Jeon Do-Yeon 전도연 [Drama “Crash Course in Romance” | Movie “Kill Boksoon” (NETFLIX)]

Helena

The 31st Buil Film Awards 제 31회 부일영화상 (2022) [Nominations]

[ Homepage | instagram | facebook ]
 Date: 2022-10-06

-> For films released from August 11, 2021 to August 10, 2022 <-

http://www.busan.com/view/busan/view.php?code=2022082818253886877

54C7091A-6421-416F-8764-E874F723D604.jpg

* Best Film 최우수작품상
'In Front of Your Face | 당신얼굴 앞에서'

'Broker | 브로커'

'Emergency Declaration | 비상선언'

'Hansan: Rising Dragon | 한산: 용의 출현'

‘Decision to Leave | 헤어질 결심'

* Best Director 최우수감독상

Kore-eda Hirokazu 고레에다 히로카즈 (‘Broker | 브로커')
Kim Han-min 김한민 ('Hansan: Rising Dragon | 한산: 용의 출현')
Park Chan-wook 박찬욱 ('Decision to Leave | 헤어질 결심')
Byun Sung-hyun 변성현 ('Kingmaker | 킹메이커')
Hong Sang-soo 홍상수 ('In Front of Your Face | 당신얼굴 앞에서')

* Best Leading Actor 남우주연상
Park Hae-il 박해일 ('Decision to Leave | 헤어질 결심’)
Seol Kyung-gu 설경구 ('Kingmaker | 킹메이커')
Song Kang-ho 송강호 ('Broker | 브로커')
Jung Woo-sung 정우성 (‘HUNT | 헌트’)
Cho Jin-woong 조진웅 (‘The Policeman's Lineage | 경관의 피’)

* Best Leading Actress 여우주연상
Lee Jung-eun 이정은 ('Hommage | 오마주')
Lee Hye-young 이혜영 ('In Front of Your Face | 당신얼굴 앞에서')
Jeon Do-yeon 전도연 (‘Emergency Declaration | 비상선언’)
Chun Woo-hee 천우희 ('Anchor | 앵커')
Tang Wei 탕웨이 ('Decision to Leave | 헤어질 결심')

* Best Supporting Actor 남우조연상
Kwon Hae-hyo 권해효 ('Hommage | 오마주')
Park Ji-hwan 박지환 ('The Roundup | 범죄도시2')
Im Si-wan 임시완 (‘Emergency Declaration | 비상선언’)
Jo Woo-jin 조우진 ('Kingmaker | 킹메이커')
Heo Sung-tae 허성태 (‘HUNT | 헌트’)

* Best Supporting Actress 여우조연상
Kim So-jin 김소진 (‘Emergency Declaration | 비상선언’)
Yum Jung-ah 염정아 (‘Alienoid | 외계+인 1부)
Lee Soo-kyung 이수경 ('Miracle | 기적')
Lee Joo-Young 이주영 (‘Broker | 브로커’)
Jeon Hye-jin 전혜진 (‘HUNT | 헌트’)

* Best New Director 신인 감독상
Yoon Seo-jin 윤서진 (‘Chorokbam | 초록밤‘)
Lee Ran-hee 이란희 ('A Leave | 휴가')
Lee Woo-jung 이우정 ('Snowball | 최선의 삶')
Lee Jung-jae 이정재 (‘HUNT | 헌트’)
Jo Eun-ji 조은지 ('Perhaps Love | 장르만 로맨스')

* Best New Actor 신인남자연기상

Kim Dong-hwi 김동휘 ('In Our Prime | 이상한 나라의 수학자')
Son Suk-ku 손석구 ('The Roundup | 범죄도시2')
Lee Hong-nae 이홍내 ('Hot Blooded | 뜨거운 피')
Lee Hyo-je 이효제 (‘Good Person | 좋은 사람’)
Tang Jun-sang 탕준상 ('Hommage | 오마주')

* Best New Actress 신인여자연기상
Go Youn-jung 고윤정 (‘HUNT | 헌트’)
Kim Hye-yoon 김혜윤 ('The Girl on a Bulldozer | 불도저에 탄 소녀')
Bang Min-ah 방민아 ('Snowball | 최선의 삶')
Lee Ji-eun 아이유 ('Broker | 브로커')
Choi Sung-eun 최성은 ('Ten Months | 십개월의 미래')

* Best Screenplay 각본상
Kore-eda Hirokazu 고레에다 히로카즈 (‘Broker | 브로커')
Byun Sung-hyun 변성현, Kim Min-soo 김민수 ('Kingmaker | 킹메이커')
Lee Jung-jae 이정재, Cho Seung-hee 조승희 (‘HUNT | 헌트’)
Chung Seo-kyung 정서경, Park Chan-wook 박찬욱 ('Decision to Leave | 헤어질 결심')
Jung Wook 정욱 (‘Good Person | 좋은 사람’)

* Best Cinematography 촬영상
Kim Ji-yong 김지용 ('Decision to Leave | 헤어질 결심')
Kim Tae-sung 김태성 ('Hansan: Rising Dragon | 한산: 용의 출현')
Lee Mo-gae 이모개 ('Emergency Declaration | 비상선언')
Cho Hyung-rae 조형래  ('Kingmaker | 킹메이커')
Hong Kyung-pyo 홍경표 ('Broker | 브로커')

* Best Music 음악상
Kim Jong-yeon 김종연 (‘LIMECRIME | 라임크라임’) 
Lee Dong-joon 이동준 (‘Perhaps Love | 장르만 로맨스’) 
Jang Young-gyu 장영규 (‘Alienoid | 외계+인 1부)
Jung Jae-il 정재일 (‘Broker | 브로커’)
Cho Young-wook 조영욱 ('Decision to Leave | 헤어질 결심')

* Best Art Direction & Technical 미술/기술상

Art Direction 미술 | Park Il-hyun 박일현 (‘HUNT | 헌트’)
Art Direction 미술 | Ryu Sung-hee 류성희 ('Decision to Leave | 헤어질 결심')
VFX | Jung Sung-jin 정성진, Jung Cheol-min 정철민 ('Hansan: Rising Dragon | 한산: 용의 출현')
VFX | Je Gal-seung 제갈승 (‘Alienoid | 외계+인 1부’)

Art Direction 미술 | Han Ah-reum 한아름 ('Kingmaker | 킹메이커')

* Popular Actor 남자 인기스타상

* Popular Actress 여자 인기스타상

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/09/01/entertainment/movies/Emergency-Declaration-Coupang-Play/20220901143623601.html
'Emergency Declaration' available exclusively on Coupang Play from Sept. 7

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr] | September 1, 2022

5517CA02-B696-48EB-B9F2-841E0B8255D9.jpg
▲This photo, provided by Coupang Play, shows poster of 'Emergency Declaration.' (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Director Han Jae-rim’s “Emergency Declaration” will be exclusively available on local streaming platform Coupang Play from 8 p.m. on Sept. 7. 

“Emergency Declaration” revolves around passengers on a plane flying from Incheon to Hawaii when an unidentifiable virus begins to quickly spread and infect people through their respiratory passages. In the face of disaster, the passengers, flight attendants and pilots must find a way to land the plane safely and quickly to minimize the number of casualties. Back on land, government officials and regular citizens must decide how they will respond to the situation. 

The film was invited for the Midnight Screening section at the 74th Cannes International Film Festival along with the star-studded cast of Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon, Yim Si-wan and Park Hae-jun.

Hansan: Rising Dragon,” which is director Kim Han-min’s second film of his trilogy depicting Korea’s much celebrated historical figure Yi Sun-shin (1545-1598) which garnered more than 7 million tickets since its release in July 27, was also exclusively released on the platform on Monday.

• Helena changed the title to Jeon Do-Yeon 전도연 [Upcoming: Movie “Kill Boksoon” & Sat-Sun Drama “Crash Course in Romance” (tvN, Jan 14 @ 9:10pm)]

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20221228000513
Terrestrial broadcaster ups the ante for 2023
From rom-com to suspense thrillers, Korean broadcasters gear up for next ‘Extraordinary Attorney Woo’ and ‘Reborn Rich’

By Lee Si-jin (sj_lee@heraldcorp.com) | Dec 28, 2022

E72A967A-4020-4D01-BBA0-C7FEB8BFE405.jpg
Haeng-sun in "Crash Course in Romance" (tvN)

Receiving unprecedented attention from international viewers, South Korean TV series are hoping to continue the winning streak with more unique and thrilling stories, the return of top movie stars to the small screen and spinoffs of beloved dramas.

Cable channel tvN’s “Crash Course in Romance” is scheduled to entertain viewers starting at the beginning of 2023.

Starring the Cannes-winning actress Jeon Do-yeon, who returns to a romance series after 17 years since SBS’ mega-hit drama “Lovers in Prague,” and “Hospital Playlist” star Jung Kyung-ho, the upcoming series revolves around a former national handball player Haeng-sun (played by Jeon), who starts a new life as a banchan (Korean side dishes) shop owner.

Trying to support her daughter, high school student Haeng-sun meets Chi-yeul (played by Jung), a top cram school teacher, and finds herself involved in an unexpected romance.

The rom-com series premieres on Jan. 14, 2023 at 9:10 p.m. on tvN.

Spoiler

Terrestrial broadcaster MBC’s “The Lover” (unofficial translation) may be one of the channel’s most anticipated series in 2023.  Starring go-to actor Namkoong Min, who won the grand prize in 2020 SBS Drama Awards with “Hot Stove League” and 2021 MBC Drama Awards with “The Veil” and successfully finished “One Dollar Lawyer” series in November, the project is a period drama featuring the romance of the lead characters during the Joseon period.  “Kingdom” and “Hospital Playlist” star Ahn Eun-jin co-stars as the female lead in “The Lover.”  Though the exact date of release is yet to be announced, Namkoong did not hide his excitement for the upcoming series, posting an image of the new script on his Instagram.

Hoping to continue the “Reborn Rich” craze, cable channel JTBC is releasing a spinoff of its beloved series.  “Strong Woman Kang Nam-soon” features a new female lead Nam-soon, who is a long-distant relative of Do Bong-soon of the 2017-hit rom-com “Strong Woman Do Bong-soon.”  JTBC hopes to expand its popular IP, which allowed the broadcaster to reach the highest amount of viewers in 2017.  Emmy-winning actor Lee You-mi plays Nam-soon, who was born with super-strength and handles the rise of drug crimes with her family.

Terrestrial broadcaster SBS joined hands with star screenwriter Kim Eun-hee, hoping to make the suspense thriller “The Devil” (working title), the company's biggest hit series in 2023.  SBS’ upcoming series centers around a hard-working, young woman San-young, who starts to experience an extraordinary life after receiving her father’s memento, getting caught up in the mysterious death.  Kim Tae-ri, who was behind many acclaimed projects including “Mr. Sunshine” (2018) and “Twenty-Five Twenty-One,” plays the female lead in “The Devil.”  The release date is yet to be decided.

Local broadcasting and creative content industries’ desire to continue the global popularity of local drama series, a phenomenon brought on by such hits as “Squid Game” (2021) led to a string of smash-hit series such as “Business Proposal,” “Extraordinary Attorney Woo,” “Under the Queen’s Umbrella” and “Reborn Rich" which enjoyed great popularity both at home and abroad.

• 2 weeks later...

=> https://www.netflix.com/title/81649877 <=

8C6A585D-E4F2-487B-AD72-3ED5B23EF149.jpg

Coming Saturday
Opposites attract in this romance starring Jeon Do-yeon and Jung Kyung-ho.

Videos | Crash Course in Romance

More Details
Genres: Korean, Romantic TV Comedies, TV Comedies
This show is: Quirky, Romantic
Cast: Jeon Do-yeon, Jung Kyung-ho, Noh Yoon-seo, Oh Eui-sik, Lee Bong-ryeon, Shin Jae-ha, Jang Young-nam, Kim Sun-young, Hwang Bo-ra, Lee Chae-min

——

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2023/01/688_343069.html
Series with stars returning to small screen to air in January

By Lee Gyu-lee | 2023-01-05

Spoiler

30F9D5C4-A20C-4562-8479-6EC5DAB9BC3B.jpg

From left, posters for SBS series "Payback," MBC series "Kokdu: Season of Deity," and ENA series "Can We Be Strangers" / Courtesy of SBS, MBC, ENA

A number of actors, including Jeon Do-yeon, Lee Sun-kyun, Moon Chae-won, Kang So-ra, and Kim Jung-hyun, are making small-screen comebacks with a list of upcoming series set for this month. 

SBS will drop its first series of the year, "Payback," starring Lee and Moon. This will be the first TV series in four years for Lee and three years for Moon.

The legal action series, which will premiere on Friday, revolves around investment manager Eun Yong (Lee) who owns and runs a private equity firm, and military judicial officer Park Joon-kyung (Moon), who is a former prosecutor.

After her mother takes her own life, Joon-kyung moves to find the truth and take revenge on the people who drove her mother to suicide. Joining hands, Joon-kyung and Yong go against a dark, powerful financial cartel and shed light on its corrupt practices.

The series is led by filmmaker Lee Won-tae, whose work includes the thriller flick "The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil" (2019), and is written by Kim Won-suk, who co-scripted the smash-hit series "Descendants of the Sun."

3A53559F-1335-4B3D-B286-74DB0186CD87.jpg
A scene from the series "Crash Course in Romance" / Courtesy of tvN

Jeon has picked the romantic comedy series, "Crash Course in Romance," as her first small screen work since the 2021 drama, "Lost."

The tvN series, set to start airing on Jan. 14, follows the story of a single mother, Nam Haeng-sun (Jeon), who is a former national team handball player. After giving up her sports career to raise her daughter and look after her sick brother, she has been running a small, side-dish food shop to make ends meet. 

When her teenage daughter tries to receive a lecture from a celebrity math instructor, Choi Chi-yeol (Jung Kyung-ho), Haeng-sun steps into the cutthroat world of private education for high schoolers. 

This is the third series for which director Yu Je-won and scriptwriter Yang Hee-seung are joining hands, following the rom-com series "High School King of Savvy" (2014), and "Oh My Ghost" (2015).

Spoiler

MBC's first series of this year will be the fantasy romance series "Kokdu: Season of Deity," which is scheduled to go on air on Jan. 27. This is the first series in three years for Kim Jung-hyun since the hit series "Mr. Queen" (2020).  The rom-com series will revolve around a god of death called Kokdu (Kim), which comes back from the underworld every 99 years, and ER doctor Han Gye-jeol (Im Soo-hyang).  Kokdu wakes up in the body of a successful surgeon, Do Jin-woo, in the human world and gets himself romantically involved with Gye-jeol as working together at the same hospital.  The series is led by director Baek Soo-chan, whose work includes the mystery romance series "The Girl Who Sees Scents" (2015) and the action series "Alice" (2020), and is co-scripted by Heo Joon-woo and Kang Yi-hun who both wrote the 2018 crime series "Less Than Evil." 

Actress Kang has taken on her first TV series, "Can We Be Strangers," in about six years since playing the lead in the 2017 rom-com "Revolutionary Love." The new series of ENA, set to debut on Jan. 18, will follow the love and life of lawyers specifically dealing with divorce cases, Oh Ha-ra (Kang) and Ku Eun-beom (Jang Seung-jo).  Ha-ra is a successful lawyer who has gone through a divorce herself with Eung-beom. She is eager to find new love after a failed marriage, but her plan meets a huge obstacle when her ex-husband joins her law firm, leading them to work together as colleagues.  The series is directed by Kim Yang-hee, whose previous work is the black comedy, one-episode series "On the Way to the Gynecologist," and is written by the newcomer Park Sa-rang.

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065590402380345
Photos of cast, screenwriter and director during press conference of tvN drama 'Crash Course in Romance'

YonhapNews / 2023-01-09 14:20:03

These photos, provided by tvN, show the director, screenwriter and cast members of tvN's new drama "Crash Course in Romance." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap) 
F33AFB7A-0016-4DB0-A6A1-9C16FBB3CFF7.jpg

Spoiler

6A6E0D87-CD3F-4CB0-9747-ADDEDACFB83D.jpg

BBBF8A20-9635-467A-8583-B70626629066.jpg

90FE5F87-4E14-480B-A6AD-4F5622A627C9.jpg

88592CFB-1AD4-469E-88F0-89FAA3F383BE.jpg

0C87EE9B-CD2D-45D0-8582-3207C4F623D2.jpg

23F84A01-1CB4-4DD6-A1BB-854E695B5398.jpg

A64691DD-C808-4662-9412-8AB7366E69A0.jpg

446E6192-BE9A-4FF9-8D1E-3E1BEDAE1036.jpg

F2AD49EC-1516-4F6E-91AA-655F9015EE67.jpg

ADE1ED0E-673A-408F-B5BC-31C6C5D295C1.jpg

986C99B2-9224-4C25-84C8-D3413DC593BA.jpg

1D506099-6EF0-4847-B017-8C5AB6230614.jpg

(END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20230109006100315
Actress Jeon Do-yeon returns with Tving drama 'Crash Course in Romance'

By Kim Eun-jung (ejkim@yna.co.kr) | January 09, 2023

4DA3BA2E-A91B-4199-ADF3-F77B3CBDF82C.jpg
The poster of Tving drama "Crash Course in Romance" is seen in this photo provided by the streaming service. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Jan. 9 (Yonhap) -- Actress Jeon Do-yeon is coming back as a lovely mom in the upcoming Tving drama "Crash Course in Romance," which follows people who deal with the fierce competition to get into prestigious universities.

The drama, directed by Yoo Je-won, behind rom-com "Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha" (2021), revolves around private academies, called hagwon in Korean, where students are in tough competition to enter elite universities. Their parents are also involved in helping their children get on top of the game.

Jeon plays Nam Haeng-seon, a former national handball player who now operates a side dish shop and tries to support her daughter in high school.

Jung Kyung-ho stars as well-known math instructor Choi Chi-yeol, who has an eating disorder and regularly visits Nam's shop.

The 50-year-old Jeon said she sympathized with the story about a mother who sacrifices herself for her family.

"I once asked whether the story surrounding the competition for college entrance exams was based on true stories. It was a new world that was hard to believe," Jeon said during an online press conference Monday.

The Cannes-award winning actress, who has appeared in several acclaimed films, said she was drawn to the bright character but felt the burden of playing a role unfamiliar to her.

"When I was offered to play my first bright character in a long time, I had many thoughts about whether I could do this well," she said. "I thought it would be the kind of drama that would allow viewers to discover unknown parts of me."

Jung plays the math instructor who looks perfect and cold, but is warm and friendly at other times, similar to his sugar-and-ice personality seen in drama series "Hospital Playlist" (2020-21) and the film "Men of Plastic" (2022).

"I watched video clips of star instructors to learn their teaching styles," Jung said. "Writing on a blackboard was one of the difficult parts, as I had never done it before."

The first two episodes of "Crash Course in Romance" will air on Tving on Saturday and Sunday. (END)

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2023/01/688_343319.html
Jeon Do-yeon takes on lighthearted rom-com role with 'Crash Course in Romance'

By Lee Gyu-lee | 2023-01-10

7CEC02F5-C79B-4F52-8563-B9EEE70FDE15.jpg
Actors Jeon Do-yeon, left, and Jung Kyung-ho pose during an online press conference for tvN's new series "Crash Course in Romance," Monday. Courtesy of tvN

Actress Jeon Do-yeon has taken on her first role in a romantic comedy series in about 18 years with tvN's new series "Crash Course in Romance." 

"When I got the script for this series, I was drawn to its sparkly story," Jeon said during an online press conference for the series, Monday. "At the same time, I couldn't even remember the last time I had gotten a script for a lighthearted piece. So I felt overwhelmed with concerns about if I could pull it off."

The series, set to premiere on Jan. 14, revolves around a former national handball player, Nam Haeng-sun (Jeon), who is now running a small food shop to raise her high school daughter alone. When her daughter tries to get into a private education course, run by a celebrity math instructor, Choi Chi-yeol (Jung Kyung-ho), Haeng-sun steps into the cutthroat world of private education for high schoolers while becoming entangled in a relationship with Chi-yeol.

Director Yu Je-won has joined hands with scriptwriter Yang Hee-seung for a third time since the rom-com series "High School King of Savvy" (2014), and "Oh My Ghost" (2015).

The writer said that the series will touch on different portrayals of students in the competitive world of education who seek to get into a good college. 

"(The series) will not only have romance but will also touch on the struggles of students as it revolves around college admission. In the end, it will be a story about people's lives," she said. "I have a son and when I visited institutions in the private education system, it was a whole new world. So, I felt that a story about a warmhearted family offering each other synergy and warm energy in the competitive world of college admissions will draw viewers to resonate with the series."

552BEA66-7B14-4ABF-9FE6-76D8E0E81A19.jpg
A poster for the series "Crash Course in Romance" / Courtesy of tvN

Jeon said she was drawn to her realistic character, adding that she has a lot of similarities with Haeng-sun. 

"The writer told me that she wanted Haeng-sun to be a realistic person. She wasn't the character that was so far off from me. I felt that we are alike so I decided to take the role," she said.

Saying that portraying the lovely side of her character was the hardest part, Jeon said, "I had some doubts on how far I could actually go (in expressing the lovely side), so it felt a little awkward and didn't fully feel comfortable. So, I'm worried about how viewers will take it. You will see a side of me that you've probably never seen before."

The lead actors talked about their on-set chemistry, expressing their contentment with working together for the first time. 

"At first, I wasn't able to fully put myself into the character and the story. But Jung led me into the world of 'Crash Course in Romance' so I was able to get used to the set and the surroundings quickly," Jeon said. 

Jung said he learned from Jeon's acting. "Nowadays everything changes so quickly and I've been unconsciously trying to keep up with the changes," he said. "But I grew up watching Jeon's acting and when I saw her signature laugh and breathing, I came to cherish the things that don't change."

"Crash Course in Romance" airs Saturday and Sunday at 9:10 p.m.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230110000551
Jeon Do-yeon excited to return with romance series after 17 years

By Lee Si-jin (sj_lee@heraldcorp.com) | Jan 10, 2023 

CA2EB41E-3F2F-4672-A935-432CF80F5754.jpg
Jeon Do-yeon poses for photos before an online press conference Monday. (tvN)

Jeon Do-yeon shared a mixed bag of emotions about her long-anticipated return to a romance series in “Crash Course in Romance.”

“It has been a very long time to read a script with bright stories. I was simply drawn to the series’ bright, positive energy,” Jeon said during an online press conference Monday. “My character revealed some of the sides that I had forgotten for a long time.”

The Cannes-winning actor shared that she felt pressure and questioned herself as to whether she could play the character as the production staff imagined her. Jeon added that she was thrilled and curious to see how her fans and viewers would react to her return in a romance series.

The upcoming “Crash Course in Romance” revolves around former national handball player Haeng-sun (Jeon) starting a new life as the owner of a shop selling Korean side dishes.

Hoping to support her high school student daughter, Haeng-sun meets Chi-yeol (Jung Kyung-ho), a top cram school teacher, and finds herself involved in an unexpected romance.

CB813802-6EA9-475E-9BD4-0E7CD99A0CEB.jpg
Jeon Do-yeon (right) plays former national handball player Haeng-sun in "Crash Course in Romance." (tvN)

36601E03-383B-453B-935C-89FEF43B38AD.jpg
From left: Actor Jeon Do-yeon, screenwriter Yang Hee-seung, director Yoo Je-won and actor Jung Kyung-ho pose for photos before an online press conference Monday. (tvN)

Screenwriter Yang Hee-seung said that many of her stories are inspired by her daily life, and that “Crash Course in Romance” was no different.

“I have a son. And I have seen the world of private education academies," Yang said, explaining the fierce competition among young Koreans to secure high scores in school and on the nationwide college aptitude test held in November.

“Though the place seems a little cold-hearted, I wanted to bring a warm atmosphere with a good story with which many students, teachers and parents can empathize," the screenwriter added.

Jeon, 50, wondered whether the show was based on true stories, adding it was a story she had difficulty believing.

Director Yoo Je-won, who has worked with Yang on two other drama series -- “High School King of Savvy” (2014) and “Oh My Ghost” (2015) -- said the upcoming project offers more than just romance.

“Our series hopes to present the stories of ordinary lives. ‘Crash Course in Romance’ shows friendships, a glimpse of teacher-student relationship in Korea and the love for family,” Yoo said.

Spoiler

A4AE3FD7-9A4E-494F-B53E-5CDAC53DFD3D.jpg

Jeon Do-yeon (left) and Jung Kyung-ho pose for photos before an online press conference Monday. (tvN)

While revealing his excitement co-starring with the Cannes-winning actor, “Hospital Playlist” star Jung Kyung-ho said playing a well-known math teacher was quite challenging.

“I sat in at a cram school math class and referenced a popular teacher. But writing so much on the chalkboard was something that I had never done in my life. And even simple memorization of the lines wasn’t an easy task either,” Jung said, adding that he realized once again that math was not for him.

Meanwhile, the screenwriter assured that Jung is ready to mesmerize viewers as top cram school teacher Chi-yeol.

“Crash Course in Romance” premieres Saturday at 9:10 p.m. on tvN. The upcoming series is also to be available on Tving and Netflix.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2023/01/689_343626.html
'Kill Boksoon' to screen at 73rd Berlin Film Festival

By Kwak Yeon-soo | 2023-01-15

777B0795-4FF3-4D4C-A6A8-FFC62DEAB5CC.jpg
A scene from the film, "Kill Boksoon" / Courtesy of Netflix

Director Byun Sung-hyun's Netflix film, "Kill Boksoon," was invited to screen at the 73rd Berlin International Film Festival, which will run from Feb. 16 to 26. 

The film will be presented as part of the Berlinale Special program, a non-competitive section of the festival that includes "documentary, feature and short films that elevate and explore cinema as an art form." 

Some recognizable titles for this year's program include: Guy Nattiv's "Golda," Andrea Di Stefano's "Last Night of Amore" and Mario Martone's "Massimo Troisi: Somebody Down There Likes Me."

"Kill Boksoon" stars Jeon Do-yeon, who won the best actress award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2007 for her performance in "Secret Sunshine." 

In the upcoming action thriller, she will star as single mother and hired killer who struggles to find work-life balance. Actor Seol Kyung-gu, a frequent collaborator of director Byun who starred in "The Merciless" (2017) and "Kingmaker" (2021), will play the role of the head of the contract killing agency. 

Byun's earlier film, "The Merciless," was invited to the Midnight Screening section at the Cannes Film Festival in 2017. "It was totally unexpected, but I am ecstatic to see our film recognized. I hope this comes as a great surprise to the actors who worked tirelessly for the film,'" the director said in a statement. 

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230114000043
'Kill Boksoon' invited to Berlin International Film Festival

By Kim Hae-yeon (hykim@heraldcorp.com) | Jan 14, 2023

CB44C335-8F16-4074-9FDA-E88477290E24.jpg
A scene from the film "Kill Boksoon" (Netflix)

The 2023 Berlin International Film Festival has added Netflix' film "Kill Boksoon" at its Berlinale Special program, according to Netflix on Saturday.

Selections for the Berlinale Special include documentary, feature and short films that elevate and explore cinema as an art form. The special films also try to reconnect the audience with beloved characters or people while reflecting upon current topics or history.

A total of eight films have been invited to the program this year, including American-British biographical drama, “Golda,” French comedy-drama “Call My Agent!” and Andrea Di Stefano’s Italian crime feature, “Last Night of Amore.”

Director Byun Sung-hyun’s “Kill Boksoon,” stars Cannes 2007 best actress winner Jeon Do-yeon as a legendary female contract killer, who is hired by Sol Kyung-gu, the head of the contract killing agency.

The story unfolds around Kill receiving a problematic case to solve. The killer gets stuck in a no-win dilemma situation just before signing a contract renewal with the agency.

"I was thrilled to hear such unexpected news, and want to thank (the festival) for recognizing the film," the director said, adding that it will be a great surprise to the actors who worked for the film.

The 73rd Berlin International Film Festival is scheduled to be held from Feb. 16 to 26, in Berlin as an in-person event.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2023/01/14/2023011400413.html
Jeon Do-yeon Returns in 'Lighter' Role

english.chosun.com | January 14, 2023 08:27

7E58759C-6B1D-4FE6-9FD5-3F229BBCC79E.jpg
Jeon Do-yeon

Actress Jeon Do-yeon is set to appear in cable channel tvN's upcoming romantic comedy series slated for airing on Saturday. 

It marks a return to the type of role once considered her signature, after spending many years working mostly on somewhat serious dramas and films.

"Crash Course in Romance" revolves around the owner of a shop selling side dishes who gets involved with one of her patrons, a lecturer at a private crammer.

In a recent interview, Jeon described her character as "a bright and positive person who lives life diligently."

When asked about her chemistry with the series' male lead, Jung Kyung-ho, Jeon praised his "kindness and gentle manner," saying, "I felt comfortable working with him. It was like I'd known him for a long time."

Jeon added the series is not just a simple love story, as its positive and warm-hearted theme would be a treat for families to watch together.

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/netflix-takes-k-content-to-new-heights-with-2023-slate
Netflix Takes K-Content to New Heights with 2023 Slate

By Joe Cho (hcho@netflix.com), Communications | 16 January 2023

F8D2D6AA-524A-4D5C-83C6-DDA04E60EC29.jpg

The global fandom for K-content is continuing to grow, with over 60 percent of all Netflix members watching Korean titles last year. Looking ahead at 2023, Netflix is debuting a diverse array of Korean TV series, films and unscripted shows. Today, we’re showcasing 34 upcoming titles, including eye-popping original productions alongside returning fan favorites, in our biggest-ever lineup of Korean films and series.

New series and returning favorites

Survival has become a recurring theme across some of the top series, whether it’s battling monsters during the dark days of 1945 in Gyeongseong Creature (https://about.netflix.com/en/news/gyeongseong-creature-netflix-ups-the-ante-with-exciting-creature-thriller), struggling to breathe in the dystopian future of sci-fi series Black Knight, or fighting to protect Joseon during Japanese colonial rule in action drama Song of the Bandits.

Fans are set to rejoice with the return of highly anticipated series Sweet Home, D.P., and The Glory this year. Part 2 of revenge drama The Glory will be released in March, with Part 1 being the most-watched non-English TV show during the week of January 2 with 82.48 million viewing hours. Sweet Home, which set new benchmarks for the creature genre in Korea, will return with an expanded world and story while D.P. brings back the cast from the first season to continue chasing after deserters.

“The global popularity of K-content has continued apace over 2022, with Netflix bringing a wider variety of stories and genres to fans around the world. Over the last year, Korean series and films have regularly featured in our Global Top 10 list in more than 90 countries, and three of Netflix’s most-watched shows ever are from Korea. This year, we’re pushing the envelope even further with the stories we tell and how we tell them. With this lineup of Korean titles, Netflix will continue to be the ultimate destination for compelling, diverse and must-watch Korean storytelling,” said Don Kang, VP of Content (Korea).

Other new series this year run the gamut of romance (A Time Called You, Behind Your Touch (WT), Crash Course in Romance, Destined With You, Doona!, King the Land, Love to Hate You, See You In My 19th Life), social commentary and intrigue (Bloodhounds, Celebrity, Mask Girl), drama (Daily Dose of Sunshine, Queenmaker, The Good Bad Mother),and apocalyptic (Goodbye Earth).

More films, more unscripted shows, more choice

The past year has seen Korean movies and unscripted shows becoming increasingly popular with global audiences. Action thriller Carter was one of the top 10 most-watched non-English films last year, while dating reality show Singles Inferno is currently sitting in the Global Non-English Top 10.

This year, Netflix is expanding its film offering with six Korean movies, kicking off with sci-fi thriller JUNG-E on January 20, followed by Kill Boksoon which depicts a professional killer with conflicting maternal instincts, and Believer 2, a sequel to a crime action thriller revolving around drug gangs. Other films explore the topics of revenge (Ballerina), teacher-student rivalry (The Match), and hacking (Unlocked).

Meanwhile those who love living vicariously will be spoilt for choice with a dazzling lineup of reality shows, spanning endurance (Physical:100, Siren: Survive the Island), zombie survival (Zombieverse) coming of age (Nineteen to Twenty), and mind games (The Devil’s Plan).

There are also two new documentaries coming out. Yellow Door: Looking for Director Bong’s Unreleased Short Film (working title) traces the quest for Oscar-winning director Bong Joon-Ho’s debut film while true-crime documentary In the Name of God: A Holy Betrayal explores the self-proclaimed ‘messiahs’ in modern Korean history.

“We are very excited over the variety of the titles that we’re sharing with our members,” said Kang. “There’s truly a series, a film or an unscripted show for everyone, and we look forward to our Korean shows connecting to fans both overseas and at home.”

Find out more details about each show in the Appendix.

Spoiler

New year, new batch of K-content on Netflix to look forward to! Get ready, because it’s going to be never-ending fun with Netflix all throughout 2023

Series:

• LOVE TO HATE YOU (Feb 10) starring Kim Ok-vin, Yoo Teo, Kim Ji-hun, and Go Won-hee.
  • THE GLORY PART 2 (March 2023) starring Song Hye-kyo, Lee Do-hyun, Lim Ji-yeon, Yeom Hye-ran, Park Sung-hoon, and Jung Sung-il.
  • BLOODHOUNDS (Q2) starring Woo Do-hwan, Lee Sang-yi, Park Sung-woong, and Heo Jun-ho.
  • CELEBRITY (Q2) starring Park Gyu-young, Kang Min-hyuk, Lee Dong-gun, and Jun Hyo-seong.
  • QUEENMAKER (Q2) starring Kim Hee-ae, Moon So-ri, Ryu Soo-young, and Seo Yi-sook.
  • BLACK KNIGHT (Q2) starring  Kim Woo-bin, Song Seung-heon, Kang You-seok, and Esom
  • A TIME CALLED YOU (Q3) starring Ahn Hyo-seop, Jeon Yeo-been, and Kang Hoon
  • SONG OF THE BANDITS (Q3)  starring Kim Nam-gil, Seo hyun, Yoo Jae-myung, Lee 
  • Hyun-wook, and Lee Ho-jung.
  • D.P. SEASON 2 (Q3) starring Jung Hae-in, Koo Kyo-hwan, Kim Sung-kyun, Son Suk-ku, Ji Jin-hee, and Kim Ji-hyun.
  • MASK GIRL (Q3) starring Go Hyun-jung, Ahn Jae-hong, Yeom Hye-ran, and Nana.
  • GYEONGSEONG CREATURE (Q4) starring Park Seo-jun, Han So-hee, Claudia Kim, Kim 
  • Hae-sook, Cho Han-cheul, and Wi Ha-jun.
  • SWEET HOME SEASON 2 (Q4) starring Song Kang, Lee Jin-uk, Lee Si-young, Ko Min-si, Park Gyu-young, Yoo Oh-seong, Oh Jung-se, Kim Mu-yeol, Jin-young.
  • DOONA! (Q4) starring Suzy, Yang Se-jong
  • DAILY DOSE OF SUNSHINE (Q4) starring Park Bo-young, Yeon Woo-jin, Jang Dong-yoon, and Lee Jung-eun.
  • GOODBYE EARTH (Q4) starring Ahn Eun-jin, Yoo Ah-in, Jeon Seong-woo, and Kim Yoon-hye.
  • CRASH COURSE IN ROMANCE (Jan 14) starring Jeon Do Yeon and Jung Kyung Ho.
  • THE GOOD BAD MOTHER starring Ra Mi-ran, Lee Do-hyun, Ahn Eun-jin.
  • BEHIND YOUR TOUCH starring  Han Ji-min, Lee Min-ki, Ju Min-kyung, and Suho.
  • KING THE LAND starring Lee Jun Ho and Lim Yoon-a.
  • DESTINED WITH YOU starring Rowoon, Cho Bo-ah, Ha Jun, Yura.
  • SEE YOU IN MY 19TH LIFE starring Shin Hye-sun, Ahn Bo-hyun, Ha Yoon-Kyung, and Ahn Dong-goo.

Film: 

• JUNG_E (Jan 20) starring Kang Soo-youn, Kim Hyun-joo, and Ryu Kyung-soo.
  • UNLOCKED (Feb 17) starring Yim Si Wan, Chun Woo Hee, Kim Hie Won
  • KILL BOKSOON (Q1) starring Jeon Do-yeon, Sul Kyung-gu, Kim Si-a, Esom, Koo Kyo-hwan.
  • THE MATCH (Q2) starring Lee Byung-hun and Yoo Ah-in.
  • BELIEVER 2 (Q4) starring Cho Jin-woong, Cha Seung-won, Han Hyo-joo, Oh Seung-hoon, Kim Dong-young, and Lee Joo-young
  • BALLERINA (Q4) starring Jun Jong-seo, Kim Ji-hun, and Park Yurim. 

Reality & Variety: 

• PHYSICAL: 1OO (Jan 24)  
  • SIREN: SURVIVE THE ISLAND (Q2) 
  • NINETEEN TO TWENTY (Q3)
  • ZOMBIEVERSE (Q3) 
  • THE DEVIL’S PLAN

Documentaries: 

• IN THE NAME OF GOD: A HOLY BETRAYAL
  • YELLOW DOOR: LOOKING FOR DIRECTOR BONG’S UNRELEASED SHORT FILM 

Series:
CRASH COURSE IN ROMANCE (Jan 14) starring Jeon Do Yeon and Jung Kyung Ho.

0172CC6B-91B1-48A2-BBE5-2443AFED066F.jpg

Film: 
KILL BOKSOON (Q1) starring Jeon Do-yeon, Sul Kyung-gu, Kim Si-a, Esom, Koo Kyo-hwan.

E8BDF6CE-DD6E-400D-9688-EA837F6BC3F7.jpg

Spoiler

E2199FD7-4978-46DC-9229-2C3894483609.jpg

F91829D3-A7BE-4035-B302-5BE8DB1A2580.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Kill Boksoon | Date Announcement Trailer | Netflix

73rd Berlin International Film Festival World Premiere

Life of Lies
Can Kill

From Director Byun Sung-hyun of The Merciless and Kingmaker

A Netflix film

Kill Boksoon | March 31, only on Netflix

#Netflix #KillBoksoon #길복순 

Kill Boksoon | Date Announcement Trailer | Netflix
https://www.youtube.com/@Netflix

At work, she's a renowned assassin. At home, she's a single mom to a teenage daughter. Killing? That's easy. It's parenting that's the hard part.

——

https://variety.com/2023/film/asia/netflix-film-korean-kill-boksoon-trailer-1235509141/
‘Kill Boksoon,’ Berlin-Bound Netflix Korean Film, Drops Trailer, Sets Release Date

By Patrick Frater | Feb 1, 2023 4:00pm PT

9E4B4C49-B1A9-426F-BBA7-435EB6FD006B.web
Netflix

Netflix has unveiled a trailer for Berlin-bound action drama “Kill Boksoon,” with Jeon Do-yeon, previous winner of the best actress prize at Cannes, in the starring role.

The film sees Jeon as Gil, a single woman juggling the demanding and conflicting roles of professional killer and mother to a teenage daughter.

Despite her unblemished track record as an assassin, Gil hesitates about renewing her contract at the killing company where she is employed and decides to spend time finding out what is gnawing at her daughter. But complications are never far away, such as discovering her next target is at a parent-teacher meeting.

She also finds herself in competition with another hired gun (portrayed by “Peninsula” star Koo Kyo-hwan) and under pressure from her employers, portrayed Sul Kyung-gu (“Kingmaker,” “Book of Fish”) and E Som (“Samjin English Company Class”).

The movie will have its world premiere in the Berlinale Special section, which acts as a showcase for more mainstream entertainment than the art-house angles of its other sections. Netflix announced that it will upload the film for international viewing from March 31.

“Kill Boksoon” is produced by See At Film and directed by Byung Sung Hyun. Byung is known for previously delivering “The Merciless” and last year’s 1960’s-set political thriller “Kingmaker.”

Jeon is one of Korea’s most celebrated actors. In addition to her Cannes-winning role in Lee Chang-dong’s “Secret Sunshine,” she has credits that include “Happy End,” “Untold Scandal,” “You Are My Sunshine,” “The Housemaid,” and 2021 Cannes special screening title “Emergency Declaration.”

Jeon’s prize collection also includes Korea’s Grand Bell, Baek Sang Art, Cine 21 and Blue Dragon awards, kudos from the Asia Pacific Screen Awards and Asian Film Awards, as well as a lifetime achievement award from the Far East Film Festival in Udine.

Watch the trailer for “Kill Boksoon” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHIK8oJq9Gs

D334EA09-3BFD-44AE-9BF5-E7921BDB8468.web
Berlin-bound ‘Kill Boksoon’ from Netflix.

• Helena changed the title to Jeon Do-Yeon 전도연 [Current Drama “Crash Course in Romance” (tvN/Netflix, Sat-Sun) | Upcoming Movie “Kill Boksoon” (March 31)]

https://zapzee.net/2023/02/02/jeon-do-yeons-new-netflix-movie-kill-boksoon-confirms-march-release/
Jeon Do Yeon’s New Netflix Movie ‘Kill Boksoon’ Confirms March Release

By KRISHKIM 

2220721E-7657-4C16-980A-9410FE1C1AD1.jpg
Credit: Netflix

The new Netflix movie Kill Boksoon will be released on March 31st.

Kill Boksoon follows Gil Bok Soon (Jeon Do Yeon), a legendary killer in the business, as she gets caught up in an unavoidable confrontation right before renewing her contract with the company. Previously, it was reported that the movie was officially invited to the Berlinale Special section of the 73rd Berlin International Film Festival.

Gil Bok Soon is a renowned assassin with a 100% success rate. She always gets the “job” done, but at home, she’s a single mother to a teenage daughter who’s struggling with parenting. Ahead of renewing her contract with the company, she decides to leave the hitman business so she can get closer to her daughter who’s clearly hiding something.

Netflix dropped a teaser poster of Kill Boksoon that shows Gil Bok Soon wearing a blood-stained suit and holding a bag that seems to be carrying all kinds of weapons. Along with the poster, the first teaser also got released.

181E9C61-0F3C-428F-BF69-7A16B5D6C53C.jpg
Credit: Netflix

This 50-second clip briefly introduces the character Gil Bok Soon. Having tea time with other parents, she tells them she works for an event planning company, but actually, her bag carries weapons for killing. As she says, “It’s so ironic that I’m a mother while doing this kind of work,” how she balances her job and parenting raises curiosity.

Then there is Cha Min Kyu (Seol Kyung Gu), the head of MK ent who raised Gil Bok Soon to be the best killer there is, and Cha Min Hee (Esom), the director of MK ent. Moreover, Han Hee Sung (Koo Kyo Hwan), an A-rated killer who’s not getting recognized for some reason, will be spicing up the story with his relationship with Gil Bok Soon.

Source: Netflix

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230202000587
Berlin festival-bound ‘Kill Boksoon’ set for March 31 Netflix release

By Kim Da-sol (ddd@heraldcorp.com) | Feb 2, 2023 - 15:35

70ADADD6-9312-46BF-90F5-60B9CE91A23A.jpg
Jeon Do-yeon stars in Netflix action thriller “Kill Boksoon.” (Netflix)

Upcoming action thriller “Kill Boksoon” confirmed its release on Netflix for March 31. The release follows the film's world premiere at the 73rd Berlin International Film Festival later this month.

The film features Cannes-winning actor Jeon Do-yeon as Gil Bok-soon, a single mom who juggles being a professional killer and raising her teenage daughter Jae-young (Kim Si-a).

Although Gil has an unblemished track record as an assassin and never has never missed a target, she decides to not renew her contract at the killing company because she wants to figure out a secret that Jae-young has been trying to hide from her.

Actor Sol Kyung-gu appears as Cha Min-kyu, head of the killers’ company, MK Entertainment, who discovered Gil’s talent early on, while Lee Som stars as Cha Min-hee who is the executive director at the same firm.

“D.P.” and “Kingdom” actor Koo Kyo-hwan plays Han Hee-sung, a killer whose talent is neither recognized nor appreciated by the company.

Director Byun Sung-hyun of “The Merciless” (2017) and “Kingmaker” (2022) is expected to once again show his stylish directing, distinctive characters and sensuous action sequence in this project.

“Kill Boksoon” has been invited to the Berlinale Special section -- a showcase for more mainstream entertainment -- during the Berlin International Film Festival which runs from Feb. 16 to Feb. 26.

• 3 weeks later...

DEU: "Kill Boksoon" Photocall - 73rd Berlinale International Film Festival

GERMANY-FILM-FESTIVAL-BERLINALE
(L-R) South Korean actress Kim Si-A, South Korean director Byun Sung-hyun and South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon attend a photocall for the film "Kill Boksoon" screened as Berlinale Special at the Berlinale, Europe's first major film festival of the year, on February 18, 2023 in Berlin. (Photo by John MACDOUGALL / AFP) (Photo by JOHN MACDOUGALL/AFP via Getty Images)
BCD7CC57-B953-4B66-8282-709449DA4330.web

Spoiler

22402C3A-3640-4C1F-99FF-9B81247B2264.web

67D28677-957B-4226-AF59-816A256D5F30.jpg

DEU: "Kill Boksoon" Press Conference - 73rd Berlinale International Film Festival
(L-R) South Korean actress Kim Si-A, South Korean director Byun Sung-hyun and South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon attend a press conference for the film "Kill Boksoon" screened as Berlinale Special at the Berlinale, Europe's first major film festival of the year, on February 18, 2023 in Berlin. (Photo by John MACDOUGALL / AFP) (Photo by JOHN MACDOUGALL/AFP via Getty Images)
911922BA-3D40-42CF-866C-4D0147C8ABF0.web

Spoiler

E7EF5716-C367-49CA-BC50-F0DD8467CCC1.web

DEU: "Kill Boksoon" Netflix Premiere - 73rd Berlinale International Film Festival

BERLIN, GERMANY - FEBRUARY 18: (L-R) guest, director Byun Sung-hyun and actresses Jeon Do-yeon and Kim Si-A attend the screening of "Kill Boksoon" during the 73rd Berlinale International Film Festival Berlin on February 18, 2023 in Berlin, Germany. (Photo by Stephane Cardinale - Corbis/Corbis via Getty Images)
DDFDB9B4-C1DC-4427-813B-B6622899C479.jpg

Spoiler

65859573-1844-442A-9B2E-5D92BE531F85.web

9BD5A43C-3764-4A9D-8DF3-E2F82984B3D3.web

20D05100-3984-4C64-9131-48F43D3E414A.web

A5321F6A-1F21-4AAA-88BF-ABF5E4C1AF06.web

https://variety.com/2023/film/asia/korean-jeon-do-yeon-kill-boksoon-1235527865/
Korean Acting Star Jeon Do-yeon Juggles Mother and Hired Assassin Roles in ‘Kill Boksoon,’ But Found ‘Terminator’ Was a Stretch Too Far

By Patrick Frater | Feb 18, 2023 12:31pm PT

Jeon Do-yeon who earned the Cannes best actress award for her part in Lee Chang-dong’s tragedy-ridden “Secret Sunshine” back in 2007 and has long had the reputation as Korea’s most-admired female actor, gets a chance to show her range in “Kill Boksoon.”

The Netflix-backed action film plays in the Berlinale Special section of the Berlin Film Festival and is a witty action showcase that was created especially for Jeon by one of Korea’s best young directors, Byun Sung-hyun.

What were your intentions when you set out to make Kill Boksoon?

Byun Sung-hyun: My previous work before this was a political film. And after filming that, I had no particular intention other than to create something with the amazing actress Jeon Do-yeon. I didn’t give her any kind of text or scripts. I just asked her if she’d do the next film together.

My focus was how to take advantage of this talented actress. Not only is she highly regarded, she’s also living this life as a mother. As I watched her, I created a story to reflect that dichotomy. She’s done a lot of films that are deep and meaningful. I wanted to forego any message conveying that and instead tell a story that she hadn’t done before. You could say that this film was completely and wholly conceived from her.

Was Jeon Do-yeon part of the screenwriting process?

Byun: Jeon did not write the narrative or storyline. I could write the lines of the killers, but there are lines that only a mother could say. Jeon would do improv and I would write down some of her lines.

Jeon: As an actor my work has all been open to the public. However, my private life is kept very private. Director Byun would come over to my home and observe me having conversations with my [one] daughter.

How do you see this role fitting into your career narrative?

Jeon: I became known to the general public through my film “Secret Sunshine” [for which she won the best actress award at Cannes in 2007] and after that was rather trapped within certain boundaries. Darker and deeper, more serious works kept coming my way. I wanted to break through that boundary, but there was nothing that I could do other than wait for the right piece. The character Boksoon is someone who shows everybody that was more to this actor.

That was a long wait.

Jeon: I’ve been ready for a long time. I think it was the directors that weren’t.

Can we maybe contextualize this. It is a female-led film. But is mother and killer a role model?

Byun: For a very long time action films have pertained to male characters only. And as time went on, I think the audience may have gotten rather tired of seeing that. It’s not necessarily that they wanted to see female characters play those roles. But I think it definitely led to an opportunity for the audience and the industry to widen their horizon in terms of how to look at characters.

Did you have to train a lot for the role?

Jeon: It may not all come across. But yes, I trained a lot.

Byun: Usually with action films you don’t use a lot of longer takes. That means you can use a lot of stunt doubles. However, when we did our storyboard, we were clear that there had to be long action sequences, where the actress herself had to be there, because we would focus on her face. She really had to get in there herself. A lot of scenes were very demanding and physically challenging.

Please explain the atmosphere and universe you sought to create. It is dark and violent, but it is treated with wit and humor.

Byun: I wanted to create a graphic novel-kind of mood. A part of it was because my previous film [“Kingmaker”] was so very grounded. I wanted something fictional, but not too fantastical.

I set out to do that from the very first scene where there is a fight on the bridge. This particular bridge is very well known to all Koreans. So to have these absurd things happening there sets the mood for the rest of the film.

The universe of companies who employ killers we’ve seen before in “John Wick,” which was definitely an influence. But I wanted to give it a little taste that is uniquely Korean. The killers in “John Wick,” they’re just so cool. [In “Kill Boksoon”] they’re more rugged, a little bit more like people that you would meet every day.

And as there are two stories – that of the killer and the mother – I had to maintain the adequate distance between Boksoon’s two worlds. If we presented the killer universe in a way that was over the top then it would take away from the reality of her life as a mother. And vice versa.

You seem to play a lot with verbal jokes, only some of which come across in translation.

Byun: Well, yes, the pun between Kill and the character’s name Gil [G and K are written and pronounced the same way in Korean] was definitely intended. Elsewhere, those scenes where the killers get together, or have dinner, I wanted the dialogue to be very nonchalant – “oh yes, I hear he was on a business trip last week and died” – something that you would just hear among regular office workers talking about their everyday lives and work. In ‘John Wick’ you’d hear talk of ‘taking someone out’ or discussion of their cash prizes.

In [“Kill Boksoon”] in those scenes where there is confrontation, the dialog is not grave or menacing. It’s just like, ‘you know, please understand I have to make ends meet’ and the other person’s ‘like, yeah, I get it.’

Using words like ‘show’ instead of ‘execution’ also plays into the deception the mother and killer is playing on her daughter.

Byun: Yes, definitely. Using works like ‘show’ and ‘script’ made it feel like you were walking into a top tier entertainment company or a film distributor and you’re meeting with the head of the company. I brought in a lot of film industry jargon, such as when the characters tell each other that they should have their phones turned off when shooting a scene. Another phrase is the ‘Good work’ phrase that is widely used on a Korean film set.

And where is the Korean entertainment industry headed?

Byun: Korean content is being loved globally. And there is certainly a lot of great content in Korea. But my personal taste admiration and respect is more for the content created in the early 2000s. That’s actually what I aspire to achieve. I also think that as time goes by there is going to be greater demand and higher bar set for the quality of the content that comes out of Korea.

Jeon: After I shot ‘Secret Sunshine,’ I actually got a call asking if I wanted to audition for the next ‘Terminator.’ That’s not the most expected call that you would get after doing a film like [heart-wrenching art-house title] “Secret Sunshine.” But I have to say it’s really not easy because of the language barrier. As an actor, I place utmost importance on what language I use, what kind of dialogue I use as this character. I don’t think I’ll be going into global projects any time soon.

So, no Hollywood agent then?

Jeon: That’s correct!

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065598689820765
Actress Jeon Do-yeon of Netflix movie 'Kill Boksoon' "I Want to break away from the title and become well rounded actress"

YonhapNews / 2023-02-19 16:38:42
(This article is translated from Korean to English by Joonha Yoo) 

7F48611E-0C94-4FDB-8876-26CE609293FC.jpg
▲This photo, provided by Netflix, shows scene from upcoming Netflix movie 'Kill Boksoon.' (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

ED7CF75F-AE37-48B0-BA45-0B5FDF9DB337.jpg
▲This photo, provided by Netflix, shows scene of 'Kill Boksoon.' (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL February 19 (Yonhap) -- “I feel like a lot of people will be surprised to see me participating in a production of an action movie, the title which I currently withhold is provided by a lot of audiences and those who love me therefore I would like to break the boundaries set by my fans throughout the movie ‘Kill Boksoon.’” addressed actress Jeon Do-yeon who has been invited to the 73rd Berlin international film festival.

South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon who has participated in an interview with Yonhap News Agency at a hotel located in Berlin on February 18 (Berlin time) and stated “After the production ‘Secret Sunshine’ I wanted to participate in various productions, however, there has been a lot of restrictions regarding productions that I could participate in,” adding “Number of directors who I have contacted did not expect more than what I have shown in previous movies, and productions, however when I received such cast offer, I was overwhelmed with joy.” 

“Kill Boksoon” which is a Netflix original film featuring protagonist figure Gil Bok-soon who gets caught up in an unavoidable battle against her agency as the time for extension of her contract arrives.

Director Byeon Sung-hyun known for his production “The Merciless” in 2016, “Kingmaker” in 2021, and more has led the production while actress Jeon Do-yeon, Kim Si-a, Esom, actor Sol Kyung-gu and more participated in the movie.

Actress Jeon Do-yeon addressed that it is her third time being invited to the Berlin International Film Festival, however this will be the first time she actually participates at the festival.

Moreover, actress addressed “I was worried whether the movie ‘Kill Boksoon fits the characteristics of Berlin International Film Festival, therefore I am curious to which aspect of the movie attracted the committee members to send out the invitation letter.”

The upcoming movie “Kill Boksoon” will be Jeon Do-yeon’s first action movie in eight years since “Memory of the Sword” in 2015.

Actress Jeon Do-yeon who has learned hand to hand combat in order to showcase realistic action scenes throughout the movie has addressed “I have never thought I was bad at action scenes and movies, however I have spent uncountable amount of time practicing for action scenes,” adding “Despite of my physical limit I wanted to overcome my limit for the movie so I have put in more effort.”

Unfortunately actress Jeon Do-yeon will be acting out the single mom figure in an upcoming movie despite the fact that she already acted out a single mother figure in currently continued tvN drama “Crash Crouse in Romance.”

As the drama continued to receive a lot of love and attention from the audiences, the upcoming movie “Kill Boksoon” is benefiting off from the success of the drama series.

“When the trailer video of the movie has been revealed, director described ‘This is the first time I am benefitting from the fame of the actor’ because a lot of audiences of ‘Crash Course in Romance’ is describing upcoming movie ‘Kill Boksoon’ as the secondary character of the protagonist Nam Haeng-seon.” addressed actress Jeon Do-yeon throughout the interview.

Moreover, actress stated “I have never thought there would be any hard points acting out the single mom figure,” adding “In my perspective, the movie shows professional worker who has hard time with chores, this shows similarities between me and the character.”

When asked what kind of mother figure Jeon Do-yeon is, actress addressed “I feel like I am part Nam Haeng-seon and part Gil Bok-soon, since it is my first time being a mother, therefore by the time I realize what I need to do for my kids or how I need to make adjustment for my kids, it is too late and my kids are emotionally hurt. I guess I am doing my best to keep up with the growth of my kids.”

As for the actor Sol Kyung-gu who actress Jeon Do-yeon has worked with in previous productions such as “I wish I had a Wife” and “Birthday,” actress described “I was very comfortable acting next to Sol Kyung-gu because, like always he was very generous towards my acting and kept me as his priority while acting.”

South Korean movie “Kill Boksoon” which was showcased in Berlin international film festival for the first time will premiere through Netflix in March through 190 various nations.

“Within such an unrealistic fantasy like world, the movie depicts a realistic drama like story of a maternal figure and a daughter, characters of the movie provides uniqueness and interesting unfold of event throughout the movie for the audiences to fully enjoy.” addressed actress Jeon Do-yeon throughout the interview.

Continuing on actress stated “The movie ‘Kill Boksoon’ starts off as an action movie, however through the course of the movie, additional aspects such as romance, daughter and mother’s relationship which provides unique viewing experience to its audiences.” (END)

FD617F7B-5349-43C2-AE1E-EFB9A563F89D.jpg

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065600255070142
Director Byun Sung-hyun of 'Kill Bongsoon' "Contradicting mother figure character who kills people while raising her child"

YonhapNews / 2023-02-19 17:04:27
(This article is translated from Korean to English by Joonha Yoo)

DBD8CF6D-35D0-4ED3-821D-6850F24F7ED7.jpg
▲This photo, provided by Netflix, shows scene of the movie 'Kill Bongsoon.' (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

DDFFE312-ADD3-4522-8CB3-55103A726C4A.jpg
▲Director Byun Sung-hyun, actresses Jeon Do-yeon and Kim Si-A pose on the red carpet for the film "Kill Boksoon" screened as Berlinale Special at the Berlinale, Europe's first major film festival of the year, on February 18, 2023 in Berlin. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL February 19 (Yonhap) -- “After meeting actress Jeon Do-yeon, I have learned that actress has very different aspects as actress and mother figure, when seeing such contradicting perspectives I thought to myself what could be the most contradicting characters which would suit the actress, and that is how I came up with the job specification of a killer for the movie.” addressed director Byun Sung-hyun who has been invited to Berlin International Film Festival with his movie “Kill Boksoon” under the segment of Special Screening on February 18 (Berlin time).

Director Byun Sung-hyun who has visited Berlin in order to participate at the Berlin International film festival participated in an interview with Yonhap News Agency addressed “To be honest, actress Jeon Do-hyun approached me with a different scenario to work together on, however I provided her with the counter offer of ‘Kill Bongsoon’ which I have written.”

Unlike the movie “The Merciless” from 2016, “Kingmaker” in 2021, the upcoming movie “Kill Boksoon” showcases female protagonist as solo protagonist throughout the movie. “The reason for such configuration is because I wanted to work with actress Jeon Do-yeon.” director Byun Sung-hyun chuckled throughout his interview with Yonhap News Agency.

“When working on the production, I have address actress with different directions, when presented with various directions which she has not expected actress Jeon Do-yeon stated she had fun receiving various directions from the director.” adding “Towards the end of the movie there is a scene where actress Jeon Do-yeon stares at Sol Kyung-gu, I asked the actress to showcase three very different emotions while staring at Sol Kyung-gu, and she managed to fit right into my direction and successfully showcased three various looks.” director Byun Sung-hyun addressed Jeon Do-yeon’s acting with great compliments.

This will be director Byun Sung-hyun’s first time being invited to Berlin International film festival.

“I personally thought my style of movies are very off topic with Berlin International film festival, however when I first got the call I was thrilled and overwhelmed with happiness,” adding “I an very excited to be here.”

After its premiere in Berlin International Film Festival under Special segment, the movie “Kill Bongsoon” will premiere through Netflix in March to 190 various nations. (END)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-reviews/kill-boksoon-review-netflix-1235328752/
‘Kill Boksoon’ Review: Netflix’s Busy Korean Fight Flick Is Both Supercharged and Sensitive
Jeon Do-yeon ('The Housemaid') stars in an action-packed feature as a kickass assassin who’s also a concerned mother.

BY JORDAN MINTZER | FEBRUARY 18, 2023 12:30PM

67D1E072-4124-449B-9330-A090DDF9B05D.web

NO JU-HAN/NETFLIX

If John Wick were a middle-aged single mom whose teenage daughter was about to come out as a lesbian, than she would be something like Gil Boksoon, the bone-crushing, throat-slashing, but otherwise fragile heroine of Korean director Byun Sung-hyun’s new action thriller, which premiered out of competition at the Berlinale.

Cheekily titled Kill Boksoon, the Netflix original takes cues both from Tarantino and the Wick franchise, with highly kinetic fight scenes where computer-generated blood fills the air like raindrops, and a plot revolving around corporatized assassins who inevitably turn on each other until there’s only one man — or woman — left standing.

The film also has an emotional undercurrent, albeit a rather familiar and facile one, as Boksoon copes with her daughter’s growing pains while she slays, slays and slays. At well over two hours it’s way too long and heads more or less where you think it will, but it’s fun to watch Byun and Jeon deliver the goods both viscerally and, at times, movingly.

Oscillating between hyper-stylized combat scenes employing slow-motion, CGI, tons of camera tricks and some impressive fight choreography, and more staid moments where Boksoon (Jeon Do-yeon) tries and mostly fails to connect with the teenaged Jae-young (Kim Si-A), Kill Boksoon maintains an upbeat and slightly offbeat tone where murdering and mothering go hand in hand.

Through multiple flashbacks, we learn how Boksoon became the highest rated contractor in the deadly MK enterprise, which is ruled over by a pair of siblings — the chairman Cha Min-kyu (Sul Kyung-gu) and the director Cha Min-herr (Esom) — who have made a fortune by turning killing into a strictly organized global business.

Such a scenario is nothing new for John Wick fans, even if Byun, who also wrote the script, applies a few welcome twists, including a band of fellow assassins that Boksoon hangs out with in a rundown greasy spoon restaurant on the outskirts of Seoul. That location becomes the setting for the film’s most memorable action sequence, which has the gang using everything from beer bottles to chopsticks to a pan of hot cooking oil to take each other out.

The rest of the story involves daughter Jae-young’s troubles at her elite private school, where a romance with another female student risks becoming public knowledge. Boksoon has to deal with the fallout while trying to conceal her true profession, which creates some suspense between them as they attempt to reach an understanding — never an easy task between any parent and teen.

Byun takes his time getting to the big third-act showdown, which overstays its welcome despite a few late surprises and plenty of martial arts mayhem. There really seems to be no reason — beyond the fact that running times don’t seem to matter for Netflix — why Kill Boksoon lasts for two-and-a-quarter hours. But then again, John Wick: Chapter 4, which is out next month, clocks in at a hulking 169 minutes, so maybe supercharged action flicks have become our equivalent of the sword-and-sandal epics of yesteryear, for better or worse.

Jeon, who fans know from excellent arthouse movies like Secret Sunshine and The Housemaid, is impeccable in a role that asks her to kick lots of butt while showing a fair amount of vulnerability — both as a mother with a child on the verge of a teenage meltdown and a woman in her forties trying to stay afloat in a (literally) cutthroat corporate environment. Byun smartly builds the film around Jeon and she never fails to deliver, whether her character is cutting a guy up or trying to cut to her daughter’s heart.  

Kill Boksoon
THE BOTTOM LINE Slay mama.

Venue: Berlin Film Festival (Berlinale Special)
Cast: Jeon Do-yeon, Sul Kyung-gu, Kim Si-A, Esom, Koo Kyo-hwan
Director, screenwriter: Byun Sung-hyun
2 hours 17 minutes

https://www.screendaily.com/reviews/kill-boksoon-berlin-review/5179302.article
‘Kill Boksoon’: Berlin Review

BY WENDY IDE | 18 FEBRUARY 2023

A top female assassin finds herself becoming the target in Byun Sung-hyun’s slick Netflix thriller

F39C79EF-D38B-463F-AA1E-16356F5D0113.jpg

SOURCE: BERLIN INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
‘KILL BOKSOON’

Dir/scr: Byun Sung-hyun. South Korea. 2023. 137mins

For Boksoon (Jeon Do-yeon), the Seoul-based single mum of a sullen and secretive 15-year-old, hitting that sweet spot in the work-life balance is becoming increasingly challenging. Particularly as Boksoon finds it easier to talk to her impressive collection of houseplants than she does to her daughter, Jae-young (Kim Si-A). Then there’s the fact that Boksoon is one of South Korea’s most notorious hired killers: an average day at the office might involve dispatching a Samurai sword-wielding Japanese gangster. Or it might be the day that she doesn’t make it home at all. Aside from the mother-daughter relationship angle, this splashy, showy assassin picture doesn’t really cover any new ground. But the lack of imagination elsewhere is offset by some impressively slick tailoring – Boksoon really does dress to kill – and extravagantly athletic fight sequences.

Knows how to land a punch

This Netflix picture comes with a solid pedigree: Jeon is a Cannes Best Actress-winner, for Lee Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine in 2007. More recently, she delivered an eye-catching performance in Kim Yong-hoon’s Beasts Clawing At Straws. Writer-director Byun’s previous projects include the 2022 period political drama Kingmaker and the 2017 crime movie The Merciless, both of which enjoyed healthy festival interest. Kill Boksoon will launch on Netflix at the end of March, where it should connect with the Squid Game end of the audience spectrum for Korean content rather than the more arthouse-aligned Parasite fans. 

We are introduced to Boksoon as she prepares to do battle against her latest target, a Yakuza who is naked apart from his tattoos, his underpants and his sword. Boksoon is equipped with a 30,000-won axe she bought in Walmart and an impractically skimpy hotel maid’s uniform. It’s a weirdly tacky and out-of-character costume choice for a woman who spends the rest of the film either trying to blend in with the monied parents of her daughter’s classmates or in chic plum velvet trouser suits which are destined to be drenched in blood. One can only imagine her monthly dry-cleaning bill.

Boksoon’s skill as a killer has bought her a certain standard of living: she drives a Mercedes SUV, she lives in a marble-lined apartment in a gated community, and her daughter attends an elite and expensive school. But Boksoon’s social life, such that it is, revolves around a dive bar frequented by other killers, her kid has been suspended from school and Boksoon is thinking about retiring from her lucrative career. Then she takes what should be a routine assignment. And something about the job finally crosses a line. For the first time in her life, Boksoon fails. Her manager at the assassin agency, Min-hee (a smirking, scene-stealing turn from Esom), spots an opportunity to oust her from the payroll. Soon Boksoon finds herself targeted by the ruthless killers she had formerly counted as colleagues and friends.

The hunter-turned-hunted narrative is familiar stuff – there is notable overlap with the John Wick series, among many others. And while the picture is handsomely and inventively shot (action is shown through reflections in puddles, glasses and blood), the sound and score are rather less sophisticated. The ironic use of Herb Alpert’s smoochy brass ballad ’This Guy’s In Love With You’ gets a laugh, but the overuse of knife-slash and body-blow sound effects to punctuate key edits does grow a little wearing. Overall, it’s serviceable stuff that, like Boksoon herself, struggles with the emotional connections in life, but sure knows how to land a punch.

Production company: See At Film
Worldwide distribution: Netflix
Producer: Yi Jin-hee
Cinematography: Cho Hyung-rae
Production design: Han Ah-rum
Editing: Kim Sang-bum
Music: Kim Hong-jip, Lee Jin-hee
Main cast: Jeon Do-yeon, Sul Kyung-gu, Kim Si-A, Esom, Koo Kyo-hwan

https://www.screendaily.com/features/berlin-2023-korea-hot-projects/5179340.article
Berlin 2023: Korea hot projects

BY JEAN NOH | 17 FEBRUARY 2023

Koreans are back in Berlin with titles ranging from auteur Hong Sangsoo’s latest to superhero films, animation and debut features from rising talent.

314ED920-339A-4455-B2FD-C05170DBC4B0.jpg
SOURCE: NO JU-HAN / NETFLIX
‘KILL BOKSOON’

Festival

in water

Dir. Hong Sangsoo

Following three consecutive Silver Bear-winning films in the Berlinale — The Woman Who Ran (2020), Introduction (2021) and The Novelist’s Film (2022) — director Hong’s latest work will world premiere in Encounters. The drama stars Shin Seokho, Ha Seongguk and Kim Seungyun, and centres on a young actor who sets out to direct a short film. He travels to an island with two former classmates and wanders, unsure of what to shoot, until he meets a woman picking up rubbish on the coast. It is produced by Jeonwonsa Film.

Kill Boksoon

Dir. Byun Sung-hyun

Set to world premiere in Berlinale Special, this Netflix feature is written and directed by Byun, whose The Merciless premiered in Cannes’ Midnight Screenings in 2017. Cannes best actress winner Jeon Do-yeon (Secret Sunshine) stars as an assassin leading a double life as a mother raising a teenage daughter. She is thrown into battle when her two identities collide. Sul Kyung-gu (The Merciless), Kim Si-a (The Closet), Esom (Microhabitat) and Koo Kyo-hwan (Peninsula) also star. The film is produced by See At Film.

Spoiler

Regardless Of Us

Dir. Yoo Heung-jun

This feature debut from director Yoo has its world premiere in Berlinale Forum. The drama stars Cho Hyunjin as a middle-aged actress recovering from a sudden stroke that prevented her from attending her film’s premiere. She becomes confused as a string of colleagues visit and share different impressions of the film, with puzzling stories unravelling when she sleeps. The film also stars Choi Sungwon, Kwak Minkyu, Kim Misook, Cho Soyeon and Kang Il. Produced by Neungso Film, Regardless Of Us is due for local release in the third quarter of 2023.

Contact: M-Line Distribution (mailto:sales@mline-distribution.com)

Market

Birth

Dir. Yoo Ji-young

Winner of the Citizen Critics’ Award at Busan 2022, this drama examines how a promising young writer and her roommate/lover deal with an unplanned pregnancy that brings huge changes and conflict. The film stars Han Hae-in and Lee Han-ju.

The Childe

Dir. Park Hoon-jung

From the director of Night In Paradise and The Witch: Part 1 & 2, this action drama stars Kim Seon-ho and Kang Tae-joo. It follows a struggling Filipino-Korean boxer with an ailing mother. He receives an unexpected call and is taken to Korea, the homeland of his father, but ends up being watched and chased for malevolent reasons.

Cobweb

Dir. Kim Jee-woon

Kim, director of Cannes 2008 action adventure The Good, The Bad, The Weird and Venice 2016 title The Age Of Shadows, returns to stylish ensemble drama and black comedy with Cobweb. Set in 1970s dictatorship-­era Korea, Cannes best actor award-winner Song Kang-ho (Broker) stars as a director desperately trying to reshoot the ending of a film, with confused cast and crew as well as meddlesome censors. Im Soo-jung, Oh Jung-se, Jeon Yeo-been and Jung Soo-jung also star. Produced by Anthology Studios, Barunson Studio and Luz y Sonidos, the film is in post-production.

Contact: Barunson E&A (mailto:intl@barunsonena.com) (international excluding French-speaking territories); Finecut (mailto:cineinfo@finecut.co.kr) (French-speaking territories) 

Hi-Five

Dir. Kang Hyoung-chul

This sci-fi drama from the director of Swing Kids revolves around five people who gain supernatural abilities after receiving organ transplants. They assemble a superhero team and face off against a cult leader with the ability to absorb energy. The film stars Lee Jae-in (Hard Hit), Yoo Ah-in (#Alive), Ahn Jae-hong (Time To Hunt), Ra Mi-ran (Honest Candidate), Kim Hie-won (Perhaps Love), Oh Jung-se (TV’s It’s Okay To Not Be Okay) and Park Jin-young (Yaksha: Ruthless Operations). Produced by Annapurna Films, it is in post-production with a local release expected this year.

Ms. Apocalypse

Dir. Lim Sun-ae

From the director of An Old Lady, which won the New Currents audience award at Busan in 2019, this drama stars Lee You-young (Perhaps Love), Lim Sun-woo (Nothing Serious) and Roh Jae-won (Ditto). Set at the turn of the millennium, the story follows a dowdy accounting manager — nicknamed Ms. Apocalypse — trying to help a delivery driver who has been embezzling company money. After she is arrested and serves a few months in prison, she finds the driver’s wife waiting for her with a compelling offer. Produced by Kirin Productions in association with With A Studio, the film is in post-production.

Pororo Popstar Adventure

Dirs. Yoon Jae-wan, Kim Sung-min

In this fantasy adventure in the popular Korean children’s animation franchise, Pororo the Little Penguin and his friends are close to winning a singing contest that they entered for fun. As they advance towards the final, they face the petty jealousy of villain Big Ben. Produced by OCON Studios, the film is in production and due for release in the fourth quarter of 2023.

Contact: K-Movie Entertainment (mailto:sales@kmovieenter.com)

Project Silence (working title)

Dir. Kim Tae-gon

This disaster action drama is from the director of Sunshine Boys and Familyhood. Lee Sun-kyun (Parasite) stars as a man who is travelling with his daughter on the bridge to Incheon airport when a thick fog causes a massive chain-reaction automobile crash. Amid the chaos, mutant military dogs escape from a transport vehicle and those left on the bridge must make it through the night. Ju Ji-hoon from the Along With The Gods franchise co-stars. Produced by Blaad Studios, the film is set for release this year.

Sleep

Dir. Jason Yu

This mystery thriller starring Jung Yu-mi (Train To Busan) and Lee Sun-kyun (Parasite) marks Yu’s feature directing debut. Produced by Lewis Pictures (Okja), the story centres on a pregnant wife who becomes worried about her husband’s sleeping habits. What starts out as some light sleep-talking soon escalates to unexpectedly grotesque behaviour. They consult a sleep clinic without success, and then seek help from a shaman as his nightmarish behaviour escalates. The film is in post and scheduled for release in 2023.

Contact: Lotte Entertainment (mailto:international02@lotte.net)

Two Heart

Dir. Jung Yu-Shin

Starring Jung Man-Sik (Hunt), On Ju-wan (Honest Candidate) and Shin So-yul (A Violent Prosecutor), this drama takes place in a terminal ward where children’s last hope is to get an organ transplant. Two fathers fight desperately to each save their own child but are ultimately faced with a final choice. Produced by Miro­vision, the film is due for release in the third quarter of 2023.

Contact: Jason Chae (mailto:jason@mirovision.com), Mirovision/Studio Bonanza

Under Your Bed

Dir. Sabu

From the Japanese director of previous Berlinale Competition titles Mr. Long (2017) and Chasuke’s Journey(2015), this is Sabu’s first Korean-­language film. Based on a thriller novel by Ohishi Kei about a man who is pulled into a whirlwind of destructive love, the film stars Lee Ji-hoon (TV’s River Where The Moon Rises) and Lee Yoon-woo in a story of a man obsessed with a woman from his past who turns out to have married a violent man. Produced by Mystery Pictures, the film is in post and due for release in June.

F3B6ACD0-EED0-4BCC-9C77-699F0E7383E8.jpg

A5F17617-D9F9-408D-8BD7-AC6D09B286C7.jpg

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/k-pop/k-movies/article/3210693/berlin-2023-kill-boksoon-movie-review-jeon-do-yeon-plays-assassin-korean-action-thriller-straight
Review | Berlin 2023: Kill Boksoon movie review – Jeon Do-yeon plays assassin in Korean action thriller straight out of the John Wick playbook

• Jeon is rock solid as an assassin who hides her ruthless profession from her teenaged daughter and who decides to retire, causing her employers to turn on her
  • There are shades of Keanu Reeves’ character John Wick in her character and in the betrayals and bloodbaths she endures. There’s not a lot of emotion, though

By James Mottram | 19 Feb, 2023

314ED920-339A-4455-B2FD-C05170DBC4B0.jpg
Jeon Do-yeon in a still from Kill Boksoon, an action film directed by Byun Sung-hyun in which she plays a ruthless assassin who hides her professional life from her teenaged daughter. Photo: No Ju-han/Netflix.

3/5 stars

The story of a female assassin who hides her professional life from her school-age daughter, Kill Boksoon is a Korean action film with more than a splash of John Wick about it.

Set around MK Ent., a covert organisation with strict rules (such as not murdering children), the film offers a series of betrayals and bloodbaths that will feel all too familiar to anyone who has seen Keanu Reeves’ killer in action.

Still, Kill Boksoon is written and directed by Byun Sung-hyun (The Beat Goes On, The Merciless), and there’s a visceral quality to the fight scenes and a rock-solid performance at its core from Jeon Do-yeon (Secret Sunshine, The Housemaid), who plays the one and only Gil Boksoon.

Premiering out of competition at this year’s Berlin International Film Festival, Byun’s movie will surely find a late-night audience thirsty for high-octane kills.

Boksoon is so adept that she instantly joins the league of other memorable female killers, such as Uma Thurman’s The Bride in Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill and Kim Ok-vin in The Villainess.

She made her first kill at 17, the same moment she met Cha (Sul Kyung-gu), who runs the MK with his sister (Esom). Since then she’s worked her way up MK to become the most feared assassin in a world where “killing has become a global business”.

Boksoon is shorn of the ego of her male counterparts, and in the very opening scene we see her take down a Japanese yakuza gangster on Seoul’s Dongho Bridge using her wits as well as brawn.

Aside from this feminist slant, the element that separates Kill Boksoon from the John Wick films is her relationship with her daughter, Jae-young (Kim Si-a), who is your typical stroppy teen.

She has her own issues, not least preferring girls as partners – something that leads her to commit an act of violence at school that has her mother worrying. Is her daughter a killer too? Does she know anything of her mother’s double life?

When Boksoon decides to retire, it eventually leads to the MK team coming after her. Cue an incredible fight in a restaurant that combines agility, athleticism and black humour.

It’s the film’s outstanding sequence, although throughout Byun has a real eye for an image – a puddle reflecting a decapitated head, snow falling outside a single window as a fight ensues.

67D1E072-4124-449B-9330-A090DDF9B05D.web
Sul Kyung-gu (left) and Jeon Do-yeon in a still from Kill Boksoon. Photo: No Ju-han/Netflix.

What is unfortunate, aside from the film’s protracted 137-minute running time, is the lack of genuine emotion in the film.

Perhaps it shouldn’t be expected from an action film, especially one with an astronomical body count and a derivative feel. But the core mother-daughter relationship never quite feels as heartfelt as it should. Their exchanges will just have you longing for the next combat scene.

Kill Boksoon will start streaming on Netflix on March 31.