If You're Not Korean/asian...

Guest g0bananas

Guest soulremix.

Um, I don't exactly remember but I think I was browsing my friend's myspace & I just randomly clicked on some girl's picture and went to her page.

And like, her song was We Belong Together by Big Bang. & I thought, "Hey, that's a nice song, even though I don't know what they're saying."

So, I went to Big Bang's fansite on myspace or whatever it was, and I saw that they were EXTREMELY hot. LMAO. & the songs were catchy and nice ^^

So yeahh, Big Bang was my first favorite Kpop group (: I listened to some Jpop before like Mflo but I only liked a couple of their songs.

Later on, I discovered more of the music, like Wondergirls and such. It wasn't until like the beginning of the year that I fell in love with Super Junior hehe <3

So, yeahh. Korean music is my most favorite kind of music now <3 :D

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest airen_seri

I have always been a J-pop since I was in high school... I will have eventually branch out... since I do keep up what's going at the Philippines and mostly in one magazine they would have mention either DBSK or Super Junior and that I did start listening to Mandarin songs. But the processed for K-pop sped up... bcuz in my second last year of high school (Yr.11) we did an assignments for English analyzing MVs. Two of my friends did "Because I'm A Girl" by KISS and that was my introduction for K-pop. I was totally mesmerizsed by the MV itself... bcuz it was a first time I saw an MV with such a great storyline (remember it was my first Korean MV) and the song itself was good. That's why even now "Because I'm A Girl" has a soft part in my heart.

Guest guccigal

I was addicted and loved ALL ABOUT EVE (thus the avatar) and was singing "TRUE LOVE" by Finkl like a Korean.....from there I discovered Kpop. Big Bang is my true love now, all their songs literally rock!!

Re: Jpop

Heard Utada's First Love and fell in love with it instantly from the moment I heard it. Then I discovered Namie Amuro- such a cool hip sexy lady!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest copeland4vr

Okay, for clarification I'm not asian. but the way i started listening to K music...

When i look back i've always been kinda anti-mainstream, and i used to watch a TON of tv. a lot of the popular channels (like Mtv) were blocked at home so i'd watch random stuff i'd find channel surfing. one day i came across AZN, "the channel for Asian Americans". i was like, :blink:, how cool :lol: ! my logic was, "if BET is supposed to be for black people but anyone can watch that, then why can't I watched AZN?" they were showing a k-drama called Emperor of the Seas and I got hooked! basically it was

channel surfing --> AZN-->Emperor of the Sea--> got addicted and kept watching more and more dramas, at the same time luv'd the OSTs so looking for their artists. MNIKSS introduced me to Clazziquai (heart them!) who were featured in the song "Honjarado" by Epik High...and the next thing i know i'm listening to all these OSTs or groups that are linked somehow from one to another. i also like a lot of j/k-indie artist, when i tell people they think its incredibly odd and obscure but when you think about how everything links it makes total sense.

I'm Asian but not Korean.

But anyway, before 2004, I listened occasionally to a few Korean tracks. Singular stuff like if I watched a Korean drama and liked the main theme song or something. Example: Finkl - True Love for one Korean drama I think. I also listened to Kiss - Because I'm a Girl because the MV was making its way around the internet and I saw it and thought the song was great. Before 2004, listening to Korean music was definitely an occasional one-off thing.

And then in 2004, I discovered DBSK when they played Miduhyo on the MTV Taiwan channel. The rest is history haha!

Because of DBSK, I started learning Korean, which introduced me to even more Korean artists.

• 2 weeks later...

ooh. the very first korean MV I ever saw that I recognized was Korean was Come Back to Me Part 2 by Se7en...

the very first was How Many Times by 1Tym.

Both awesome songs... then the Korean Wave hit the Philippines while I was there, which got me more hooked.

Guest bomjit

mine was back like 5-6 years ago when i was in my 'making homepage' phase, at that time i was surfing for a good background layout to put on, anyway i came across a site that had a korean song playing as the background and was hooked. So i asked the webmaster what song it was and it was Shinhwa's Haegyulsa (which i still love). and from that i've been addicted to shinhwa and have ventured into watching kdramas, gameshows, movies and learning the korean language.

got into it through YouTube, when i bumped into one of the XMAN's episodes. from there i started to notice the singers and got curious about them . ^^

basicly that's what happened x)

Guest goodnessgracious

Korean dramas and varieties which were all over youtube few years ago got me hooked to korean entertainment. I still prefer Western music to be honest, but there are some good Asian performers.

From little days I adored asians. After some time I got interested in music, but I started from j-rock then I went further to j-pop, k-pop, c-pop and so on. I love asian music, especially ballads, because they are so cliche like many western songs.

Plus, asian people are talented, dances very well [well,most of them] and have stunning looks :}

Guest ohmysanity

Well, I grew up in Germany, listening to German music. xD; and then we moved to the states, listening to, again, foriegn music, be it Mexican/Hispanic tunes from our neigbors guitar, to our Great Grandmother humming in a language native to her, so I was always around other music... I got into the whole "asian music" scene when I got into anime. I think that's how it was with a lot of people. I started to research, and I mostly listened to Japanese anime music. XD It was the best thing ever.. Then my friend introduced me to the band LEAD and I got into like, "real" Japanese pop/rock...branched off to discover my own stuff, then my whole group of friends turned to Korean music, though they listen to more main stream pop and I listen to more underground rock/jazz/etc...

Guest zombie_milk

My friend sent me a thing called "60 things girls don't know about guys" or something like that, and it happened to be on soompi. He doesn't go on soompi but he happened to come across it and he sent me it. So after that, I started to go on soompi, and I then realized it was a Kpop site, and I started lurking around on here. Then I eventually found X-man episodes and stuff and then I fell in love with it ( :

Guest szevenz

i like korea stuff through se7en oppa...

actually i like number 7 and one day i saw se7en's album on website (i forget the name) and i tried to find out anything about him.

From there i get hooked to K-stuff especially YG entertainment and the K-dramas... ^_^

Hmm, I'm not a Korean. I thought listening to korean music was really weird at first and didn't even bother to give it a try. But after listening to my friends babbling about korean songs and celebs for 1-2 years, I finally gave in and watched a dbsk mv. That's when I fell in love with them and got into korean music :P

I guess I got into kpop really late, but its better than never :D

Guest Releasethefawn

i was at a overnight summer camp and my roommate was korean. she was playing some music and i wanted to get to know her, since we would be spending a whole week together. so we just talked about music and i discovered i liked korean music. now me and her still exchange what asian bands to check out. (:

Guest pink_pingu

I got into asian music when my sister was playing l'arc en ciel in my kitchen lol but I got into korean when my friend made me listen to shi kyae by brown eyed soul, she's white but one of her best friends is korean.

Guest MichRain

I'm Asian but I didn't like Korean and Chinese music (despite the fact that I'm Korean-Chinese) because they were more of ballad and karaoke-like songs during the 90s which aren't my type of genres. Then it was only until recent years the newer singers are picking up on "fusion music" - more upbeat/poppish/hip-hoppish/hip-poppish (lol) and it was an exchange student from Germany in my school who introduced these music to me!!! oh boy...

Guest coolshaybaby

i'm not asian, but for a while i've listened to asian music. (since about 2003/2004 i think). it started cuz i had a penpal in asia. in japan actually. my friend sent me a copy of their favorite artist, who happened to be ayumi hamasaki. forgive me, but i had never thought asian people had such music. for some reason i thought it was all very different than the kinds of stuff i always heard in the states...like maybe folk music or something...hehe sorry. (i was so bad lol :sweatingbullets: sorry ) uhm, well i liked it but at the time i had no idea who it was. so i asked. then i just googled ayumi hamasaki and also got an enormous list of other japanese artists. after a few more songs from a few choice artists, i was hooked. i was like, wow! asian people can rock! :P

well, since then i have been a continuous fan of several japanese artists, but very recently i was curious about korean music too. i never really heard much of it yet, so forgive me if i dunno who's who just yet. boa was the first i listened to, but it was in japanese. uhm, then next was rain/bi?? but i heard only the song 'sad tango' so far. (enjoyed it very much btw!) then se7en(sp?), who i really, really liked alot. i don't even understand korean, but the sound is very good. and that's enough for me.

well, anyway that's how i got into asian music.

(also, i want to make my first purchase of k-music, probably from one of these 3 artists. any suggestions? and where is the best place to buy k-music?)

Archived