Johnny’s Entertainment Expansion Into Korea

elizabeth

Guest sweetgirl_121

I'm delighted to there are some ppl have the same thought as me, I myself feel pissed with mentality that Korea groups & Korean music superior than other language of ppl who are not even Korean themselves, when there are artist who do not possess good voices.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jaejoong.ro02

Yes I know that japan is the 2nd largest music industry in the world but don't you think they (JE) also have the desire of conquering Asia?

Don't disregard the popularity of DBSK in Asia. I have to be honest that chinese and korean artists are more known in Asia than japanese. Maybe because they ONLY concentrate in Japan as you have all said. (I'm a BIG KAT-TUN and NEWS fan). I just find it wrong that some people think that Japan can stand on its own when it comes to music.

It's hard to explain but why not acknowledge the lack of popularity of JEs outside Japan? Why not consider the fact that they also need promotions?

You always say like "They don't need Asia. Japan is enough for them." That's so saddening.

Guest huangmeixi

Yes I know that japan is the 2nd largest music industry in the world but don't you think they (JE) also have the desire of conquering Asia?

Don't disregard the popularity of DBSK in Asia. I have to be honest that chinese and korean artists are more known in Asia than japanese. Maybe because they ONLY concentrate in Japan as you have all said. (I'm a BIG KAT-TUN and NEWS fan). I just find it wrong that some people think that Japan can stand on its own when it comes to music.

It's hard to explain but why not acknowledge the lack of popularity of JEs outside Japan? Why not consider the fact that they also need promotions?

You always say like "They don't need Asia. Japan is enough for them." That's so saddening.

Because they don't.

Japan has a 120 million population that engages very little in pirating China has 1.3 billion with pirating but still, people can sell over a million records there. Korea is the only one where they can't unless they go over to another country.

Why on earth would a company need to 'conquer' Asia when you can't make money?

People have this mentality that SM expanded because they wanted to conquer Asia. No, it was for the money, plain and simple. And you know what? It sucks for Korea, because all his artists spend more than half their time singing in languages Koreans can't understand, all because he wants a profit.

Guest jaejoong.ro02

^ Do you think music is all about money? That's a wrong mentality of people.

More than the album sales and the profit is showing your talent to the world and making people happy. Don't tell me you buy every merchandise your idols are selling. =/

For some artists, their songs being played on the radio is already an accomplishment. The same as when JE is known in Asia. No need to compare Japan to any other Asian countries because you simply cant.

I want to tell the truth. And the truth is Japan is the 2nd largest music industry yet it IS unknown in Asia. Hontoni, Korea is well known because as the news have said, DBSK went around the globe for 60 times already. Ask me the article if you want.

Then, the only way I see for the JEs to show their talent not only in Japan is to travel around. I'm a fan that's why I want them to be known. OK.

Guest reverie_

More than the album sales and the profit is showing your talent to the world and making people happy. Don't tell me you buy every merchandise your idols are selling. =/

For some artists, their songs being played on the radio is already an accomplishment. The same as when JE is known in Asia. No need to compare Japan to any other Asian countries because you simply cant.

I want to tell the truth. And the truth is Japan is the 2nd largest music industry yet it IS unknown in Asia. Hontoni, Korea is well known because as the news have said, DBSK went around the globe for 60 times already. Ask me the article if you want.

Then, the only way I see for the JEs to show their talent not only in Japan is to travel around. I'm a fan that's why I want them to be known. OK.

You go girl. I'm pretty sure Korean groups don't have fans bombarding them in different countries because... their album sales were high...? It's more like a combination of hard work + talent + promotion (interviews, shows, music video, internet)

And you can't compare Korea to Japan or China. They have half the population of Japan and not even close to China...

and believe me, I'm Korean and there's just as much pirating as any other entertainment-run country.

Guest huangmeixi

That's the mentality of Sm and all of the other makers of these boyband manufacturers. I laugh at TVXQ fans who are glad to see them doing well in Japan and think they are there to "conquer Asia". Because they are not there to conquer and leave. They are there to make money. And now that they are at the top, and can consistently make more money in Japan than Korea they will stay more and more in Japan like BoA and less and less in Korea.

And anyway, Japanese bands are well known in China as well. On Chinese sites, there are always four sections of entertainment:

"Mainland, Hong Kong/Taiwan, Japan/Korea, and American".

Guest reverie_

That's the mentality of Sm and all of the other makers of these boyband manufacturers. I laugh at TVXQ fans who are glad to see them doing well in Japan and think they are there to "conquer Asia". Because they are not there to conquer and leave. They are there to make money. And now that they are at the top, and can consistently make more money in Japan than Korea they will stay more and more in Japan like BoA and less and less in Korea.

And anyway, Japanese bands are well known in China as well. On Chinese sites, there are always four sections of entertainment:

"Mainland, Hong Kong/Taiwan, Japan/Korea, and American".

They are not there only to make money. Let me give you the definition of the word "conquer" that can fit into this

situation.

conquer: [verb] to gain, win, or obtain by effort, personal appeal, etc.: conquer the hearts of his audience.

I'm pretty sure the artists benefit from this "conquering" they do besides not making money [because they don't make much]

They've pretty much conquered the hearts of many fans which is obviously evident.

Guest Shiget^

JE is not only well known in China, infact their 2nd biggest fanbase is Thailand. Johnnys already been to thailand last 2002, Tackey & Tsubasa even had a concert there because they were soo huge. KATTUN, Yayayah, KKKitty, ABC were also in that concert. also JE was huge there that Thailand have their own style of JE there thus G juniors were born, more over Golf & Mike were big fans of Tackey & Tsubasa.

even before Arashi had a concert in Taiwan, several Johnnys already had been there again, Tackey & Tsubasa had been there to have a concert, same is with NEWS when they were still 9. JE has many many Chinese fans, half of the international fans are Chinese they have lots of forum just for JE. Taiwan and HongKong manufacture their own versions of JE cds/dvds.

They dont need promotion theres nothing to promote, Japan is still where JE wants. they reason why they go to other countries is that they get invited and that invitation include big amount of money, sure JE would grab it. so yes, its still about the money.

Guest eyepatch

They are not there only to make money. Let me give you the definition of the word "conquer" that can fit into this

situation.

conquer: [verb] to gain, win, or obtain by effort, personal appeal, etc.: conquer the hearts of his audience.

I'm pretty sure the artists benefit from this "conquering" they do besides not making money [because they don't make much]

They've pretty much conquered the hearts of many fans which is obviously evident.

...do you seriously think that DBSK, Super Junior, Boa, and all of the other people signed on to SM make their own decisions as to what countries they want to conquer? Do you think SM lets them make any decisions whatsoever? Why would any sane person decide on their own to have only 3 hours of sleep everyday, go on a plane ride to another country every other week and learn a new language every year just because they want to "conquer the hearts of many fans"? It's obvious that SM is pretty much only using all the people signed to their label to make money. If SM we're really in the music industry for ~da luv of da fanz~, why do they release repackaged versions of the same CD? Why do they sell $100 photobooks? It's because they know that fans will buy it up no matter what.

One thing I like about Japan's music industry is that theres a separate line between idols and actual music artists, whereas Korea's music industry is basically run on idols.

...do you seriously think that DBSK, Super Junior, Boa, and all of the other people signed on to SM make their own decisions as to what countries they want to conquer? Do you think SM lets them make any decisions whatsoever? Why would any sane person decide on their own to have only 3 hours of sleep everyday, go on a plane ride to another country every other week and learn a new language every year just because they want to "conquer the hearts of many fans"? It's obvious that SM is pretty much only using all the people signed to their label to make money. If SM we're really in the music industry for ~da luv of da fanz~, why do they release repackaged versions of the same CD? Why do they sell $100 photobooks? It's because they know that fans will buy it up no matter what.

It's called passion and chasing your own dreams. It's a big risk being in the industry not knowing if you're going to be successful or not. These artists want to work hard because they want to. Sure, money is part of it but if the artist does not have passion for what they do then it's useless.

Why are we even going off topic here?

Guest huangmeixi

One thing I like about Japan's music industry is that theres a separate line between idols and actual music artists, whereas Korea's music industry is basically run on idols.

I agree so much! I used to like TVXQ, like their songs, but I can not, not like them anymore, or their popularity, because they killed kpop. They absolutely destroyed the potential it had, and turned it into what it now is, a mockery of what it used to be ten years ago. Not everyone was a pretty little package. And now, because of them, kpop is flooded with people who are way more popular than they should be, while musicians fighting to get their voice out can't be heard.

I agree so much! I used to like TVXQ, like their songs, but I can not, not like them anymore, or their popularity, because they killed kpop. They absolutely destroyed the potential it had, and turned it into what it now is, a mockery of what it used to be ten years ago. Not everyone was a pretty little package. And now, because of them, kpop is flooded with people who are way more popular than they should be, while musicians fighting to get their voice out can't be heard.

thank u and the person u quoted

this is why I don't care for k-pop anymore with few exceptions.

Guest Tonyc402

I agree 100%. SM is not about the music anymore its about the profits he can make out of it .Sure , YOU'D hope that its just about the music but the music industry has changed so much that its not about the artists as much as it was before. SM knows boybands sell so well because all he has to do is get a few good looking guys , train them to sing and get them to follow good choreography. All boybands are are people who are packaged well. I mean sure maybe 2 out of the 5 band members can write songs but most of the time it isnt so . Thats why I say that boybands get more praise then they actually deserve. Thats why Im disliking KPOP more and more nowadays , its just bombarded with boybands/girlbands be it SHINee, DBSK , WonderGirls, 2PM,2AM, SUJU,XING, KISS, CSJH. Seriously theres so many to list. Music corporations know the market and they'll do whatever it takes to make money because they are looking out for their shareholders.

Guest huangmeixi

I agree 100%. SM is not about the music anymore its about the profits he can make out of it .Sure , YOU'D hope that its just about the music but the music industry has changed so much that its not about the artists as much as it was before. SM knows boybands sell so well because all he has to do is get a few good looking guys , train them to sing and get them to follow good choreography. All boybands are are people who are packaged well. I mean sure maybe 2 out of the 5 band members can write songs but most of the time it isnt so . Thats why I say that boybands get more praise then they actually deserve. Thats why Im disliking KPOP more and more nowadays , its just bombarded with boybands/girlbands be it SHINee, DBSK , WonderGirls, 2PM,2AM, SUJU,XING, KISS, CSJH. Seriously theres so many to list. Music corporations know the market and they'll do whatever it takes to make money because they are looking out for their shareholders.

TVXQ can't write songs. Everything they write just seems like an SM ploy to get people to say they are not just pretty faces. Because you know they are following HOT, who by their third album composed everything and they'll just look bad otherwise. But mostly TVXQ writes lyrics, which is not really that hard if you are just writing it for one song per album. And they haven't composed anything that sounds good (except Micky's evergreen...he has the most potential, but it's not saying much at all.)

Guest Tonyc402

TVXQ can't write songs. Everything they write just seems like an SM ploy to get people to say they are not just pretty faces. Because you know they are following HOT, who by their third album composed everything and they'll just look bad otherwise. But mostly TVXQ writes lyrics, which is not really that hard if you are just writing it for one song per album. And they haven't composed anything that sounds good (except Micky's evergreen...he has the most potential, but it's not saying much at all.)

Plus with all the travelling they do , all the variety shows they attend . Do people actually think they even have the time to even write songs?

I agree.. I still like the K-pop industries but I don't listen to it much anymore. I also agree on the part where you said that other artists who tries to bring their voices out can't be heard. I feel like Korea doesn't pay much attention to those type of singer instead they focus more on something else. IMO, please don't get me wrong, K-pop music is following the American Western image. I do hope that once JE emerge to Korea, I hope they bring in something different from what we keep seeing in the K-pop music industries. One thing I like about the J-pop music is that they have a lot of varieties and different type of music.. from inka(I think that's how you spell it), to r & b, hip-hop, rock, and so many more..

Thank you!

Now it's not even that it's the boy/girl bands its also that they are way WAY overhyped, overrated etc etc.

I could see if they actually deserved 75% of their fame but like Tony said they get more credit than they deserve, it's all about the profits, its all about the looks, this is why the music industry (Worldwide) is close to dead and k-pop is playing a huge part in the problem, I know people will say "What about JE?" sure most of the guys are overrated but Japan's industry has people with actual talents like Larc en Ciel, Mr. Children, Kinki Kids, Utada Hikaru, Mika Nakashima who actually get recognition they deserve to back them up.

You know it's a problem when you have people like SNSD and Wondergirls outselling people like Big Mama, you know something is wrong when Lee Hyori is outselling Lim Jeong Hee.

Guest Tonyc402

Thank you!

Now it's not even that it's the boy/girl bands its also that they are way WAY overhyped, overrated etc etc.

I could see if they actually deserved 75% of their fame but like Tony said they get more credit than they deserve, it's all about the profits, its all about the looks, this is why the music industry (Worldwide) is close to dead and k-pop is playing a huge part in the problem, I know people will say "What about JE?" sure most of the guys are overrated but Japan's industry has people with actual talents like Larc en Ciel, Mr. Children, Kinki Kids, Utada Hikaru, Mika Nakashima to back them up.

Yes, it also bores me to the fact that MOST KPOP artists are just POP/RNB. I mean atleast for the Japanese artists they actually have a lot of variety , pop , rock , metal , rap , rnb, disco, visual k, inka. Sorry but to me now , all KPOP is is another image of American music.

Archived