Ha Jung-Woo 하정우 [Drama “Narco-Saints” | Upcoming: Movies “Nocturnal”, “Ransomed” | Travel Reality Show “Bros on Foot”]

Helena

October 31, 2019

Soompi article: related excerpt only

Koreans Surveyed On Their Favorite Artists, Actors, And More

On October 31, Gallup Korea released the results of a survey held on famous figures loved by Koreans. Gallup previously held this same survey in 2004 and 2014.

This year, 1,700 people ages 13 and above located all around the country were surveyed from May 9 through 25. Of the participants, 845 were men, and 855 were women. There were 113 participants between the ages of 13 and 18, 274 between 19 and 29, 267 in their 30s, 312 in their 40s, 318 in their 50s, and 415 who were at least 60 years old. Quota sampling was used to choose these participants based on registered residents according to the Ministry of Public Administration and Security as of January 2019.

The margin of error is ±2.4 percent at the 95 percent confidence level.

note1.gif Respondents were also asked to name their favorite film actor.

The top responses are as follows (with each actor’s debut year in parentheses):

1. Song Kang Ho (1991) – 10.1 percent
2. Ma Dong Seok (2005) – 6.0 percent
3. Ahn Sung Ki (1957) – 5.8 percent
4. Ha Jung Woo (1998) – 5.1 percent
5. Jung Woo Sung (1994) – 4.8 percent
6. Lee Byung Hun (1991) – 3.8 percent
7. Hwang Jung Min (1994) – 3.3 percent
8. Yoo Hae Jin (1997) – 3.1 percent
9. Jang Dong Gun (1992) – 3.0 percent
10. Shin Sung Il (1960) – 2.5 percent

Source (1)

• 2 weeks later...

October 14, 2019

Im Soo Jung, Jang Ki Yong, Ha Jung Woo, And More Have Glamorous Gathering In LA

Source: Soompi by U. Kim

Im Soo Jung, Jang Ki Yong, Ha Jung Woo, And More Have Glamorous Gathering In LA

On October 12 (local time), Im Soo Jung, Park So Dam, Jang Ki Yong, Jo Jin Woong, and Ha Jung Woo attended Hammer Museum’s Gala in the Garden.

Hammer Museum is an art museum and cultural center located in Los Angeles, United States. The museum’s website describes the Gala in the Garden as an event that “celebrates artists and icons who have made profound contributions to society through their work.”

On October 14 KST, Im Soo Jung uploaded a photo of herself and the other actors at the event. She captioned the post, “It was great to see them after so long.”

According to Ilgan Sports, Song Kang Ho, director Park Chan Wook and his wife, and director Bong Joon Ho and his wife also met up with the actors at the event.

Source (1) (2)

Published on November 8, 2019 by CJ ENTERTAINMENT

ASHFALL Official International Teaser Trailer

November 11, 2019

Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung Woo, Suzy, And More Try To Avert Disaster In Posters For New Film

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung Woo, Suzy, And More Try To Avert Disaster In Posters For New Film

The upcoming film “Baekdusan” (literal title) has released new character posters showing the main cast as they undergo a transformation for the film.

“Baekdusan” will tell the story of people who must do their best to stop the final eruption of Mount Baekdu, which has enough force to swallow up both North and South Korea.

The new character posters show the five main cast members who will lead the story. From Ri Jun Pyeong (Lee Byung Hun), a North Korean armed forces personnel who holds key information that can help stop the eruption. This will be the first time the actor takes on a North Korean role. Jo In Chang (Ha Jung Woo) is staring at the fire and smoke surrounding Mount Baekdu in the poster, and is a captain who has been brought in on the secret project. Their tagline reads, “We have to stop the last eruption.”

Ha-Jung-Woo.jpg

Along with them is Kang Bong Rae (Ma Dong Seok), a geology professor who has been researching eruptions in Mount Baekdu, as well as Jeon Yoo Kyung (Jeon Hye Jin), who comes up with the plans to stop the eruption. Their posters raise anticipation as the tagline reads, “An impossible plan, it has to work.” Choi Soo Young (Suzy) is trying to survive in a city thrown into chaos, with her tagline reading, “I have to survive.”

The new film is set to premiere in December.

Source (1)

Coming soon..

ashfall2019.gif

November 11, 2019

Individual Character Posters Released for "Mt. Baekdu"

By William Schwartz on HanCinema.net

20191111_2.jpg

Five new individual character posters have been released for "Mt. Baekdu". Each one establishes context for the upcoming disaster film's five new leads, who are all expected to serve distinct overlapping roles in the larger story considering the eruption of the titular real life volcano.

Lee Byung-hun appears in his role as a North Korean agent gathering information about the mountain. Ha Jung-woo plays his counterpart on the South Korean side, a special operative attempting to prevent a final explosion. Ma Dong-seok appears as a scientific researcher, with the tagline of an impossible mission that must succeed.

Jeon Hye-jin shares Ma Dong-seok's tagline, as the woman who solicits his help for the mission. Lastly, Suzy appears as a normal woman trapped in the chaos. Her tagline is that she must definitely survive. "Mt. Baekdu" is slated for theatrical release sometime in December.

Written by William Schwartz

Source: CJ Entertainment

Lee Jun Pyeong, a leading resource in the North Korean Armed Forces
Jo In Chang, Republic of Korea Special Warfare Commander EOD
Their operation to stop the Mt. Baekdu explosion begins 
⠀⠀⠀
#Stop the last explosion

jic1.jpg

Source: 쉼표 @rmflrhdhsmf

Movie stills: Jo In Chang played by Ha Jung woo

EJNqzuSUwAA7e90?format=jpg&name=small

EJNqzuRUYAEY1X9?format=jpg&name=small

November 19, 2019

ASHFALL Press Conference & Production Event in Seoul

Source: CJ Entertainment // Naver news

14.jpg

EJs7-EKXYAEU5QZ?format=jpg&name=small

article.jpg

PYH2019111911740032500_P4.jpg

Ha Jung-woo, who stars in the new movie "Ashfall," poses during a showcase at a Seoul theater on Nov. 19, 2019. The disaster flick, which tells the story of a massive eruption of a volcano on Mount Paekdu in North Korea and ensuing disasters across the Korean Peninsula, will hit local screens in December. (Yonhap)

November 19, 2019

Ha Jung Woo Talks About Playing A Married Couple With Suzy In Film Despite 16-Year Age Gap

Source: Soompi by U. Kim

aa8d194c39f942df8866caf831c19e7a.jpeg

On November 19, a press conference was held for the film “Baekdusan” (literal title). Directors Lee Hae Joon and Kim Byung Seo, as well as actors Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung Woo, Jeon Hye Jin, and Suzy were present.

“Baekdusan” follows the story of people who must do their best to stop the final eruption of Mount Baekdu, which has enough force to swallow up both North and South Korea.

Ha Jung Woo plays Jo In Chang, a captain who has been brought in on the secret project that has everyone’s lives at stake, and Suzy plays his wife Choi Ji Young, who tries to survive the disaster.

Ha Jung Woo and Suzy are 16 years apart in age, regarding which Ha Jung Woo shared, “At first, when I heard that Suzy was cast [in the role], I wasn’t sure if we’d look good together because we have quite an age gap. Director Kim Yong Hwa and his wife actually have a big age gap between them, and the people around me gave me courage to enter the filming.”

He also corrected his previous statement at an interview last year where he had said that he and Suzy do not meet in any of the film’s scenes. He shared that his character and Suzy’s character come together at the beginning and end of the movie.

Suzy described her thoughts about filming her first disaster film, saying, “I felt lonely when I was alone on set and faced with the disasters, so it was easy for me to focus. I thought, ‘I’m really alone,’ and felt lonely, scared, and frightened. Also, I was nervous about working with such great senior actors, and that’s why I always had a degree of excitement and nervousness when going to the set.” She added, “I’ll be showing a side of me that’s different from what I showed in ‘Vagabond.’ In the drama, I uncovered cases as an NIS (National Intelligence Service) agent, and this time, I’ll be struggling to overcome a disaster.”

Check out the official posters for the film here!

Source (1)

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

November 19, 2019

'Ashfall' actors confident about film's eye-catching scale, storyline

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, Nov. 19 (Yonhap) -- South Korean star actor Lee Byung-hun said Tuesday that his first disaster film "Ashfall" will catch the eyes of local film buffs with its overwhelming scale and fresh storyline and characters.

"I thought I have experienced a lot of film genres in my career. But 'Ashfall' is my first disaster film," Lee said at a press conference in Seoul. "It has inherent thrill and tension from beginning to end, which is crucial for a disaster movie."

Co-directed by Lee Hae-jun and Kim Byung-seo, "Ashfall" is Lee Byung-hun's first silver screen project in almost two years since his last comedy film "Keys to the Heart." Last year, he appeared on the small screen in the period drama "Mr. Sunshine."

PYH2019111908320001300_P4.jpg

Actor Ha Jung-woo (R) speaks at a press conference on the upcoming disaster film "Ashfall" with Lee Byung-hun (L) in Seoul on Nov. 19, 2019. (Yonhap)

The new film is about a group of people who team up to stop the volcanic explosion of Mount Paekdu located at the northern tip of the Korean Peninsula. Its historic eruption that happened about a thousand years ago was so enormous and powerful that its ash even flew to Japan.

Lee plays the role of Lee Joon-pyeong, a North Korean spy agent, who has to join hands with a South Korean special forces team captained by Jo In-Chang (Ha Jung-woo) to prevent a possible volcanic eruption of the North Korean mountain.

"Ashfall" is one of the most anticipated films of 2019 for its production house, Dexter Studios, which is behind the smash hit series of "Along With the Gods," and its all-star cast including Lee, Ha and singer-turned-actress Bae Suzy.

It is the first time that the two most bankable male stars in the South Korean film industry will appear in the same film together.

For this movie, Lee, who has more than 30 movies in his filmography since his debut in 1995, learned North Korean accents and even Chinese and Russian.

"Its screenplay was so powerful that I could read it in one stretch," he said. "It's also kind of a buddy film as I act with Ha. I'm looking forward to it a lot."

Ha, who has also carved out a new career as a filmmaker with four movies, including "Fasten Your Seatbelt" and "Take Point," said "Ashfall" has something different in dealing with the disaster-torn characters.

He said in spite of the catastrophe, when all people become desperate and hopeless, the heroes of the movie are not engrossed in despair. They sometime have leeway for humor and wit and feel a deep sense of camaraderie and friendship.

"I like this movie because the characters are not monotonous," Ha said. "We don't feel sad and frustrated around the clock. The movie catches that balance between frustration and humor."

He said the on-screen chemistry between him and Lee created a synergy that maximizes the tension and friendship in the film.

On top of the two huge names, superstar Ma Dong-seok takes the important role of Kang Bong-rae, an expert on Mount Paekdu and its possible eruptions, and appears alongside the actresses Jeon Hye-jin and Bae Suzy.

"This movie doesn't focus on the survival of the characters in the tragedy, but concentrates on the stories of each person who tries to protect something valuable," Kim Byung-seo, one of the co-directors, said.

"Ashfall" will hit local screens in December.

brk@yna.co.kr

Photos: iStyle24

637097794268020000.jpg

L-R: Lee Byung Hun, Bae Suzy, Jeon Hye Jin, Ha Jung Woo, and co-directors Lee Hae Jun and Kim Byung Seo 

637097794476301250.jpg

November 19, 2019

Ha Jung Woo Shares Fun Nickname For Suzy Among Cast Members Of Their Film

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

ha-jung-woo-suzy-jun-hye-jin-xpn.jpg

At a press conference for the upcoming film “Baekdusan” (literal title) on November 19, Ha Jung Woo shared a fun nickname that the cast had for Suzy.

He said, “We call her ‘Chairman Bae.’ Despite her young age, she frequently buys us meals and drinks. The rest of us keep messing up our timing [to pay for the meal]. We decided we needed to call her chairman [the word in Korean can also mean ‘president’ or ‘CEO’], so we’re calling her that now.”

Ha Jung Woo went on to share that Jun Hye Jin’s nickname was “super ant,” a term that refers to people who are interested in the stock market. When asked about Lee Byung Hun’s nickname, Ha Jung Woo responded, “I will think about it before the next press conference. He is a very diverse character.”

“Baekdusan,” which stars Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung Woo, Ma Dong Seok, Jun Hye Jin, and Suzy, premieres in December.

Source (1)

November 20, 2019

‘Ashfall’ brings new threat to Seoul: a volcano: Disaster movie asks what people will do to protect their loved ones

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

19203601.jpg
From left, actors Lee Byung-hun, Bae Suzy, Jeon Hye-jin, Ha Jung-woo, and co-directors Lee Hae-jun and Kim Byung-seo pose for the cameras after a press conference for their upcoming film “Ashfall” at Apgujeong CGV in southern Seoul. The film is set to be released next month. [YONHAP]

A zombie apocalypse, poisonous gases and unknown viruses have all descended upon Seoul in movies over the past few years, so why not a volcanic eruption?

Over the years, directors have enjoyed bringing several “what if?” situations to the screen with the help of state-of-the-art movie technology and some of the country’s best actors.

This time, directors Kim Byung-seo and Lee Hae-jun are introducing a plausible crisis situation that hasn’t been seen in a local movie before through their upcoming film “Ashfall,” which asks the question: What if Mount Paektu, which has been dormant since 1903, erupts again?

Mount Paektu is an active volcano situated on the Chinese-North Korean border. The “Millennium Eruption,” one of the most violent eruptions in the last 5,000 years, occurred during the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) from 946 to 947. Geologists and earthquake experts say that although there is no guarantee that the volcano will erupt again anytime soon, there is always a possibility.

For the whole cast except for Ha Jung-woo - Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Hye-jin and Bae Suzy - the film was their first opportunity to work with large-scale CGI technology, but they all found that the film’s set was closer to reality than they’d imagined.

The many lifelike situations in the film were thanks to the fact that the director was able to close off the Jamsu bridge across the Han River in Seoul for the first time in local cinema history to shoot a scene. Director Lee wanted the audience to experience the disaster as vividly as possible, even though it’s on a screen.

“In order for the audiences to feel like it’s happening to them, we needed a familiar place that we see often,” said Lee Hae-jun at the press conference on Tuesday. “Naturally, those are locations where there are a lot of people. We also filmed at Gangnam station [in southern Seoul] and although the scene is less than five minutes long, we had to [have many] takes to get all the necessary scenes.”

19203702.jpg
Actors Ha Jung-woo, left, and Lee Byung-hun as agents Jo In-chang and Lee Joon-pyung in “Ashfall.” [CJ ENTERTAINMENT]

Ha, although he’s had plenty of experience working on disaster films, such as “The Terror, LIVE” (2013) and “Tunnel” (2016), said that he was again attracted to the disaster scenario because the characters’ actions and words weren’t predictable.

“Although people were going through an apocalypse, their dialogue wasn’t cliche,” said Ha, who plays the character Jo In-chang, the leader of Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD). “I mean, no matter how much of a calamity we’re in, we are not facing difficulties 24/7. So I found it freshening to find humor and sincerity in how people dealt with their predicaments.”

Spoiler

Actor Ma Dong-seok plays geology professor Robert Kang, who suggests solutions to the upcoming disaster.

While making the film, Ma explained his character as “a person who uses his brain more than his body.” Using his own sense of humor, Ma’s character brings the laughs in between moments of tension.

Meanwhile, actor Lee Byung-hun, for the first time in his 28-year career, plays a North Korean agent. His character, Lee Jun-pyung, forms an unlikely coalition with Jo to prevent the impending doom.

“But [the film] is also a buddy movie, as Lee and Jo gradually learn to collaborate with one another,” Lee Byung-hun added.

“The rapport between Jo and Lee is definitely one of the most attractive aspects of the film,” Ha agreed. “Although I have play characters in several disaster films in the past, I felt less-pressured because in ‘Ashfall’ all of us were putting our heads together to resolve the problem.”

Although the two veteran actors have appeared in many films, they have never had the chance to work together until now.

While Ha and Lee Byung-hun play characters who are on the scene, Jeon’s character is the one behind the scenes who tries to formulate a new plan with Ma as the President for Civil Affairs.

“My character, Jeon Yoo-kyung is a leader who needs to have a firm hand to make the momentary decisions for a greater cause,” said Jeon. “Rather than debating over whether or not her judgements are right or wrong, she is someone with the determination to carry out what she believes in.”

Bae, on the other hand, represents the civilians struggling to survive. Her character, Choi Ji-young, is married to Jo and attempts to survive in the midst of chaos to meet her husband.

“I was actually lonely because I spend a lot of scenes apart from everyone else,” Bae said. “So in the rare moments where I was filming with the other actors, I was really energized.”

“The film itself was a new challenge for us because there never has been a local movie about volcano eruption,” said director Lee. “The story will offer a new spectacles that audiences haven’t seen before.”

“It’s about how the people stand up against the face of casualty to protect their loved ones” added Kim.

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

November 30, 2019

November Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

Spoiler

November Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for film actors!

The rankings were determined through an analysis of the consumer participation, media coverage, interaction, and community awareness indexes of 50 popular movie stars, using big data collected from October 29 to November 30.

Lee Young Ae, the star of the new crime thriller “Bring Me Home,” topped this month’s list with a brand reputation index of 8,046,382. High-ranking phrases in the actress’s keyword analysis included “Bring Me Home,” “age,” and “mom,” while her highest-ranking related terms included “return” and “appear.”

Gong Yoo took second place in the rankings with a brand reputation index of 5,276,458, while Kim Eung Soo followed in third place with a total index of 4,502,991.

Actress Gong Hyo Jin came in at a close fourth with a brand reputation index of 4,309,452, while Lee Jung Jae rounded out the top five with a score of 4,302,448 for November.

Check out this month’s top 30 below!

1. Lee Young Ae
2. Gong Yoo
3. Kim Eung Soo
4. Gong Hyo Jin
5. Lee Jung Jae
6. Jo Yeo Jeong
7. Honey Lee
8. Kwon Sang Woo
9. Lee Byung Hun
10. Ma Dong Seok
11. Jo Jin Woong
12. Moon So Ri
13. Ha Jung Woo
14. Kim Hye Soo
15. Yoo Jae Myung
16. Heo Sung Tae
17. Oh Jung Se
18. Park Seo Joon
19. Moon Geun Young
20. Hyun Bin
21. Yoon Kye Sang
22. Jeon Hye Jin
23. Kim Hee Ae
24. Lee Sun Gyun
25. Jang Hyuk
26. Son Ye Jin
27. Ryu Jun Yeol
28. Jang Dong Gun
29. Kim Hee Won
30. Kim Nam Gil

Source (1)

• 2 months later...

DISPATCH EXCLUSIVE

2020. 01. 29. 8:05 AM

Ha Jung Woo promises to reveal "horror movie master" aspect of "The Closet"

D81775B9-EC04-4969-A625-90CC608903C6.jpg

Actor Ha Jung Woo will challenge himself with a mysterious and horror movie. This time, the actor will take on the role of a father who is desperate for losing his child. He will bring a fierce battle with a suspicious character inside a closet.

Ha Jung Woo attended the media preview screening of the movie "The Closet" (Director Kim Kwang Bin) which took place at CGV I'Park Mall, Yongsan on January 29. In addition to Ha Jung Woo, actor Kim Nam Gil, director Kim Kwang Bin was also present at the event.

"The Closet" is a movie whose content revolves around the disappearance of the protagonist's daughter when the wall cabinet is opened. In the movie, Ha Jung Woo takes on the role of a father named Sang Won, while Yi Na, the daughter character, is played by child actress Heo Yool. The film also features the transformation of Kim Nam Gil into a mysterious man named Kyung Hoon.

Spoiler

4858AD15-BEDF-4D22-9319-7CBF27D434D1.jpg

Ha Jung Woo will show dramatic, emotional acting. At the beginning of the movie, the character focuses on the job rather than the family. After his daughter went missing, he has completely changed. Ha Jung Woo has displayed a variety of emotions contributing to the appeal of the film such as confusion, pain, stress, etc.

For example, in the scene of the conversation about his daughter between him and Kim Nam Gil where Ha Jung Woo noticed the mysterious existence inside the wall cabinet and recalled his daughter's pain. He realized his mistake and felt extreme remorse. The actor expressed deep regret only by his ecstatic gaze.

Ha Jung Woo shared, "This is the hardest part of this work. I can foresee the mentality of parents who lose their children, But it is not easy to express as I haven't experienced this yet."

The actor said he asked for advice from people around him. The actor shared, "My acquaintances all said, 'Children are as valuable as life, nothing can replace them.' I have focused on fully conveying that heart."

This is not the end. Ha Jung Woo has re-analyzed the work and the characters. This time, he focused on the relationship among the characters rather than the role. He carefully considered the relationship between Sang Won and Yi Na or the story about the mother and the daughter of Kyung Hoon.

The actor also received help from real family stories. He explained, "I think that everyone suffered when being a child. I talked to Kim Nam Gil about his parents. In addition, I also asked director Kim about the relationship between him and his parents."

Naturally, he also looked back at his image and said, "I thought about my parents as well as myself. I tried to understand the feelings of the characters in the movie through each person's experience and situation. I shared my feelings with the characters."

02190E03-D9F2-4D7D-8D01-E3C418207592.jpg

Viewer

Prev

Is this because they have talked a lot? Ha Jung Woo and Kim Nam Gil completely match each other. Both were free to act in horror actions and scenes. Even the funny dialogue in the movie is also described by the duo smoothly.

Ha Jung Woo smiled and said, "We are both lively. I think if we encounter a bright genre, we can definitely bring more excitement. Because we have to moderate funny elements in this movie, so it's pretty hard for us."

Kim Nam Gil was extremely satisfied with the chemistry with Ha Jung Woo. He shared, "Ha Jung Woo is an actor with the ability to act and cover the whole. Our collaboration is great. I have received much help from Ha Jung Woo during the process of building my character."

Director Kim praised Ha Jung Woo's effort. He expressed his satisfaction, "In the movie, I want Sang Won to be aware of the family. I told Ha Jung Woo the parts I want to convey. Ha Jung Woo nailed those parts with his delicate acting."

Finally, Ha Jung Woo caught the attention of the audience by revealing, "The scene that is dark and unclear about anything when opening the door of the closet is the most serious and thrilling scene. If audiences also watch the film in the dark without paying attention to the genre, they will feel more interesting."

"The Closet" will be premiered on February 5.

66020593-CEEA-49B2-9182-3A6F0D0B4495.jpg

Dispatch = Reporter Goo Min Ji
Photo = Reporter Min Kyung Bin
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

Prev

View

Prev

• Like 1

THE SCREEN 2019-12-31

2009-2019 K-Movie Actor Box Office Power Top 50

Source:  Calculation | 1 | 2-10 | 11-20 | 41-50

1. “Korean Movie Actor Box-Office Power 50” special feature:  data from 2009 to 2019 in <The Screen>
2. Box-office performance (nationwide audience admission) of 50 most popular Korean films by year among films released (in Korean theaters) from January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2019. 

3. Box-office Score: Based on percentage & weight (not sum of audience numbers)

- main vs supporting roles: supporting actors (multiplied by a weight of 0.5)
- “ensemble movie” (multiplied by a weight of 0.5 on lead actor)

RANK / ACTOR / POINTS
1.  Ha Jung-woo - 112.312
Works: <Madeleine>(2002) <She's on Duty>(2005) <The Unforgiven>(2005) <TIME>(2006) <The Fox Family>(2006) <Breath>(2007) <Never Forever>(2007) <The Chaser>(2008) <The Moonlight of Seoul>(2008) <My Dear Enemy>(2008) <Like You Know It All>(2009) <Boat>(2009) <Take Off>(2009) <The Yellow Sea>(2010) <The Client>(2011) <Nameless Gangster : Rules of Time>(2012) <Love Fiction>(2012) <Project 577>(2012) <The Berlin File>(2013) <The Terror Live>(2013) <KUNDO: Age of the Rampant>(2014) <Chronicle of a Blood Merchant>(2015) <Assassination>(2015) <The Handmaiden>(2016), <Tunnel>(2016), <Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds>(2017) <1987: When the Day Comes>(2017) <Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days>(2018), <Take Point>(2018) <Ashfall>(2019)

D9799206-63D7-4AD4-A450-6246D80F5DAC.jpg

Spoiler

035B9A21-E6D9-43D2-AA25-A007BD7E7AB5.jpg
2. Hwang Jung-min - 96.440
Works: <Waikiki Brothers>(2001) <Road Movie>(2002) <A Good Lawyer's Wife>(2003) <This Charming Girl>(2004) <You’re My Sunshine!>(2005) <Bloody Tie>(2006) <Black House>(2007) <Private Eye>(2009) <The Unjust>(2010) <New World>(2012) <Man in Love>(2013) <Ode to My Father>(2014) <Veteran>(2015) <A Violent Prosecutor>(2015) <THE WAILING>(2016) <Asura : The City of Madness>(2016) <The Battleship Island>(2017) <The Spy Gone North>(2018)

3. Song Kang-ho - 87.937
Works:  <The day a pig fell into the well>(1996) <Green Fish>(1997) <No. 3>(1997) <The Quiet Family>(1998) <Shiri>(1999) <The Foul King>(2000) <JSA>(2000) <Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance>(2002) <YMCA Baseball Team>(2002) <Memories of Murder>(2003) <The President’s Barber>(2004) <ANTARCTIC JOURNAL>(2005) <The Host>(2006) <The Show Must Go On>(2007) <Secret Sunshine>(2007) <The Good, The Bad, The Weird>(2008) <Thirst>(2009), <Secret Reunion>(2010) <Hindsight>(2011) <HOWLING>(2012) <Snowpiercer>(2013) <The Face Reader>(2013) <The Attorney>(2013) <The Throne>(2014) <The Age of Shadows>(2016) <A Taxi Driver>(2017) <THE DRUG KING>(2018) <PARASITE>(2019) <THE KING’S LETTERS>(2019)

4. Ryu Seung-ryong- 76.863

Works: <Righteous Ties>(2006), <Possessed>(2009), <Secret>(2009) <The Quiz Show Scandal>(2010) <The Recipe>(2010) <Battlefield Heroes>(2011) <Children...>(2011) <The Front Line>(2011) <War of the Arrows>(2011) <All About My Wife>(2012) <Masquerade>(2012) <Miracle in Cell No.7>(2013) <The Target>(2014) <Roaring Currents>(2014> <The Piper>(2015) <The Sound of a Flower>(2015) <Psychokinesis>(2018) <Seven Years Night>(2018) <Extreme Job>(2019)

5. Yoo Hae-jin - 72.096

Works: <Kick the Moon>(2001) <Musa>(2001) <Public Enemy>(2002) <Break Out>(2002) <Jail Breakers>(2002) <The Coast Guard>(2002) <Ice Rain>(2003) <Hi, Dharma 2 : Showdown in Seoul>(2004) <Blood Rain>(2005) <The King and the Clown>(2005) <South of the Border> (2006) <Tazza>(2006) <Small Town Rivals>(2007) <Mission Possible: Kidnapping Granny K>(2007) <Truck>(2007) <Public Enemy Returns>(2008) <Woochi>(2009) <Moss>(2010) <Desire to Kill>(2010) <The Unjust>(2010) <In Love And the War>(2011) <Mama>(2011) <Miss Conspirator>(2012) <The Spies>(2012) <The Flu>(2013) <Minority Opinion>(2013) <Obsessed>(2014) <The Pirates>(2014) <Tazza-The Hidden Card>(2014) <The Classified File>(2015) <Veteran>(2015) <FATAL INTUITION>(2015) <LUCK-KEY>(2016) <Confidential Assignment>(2017> <A Taxi Driver>(2017) <1987: When the Day Comes>(2017) <LOVE+SLING>(2018) <Intimate Strangers>(2018) <MAL·MO·E: The Secret Mission>(2019) <The Battle: Roar to Victory>(2019)

6. Lee Jung-jae - 68.869
Works: <An Affair>(1998) <City of the Rising Sun>(1999) <Il Mare>(2000) <Last Present>(2001) <The Last Witness>(2001) <Oh! Brothers>(2003) <Typhoon>(2005) <The Housemaid>(2010) <The Thieves>(2012) <New World>(2013) <The Face Reader>(2013) <Big Match>(2014) <Assassination>(2015) <Operation Chromite>(2016) <WARRIORS OF THE DAWN>(2017) <Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds>(2017) <Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days>(2018) <Svaha: The Sixth Finger>(2019)
7. Oh Dal-soo - 62.542 
Works: <Old Boy>(2003) <The Wolf Returns>(2004) <The President’s Barber>(2004) <Sympathy for Lady Vengeance>(2005) <Forbidden Quest>(2006) <A Bloody Aria>(2006) <Three Fellas>(2006) <Once in a Summer>(2006) <The Show Must Go On>(2007) <The Good, The Bad, The Weird>(2008) <Private Eye>(2009) <Thirst>(2009) <The Servant>(2010) <Troubleshooter>(2010) <Foxy Festival>(2010) <Detective K : Secret of Virtuous Widow>(2011) <Hindsight>(2011) <The Thieves>(2012) <Miracle in Cell No.7>(2012) <My Paparotti>(2012) <The Attorney>(2013) <Ode to My Father>(2014) <Detective K: Secret of the Lost Island>(2014) <Assassination>(2015) <Veteran>(2015) <Tunnel>(2016) <RUN OFF>(2016) <Master>(2016) <MEMOIR OF A MURDERER>(2016) <Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds>(2017) <Detective K: Secret of the Living Dead>(2017)
8. Kim Yoon-seok - 62.532

Works: <The Big Swindle>(2004) <Tazza>(2007) <The Chaser>(2008) <Running Turtle>(2009) <Woochi>(2009) <The Yellow Sea>(2010) <Punch>(2011) <The Thieves>(2012) <Tazza-The Hidden Card>(2014) <The Classified File>(2015) <The Priests>(2015) <1987: When the Day Comes>(2017) <Dark Figure of Crime>(2018)
9. Kang Dong-won - 58.922

Works: <Don't Believe Her>(2004) <Romance of Their Own>(2004) <Duelist>(2005) <Maundy Thursday>(2006) <M>(2007) <Woochi>(2009) <Secret Reunion>(2010) <Haunters>(2010) <KUNDO: Age of the Rampant>(2014) <My Brilliant Life>(2014) <The Priests>(2015) <A Violent Prosecutor>(2016) <Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned>(2016) <Master>(2016) <1987: When the Day Comes>(2017) <Golden Slumber>(2018) <ILLANG : THE WOLF BRIGADE>(2018)

10. Ma Dong-seok - 52.028
Works: <The Moonlight of Seoul>(2007) <The Good, The Bad, The Weird>(2008) <The Unjust>(2010) <Quick>(2011) <Nameless Gangster : Rules of the Time>(2011) <The Neighbor>(2012) <KUNDO: Age of the Rampant>(2014) <GOODBYE SINGLE>(2016) <THE OUTLAWS>(2017) <Champion>(2018) <Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days>(2018) <The Villagers>(2018) <Unstoppable>(2018) <The Gangster, The Cop, The Devi>(2019) <THE BAD GUYS: REIGN OF CHAOS>(2019) <START-UP>(2019) <Ashfall>(2019)

11. Lee Byung-hun - 50.437
Works: <The Harmonium in My Memory>(1999) <JSA>(2000) <Bungee Jumping of Their Own>(2001) <Addicted>(2002) <Everybody has Secrets>(2004) <Three, Monster>(2004) <A Bittersweet Life>(2005) <Once in a Summer>(2006) <The Good, The Bad, The Weird>(2008) <I Saw the Devil>(2010) <Masquerade>(2012) <Memories of the Sword>(2015) <Inside Men>(2015) <Master>(2016) <A Single Rider>(2017) <The Fortress>(2017) <Keys to the Heart>(2018) <Ashfall>(2019)

12. Seol Kyung-gu - 45.328
Works: <Peppermint Candy>(2000) <Public Enemy>(2002) <Oasis>(2002) <Jail Breaker>(2002) <Silmido>(2003) <Cruel Winter Blues>(2006) <Voice of a Murderer>(2007) <Public Enemy Returns>(2008) <Haeundae>(2009) <Troubleshooter>(2010) <Cold Eyes>(2013) <The Spy>(2013) <Hope>(2013) <The Merciless>(2017) <MEMOIR OF A MURDERER>(2017) <Idol>(2019) <Birthday>(2019) <Man of Men>(2019)
13. Joo Ji-hoon - 43.538
Works: <Antique>(2008) <Kitchen>(2009) <I am the King>(2012) <A Night Before the Wedding>(2013) <Confession>(2014) <The Treacherous>(2015) <Asura : The City of Madness>(2016) <Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds>(2017) <Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days>(2018) <The Spy Gone North>(2018) <Dark Figure of Crime>(2018)
14. Choi Min-shik - 38.089
Works: <No. 3>(1997) <The Quiet Family>(1998) <Shiri>(1999) <Happy End>(1999) <Failan>(2001) <Chihwaseon>(2002) <Old Boy>(2003) <Crying Fist>(2005) <Sympathy for Lady Vengeance>(2005) <I Saw the Devil>(2010) <Nameless Gangster : Rules of the Time>(2012) <New World>(2013) <Roaring Currents>(2014) <The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale:>(2015) <The Mayor>(2017) <Heart Blackened>(2017) <Forbidden Dream>(2019)
15. Jo Jin-woong - 35.936
Works: <GLOVE>(2011), <The Front Line>(2011), <Perfect Game>(2011), <Nameless Gangster : Rules of Time>(2012), <My Paparotti>(2013), <Hwayi: A Monster Boy>(2013), <A Hard Day>(2014), <KUNDO: Age of the Rampant>(2014), <Roaring Currents>(2014), <We are Brothers>(2014), <Salut D’Amour>(2015), <Assassination>(2015), <Handmaiden>(2016), <The Hunt>(2016), <The Sheriff in Town>(2017), <Bluebeard>(2017), <MAN OF WILL>(2017), <Believer>(2018), <The Spy Gone North>(2018), <Intimate Strangers>(2018), <Man of Men>(2019), <Jesters: The Game Changers>(2019), <BLACK MONEY>(2019)
16. Yoo Ah-in - 35.735
Works: <Boys of Tomorrow>(2007) <Skeletons in the Closet>(2007) <Punch>(2011) <Tough as Iron>(2013) <Thread of Lies>(2014) <Veteran>(2015) <The Throne>(2015) <Burning>(2018) <Default>(2018)
17. Gong Yoo - 35.418

Works: <A Spy Girl>(2004) <S Diary>(2004) <She's on Duty>(2005) <Finding Mr.Destiny>(2010) <Silenced>(2011) <The Suspect>(2013) <A Man and A Woman>(2016) <Train to Busan>(2016) <The Age of Shadows>(2016) <KIM JI-YOUNG, BORN 1982>(2019)

18. Kim Hyang-gi - 34.879
Works: <Heart is…>(2006) <Private Eye>(2009) <Wedding Dress>(2010) <The Grand Heist>(2012) <A Werewolf Boy>(2012) <Thread of Lies>(2014) <Snowy Road>(2015) <Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds>(2017) <Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days>(2018) <Young-ju>(2018) <Innocent Witness>(2019)
19. Son Ye-jin - 33.867
Works: <Lover’s Concerto>(2002) <Classic>(2003) <Crazy First Love>(2003) <A Moment to Remember>(2004) <April Snow>(2005) <The Art of Seduction>(2005) <Open City>(2008) <My Wife Got Married>(2008) <White Night>(2009) <Spellbound>(2011) <Tower>(2012) <Blood and Ties>(2103) <The Pirates>(2014) <The Truth Beneath>(2016) <The Last Princess>(2016) <Be with You>(2018) <The Negotiation>(2018)
20. Cha Tae-hyun- 33.645
Works: <My Sassy Girl>(2001) <Lover’s Concerto>(2002) <Crazy First Love>(2003) <Sad Movie>(2005) <Highway Star>(2007)<Babo>(2008) <Scandal Makers>(2008) <Hello Ghost>(2010) <The Grand Heist>(2012) <Slow Video>(2014) <Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds>(2017)

21. Park Hae-il 
22. Jeon Ji-hyun
23. Kim Myung-min
24. Jo Jung-suk
25. Uhm Jung-hwa
26. Kim Hye-soo
27. Jung Woo-sung
28. Ryu Jun-yeol
29. Shim Eun-kyung
30. Lee Ha-nee 
31. Kwak Do-won
32. Lee Sun-kyun 
33. Ha Ji-won
34. Kim Yunjin 
35. Ryu Seung-bum
36. Han Hyo-joo 
37. Hyun Bin
38. Sung Dong-il 
39. Lee Dong-hwi 
40. Park Bo-young 
41. Kim Dong-wook - 20.060
42. Choi Woo-shik - 20.030
43. Cho Yeo-jung - 19.592
44. Jin Seon-kyu - 19.166
45. Kim Nam-gil - 19.107
46. Kim Mu-yeol - 18.904
47. Gong Myung - 18.706
48. Jung Jae-young - 18.530
49. Jung Yu-mi - 18.285
50. Kang Ha-neul- 17.434

26DF51ED-B573-4ADC-8641-7BE3FE23B324.jpg

THE SCREEN 2009-2019 K-Movie Actor Box Office Power Top 10

1. Ha Jung-woo - 109,904,121
2. Hwang Jung-min - 96,440,132
3. Song Kang-ho - 87,937,537
4. Ryu Seung-ryong- 76,863,026
5. Yoo Hae-jin - 72,096,870
6. Lee Jung-jae - 68,869,381
7. Oh Dal-soo - 62,542,095
8. Kim Yoon-seok - 62,532,565
9. Kang Dong-won - 58,922,506
10. Ma Dong-seok - 49,890,963

NOTE: this article’s about movies released in the summer only, therefore, director Bong Joon-ho’s ‘The Host’ (July 27, 2006) was mentioned as the 1st movie to attract 10 million moviegoers.  Overall, the 1st movie to sell more than 10 million tickets in South Korea was director Kang Woo-suk’s ‘Silmido’ (led by Seol Kyung-gu; released on December 24, 2003), followed by director Kang Je-gyu’s ‘Taegukgi’ (Jang Dong-gun, Won Bin; Feb 6, 2004), director Lee Joon-ik’s ‘The King and the Clown’ (Gam Woo-sung, Jung Jin-young, Lee Joon-gi; Dec 29, 2005).

-
https://zapzee.net/2020/08/23/pick-summer-box-office-issues-over-the-years/
[PICK] Summer Box Office Issues Over the Years

by krishkim | Edited by Hwang Hong Sun | Translated by Kim Hoyeun

0E4F1B98-4D75-437E-B2E6-4A399B57DAD8.jpg

2006 – First Movie to Attract 10 Million Moviegoers

Spoiler

81EECC3B-923D-483E-9285-5A948F94DB43.jpg

The Host | Credit: SHOWBOX

The first movie to draw 10 million moviegoers came out. It’s The Host, in which director Bong Joon Ho and actor Song Kang Ho joined hands again after Memories of Murder. As it received positive reviews at the Cannes Film Festival, it successfully attracted audiences as expected and topped the box office in the summer and became the number one box office hit in 2016.

2007 – Debate over ‘D-War’

Spoiler

660232EF-69DF-463C-8C82-FB76E6B48E5D.jpg

D-War | Credit: SHOWBOX

The summer of 2007 was hot with controversy. Director Shim Hyung Rae’s D-War sparked controversy over patriotism marketing and its disappointing level of completion. Despite negative issues, the movie topped the summer box office and the 2008 box office.

2009 – Double Box Office Hits

Spoiler

5BE11CFC-C978-4CF5-92DC-6D1C2308EA81.jpg

Haeundae | Credit: CJ Entertainment

Haeundae (director: Yoon Je-kyun; cast: Seol Kyung-gu, Ha Ji-won, Park Joong-hoon, Uhm Jung-hwa) and Take Off (director: Kim Yong-hwa; cast: Ha Jung-woo, Kim Dong-wook, Kim Ji-seok), which caused concerns at first, turned the game around and became box office hits. Even before its release, Haeundae has been rumored to be pretty bad, but it became the second movie to attract 10 million moviegoers during the summer season since The Host. Take Off, which started a bit rocky, eventually drew 8.48 moviegoers, drawing attention.

2011 – Unexpected Failure and Success

Spoiler

61F9429E-D474-4E3B-8413-A6EC646420EA.jpg

War of the Arrows | Credit: Lotte Entertainment

In the summer of 2011, the box office failure of Sector 7 (director: Kim Ji-hoon; cast: Ha Ji-won) and the surprising success of War of the Arrows (director: Kim Han-min; cast: Park Hae-il) stood out. Though it was expected to receive great results, Sector 7 became a box-office flop with its mediocre results. Rather, relatively less-interested War of the Arrows received favorable reviews, becoming a box office hit that summer.

2012 – ‘The Thieves’ Beat Out Superheroes

Spoiler

20AEDAA3-3949-41A8-95FA-584D9EF92E5F.jpg

The Thieves | Credit: SHOWBOX

The Thieves (director: Choi Dong-hoon; cast: Kim Yoon-seok, Kim Hye-soo, Lee Jung-jae, Jeon Ji-hyun), which boasts its luxurious cast, beat out The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises and became the number one box office hit that summer. In addition, Cha Tae Hyun’s comedy film The Grand Heist and Korean-style disaster film Deranged received solid results.

2013 – Win-Win for Both David and Goliath

14AC8CAA-66A2-43EE-9E46-618B0AE65659.jpg

The Terror Live | Credit: Lotte Entertainment

Director Bong Joon Ho’s global project Snowpiercer, which had a budget of 40 billion KRW (about 33,564,228 USD), and Ha Jung Woo’s The Terror Live (director: Kim Byung-woo), which only had a budget of 4 billion KRW (about 3,356,422 USD), were released with just one day apart, and drew 9.34 million and 5.58 million moviegoers, respectively. No one would have expected that The Terror Live would perform so well against Snowpiercer.

2014 – All-Time Box Office Hit

Spoiler

3EB7DB2A-2009-4E67-A939-65EDEC500998.jpg

Roaring Currents | Credit: CJ Entertainment

The battle over the 2014 summer box office was fierce. From SHOWBOX’s KUNDO: Age of the Rampant (Yoon Jong-bin), to CJ’s Roaring Currents (Kim Han-min), Lotte’s The Pirates (Lee Seok-hoon), and NEW’s Haemoo (Shim Sung-bo), the top four Korean film distributors released their best works side by side. The final winner was Roaring Currents, which became the new number one Korean box office hit movie. Even till now, it maintains its top spot of 17.61 moviegoers.

2015 – Triple 10 Million Movies

Spoiler

6FEE07CE-AD92-4A59-906F-6EDFB8311C6D.jpg

Veteran | Credit: CJ Entertainment

In the summer of 2015 alone, not one but three movies attracted 10 million moviegoers. Assassination (director: Choi Dong-hoon; cast: Jeon Ji-hyun, Lee Jung-jae, Ha Jung-woo) and Veteran (director: Ryu Seung-wan; Hwang Jung-min, Yoo ah-in), which was released with a week interval, both attracted 10 million moviegoers. In particular, Assassination director Choi Dong Hoon drew much attention as he made back-to-back hits following The Thieves. Meanwhile, Avengers: Age of Ultron became the first foreign film to garner 10 million moviegoers in the summer season.

2016 – Big Four Show Great Results

Spoiler

5E35103A-5FDE-4BA0-AB13-AE00AEAA89BA.jpg

Train to Busan | Credit: NEW

In the summer of 2016, all four major distributors unveiled their movies side by side once again. Each of NEW’s Train to Busan (director: Yeon Sang-ho; admission: 11,567,341), CJ’s Operation Chromite (director: John H. Lee; cast: Lee Jung-Jae; admission: 7,050,475), SHOWBOX’s Tunnel (director: Kim Sung-hoon; cast: Ha Jung-woo; admission: 7,120,508), and Lotte’s The Last Princess (director: Hur Jin-ho; admission: 5,599,655) presented their unique subjects and genre, receiving excellent reviews.

2017 – Controversy over Monopolistic Structure

Spoiler

43E34DE9-3B38-4E15-8B23-4B813FD12D4F.jpg

A Taxi Driver | Credit: SHOWBOX

Director Ryu Seung Wan’s The Battleship Island, which drew much attention from the production stage, failed to break the break-even point (6.6 million moviegoers) due to the spread of negative issues, including patriotism marketing, poor historical research, and controversy over its monopolistic system. On the other hand, A Taxi Driver (director: Jang Hoon; cast: Song Kang-ho), based on a touching true story, steadily gained popularity and became a 10 million movie, while Midnight Runners, starring Park Seo Joon and Kang Ha Neul, received solid results.

2018 – First Movie Series to Attract 10 Million Moviegoers

Spoiler

B9529B2A-7280-4EE1-AE0B-AF6244387AF8.jpg

Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days | Credit: Lotte Entertainment

In the summer of 2018, Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days, the sequel to Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds, was released in about eight months since the prequel was released, and attracted 12.27 million moviegoers. With this, Along with the Gods series (Kim Yong-hwa) became the first Korean movie series to draw 10 million moviegoers with both its movies. On the other hand, Illang: The Wolf Brigade (Kim Jee-woon), a live-action Japanese animation of the same name, failed to exceed 1 million moviegoers amid harsh reviews.

• 4 weeks later...

https://zapzee.net/2020/09/14/pick-actors-who-received-their-first-recognition-at-the-busan-international-film-festival/
[PICK] Actors Who Received Their First Recognition at the Busan International Film Festival

by krishkim | Edited by Hwang Hong Sun | Translated by Kim Hoyeun

The Busan International Film Festival, which heats Busan up every fall, is the largest in Korea. From films that drew attention at Sundance, Cannes, and Venice film festivals to new Asian movies, various works will meet with the audiences. Many directors and actors received their first recognition at the Busan International Film Festival over the years, and this article will introduce some of these actors who were noted for their potential.

The Unforgiven – Ha Jung Woo

ED68B85D-F8A7-42BB-A1F7-43C80DB6D0CD.jpg
Credit: Chungeoram

The Unforgiven was the hottest topic in the 2005 Busan International Film Festival. This was director Yoon Jong Bin’s debut film, and Ha Jung Woo realistically portrayed Tae Jung, a sergeant near the end of his army service, drawing keen attention. Since then, the two showed off their loyalty to each other by joining hands for 3 more films, The Moonlight Of Seoul, Nameless Gangster: Rules of Time, and KUNDO: Age of the Rampant. Ha also planned on starring in Yoon’s first drama Suriname, but the production was postponed indefinitely due to COVID-19.

[editing 1st post]

2010 ‘Parallel Life 평행이론’ as Jang Soo-young 장수영 {cameo} [937,029]

2009 ‘Take Off 국가대표’ as Bob 밥 / Cha Heon-tae 차헌태 [8,487,894] // Kim Yong-hwa

2009 ‘Boat 보트’ as Hyung-gu 형구 [13,904]

2009 ’Like You Know It All 잘 알지도 못하면서’ as Jo-ssi 조씨 {supporting} [39,914] // Hong Sang-soo

2008 ’My Dear Enemy 멋진 하루’ as Jo Byung-woon 조병운 [397,669 (k)] // Lee Yoon-ki 

2008 ‘Our School’s E.T. 울학교 이티’ as handsome doctor {cameo}

2008 ’Beastie Boys 비스티 보이즈’ as Yoo Jae-hyun 유재현 [727,409] // Yoon Jong-bin 

2008 ‘The Chaser 추격자’ as Je Young-min 지영민 [5,071,619] // Na Hong-jin 

2006 ’The Fox Family 구미호 가족’ as son [202,990]

2006 ‘Time 시간’ as Ji-woo 지우 [28,414] // Kim Ki-duk

2007 MBC ’H.I.T 히트’ as Kim Jae-yoon 김재윤

2005 SBS ‘Lovers in Prague 프라하의 연인’ as Ahn Dong-nam 안동남 {supporting}

* REVIEWS * 
The Berlin File: KyuHyunKim
Kundo: Herald | PierceConran | Variety
Take Off: Mr X

Along with Gods 2 interviews: kofic
The Berlin File interviews : kofic-ActionCoordinator | 
Take Point interviews : kofic-KimByungWoo | kofic-KimByungWoo(2)
The Terror Live interviews: kofic-KimByungWoo
Tunnel interviews: kofic-ProductionDesigner

* NEWS *

[2020-05-21] Hackers blackmailing JooJinMo/HaJungWoo admits allegations 

[2020-04-21] Ha Jung Woo Played a Big Role in Catching the Hackers
[2020-04-13] Actor Ha Jung Woo claims injustice in phone hacking case 
[2020-04-02] ‘Suriname’ Has Indefinitely Postponed Its Production

[2020-03-24] Coronavirus pandemic halts overseas shoots of K-movies
[2020-03-20] ’The Kidnapping’ Delays Its Filming Schedules (COVID-19)
[2020-02-19] Ha Jung Woo Denies The Allegation of Illegal Propofol Use
[2020-02-19] HaJungWoo's friends trust him after drug use suspicion

[2020-02-19] Actor Ha Jung Woo is suspected of using propofol
[2020-01-16] Ha Jung Woo returns to small screen after 13 years
[2020-01-06] Ha Jung-woo, Kim Nam-gil team up for mystery 'Closet'
[2020-01-02] Ha Jung-woo to make horror debut with ‘The Closet’ 

[2019-12-27] Making another great escape

[2019-12-19] [Review] Korea finally has quality disaster film in ‘Ashfall’
[2019-12-23] Ha Jung-woo faces 'unprecedented mission' in movie
[2019-12-23] Ha Jung-woo multitasks as actor, producer in 'Ashfall' 

[2019-12-20] Ha Jung Woo discloses details involving "Ashfall" 

[2019-11-19] ’Ashfall' actors confident about film's scale, storyline
[2019-11-10] A preview of Korea’s 2020 film scene
[2019-05-06] Actor Ha Jung-woo to hold solo art exhibition 
[2019-01-10] From A to Z about Hallyu star Ha Jung Woo 

[2019-01-07] Interview: KIM Byung-woo, Director of TAKE POINT
[2018-11-21] Ha Jung-woo reunites with 'Terror, LIVE' director
[2018-11-21] Ha Jung-woo goes underground for latest film 
[2018-08-21] Interview: HA Jung-woo of ALONG WITH THE GODS: THE LAST 49 DAYS
[2018-08-11] Ha Jung-woo - 4th Actor to Draw 100 Million Moviegoers
[2018-08-02] Ha Jung-woo: Happy to Be Part of Film-making

[2018-07-31] [INTERVIEW] How 'Along with Gods' captivated Asian fans
[2018-04-03] Interview: HaJungWoo @16th FlorenceKoreanFilmFestival 

[2018-03-26] Ha Jung-woo becomes honorary citizen of Florence
[2017-12-20] Ha Jung-woo Competes w/ Himself at Year-End BoxOffice
[2017-12-20] Ha Jung-woo talks about tackling first fantasy role 

[2017-12-11] Ha Jung Woo Picks Favorite Male And Female Co-Stars

[2017-02-16] Ha Jung-woo debuts as producer in ‘Single Rider’

[2016-07-07] Script depicting importance of human life resonates with actor Ha Jung-woo
[2016-06-24] Ha Jung-woo to make cameo in ‘Entourage’
[2015-07-22] Ha Jung-woo brings romance to dark era in ‘Assassination’ 

[2015-03-04] Ha Jung-woo hits ‘PAUSE’ for first LA art exhibition
[2015-01-29] Ha Jung-woo shows art in L.A. 

[2014-06-21] Ha Jung-woo calls Kang Dong-won a ‘macho’
[2014-03-19] Ha Jung-woo wins in Osaka

[2013-12-18] Ha Jung-woo Group Interview
[2011-08-31] Ha Jung-woo confident about Korean-style legal thriller

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://zapzee.net/2020/11/18/ha-jung-woo-and-hwang-jung-mins-suriname-confirmed-to-be-released-on-netflix/

Ha Jung Woo and Hwang Jung Min’s ‘Suriname’ Confirmed to Be Released on Netflix

by krishkim

92012607-92A0-4A45-91C2-9913182E3F40.jpg

Credit: Starnews

Director Yoon Jong Bin’s new project Suriname, which was postponed indefinitely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, has begun its preparations with a goal to start filming next year.

According to a media outlet, Suriname is currently working on completing its cast lineup and pre-production stage in order to start shooting in March and April next year.  Suriname is a new project by The Spy Gone North director Yoon Jong Bin. It will be based on the true story of a Korean man who became a drug lord in Suriname, a country in South America.

Ha Jung Woo worked with director Yoon in various works, including The Unforgiven, The Moonlight Of Seoul, Nameless Gangster: Rules of Time and KUNDO: Age of the Rampant. Hwang Jung Min worked with Yoon for the film The Spy Gone North.

Suriname is a project that CJ ENM participated in planning and is known to have a budget of 40 billion KRW (about 36.2 million USD). It was initially planned as a 10-part series but was finalized as a six-part series and will be released on Netflix.

Suriname was originally planned to be filmed in the Dominican Republic at the end of this year, but all scheduled were halted due to the spread of COVID-19 pandemic. The series eventually disbanded its staff in April and postponed production indefinitely. However, Suriname recently decided to build a set in Korea and film 80% of the series and shoot the rest in Southeast Asia instead of Latin America.

Yet, Ha Jung Woo will have to coordinate schedules between Suriname and Kidnapped (literal title), which was also postponed due to the COVID-19. Director Kim Sung Hoon, who will be leading Kidnapped, is currently filming Netflix’s Kingdom: Ashin of the North with his crew.

Source (1)

• Like 1

https://zapzee.net/2020/11/20/ha-jung-woo-has-been-cast-to-become-a-detective-in-new-mystery-thriller-film/

Ha Jung Woo Has Been Cast to Become a Detective in New Mystery Thriller Film

by krishkim

D8F721FF-21DC-467F-886E-67A76018DF87.jpg

Credit: Lotte Entertainment

Ha Jung Woo will star in Kakao M film Night Trip (literal title).

An official from Ha Jung Woo’s agency WALKHOUSE Company said, “Ha Jung Woo recently confirmed his appearance on the film Night Trip and is discussing details.” No schedule has been confirmed.

Night Trip is a mystery thriller about what happens when a detective finds out that the case he is in charge of strangely resembles the book his best-seller wife wrote. Ha Jung Woo will play the detective who tracks down the truth behind the case.

The Shepherd director Kim Jin Hwang will be directing the film and SANAI Pictures, which produced New World, Asura: The City of Madness and The Spy Gone North, will be in charge of production. The movie will be released as a digital platform, but it is also reportedly considering a theater release.

Ha Jung Woo will start filming Night Tripin January next year and later promote his new films Suriname (literal title) and Kidnapped (literal title).

Source (1)

https://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/news.jsp?seq=5461&mode=VIEW

HA Jung-woo Packs His Bags for NIGHT TRIP

by Pierce Conran | Nov 27, 2020

First Kakao M Film to Be Made Available Online

DD70AF64-ABD4-410A-801B-6870F7994DBA.jpg

Korean star HA Jung-woo has signed on to star in the upcoming thriller Night Trip (translated title). From director

KIM Jin-hwang, the project will be the first film financed by Kakao M, the entertainment company subsidiary of the Korean instant messaging giant Kakao. According to Kakao M, HA Jung-woo will appear in the film, and they are currently finetuning the details.

The film is being described as a mystery-thriller about a detective who takes on a new case only to begin to notice eerie similarities between the case and the plot of a best-selling novel written by his wife. HA has been cast as the detective.

Kakao M plans to release the film on a digital platform, though a partial theatrical launch is also being considered.

Known for a wide range of hits, including The Chaser (2008), Take Off (2009), Assassination (2015), The Handmaiden (2016), 1987: When the Day Comes (2017) and the Along with the Gods series, HA was recently seen in the disaster hit ASHFALL (2019) and the horror film The Closet. HA finished shooting the period sports drama Boston 1947 this year and is scheduled to appear in KIM Seong-hun’s action-thriller Kidnapping (translated title), which was delayed as overseas location shooting requirements became impracticable in the middle of the ongoing pandemic.

The film will be the sophomore film and commercial debut of KIM Jin-hwang, who previously made the indie thriller The Boys Who Cried Wolf (2015), a feature length project from the Korean Academy of Film Arts (KAFA).

Night Trip will go into production in January of next year. Sanai Pictures, known for New World (2013) and The Spy Gone North (2018), among others, will produce the film.

• Like 1

https://zapzee.net/2020/11/23/pick-films-that-flaunt-stellar-ensembles/

[PICK] Films that Flaunt Stellar Ensembles

by krishkim | Edited by Hong Hyun Jung | Translated by Kim Hoyeun

It’s been a while since the star-packed roster became a new trend in Korean cinema. Unlike how one or two stars led the plot, now, several actors imprint their individualities and fill the play more richly and colorfully. From the audiences’ point of view, we can enjoy both the pleasure of seeing “star actors” and the fun of watching a movie. Let’s check out a total of 8 films, ranging from movies that showed rather disappointing results to movies that became a box office hit.

Beasts Clawing at Straws (2019)

Spoiler

5ED3B268-FF4F-4BDA-9ABD-54760A61888C.jpg

Credit: Megabox Plus M

Based on Keisuke Son’s novel, the movie is about the characters in desperate situations and their clashes surrounding a questionable money bag. It is a crime drama with a black comedy about a group of people blinded by desire and become hardened to blood or tears. Jeon Do Yeon, Jung Woo Sung, Youn Yuh Jung, Bae Seong Woo, Jin Kyung, Jung Man Sik, Shin Hyun Bin and Jung Ga Ram paint a terrible irony of clashing into unexpected situations as they try to seize the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

1987: When the Day Comes (2017)

2CF33224-0A9F-4097-8FEF-CF372BD00516.jpg

Credit: CJ Entertainment

Set in 1987, the film captures the chain of events that led up to a huge roar triggered by the death of a student protester. It is based on the true story of the unlawful interrogation and death of a student activist named Park Jong Chul that ultimately prompted the June Democratic Uprising in Korea, and starts as a cold thriller and heads towards a heart-breaking story. And the actors who took part in filmizing the critical event in modern history are simply outstanding. With Kim Yoon Seok, who turned into a ruthless commissioner Park Cheo Won, in the center, Ha Jung Woo, Yoo Hae Jin, Kim Tae Ri, Park Hee Soon, Lee Hee Joon, Jo Woo Jin, Sol Kyung Gu, Gang Dong Won and Moon So Ri (in voice only) vividly performed the moment of 1987 as if they were running a relay.

Juror 8 (2018)

Spoiler

01DF5319-8776-4654-AE5E-EA9B87D4EEC9.jpg

Credit: CGV Arthouse

The movie was inspired by South Korea’s first jury trial. The story of ordinary people being chosen as jurors and seek out the truth of a murder case through evidence, testimony, and confessions is unfolded quite speedily. Moon So Ri plays a presiding judge who always goes by the book, while Park Hyung Sik becomes a jury number 8 and drives the nation’s first jury trial into an unexpected direction with 7 other jurors played by Yoon Gyung Ho, Kim Hong Pa, Jo Han Chul, Kim Mi Kyung, Seo Jeong Yeon, Baek Soo Jang, Cho Soo Hyang.

The Thieves (2012)

Spoiler

389A51E8-61F7-4A78-8C08-B45911274700.jpg

Credit: Showbox

This movie follows Korean and Chinese professional thieves joining forces to pinch a $20 million diamond from an impenetrable casino vault. Directed by The Big Swindle and Tazza: The High Rollers director Choi Dong Hoon, this slick caper flick unfolds a thrilling drama with colorful attractions of conspiracy, betrayal and mixed desires in the colorful criminal world. And the cast lineup certainly wields its dignity. From Kim Yoon Seok and Kim Hye Soo, who worked with Director Choi in his previous project, to Lee Jung Jae, Jun Ji Hyun, Kim Soo Hyun, Kim Hae Sook, Simon Yam, Angelica Lee and Kwok Cheung Tsang transform into characteristic thieves.

The Face Reader (2013)

Spoiler

C952B137-4DEE-4618-97A8-197437E3CADD.jpg

Credit: Showbox

During the Joseon period, when the King’s position is at stake, a disgraced nobleman with a gift for reading faces becomes enmeshed in a power struggle as he tries to alter the fate of Joseon. It combines Korean fortune-telling traditions of reading faces with historical events to create an intriguing story. Along with its unique narrative, the cast packed with A-list stars made headlines. Song Kang Ho and Lee Jong Suk become father and son, and on top of that, Jo Jung Suk joins as brother-in-law, adding to the fun. Lee Jung Jae, Kim Hye Soo and Baek Yoon Sik each play ambitious Grand Prince Suyang, entrancing gisaeng (Joseon’s courtesan) Yun Hong, and Kim Jongseo who has to protect the young King, and take part in dragging Nae Gyeong (Song Kang Ho) into a power struggle.

Secret Zoo (2019)

Spoiler

105051B2-7FE1-4F53-8A04-EB4910FC45E4.jpg

Credit: Acemaker Movie Works

The story begins when a lawyer who is stuck in a dead-end temp position is given a special job to revitalize a failing zoo. The absurd plot of a lawyer and zookeepers disguise themselves as animals and experience wildlife on the other side of the fence in order to save an endangered zoo is unraveled with cute humor. Ahn Jae Hong, Kang So Ra, Park Yeong Gyu, Kim Sung Oh and Jeon Yeo Been deliver a pleasant laugh with fantastic chemistry even in the difficult situation of having to act in the masks of polar bears, lions, giraffes, gorillas and giant sloths, respectively.

Intimate Strangers (2018)

Spoiler

5613A24B-A01C-42BA-BB45-B1FFE0E76B5A.jpg

Credit: Lotte Entertainment

Friends meet for the first time in a long time and play a game of sharing the texts and calls they received that ultimately reveal each other’s secrets. Even though the story takes place in a limited space, fresh materials and unpredictable developments create a high immersion level, and the actors certainly show dazzling prowess. Yoo Hae Jin, Yum Jung Ah, Cho Jin Woong, Kim Ji Soo, Lee Seo Jin, Song Ha Yoon and Yoon Kyung Ho flawlessly become friends who start to feel more like strangers as they desperately try to hide their own untoward secrets. Lee Soon Jae, Ra Mi Ran, Jo Jung Suk and Jin Seon Kyu make special appearances as characters who cause embarrassing moments for the characters.

Parasite (2019)

Spoiler

6977EB61-348D-4392-82C9-7B964489736C.jpg

Credit: CJ Entertainment

It’s a tragicomedy in which families from two opposite ends of wealth distribution fall into unexpected situations when they are unintentionally bridged. The movie completes the portrait of modern people living in an era of polarization, showcasing the originality of every character, from the Kim family who are all either working low-paying temporary jobs or unemployed, and the wealthy Park family, to long-time housekeeper Moon Gwang who is driven to the edge and Geun Sae who has been secretly living in the basement. The chemistry between the actors who portray a story that spreads out of control is by far the best. Song Kang Ho, Choi Woo Shik, Park So Dam and Jang Hye Jin become a “real” family, while Cho Yeo Jeong and Lee Sun Kyun realistically portray the power couple that steps outside of the already existing dichotomous thinking. Lee Jung Eun and Park Myung Hoon, who bring about a shocking twist, also cast a heavy presence.