[drama 2008] My Sweet Seoul / My Bittersweet City 달콤한 나의 도

Guest huangsy

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ji hyun woo nExt promising actor !!

His next project:-

Lee Tae Ran, Kim Sung Soo, Ji Hyun Woo will lead the weekend drama "My Beloved Gem (내사랑 금지옥엽, 金枝玉葉)" scheduled to be aired by KBS2 on 9/6, following the final episode of "Mom Has Grown Horns". credit : CindyW88

Thanks WITHS2 for the sub ^^......It's more touching now that you understand the whole picture....

Ep.14 was one of my favs and I was touched when ES bluntly asks YS to marry her and that the proposal itself wasn't the one she's imagined of. I also love the scene where YS proposed ES. And yeah, only 16 pages of lurve for this drama..... :tears:

Guest Gromit

It's gets better with each episode!! I'm on 14 and can't wait for 15 and 16!

It's probably mention in the show but why is black bean called black bean???

And don't you people think Yoo Joon is cute???

Young Soo is so much a better match for Eun Soo but the love between her and Tae Oh was really touching.

I just finished watching ep16 - actually loved the ending!

it was a treat to see how Eun Soo's character develops into a more understanding, confident, and brave person, along with her friends. The whole cast was amazing!

I'm so glad I watched this drama, it has become one of my favorites!

Finally finish epi 15&16, I love the ending too!!! And I would like to repeat what tadzio said--love that how Eun Soo's character develops into a more understanding, confident, and brave person, along with her friends. The whole cast was amazing!

I have not seen such a great drama for a long time. (I like Love Story in Harvard, but it's still kind of 'commercial' oriented...) The equally great one I saw last time was 2003 (or 2002?), a chinese drama, 似水年華(Si Shui Nian Hua), highly recommend to everybody if you like "My Sweet Seoul", I can't find the English sub for it, but here's a youtube mv just let you get a feel of it:

and you can watch on tudou, here's the first half part of epi 1:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/_hB6qULb8lM/

"My Sweet Seoul" is now my favorite! Though this thread is not so exciting as "On Air", I believe there're a lot of quiet and slow (like Young Soo) readers who like this drama very much. It's not a drama that intended to have high ratings. It's so different, beautiful, and unique. It's more like a movie indeed. I wish I could read the book too, but too bad my korean is not good enough.

I really appreciate the talent of the director, Park Heung Sik, and the scriptwriter, Song Hye Jin. So I also searched back and watched some of their earlier works, My Mother The Mermaid, The Railroad, and I Wish I Had A Wife. They're all good. And you see a bit Lee Seon Gyun in My Mother The Mermaid as Jeon Do Yeon's boyfriend. Whoever is interested to watch here are the links on crunchyroll:

The Railroad (2007)

My Mother, the Mermaid (2004)

I Wish I Had a Wife (2001)

THE SUNFLOWER EXERCISE!

YYCAFSweetSeoul016KO_CN07344615-39-.jpg

YYCAFSweetSeoul004KO_CN02501115-35-.jpg

Guest huangsy

Thx Akie for sharing. I've also seen the films you recommended except for My Mother, the Mermaid (2004).

There is another underrated drama starring Soo Ae, title is 9 End 2 Outs.

YYCAFSweetSeoul012KO_CN00816803-11-.jpg

Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint Exupéry

translated from French by Lewis Galantiere

p.26 (This is the part ES recite )

Life may scatter us and keep us apart; it may prevent us from thinking very often of one another; but we know that our comrades are somewhere "out there"--where, one can hardly say--silent, forgotten, but deeply faithful. And when our path crosses theirs, they greet us with such manifest joy, shake us so gaily by the shoulders! Indeed we are accustomed to waiting.

YYCAFSweetSeoul016KO_CN00803001-07-.jpg

The book that Young Soo treasured is also a wonderful book by the same author of "The Little Prince", Antoine de Saint Exupéry. He wrote this book, Terre des Hommes (literally, Land of Men, English edition titled Wind, Sand, and Stars), 4 years before "The Little Prince". It is a memoir about how he survived a plane crash in Sahara desert--- actually was an experience led to part of the later "Little Prince".

Reading this book is a delight, he told us his flying story with his own style of blending philosophy and amazing fairy tale imaginations together, made us ponder about the value of human relationships and the meaning of life... You get to understand how this book inspired and comforted Young Soo and how it connected to the drama's bittersweet theme.

YYCAFSweetSeoul005KO_CN04039202-40-.jpg

ES: Sometimes, you think there's something that could never happen to you, but one day you look and it's already happened. It feels like the ground is shaking under you.

ES: "So all living things live in danger." Didn't you mention this before? I felt consoled by them strangely.

ES: Do I just have to wait? Just wait for time to pass? After time has passed, will everything return to its original position?

________________________________________________________________________________

Thx Akie for sharing. I've also seen the films you recommended except for My Mother, the Mermaid (2004).

There is another underrated drama starring Soo Ae, title is 9 End 2 Outs.

huangsy, "9 End 2 Outs" is good? Thank you for recommending it. I'll definitely check it out. :)

Ending Drawings

mss16.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love this film

I love couple Young Soo and Eun Soo

I love Nam Yoo, Jane, Yoo Joon, Tae Oh...

I love all

hoatuongtu, me too. I love them all. Thank you for your first post giving to this thread, encouraging the quiet supporters leave your comments, even just a short one is a welcome feedback to the drama we love. :wub:

The only part of the script I think it's sort of unconvincing to me is--- How Tae Kyung can use Young Soo's identity for almost ?-18 years, run a successful company? and Jane found out Young Soo is officially missing in record since '93. It's very weak. Housing, mortgage, company, banking, tax return, driver's license, credit card........ you name it, it's not like he's been living in a distant isolated primitive place, but Seoul, and I think Korea is very strict of their Residential Number. (I got that feeling from that almost every korean website if you want to register they ask you about it, very annoying!) So actually he can just change a name and didn't need to 'borrow' (or exchange?) the identity. And why the real Young Soo want 'it' back now? What's the 'it' means?

Can someone who has read the book tell us what's the difference between the book and the drama? I am so curious. Thanks! :)

Say good-bye to Tae Oh....

TO:

Thank you for the sneakers. I'll wear them for a long, long time.

YYCAFSweetSeoul012KO_CN03779821-36-.jpg

ES:

Like schoolmates who hadn't seen each other in a year,

Our conversation was neither deep nor shallow.

Like he had written, we have so many things we want to say.

But our time has already passed us by.

Still, I listened to everything he had wanted to say.

And he, too, would probably have listened to all the words in my heart.

The background song:

HOMESICK by Kings of Convenience

I'll lose some sales and my boss won't be happy,

But I can't stop listening to the sound

Of two soft voices

Blended in perfection

From the reels of this record that I've found.

Every day there's a boy in the mirror asking me...

What are you doing here?

Finding all my previous motives

Growing increasingly unclear.

I've traveled far and I've burned all the bridges

I believed as soon as I hit land

All the other options held before me,

Would wither in the light of my plan.

So I'll lose some sales and my boss won't be happy,

But there's only one thing on my mind

Searching boxes underneath the counter,

On a chance that on a tape I'd find...

A song for someone who needs somewhere to long for.

Homesick.

Because I no longer know where home is.

YYCAFSweetSeoul016KO_CN05779001-33-.jpg

ES:

I see the sneankers. Even softer and more comfortable than when they're new.----(as the friendship between ES and TO now)

YS:

All living things live in danger.

That line brings me comfort at times.

BittersweetCityE03KO_CN07119602-25-.jpg

German philosopher Nietzsche in his book 'Gay Science' said: "For believe me!---the secret of realizing the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment of existence is: to live dangerously!"

Nietzsche had this "Live Dangerously" written on his wall. He claimed it was to remind him "My fear is great."----Sometimes you need to "let go" and live life as a great adventure.

Why live dangerously instead of protecting yourself from change to maintain security? Because security isn't secure, and life always changes. His idea of "live dangerously" was when you're offered a choice, choose the one that make you grow, not the safe one or comfortable one or socially accepted one. If you fear doing something, and you have the courage to do it anyway, then whatever the result will provide an opportunity to learn and grow.

TO took ES to see the French movie 'Jules et Jim' (1962, by Truffaut), their first date after the one night stand.

jej.jpg

This is one of the classic scenes of the movie, Catherine dressed like a boy and they run across the bridge. The camera man was running backward to create the 'special effect', an inventive camera style at that so called 'French New Wave' time.

After the movie, ES said that Catherine's a bit too greedy, always wanted the things she couldn't get. But TO thought that Catherine is free-spirited which is why she's attractive. I think the movie is more about the friendship between Jules and Jim, how they dealt with the love they both suffered.

The popular song, "Le Tourbillon" (The Whirlwind), summed up the turbulence of the lives of the three characters. TO sang it so cute, kind of mischievous, I've never heard that in Korean lyrics, "We met through a kiss, but after that everything got messy."

Btw, I also like Jules's big sandglass in the film, a fun way to hurry things up!

Le tourbillon de la vie

by Jeanne Moreau

If you're curious about the lyrics, go here and scroll all the way down for a translation.

Here I found the Chinese sub to watch online:

Jules et Jim (part1)

Jules et Jim (part2)

And also an interview with the director Truffaut, he talked about how he found the book, how he became friend with the book's authour....... very nice clip. As he said, the movie is faithful to the book, however, still a condensation, the book is even more beautiful and complete.

François Truffaut - Jules et Jim Interview

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The film TO and ES watched together outdoor in the park, also a French gem, Les Parapluies de Cherbourg (The Umbrellas of Cherbourg) by Jacques Demy, 1964. As TO introduced in the beginning, it's a musical, the biggest charm of this film is the lovely music, all dialogue, every single line is sung, even the most casual conversation. Catherine Deneuve was so pretty. I usually don't like musical that much, but don't know why I love this film. (Maybe partly because they sang the word so clear I can practice my listening skill of French, of course the song is moving too.)

umbrellasofcherbourg.jpg

TO also hummed the theme song, "Mon amour ne me quitte pas" (My love, don't leave me), again so cute.

Mon amour ne me quitte pas

If you just want to know the story, go here. (spoiler)

The film has a marvelous ending:

Chinese subbed online:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_cc00XMjYwMTg3MTI=.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the movie ES run into her mom, Kung Fu Panda (2008)

kungfupandaposter2.jpg

I haven't watch it yet, it supposed to help promote the 2008 Summer Olympics.

http://www.kungfupanda.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YYCAFSweetSeoul006KO_CN00524800-26-.jpg

Epi. 6 TO searched high and low for this dvd (Nuovo Cinema Paradiso, 1988), but then they ended up doing more romantic thing...

I'd like to watch it sometime.

CinemaParadiso.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_Paradiso

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one, ES (and TO) are passengers A and B!!! B):rolleyes:

TO: "You acted so well, and you looked so pretty, but you can barely be seen. You have to keep your eyes open wide to spot you!"

YYCAFSweetSeoul012KO_CN03901200-30-.jpg

Interesting title: I am walking. A lovely gift from TO to ES, also ES happened to give TO a pair of sneakers....

mss11-1.gif

At That Time

당신이 쌓은 벽과 내가 쌓은 벽사이에

When, between the wall you built, and the wall I built

꽃한송이 피어나고

A flower blooms

당신의 지난날과 내가 지나온 날들이

When, the days you've lived, and the days I've lived

그 꽃위에 바람되어 불고

Become the wind blowing above the flower

당신의 고운 눈가에 이슬처럼 눈물이

The tears like dew in the corners of your lovely eyes

내 파리한 이마위에도 굵은 땀방울이

The thick beads of sweat on my lean forehead

그 애처로운 꽃잎 위에 촉촉히 내리고(촉촉하게)

They fall wetly on those pitiful petals

Wetly

당신이 쌓은 벽과 내가 쌓은 벽사이에

When, between the wall you built, and the wall I built

그꽃이 바람에 꽃씨를 나릴때

That flower spreads its seeds to the wind

그때

At that time

(간주)

당신의 고운 눈가에 이슬처럼 눈물이

The tears like dew in the corners of your lovely eyes

내 파리한 이마위에도 굵은 땀방울이

The thick beads of sweat on my lean forehead

그 애처로운 꽃잎 위에 촉촉히 내리고(촉촉하게)

They fall wetly on those pitiful petals

Wetly

당신이 만든 창과 내가 만든 창문사이

When, between the window you built, and the window I built

그꽃이 가득피어 아름다운 꽃밭 될때

That flower becomes a beautiful blooming field of flowers

그꽃이 가득피어 아름다운 꽃밭 될때

That flower becomes a beautiful blooming field of flowers

그때

At that time

(English translation credit WITH S2, Thank you all for the hard work!)

YYCAFSweetSeoul010KO_CN06356904-04-.jpg

The CORNER Cafe!! How cute!!! :)

akie

Thank you so much for all those lovely gif and more information on the French movies that To and ES went to see... Those were the best moment TO and ES had together...

I can totally see myself dating someone like TO... he may not have the money to take you out to a nice place for dinner but he makes it up by making you feel good all around... to top it off, he sings too.

I'm still working on the drama... I need the sub and so I'm still working on it.

I also thought The Corner Cafe was cute... I would of never thought or even come up with a name like that for my cafe... I wish we have a Corner Cafe around where I live...

epi.8

mss8-2.gif

A cell phone that holds no reply...

...is too big.

It's heavy.

Just in case I might miss it, I took it with me when I washed up.

I got angry, and turned it off.

I try and try to bear it, but even after I give in

and turn it back on...

It's empty.

YYCAFSweetSeoul008KO_CN06389321-24-.jpg

수선화에게

정 호 승 Jeong Ho Seung

울지마라 (Do not cry.)

외로우니까 사람이다. (You are a person because you're lonely.)

살아간다는 것은 외로움을 견디는 일이다. (Living means enduring loneliness.)

공연히 오지 않는 전화를 기다리지 마라 (Don't wait for a phone call that never comes.)

눈이오면 눈길을 걸어가고 (When snow falls, walk on a snowy road.)

비가오면 빗길을 걸어가라. (When it rains, walk under the rain.)

갈대숲에서 가슴검은 도요새도 너를 보고 있다. (The black-breasted long bill in the reeds is watching you, too.)

가끔은 하느님도 외로워서 눈물을 흘리신다. (Sometimes, God sheds tears as well.)

새들이 나뭇가지에 앉아 있는 것도 외로움 때문이고 (The birds cry in the trees as well.)

네가 물가에 앉아 있는 것도 외로움 때문이다. (And you, sitting by the water's edge.)

산그림자도 외로워서 하루에 한 번씩 마을로 내려온다. (Even the shadows of the mountains leave for the village out of loneliness sometimes.)

종소리도 외로워서 울려 퍼진다.

(Englsh translation credit WITH S2)

At the end of epi 8, ES walked on the street, and saw the poem by Jeong Ho Seung, she recited the voice inside her, a little bit sad, but tranquilizing.

Jeong Ho Seung (鄭浩承) is a popular Korean poet. I've read one of his books that translated in Chinese. I love it. "幸福的理由". It contains 23 fairy-tales to enlighten us on the true meaning of love and happiness. I hope there will be more translated work of his poems /books in the future. :)

akie

Thank you so much for all those lovely gif and more information on the French movies that To and ES went to see... Those were the best moment TO and ES had together...

I can totally see myself dating someone like TO... he may not have the money to take you out to a nice place for dinner but he makes it up by making you feel good all around... to top it off, he sings too.

I'm still working on the drama... I need the sub and so I'm still working on it.

I also thought The Corner Cafe was cute... I would of never thought or even come up with a name like that for my cafe... I wish we have a Corner Cafe around where I live...

lin

So you have 2 more epi to go? Hope I didn't give too much spoiler.

Epi 8 is my favorite. It's the 'transition period' of ES's love life. TO is gradually leaving, while YS is approaching before you know it... ES needs to think with whom she's going to walk together...

Though ES and TO loved each other, but their relationship just couldn't work out. The misunderstandings were really the understandings of the differences of the heart between them. However, ES still wanted to hold it longer... the warm, sweet feeling of TO...

YYCAFSweetSeoul008KO_CN01130000-00-.jpg

YYCAFSweetSeoul008KO_CN01191023-58-.jpg

YYCAFSweetSeoul008KO_CN01249200-02-.jpg

http://daumbgm.nefficient.co.kr/mgbdamu/A0...00141886415.wma

(audio credit shirley)

We've never seen the sea together.

Or an autumn leaves-strewn street.

Or a snowy street.

We don't even have any pictures we took together.

I knew.

That the blinker in my heart

was always just a blinker.

This is a beautiful love,

but it has to come to an end eventually.

But, why?

Why?

Tae Oh.

Where are you?

In the meantime, YS started to have feelings for ES since that raining day when he saw her sad face. He found himself always smiling, he's ready for opening his heart--changed to short-sleeves.

ES and YS had good time in Jeju Island. The wall met her in the corner.

YYCAFSweetSeoul008KO_CN02138114-07-.jpg

YYCAFSweetSeoul008KO_CN02755914-09-.jpg

YYCAFSweetSeoul008KO_CN02834700-26-.jpg

YYCAFSweetSeoul008KO_CN03493000-29-.jpg

If I were ES, it's really hard to choose.

TO is passionate, talented, energetic, romantic, but much younger, with unsteady income.

YS is calm, considerate, gentle, handsome, a CEO, but slow, serious, and unemotional.

Sometimes you like the clingy TO, sometimes you get bored with the 'old couples style' YS, sometimes you enjoy YS's peaceful and quiet, sometimes you just wish TO is 'oppa'.

It's interesting to see the process of ES's growing up. Being 31 is not easy.

akie, thank you for the beautiful summaries.....I love it ! Please continue making the summary because as you said there're a lot of quiet & slow readers (like YS) who like this drama so much.

I too really love this drama. It's beautiful, funny yet heartwarming at the same time. Definitely one of my favorites k-dramas so far. Actually, it's like a dream coming true since I was waiting for a drama that can be equally compared to my all time fav MBC's Thank You. So you can say now that I have found what I had been looking for and that really makes me happy ^^

Unlike you, it's not really hard to choose if I were ES. I'll definitely choose YS for his calm, considerate & gentle personality despite him being slow, serious & unemotional, but that's among the qualities of a man if you're looking for a husband.

Episode 8 was also one of my favs because I was rooting for ES-YS from the beginning. The transition periode of ES' love life indeed, and it led her to YS' arms.

mssdabannerho4.jpg

BROUGHT TO YOU BY WITH S2

WRITTEN IN THE HEAVENS SUBBING SQUAD

:wub: CELEBRATING WITH S2 69th COMPLETED PROJECT :wub:

EPISODE 15 ENGLISH SUBS

CREDITS:

Main translator: ai*

Spot Translator: Dahee Fanel

Timer: doozy

Editor/QC: Suz07

Coordinators: mily2, ay_link

EPISODE 16 ENGLISH SUBS