[movie 2005] Mr. Socrates 미스터 소크라테스

Guest klaritia

Guest klaritia
Kim Rae Won, Kang Shin Il, Lee Jong Hyuk, Yoon Tae Young
Kim Rae Won Stars in "Mr. Socrates" 00000084o.jpg<--- teaser poster exhibited at the 2005 Cannes Films Festival socrates3og.jpg<--- Poster in cinemas + billboards Premiere dates [Korea] Nov 10, 2005 Official site: http://www.mrsocrates.co.kr [Taiwan] May 5, 2006 Official site: http://max7.ezpeer.com/sw20//movie/mrsocrates/060420.htm [Japan] Dec 2, 2006 Official site: http://www.cinemart.co.jp/socrates/ From film distributor, Microvision English Website: http://www.mirovision.com/english/movie/fe...sp?movie_sno=84 Synopsis You have no idea what a bad richard simmons he is! KU Dong-hyuck is a petty thug. He has no sense of conscience nor respect for others. He visits his father in prison for money and blackmails his friend who commits murder accidentally. One day, he's kidnapped by a criminal ring and undergoes harsh training against his will. Afterwards, the ring forces him to become a homicide detective. KIM Rae-won as KU Dong-hyuck 00000258m.jpg He has built a soft, gentle guy's image in his previous work. In <Mr. Socrates>, he becomes completely different. He plays an unrighteous, disrespectful black sheep that everybody stays away from. To deliver his character as realistically as possible, he went thought a 3-month-long weight training and gave himself a copper-bronze body. .Filmography. 2004 <My Little Bride> 2004 <Love Story in Harvard> / TV Dramas 2003 <ing…> 2003 <Cat on the Roof>, <Tell Me You Love Me>, <Snowman> / TV Dramas 2002 <2424> 2002 <My Love, Patji> / TV Dramas 2001 <Life is Beautiful> / TV Dramas 2000 <Young Days> 1998 <Scent of a Man> KANG Sin-il as Bum-pyo 2005041522364891558_1.jpg He tames KU Dong-hyuck after the criminal ring kidnaps him. He showed excellent performance in such box-office hits as <Silmido>, <Public Enemy>, and <Another Public Enemy>. His character is quiet and gentle, but changes dramatically into a monster when driven to the corner. . Filmography. 2005 <Another Public Enemy> 2005 <Green Rose> / TV Dramas 2004 <Some> 2004 <Go, BONG Soon-young!>, <Sunshine> / TV Dramas 2003 <Sword in the Moon>, <The Legend of Evil Lake> 2002 <Public Enemy>, <NO. 815> 2000 <The Uprising> LEE Jong-hyeuk as Captain SHIN 2005041522364891558_2.jpg He received impressive acclaims playing opposite KWON Sang-woo in <Spirit of Jeet Kune Do: Once Upon a Time in High School>. In <Mr. Socrates>, he plays Captain SHIN, a police academy graduate who's willing to risk his life to see justice rule. . Filmography. Musicals <Cheap Opera>, <Sworn Brothers>, <Oh! Happy Day> 2004 <Spirit of Jeet Kune Do: Once Upon a Time in High School> 1999 <Attack the Gas Station> 1998 <Swiri> Production Note A crime-action movie that surpasses the shock of <Infernal Affairs> and the twist of <Old Boy>! In <Mr. Socrates>, a black sheep who has lived a lowly life is turned into a homicide detective by the criminal ring. In a sense that a member of the criminal ring becomes a detective, the story is similar to that of <Infernal Affairs>. However, he has no sense of righteousness, which makes it so different and unique. With an unpredictable story and the shocking twist, people are already comparing it to <Old Boy>, for which director PARK Chang-wook won Grand Prize of the Jury. KIM Rae-won on his way to stardom throughout Asia after BAE Yong-jun and LEE Byung-heon! His name isn't unheard of in Japan, China, and Taiwan, thanks to TV series and a movie that he starred in. He says that the character named KU Dong-hyuck appealed to him so much when he first read the script. He has built an image of a soft, gentle guy in his previous work, but <Mr. Socrates> will show the movie fans a completely different side of him. Official movie website: http://www.mrsocrates.co.kr/ 11mrsocrates9lw.jpg * WallpaperS http://www.mrsocrates.co.kr/swf/wallpaper/wall1_1280.zip http://www.mrsocrates.co.kr/swf/wallpaper/wall2_1280.zip * PosterS http://www.mrsocrates.co.kr/swf/poster/poster3.zip http://www.mrsocrates.co.kr/swf/poster/poster2.zip http://www.mrsocrates.co.kr/swf/poster/poster1.zip Info credits to www.raewonisland.com with special thanks to hyu & angelfish^^

After seeing it myself (with other people's comments), I think this movie should be categorised as "ACTION COMEDY". It's NOT bloody at all, I guess it's restricted to 18+ viewers mainly because the actors swear and swear... :sweatingbullets: Haven't heard of so much swear words in any movies I've seen! :P It's very funny particularly for the first half. And it has a serious theme. Don't miss it! Read this professional review from yesasia.com, quite informative... :)Mr. Socrates is the first film proper from Choi Jin Won, whose only previous credit of note was co-directing Memento Mori (the sequel to influential teen horror Whispering Corridors), and is another in the long line of hip, stylized crime dramas that have been pouring out of Korea over the last few years. Sadly, this in itself may be enough to put off many viewers, as there is no denying the fact that the film's central premise treads familiar ground. However, as with A Bittersweet Life, lurking beneath the surface is a surprising amount of depth and a genuinely interesting central protagonist. Of course, it helps that the film has a slyly ironic sense of humor, and countless scenes of people being beaten to a pulp with steel baseball bats, all of which contribute to what is a highly entertaining film which deserves to stand out from the crowd of similar efforts. The plot follows Dong Hyuk (Kim Rae Won, in a departure from his last role in the romantic comedy My Little Bride) a common street thug who is clearly going nowhere with his life. One night, he is kidnapped by a group of gangsters who keep him prisoner in an abandoned school. Here, he is put through a brutal regime of lessons and training with one purpose in mind - to prepare him for the police qualification exams. Probably as a result of having seen too many films, the gangsters have the brilliant idea of turning Dong Hyuk into a tame homicide detective to help use the law for their own benefits. Unsurprisingly, things don't go quite to plan, as Dong Hyuk takes to his job like a fish to water, mainly for the simple reason that he sees being a policeman as a great excuse for getting into fights with impunity. Although the story is immediately reminiscent of Infernal Affairs and Old Boy, the film owes far more to Public Enemy in that it takes a bleak and humorous look at modern notions of justice and the law. The film does this in a reasonable philosophical manner, portraying the police force and the gangsters as being similar, and depicting both as groups who use the law only when it suits them. Corruption is seen at every turn, with a complete lack of honest or traditionally 'good' characters. This moral void makes for interesting viewing, and the constant cynicism of the narrative, with the characters furthering their schemes only through luck or violence, is frequently amusing. The film as a whole is very funny, with the character of Dong Hyuk in particular providing a good number of laughs. He is an essentially symbolic figure, being a directionless, almost idiotic thug who is forced to learn and become a better person on the pain of constant beatings and threats on his life. The film's title comes into play as, once working as a policeman, he starts quoting philosophy to some of the people he thrashes, clearly without any understanding of what he is saying. Dong Hyuk does develop and grow through the film, and as such the viewer comes to care about his fate, mainly due to the fact that although he is undoubtedly vicious, he has an almost admirable single-mindedness that sets him apart from the rest of the scum. Mr. Socrates is fast moving, with plenty of action, most of it violent, though thankfully without any needless set pieces or the elaborately staged shoot outs which tend to find their way into such films. This lends the proceedings a gritty, if not entirely believable air and makes the director's musings on justice easier to swallow. There are flaws, however, mainly in the unavoidable sense of familiarity and the fact that there is little here that has not been seen before, especially in the anti-climatic ending which serves only to tie together the various plot strands in a too-hurried manner. However, the film is exciting, highly entertaining, drawing strength from its irreverent attitude, its likeable characters, and its desire to delve deeper into societal themes of right and wrong. Movie Grade: 4/5 Review by James - BeyondHollywood.com http://global.yesasia.com/en/Reviews/ProRe...mp;#rev_1562764 **************************************************************************** Kim Rae Won's cool cop image, portrayed by an artwork made on a capture of the film. kim35ac.jpg credit to noknok

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest klaritia

Mr. Socrates DVD

Korean Special Edition Version

Info from yesasia.com (also available at annyoung.com)

Mr. Socrates Limited Edition

~ Kim Rae Won | Kang Shin Il

Image Gallery (2)

r_g0000001524_0_01.jpg

r_g0000001524_14_01.jpg

Price: US$29.99

List: US$34.99

Save: US$5.00 (14%)

This item qualifies for free worldwide shipping.

From writer/director Choi Jin Won (co-director of 1999's Whispering Corridors follow-up Memento Mori) comes Mr. Socrates, an action-packed tale that's already earned comparisons with such hit movies as Infernal Affairs and Old Boy! The film centers on a lowlife thug named Ku Dong Hyuk (played by Kim Rae Won, star of romantic comedy My Little Bride), who seems to possess neither a conscience nor any shred of respect for his fellow human beings.

One fateful day, Dong Hyuk finds himself suddenly abducted by a mysterious group of gangsters. Naturally, the young hoodlum is puzzled as to why he's being held captive, and as the ordeal wears on, he begins to undergo a grueling sort of training. But why? Whatever the reason, Dong Hyuk does his best to escape from their clutches, but each time, he fails miserably. The consequences for his actions? More training - but each time, it's harder and more demanding than the last.

So what's the real reason behind his imprisonment? Would you believe that the gang is doing it so he can pass the police qualification exams? That's the premise behind this twisty crime drama in which a good-for-nothing young punk has to become a homicide detective, all thanks to a notorious crime ring's secret connections! Also featuring performances from Kang Shin Il (Public Enemy 1 and 2), Lee Jong Hyuk (Attack the Gas Station!), Yoon Tae Young (Never to Lose), Oh Kwang Rok (A Bittersweet Life), Park Cheol Min (Blood Rain), Heo Jeong Min (TV's Princess Lulu), and Park Yeong Hoon (director of Innocent Steps and Addicted), Mr. Socrates looks to be a gritty action picture about a decidedly different kind of undercover agent!

Special Features:

Making of documentary

Action scene featurette

Special effects featurette

CGI featurette

Interviews

Photo gallery

Music video

Trailers

N.B. The film is 109 mins long, so the special features are 71 minutes long :lol:

Product Information

Product Title : Mr. Socrates Limited Edition

Region Code : DVD3

Artist Name(s) : Kim Rae Won | Kang Shin Il | Yoon Tae Young

Release Date : January 12, 2006

Language : Korean

Subtitle : Korean , English

Duration : 180 Minutes

Rating : III

Package Weight : 350 g

Publisher : EnterOne

Other Information : 2 DVDs

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/...-videos/code-k/

Japanese Version

200702140000171insert_1.jpg

Release date: April 6, 2007

https://cart.ecv.jp/csb/servlet/GoodsDetail...p;categorycode=

Info on the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

4665933.jpg

Released on Nov 8, 2005

Track list:

01 . 메인 테마: 운동의 법칙 02:24

02 . 형사 아무나 하나 (opening) based on the riff from Tarkan’s song 'Olurum Sana' 00:26

03 . 친구를 왜 죽여 01:22

04 . 니들 어디 애들야 00:52

05 . 느와르 학교 1: 입학 01:07

06 . 느와르 학교 2: 어쿠스틱 테마 01:07

07. 느와르 학교 3: 사랑으로? 01:07

08. 느와르 학교 4: 전기기타 테마 03:17

09 . 느와르 학교 5: 야외수업 02:07

10. 학교 6: 시청각 교육 0:10

11 . Lust for brother's life 00:43

12 . 깡패 수사대 04:25

13 . 회장님의 갤러리 based on A. Glazunof’s Violin Concerto, 1st Movement 01:17

14 . Ludacris, Rolle Out (My Business) written by Chris Bridges, Tim Mosley 04:43

15 . 갈등의 벤다이어그램 01:39

16 . 그게 정당방위야 01:51

17 . Tarkan, Olurum Sana written by Tarkan 04:04

18 . 포장마차 월광 based on Beethoven’s Sonata for Piano No. 14 ‘Moonlight’ 04:19

19 . 당신은 내 선생 00:56

20 . 경찰 수사대 based on a Korean vulgar fold song (composer unknown) 03:01

21 . 결심 00:54

22 . 교도소의 아버지 01:48

23 . 도로교통법 위반 02:47

24 . 미안하다 세상아 (ending credit) 04:27

25 . 미안하다 세상아 (acoustic version) 03:24

N. B. Track 24 is the first song from the official website - http://www.mrsocrates.co.kr - click Multimedia>OST>first song on the list

Track 25 - the acoustic version is the longer version of the unplugged version from the official site (unplugged in English written). The musician responsible for the OST production sings after Raewon’s part.

I like Kim Rae Won as a good nice witty boy played in his previous roles. hehe

But this must be good too...

When is this movie to be released? 10 november 2005???

Guest goldyfish

fin filming, so now rae won oppa can take a good rest! thank you rae won for putting in so much effort in the movie. can't hardly wait to watch mr socrates~! :):wub:

Hi dearest Phoebe ~~~

THANK YOU soo much for re-starting the thread of Rae Won's upcoming crime /action movie "Mr. Socrates" ~~~ <333 :D

let's gather back the info & pics & links to make this thread great ~~~ B) B)

----------------------

I like Kim Rae Won as a good nice witty boy played in his previous roles. hehe

But this must be good too...

When is this movie to be released? 10 november 2005???

Hi tyn ~~

yeah... the movie will be premiered on Nov 10th ~~~~ :D

bd100d8e.jpg

45a2a46a.jpg

bd01d4c6.jpg

Guest klaritia

Hi, all^^

Thank you all for your support & interest in this movie :)

As a big KRW fan, I've been following the news & other info since March 05...can't wait to see KRW transformed as an ACTION MOVIE STAR in this most anticipated KRW movie :lol:

Have you all visited the official movie site yet?

http://www.mrsocrates.co.kr

This is a fabulous site...I must say the boss behind this movie has great expectation for it, investing so much money/effort in the publicity of the movie.

There's a way for you to leave a message. Here's the explanation by my friend, akie, of www.raewonisland.com for me & others, the how-to's:

Go into "board", click "freeboard" then, the list show up, click the little rectangle on the right bottom side with the word 쓰기which means "write". Now, type in the 제목(題目) which means "subject" on the left of the first line, on the right side said 비밀번호(秘密番號) which means "password". Second line left side 이름 means "name",right side 이메일is "e-mail".

The big black area is where you type what you would like to say. (It is pretty funny that you can not see the cursor!!)

Last step, way down there in the middle, click the left rectangle 확인(確認) which means "confirm", you are done now. ( right rectangle 춰소(取消) means "cancel".)

Please leave a message to show your support & I guess asking them to make an English version for the site is an important point, as there're so much valuable info and fun stuff (there're games!!!) but we don't understand a word.

Good luck with message posting & have fun surfing the site. Do come to this soompi thread often. You'll surely find goodies & the latest news abt the movie :)

Ah.....phoebe, just sent in my message on that site, hopefully they will seriously consider an english version of the site.

Here's what I posted btw:

This site is really useful for all Kim Rae Won fans who want to find out more about the movie, so am imploring the owner of the site to create an English version of the movie too if possible. Thanks lots in advance!

And middy, thanks again for uploading the CF clip, will try to watch it when I have the time later, I'm sure I'll love it getting to see RW with kids.

Archived