Han Ji Min 한지민 ♥️♥️♥️ - [Newest Drama] Hip/Behind your Touch [Netflix]; [Upcoming 2025 Drama] Acquaintances/Between Greetings/Love Scout[SBS]; More Beautiful Than Heaven[JTBC]

richelle

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richelle

• tok-soompi

• neih212

• minnie91

A review for Josée, might help you in case want to watch it at your nearby theater.

“Josée” Movie Review: An unorthodox pure love

Josée (2020) 
PG / 1h 57mins
Opens 10 Dec / 4.0 ★

Based on the 2003 Japanese box office hit “Josée: The Tiger and The Fish”, the homonymous remake is sombre, and not your typical feel-good Korean movie per se. But a thought-provoking one, no less.

Sharp-eyed viewers might have noticed that the Korean filmmakers shortened the title to “Josée”, to put more emphasis on Josée’s world. Though “The Tiger and The Fish” was taken out, they still get a fair share of appearance throughout the film.

They are metaphorical representations of various elements in the movie. The tiger signifies “nightmares”, Josée’s biggest fear. Fishes trapped in vast aquarium tanks are pretty much Josée herself, as she is trapped in her small hut everyday, as she is physically disabled.

But Han Ji-min, who portrays Josée, hopes that “people will see the movie as a love story with a disabled character but as a love story between Josee and Young-seok.”

still_02.jpg?w=1024

That’s not the only thing that changed. Minor twists to the plot were made, or “there would be no value to present something that maps out like the original film to the viewers,” director Kim Kim Jong-kwan says at an online press conference.

The premise of the story, and the emotions of the protagonists, though, stays deep-rooted. 

A fateful encounter between Young-seok (Nam Joo-hyuk) and Josée (Han Ji-min) piqued Young-seok’s interest in Josée. An orphan from young, Josée spends time with her grandma at the outskirts of Seoul, immersing herself into the world of books. The love story between Young-seok and Josée develops.

sh-still_07.jpg?w=1024

The plot does not have a climax, nor a big twist. It is, even, a slow one to put focus on their relationship development, giving the audience ample time to get closer to the characters.

Han, too, had difficulty getting into Josée’s world initially. “Josee experiences the world through books and expresses things differently”, she said.

Their relationship might not have ended off with a fairy-tale like “happily ever after”, but neither was it a hateful breakup. If anything, their unorthodox relationship offered comfort to me and presented love in its purest form.

https://seoulhype.net/2020/12/10/josee-movie-review-an-unorthodox-pure-love-story/

this is another one. SPOILER ALERT!

REVIEW: Josée's strange, unresolved ending mars the love story

A remake of the 2003 Japanese movie, Josee, the Tiger and the Fish, Josée is about a romance transcending physical and social class spaces between Yong Seok (Nam Joo Hyuk), a university senior student and an orphaned, disabled young woman Josée, (Han Ji Min) who is cared for by her grandmother. (Still courtesy of Golden Village Pictures)

A remake of the 2003 Japanese movie, Josee, the Tiger and the Fish, Josée is about a romance transcending physical and social class spaces between Yong Seok (Nam Joo Hyuk), a university senior student and an orphaned, disabled young woman Josée, (Han Ji Min) who is cared for by her grandmother. (Still courtesy of Golden Village Pictures)

Rating: PG
Length: 117 minutes
Director: Kim Jong Kwan
Cast: Nam Joo Hyuk, Han Ji Min
Language: Korean with English and Chinese subtitles

Release date: 10 December 2020 (Singapore)

3.5 out of 5 stars

By Bryan Tan

A remake of the 2003 Japanese movie, Josee, the Tiger and the Fish, Josée is about a romance transcending social class between Yong Seok (Nam Joo Hyuk), a university senior student, and Josée, (Han Ji Min), an orphaned, disabled young woman.

This would be the second time that Start-up (2020) hottie Nam Joo Hyuk will be acting alongside Han Ji Min since their last drama Radiant in 2019. This would also be Nam’s first breakthrough film as the romantic lead in a movie, signalling a career shift towards more serious acting for the former model. Viewers would be familiar with Han Ji Min from drama hits like Rooftop Prince (2012) and The Light In Your Eyes (2019).

The story begins with Yong Seok finding Josée sprawled by a side road, having fallen from her electric wheelchair which had a broken wheel. He goes out of his way to acquire a cart to take the disabled young girl home. She speaks and even thanks him in informal speech, which is considered rude in Korean society especially when talking to strangers.

Yong Seok’s efforts are rewarded with a rather rustic and unappetising meal that Josée’s grandmother whips up for him in the large and ramshackle house that the two of them live in, filled with hoarded goods and empty bottles. He leaves after unenthusiastically accepting the meal, perhaps obliging only because of the fact that Josée is rather attractive.

An unlikely relationship springs forth

The class separation between Yong Seok and Josée could not be clearer. Yong Seok is a young university school senior in engineering with promising job prospects. Josée lives in abject poverty, unable to work because of her disability, and has no citizen identification. Her grandmother scavenges for cardboard and recyclables to eke out a meagre day-to-day living.

A remake of the 2003 Japanese movie, Josee, the Tiger and the Fish, Josée is about a romance transcending physical and social class spaces between Yong Seok (Nam Joo Hyuk), a university senior student and an orphaned, disabled young woman Josée, (Han Ji Min) who is cared for by her grandmother. (Still courtesy of Golden Village Pictures)

An unlikely relationship blossoms between the two, as Yong Seok continues to visit Josée despite her protestations. He finds out Josée is a voracious reader, and has fabricated a whole made-up fantasy world of her own to escape the realities of her hopeless situation.

Enraptured by her uncommon looks and incredible delusions, Yong Seok tries to understand her world and lift her out of her poverty through engaging social workers and Seoul’s resources for the disabled.

But for Josée, these new feelings of affection and attachment are foreign to her, holding both the unfamiliar emotions of pain and pleasure as she grapples with her insecurities and situation, inwardly wondering if anyone could love someone as broken and unwanted as her.

Yet, the film ends on a sad and abrupt note. Josée and Yong Seok supposedly go to Scotland after an unexpected time-skip, but it is revealed that Josee goes there alone, or not at all; perhaps it was all in her head? Yong Seok gets together with his old crush Soo Kyung and they are about to be happily married.

The verdict

The movie does incredibly well expressing the early stages of romantic attraction between two very different people from different backgrounds. Nam Joo Hyuk’s refreshing youthfulness and enthusiasm lends a powerful charm in contrast to the self-deprecating and insecure snarkiness of Han Ji Min’s character. But it seems like the movie completely ignored the climax and went straight into an abrupt time-skip, skating over what actually happened between the two of them.

Josée succeeds on multiple levels, but it just felt like the director ran out of steam towards the end and just wanted to finish it without proper closure or even a climax. It made the message of the movie seem like disabled people are not deserving of love and keeping it; the reason for Yong Seok leaving Josée was painfully unclear and unresolved.

It is an unfortunate and rather tragic end for a movie that had so much potential.

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/review-josees-strange-unresolved-ending-mars-love-story-042436607.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

These two are so cute singing:D

https://www.instagram.com/p/CInG95jJSmy/?igshid=1sl6xa8402chm

@unknown12thanks for the reviews chinggu. Ji min mentioned they did not focus on the reason of the break up. They made it as an open ending which is usual for romantic movies. I still hope the rest of the movie made up for the abrupt ending lol. But since I already watched the original, I can already foresee the ending lol:D

I am just really hoping the movie will be released in whatever way I can watch it legally. I hope it will be shown here theatrically too. Let's hope. Josee fighting:wub:

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Not so many movies is currently shown as SK is battling their worst outbreak ever. Really sad the movie is shown at this time:tears:Well it is the movie's destiny to be shown as WB Korea will be out of the country end of this year. Still I think that atleast the movie gets it's theatrical release. I hope I can watch the movie soon:)

• Like 5

I have been reading good reviews of the movie from those who already have watched it. One post that caught my eye, "Just because love doesn't last forever together doesn't mean that time is meaningless. Maybe each love has a role". Oh my I can't wait to watch Josee. I envy you @tok-soompi. Enjoy and be safe chinggu:wub:

Scotland scenes:wub:

I hope I will not wait that long please pretty please:D

Goddess:wub: I am proud of how she worked hard to promote Josee. They all know that at this time, it will be so hard for a movie to thrive but nevertheless, our ji min still has done her part in promoting the movie. Fighting Josee:wub:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Her 2 memorable drama characters that i like it a lot, no "damsel in distress" input, well written characters. How i wish she can get another opportunities with other talented actors in her previous dramas, such as Jang seung jo and Son ho jun, she also has undeniable chemistry with them, any kind of roles will do, i don't mind if she has to play brother and sister again with Son ho jun, gotta love with their bickering so much :loolz:.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

For me I will add her role as lee jung in in One Spring Night. I also like her character there. Actually she already has 3 consecutive dramas that I really love and watch over and over again:wub: Now that Josee is shown, I am really looking forward to her next choice of project. I hope it is a drama this time as Here is postponed indefinitely:D And ofcourse with the pandemic, movies will take some time to recover so no chance of working on another one.

Scotland shoot of Josee:wub:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIqNDF5J8rl/?igshid=1agm0ulv9ftht

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIrbhgjJAJb/?igshid=meib8lhpcwqd

• Like 5

16 hours ago, richelle said:

@richelle indeed great write up, thanks chingu! I’m even more impatient now to be able to witness the silent but soulful and expressive acting through her eyes. And boy she does have exquisitely beautiful brown eyes! 
9-B8042-FB-F682-4595-9403-509-E3-A1-C3-A

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Me here as well. That post of @unknown12made me want to watch the movie so badly lol. Not even sure when I can watch. Theatrical release on my place is quite an impossible feat lol

https://twitter.com/warnerbros_kr/status/1337593525077098497?s=19

With english subtitles:wub:

https://twitter.com/kocowa_official/status/1337600059328901120?s=19

• Like 4

I have not seen this. The more I want to see the movie:wub:

@tok-soompiHave you watched the movie chinggu? How was it?

26 minutes ago, inBinJinitrust said:

SK is currently in a state of emergency sigh. They have the highest number of covid cases to almost 1000 yesterday. They might imposed a stricter lockdown if the number of cases go up daily. I hope they can release the movie through livestream as many people will not be able to watch in their current state. Only essential activities as encouraged:tears: Hoping WB can release the movie in whatever platform is available.

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 2