[drama 2008] Robbers 불한당

Guest o-cha

hjkomo - thanks for saving the episode for me!

I also just re-watched this episode - and there were a few things that "made me look"

-when DalRae walks away from the gym after they re-show the breakup scene

- she's stumbling down an avenue that is displaying banners for a VanGogh exhibit - and they're using his "self portrait" - which is the one Van Gogh painted AFTER he chopped off his own ear -

and I flashed on this parallel universe of Oh Joon and Van Gogh - both despising themselves -

-ALSO - this episode was missing BIG CHUNKS of background music -

where you would normally have low volume underscore - there were these big vacuous scenes filled with dialogue but no "tone"... it's a music thing that i just happen to be familiar with - and so indeed, this episode had issues with sound that are usually associated with rapid editing - there's always white noise when the mics are running - but in this episode without the music to distract you - you can actually hear them "muting" the white noise during the silences - that bothered me...

I'd bet my 20 plus years in movie and tv production that SOMETHING went wrong in the production of this episode.

It wasn't just the monkeys!

-we see JinGoo's father in his office - i think this is the first time we've seen him in his office,

(correct me if I'm wrong!)

and not in his bed or on the couch watching TV - or out at restaurants - or having men beat people up !

and we see the the CASH and CHECK sign big as life behind JinGoo's father -

-so as o-cha and i were referring to several pages earlier -

Jingoo's dad is and has always been a ruthless money lender...

feeding off of people's misfortune only to terrorize them more at outrageous interest....

He has no compassion, such as Park Shin Yang's character in Money Warfare -

This will go down as the worst and most depressing episode every played on a day designated for love and joy and happiness - VALENTINE'S DAY. (NOT the WORST episode ever - but the worst for valentine's day!)

Hey - let's write to SBS and have them add that category to their awards at the end of the year -

AND FOR THE WORST EPISODE PLAYED ON A VALENTINE'S DAY 2008 - the envelope please.....

...ROBBERS EP. 13 !!

SOOOO, from a production/technical standpoint - this episode already had problem areas before you even consider the content..

P.S. to hjkomo - BADUY is posting great and insightful missives over on the BLISS/(I AM) HAPPY thread for the Sat/Sun SBS new drama..... :o FOUND HIM!!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUESTION:

Does anyone know how the TWO "former gangsters" that were with the "nail-clipping" boss,

ended up back in the money lending business -

When they showed up to "watch/monitor" Oh Joon at the gym -

WHO sent them - I mean I know it was Oh Joon's guy that Oh Joon was paying the money to,

but how did "nail-clipper's" men end up with HIM -

or did Jingoo's dad, i.e. the BIG BOSS/GODFATHER "assign" them somewhere...

I'm sure the SUBS will clear it up - but in the meantime -

does anyone know why they left the boss that was trying to save them from money lending???

^^ Yeah, I noticed the VanGogh banners, but, of course, the non-artistic me didn't make the connection. ;)

I think this is the first time we've seen the Godfather in his office. That's how I knew to spell it CASH - N - CHECK. :lol:

My ear didn't pick up the difference in editing/music - again, me.left.brained.with.no.artistic.bone.in.body.

Drum roll ~~~~~~ ROBBERS EP. 13, IT IS!!

P.S. to hjkomo - BADUY is posting great and insightful missives over on the BLISS/(I AM) HAPPY thread for the Sat/Sun SBS new drama..... :o FOUND HIM!!

Aw, damn.....does that mean I have to add another drama to my list? :huh:

I'm trying hard enough as it is to squeeze Angry Mom into my schedule.

Sleep is kinda important, ya know. :wacko:And I sure ain't getting enough of it these days. :crazy: *yawns profusely*

Re: Larry and Curly and the moneylenders.

I haven't rewatched with subs yet, but I think Ho Jin told them to go their own way when he left the biz.

They know Mr. Hulk through the company, and I believe it was Mr. Hulk who sent them to keep a close eye on Oh Joon.

Guest rochinipark

just watched this in marathon style ep2-7.kinda enforced watching as had to reformat disk d with it inside.

the feel i get from this drama is good.all while it was like watching an act inside an act that is jang hyuk is acting as oh joon being a swindler in front of dal lae.had to really tune myself to see if its he's acting or not.da hae kinda being over the top with her character though,hope she tunes it down a bit.jang hyuk is amazing,having to pull off layers in his character.

yet oh joon has yet to tell her she's the one who wanted to con her.wonder how it builds from here.but i dun understand he can be soo good around soon dae.how can her understand how to play with a child?he's never had younger sibling,never exactly been a good man.but its good how he let loose with soon dae.

looking forward to seeing more eps.

THANKS WITHS2 TEAM :lol:

Thanx a lot WITHs2 for the subs! :D

A chinese article about Robbers

34f25f0143.jpg

2722a045cb.jpg

b49bce9d31.jpg

d2e4d38099.jpg

credits: baidu

---

The article basically highlighted the flow and direction the storyline and how LDH and JH managed to pull off a different altogether character as DR and OJ, as compared to their previous roles.

Guest DorkyCeeee

Woohoo!

I am soo looking forward to watching this. It recently aired the first 2 episode here.

Now I just have to find the TIME. ): But it seems really interesting!

I read the spoilers and comments of Ep 13, too bad it wasn't really that good. Assuming that all of you loved EP 12, you guys must have expected something more from the consecutive ep.

Gosh, Ep 12 made me bawl like crazy...esp towards the end. :tears:

Watching OJ suffer was really very heartbreaking..and tormenting. I cried and cried so much for him..

:tears: I feel as if I'm rewatching MISA, how MH, So Ji Sub's character struggled to live with the bullet in his head. It's the same thing happening to OJ here.. they're literally going thru the same process, of having to live with a sickness and struggling not to tell anybody and pushing everybody away. It's just sooooo sad..

The ending scene of Ep 13 was really very good IMO.. both LDH and JH again, displayed a good performance with their emotions. Esp JH, I must commend him for his great acting there. A touch of brilliance in his emotions. I was more than just impressed...

Guest imogene_af

^

I'm doing a marathon on Episode 12 and 13.

Episode 12 is definitely the DIRECTOR'S SHOW, it was beautiful and heartbreaking. Everything from the cinematography, to the pans, to the music. I wish I can talk more... but I'll gush about it later, on to watch Episode 13. :lol:

Edited to add: Thanks for the scans. :)

I just rewatched ep. 9 with the subs (thank you WITHS2)

And I'm reminded that there are so many great things about this series.

I will always remember this series because of the JinGoo character -

Oh Joon is a bad guy learning to interface with the world.....bad boy turned good boy.

But JinGoo - is a seriously emotional and psychological midget.

and his growth into more functional interacting human being - to me, in my own opinion -

is WAY more interesting to watch -

Ep. 9 is the eppie - when he surprises DalRae and gives her the roses -

and the subs cleared up those little time-line issues that you miss without the subs.

What i don't want - is to see anymore people being beaten up with fists and/or bats/sticks.

That stuff is hard to watch - and for me - not entertaining at all.

imogene_af -

I'm really looking forward to your notes on ep. 13.

It was a tough episode for me - if you have time - please post your observations!

Thanks!

But JinGoo - is a seriously emotional and psychological midget.

and his growth into more functional interacting human being - to me, in my own opinion -

is WAY more interesting to watch -

LOL!!! I'm so glad he's not turning the way of the eeevil second lead. :sweatingbullets:

Resync subs. The Manila 1.5gb version does not resync, just rename it but just in case, here's the link. The 1.5gb SHinhwa version however needs resyncing:-

1.5gb Robber Ep9 Manila resync subs

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QM4PLP8H

1.5gb Robber Ep9 Shinhwa resync subs

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HBRCQHG0

1.5gb Robber Ep13 Manila

Part1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JPK15Z0A

Part2 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L05QNS00

Part3 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KWDM1E6D

Thanks to jtranla, taken HD Corea

hjkomo - I agree with you about Oh Joon's hair -

Not only does it look like a wig (which I'm sure it's not)

but with the scarf wrapped around his neck -

He looks like an ELVIS impersonator -

*so if Oh Joon goes with ManDu to see the accupuncturist -

she might stick needles in his eyes and cure him?

*isn't there a children's rhyme that ends with "stick a needle in my eye" ???

Guest sakura_dubai

CREDITS:

EPISODE 9 ENGLISH SUBS

*Ental* | *SHiNHWA*

Main Translators: momolhasa, angele0487

Spot Translator: saturn

Timer: jann

Editor/QC: Suz07

Coordinators: mily2, ay_link

omo omo~ that's sooooooooo great ... ~

i couldn't see this drama without a sub~ i keep skipping many parts~ while i can watch HGD without a sub... dunno why~

anyway~finally i will be able to watch Robbers ep 9 with sub ^^ thanx to you all WITHS2 team :)

ELVIS impersonator - LOL! :lol:

Dress him in a white polyester jumpsuit, and have him sing "I ain't nothing but a hound dog! Cryin' all the time..." :lol:

"Cross my heart and hope to die,

stick a needle in my eye" :crazy:

Woo Hoo !!!!! 100 PAGES !!!!!! *FIREWORKS* :excl: :excl: :excl:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I just finished Ep 13... and it was a great episode for me. I'm not sure why some of you didn't like as much as Ep 12, cos I thought it was as good as Ep 12, if not, better. The only reason I could think of was that it kinda took a dramatic turn to the depressing side, and it wasn't really as heartwarming or relaxed as the previous episodes.

Well on Ep 13..

First thing - my eyes are swollen now. Because of the non-stop crying.. all the characters were so pitiful in this episode.

:tears:

irst it was DR..seeing her struggling to overcome the fact that OJ's left her, and seeing her trying to find excuses to defend him despite him leaving her like that.. was really heartbreaking. DR's such an angel.. no matter how many times OJ lied to her, and tried to use her, she always found a reason or excuse to understand him. She always had this soft spot for him no matter what.. I just feel so bad for her, to have the truth shielded away from her.

And OJ - I agree that he's really pitiful. No wonder ppl didn't want the drama to gear towards this direction..he's literally left with no money, love, trust, and even his dignity. To have ONE thing that he wished for - DR taken away from him in the blink of an eye - aikks.. the depressing feeling, it's not easy for him. I was bawling my eyes out when he told MD that he missed DR so much and yet he could NOT do anything, but to leave her. He IS very fortunate, to have a friend like MD, by his side.

Another scene which really touched me was his meeting with DR's mother. That scene showed how much DR's mother loved her daughter. She was willing to give in, to let OJ into their family no matter how much she despised him of his past. I know OJ was deeply touched by her gesture.. but too bad timing came in his way and he had to confess that he didn't want DR to be burdened by his sickness. I wanted to hug OJ there and then.. because the fact that he'd tried to be cool about it, and even smiled before he left.. arhhh.. the pain, how could he have held it in, when in fact he's crying so much inside? :tears:

Altho this episode had its drawbacks, I didn't think it was badly executed. The writers, well, sort of reverted back to the Kdrama cliches that we were hoping that they would avoid. Like DR eavesdropping on OJ and JG's father conversation about him agreeing to take the 10 Billion Won but missing on the part of him refusing the money at the end.. that's just one of the stereotypes Kdramas love to use. It probably would have been better if DR stayed a lil longer there.. but again, if it was done that way, there would be no DRAMA for us to watch.

I personally think it's good that the drama didn't drag the part of DR finding about OJ's first refusal of the money. Altho she probably thinks OJ's done for good, for accepting the money, NOW. At least she knows that he didn't do so in the beginning. And with JG redeeming himself for what he's done by telling DR about his father, it was really a nice touch by the writers.

It's not much..but I really enjoyed EP 13. It was sad and depressing yes, but it was really beautiful.

I don't mind the script gearing towards depressing elements.. as long as the story's still good.

Just love the fact that Robbers isn't draggy like other melodramas.. it's in fact one of the very few NOT draggy melodramas I've seen so far. And certainly, NOT boring or dull in anyway.. hehehe..

ELVIS impersonator - LOL! :lol:

Dress him in a white polyester jumpsuit, and have him sing "I ain't nothing but a hound dog! Cryin' all the time..." :lol:

"Cross my heart and hope to die,

stick a needle in my eye" :crazy:

Woo Hoo !!!!! 100 PAGES !!!!!! *FIREWORKS* :excl: :excl: :excl:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

wah hahahaha :lol::lol::lol: You are so funny hjkomo. Just read your post in the KGD thread about Jang Geun Suk's character having Gom's voice and now this . . . . . *rolling with laughter like a maniac*

Archived