Han Ji Min 한지민 ♥️♥️♥️ - [Newest Drama] Hip/Behind your Touch [Netflix]; [Upcoming 2024 Drama] Acquaintances/Between Greetings[SBS]

richelle

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richelle

• tok-soompi

• neih212

• minnie91

i am feeling proud. :wub:

Below from Forbes:

166 views|Feb 3, 2019,9:23 am

Actress Han Ji Min Discusses Her Film, Miss Baek, And Her Upcoming Drama

Joan MacDonaldContributor
I'm a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film.

IMG_0263-1.jpg?width=960

Han Ji Min visited New York City recently for the 2019 New York Asian Film Festival Winter Showcase.JOAN MACDONALD

Han Ji Min’s transformation into the character Baek Sung Ah seems even more skillful when you meet the actress in person. Gracious and glamorous, Han is emphatically unlike the unsociable ex-con she plays in Miss Baek, the film that opened the 2019 New York Asian Film Festival Winter Showcase.

Whereas in real life the actress is warm and outgoing, Baek Sung Ah is withdrawn and wary, broken by a lifetime of betrayals. Baek goes to jail for defending herself against an assault by a powerful man. As an ex con, she struggles to get by, successfully avoiding emotional entanglements until she is moved to save an abused child.

To empathetically portray her character’s estrangement, Han had to imagine Baek’s unhappy childhood.

“When I approach a character I always start with how the character grew up and the backstory of that character’s life, leading up to the film’s starting point,” said Han. “But with the character of Miss Baek I spent a lot more time researching her back story and figuring out the way she grew up. Rather than starting with characteristics such as her gestures or facial expressions, I really wanted to understand where she was coming from and what sort of experience formed her.”

Lee Ji Won directed the film and wrote the script. Her story was inspired by real life events, which she shared with Han.

“I had a lot of conversations with my director,” said Han. “Together we really went into the very, very small details of the character’s life.”

Han, whose college major was social work, did not choose the role solely because she needed an acting challenge. After reading the script she decided to use the role to publicize the subject of child abuse.

“Everything started with the script, which I was very shocked to read. When I thought about how prevalent these abuse cases really are, it gave me the urge to participate in a film that touches upon such a widespread societal issue. Starting from that emotional place I sort of dove in without really thinking that much. The process of making this film was quite emotionally difficult  but the story has so much heart. I really wanted the story to reach audiences deeply in their hearts.”

missbaek.jpg?width=960

Han Ji Min plays Miss Baek, an ex-con who has no intention of making commitments.LITTLE BIG PICTURES

Miss Baek is not the first time Han challenged herself with a role outside her comfort zone. Although well known for romantic TV comedies such as Rooftop Prince, she’s appeared in a range of dramatic film and television projects, playing roles that include a resistance fighter, a royal concubine and an overwhelmed working mom.

“For me, if there is ever an option as a performer wherein I can show a different side of myself, I  think that’s reason enough to try that different kind of project, even if I only have one scene in it.  As an artist I feel you are always trying to show different aspects of yourself.”

Despite the acclaim for her gritty portrayal in Miss Baek, her dream role might be in a romantic film.

“In Korea, as well as Hollywood, there is a dearth of meaningful roles for women being written in the industry. I would really love to be in a romantic film. I’ve done that in a lot of Korean dramas but I haven’t had the opportunity to do that in a film. So, if that could happen I would really love to do that because currently in the Korean film industry I feel like that genre is not considered as commercially viable as it used to be.”

Han has two dramas airing in 2019, The Light In Your Eyes, co-starring Nam Joo Hyuk and Kim Hye Ja, and Spring Night, with one of 2018’s most buzzworthy male drama stars, Jung Hae In. The first drama begins airing in the U.S. in February and Han recently joined the cast of the second.

As filming for a multi-episode drama lasts longer, harmonious collaboration with cast and crew is essential for a successful production. Dramas are an ensemble effort and there is often an on-set hierarchy, based on experience and star power.

“ I really felt this huge sense of responsibility that I had to carry this film and that was a first time experience for me. There’s a lot that I learned from being able to lead people on set. The next project I am doing, which is a drama, there’s definitely that sense of responsibility, but there’s also collaborating with your peers. Sometimes the responsibility falls more on the male leads who lead more on the set. With Jung Hae In, who I am working with this time, I started in my career a bit earlier than he did, but I want to try to harmonize with him and to collaborate to the best of my ability so we can communicate well. I was working on another drama called Familiar Wife. On the set of that one I really collaborated a lot with my senior actors, such as Ji Sung. I really learned a lot from that one, so I want to carry that experience on to this drama project.”

Han began acting in music videos and commercials as a high school student, but first gained confidence in her career choice while shooting the film Blue Swallow, playing a girl who dreams of becoming a pilot.

“It was the first time that I really got a feel for what acting was. In the past I’d only worked on dramas and I really didn’t have much communication with the director. My nerves and being scared also factored into interactions, but with Blue Swallow it was the first time that I actually worked closely with the director and that’s when I first felt what it was like to express myself through a character. It wasn’t a defining moment, where I thought, oh, this is my job, I’m an actor through and through, but I thought, if I keep on trying, keep on working on this craft, hopefully I will keep on getting better. I kept going forward with that thought.”

Before Miss Baek, Han had already won dozens of acting awards. Her role in that film took Best Actress awards for the 38th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards, the 39th Blue Dragon Film Awards, the 5th Korean Film Producers Association Awards and at the 19th Women in Film Korea Festival. In 2019 she will keep “going forward” with two new television dramas.

• Thanks 1

Ji Min explains she wanted to work in romantic genre in film.  Maybe that is why her latest drama all more romantic side... especially the latest Spring Night...

I think they have already started work or have met up for the drama with Jung Hae In.  She also does not see herself as older but see herself entering the industry slightly earlier than him.  Hope they have great synergy.  She is going to use what she learnt from Ji Sung and continue to work hard.

Hope she can get a romantic film love call. 

P.s. I really love her melo romantic short film with Park Hyung Sik... 

Who do you like to see her in romantic film? :wub:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tok-soompi said:

Ji Min explains she wanted to work in romantic genre in film.  Maybe that is why her latest drama all more romantic side... especially the latest Spring Night...

I think they have already started work or have met up for the drama with Jung Hae In.  She also does not see herself as older but see herself entering the industry slightly earlier than him.  Hope they have great synergy.  She is going to use what she learnt from Ji Sung and continue to work hard.

Hope she can get a romantic film love call. 

P.s. I really love her melo romantic short film with Park Hyung Sik... 

Who do you like to see her in romantic film? :wub:

I would love to see her in a romantic film:wub: I would have never thought that her dream role would be to act in a romantic film. While mostly romantic films does not guarantee a happy ending, it is okay since in dramas it is the opposite and life is not always about happy endings. I want to see her do a romcom or melo since she can do both. She is a very versatile actress, so proud of how she evolves as an actress. Just knowing that she would love to be in a romantic film makes me excited, makes me giddy lol. Can she work again with ji sub, i would love that but not sure since there is an issue about them dating before. Jo in sung, jung woo sung, there are so many romantic male actors out there. I really hope and i will be wishing for her to receive a nice script. Just thinking about it makes me so excited:wub:

• Like 1

I know for sure that i would love this drama. This is the genre i love. Romantic, funny and very heart warming. Lots of life lessons. Very family oriented. I trust ji min's choices whether dramas or movies, i am sure she already learned from her previous projects. So so excited:wub: I can barely understand everything but i am smiling while watching it. February 11 pali pali:D

Ji min is so funny and she can make you cry too. Very versatile. Best actress indeed:wub:

• Thanks 1

After watching the trailer, the plot has some similarity to familiar wife. They use a thing to manipulate the time, Han Ji Min's character has to go through same unfortunate event (her father died), oops not just HJM, :sweatingbullets:but Lee Jung Eun also has the same fate (why oh why) :joy:. However, I believe this drama will be a heartwarming one, whether it has a happy or sad ending. right now, the father and daughter relationship (mostly played by kim hye ja) probably gives the essential value to this drama, and it draws my attention.

As I saw those behind the scenes, I really hope Korea drama's improving by making a lot of pre-production projects instead of live-shoot. Because it's clearly affected the ambience and synergy of all the crews and actors, it produced well too. I really don't care about the ratings nor the buzz worthy trend thing, as long as it's a good written drama, why bother about all that stuff. Many good dramas didn't have good ratings, but they got a lots appreciation (whether it comes from award shows or reviews). well as many has said, you can't please everyone at the same time, so you shouldn't try to please them all the time in your life. :glasses: I just hope this drama gives a heartwarming feeling to everyone who watch it till the end.

P.S. I'm still in doubt about her decision for the next drama (though she already gave an explanation, and not a solid answer). hahaha just my opinion :D and finger crossed it will done well, we'll see.

• Like 2

If she got good romantic film, i will like her to act with season film actor or around same age actor.  Nothing wrong with very young or very old actor.  Just that i still cannot forget her opportunity with Hyun Bin.  Can she cast with Lee Jun Ki, Joo Ji Hoon or any actors around the same age?? 

It is just a wishlist.  Haha!  Her personality no issue with anyone.  In fact all the younger actors love to work with her.  All the same age very shy with her if they are still single.  All the older ones?  I feel like they may eat her up if they are still single. Haha!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Kim Hye Ja praise...

Below extract from Soompi:

Kim Hye Ja Praises “Radiant” Co-Star Han Ji Min And Looks Forward To Seeing Her Future Growth

Feb 4, 2019
by C. Hong

On February 4, JTBC broadcast a highlight reel for their upcoming drama “Radiant.”

“Radiant” tells the story of a woman who loses all her time before being able to use it (Kim Hye Ja and Han Ji Min) and a man who throws away his time by refusing to live life to the fullest (Nam Joo Hyuk). Kim Hye Ja and Han Ji Min play the same character at different ages.

In the preview, Kim Hye Ja said, “While filming this drama, I really felt like I’d hit a new stride in my old age.” She added about her co-star, Han Ji Min, “She’s already so talented at such a young age, so I wonder what kind of actor she’ll become when she’s my age.”

Han Ji Min said, “I read the scripts for the first two episodes and I thought the character of Hye Ja [the character has the same name as actress Kim Hye Ja] was really interesting and I wanted to play her. It’s very moving to be able to play the same role and carry the same name as Kim Hye Ja. I am happy filming with her.”

“Radiant” premieres on February 11 at 9:30 p.m. KST and will be available on Viki. Check out the trailer below!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unknown12 said:

After watching the trailer, the plot has some similarity to familiar wife. They use a thing to manipulate the time, Han Ji Min's character has to go through same unfortunate event (her father died), oops not just HJM, :sweatingbullets:but Lee Jung Eun also has the same fate (why oh why) :joy:. However, I believe this drama will be a heartwarming one, whether it has a happy or sad ending. right now, the father and daughter relationship (mostly played by kim hye ja) probably gives the essential value to this drama, and it draws my attention.

As I saw those behind the scenes, I really hope Korea drama's improving by making a lot of pre-production projects instead of live-shoot. Because it's clearly affected the ambience and synergy of all the crews and actors, it produced well too. I really don't care about the ratings nor the buzz worthy trend thing, as long as it's a good written drama, why bother about all that stuff. Many good dramas didn't have good ratings, but they got a lots appreciation (whether it comes from award shows or reviews). well as many has said, you can't please everyone at the same time, so you shouldn't try to please them all the time in your life. :glasses: I just hope this drama gives a heartwarming feeling to everyone who watch it till the end.

P.S. I'm still in doubt about her decision for the next drama (though she already gave an explanation, and not a solid answer). hahaha just my opinion :D and finger crossed it will done well, we'll see.

I agree with you @unknown12, watching the long trailer somehow gives the vibes of familiar wife since her mother here is also the same and his father died unexpected too but i think this will also be like the film ms granny but just the opposite. That is why i think ji min considers her role not a big role since this is all about the old kim hye ja. But just the teaser shows good scenes with ji min so i don't mind if she is supporting a great senior actor like kim hye ja. Also, this is pre produced and with a good production team so i have high expectations. I hope that most of their dramas will be pre produced too to improved the quality and also for the stars and crew to not suffer from live shooting and days of no sleep plus they also sometimes changed the script if the ratings is not good and there are complaints from viewers. With pre produced dramas, story is already fixed and they can't change anything even if the rating is good or bad. I always prefer family oriented dramas. I do think it is what hyde, jekyll and me lacks before that is why i don't like that drama. Really hoping that the story is good, funny and may the ratings be good. Ratings unfortunately is very important for a drama to be called successful. Just a decent 3% ratings and it's all good.

Actually, i have some issues with the choice of her next drama too but my concern is mostly with the writer not the actor or PD. If you have watched SITR, you will know what i mean. I have needed a lot of motivation to finish that drama lol. It has the most annoying mother i have watched in all my kdrama watching and i already have watched almost 150 dramas. No issue with jung hae in even if he has been in the spotlight because of the baeksang awards issue and i like the PD since he directed SLA with kim hee ae. The story is the most important and i hope the writer has improved, crossing all my fingers and toes lol. Also, i think ji min accepted this if she likes to act in a romantic film. Romantic film is very different in dramas since it is more intimate so i hope she will do well. The PD is known for more intimate scenes so i am braising myself seeing ji min in those kissing scenes lol:wub:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, tok-soompi said:

If she got good romantic film, i will like her to act with season film actor or around same age actor.  Nothing wrong with very young or very old actor.  Just that i still cannot forget her opportunity with Hyun Bin.  Can she cast with Lee Jun Ki, Joo Ji Hoon or any actors around the same age?? 

It is just a wishlist.  Haha!  Her personality no issue with anyone.  In fact all the younger actors love to work with her.  All the same age very shy with her if they are still single.  All the older ones?  I feel like they may eat her up if they are still single. Haha!

Yeah that opportunity with hyun bin that got wasted sigh. That bad drama experience will hinder their reunion i guess. I hope she can get to act with same age or older actors. I don't mind younger actors but she is of marrying age already. I want her to meet and act with older actors who can be potential namja chinggu too hahahaha. Romantic films are different especially if melo. She should brace herself especially if the actor is a seasoned one lol. Just this drama spring night, she should brace herself since the PD is known for intimate scenes. And we know that her dramas are very limited in this department. I am just hoping for a great chemistry with jung hae in since i am sure their chemistry will be compared to son ye jin. Currently watching a noona drama too and i hope they will have better chemistry. And hoping for jung hae in not to smile a lot lol

• Like 2

@richelle, hahaha (to Jung Hae In smile alots).  Somehow with Ji Min, i felt the intimate might be less obvious.  Not sure is it her that cause director to change of mind... or just the project direction.

Eg.

The age of shadow - Gong Yoo still laments no kissing scene between them as it is cut out.

Two Lights - the director has many well known "erotic" films... but the short film is jist a peck. Haha

The most intimate scene ji min involved so far is padam padam.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, richelle said:

Yeah that opportunity with hyun bin that got wasted sigh. That bad drama experience will hinder their reunion i guess. I hope she can get to act with same age or older actors. I don't mind younger actors but she is of marrying age already. I want her to meet and act with older actors who can be potential namja chinggu too hahahaha. Romantic films are different especially if melo. She should brace herself especially if the actor is a seasoned one lol. Just this drama spring night, she should brace herself since the PD is known for intimate scenes. And we know that her dramas are very limited in this department. I am just hoping for a great chemistry with jung hae in since i am sure their chemistry will be compared to son ye jin. Currently watching a noona drama too and i hope they will have better chemistry. And hoping for jung hae in not to smile a lot lol

HAHAHAHAHA :D many people got irritated too by the way jung hae in got to smile a lot in his previous drama, and i think i know why, it was the script made him do it :sweatingbullets:. I know he's not a bad actor, it's just the fact she got partner up with another younger and new actor (he's considered as new), i wish her partner is someone with the experienced one, just like Ji Sung (this is why i'm not complaining). and also many has complained for the writer too, I agree with you, the writer still needs a lot of improvement. as for the director, i put my hands in the air :lol:, his previous works before pretty noona buy me food were so great, he's being partner up with writer jung sung joo was the best (i watch some his dramas, A wife's credentials was so great).It got me wonder why they didn't get to work together again, and what happen to the writer, no news of his new project?? they indeed bring out the best of each other. hope for future work of them and han ji min got to work with them.

Han ji min wants romantic genre in a movie, it reminds me of Ha jung woo's interview, he also wants to do a romantic movie in the future. what a coincidence! can i hope for this pairing next project? is it too much?? :sweatingbullets: 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tok-soompi said:

The age of shadow - Gong Yoo still laments no kissing scene between them as it is cut out.

I remember read this 2 articles about Gong Yoo's interviews, yes he mention that kissing scene. however in the article, gong yoo said the kissing scene was only up to a suggestion/idea from the director who's also the writer. Gong yoo and the director discuss about that, but they decided not to do it, because that's not too essential for the movie or as i remember gong yoo said he can't see the purpose for having that scene, as the way he looked at her through the camera was already enough to send a message for the viewers that he loves her. as for han ji min, gong yoo said she didn't know at all about the idea nor the discussion. After telling her, han ji min's answer was the same as gong yoo's, she said what's the point of having a kiss in the middle of a fight/war? :lol: (well sometimes this is why i like her, she's being reasonable). well i don't know how gong yoo reacted to her answer, did he disappoint cos perhaps he wanted at least she's answering the opposite?? hahaha (just my imagination). :lol:

• LOL 3

2 minutes ago, unknown12 said:

I remember read this 2 articles about Gong Yoo's interviews, yes he mention that kissing scene. however in the article, gong yoo said the kissing scene was only up to a suggestion/idea from the director who's also the writer. Gong yoo and the director discuss about that, but they decided not to do it, because that's not too essential for the movie or as i remember gong yoo said he can't see the purpose for having that scene, as the way he looked at her through the camera was already enough to send a message for the viewers that he loves her. as for han ji min, gong yoo said she didn't know at all about the idea nor the discussion. After telling her, han ji min's answer was the same as gong yoo's, she said what's the point of having a kiss in the middle of a fight/war? :lol: (well sometimes this is why i like her, she's being reasonable). well i don't know how gong yoo reacted to her answer, did he disappoint cos perhaps he wanted at least she's answering the opposite?? hahaha (just my imagination). :lol:

Yes indeed he agree no kissing for the film.  That is why he keeps suggesting a rapping scene (many times between all of them backstage which i believed is meant to joke. What he really want is skinship with her.  Haha) in the director remake film.  Both of them can re enter the director film even is a very small role.  

• Like 2