[drama 2008] My Sweet Seoul / My Bittersweet City 달콤한 나의 도

Guest huangsy

i just finished watching 'my bittersweet seoul' and i will add it to my list of favekdramas of all times, it's not your ordinary kdrama of rich girl meets poor boy and vice versa drama with a lot of slapstick scenes from parents etc. there's still some slapstick humor but a lot of scenes and storylines are quite realistic. i see a lot of 'sex and city' influence here. is 31 years for a korean woman considered spinster age or unmarrigeable? i remember carrie in 'sex and the city' telling someone that she considers 43 as her threshold age. if she isn't married by 43 then she's fated not to get married and have a child. but 31 is still relatively young, that's the age where you go up the company ladder, the age you start building your career. re: tae oh, i can't understand why she was so hung up on him for quite awhile after they broke up, their relationship was not based originally on true love and feelings but on lust. so how can it last? ys doesn't know much about his background, his character. the relationship between a relatively older woman and a young man will only last if they truly love each other and in th eprocess forget that she is more successful than him, earns more than him and most importantly willing to wait for him to make his mark and became a success. if he becomes a success at 31, then she'll be 38. by that time, he may have outgrown her, his values and taste may have changed , he was not the same man as he was at 24, there's still a lot of people an dplaces to see. it's really very tricky for that kind of relationship to last, the older at her age has set minds and quirks and may find it hard to adjust to her younger partners ways. for that kind of age gap to really last and mature, the bond , ties, and feelings must be really strong.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about the ost, there was this song playing 'beautiful girl' sung in the background as they were having drinks after performance of madame nam. it was composed by jose mari chan . it was so apt for the 3girls, feeling beautiful, at peace and with their self esteem at an all time high. i just can't understand that why the 3 of them(best friends and all) would bicker, make biting comments and literally embarrass each other in front of their dates etc. etc. are korean women like that in real life?

I love the story.Although it could have done without the extended 'mystery' plot of young soo in the end. The girl and Yung soo has similar personality rather than the first guy. I think in the end that was the thing that really binded their relationship. Another important factor was the girls fertility clock ticking away. The younger guy couldnt pormise her the stability and family life she wanted.

In the end its not just love that matters, more important is TIMING. TIMING is everything.

I love the story.Although it could have done without the extended 'mystery' plot of young soo in the end. The girl and Yung soo has similar personality rather than the first guy. I think in the end that was the thing that really binded their relationship. Another important factor was the girls fertility clock ticking away. The younger guy couldnt pormise her the stability and family life she wanted.

In the end its not just love that matters, more important is TIMING. TIMING is everything.

i agree with you, the mystery plot of young soo sort of distracted the main theme of 'my sweet seoul'. it could have really gotten away with the young soo mystery. it should have just focused on es, this is is about the lives of 30omething women in korea and the kind of pressures they face.

I just finished watching this series & I really love it. Its fun to be watching it’s not boring. :)

about the ost, there was this song playing 'beautiful girl' sung in the background as they were having drinks after performance of madame nam. it was composed by jose mari chan . it was so apt for the 3girls, feeling beautiful, at peace and with their self esteem at an all time high. i just can't understand that why the 3 of them(best friends and all) would bicker, make biting comments and literally embarrass each other in front of their dates etc. etc. are korean women like that in real life?

Really it was beautiful girl, I didn’t notice the ost. I’ll try it if it was Beautiful Girl… Can I ask what episode so that I direct sorry…Thanks?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Zealousy

Finally, after two months of ignoring this drama, I marathoned the last 8 eps. LOL.

Kinda confused about the ending...

So, They called off the engagement because he couldn't be happy? That part was a bit confusing.. also, are Jane & Yoo Joon dating? LOL.

• 1 month later...

My Sweet City Fanmade MVs

Although this is not my favorite drama but I love the OSTs and these are the MVs I made for this drama. Enjoy!

1)MV My Sweet City - Moonlight (Eun Soo and Tae Oh Theme)

Song : The OST “Moonlight By Lee Ji Hyung”

Clips : Eun Soo and Tae Oh’s scenes from K-Drama “My Sweet City” (SBS-2008)

2)MV My Sweet City - Come To My World (Eun Soo and Young Soo Theme)

Song : The OST “Dal Kom Han Na Eh Do Shi By 8Eight”

Clips : Eun Soo and Young Soo’s scenes from K-Drama “My Sweet City” (SBS-2008)

3)MV My Sweet City - Come To My World Ver. 2 (Young Soo Theme)

Song : The OST “Dal Kom Han Na Eh Do Shi By Lee Sun Gyun”

Clips : Eun Soo and Young Soo’s scenes from K-Drama “My Sweet City” (SBS-2008)

• 1 month later...
Guest huangsy

2008 SBS Drama Awards:

FEMALE LEAD AWARD - SPECIAL DRAMA (여자 드라마스페셜 연기상)

Choi Kang-Hee 최강희 (My Sweet Seoul 달콤한 나의 도시

2009010100400091382_005009_0.jpg

PD AWARD (남자 프로듀서상)

Moon Jung-Hee 문정희 (My Sweet Seoul 달콤한 나의 도시, Daughter-In-Law 며느리와 며느님)

2009010100070993780_001216_0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Official Site of Korea Tourism Org.: My Sweet Seoul

Filming Location Tours Home >Things to See&Do >Themed Tours >Filming Location Tours

676268_1_1.jpg

Based on a novel of the same name, the Korean drama My Sweet Seoul was highly acclaimed and said to be even better than the original book. This was because when making the drama the producers concentrated on its quality, and refused to be swayed by audience ratings and trends. The drama vividly portrays the life of a single woman in her thirties. Although this is not an unusual backdrop, the drama succeeded in drawing a large audience of women in their 20s and 30s, because of its exciting romantic story. The drama also had a wonderful OST.

● Drama Information

676268_1_5.jpg

Broadcasting Station: SBS

Aired:June 6, 2008~August 1, 2008

Director:Park Heung-sik

Cast:Choi Kang-hee, Lee Seon-gyoon, Ji Hyeon-woo

Synopsis

Eun-soo is 31 years old and works as a manager in an editing firm. On the day of her ex-boyfriend’s wedding, she meets Tae-oh, who wants to be a movie-director, and they have a one-night stand. While going out with Tae-oh, who is cute but has an uncertain future, Eun-soo is introduced to Kim Young-soo by her boss. Young-soo is a young CEO who owns an organic firm. He is warm-hearted, but quite ordinary, so Eun-soo is not particularly attracted to him. But after breaking up with Tae-oh, Eun-soo sees Young-soo’s true character and falls in love with him. However, the more she gets to know him, the more mysterious he becomes. Then, just before their wedding, Young-soo disappears.

About the Characters

Oh Eun-soo_ Choi Kang-hee

676268_1_10.jpg

Eun-soo is 31 years old and works as a manager in an editing firm. On the day of her ex-boyfriend’s wedding, she meets Tae-oh, who wants to be a movie-director, and they have a one-night stand. While going out with Tae-oh, who is cute but has an uncertain future, Eun-soo is introduced to Kim Young-soo by her boss. Young-soo is a young CEO who owns an organic firm. He is warm-hearted, but quite ordinary, so Eun-soo is not particularly attracted to him. But after breaking up with Tae-oh, Eun-soo sees Young-soo’s true character and falls in love with him. However, the more she gets to know him, the more mysterious he becomes. Then, just before their wedding, Young-soo disappears.

Kim Young-soo _ Lee Seon-gyoon

676268_1_12.jpg

Young-soo is 38 years old and is the CEO of an organic firm. He has always lived an upstanding life. He is introduced to Eun-soo and is attracted to her, but Eun-soo is dating Tae-oh. Young-soo is only ordinary in appearance, but he has a charming personality and as a result he is very popular with women. However, Eun-soo, whom he likes, has no particular interest in him. He carries a large burden of guilt because of his past involvement in an accident that killed his friend. He has lived a mundane life since the accident, but since he met Eun-soo, he feels like he could be happy for the first time. However, he fails to reveal his past and on the day of their wedding he disappears.

Yoon Tae-oh _ Ji Hyeon-woo

676268_1_13.jpg

24-year old Tae-oh dreams of becoming a movie director. He has a one-night stand with Eun-soo and starts a relationship with her. Despite his young age he is very confident, and has many admirers due to his good lucks and infectious, bubbly personality. To Eun-soo however he is only a good-looking boy, and he is upset she does not recognize him as a man.

* The above photo courtesy of SBS

Filming Locations

Haruga Restaurant

676268_1_15.jpg

After Jae-in’s wedding, Eun-soo goes to a beef restaurant with Tae-oh and some friends. There, she has an argument with Yoo-hee and the situation becomes awkward. This scene from the 7th episode of the drama was filmed at Haruga, a beef restaurant in Hwayang-dong. At a branch of the same restaurant in Hongdae, Eun-soo has a pleasant meal with her mother to celebrate her independence. Known for its simple yet stylish interior and delicious side dishes, the restaurant now has five branches in Seoul. The main menu is wanggalbi (jumbo ribs), which is available in both hot & spicy and light sauces.

● Restaurant in Geondae

Transportation:Subway Line 2, Geondae Ipgu (Konkuk Univ.) Station, exit 1→Walk straight 100 meters and turn right→Turn left at the first small intersection→Walk ahead for 200 meters and you will find the restaurant on the left.

Tel: +82-2-462-1469

U-do Island in Jeju-do

676268_1_16.jpg

To relieve her stress, Eun-soo goes on a trip to Jeju-do Island with Yoo-hee and Jae-eun. On the boat to U-do (an island in Jeju-do), the three sing the theme song from an animation movie. On the island, which is ringed by a white sand beach, they unburden themselves of their worries and promise eternal friendship. Called U-do (U means cow) because it is shaped like a lying cow, U-do is famous for its clean, white beaches, which are made from crushed white coral. The beach is the only one of its kind in Korea. Movies Siworae and My Mother the Mermaid were filmed here.

→Click for U-do Island

Jeju-do O’Sulloc Museum & Sulloc Dawon

676268_1_17.jpg

Eun-soo is in charge of publishing Young-soo’s organic firm’s company newsletter. One day, they visit Jeju-do together for work. As he watches Eun-soo collecting information, Young-soo finds he is attracted to her. One scene was shot in an expansive green tea field, which is a very popular destination for young couples. The landscape of O’Sulloc Dawon and the O’Sulloc Museum, from where you can view Mt. Hallasan, is also a must-see destination for those interested in tea. Please note that to get there, you need to rent a car or take a taxi.

Room & Rumour Café, Hongdae

In the first episode, Eun-soo meets Yoo-hee and Jae-in in a café, Here Jae-in tells Eun-soo and Yoo-hee about her fiancée and they all enjoy a glass of wine. After finishing their conversation, Jae-in hurriedly leaves to meet her mother to order wedding invitation cards. This scene was filmed in Room & Rumour café in Hongdae (Hongik Univ.). This café is famous because Kim Ki-duk’s movie Time was also filmed there. The café has a cozy interior and comfortable chairs. Thick, chewy waffles and freshly brewed coffee are the most popular items on the menu

Transportation:Subway Line 2, Hongdae Ipgu Station, exit 5→Walk in the direction of Hongik University and turn right towards Geukdong Broadcast Station at the university’s main entrance→At the big three-way intersection, cross the first crossroad

Geoulmot Restaurant in the National Museum of Korea

676268_1_18.jpg

After quitting her job, Eun-soo rewards herself for her hard work by having dinner in a fancy restaurant. She orders steak and wine and spends some quality time by herself. Geoulmot (Reflecting Pond) is a Western restaurant inside the National Museum of Korea. It is a good place to dine alone or with friends. This is also where Eun-soo introduces Young-soo to her family after deciding to marry him.

→Click for the National Museum of Korea

Children’s Grand Park

676268_1_19.jpg

In the 12th episode, Eun-soo and Young-soo go on a date to the zoo. They visit the Children’s Grand Park, which holds a zoo, a botanical garden, and a recreation park. It is visited by couples and families and is especially popular in the spring when the cherry blossoms are out in full bloom. If you want to experience beautiful nature within Seoul city, this is a good place to visit. Admission to the Park is free, but some facilities inside charge a fee.

Korea Travel Phone: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)

Website: http://www.sisul.or.kr/grobal/eng/park/park01.jsp (Korean, English)

Transportation: Subway Line 7, Children’s Grand Park station, exit 1→Walk 100 meters

N Seoul Tower

676268_1_20.jpg

To comfort Eun-soo who is upset about the possible divorce of her parents, Young-soo takes her to N Seoul Tower. In the 14th episode, Eun-soo tells Young-soo that as a young child, she came to the N Seoul Tower with her brother when her parents had a fight. It is here that Young-soo proposes to Eun-soo. In the 15th episode, Eun-soo comes here again after Young-soo suddenly disappears right before their wedding. N Seoul Tower is the symbol of Seoul and is always filled with couples. It has a beautiful panoramic view of the city. On the steel fence outside N Seoul Tower couples place padlocks to pledge their eternal love. When going up to the tower, don’t forget to take the red cable car just as Eun-soo and Young-soo did.

→Click for N Seoul Tower

My Sweet Seoul

List Price: US $39.99

Product Details

Cast: Choi Kang-hee, Lee Sun-gyun, Ji Hyun-woo

Director: Park Heung-sik

Format: NTSC

Language: Korean

Subtitles: English

Region: Region 1, 4, 5

Aspect Ratio: 1:85:1

Number of Discs: 4 Discs

Publisher: SBS International

DVD Release Date: November, 2008

Approx. Run time: 960 Min.

dvd_mysweetseoul_z2.jpgdvd_mysweetseoul_z1.jpgdvd_mysweetseoul_z3.jpg

http://www.sbs-int.com/eng/x_bbs/e_bbs_dvd...mp;i_re_level=0

• 5 weeks later...

A MOST BEAUTIFUL TV SERIES

mysweetseoule04kor08061jz2.jpg

I guess many were disappointed with the ending, but I think the ending was OK (atleast nobody died in the end). YS was still trapped in the past, so he needed time to be free of the guilt. ES also needed time to accept this part of him...so they had to live apart for awhile..for healing to take place for both. YS wanted to start anew as TK and deep inside he really wants ES to accept him as TK. And so when they were both ready, they met again to have a new start, a second chance...It is really bitter sweet...but sweet nonetheless. THIS IS REALLY A VERY GOOD DRAMA SERIES, it is a real "feel good" treat, it's funny, light, realistic, and really wonderful. (Eventhough I just recently discovered it).

676268_1_17.jpg

Let's remember their happy moments

THE UNFORGETTABLE CHARACTERS

Choi Kang Hee (Eun Soo)

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

ckh1.jpgchk2.jpg

Many didn't like her for the role, but I think she was perfect for it. It was intended that viewers feel off because of her character's indecisiveness and being fickle, and so they did dislike her, meaning CHK is a very good actress to create that effect. As Eun Soo she had to look way too old than her real age (well with that hairstyle) but still she shone as a trendsetter of her own brand of unique fashion. For real she is indeed a model and a fashion icon.

Lee Sun Gyun (Young Soo / Tae Kyung)

LSG001.jpg

The Real Love

Mr. Handsome! Very intense. His voice ....His smile can melt any girl right on the spot. Actually I'm still melting. :sweatingbullets: He has that funny smirk, and the sweetest smile. A very good actor and a great singer too. Now I'm one of his avid fans.

Ji Hyun Woo ( Tae Oh)

seoul1-020.jpg

The Cute Boyfriend

JHW is really boyisly cute and sweet. He has his funny ways that is so endearing. He also sings well and great with the guitar.

Kim Young Jae (Yoo Joon)

seoul2-009.jpg

The Best Friend

KYJ was the very dear bestfriend and soulmate. He has his sweet ways too. Very dependable and always there to listen and give advice.

I'm with you berny. I do love the drama, in fact it has become one of my favorites ! I also think My Sweet Seoul is one of those beautiful kdramas I've ever watched. I too love Lee Seon-gyun after seeing him as Young-soo.

• 1 month later...

Wedding Bells for Moon Jung Hee

Source: KPculture

Actress Moon Jung Hee (33) released her studio wedding photos to the media.

20090401104413138b0_110036_0.jpg

The couple will tie the knot on the evening of April 3 at Villa de Bailey, an upscale wedding venue in Nonhyun-dong. The ceremony will be private; however, a press conference is scheduled to be held at 4pm.

The groom is a corporate employee who is two years older than Moon. They were introduced to each other by a close mutual friend after the groom returned from completing his MBA in the States a few years ago. They have been dating for about two years.

Moon stated, "From [experiencing] the profundity of life through marriage, I think I'll be able to act better."”

Moon Jung Hee is currently filming the historical drama Empress Chun Chu as Empress Moon Hwa. She has also recently been cast as the female lead in The Sorrows of Young Werther, a film adaptation of the book by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. //

2d6kry8.jpg

img231812.jpg

img1665527.jpg

img2318110.jpg

img1665529.jpg

img2318112.jpg

img231811.jpg

Moon Jung Hee's Wedding Day

Source: KPculture

Actress Moon Jung Hee got married on April 3.

PP09040300038.JPG

Prior to the ceremony, she held a press conference where she answered questions from reporters.

Moon told the press, "I cried a lot when I received the proposal through a card. It was written on the card, 'I will try to be a good husband, good father, and good son-in-law.'"’”

She also said, "Since [he] works at a company, I will prepare his breakfast well. Then, I think that [he] will say that I'm a helpful wife."”

When asked about plans for children, Moon responded that she thinks it'll be best to plan for them as quickly as possible due to her age. They are considering having two children.

Due to the filming schedule for Empress Chun Chu, the newlyweds have delayed their honeymoon for the time. They will, however, take a holiday this weekend to Jeju-do.

The ceremony began at 6pm, with talent Yoon Hee Seok as MC. It was followed by a reception hosted by SBS announcer Yoon Young Mi. The congratulatory song was sung by Park Ki Young. Celebrities Han Hye Jin, Lee Sun Kyun, Choi Kang Hee, Jin Jae Young, Lee Sang Woo, Park Tam Hee, Hong Rok Gi, and Lee Jong Su were among approximately 600 guests in attendance. //

2009040318514863794_191213_1.jpg

See also: [Dahee's Plastic Castle] Moon Jung Hee's Wedding

http://spn.edaily.co.kr/plus/starGalleryPo...asp?hot_cd=1122

http://spn.edaily.co.kr/plus/starGalleryPo...asp?hot_cd=1123

c/o kdramafanusa@LSG thread

PP09040300034.JPG

Aww~ how sweet. The only one missing from the gang is Kim YoungJae. Congratulations to Moon JungHee and her groom!^^

• 3 months later...
Guest dori dori

lauren2b2-- you basically said everything I was going to!~ Even down to the sex and the city comment.

Definitely on my list of favs~!

• 4 months later...
Guest tikogang

Hi .. I just realised there is a nice song sang by a male singer at the end of Episoid 14. Any idea it is sang by who?? have been searching for the song.. thanks

Archived