Bae Doo Na 배두나

melusine

'Korea' Ha Jiwon shows her tears in front of Korean people in Japan

/Reporting by Lim Ju-Hui en@starnnews.com

2012-04-24 08:37

20120423232949568.jpg

Ha Jiwon showed her tears in front of Korean people in Japan.

On April 20th, a special premiere of movie 'Korea' was held at Chiba town center for Korean people living in Japan.

The premiere was held not only because the 1991 World Table Tennis Championship was held in Chiba, but also to thank the Korean people in Japan who cheered for Korea's victory.

The premiere was requested by a Korean living in Japan who heard about the movie, and approximately 1000 fans gathered for the premiere, and many Japanese press reporters attended as well.

Ha Jiwon showed her tears while talking on the stage, and said "I acted as 'Hyun Junghwa', and I feel like I'm feeling the glory of the past. I'm just overwhelmed by such a hot reaction of the audiences. I hope the movie will bring a great joy to the audiences here."

Other actors and actresses also showed their thanks, and the audiences made a large round of applause for them.

Move 'Korea' will be released on May 3rd.

Related links:

Agile News, Agile News

The premiere of the ‘movie’ Korea in Japan causes a sensation

April 28, 2012 12:15 pm

cloud2c2h Korea.com

201204270921773891_1.jpg

via OSEN

Japanese major outlets recently scooped the premiere of the movie Korea, held in Chiba prefecture, Japan.

The movie, starring Ha Ji Won and Bae Doo Na, is based on a true story in which North and South Korea formed a united team for a table tennis match in the 41st World Table Tennis Championships, held in Chiba prefecture, Japan.

On April 27, the film production company The Tower Pictures stated the special premiere of the movie Korea in Chiba prefecture had been reported through Japanese major outlets, receiving a lot of attention.

The special premiere was held at the Chiba Citizen Hall, accommodating 1000 Korean-Japanese on April 20. Some 40 outlets, including NHK, Yomiuri, Mainichi, Sankei Sports attended the event.

On April 20, the Japanese daily newspaper Yomiuri scooped the premiere with the title “The united table tennis team between South and North Korea appears in Chiba”

Sankei Sports reported the event with the title, “One is stronger than two”—quoted by actress Ha Ji Won. Nikan Sports showed huge interests on Ha Ji Won through its article. The local newspaper Chiba Daily also reported the event with heft.

The high-profile movie will be released on May 3.

Videos [NHK] [Fancam]

191959_13757_442.jpg

20120423113518031.jpg

20120423113518047.jpg

20120423113518070.jpg

N2012042316320590001.jpg

201204241701771553_1.jpg

20120423113518060.jpg

20120423023624_194529_600_400.jpg

via Newsen, JKN, Metro Seoul +Daum/Nate

KBS Entertainment Relay - April 28, 2012

20120428221556403e7_221851_0.jpg

via Newsen, Newsen

20120429_1335626215_66895700_1.jpg

via TV Report

[interview] Bae Doo Na Opens Up About Her Lee Bun Hui Character in ′Korea′

2012-04-26 09:00 l CJ E&M enewsWorld Choi, EunHwa

Translation Credit : Ju Ahn Lee

E120424_002.jpg

In 1998, a new model appeared in the model industry like a comet from the sky. She possessed a tall height of 171cm with long, straight arms and legs, and, above all, a dreamy image. She found a place for herself besides us for over 14 years thanks to her profound, mysterious expression and unique individuality. These days, only a very few still look at her as a model.

Model-turned-actress Bae Doo Na quickly rose to fame with the movie The Host, which received the love of more than 10 million moviegoers.

Bae Doo Na’s career spans over 14 years and 31 movie and drama productions, yet she seems to portray a new and fresh character role in each production. She has appeared as a school teacher, ghost, doll and an archer in the past, and it appears she does not confine herself to any one role.

KIM_6887.JPG

For her latest film Korea, Bae Doo Na played the role of North Korean table tennis hero Lee Bun Hui.

Korea, which is based on a true story, tells the historical story of how the North and South Korean female table tennis teams came together in 1991 to form a unified team for the first time in history and ended up winning against the formidable China team to become the 41st International Table Tennis Competition champions.

South Korea’s Hyun Jung Hwa was portrayed by Ha Ji Won while Bae Doo Na played the role of North Korea’s Lee Bun Hui.

Starting with their short hairstyle and makeup-less face, the actors were able to thoroughly transform themselves for their Korea roles. In fact, Bae Doo Na couldn’t even freely laugh or cry during the production. It was because she was no longer Bae Doo Na. Instead, she was Lee Bun Hui.

As a result, she felt completely alone. She had to turn around and hide her tears and control her overwhelming emotions in front of the camera. No one could console Bae Doo Na or tell her that they understood what she was going through.

Bae Doo Na had to become stronger for her role. Moreover, she started filming with only director Hyun Jung Hwa’s simple description of Lee Bun Hui as a ‘proud athlete’. In the end, she had to create her very own Lee Bun Hui from the stories of her North Korean dialect teacher.

KIM_6905.JPG

It appears Bae Doo Na portrayal of Lee Bun Hui was a smashing success.

At a recent Korea press conference held in Chiba, Japan, a Jochongnyeon official revealed her close relationship to Lee Bun Hui and said, "Bae Doo Na resembled the famous North Korean table tennis player. We were extremely delighted to hear that Bae Doo Na properly represented Lee Bun Hui and that one more person got to know about the identity of Lee Bun Hui."

On April 23, enews met with Bae Doo Na at a cafe in Samcheongdong. During the interview, Bae Doo Na revealed her own personal perspective, as well as that of the actor Bae Doo Na and Lee Bun Hui. Her eyes glowed with interest whenever she started talking about acting, and she even got emotional when discussing stories related to Lee Bun Hui.

KIM_6827.JPG

Why did director Moon Hyun Sung cast Bae Doo Na as Lee Bun Hui?

“I turned down the role at first. Although the director said that it had to be me, I replied that someone else could play the role just as well. As those who saw the movie will know, [Lee Bun Hui] was a charming character and I told the director that anyone could portray her. In the end, the director succeeded in persuading me [to take the role].”

In situations where you could not study or feel Lee Bun Hui’s character, how did you go about fleshing out the character?

“I didn’t have to add many things. I just followed what was on the script. Director Hyun described Lee Bun Hui with a single word – ‘proud’. As such I tried to portray a proud person who didn’t reveal her emotions easily, an exceedingly confident athlete who believed that she was the best. I also looked at Lee Bun Hui’s profile picture on Naver, which happened to be the only available information on her. Her white skin and gentle image was charming."

KIM_6837.JPG

Was it lonely trying to recreate Lee Bun Hui’s character on your own?

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t lonely. Since I didn’t have Lee Bun Hui’s assistance, I had to rely heavily on my North Korean dialect teacher. Throughout the production, I was absorbed in all things Lee Bun Hui."

"Although outwardly I was expressionless, there was a rumbling within my heart. Losing to Hyun Jung Hwa in the semifinals, and losing in the final after becoming a unified team because of my bad condition were heartbreaking experiences. Of course although these scenarios were in the script, it was still difficult to control my emotions.”

Is Bae Doo Na a person who cries a lot normally?

“Bae Doo Na cries a lot but Lee Bun Hui doesn’t. Although there were situations when I got emotional, I couldn’t cry during the shooting. It was quite difficult to hold in my tears on the set. In particular, it was tough controlling my emotions when we lost in the final after what our team had to go through to get there."

"Although it was in the script, it was hard to compliment Soon Bok or tell Jin Yoon Young that everything was alright. It was fun living together but the smell of sweat drove me crazy.”

E120424_003.jpg

Was Korea a challenging experience for Bae Doo Na?

“I have learned many things. Korea was a challenge and also a turning point for me. I feel like I have become a stronger [actor]. Up until now, I was constantly showered with love. (laugh) Of course, I have continued to receive the director and the staff’s love on the set but something was different this time. I feel like I matured after overcoming the many challenges in Korea.

Do you normally talk about movies with your family?

“Yes, I do. Since my older brother works in the movie industry and my mother is a stage actor, you can’t imagine how much interest they have in movies. Sometimes I get a bit uncomfortable and ask them to stop talking about it (laugh).”

What did your movie director brother (Bae Doo Han) and stage actress mother (Kim Hwa Young) say to you after watching the movie?

“My mother told me that her friends really enjoyed the movie. Instead of rating the movie or my acting, my mother’s friends cried a lot while watching the movie. I’m pretty sure folks from my mother’s generation experienced a different emotion than [the younger generation]. My older brother is the straightforward type and as soon as I came home from the movie press conference, I told him ‘Stop right there, if you were going to point out [my mistakes] (laugh).”

KIM_6896.JPG

Bae Doo Na’s The Host and Ha Ji Won’s Haeundae - A competition between two actresses who each had a movie that attracted well over 10 million moviegoers.

"There was no competition between us. [Ha Ji Won] took a 5 minute break after a four hour filming session while I needed a 15 min break (laugh). It was difficult for me because I lacked the stamina, but [Ha Ji Won], whose endurance is well known throughout the movie industry, showed her tip-top physical condition."

"It was also difficult for me because I got aches all over my body but I kept on trucking. The rivalry never crossed my mind since I joined the cast later than everyone else and had to learn how to play table tennis left-handed. As such, I merely wanted to learn as quickly as possible.”

KIM_6894.JPG

How would you describe Han Ye Ri, who plays the role of your teammate Yoo Soon Bok, in the movie?

“She is an extraordinary [actress]. I especially looked after her. Although her character role was a cute one, I liked her ‘weighty’ presence. I have high expectations for her and I think she will become a good, successful actress in the future. Besides Ye Ri, I also took care of Jong Seok and the other North Korean team members.”

KIM_6847.JPG

Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan

Original Korean article: enews24 Part 1 Part 2

Bae Doo Na Talks of How She Lost Her Toenail in Shoot for ‘Korea’

2012-05-03 CJ E&M enewsWorld Park, HyunMin | Translation Credit : Erika Kim

Bae Doo Na talked about the difficulties she had to pull through for the film Korea.

The actress appeared on the Actresses section of the May 2 broadcast of MBC FM4U’s Jung Yeop’s Blue Night, and said, “My toenail fell off because I was practicing table tennis four to five hours a day while jumping up and down the entire time. I showed it to coach Hyun Jung Hwa, and she said, ‘I don’t have any toenails. This is nothing; carry on’, so I just put a band aid on it and practiced again.”

56067764.jpg

She also showed her attachment to the table tennis player Lee Bun Hui, whose role she took on in Korea. “I really wanted to meet Lee Bun Hui so much while I was shooting. I had a lot to say to her if I could just meet her for 30 minutes, and I wanted to ask her whether I’m doing okay,” she said in tears.

Bae Doo Na also touched on her Hollywood debut piece, Cloud Atlas, which was directed by the Wachowski Brothers. “I always went alone to the meetings, script readings and shoots in Germany. I feel supported if I have my manager or stylist look after me, but I feel like I’m slacking off. I like being alone because then I have to be fierce. I can concentrate solely on my character and stop acting like an actress after I learn and experience everything in person.”

Actresses is the most popular section in Jung Yeop’s Blue Night, and invites top actresses to open up about themselves. Kim Jung Eun, Song Hye Gyo, Kim Ha Neul, Kim Sun Ah, Han Ga In, Go Ara and Kim Ok Bin have all appeared in the show.

Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan

^Thanks for the heads-up rubie :)

From Tom Giammarco: One of my students at Woosuk University, Kim Han-eol, told me that he would like to develop his translation skills. He asked that I give him material to translate and wondered if I would go over it with him, helping him with grammar and vocabulary choices. Of course, I was happy to do that and directed him to entertainment news section of Daum. I told him he could pick any article there and he selected an interview with actress Bae Doo-na written by Jo Jeong-Won, “Issue Reporter” of Daum Entertainment, published online April 30, 2012. I think he did a great job on the translation and asked his permission to post the edited work here. He agreed.

Bae Doo-na is currently in theaters in the film As One. It is the story of the first time South and North Korea united their athletes to participate in an international event. The Korean title of this film is simply ‘Korea‘ which is what the unified team was called but the English name was changed to As One since most non-Koreans take Korea to refer to South Korea. In the movie, Bae plays the North Korean table tennis athlete Lee Boon-hee. What follows is the translation of the article:

“I’M COMING OUT OF BEING LEE BOON-HEE,” says Bae Doo-Na.

Original Korean article: Issue Daily/Herald Biz

Translation: Kim Han-eol via Seen in Jeonju

thumb_3y40i201204300056267116.jpg

“When the filming started, I became Lee Boon-hee and I could feel my heart race. Now I am gradually getting out of her shadow.” The movie she is referring to is called As One (directed by Moon Hyeon-seong) and is based on the true story of the first union of North and South Korea when their table tennis teams worked together for 46 days under the name ‘Korea.’

During the matches, the North Korean player Lee Boon-hee had the image of being cold-blooded and fearless in the midst of a game. The coach of the team, Hyeon Jeong-hwa described her as a conceited person. On the day of this interview in a cafe in Seoul, my first impression of Bae Doo-na was that she was unapproachable. Was this the influence of playing the role of Lee Boon-hee? As we spoke, that gradually faded and a warm personality and delightful energy emerged from her.

thumb_0paz2201205021010161693.jpg

Lee Boon-hee rarely expresses her feelings in the story even when provoked by opponents. She merely responds with her own poker face and continues with her work. In this, there are some similarities between Bae Doo-na and Lee Boon-hee. However, Bae’s offscreen life is that of a purely brilliant woman and Lee Boon-hee may very well be that way as well. “I wonder what others, besides my family and friends, will think of the movie. My parents and friends cried like I did when they saw it. How was the movie?” she asked me.

In response to her question, I said, “I thought that your natural character was perfectly suited for playing that character as you two seem alike.” She was shocked by my answer and showed her gratitude.

“It is a pleasure to hear that the character and I are alike rather than I did a good job acting. I had been wondering what Lee Boon-hee would think if she had a chance to watch this film.”

thumb_fj42t201205021012037643.jpg

The hardest thing about the role was the emotions that overwhelmed Bae. As soon as the cameras started rolling, she completely transformed into Lee Boon-hee.

"It was hard for me to hold back my tears in the last scene. I was expected to overcome the situation but I could not stop shedding tears. My body was out of my control and I was nauseous. I was mad at myself and it was horrible to endure. It is a scene that is supposed to be funny when the coach argues and gets a red card, however I could not stop crying and I resented myself for it.”

thumb_abptt201204300101036077.jpg

As One does not manipulate the audience into feeling sorrowful. It promotes an emotional response naturally and honestly. As Bae is also naturally honest with her emotions, it was hard for her to hide them.

“When I was in my 20’s, I thought after each film that I would be myself again after filming wrapped up. It was like that when I finished making Air Doll (2012). But after winding up As One, it was difficult for me to start my next film, Cloud Atlas. I cannot fully shake the image of Lee Boon-hee. I want to slow down.”

I proposed that in order to refresh herself that we order some sweet chocolates from the cafe and which I know she enjoys. But the image of Lee Boon-hee remains with her.

thumb_s36lm201205012146097601.jpg

The movie As One has the power to immerse the audience into the film. The strength of the film lies in the fact that it is based on a true story.

“As I watched the film, I should have been watching my performance without any other thoughts, but I was fascinated by the movie. It was hard for me to look at it objectively after playing Lee Boon-hee. Audiences are going to like this film because the strong impression it will leave. They will find the last scenes really inspirational.”

thumb_t06ba201205021014422533.jpg

Bae Doo-na is not beautiful in this film. For much of the film, her face is soaked in sweat and she did not like to wear make-up in this role.

“Actually, I don’t care for cosmetics. Even now I’m not wearing much. I hate to wear full make-up. And I will certainly not wear make-up if the story I am filming requires me to depict a real character. As an actress, unless I am on a public stage or need to look refreshed, I do not enjoy it.” (laughs)

Reflecting her real life onscreen… that is a common theme for both Bae Doo-na and Lee Boon-hee.

thumb_dfx3r201204300059398480.jpg

There was a rumor stating that the reason Bae was selected for this film was because she learned table tennis in elementary school, but when asked, the answer turned out to be “No.”

“As you know, I am right-handed and Lee Boon-hee was left-handed. For the basic moves, it was possible to use my right hand, but I had to learn to use my left hand and it was the first time I had to do anything like this. I had never used my left hand and for the harder moves, my strength was insufficient. My swings were unnatural and problems arose because my left hand was not strong enough and when I hit with my right hand, I was too strong. I had to practice a lot before filming.”

thumb_ji4pv201205012148444068.jpg

When I asked Bae Doo-na what was the most difficult thing about making this film, she pondered the question and put deep meaning into her answer. “I have no regrets after making this film but I will think of As One whenever I face hardship. Table tennis requires a lot of energy even though it seems like there are not many moves.”

As One will open on May 3rd. Bae Doo-na is preparing for her busy interview schedule in the coming days.

“After it premiered, the response has been very positive and we are optimistic that this film will do well.”

thumb_0ahs9201205012152498401.jpg

Barking Dogs Never Bite inspired her as an actress twelve years ago. In other words, it was her turning point. “After a decade, it is time for a new turning point. As One could provide the motivation for one.”

Finally, I asked her if she thought about getting married and if she has a boyfriend, and she laughed in response.

“In the past, I had to hide my emotions. But I don’t have to do that anymore. I am not interested in getting married, but I wouldn’t mind going out once in a while.”

It has been 14 years since Bae Doo-na debuted as an actress. In that time, she as accumulated an impressive filmography. We have no doubt that, as always, she is going to shine in As One.

Movie "Korea" Reaches 650,000 Viewers Within 5 Days

by: jnkm on May 8, 2012 Flag as inappropriate

Soompi.com

The film "Korea" has reached 650,000 viewers in just a mere five days after its opening.

According to the Korean box office, around 58,000 viewers went to watch "Korea" on May 7. With the total number of around 650,000 viewers, "Korea" is currently holding the number two spot at the box office. Reaching that many people in just five days clearly states that "Korea" is enjoying immense success.

"Korea" is based on a true story about the first time a North Korean and a South Korean athletic joined together to form a team to play and win during the 1991 World Championships. The film stars actresses Ha Ji Won and Bae Doo Na.

Meanwhile, "Avengers" took the number one spot with over 4 million viewers so far and "Eun Gyo" in third place with a total of about 1 million viewers.

'Korea' dominating at movie theaters

The number of viewers of movie 'Korea' is about to exceed 600 thousand.

According to the integrated network of Korea Film Council, the 596,796th tickets of Korea was sold on 4th.

'Korea' is currently ranked 2nd after 'Avengers'.

'Korea' is a movie about North and South Korean united team in 1991 World Table Tennis Championship, and the movie fans' are showing explosive reactions for the new movie.

/Reporting by Lim Ju-Hui en@starnnews.com

2012-05-08 11:31

20120508120706556.jpg

20120508120706546.jpg