Bae Doo Na 배두나

melusine

December 28, 2012
Tom Hanks, highly praising Bae Du-Na "great actor, soul of the movie"  Innolife Korea
4351_1.jpg
The director and actors of 'Cloud Atlas' all highly praised about charms and acting of Bae Du-Na. 
On the special video that was released on the 28th, director Lana Wachowskis, Halle Berry, Jim Sturgess and Tom Hanks all showed up, metioning Bae Du-Na. Director Lana Wachowskis excitedly said, "I fell for Bae Du-Na's charm the whole time we were shooting the movie." 
Halle Berry said, "Even when Bae Du-Na had no lines, it felt like she was at the center of the movie due to her presence." 
Jim Sturgess, who acted with Bae Du-Na in the movie, highly praised Bae Du-Na by saying, "Her honest and genuine soul come from her face and eyes." Tom Hanks also praised her by mentioning, "Bae Du-Na is the soul of this movie. She replaces the main idea of the movie, that cannot be detected for onself, into words. She is trully a great actor that changes entirely right infront of you." 
'Cloud Atlas' is composed of six stories that deals with about 500 years from the 19th century to the near future. It is a movie in which famous hollywood actors, such as Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant, Halle Berry, Jim Sturgess and Ben Wishow, appear, but also the Hollywood entry movie of a Korean actor Bae Du-Na. 
In the movie, Bae Du-Na took the role of a clone Son-Mi451, with Seoul in the year of 2144 as the background. 
'Cloud Atlas' cinematized David Mitchell's best seller that sweeped various literary awards as soon as it was published in 2004. Director Andy-Lana Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer co-produced the movie, and it will be released in Korea on January 9th, 2013. [picture=NEW] 

Bae Doo Na Talks About Her Breakup..."Last Year, I Broke Up With A Boyfriend I Dated For Three Years"

By KDramaStars Staff Writer | Jan 03, 2013 08:52 AM EST

i130103-50a.jpg

Bae Doo Na recently revealed on air that she went through a breakup with her boyfriend and gained interest. 

Bae Doo Na appeared on the tvN program "Baek Ji Yeon's People Inside" on the 2nd and talked about her breakup.

Baek Ji Yeon asked Bae Doo Na, "Tell me about your experience with love," and Bae Doo Na responded, "I broke up with my boyfriend I dated for three years, at the end of October last year." Baek Ji Yeon carefully asked, "Was your boyfriend a celebrity or a non-celebrity?" Bae Doo Na replied, "He's a non-celebrity. Am I not supposed to say things like this?"

Netizens commented, "I guess she dated a non-celebrity too," "She's honest," "It hasn't been long since they broke up," "Hang in there! You'll be able to meet a nice person."

i130103-1000a.jpg

201301022213543310_1.jpg

201301022215423310_1.jpg

201301022216313310_1.jpg

201301022345333310_1.jpg

[interview] Bae Doo Na is Proud She Made It Into Hollywood Herself

2013-01-06 15:00  l   CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo
Translation Credit: Erika Kim
Original article: enews24

This actress not only acted, but sent her own emails with a dictionary beside her and even wrote and signed her own contract without the help of any agent. There are probably no other actors who made it into Hollywood this way.

This is the story of Bae Doo Na, the lead of the Wachowski Siblings′ Hollywood blockbuster Cloud Atlas. Her big Hollywood mission put her on a rough road, and she had her share of hard times. She said that such difficulties actually made her more proud and happy about herself.

Enews met with Bae Doo Na to talk about how she made it to Hollywood and about her life.

F130103_001.jpg

Bae Doo Na up close

She was like a high school student excited about her field trip. Her round eyes shone brightly, and her heart seemed to be full of anticipation. The way she kept saying, "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, what′s happening to me," showed exactly how she felt.

The way her eyes filled with tears when asked about what made her proud while working with the film explained the passion and affection she felt for her piece.

"I′ve never thought of the film as a means that will help me step into the overseas market, or as a stepping stone for my future career," she said modestly.

"I gave my all for my first, and probably my last, time," she said, giving off a radiance she gained from her achievements and her efforts.

F130103_002.jpg

How did it feel to finally watch the film yourself? Some said it was difficult to understand.

"It will depend on the person, but it was easy to understand for me. I believe it will be easier if you start following the chain of ties and the categories of each character."

Your role was pretty heavy. You especially got a chance to act in four characters for one piece, a chance usually given only to leads.

"Yes, that is true. Every character was meaningful, and filled me with emotion. I was especially proud and happy that no one recognized me as a Mexican woman. I appeared in the scene with a fat suit on me pulled so tight I felt my body would cramp. I went through many difficulties, including how I memorized a page of dialogue in Spanish in order to execute it perfectly in an all-day shoot. I was happy that my small wish to see people surprised came true (Laugh)."

Most of your lines were in English. It must have been a burden.

"My clone Son Mi character needs to convey a message, so I tried to care a lot for the accent. It wasn′t that hard when I was acting, though. I became immersed in the role. I was more stressed about having to speak with the director and actors outside of the shoots."

It seems you had a hard time because of the differences in language and culture.

"A lot of my acquaintances voiced concern, asking me whether it was okay or whether I was lonely. I comforted them in return. I told them, ′I got to learn English while shooting for a great piece; I can′t say I suffered.′ Honestly, I felt more happy and glad than pained."

I heard you took care of everything from casting to contracting and filming alone without a manager.

"I didn′t have a manager at the time, so I couldn′t help it. I asked my friends about the script that director Wachowski sent me, and I communicated with [the producers] through email with my broken English. I took care of my contract by myself also, but it didn′t pose to be a problem because I cared more about working with such great figures than the financial issues. I acted in four characters, but I didn′t get paid more for it (Laugh)."

You traveled to London after wrapping up your shoots. Why did you go after and not before you started shooting for the film?

"Perhaps because of the extreme tension, I felt so empty after I finished. I was scared of having to go to Seoul and going back to my ordinary life. At that moment the teacher who taught me British English told me that I could go if I want to learn more English. I was annoyed that I couldn′t say how thankful I was toward my great colleagues and friends. I wanted to conquer English, and I wanted to learn."

F130103_003.jpg

Controversy surrounded the image of Seoul depicted in the film: A tatami room with cherry blossoms. There were many scenes that Korean fans couldn′t seem to accept.

"I understand that the scenes could be misunderstood by Korean fans. The film is set in the Seoul of the future, but it doesn′t take place specifically in Korea. It′s a place that brings all of Asia together. The directors said they wanted to contain Korea, China and Japan in one setting. You can call it a new race and transcendental country 130 years in the future."

The Wachowskis are known as some of the most well-known pro-Korean directors. They visited Korea for the first time in December; what did they say when it came time for them to go back?

"They loved Insadong and Samcheong-dong. They especially said they loved Korean people. They were surprised at how so many people recognized them. I believe they were impressed at how Koreans send them such pure affection and support."

When were you the happiest while shooting the film?

"After the last shoot I first felt proud at the thought of how I overcame this journey. I became even prouder after I saw the film. The moments when I tried to translate all my lines by myself and received my screen test in Chicago raced before my eyes."

"Reports said I had become a popular actress around the world through the Hollywood appearance, but I always believed that I was overestimated. I believe I was just lucky and that I was just chosen by good directors. After this film was released, however, I was so proud of myself at how I had overcome everything myself."

Will we be able to see more of Bae Doo Na in Hollywood?

"You probably know, but I′ve never really wanted to travel overseas. I′ve never thought of this film as a stepping stone for a new phase of my career. I just thought of how I would never get to film with such actors and directors again. Of course, I will take up an offer if it comes with a good script, but I′ve never planned to go overseas after this."

Lastly, how do you hope Korean audiences will take the film?

"Hugh Grant said that [anyone who watches the film is] in for a giant roller coaster ride. I think what he said is true. The film makes your head spin, but it fills your heart and gives audiences sights to see. It′s a great film with perfect music too. Audiences will get to ride a roller coaster with a good piece. You can enjoy it even without your seatbelt (Laugh)."

Photo credit: Hea Jung Min

January 7, 2013
[ARTIST IN FOCUS] Bae Doo-na takes her career to the clouds
By Park Eun-jee Korea JoongAng Daily
07220635.jpgActress Bae Doona has made her English-language debut in the Hollywood epic “Cloud Atlas“, winning acclaim for her role as the ethereal Sonmi-451.Provided by NEW
The life of Bae Doona reads like a fairy tale. In 1998 at the age of 20, the now 34-year-old actress was scouted on the street to be a model. She was then spotted dozing off in an audition waiting room by director Bong Joon-ho and landed a lead role in Bong’s debut feature “Barking Dogs Never Bite” (2000), which won her the Best New Actress Award at the Blue Dragon Film Awards. 
She went on to appear in productions by high-profile directors such as Park Chan-wook’s “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance” (2002), Bong Joon-ho’s “The Host” (2006), and “Air Doll” (2009) by Japanese filmmaker Hirokazu Koreeda.
07220915.jpgBy Park Sang-moon
Then last year, more than 10 years into her film career, Hollywood came knocking. The offer was from the filmmaking team known as the Wachowskis, the masterminds behind the “Matrix” trilogy. Having seen Bae’s work, Andy and Lana Wachowski approached her for the role of clone Sonmi-451 in their upcoming sci-fi epic “Cloud Atlas” based on the best-selling novel by David Mitchell.
Lana Wachowski has touted Bae’s performance as riveting and co-star Tom Hanks has said that the Korean actress is “the soul” of the film. 
With the movie hitting Korean theaters tomorrow, the actress is still reeling from the whirlwind of the past few months. She says she still wonders how she landed a role in the star-studded fantasy that features such established faces as Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving and Hugh Grant. 
“I heard that the casting director asked the Wachowskis, ‘What’s the big idea behind this decision?’?” Bae said. 
“I can’t figure out what brought them to cast me either. I’m pretty unknown to people abroad and not a native English speaker.” 
On the surface, she might come across as a Cinderella-type starlet, but her acting career is marked by unconventional roles. Take her character Hyun-nam in “Barking Dogs Never Bite,” where she helps a middle-aged woman find her little dog that everyone else hated; or Tae-hee in “Take Care of My Cat,” who struggles to escape the psychological traps of middle class life in Korea. Or Young-mi in “Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance,” the impressionable activist youth singing Communist songs and spewing hate on the cultural imperialism of America.
The Korea Joongang Daily sat down with Bae in central Seoul to discuss what the big-budget Hollywood movie means to her and how she believes it will affect her future career.
07220733.jpg
Q. How many times have you seen “Cloud Atlas” and how did you feel about it?
A. I’ve seen it three times. The first time was in Chicago at a special screening for the entire cast and then at the Toronto International Film Festival, which was the world premiere of the movie. The third time was at the premier in Los Angeles. It was quite amazing. When I played Sonmi, I was preoccupied with the role and had so much to take care of being on my own abroad. So it didn’t sink in that I was co-starring with famous actors in this big project. But when I watched myself appear with those actors, it was just amazing. 
You said that you were confident about performing the Sonmi role when you read the script. What made you feel that way?
When I first got the script, I could immediately relate to her, actually. I couldn’t hold back my tears when Sonmi cries. So I just think like Somni, feel like Somni. I don’t always feel like this. I don’t like expressing a character through a verbal explanation, I prefer to just show how I feel through the character. The audience may feel closer to the character with their hearts when I act. I thought Sonmi is the kind of role where I can express how I relate to her.
What did you focus on while playing Somni?
Sonmi transforms herself from a fragile, innocent clone into a strong revolutionary. So, it was important to bear both fragility and strength at the same time. The movie also highlights a romantic relationship with Hae-joo (Jim Sturgess). I tried to play Sonmi as falling in love with the rebellion and establishing herself as a revolutionary operative. 
Do you have anything in common with Sonmi?
The point that she loves a kind man? (Laughs.) I like a warm-hearted person because I’m a little cold.
Have you significantly changed at all after “Cloud Atlas?”
I feel a sense of pride and satisfaction about having completed the film because I was totally on my own and did everything by myself without a manager. I thought I had developed my career in a sheltered and favorable environment because I was lucky with one role leading to another. So, everything felt naturally achieved rather than going out and getting it myself. A series of choices I made led me to the next step. I recorded an audition tape with my brother’s help and sent e-mails to producers. 
And it was really great to meet a lot of nice, warm people. All the cast, staff and directors were really gentle and nice. It’s kind of the first time in my 15-year career that everyone involved in a movie have been such a great people. 
Which scenes did you record?
There were two scenes. They were the scenes with the Archivist in the interrogation room, explaining the day-to-day tasks of clones and the other one after I see the slaughterhouse where the clones are dead. There was actually no difference when doing the real shooting for the scenes. 
How did you feel when you heard such acclaimed directors strongly recommended you for the role?
I still can’t figure out what it is about me that made them so sure. ... Andy told people, “She’s from another planet.” I don’t know what that means exactly, but I take it as a compliment. (Laughs.)
You played multiple roles in the movie and had to undergo intense makeup sessions to play characters of different ethnicities. What it was like to play characters going beyond one race?
You can take on different roles in a movie but playing different races is something unique. I tried to enjoy every second. When playing the Mexican woman, the fat suit was really tight but it couldn’t have been more exciting. What I hate most as an actress is playing the same role over and over. Director Tom Tykwer asked me if I could take on the Mexican woman, considering my calm and shy look. I said I could do it and tried my best to master a Spanish accent by practicing with video clips of anguished Spanish women that I got from the director.
Were there any of your Hollywood co-stars who were different in person than you expected?
That’s Halle Berry. She was so gentle and mild. I thought she will be more strict and charismatic like her character Louisa Rey. She’s the nicest actress I’ve ever met.
There’s a widespread view that “Cloud Atlas” fails to live up to expectations. How do you feel about that?
But there are some reviews that highly praise the movie. Likes and dislikes about the film are very pronounced and I prefer a movie that divides opinion over a “stable” one. That’s more meaningful. 
About 10 years ago, you said the upcoming 10 years would be very busy as you built your career. How do you expect the next 10 years to be?
I can’t say I’ll appear in a number of movies going forward. I’m sure I’ll star in a movie that I can feel proud of but these days, I sometimes fear that life as an actress overshadows ordinary life as Bae Doona the woman. My goal is to keep the balance. 

January 4, 2013
Art and Culture2
Source: ARIRANG News  It's nice to see that the Korean Wave is getting off to a good start this year. This is actually the first time I've heard the new Girls' Generation song, and honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about it. How about you[Reporter : ] You know, I like the more angelic image they projected on their previous albums. I enjoyed the repetitive choruses and flashy dance moves. This new song is a dramatic change from that and people are looking at it with a lot of skepticism. There have been media reports saying that overseas fans don't like the new song, but you know I think it is still a bit too early to decide whether the album will be a success or not.
I'd agree with that. Now, all three of these groups are a huge part of the Korean Wave. Do they have any plans to tour overseas this year[Reporter : ] They actually do. Big Bang is going back on the road next year, and both Girls' Generation and TVXQ have plans to launch world tours for fans overseas.Along with these three musicians, Psy will also be releasing his first studio album in March in the U.S., which will hopefully be even bigger than 'Gangnam Style', Also, the sultry siren from the "Gangnam Style" music video, Hyun-a, has been getting calls from the American pop music industry, so she could be the next K-pop star to make it big there.
That's great news. And K-pop isn't the only aspect of Korean culture that's catching on around the world, right[Reporter : ] That's right. Movies are a huge part of the Korean Wave and this year is no exception,.. with a flood of Korean movies, directors, and actors making appearances in the global cinema scene.Lee Byung-hun will be starring in the sequel to "G.I. Joe" and his role in this film will be even more important.Actress Bae Du-na's Hollywood debut "Cloud Atlas" has already attracted a lot of attention abroad and it will be released here in Korea this month on the 9th.Renowned directors from Korean film will also be making forays into Hollywood.Directors Park Chan-wook, Bong Joon-ho and Kim Ji-un all have English-language films set to premiere this year.
Wow. That's great news for Korea, and hopefully all of the films, music and dramas will help spark interest in other aspects of Korean culture as well.
[Reporter : ] I hope so, too. People are already starting to be more curious about Korean language and cuisine, which is always a good start. Hopefully this will only be the beginning of Korea's influence across the globe.
I certainly hope so. Well Michelle, thank you so much for the update today and we will see you on Monday.
[Reporter : ] You're welcome. Have a great weekend and see you Monday.

January 8, 2013
Bae Doo-na, on her own
Actress shares why her latest project ‘Cloud Atlas’ is special for her
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

20130107000560_0.jpg
Actress Bae Doo-na has been famously adored by some of the most celebrated filmmakers in Asia, such as Park Chan-wook, Bong Joon-ho, and Japan’s Hirokazu Koreeda.
“I always felt I was very lucky,” Bae said during an interview with The Korea Herald on Friday.
“Throughout my career, I often felt like it’s my luck (to star in the directors’ films) that brought me success, not my own ability as an actress. But with my latest movie, I feel like I achieved almost everything on my own (for the first time in my life).”
Her latest film, “Cloud Atlas” is Bae’s Hollywood debut. It is a $102 million sci-fi by Lana and Andy Wachowski and director Tim Tykwer, which features Bae as part of its star-studded ensemble.
Actress Bae Doo-na. (Chung Hee-cho/The Korea Herald)
The 33-year-old actress, who plays a slave-clone in dystopian Seoul in 2144, went through a lot on her own ― starting when she received the movie’s script in May 2011.
Bae made a demo-tape of her playing Son-mi at home and mailed it to the Wachowskis, flew to Chicago alone to attend the audition for the role, and became a frequent dictionary user. 
“I wrote all of the e-mails to the crew in the U.S. on my own,” she said. 
“I’d use the Korean-English dictionary to find the right words. My experience with this film made me feel content. I thought, maybe I am actually capable of achieving things. I got to work with some of the greatest people I’ve ever met.”
“Cloud Atlas” is an adaptation of English writer David Mitchell’s 2004 best-selling novel of the same title. It consists of six interrelated stories that take the audience from the remote South Pacific in the 19th century to dystopian Korea to a post-apocalyptic future.
Its cast, which includes Halle Berry, Tom Hanks, Susan Sarandon and Hugh Grant, plays multiple roles throughout, increasing the sense of deja vu and connectivity of the storylines. Actor Jim Sturgess, for example, went through heavy make-up sessions to play Chang Hae-joo, a Korean freedom fighter in 2144, on top of playing a 19th-century American attorney. Bae was no exception. She was asked to play a Mexican woman living in the U.S. in the ’70s, as well as a young Caucasian wife in 19th-century America.
“Director Tykwer was worried at first,” Bae said. 
“He wasn’t sure if I could pull off this hysterical, angry Mexican lady. He saw a lot of calmness and shyness in me, and this Mexican woman was everything the opposite. He gave me a number of video footage as an example of what he wanted, and I watched them for inspiration. And speaking in Spanish somehow changed the pitch of my voice; it became much higher. I’m especially happy when people tell me they didn’t know the Mexican lady was played by me and was surprised to find out about it later.”
It’s been 15 years since Bae broke into the country’s entertainment industry. The actress said she doesn’t want to star in too many films in the future, but rather find a balance between her work and life. 
“I’m more afraid than I was 10 years ago,” she said. “I’m afraid that acting will dominate my entire life. I am most alive when I’m shooting films. But when I’m not acting, I often find myself being bored at home. So I’m trying to find things that keep me occupied when I’m not being an actress, including taking pictures and doing flower arrangements, to find a balance.”
“Cloud Atlas” opens in local theaters on Thursday. 
via original article in Korean: Herald Corp

(Yonhap Interview) Actress Bae Doona proud of her roles in 'Cloud Atlas'

By Shim Sun-ah | Yonhap News
2013/01/07 11:46 KST

PYH2012122603140001300_P2.jpg

SEOUL, Jan. 7 (Yonhap) -- South Korean actress Bae Doona's filmography is full of names of celebrated directors -- Park Chan-wook, Bong Joon-ho, Nobuhiro Yamashita, Hirokazu Koreeda, the Wachowski siblings and Tom Tykwer.

Unlike other fashion model-turned actresses, she wasn't bothered by playing an insensitive apartment management worker in a yellow-hooded T-shirt with almost no make-up in the Korean film, "Barking Dogs Never Bite" (2000).

In the Japanese film "Air Doll" (2009) by director Koreeda, Bae starred as an inflatable life-size sex doll, a role which made her the first foreign actress to win the best actress in the Japanese Oscar Awards. She played a North Korean table tennis player in "As One," the homegrown sports movie released last year.

20121226124606683.jpg

The 33-year-old actress says she was simply lucky to get the chances to join in such good movies and believes her steady pursuit of acting rather than money or popularity led her to the opportunities.

"Strangely enough, I found myself feeling a kind of proudness when I finished this movie. I learned a lot," Bae said of the Hollywood blockbuster "Cloud Atlas" in an interview with Yonhap News Agency on Friday.

20121226124605845.jpg

Bae acted as Sonmi, a genetically engineered clone, in the film adaptation of David Mitchell's 2004 best-selling novel of the same name with a unique structure where multiple stories in different time periods are told chronologically from past to future and then back again.

The movie, already released in the U.S. and European theaters last year, was co-directed by the Wachowski siblings, best known for "The Matrix" series, and their close friend, German director Tom Tykwer.

Because it was her Hollywood debut film, she had to act in English and Spanish, both not her mother tongue of Korean. Despite her limitation in conversational English, she flew to Chicago for an audition and was chosen for the roles. Without a manager or an overseas management agent at that time, Bae had to do everything, ranging from exchanging e-mails with producers to writing terms of a contract, all in English.

PYH2012122603120001300_P2.jpg

Sonmi is one of many fabricants grown to work at, among other places, a fast-food restaurant called Papa Song's, and treated as slave labor by the "pure blood" society. Becoming self-aware thanks to individuals from a rebel underground, she later leads a revolution against those "pure blood" people for freedom.

The actress has spent a significant amount of time learning English from a British dialogue coach while preparing for the movie because the director asked her to speak in a British accent throughout the film.

"The directors told me that they wanted to describe the future through the characters' looks and language," she said. "They probably thought a clone should speak in a unique accent mixing Korean and British styles."

20121226124509631.jpg

She also surprised local movie reporters by playing an American woman who is the wife of a novice sailor and a fat Mexican woman in the same film. Being three different characters in a movie was a thrilling experience to her even though it was physically difficult to undergo four to five hours of heavy make-up and wearing a fat suit for the Mexican woman role, she says.

"I acted in the thought that it would be my first and last chance to do this. I tried to enjoy every second because it's rare to act multiple characters of different race, gender and living in different time periods in one movie."

20121226124607479.jpg

"As an actress, I hate repeating the same roles in different movies."

To play the role of the hysterical Mexican woman in Spanish, Bae says, she repeatedly watched scenes of other movies in which Spanish women go hysterical.

20121226124511395.jpg

After spending many years away from home, the actress says all she wants for the new year is to work from home. She has said in other media interviews that seeking another role in Hollywood is not an option.

"Even 'As One,' the latest Korean film I acted in, didn't have a single scene shot in Seoul, so I had to spend most of the time in provincial locations. I was in London until August where I directly flew from Berlin. I want to work on a film in which I can commute from my home in Seoul this year."

PYH2012122603150001300_P2.jpg

sshim@yna.co.kr (original article in Korean: Yonhap News)

January 10, 2013
Highly Anticipated 'Cloud Atlas' Hits Screens
The ChosunIlbo
"Cloud Atlas" is expected to shake up the domestic box office after it was released on Wednesday.
The movie consists of six interwoven stories set in different time periods and locations over a 500-year span starting from the 19th century.
Many critics have praised the storyline starring Korean actress Bae Doo-na in a futuristic Seoul as the highlight. "Cloud Atlas" was co-directed by Andy and Lana Wachowski, makers of "The Matrix" trilogy, and Tom Tykwer of "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer."
2013011000827_0.jpg
The film adds to the already heated competition among Hollywood big-budget movies such as "Les Misérables" and "Life of Pi."
The Korean blockbuster "The Tower," which revolves around firefighters battling to contain a blaze at a luxury office building on Christmas Eve, has maintained its top spot since it was released on Christmas Day. It looks set to draw a total of 4 million viewers by the end of this week.

• 3 weeks later...

February 2, 2013
Cloud Atlas' Star Can't Help Falling in Love with Filmmaking
The ChosunIlbo
2013020200331_0.jpg
"Cloud Atlas" star Bae Doo-na has received positive reviews from foreign media for her role in the Hollywood blockbuster alongside big names like Tom Hanks and Halle Berry. 
But she remains dejected at the film's polarizing effect on audiences and failure to make a strong impression at the box office, as she hopes to cement her star power on the silver screen.
"To be honest, I wish I could be more detached from the world of cinema and movies. I'd like to be able to leave it all behind when I feel like I've had enough. But as time goes by, I get increasingly drawn toward films, and I get afraid when I think about the possibility that one day I may have to quit being an actress. I worry that if my ties to filmmaking break down, I'll be heartbroken," she said. 
"Cloud Atlas," which consists of six interwoven stories spanning several centuries and various locations, was released in theaters on the back of high expectations, but was not a commercial hit. In the film, Bae plays one major character and several minor roles -- although in these she is often unrecognizable beneath layers of heavy make-up. The story is told in such a complex way that it is easy for the audience to lose their footing. 
"Around the world, audiences either love it or hate it. It wasn't successful in the U.S. or Korea, but it was a huge hit in Russia. The film hasn't been released in most European countries yet," said Bae.
Why does she think she was cast for a Hollywood film? "Most of the movies I did such as 'Take Care of My Cat,' 'Barking Dogs Never Bite' and 'Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance' were not commercial successes. But it seems that many famous directors outside of Korea saw them and found me interesting. I also starred in the Japanese film 'Air Doll' by director Hirokazu Koreeda." 
What does she do in her spare time? "I usually knit or read at home, or just generally laze around. I don't watch much TV. Because I lead such a simple and monotonous life at home, I really get a buzz out of working," she said.

Related news clip from Nate.com

February 4, 2013
More Korean TV stars act abroad
By Shim Sun-ah YonhapNews
SEOUL, Feb. 4 (Yonhap) -- Korean TV stars have become known internationally through hit Korean television series that have graced the small screen worldwide like "Winter Sonata" (2002), "Jewel in the Palace" (2003) and "Jumong" (2006). Now, with a larger audience, these Korean household names are boldly extending their reach by acting abroad -- primarily in Hollywood and China.
   Standing at the cusp of international stardom are Lee Byung-hun, Kim Yun-jin and Bae Doona.
Photo: Lee Byung-hun
Lee entered the Western market with the multinational co-production "I Come with the Rain" in 2008 and the Hollywood blockbuster "G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra" in 2009. This year, he is scheduled to star in two Hollywood blockbuster films: "G. I. Joe 2: Retaliation" and "Red 2," both starring Bruce Willis.
   Korean-American actress Kim Yun-jin, who rose to stardom in the U.S. with her appearance in the U.S. television series "Lost" (2004), is set to star in the upcoming ABC drama series "Mistresses." She will play the second lead in the series scheduled to air this spring.
   "When I was in 'Lost,' it took two weeks before all the members of the drama team to know my name as they experienced difficulty in precisely pronouncing the name 'Yun-jin,' but in 'Mistresses,' every staff member knew it," Kim said in a recent interview with Yonhap News Agency.
   Actress Bae Doona is also expected to field many offers from the U.S. market. She captivated the eyes of major Hollywood film studios with her Hollywood debut in "Cloud Atlas" (2012), according to industry sources. Though the 130-billion-won budget film, directed by the Wachowskis, was a commercial failure, she won critical acclaim as a serious, young actress.
   In China, the popularity of Korean pop culture has undeniably gained strength year after year.
   The "Korean Wave," known as "Hallyu," began there when the MBC TV soap opera "What is Love?" became a sensation in China after first being broadcast on the state-run CCTV channel in 1996.
   The rise of Hallyu is no longer news and Korean stars are now landing lead roles in Chinese TV series. Helming this trend are actresses Jang Seo-hee, Jang Na-ra and actor Park Hae-jin.
Photo: Jang Seo-hee 
After rising to stardom in China with the 2002 Korean TV series "Miss Mermaid," Jang Seo-hee played one of the female leads in the Chinese hit TV series "Master Lin in Seoul" (2011). She is also the lead in a big-budget Chinese historical drama that began airing in December.
   Park, who was first introduced to the Chinese market with his appearance in the Korean TV series "Famous Seven Princesses" (2006), is now as popular as Jang Seo-hee in China. His popularity has sky-rocketed in recent years with successes in two Chinese TV series, "Another Brilliant Life" and "Qian Duo Duo Jia Ren Ji" both shot last year. "He has recently received many job offers in China" and is the top-earning Korean actor there, the star's management agency said.
   Jang Na-ra, who has acted in several Chinese TV series, such as "My Bratty Princess" (2006), "Good Morning Shanghai" (2007) and "Unruly Qiao" (2011), is so well known in China that some local viewers often mistake her for being Chinese. Her agency says the young actress will continue to work and foster her popularity in the country.
   In the Chinese film industry, Korean stars Song Hye-kyo, Kwone Sang-woo and Jang Dong-gun have also been active.
   Song, who gained popularity in the Chinese-speaking world through the Korean dramas "Autumn in My Heart" (2000) and "Full House" (2004), has recently starred in two Chinese films. One of those films, Wong Kar Wai's new masterpiece "The Grandmasters," also features Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi, and is set to open at the Berlin International Film Festival on Monday.
   Song was cast in renowned Chinese director John Woo's next film "1949" starring Chen Chang. The film recently finished shooting.
Photo: Song Hye-kyo
Kwone knocked on the door of the Chinese market with the country's romantic comedy "Shadow of Love" co-starring Hong Kong actress Cecelia Cheung last year.
   He later captivated Chinese movie goers with "CZ12," also known as "Chinese Zodiac," a 2012 Hong Kong-Chinese action film written, directed by, and starring world-renowned action star Jackie Chan. Released in December, the film to date has grossed over US$137 million at the Chinese box office.
Photo: Kwon Sang-woo

• 2 weeks later...

^AHA I KNEW IT!! Agree that they had great chemistry in Cloud Atlas, which may not really mean anything IRL. But seeing them get along sooooo well during the press junket, that's when I totally went ''mmm hmmm..." :-? :x

He's obviously a cutie, but he seems like a nice guy too, or at least I hope he is. Very happy for her. It's been a while since her last breakup (she said it was a non-showbiz guy). Hopefully the paparazzi leaves them be since Jim hasn't really broken out yet. Man the Korean tabloids are gonna have a field day -- remember the Park Jin-sung tempest-in-a-teapot? Which turned out to not even be true lol. Imagine the ink about to be spilled on a Korean actress actually dating a Hollywood guy... But who cares! Go Doona! Enjoy yourselves, lovebirds! It's a good thing she's out of the country anyway.

Guest soetkorv

Awww I knew it too! ^^ They really had some amazing chemistry in Cloud Atlas and were so sexy together somehow. I couldn't help but wish they'd be together irl :). Seeing them in their interviews and certainly at the press junket, I totally felt something  :x!!! They make such a cute, beautiful couple! Their Neo-Seoul story was heartbreaking, and it's like Hae-Joo Chang and Sonmi-451 finally got to be together in this life aww  ;;). I'm so happy for them!!!! I really hope the Korean press will leave them alone. I wish them all the best and happiness, and btw I can't help but think that they'd have the most beautiful babies ^___^Go Doona you're the best! The most brilliant versatile genuine actress out there! 

soetkorv said: Awww I knew it too! ^^ They really had some amazing chemistry in Cloud Atlas and were so sexy together somehow. I couldn't help but wish they'd be together irl :). Seeing them in their interviews and certainly at the press junket, I totally felt something  :x!!! They make such a cute, beautiful couple! Their Neo-Seoul story was heartbreaking, and it's like Hae-Joo Chang and Sonmi-451 finally got to be together in this life aww  ;;). I'm so happy for them!!!! I really hope the Korean press will leave them alone. I wish them all the best and happiness, and btw I can't help but think that they'd have the most beautiful babies ^___^Go Doona you're the best! The most brilliant versatile genuine actress out there! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

April 11, 2013
Growing Korean film industry flexes international muscle
Hallyu stars on demand in Hollywood 
By Chung Ah-young The Korea Times
Just a few years ago Korea was not an attractive destination for Hollywood stars to promote their films ― they either went to Japan or China or Hong Kong, often skipping Korea. 
But now the nation is becoming a must-stop location for movie stars. In recent months, high-profile Hollywood mega stars such as Hugh Jackman, Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert Downey Jr., Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tom Cruise have rushed to Korea because the domestic film market is growing dramatically. Rising marketing point
04-12-05-01.jpg
Actress Bae Doo-na
04-12-05-02.jpg
Actor Lee Byung-hun
04-12-05-03.jpg
Director Kim Jee-woon
The Korean cinematic market size was valued at over 1.4 trillion won in 2012, an increase of 21 percent last year from 1.2 trillion won in 2011, rising to number seven in world rankings ― on par with that of Germany’s.
Last year, the number of moviegoers surpassed 194.89 million, up 22 percent from 159.72 million the previous year. The buying power of Korean moviegoers is strong enough to make foreign distributors concerned about their share in the market.
Among some foreign blockbusters that found success here last year was “Les Miserables,” a musical starring Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman. 
“As the Korean market rises in the world rankings, Hollywood cineastes keen on pioneering a new market in other regions are showing great interest. As part of this, more Hollywood A-listers are visiting Korea to grab the hearts of the local audience,” said Park Lucia, an official of CJ E&M, a major film distributor.
She said that their interest is shown in various ways such as participating in the production of Korean films or casting Korean actors in their movies.
“Running Man” directed by Cho Dong-oh is the first Korean movie fully funded by a major Hollywood studio, Fox International Productions ― part of 20th Century Fox ― and starring Shin Ha-kyun and Lee Min-ho. The company has so far invested in 50 non-English language films in more than 11 countries. Fox earlier grabbed the opportunity to invest here among other foreign entertainment giants, partially financing in the crime thriller “Hwanghae,” a 2010 mega-hit.
Bae Doo-na starred in the sci-fi film “Cloud Atlas” directed byLana and Andy Wachowski along with Hollywood A-listers Tom Hanks and Halle Berry. Lee Byung-hun appeared in the sci-fi action movie, “G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation.” Lee’s bigger role as Storm Shadow is believed to have boosted sales at the box office, according to the local distributor. Other actors co-starring with Lee came to Korea to promote the film last month.
Also Korean directors are developing their reputations in Hollywood. Park Chan-wook made his Hollywood debut with “Stoker” starring Nicole Kidman and Matthew Goode, which has received rave reviews from critics worldwide. Kim Jee-woon made his first attempt at Hollywood with “Last Stand,” starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Forest Whitaker. 
“Promoting foreign films is difficult unlike local films as Korean actors can frequently show up in public. So the growing role of Korean actors in Hollywood and foreign stars’ visits here can contribute to leaving a strong impression about their films on Korean fans,” Park said.
Korea-friendly marketing
04-12-05-04.jpg
Arnold Schwarzenegger
04-12-05-05.jpg
Robert Downey Jr.
04-12-05-06.jpg
Tom Cruise
At the end of last year, Jackman visited Korea to promote “Les Miserables” and revealed that he is a fan of figure skater Kim Yu-na and expressed his desire to meet her in person. 
This was seen as momentum that drove the popularity of the movie here. He was appointed as a good-will ambassador of Seoul in 2009 and is now a household name in the capital among other Hollywood stars. 
Tom Cruise received an honorary citizenship from Busan, the nation’s largest port city, home to the annual Busan International Film Festival, during his visit to Korea to promote “Jack Reacher” in January. Cruise is known as a Hollywood celebrity who has special attachment to Korea because he has visited here six times. The local distributor said that he chooses Korea as the first destination of Asian tours to promote his films.
“Many Hollywood stars who have visited are deeply impressed by the fervent support of Korean fans. They are fascinated by their hearty reactions. So they repeatedly visit Korea,” she said.
Park also said that they naturally chose more Korea-friendly marketing to woo Korean audiences. “Because of the increasing influence of the Korean audience, they are getting keener on what Korean fans like the most and are interested in,” said Park.
Robert Downey Jr. performed the horse dance to Psy’s“Gangnam Style” during his promotional visit to Seoul for “Iron Man 3” last week. The film will have its global premiere in Seoul on April 25, a week ahead of the U.S. premiere. It is rare for a Hollywood blockbuster to have its premiere in Korea, indicative of the growing status of the Korean movie industry in the world. "I want to thank the brothers and sisters of Korea. Korea has been one of the key markets for Iron Man," Downey said. 
Korean stars who act in Hollywood films are also contributing to the digital forms of advertizing. 
Bae promoted her new film in Korea through a mobile application. She said that the film is “a piece of work that marks a milestone in cinema history” and she was “excited to hear the names of her co-stars.” 
Given that 60 percent or 30 million out of 50 million mobile phone owners use smartphones, the digital gadgets are ideal for conducting effective promotional campaigns. 
Press conferences of promotional events for foreign films are streamed live online. When Jackman and Cameron Mackintosh visited here for “Les Miserables” last year, their fans could watch a real-time international video conference.

April 16, 2013
Bae Doo-na stars in new film by Wachowski siblings
The Korea Herald
20130416001122_0.jpg
(Chung Hee-cho/The Korea Herald)
South Korean actress Bae Doo-na has joined the cast of Lana and Andy Wachowski’s upcoming sci-fi movie, “Jupiter Ascending.”
In an interview with a local magazine, Bae said she was once again starring in the Wachowskis’ film after successfully making it into the Hollywood scene with the siblings’ previous flick “Cloud Atlas.” She said she felt more comfortable working with them this time.
The new sci-fi adventure film, written and directed by the Wachoski siblings, features Mila Kunis (“Oz the Great and Powerful”), Channing Tatum (“Magic Mike”) and Eddie Redmayne (“Les Misérables”).
Filming is underway and Bae has joined the shooting at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden in Britain. The production will move to Chicago for completion after June, and the film is to be released in 3-D in July 2014.
From news report

April 16, 2013
Bae Doona to appear in the Wachowskis' next film
YonhapNews
AEN20130416010700315_01_i.jpg

SEOUL, April 16 (Yonhap) -- South Korean actress Bae Doona will appear in the Wachowskis' next film following her Hollywood debuting role in the siblings' latest work, "Cloud Atlas," according to a local fashion and beauty magazine Tuesday.
   "I was cast in Lana and Andy Waschowski's new film titled 'Jupiter Ascending,'" Bae was quoted as saying in an interview with the bimonthly magazine, "High Cut."
   "I came to have a family-like feeling toward the Waschowski siblings as I was with them for Cloud Atlas," Bae said. "The new film is a far easier and more enjoyable sci-fi film than Cloud Atlas."
   Bae, best known at home for her lead role in "The Host," a Korean sci-fi blockbuster that hit the local box-office in 2006, debuted in Hollywood as a genetically engineered clone in Cloud Atlas, which was released in January.
   Written and directed by the Waschowskis, "Jupiter Ascending" has Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis in the lead roles. The movie is set to open in cinemas across the world in 2014.