Johnny’s Entertainment Expansion Into Korea

elizabeth

I don't know if it should belong in this thread or the music thread so moderators please feel free to move it if possible. I haven't seen this posted yet so I'll go ahead and post it. IMO, I have a feeling there will be more competition going on between if JE & SM if JE expands to Korea.

NO BASHING!! PLEASE KEEP THIS TOPIC CLEAN!!!

Arashi

arashi1op4.jpg

KAT-TUN

kattun2yb5.jpg

NEWS

news1iy9.jpg

SMAP

smap1jp8.jpg

Johnny’s Entertainment expansion into Korea

It looks like SM Entertainment won't be the only one benefiting from expansion into other countries. Just as SM Entertainment is the most dominant record label in Korea with their Allstar lineup, Johnny's Entertainment is SM's equivalent, if not superior, producing the top teen idol bands in Japan.

We've all seen the large boom in Korean entertainment throughout Asia these past couple years, especially with BoA and TVXQ in the Japanese market. Well, Johnny's Entertainment and their hit groups such as Arashi, SMAP and NewS have also been growing quite a strong following in Korea.

Many Korean's prefer the Japanese pop groups because:

"The way a Japanese idol matures along with their fans starting from their junior days, is an amazing thing. There are many Korean fans that prefer Japanese idols instead of the Korean idols that debut perfected."

In any regards, Johnny's Entertainment will be opening a Korean office shortly, which seems to be due to Arashi's huge Korean following, approximately 200,000 fans.

source: allkpop

credits to asianfanatics

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirae-chan

I fear slightly for Yamapi.. *remembers when the Korean fans mobbed him* O_O..

and hyoo, SM's got competition if JE's expanding into their territory..

^ rofl no one can forget yamapi's mob incident x.X

holy crow best news i've heard all week. !!

FORGET SM. I'M ALL FOR JE BOYS <333

man. i would die to see kat-tun and news in korea.

Guest sweetgirl_121

I said this in one of the forums and I would say it again, it is not such a wise move from Johnny to expand in coz Korea is already suffocated with boy groups with different styles, if they are really popular in some counties just let them have concert, it will do enough.

Guest monaero

Johnny's in Korea?! This is like one of my ultimate fantasies come to life!!!

"The way a Japanese idol matures along with their fans starting from their junior days, is an amazing thing. There are many Korean fans that prefer Japanese idols instead of the Korean idols that debut perfected."

That's why I like Johnny's. You feel closer/become attached to the jrs because you're practically growing up with them. It's so much fun watching them mature and grow.

There are many members like Yabu and Hikaru that I've followed since they first entered Johnny's and to have witnessed what they came in as and how they are now, I'm amazed at how much they've changed.

The only downside to that is when your favorite jr leaves/jr group is disbanded *coughYa-Ya-yahcough* it's really heartbreaking.

Guest eyepatch

I love JE and all, but Korea has enough boybands already. I'd rather see Korea's music industry grow and have more talented artists than manufactured pop acts. Not to say that Korea doesn't have talented musicians, but its waaaay too dominated by boybands and girlgroups.

Guest lovebum4life

Je shouldn't waste their time & money in Korea. The music market isn't that great & he's going to be spending more money than he's recieving. I mean Korea doesn't sell very much albums or singles compared to Japan. Even super popular groups like DBSK only sold 300K in album sales. Johnny is so used to selling 500k-1million & I don't think they should spend their time & money there when they aren't going to be recieving very much. That's why so many K-pop artists go to Japan b/c they make more money but why go to an area where you'll make less money. Plus JE is so Japanese that i don't see them conforming into the Korean style. Johnny himself favors short boys over tall boys in JE and in Korea they like really tall men. Johnny is a little bit too overambitious this time :(

Guest lovecubedlee

I don't think it's a good idea...

Korea already has ENOUGH artists as it is...and only a few make it to the top...

And why would a Japanese ent. company want to expand to a tiny country like SK when they're home to..what is it..the SECOND? largest market n the world?

I'm sure SOME people prefer Japanese idols over Korean ones, bu the majority definitely don't.

Guest geishaOo

i love arashi!

and tegomass.

i thought v6 was part of johnny's too?

maybe the ones listed above have the most popularity in korea.

i don't think it hurts to try for je to go to korea.

they have good singers.

and are super good looking.

..I remember watching Yamapi alongside Arashi during their junior days, years before. This is why I too prefer them more.

Guest miki_chan

I love JE and all, but Korea has enough boybands already. I'd rather see Korea's music industry grow and have more talented artists than manufactured pop acts. Not to say that Korea doesn't have talented musicians, but its waaaay too dominated by boybands and girlgroups.

word.

I reckon stay in Japan. But I would love to see them have a try at saying Korean. LOLOL.

Johnny's in Korea?! This is like one of my ultimate fantasies come to life!!!

That's why I like Johnny's. You feel closer/become attached to the jrs because you're practically growing up with them. It's so much fun watching them mature and grow.

There are many members like Yabu and Hikaru that I've followed since they first entered Johnny's and to have witnessed what they came in as and how they are now, I'm amazed at how much they've changed.

The only downside to that is when your favorite jr leaves/jr group is disbanded *coughYa-Ya-yahcough* it's really heartbreaking.

aww man, i miss Ya-Ya-yah.. :(

but yeah, it's like you'll really feel close to them..

Guest babygirl05

This is surprising considering their music market is second only to the U.S. and I prefer them singing in Japanese. The market in SK is nothing compare to them so I don't really see the reason for this expansion. But then again more popularity votes for the boys I guess...I wonder when will the boybands craze in Asia be over although unlikely.

Guest stupidfactory

Woah! I've never expected this. True Korea has tons of boybands already. But, I wouldn't mind JE going over to Korea.

DBSK & Yamapi, twice the hotness. Hahahah.

And yeah, i think Johnny's boybands are pretty popular in Korea. It'll be nice hearing them sing in korean :]

Are these groups going to have to learn Korean? lol

Stay in Japan, boys. It isn't worth it. I mean, Korea's music industry isn't lucrative.

That's what I was thinking too if they're planning to expand is Korea, will they start releasing albums w/ Korean lyrics too? I guess we'll just have to wait..

Archived