Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Drama 2012] Five Fingers (다섯손가락)

Replies

• CherKellCherKell PERSIMMO-YUMMIES!!! Posts: 2,752Member

LEGEND

edited September 2012
    cafe99 said:
    Hi guys, does anyone know why the drama is called Five Fingers? because playing the piano involves using ten fingers... I don't know, I'm just curious about the title. 
    Well no -- speaking as a pianist myself, one does not necessarily NEED ten fingers to play; it does help, but it's not an absolute requirement (concert pianist Lee Hee Ah plays quite magnificently with only nine fingers).  In Episode 2, Ji-ho had told In-ha (who had his left wrist casted after the fish tank accident) that he was already a great pianist... "if all he [In-ha] had to offer was five fingers alone, then he [In-ha] could express the piece with them."  And there ya go.

In total agreement with everyone who has posted above, 'cause things are really heating up right now.  I do hope JSY does step up her game a bit; the character is supposed to be written as "feisty and determined," but I have yet to see that in her eyes just yet.  I assume her learning curve should increase once she's done with GAKSITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL this week (and curses on the liveshoot system!!).

BLEEP the ratings... I'm in it for the long haul no matter what. @Tarits, upon your recommendation, I may check out iOnAirTV's replacement prior to this Saturday's broadcast.  I had no problems with their live streaming, but the quality on wwiTV left a lot to be desired this past weekend.  I want the streaming to be so clear that I can count every pore on Our Boys' beautiful faces!! :x :x :x

Tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM (Pacific), SBS will be airing the segment where JCW is interviewed.  I'll put up a link as soon as SBS provides the content.  Let's just hope My Precious puts away the checkered suits for awhile now... :P
    cherkell twitter * Scotch and Asparagus: Drama Recaps * Ji Chang Wook Soompi Forum * Ji Chang Wook's Kitchen
    *DO NOT UPLOAD DAYROCK PHOTOS TO OTHER WEBSITES*   *DO NOT QUOTE PICTURES AND VIDEOS*
  • TaritsTarits Posts: 2,704Member

IDOL

edited September 2012
    cherKell - the site where I watch is clear and  yes, try it for $9.99 a month just to test it. When you have joined the site, when you click on the SB + profile, it gives an indicator up to when is your subscription. I have no regrets joining as I can sleep in peace Friday evenings and know I will wake up Saturdays and Sundays and be able to watch and enjoy dramas I follow.  Last 2 episodes, I watched with simple english sub which made me even more happy.  And the beauty of having joined the site is that all TV channels are there so I only need to click which channel the drama is airing and pronto, I am streaming live while it is airing in Seoul. Also, if you registered before at onair, your profile is kept by the new site so there is no need to re-register. Just log and you are in.

Here's the link for others who may want to try it too:

http://www.showboom.com/index.php

Here's Jihun and Jihun and Jihun: (credit moonlight drop)

• kayana20kayana20 new jerseyPosts: 2,716Member

IDOL

Lol the pinstripe suit looks cute. I am at a lost at who I should ship. Both OTP pairings have  cute chemistry and their backstories are so compelling.

IDOL

From f4 mom, I quote her post:

The main background in the "five fingers" is the residence of Thompson Group, a production company famous instrument.
    Trying to represent our emotions an actor and musical sensibility, the director luxurious atmosphere, setting mansion of companies belonging to the large group of five of South Korea from the atmosphere of the big house set space is organic using curve modern and directly It says pursuing the atmosphere bright and tastefully with indirect lighting and the overall finish high glossy form, and, in combination with a set finish furniture and props, and tried to express the high quality, low cost, high efficiency. Stand and lighting modern classic fabrics and it is going to point and was used in addition to the overall unity.

No wonder the house looks so luxurious.
  • babigirlzbabigirlz Posts: 42Member
    edited September 2012

I've felt that Hong Da Mi character has been taken back a bit because I would expect a lot from Eunjung. I don't meant to start a war or anything in comparison to the actress right now, but clearly from episode 5 till now her role is so little. Maybe there hasn't started the dramatic problem bla bla yet but I would love to see the depth in her acting more.

@blueagave I'm completely agreed with you because I don't see anything emotional hatred or stress from her yet in related her father's death. It seems like she doesn't even regconize the woman who is straightly messed with her family. Unlike her mom and brother, they always tried to find out the truth. I'm waiting to see how the director is slowly developing her character because in fact she is one of the main female lead in the drama.

I have no complain with the woman lead because she is rolling perfectly there. In episode 2 when her real face finally comes to shine, there goes shock me in the eyes, she twisted it 360 degrees as I had expected. There're saying that "no stepmom in the whole world would treat their stepson with their whole-hearted", I think it's exactly true! I somewhat felt bad for misunderstood the father and grandma, because they treated her not in a nice way but I guess everything has a reason now. She never uses her real her to treat them.

Added: I feel bad for Ji Ho because as said it seems like he has everything but really in fact, he only had music! His step-brother and stepmom are the worst. In episode 6 when he slept on the sofa and they were having a conversation while he's sleeping, it broke my heart for a minute there. I then notice the loneliness in Ji Ho's world. :(

♥ [Because It's You] â™¥

• blueagaveblueagave Posts: 184Member, New Member

IDOL

edited September 2012
    CherKell, I hope JSY is able to step it up after her other drama is over, but I'm disappointed that she doesn't appear to be getting much help with direction for how to play her character. Perhaps that's being worked on as we speak and we'll see a more layered Da Mi next week.

tarits, thanks for the background info on the show's settings. They seem to have put a lot of care into choosing the right sets, and I'm impressed because they are beautiful.

@babigirlz, I'm not familiar with Eunjung's acting, so I can't comment on whether she would have handled the non-verbal acting better when portraying Da Mi. However, I have a feeling she would have had the same problem because, for some reason, the PD seems to be trying to highlight how sweet and adorable Da Mi is. Instead, he should be trying to show that she's a flawed woman who doesn't always greet the world with a smile when no one's watching her.

I wish the PD would have directed JSY to play Da Mi as a character who is hanging by her fingernails trying to stay upbeat because that's the only way she can cope with what happened to her father. I would love to see some subtle facial acting that shows there's more going on with her and that's she's struggling to keep her anger and bitterness in check.

When she quickly lost her tuition money after working so hard to save it, we should have seen more of a reaction from her. I wanted to see some sign of deep seated anger or bitterness that, once again, she has to put her dreams on hold because of the person believed to be responsible for her family's troubles. Instead, she just showed a bit of sadness.

As was mentioned above, this added dimension to this character could have been communicated through Da Mi's facial expressions. The fact that we didn't get this kind of reaction is why I'm wondering if this is how this character is going to be throughout the drama. If that's the PD's plan, then I think Da Mi would be better as a supporting character and not a lead.

I'm okay with that, because the other three leads have me on the edge of my seat during their scenes. However, I wish I had that reaction to all four leads. At this point, I'm going to assume the PD wants to keep Da Mi as this inexplicably sweet little girl who thinks a frown is just a smile turned upside down. That way, if he surprises me and writes her with more depth, it will be a pleasant surprise.

• PavlichenkoPavlichenko Posts: 220Member

SUPERSTAR

edited September 2012
    Five Fingers The Making 5 (Jin Se Yeon):

Credit: http://runningmoon.pixnet.net/blog/post/38050407
    image">

sunshine4everMicherumarie67
  • hapha8714hapha8714 Posts: 234Member

IDOL

are they going to release an OST for this? please respond. pleaseeeeeee....

anyone?

IDOL

In the forthcoming Pusan International Film Festival where Jihun will attend and where his band "Jesters" will perform too, those who attend the event will be given a plaque like this that matches exactly the hand and fingers of Jihun. I think this is a project of the fans. (credit moonlight drop)

Many of the scenes in the drama are being done at Hanyang University of Korea:

and also this one:

• baduybaduy UKPosts: 2,547Member

SUPERSTAR

edited September 2012
    A brief return for a few random observations

I noticed that, at present at any rate, the Viki subs for the scene in ep 5 between YR and her stepmother Gye Hwa at the mansion breakfast table are some way off-target as well as incomplete. For anyone who wants to get a feel for the stab and crackle of this scene, here's my version of the dialogue. (it starts at about 00:42:00 in ep 5)

=====
    Spoiler:

GH: It can't be much fun, eating all alone at such a huge table,
    even though In Ha's back... But the youngsters are busy with their own lives, I guess.

YR: I've got used to it. I don't notice any more

GH: What do you mean, you got used to it? You got used to loneliness? Don't let old age creep up on you. You know what they say: sleeping alone means a good night's rest, but eating alone means indigestion.

YR: Have a leisurely breakfast before you leave. I'll look in on In Ha, then go to the company.

GH: I came here to tell you something. At the end of this month, I've got to vacate my place. I've signed the sale contract. I thought I'd move in here and take some of the housekeeping off your hands.

YR: Excuse me? What was that nonsense again?

GH: I'm tough, but I've put up with things long enough. That nondescript apartment is so decrepit, things are collapsing day in day out, I could be trapped in a coffin unable to budge. If only your husband were still alive, he'd have moved me to somewhere ten times better.

YR: So, let's be clear. You sold your current place so you could fund a new house for someone?

GH: Who would I do that for? You know I couldn't possibly live with your aunt. She finds fault with everything. Even if we sold this house as well as mine, we couldn't satisfy her. Just set your maids to work getting a room ready. I'll take care of furnishing and decorating it.

YR: Who said you can come and live in my house? Your idea of caring for a daughter was to feed her on beef-bone soup. You should be content that I keep your belly full.

GH: No matter how I fed someone else's child, that's nothing compared to what you did, is it? Saving Ji Ho got you made President of Boo Seong Instruments, and you became the most famous stepmother in Korean history, didn't you? But nothing in the world stays a secret for ever. I wonder what would happen if Ji Ho knew the truth? Would you like to find out?

YR: What's all this in aid of? What do you stand to gain from this, Mother?

GH: I'm like a vending machine. You have to feed me with cash to get what you want from me. Don't ever forget that. Thanks for breakfast.

=====

And yes, YR does call her "Mother" in that last line of hers. For the first time, unless I'm much mistaken. But it's certainly not a sign of affection.

Another, broader topic now...

One thing that seems to have escaped attention is that the 14 year interval for the time leap has been chosen because of the 15 year span of the Korean statute of limitations.
    Spoiler:
    There's now only one more year left before the case of MS's death can be re-opened to clear Da Mi's father's name (and incriminate YR in the process). That's why Da Mi's mother is getting so desperate to get evidence from Granny and abandons her softly-softly approach, with disastrous consequences for Da Mi's academic plans (consequences her mother doesn't know about till she finds Da Mi's bank book in ep 6), and also why JH is equally desperate to keep her from succeeding until it's too late. It's also why, in ep 6, Da Mi's brother, inspired by the piece of evidence he's been fed anonymously, abandons his place at Korea's top medical school to go underground in a gangland-linked company company he's identified through Internet researches as the Boo Seong group's main rival for the purchase of some important real estate, and which is owned by none other than the mysterious JW.

Re-opening the investigation of MS's death would of course also bring up another mystery that's been flagged up but then left aside for now. Who cut the phone wires to the house on the night of the fire, and why? None of the characters whose involvement we currently know about would have any motive for cutting those wires, but that played a crucial part in convincing the police of Da Mi's father's guilt, since only an outsider bent on misdeeds, such as a burglar, would have cut the phone wires. But we know Da Mi's father didn't cut them, so who did, and why? Was there actually a planned arson attack, independent of Granny's playing with matches? And since JW apparently has no trouble getting into YR's bedroom at mansion #2 bearing a cake with a fire-hazardous candle, was he or a minion lurking in the old mansion back them with similar inflammatory intent?

One final point. As I've sometimes pointed out in other threads, the plot summaries in starnnews reports are often inaccurate, mainly because they focus on the star players and netizens' reactions to their scenes rather than the more subtle aspects of their roles in the plot, so be wary of placing too much reliance on them.

The one quoted above is a good example

http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/comment/25191595/#Comment_25191595

"Yoo Ji-ho faced a crisis because of Hong Da-mi who played his music without permission and released it on the Internet, making things awkward with his teacher and professor Ha. However, he pleaded to be on stage at the recital.

Professor Ha misunderstands this to be Yoo Ji-ho's arrogance and greed for stardom from the media and that he wanted to go on stage without reflecting upon himself."

This is mistaken in multiple ways.
    Spoiler:
    The reason why Professor Ha is so offended and disappointed is that Da Mi tells him she "found the music in the street", which is basically true (she could hardly be expected on her first encounter with the Professor at the restaurant to expand on the details of the bicycle crash and mixup, though of coruse she does so in the following episode, in changed circumstances). The Professor was appalled to discover that his protegé had apparently taken such scant care of the sole copy of a work they've been collaborating on and which he had enjoined him to keep sercret, and so he  temporarily revises his opinion of his fitness to be his successor. (That changes though when he discovers JH's true motives for wanting to play at the recital at all costs, just as his view of Da Mi is transformed when she plays the piece for him once again.)

And Da Mi certainly didn't "release it on the Internet" . That was a customer with a cellphone at the restaurant. The last thing Da Mi wanted was to become an Internet celebrity, given that she was so guiltily aware that she was given the job under false pretences (not of her doing, of course) that she was a Berkeley music graduate.

CherKellkngdramashedevil77blueagave

LEGEND

edited September 2012
    Welp, I got that all screwed up -- it was the "SBS One Night Of TV Entertainment Show," not the other one that runs at midnight (Star King?), and this aired at 8:50 PM KST (4:50 AM here in Cali).  Regardless, Changwook-ssi was on and I will put up a link to his cut from the show on my Tumblr shortly.

My Precious got in a ton of plugs for 5F, so that's good to see he's out pounding the pavement for the show!  Apparently his "wish" was that he could have been a better student while in school.  He readily admits his grades sucked on toast, but the part that had me squeeeeing were the pictures he provided from his first college drama production roles.  I admit I have a whopping huge collection of photos, but there were a couple that even us DayRockers had never seen!  It. Was. Awesome. :x

Anyway, back to your regularly-scheduled Five Fingers programming now. :))

P.S.  Remember, HIS NAME IS JI CHANG WOOK!! LOL!!!

cherkell twitter * Scotch and Asparagus: Drama Recaps * Ji Chang Wook Soompi Forum * Ji Chang Wook's Kitchen
    *DO NOT UPLOAD DAYROCK PHOTOS TO OTHER WEBSITES*   *DO NOT QUOTE PICTURES AND VIDEOS*
    Cara

LEGEND

edited September 2012
    baduy said:
    A brief return for a few random observations

I noticed that, at present at any rate, the Viki subs for the scene in ep 5 between YR and her stepmother Gye Hwa at the mansion breakfast table are some way off-target as well as incomplete. For anyone who wants to get a feel for the stab and crackle of this scene, here's my version of the dialogue. (it starts at about 00:42:00 in ep 5)
    Well reasoned analysis, my dear (and welcome back for a brief moment as well).  As much as I love my Viki Compadres, I always wait for more detailed subs to arrive with deeper meaning to grab for archival purposes, but use the Viki subs to get a jist of the conversation so I can at least get my recaps done.  I think as Korean becomes a more sought-after language to learn internationally, we're gonna get what we get until everyone gets more fluent.

Oh, and your take on the SOL didn't fly past my brain either (I'm a paralegal by trade).  When I saw how long the time jump was, I kept thinking "they're doing that for a reason, because 14 years is a strange number to use."  And then by the beginning of Episode 5, the light bulb went off over my head.  Research on Korean Common Law confirmed that fact, so it should be interesting how that little tidbit is played out at the end...

Now here's the Question of the Moment:  Can anyone point me to a capture of the Opening Segment for the Show?  Back in the day, Holden's website used to carry links to all the drama opening segments that usually get cut out of the shared torrents, but he's long gone now (and sadly missed).  I've tried to grab it myself, with disasterous results.  Any information that can be provided will receive my undying thanks and gratitude.  ^:)^
    hapha8714 said:
    are they going to release an OST for this? please respond. pleaseeeeeee....

anyone?
    The short answer to this is yes.  An OST is in the works, with artists TBD.  There was a lot of interest when the show was first announced from various entertainment companies, but then the whole T-ara 'scandal' broke and they all suddenly backed off.  Granted, we haven't seen much of a love-line established yet to be offered a broody melo ballad tune, but just wait.  I know one has to be part of the mix real soon. :)

IDOL

edited September 2012
    @cherKell - while awaiting the live stream of Bridal Mask, I watched the the SBS show with youi man. It was nice and for a change I saw Chang Wook in casual clothes, looking relaxed and laughing quite a lot! 

Has this been posted yet?  Ep 7 preview?

LEGEND

edited September 2012
    Tarits said:
    @cherKell - while awaiting the live stream of Bridal Mask, I watched the the SBS show with youi man. It was nice and for a change I saw Chang Wook in casual clothes, looking relaxed and laughing quite a lot! 

Yes, he is getting better when it comes to interviews and reacting to the public.  I'll go back and watch some of his first-ever interviews, and I just cringe along with him over how uncomfortable and nervous he used to be. And letting SBS film him singing at a noraebang in front of people?  I'm soooo proud of my little Warrior Bachelor Chef Piano Boy!!! :x

But I hope hope hope that somewhere as the Show progresses, we get a flashback to how In-ha spent his days and nights during the 14-year time jump.  I can totally picture him singing and playing piano in some dive bar down by the Han River, and then drinking away his tips at a pojangmacha down the street.  Or maybe even a scene of In-ha singing an operatic aria while taking a shower.  Heck, I'm not picky. :P

• squeakysqueaky always keep the faith* Posts: 3,347Member

IDOL

^
    irrelevant but i think in paju, it was seo woo instead of moon geun young that was in paju xD

can't wait for this weekend!
  • weetziebatweetziebat Posts: 567Member
    edited September 2012
    Blueagave and Babigirlz -  if Dami's character is going to be a stereotypical "Candy" heroine throughout, then I agree it won't make much of a difference whether Jin Se Yeon or Eunjung plays the role. But if Dami's character is going to deviate towards the dark side, then (in my humble opinion) I think Eunjung could pull it off more convincingly. See how her eyes emit b*tchy charisma... sigh...

Spoiler:

A complete 180 degree turn from her normal expression~~

And I don't know if anyone here has watched Equator Man, but the heroine for EM was also a frustrating goody two shoes, and so by default the most boring character. I was kind of hoping that Dami would be like Eugene's character in Kim of Baking, Kim Takgu who eventually crossed over to the dark side. But it looks like Dami will continue to be a pure and innocent character.

And there's both good news and bad news. The good news is that Ji Chang Wook is getting rave reviews for his acting. The not-so good news is that Joo Ji Hoon's acting is getting a more divided response. And I'm sorry for being so fickle Hunnies T_T but I'm quickly succumbing to Ji Chang Wook's many charms. I've been re-watching JCW's scenes in T-ara's MVs and SA-WOONING over how hot and *ahem* masculine he is. Seriously, I never knew scars could be so sexy. And even his tacky gold chain necklace only complements the tanned skin of his neck and collarbones so artfully revealed by a few unbuttoned buttons. All I can say is: Evil Chang Wook >>> Nice Chang Wook. Though now I'm not so sure after seeing the pre-debut JCW Cherkell posted. Augghh... his baby face is so flippin' CUTE!!
    baduy said: We can now see the outline of Attorney Choi's scheme. Let Ji Ho take over as President, but then engineer a "crisis" that puts him in a bad light and makes him lose the favor of the Board. In the meantime, his stockholding is to be whittled away. That's what was starting to happen in ep 5 when YR asked JH to sell a considerable number of his stocks on the open market, allegedly to solve a cash-flow problem which the company's rapid expansion had brought about. But the idea is that these stocks will be bought up by a phantom company set up by Attorney Choi and so will fall into his hands.
    I have to confess that I'll be disappointed if 5F uses the exact same company takeover strategy that only about every single kdrama employs, lol. And thanks for explaining the reference to "垂簾聽政"~~

EDIT: And I was wondering who Chae Si Ra reminded me of when it suddenly struck me, Joan Allen!! (the Notebook, the Bourne trilogy). Or maybe it's just me, lol.

Spoiler:
    Commence pic spam ^^

And Park Gun Tae, a rising child actor, looks like he could be her son~~

And Chae Si Ra when she was young. She was so adorable >_<!!

More random pics here: http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=scanguts&logNo=80154846083
    5581159201_547b42e5be.jpgL.png
    My favorite group will always be DB5K, but my current bias is Infinite.
    Dramas: 1 KBS sitcom, 1 jTBC drama, 1 KBS drama || Variety Shows/Other: 1 Mnet show, 1 tvN show, 1 KBS show, 1 MBC show, 1 SBS show
  • ellenb5354ellenb5354 Posts: 9Member

@ baduy, your take on the translations is worth waiting.  it helps us not get lost in translation of essential pieces and nuances of the conversation going on between characters.  i'm only on episode 5 and waiting for epi 6. 

as for the acting of ju ji hoon, it's too early to tell, there will be a lot of developments in the protagonists characters.  but as they, attacking a  darker characters is really more interesting  than playing a goody goody role. it is always a joy to watch the presence of ju ji hoon whether it be on the big or smaller screen. welcome back ju ji hoon!

• f927f927 Posts: 1,778Member

IDOL

edited September 2012
    @baduy, thanks for taking the time to translate some bits and pieces. Appreciate it while waiting for the eng sub.

I've finished watching episode 5 with eng sub ~ yay! Interesting...the plot thickens. The mom is still subtle in this episode but already seeing a glimpse of her fangs. Now waiting for episode 6 eng sub.

@weetziebat, Good or bad news, I'll take it all in, and would appreciate if you could link that news/ or reviews of JCW and JJH acting in this thread.

Weeeeh! my ship :x
    AD22D639-B094-4B42-8D16-75ED8278B021-10808-000009D89888C97B.jpg
    Credit Amy

Ji-ho ~
    644D5E51-3B55-4C1D-9050-CD57CD1DF140-10808-000009D89B1A7C7B.jpg
    6C984955-F7DF-4767-BE0C-1F9B0DCA140E-10808-000009D89D062C0E.jpg
    8AC3D569-78BE-4D9B-AE82-94FFECCA1C98-10808-000009D89C82F7FD.jpg
    0E501314-5EDD-4F1F-B244-D7B0C688C2FE-10808-000009D8A0163263.jpg

• baduybaduy UKPosts: 2,547Member

SUPERSTAR

edited September 2012
    @squeaky, you're right, of course it was Seo Woo.  Heck, I ought to know since among the casualties of Viki going all legal was their Paju channel, where  I subbed the whole movie more or less single-handed over a hectic couple of days, along with a set of comments for the puzzled. All zapped and gone for good because they had no license.

I'll go back and input the correction. Thanks.