Rig Pics

boka

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Thats awesome to hear. I just hope it performs noticeably better too. Just ordered a pair.

Get yours yet? You doing a raid-0 config?

Im gonna be Raid0 mine this weekend :wacko:

Then Geforce 280 (GT200) in 15 days... AHHH SO MUCH MONEY!!! :crazy::crazy::crazy: THEN NEHALEM CPU/MOBO UPGRADE :o:o:o

(Anyone wanna buy a slightly used EVGA Geforce 9800GX2 (with 6-8pin adapter) LOL PM ME!! or a Seagate 750GB 3.0SATA 32MB 7200.11 HD

Guest Tepper

Then Geforce 280 (GT200) in 15 days... AHHH SO MUCH MONEY!!! :crazy::crazy::crazy: THEN NEHALEM CPU/MOBO UPGRADE :o:o:o

(Anyone wanna buy a slightly used EVGA Geforce 9800GX2 (with 6-8pin adapter) LOL PM ME!! or a Seagate 750GB 3.0SATA 32MB 7200.11 HD

Har har, I might be interested. if the price is rightttt, that is. >:3

Even if the 280 was half as good as Nvidia makes it out to be, it still makes the whole 9 series completely pointless. Can't believe how short lived it was and I'm so glad I didn't buy it. The 9 series would be like the Windows ME of video cards (only worse).

Even if the 280 was half as good as Nvidia makes it out to be, it still makes the whole 9 series completely pointless. Can't believe how short lived it was and I'm so glad I didn't buy it. The 9 series would be like the Windows ME of video cards (only worse).

Rumormill is claiming a good performance increase over the 9800gx2.. (pics of it already out with more detail info from Computex)

Come on now the 9800gx2 was a good card... :tears::tears: It was Made for Intel chipset owners who wanted SLI.. :)

Guest epark1281

so i just swapped parts to two busted computers and used a reserve power supply

650 W antec Power supply

3.2Ghz P4

2 gig's of ram (haven't bothered to check the speed)

Antec case (don't know which kind)

crappy Gigabyte Radeon 9200 SE 128 MB video card

I know these are not the most impressive specs (i'm still using an IDE interface and an AGP video card)

But hey, going from a first generation XPS laptop, this is a bit of an upgrade for me

Dot1q You get your Vraptors up and running yet? RAID0 What block size?

Raid 0 16kb. For a general OS/Programs partition, I don't find varying the block sizes to be much of a difference in terms of performance (unless you got to the extremes.. very high or very low and even then its negligible in my opinion for desktop usage). I only consider raid stripe sizes for data partitions (database, media files, etc) when used in a server environment where IO performance becomes more critical and disk bound.

Too bad this does nothing for me as far as noise is concerned. The other 8 hard drives and countless fans make enough noise where 2 loud raptors wouldn't make any difference. However, if I ever built a media center pc, this would be great~!

[edit]

Googled around and couldn't find a definitive answer. Are the gtx 2xx (along with software I suppose) definitely going to support GPU hardware transcoding? Nvidia software or any video transcoding software?? Really curious about this as this alone is worth the investment (BY FAR~!).

[edit]

Found some answers to above. Seems a particular company is making a CUDA based transcoder but it seems premature in terms of codecs it will support and function. Hopefully more software developers catch on to this. GPU will rip apart a CPU for transcoding without even flinching.

[edit]

Once again, disappointing. :( Only thing I regret is not waiting a little longer to get my second 8800gtx (bought it about 1-2 months ago). I hear its dropping down to 2-250 now. Yeah the 280 is pretty good for a single gpu card but still nothing to wow over a 8800gtx/SLI, 9800gtx/SLI, or a 9800GX2. I think all the mentioned combos are relatively comparable. Sad part is we're probably going to have to live through another phase of x2, smaller die, faster memory, 2nd version, 3rd version, etc crap before we can gain hopes for something more revolutionary again. Everything since the original 8800gtx has just been blah~ Really hope ATI comes up with a miracle and rips Nvidia a second butt hole with the 4870x2. The market seriously needs some competition.

[edit]

Guess this topic is dead again...x.x. Anyway, Newegg now charges tax for NY. This sucks big time. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ProjectWind

It's an Intel e8400 C2D. As for the mobo, it's working out fine right now. I was originally going to get an Asus 780i, but the stupid store didn't have them in stock -.- but anyways this mobo has everything I need, so I can't really complain. Oh, btw, this is my first built ever (and it works)! yayy!

I got me me a new GPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130366

I knew it wasnt gonna be anything major, I probably will never notice the diff if at all.. Seriously I tried to stop myself.. But i rather buy it then sit everyday going hmm should i or should i not.. (price drop coming too!!!)

Only advantages i see. GTX 280 from 9800gx2

1. the minmal fps doesnt dip as far down.

2. no more microstuttering.

3. 2560x1600 it starts to outshine the 9800gx2 *certain games

4. its a new toy.. will keep me entertained until i go on my vacation to korea..

5. umm yea.... i get cash back fromy spending 750 on a videocard? :unsure::unsure:

Pics to come if anyone cares...

Now on to nehalem... :)

Guest cluu1

aww man you peoples' computers are crazy...

i get new computer in like august i gues

things i have

cooler master eclipse hsf

ocz platinum xtc 2x2 gb ddr2-800mhz

evga 8600gt

2x stealth fans. i dun remember which

a lg dvd-rw sata

a card reader don't remember which

subtotal:250 dollars ish?

things i gonna get

asus p5k

antec 900

ocz stealthxstream 600w

intel e8400

seagate barracuda 7200.11 500gb

subtotal :530 ish

needs to be around 570

i think

like... $800 total? i dunnoo

next year ima upgrade i have like 500 dollars to upgrade

so..yeah... i dunno

suggestions?

anything i can change? thx

^ haha, your case wiring is worse than me.

Wasn't the 9800gx2 eligible for step up? I assume not. Its funny though, I KNOW its not worth it but I keep doing exactly what you're stating regarding thinking about it all the time. I think I'm going to wait for the next release of these things (smaller die, faster memory, etc). I don't see it being too far off since ATI is going to be releasing their price/performance cards very soon.

On another note, never going to go SLI again until they fix multi-monitor support.

Guest cluu1

Out with the old in with the new!! GTX 280 FTW

img1241wl1.jpg

img1241wl1.176bacf1b7.jpg

img1245ja1.jpg

...-_-

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE GET SO MUCH MONEY!??!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

how's the gtx 280?

Archived