Rig Pics

boka

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's awesome that AMD is ripping Nvidia apart with the 4870's. The price/performance ratio is like off the chart and its not like it's much worse than a 280. I guess I'm still relatively loyal to Nvidia; mostly because I've always been using their cards but also because I have a lot of expectations for CUDA and PhysX for non gaming needs. I just hope this makes Nvidia wake the hell up and come out with something more substantial. I don't think Nvidia is going to necessarily try to match AMD's price/perf ratio but they will definitely need to bump up their performance ceiling in order to justify their price tags.

This is more the reason that 8800 owners should have waited. I think the 2xx are going to suffer the same fate as the 9800's; a terribly short life span.

Well there is a PhysX SDK and it seems like somebody was able to get it to run on a 3870, so it won't be long till we see it for the 4800. CNet has some report saying 4870x2 has about 80% performance increase than a 4870, that would either put it at close as the 280 or over, for a lower price too. This war is getting interesting, now if only AMD would make processors that could actually go against Intel.

So split between the 4870 Xfire or a 4870x2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lordbordem

I really want to see that, I like the idea of messing with in game physics more than shooting up NPCs *imagines a PhysX accelerated Gmod*

since the Source engine runs the HAVOK phys engine, isn't the engine already hardware accelerated for ATI/AMD owners? or am i thinking ahead, im sure i read somewhere that the last 2 Gens of ATI cards had havok support.

EDIT : Guess not looks like Intel is being tight and not releasing it >.<

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/di...ions_Chief.html

it wouldn't really matter for me since i am still running an old Nvidia 7700 T.T, i would post pics but its just a standard Asus G1 while my server computer is running a ancient Athlon Xp 1900+ and a Ati9700 Pro in a ugly beige box -.-

since the Source engine runs the HAVOK phys engine, isn't the engine already hardware accelerated for ATI/AMD owners? or am i thinking ahead, im sure i read somewhere that the last 2 Gens of ATI cards had havok support.

EDIT : Guess not looks like Intel is being tight and not releasing it >.<

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/di...ions_Chief.html

it wouldn't really matter for me since i am still running an old Nvidia 7700 T.T, i would post pics but its just a standard Asus G1 while my server computer is running a ancient Athlon Xp 1900+ and a Ati9700 Pro in a ugly beige box -.-

Yeah, the source engine uses Havok... and ATI recently had an agreement with Intel who owns havok to make a ATI accelerated physics. And Nvidia bought PhysX so they will support Physx all the way...

Hackers figured out how to run the PhysX drivers on ATI cards and has Nvidia's support so... maybe Physx will take off... and ATI will be a real flexible option. Actually =\ I want GPU accelerated video encoding.

Actually =\ I want GPU accelerated video encoding.

This will be the best thing that has happened to computing since the invention of the scroll mouse. I am eagerly awaiting for it as well. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived