Jeon Ji Hyun 전지현 - Upcoming Drama : Polaris

hongchae1

[Cine feature] The era of “Visible Women” of Korean cinema arrives

144203464176_20150913.PNG

Actresses and women characters in 2015 Korean cinema

It is difficult to list non-monodrama films that have no female character at all, and it is even more difficult to list films where female characters take the control of the story and remain “uninstrumentalized” by male-created perspectives. Represented by a handful of women characters, labor drama Cart, comedy Venus Talk and horror film The Silenced might be three of the extremely few exceptions.

Some say blame the market where female-driven movies don’t sell, others say there is no actress who can take such a big responsibility to carry the whole movie on her own, while the rest say there is no such film with proper women characters to begin with.

As if they were to prove that the latter does not work, a few 2015 films did present dominating female characters. That is exceptionally exceptional considering the decade-long trend of the Korean film industry that has been weighted to towards male-driven narratives. Though it does not necessarily mean that they made money or had right feminist approach, they do show that there are clearly those charming actresses who are capable of heading up an entire movie.

Women in Korean Noir and Action Movies

In most Korean noir movies, women characters are often illustrated as ambitious femme fatale that seduce males leads to rip them off (Marine Boy), or the boss' sexy mistress (For the Emperor, Gangnam Blues). There are also quite many cases where women characters are mere supporters to men (New World).

Assassination: Ode to the Unnamed Woman Sniper

144203464217_20150913.PNG

2015's most successful local release, Choi Dong-hoon's nationalist caper movie Assassination is full of characters and their stories. Among the bunch, female sniper Ahn Ok-youn, played by Gianna JUN, is no doubt the focal figure. Creating striking female characters is one of Choi's strengths. In Tazza: The High Rollers, Kim Hye-soo was the game controller while four out of eight characters in his previous film The Thieves were female.

He says Assassination started from a simple idea that there must be women among those unnamed nationalists in the history and he wanted to bring that person to the center of the film. "I do not want to just display a female character without giving it a specific role in the drama," says Choi.

Centering on a woman sniper who leads the assassination team and makes decisions for them,Assassination is a rare rifle action drama that creates a room for a female protagonist. It is not merely a gender play where an actress plays a mannish character and styles the film as a female film; clearly a woman who chooses to disguise herself as her dead twin sister and undertake the mop-up operation in wedding dress that she would otherwise never wear, Ahn still makes the bold decision to devote herself to helping her country achieve independence.

Best appreciated for her girlish, pretty roles in romantic comedy My Sassy Girl, or hit TV drama My Love from Another Star, Jun seems to have succeeded in making her audience raise their expectations about her career with Assassination.

Actresses alive in earnestland of Korean cinema

Even Jun, who would unanimously be chosen as one of the top Korean actresses, says that it is extremely difficult for actresses to be picky about offers because they are not given a wide array of options to choose from.

2015 is a rare year where a handful of movies with female leads were made. Singer, actress Lee Jung-hyun was the cherry-on-top of newcomer Ahn Gooc-jin's low budget indie Alice in Earnestland, which made an exceptional hit for an independent genre film. Seo Yeong-hee in Cannes' Un Certain Regard screenerMadonna showed acclamation-winning performance and added depth to the tragic drama.

Again, about the lack of "real female films,“ some say blame the market where female-driven movies don’t sell, others say there is no actress who can drive. And the rest say there is no such film with proper women characters. With the first and the last theses still being ongoing issues, rest assured, Korean cinema does have actresses to do the job.

source: The Hankyoreh

Edited by demarchelier
  • Like 2

‘Assassination’ is 4th highest-grossing Korean film in North America

• Assassination

Assassination (Well Go USA/Showtime)

“Assassination,” one of South Korea’s film hits of the year, reportedly made $1.8 million in the North American box office as of last week, placing it at an all-time No. 4 for a Korean pic, Yonhap reported.

“The film has been selling out at least 80 percent of seats even during weekdays and during the day,” said North American distributor Well Go USA. “Major cinemas have extended screenings.”

Only “The Admiral” ($2.58 million), “Ode To My Father” ($2.3 million) and “The Host” ($2.2 million) have outperformed “Assassination” in the continent.

The film follows independence fighters during Japanese occupation of Korea and stars A-listers Jeon Ji-hyun, Ha Jung-woo and Lee Jung-jae.

cr.koreatimesus.com

• Like 2

201509140038081110_1_zpstc1j9ilj.jpg

ASSASSINATION'S HEO JI WON: "JEON JI HYUN FLEW IN 150 CHICKEN DINNERS FOR THE CAST AND CREW"

[Korean News - Newsen - 14 SEPT 2015]

When 'Assassination' supporting actor, Heo Ji Won, who plays Myeong Woo, was asked about working with Lee Jung Jae and Jeon Ji Hyun...

"In reality, Lee Jung Jae sunbae is my idol. I loved seeing my idol's affectionate side working with Jeon Ji Hyun sunbae because they looked so happy. Before filming the last scene with the sunbaes, I was so nervous that I couldn't sleep the night before. The sunbaes approached me first and gave me pep talks. Jeon Ji Hyun sunbae is so great and very easygoing. She even had 150 chicken dinners flown in for the cast and crew after filming in China ended. Watching them act together was an on-the-spot learning experience." 

201509122144041110_1_zpsi5gjva7q.jpg

JEON JI HYUN IS JIN KYUNG'S DAUGHTER IN ASSASSINATION?

[Korean News - Newsen - 12 SEPT 2015]

In the September 12th broadcast of KBS2's 'Entertainment Weekly' actress Jin Kyung was asked about being Jeon Ji Hyun's mother in 'Assassination'...

"It's difficult to imagine Jeon Ji Hyun being my offspring...Actually, I do have beautiful dimples. I did lose weight {laughing}."

Edited by demarchelier
  • Like 2

Jun Ji-hyun showcases slim figure for Nepa

(Nepa)

Outdoor clothing brand Nepa released photos of actress Jun Ji-hyun on Thursday showing her featured in photo spreads for the brand’s latest collection for the fall and winter seasons.

In candid, natural-looking photos sporting a “moment to get closer to nature” concept, the actress showcased a range of stylish items from the brand’s fall-winter collection.

Posing naturally against snow-covered mountains in the background, the actress sported a low-chroma orange down jumper and black jeggings for the winter.

In other photos, Jun wore a bright colored Windbreaker along with a colorful backpack and footwear for the autumn. Another eye-catcher is her tight jeggings that accentuate the slim figure she has managed to maintain, despite currently being five months into pregnancy.

The actress, who recently came back to the silver screen with the summer mega hit “Assassination,” is set to take a break and focus on her life as a mother-to-be for a while.

The photo spreads, including more of her photos and product details, will soon be available on the brand’s official website.

cr.kpopherald

• Like 3

‘Assassination’ is 4th highest-grossing Korean film in North America

Wow, mommy Ji-Hyun must be happy if she knows about that. Congratulations to Assassination team for all the success!

Happy to see the picture of her on instagram. I miss her sooo much. The girl, who take this pic of JJH in ssg food market mentions that she could see a little belly…I hope next time someone can take a pic of her baby bump for us :P

• Like 2

C-media Wonders Which K-actress Will be the Next Jeon Ji Hyun to Hit it Big in China

nexto1.jpg

The K-media is taking note of a recent Chinese newspaper article discussing which if the younger generation actresses will be the next Jeon Ji Hyun. Ms. Gianna Jun’s combined popularity domestically in Korea and internationally cannot be arguably unparallel, and thanks to You From Another Star got a stunning second wind that any actor or actress bend over backs for. The C-media is curious which of the next-gen K-actresses will hit the same popularity jackpot, not necessarily because Jeon Ji Hyun is on her way down or anything like that, but just mulling over who her successor may be.

The article focuses on six young ladies in particular – Suzyleading the way, Sulli formerly of f(x)Kang SoraKim Go Eun, and the three Kim teens Kim Sae RonKim Yoo Jung, and Kim So Hyun. The article discusses breakout hits for each star, such as Suzy for Introduction to Architecture, Kang Sora inMisaeng, or Kim Sae Ron from The Man From Nowhere, and potential upsides in their careers such being a critical darling for acting (Kim Go Eun), fan favorite for looks (Sulli), hardworking ethos (Kang Sora), and childhood star appeal for Kim Yoo Jung and Kim So Hyun.

I’m not going to discount any of the ladies named in the article as having potential to be the next Jeon Ji Hyun, and really that is a good question to consider since it’s a high high bar to reach. Park Shin Hye is really building her popularity domestically and internationally at the same time, but I think her fans think she’s more popular than she really is at this time. Not saying she’s not popular, and she definitely is laying the foundation now that could vault her to Jeon Ji Hyun level one day.

I think it’s too early for the the Kim teens to be in consideration, let’s talk in five years after they turn twenty, I don’t even know why Sulli is currently even included for discussion, and Kang Sora and Kim Go Eun are solid actresses but I’m not feeling the indelible spark that Jeon Ji Hyun has which sets her apart from other top K-actresses like Ha Ji Won and Jeon Do Yeon. In that way, Suzy does have that indescribable “it” thing which underlies her insane levels of popularity, and it’s just too bad she hasn’t demonstrated the acting chops that Jeon Ji Hyun has to back it up.

http://koalasplayground.com/2015/09/18/c-media-wonders-which-k-actress-will-be-the-next-jeon-ji-hyun-to-hit-it-big-in-china/

• Like 2

Guest FashionFreaky

5 Must-Have Korean Star Cardigans

A list of cardigans modeled by Korean actors, actresses and idols that are perfect for fall/winter!

by kpopbreak

The leaves are changing! Not here, obviously, but somewhere in the world. What’s it like guys? All I ever hear is complaining about raking leaves. Anyway, to celebrate the seasonal change here’s a winter-themed list that revolves around celebrity cardigans. From Seohyun‘s totally affordable Zara knit to Yoochun‘s ha-ha-in-your-dreams Bottega Veneta piece. Shop below!

1〉 DKNY Cropped Ribbed Pullover ($235.00)
Worn By Jun Ji Hyun in Marie Claire September 2015 Issue

Korean-Actress-Jun-Ji-Hyun-Gianna-Jun-Ro

Source: http://www.kpopbreak.com/2015/09/02/5-must-have-korean-star-cardigans/

I doubt any of those actresses mention above will ever reach Jeon Ji-Hyun popularity, because their success and pathway is different from JJH from the moment of their debut. Suzy and Sulli were already popular before their debut as an actress, fame coming from their girl gorup; Miss A and F(x) respectively. 

JJH fame and popularity is also different among K-actresses when compared to Song Hye-Kyo, Kim Tae-Hee, Ha Ji-Won and Ha Gan-In just to mention a few. Those actresses which I mention, focus more on TV dramas whereas JJH focused more on movies; which gave them more exposure to the media and they were always considered the great/ideal beauties of Korea. JJH popularity is only showed case to those who watches her movies depending on the level of success. As we are on the topic of her movies, only "My Sassy Girl" was a success and movies after that were not as successful which caused her popularity to drop. Her popularity only slowly rose again after the success of "The Thieves" and of course "You who came from the Stars". Prior her marriage, her overseas debut for "Blood: The last Vampire" and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" did not also receive much recognition. 

I am proud of JJH, during "that decade" she was able to overcome her hardship and work back up to where she is today. Considering this was not easy feat, to pull yourself back up and prove to everyone that you still have that talent which people can appreciate, love and admire. I believe things happen for a reason and she was at the right place and at the right time. Whether she missed previous opportunities, who knows but when "You came from the Stars" came she knew to grab onto that opportunity. And now when I re-watch the drama again, I wonder is anyone able to pulled from Cheong Sung-Yi's character - bipolar and have multiple personalities and characters. If there is someone I can compare JJH to, it would be Lee Young-Ae, I believe the two are good friends and yet their popularity and fame is quite similar. Wishing JJH all the best especially with bubz coming along as well as her future projects; hope to see her on screen after her pregnancy. 

• Like 2

i-dz4PXrv-X3.jpg

source: Buil Film Awards

24TH BUIL FILM AWARDS - OCTOBER 2 - HAEUNDAE GRAND HOTEL

8 NOMINATIONS FOR ASSASSINATION

BEST PICTURE

• ASSASSINATION
  • The Shameless
  • Hill of Freedom
  • The Classified File
  • A Matter of Interpretation

BEST DIRECTOR