan meetings of Hallyu stars here

do not really mean "sold out" events contrary to what are reported in K-media.

Some fan meetings are sold in very low prices just to get the venue full

or just give complementary tickets if they are not sold.

SSH doesnt have to do that and of course we all know BYJ has a very big fan base here.

The tickets for his fan meetings are auctioned online. It is very hard to get a ticket for a BYJ fan meeting.

My point is, not every Japanese fan is a BYJ fan.

P.S. I just listened carefully when i rewatched the clip of the event and i heard that there was a loud cheer

when KMM's name was announced. He has plenty of fans also who were there in the venue.

and i don't believe that the general netizens in S-korea are cursing BYJ. They are just a handful of

bitter people. BYJ has done more good than bad things to their country.

Guest khin myint

--[EDIT]

I honestly feel bad for SoJiSup, even though, like someone above said, it's the HanRyoo YulPoong elite group trying to make money.

SoJiSup just went up the stage to give flowers to SSH, and that was right when KMM was receiving his award, so KMM was cut off from the screen.

So basically people are angry that not only did BYJ randomly popped up to thank Japanese fans while KMM was on the stage about to give his comment,

KMM was also not shown on the screen when he received the award b/c of SJS.

In total, what is happening with Korean Netizens:

HATE: 1. MC, for asking BYJ to thank the Japanese fans in Japanese in middle of giving out the biggest award. 2. BYJ for saying that he wants SSH to win the award, in that ceremony when he's giving out the award. 3. SJS for blocking the view. (and I personally feel bad for SJS... I mean, it wasn't HIS fault...)

LOVE: LJK, for obvious reasons stated above.

I like to comment in behalf of the BYJ & SJS family too:

To me I won't hug anyone unless my close/best friends and family and SJS was so sweet to congrat to his long last friend like a brother to him and he did congraqulate to KMM. Peace out :)

Guest lOveKorea

I'm really disappointed with MBC..not just because of the award sharing thing.

Although La Dolce Vita had low ratings, at least I hoped it would win at the best writer category. It was as good as East of Eden and Beethoven Virus..

*sigh*

Guest Richard_62

MBC has definitely stirred up controversy and shamed their award... KBS and SBS have shown how mercenary MBC is just to appease some actor.

Guest nerdycupid

and i don't believe that the general netizens in S-korea are cursing BYJ. They are just a handful of

bitter people.

But it's true. I mean, you can believe whatever you want, but it is true that the majority of Korean Netizens are angry at MBC, and along with that anger they're also pissed at BYJ.

Netizens are just a fraction of the country anyway, so no they do not represent how the entire country feels.

But among the netizens, the mutual feeling is that MBC award show basically sucked, and BYJ and MC SSY were both bad, and that LJK is a hero.

Just look at any articles regarding the MBC award show at Daum online, the most popular search engine in Korea.

Guest Marikoo

But it's true. I mean, you can believe whatever you want, but it is true that the majority of Korean Netizens are angry at MBC, and along with that anger they're also pissed at BYJ.

Netizens are just a fraction of the country anyway, so no they do not represent how the entire country feels.

But among the netizens, the mutual feeling is that MBC award show basically sucked, and BYJ and MC SSY were both bad, and that LJK is a hero.

Just look at any articles regarding the MBC award show at Daum online, the most popular search engine in Korea.

I don't want to argue with you on this because i am not korean and i don't know how koreans feel.

If you think BYJ is bad and you are taking away the many good things he has done to his country

just by this award thing, i pray to god that in this new year your souls will be blessed.

We are just peace loving people who arent here to make enemies.

I just feel sorry for BYJ. He doesnt deserve a treatment like this.

Archived