If You're Not Korean/asian...

Guest g0bananas

Guest pink lemons.

and if you're not asian, how'd you get interested in asian music?

I've always been into international music..

So i'm always on the browse for other 'genres' :blush:

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest apoloskye

I think it was when I heard UVERworld's "D-technoLife" as one of the opening theme songs for BLEACH. From there I got into all Asian music.

Fate. :blush:

I randomly switched channels one day

and landed onto Se7en performing at the

Korean Music Awards.

He blew me away with "Come Back"

and "Passion" that I just knew I could never

break away from it.

Yup, definitely fate :D

Guest Kana-P

I'm African American, so whoa, but my dive into Kpop started with anime, and from there, of course a few songs caught my fancy, thus beginning that addiction, and from there it eventually sprung into Kpop and all other sorts of asian songs (to even Russian, like Tokio Hotel). I just like how Asian music has a different flavor from other parts of the world, and when you're used to listening to the same types of things all your life, it's nice for a great change---like Kpop, which is awesome. And Se7en's "Passion" might've had something to do with it, too ^o^

Guest MANDA☆PANDA

My dad lived in South Korea for two years. His stories made me interested in learning more about asian culture in general and I started getting into anime and Japanese & Korean dramas..... and now today I'm a huge asian music and drama addict. My dad created a monster lol xD

Guest leenahx33

Getting into any kind of genre or specific band for me is all a matter of chance. : D

I just need to be introduced or exposed to it at a time when I'm most vulnerable so that it might become an everlasting obsession.

Guest MadMagFreak

This may sound horrible, but I was actually searching through YouTube for a documentary about North Korea I had watched the night before.

I came across Baby VOX's perfomance of "Oo Yon" in Pyongyang, and fell in love with the song!

Soon enough, I became crazy obsessed! =D

Guest Azn Drifto

Well a Korean friend i met at uni gave me some movies, and it sorta started from there.... and that also got my sister hooked into korean music/movies/drama everything haha

Guest emilyXx

My sister showed me, Bi Rain, se7en and later DBSK,, still not into Kpop but after she showed me BoA,, I got into Korean Music ...

I'm now a DBSK fan ,, and a long time ago I was listening se7en all the time xD ..

Guest prisonerzero

Well, I'm a user of gURL.com that likes to visit the music section of the forum. I saw a post about JPOP and well, when that died down, I made my own thread asking for recommendations on Japanese pop music. I got recommendations for Morning Musume and I've been listening to them for over a year. Then during spring break this year, I wanted to listen to some other music rather than just Morning Musume. A friend of mine from live journal would always talk about Super Junior. So I decided during my boring spring break, I would listen to some of their music. I also watched Explorers of the Human Body, I looked up other groups, and here I am today! ^^

Guest TVXQnakk.

I'm african american/white/indian mostly african american so yeah. hahaha.

But I started back when I was little and was watching anime and loved the endings and openings.

and then I was like oooohhhh I love Korean and Japanese language then I started looking up research and stuff

and I was like asians are very Beautiful people. And the music sounds so good. So from then on out I have always loved Korean and Japanese and their music and culture and they have great food too hehe. :D

If I could have been born an asian or at least part asian it would have been AWESOME. lol

But my first love was Namie Amuro. She is really the one that made me just love it forever and ever since I have never really listened to american music anymore. I do sometimes when I'm just bored.

Well on my mom's side of the family up until my younger brother was born, there were only two grandkids, myself and my cousin who is ten years older than I am. So I basically did EVERYTHING that he did. He was into anime and listening to Japanese music so I started watching anime too.. (this is when I was about 7 or 8). I really became obsessed with anime and the theme songs for the anime's just like him lol. So I've been into Asian stuff for basically my whole life.

But what got me into KPOP was a complete accident. I was on youtube and watching a caucasian english teacher's video's of him teaching english to Japanese people, needless to say it was very interesting! I scrolled down further and I came across "Yunho's Tokyo Holiday." The video's screen cap pulled me in because I thought the guy (Yunho) was cute. So I watched it and loved it! So i found out about the group Dong Bang Shin Ki and watched more of their banjun dramas like dangerous love, first love, etc. I liked their dramas so much that I wanted to listen to their music, and the first song I heard was their Japanese single "Choosey Lover" and it was the most awesomest thing ever! So from there I watched my first kpop video which was DBSK's "Rising Sun" and that led me to watching all of the Korean shows like Love Letter and Xman where I found more artists like Tim & the Trax. So that's how I became an obsessed Korean lover lol since I've loved Asian/Japanese stuff my whole life this was just added to my list of Asian stuff I love. :)

hmmm, when I was really small I became interested in international music after I listened to my mom's gloria estefan music...so originally I started listening to a lot of latin music lol!

But then my brother got me into anime and I loved the image songs, ending and opening themes that were used in my favorite anime shows. Then, one day I was looking for some Sailor Moon songs on the internet, lol, and I came across a website with some but it also had real JPOP music such as Hamasaki Ayumi and Amuro Namie. From the moment I heard Ayu's song "As if" (it's one of her earlier songs) I was completely hooked on JPOP music and I adored Ayu a lot! After awhile, I came across BoA and some other kpop groups and I liked it but i never dived in too deep into kpop until recently. Also, I became interested in Asian cultures and history that it led me to study in Japan.

Last year I was studying in Japan, had a great time at school and went to the concerts of my favorite jpop singers (and met some too)! But while I was there I found out about DBSK after seeing the music.jp commercial of "Miss You" (lol, I thought they were japanese!) and I fell IN LOVE with them! I even forgot to buy tickets to see Hamasaki Ayumi's A BEST 2 tour b/c I was too busy trying to find tickets for DBSK's Five in the Black concert and going to DBSK events! It's funny b/c I use to dream of going to an Ayu concert and when I had the chance to I completely forgot about her all b/c of DBSK lol! (sorry Ayu...I still love you though!). But it was alright b/c I was able to see her perform at the Music Japan taping of her "glitter" performance.

So now I am listening to more kpop music than before (i still listen to jpop of course!). I just wish I had gotten into kpop a lot sooner b/c just recently I realized that their were kpop concerts near where I live (washington, dc) a few years ago but not anymore. <_<

Guest Cold.Ness

Well, I was into CPop for quite a long time but then it got a bit boring as my favourite artists didn't release any new songs

So I wanted to try something different and somehow I was on this forum looking for song recommendations

And I happen to see DBSK

Being a curious girl, I went on youtube to watch their live performances, (and it happened to be Love in the Ice)

And they were awesome..

OMG!!!!

After that I googled them, and saw JaeJoong :wub:

But anyways ;; from then on, I was in love with DBSK, and when i got further into KPop,

I realised other bands like Big Bang, and Super Junior and SNSD

Guest MUGETSU

SEO TAIJI / TAIJI BOYS

I remember playing Pump it Up in the arcades like 9-10 years ago and I loved the song Nan Arayo. hah

Guest suyenpham

I discovered Jpop through anime.
And for Kpop...
The majority of the asians at my school were Korean and I hung out with a lot of them. They talked about kpop and dramas a lot and I got curious! So I started researching Korean pop culture and got pretty into it. That's how I found Soompi!
What REALLY triggered my interest in Korean music was when I watch Kim Samsoon (which I liked a lot). The insert song was "She Is" by Clazziquai. When I first heard it, I feel in love! They're still my favorite Korean group.

Guest xxctxx

Lol I'm not Korean but I am Asian...

When the Korean wave was huge in HK ~ the path went a lil something like this:

HK tv programs - Rain - Full House - Kpop - Shinhwa/Rain/Se7en/FTTS - Xman/Loveletter - And then after a while Big Bang debuted - fell in love <3 lol!~

Guest suyenpham

But my first love was Namie Amuro. She is really the one that made me just love it forever and ever since I have never really listened to american music anymore. I do sometimes when I'm just bored.

Oh wow, me too! I don't really have a "fangirl" type of personality, but when it comes to Namie Amuro, it's a whole different story! She's pretty much my idol. She's got the whole package: looks, talent, and personality <3

Guest Kittykitt129

I'm not asian at all...

Sailor Moon got me into Japan. Japan got me into BoA. BoA got me into iDance. iDance got me into Big Bang, and DBSK(with Dirty Cash and Balloons, respectively).

Different announcements got me into Wonder Girls. Wonder Girls nudged me into SNSD. Their personality turned me off. But still, I like the music; some of it.

Along with BoA, I stared and drooled at some pics of DBSK, and Namie Amuro came out of nowhere on a forum I used to visit.

H!P came from me liking Kiiroi Osora de Boom Boom Boom by Kiiro5. They were a shuffle group, so I checked out the group heading the company, closely associated with most of the 16+ artists, Morning Musume.

There are other groups I like, but these are the marks I've remembered.

Hyori Lee's fandom came from watching AnyMotion and loving the pop-locking style of dancing.

Archived