[Movie 2007] Secret Sunshine 밀양 Milyang

rubie

March 18, 2008

afa2dx2.jpg

Chinese actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai, who won the best actor award for his role in the film 'Lust, Caution', and Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon, who won the best actress award for her role in the film 'Secret Sunshine', pose together after the second Asian Film Awards ceremony in Hong Kong on Monday. /AFP

Source: Digital Chosunilbo

http://photo.english.chosun.com/dailyNews/...em&idx=1586

Honorees at Asian Film Awards

xttentfilm30318fg7.jpg

South Korean actress Jeon Do-Yeon (center) accepts the award for Best Actress at the Second Asian Film Awards in Hong Kong on Monday, March 17, 2008. Jeon Do-Yeon was honored for her sentimental role in "Milyang" ("Secret Sunshine"), which also earned her the Best Actress award at last year's Cannes Film Festival. [Photo: Xinhuanet]

Source: Crienglish.com

http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/03/18/1261@335141.htm

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pyh2008031800080001300pee9.jpg

S. Korean movie wins big at Asian Film Awards

March 18, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean director Lee Chang-dong poses for a photo after winning the best director award for his film "Secret Sunshine," a story of a widow's mental breakdown, at the 2nd Asian Film Awards held in Hong Kong on March 17. The film also won the awards for best movie and best actress. (Yonhap) (END)

pyh2008031800060001300pix6.jpg

S. Korean actress wins Asian film award

March 18, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actress Jeon Do-yeon ® and Hong Kong actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai pose after winning the awards for best actress and best actor at the 2nd Asian Film Awards held in Hong Kong on March 17.(END)

Source: Yonhap News

http://app.yonhapnews.co.kr/YNA/basic/Arti...AGINGPAGESIZE=5

March 17, 2008

SECRET SUNSHINE Tops Asian Film Awards!

Posted by Todd Brown

2007091104bigzh3.jpg

Though I was too jet-lagged to attend myself, the Asian Film Awards proceeded just fine without me last night and Song Kang-Ho starring Korean drama Secret Sunshine topped the awards, taking home awards for Best Film, Best Director and Best Actress. Song was edged out in the best actor category by Tony Leung, in what must have been an emotional win for Lust, Caution, whose female star was just banned from all media by the mainland Chinese government because of the film’s sexual content.

Source: twitchfilm.net

March 18, 2008

Actress Jeon Picks Another Top Award

By Cathy Rose A. Garcia

Staff Reporter

080318p16actressto8.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon waves after winning

the Best Actress Award at the second Asian Film Awards

in Hong Kong, Monday. / AFP-Yonhap

The internationally acclaimed Korean film "Secret Sunshine" (Miryang) grabbed the spotlight at the second annual Asian Film Awards in Hong Kong, picking up three top awards including Best Film.

"Secret Sunshine," which is about a young widow moving to her late husband's hometown, beat other Asian films such as the controversial thriller "Lust, Caution," Hong Kong's "The Sun Also Rises" and Japan's "I Just Didn't Do It."

Actress Jeon Do-yeon won Best Actress, adding another award to her collection, which includes several Korean acting awards and the Best Actress award at the Cannes Film Festival last May. She won over Korean actress Kim Yun-jin and Chinese actress Tang Wei.

"I don't usually need time to recover from most of the roles I portray. But this time, because my character was so damaged, it took some time to recover from it," Jeon was quoted by the Associated Press, after winning the award.

The film's director Lee Chang-dong was named best director, besting Academy Award-winning director Ang Lee, who was nominated for "Lust, Caution."

Hong Kong actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai won the best actor award for his role as a collaborator in "Lust, Caution." He bested Korean actor Song Kang-ho, who was nominated for his role in "Secret Sunshine," as well as Chinese action star Jet Li and Japanese actors Joe Odagiri and Ryo Kase.

Best supporting actress award was given to Chinese-American actress Joan Chen for "The Sun Also Rises," while the best supporting actor award went to Sun Honglei for "Mongol."

There were several Koreans nominated in various categories at the Asian Film Awards. Actor Chun Ho-jin was nominated as best supporting actor for his role in "Skeletons in the Closet."

Im Sang-soo was nominated as best screenwriter for "The Old Garden," while Shim Hyung-rae was nominated for best visual effects for his work in the blockbuster "D-War."

Kim Yu-jeong and Lee Min-bok were nominated for best production design for "Epitaph" (Gidam), and Lee Eun-soo was nominated as best editor for "The Old Gaden."

The Asian Film Awards, started in 2007 by the Hong Kong International Film Festival Society, is aimed at honoring the finest of Asian cinema, filmmakers and artists.

Last year, a Korean film, "The Host" nabbed the best film prize at the first Asian Film Awards. Actor Song Kang-ho also won best actor for his role in the hit film.

Credits: cathy@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/speci.../178_20940.html

March 19, 2008

'Secret Sunshine' Snags Three Awards at Asian Film Fest

20080319000400ua7.jpg

From left, actor Song Kang-ho, actress Jeon Do-yeon,

director Lee Chang-dong attend the red carpet of the Asian Film Awards

as part of the event at Hong Kong International Film Festival in Hong Kong on Monday. /AP

Korean film "Secret Sunshine" by director Lee Chang-dong has once again earned recognition at an international film festival.

The movie was honored at this year's Asian Film Awards in Hong Kong in three categories -- Best Film, Best Director, and Best Actress.

In the Best Film category "Secret Sunshine" went up against Academy Award-winning director Ang Lee's erotic espionage thriller "Lust, Caution."

Actress Jeon Do-yeon who played the lead female role in "Secret Sunshine" grabbed the Best Actress award. Jeon also won Best Actress at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival for her performance in "Secret Sunshine."

Arirang News

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0803190004.html

Guest kdramafanusa

* 2nd Asian Film Awards *

Secret Sunshine team: Director LEE Chang-dong, actor SONG Kang-ho, actress JEON Do-yeon

1205810310806026181.jpg1205810311-867423391.jpg

1205810311-248773935.jpg1205810316-1232308223.jpg

1205810380208986939.jpg12058103811272224235.jpg

1205810224226084662.jpg12058102241255783910.jpg

12058103811991553115.jpg1205810382-1101775061.jpg

1205810382-996905909.jpg

1205810382-101431813.jpg

120581038323363914.jpg

1205810224807005830.jpg

12058102242008650838.jpg

12058103831006938362.jpg1205810384739375667.jpg

1205810384292672387.jpg

[images=tom]

• 1 month later...
Guest Greener

I watched it because Jeon Do Yeon played in this movie. she played very well and fulfilled acting. when she was sad.

i was sad with her. This movie is serious for me. Maybe i must to pressed "pause" for rest but it's a great movie.

• 1 month later...
Guest OCBigDawg

Anyone know where I can download this movie? I know there is a Clubbox link at the beginning of this thread, but you need a secret pin/password and I don't know what that is. Thanks in advance!

OCBD

• 1 month later...

July 31, 2008

Novelist who left mark on S. Korean film industry dead at 69

SEOUL, July 31 (Yonhap) -- Lee Cheong-jun, who helped shape South Korea's film industry as well as contemporary literature, died of lung cancer on Thursday, his family said. He was 69.

Lee was diagnosed with lung cancer last year and has been undergoing treatment at a hospital.

Since his acclaimed debut in 1965, Lee amplified human nature in his writing, whose topics ranged from the Korean shamanic tradition to self-estrangement in industrialized society.

He published 11 long pieces, three novel series and 10 short novels and stories. His work has been translated in the United States, Japan, China, France, Germany, Austria, Spain and Turkey.

His writings were most frequently adapted for film by South Korean directors. The adapations include "Seopyeonje" and "Secret Sunshine," both of which were critically applauded domestically and internationally.

"Seopyeonje," his most well-known piece in Korea, is the story of a family of traditional Korean pansori singers trying to earn a living in the modern world. Readers and critics alike praised the heart-wrenching story.

Lee built a solid friendship with veteran director Im Kwon-taek, who won a Golden Bear at the 2005 Berlin Film Festival for his contribution to the film industry.

Im has adapted three of the author's pieces into films -- the record-setting "Seopyeonje" in 1993, "Festival" in 1996 and "Beyond the Years" in 2006, which was his 100th movie in his 50-year career.

Lee will be laid to rest on Saturday at the foot of a mountain in his hometown of Jangheung, a rural county in South Jeolla Province, which provided the landscape for many of his writings.

Source: ygkim@yna.co.kr

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturespo...010000315F.HTML

Novelist Lee Cheong-jun Dies

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/speci.../139_28589.html

July 31, 2008

Novelist Lee Cheong-jun Dies

By Cathy Rose A. Garcia

Staff Reporter

080731_p8_novelist.jpg

A visitor pays his respect to the late Korean novelist Lee Cheong-jun,

who died Thursday, at the Samsung Medical Center, southern Seoul.

Lee wrote many famous novels and stories including “Seopyeonje” and

“Dangsindeului Cheon.” / Yonhap

Korean master novelist Lee Cheong-jun, known for "Sopyonje" and "Dangsindeului Cheonkuk" (Your Heaven),'' died Thursday, after losing his battle with lung cancer. He was 68 years old.

Yonhap News reported Lee had been undergoing chemotherapy for lung cancer last year. His illness worsened, and he was transferred to the Samsung Medical Center in Ilwon, southern Seoul for further treatment.

Lee was born August 1939 in Jangheung, South Jeolla Province. In 1965, his short story 'Toewon" won the Sasanggye New Writer Prize. Two years later, he won a Dongin Literature Award for "Stupid and Fool" (Byeongsingwa Meojeori).

Throughout his four decade-long career, Lee wrote more than 100 short stories, 13 novels.

Lee's work has influenced a generation of Korean writers and helped improve the overall quality of Korean literature. He has won some of Korean literature's top awards, including the Yi Sang Literature Award, Republic of Korea Literature Award, Hankook Ilbo's Creative Literature award, and recently, the Ho-Am Arts Prize.

Lee wrote several short novels about the traditional Korean musical art, pansori, such as "Sonpyonje," "The Light of Pansori" and "The Wanderer of Seonhak-dong."

"Sopyonje" is about a traditional pansori master who travels the country with his adopted son and daughter. Director Im Kwon-taek adapted his novel into a film of the same title in 1993. It was the first Korean film to attract one million viewers in Seoul, and it also garnered acclaim from critics in Korea and abroad.

Lee's novel "The Wanderer of Seonghak-dong," was again the basis of another movie by Im, "Thousand Year Crane," released last year.

Another short story "A Story of a Worm," provided the plot for the acclaimed film "Secret Sunshine," directed by Lee Chang-dong and starred Jeon Do-yeon, who won the Cannes Film Festival Best Actress award for the role.

Many of his novels and short stories have been translated and published in the United States, Japan, China, France, Germany, Spain and Turkey.

Despite being sick, he published a new fiction novel last year. He also published a collection of short stories last November.

Lee is survived by his wife and a daughter. His body is at the Samsung Medical Center mortuary, Room 14. Call (02) 3410-6914.

Credits: cathy@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/speci.../139_28589.html

Guest Happy_Day

This movie was so sad. I felt depressed for the whole day.

Not my type of movie, but JeonDoHyun was phenomenal.

Wednesday, 6 August 2008

KOFIC to support films overseas

Written by Han Sunhee

th_sunshine1.jpg th_chaser.jpg th_dream1.jpg th_superman1.jpg th_happiness1.jpg

L - R: Secret Sunshine, The Chaser, Dream, The Man Who Was Superman, Happiness

Posters in clickable-thumbnail format, please click to expand the images

SEOUL – The Korean Film Council (Kofic) Wednesday announced $54,000 of financial support to overseas distributors releasing Korean movies. Stichting Nederlands Filmmuseum was awarded Euros12,000 ($18,700) aid to help with its Netherlands release of Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine" on Sept 12. Hong Kong's Golden Scene receives $12,000 to underwrite its Sept 4 release of Na Hong-jin-helmed "The Chaser" and a further $23,000 to assist November outings of "A man who was Superman," Hur Jin-ho's "Happiness" and the December release of Kim Ki-duk's "Dream."

Source: Variety Asia

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/6650/

• 3 weeks later...

August 27, 2008

Jeon Do-yeon, Ha Jung-woo as Ex-Lovers

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

080827_p14_jeon.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon, left, and Ha Jung-woo who star in "My Dear Enemy,''

talk to reporters during a press conference in Seoul, Tuesday. / Yonhap

South Korea's most in-demand actors Jeon Do-yeon and Ha Jung-woo generated a big media buzz appearing before the press as "former lovers." Jeon, who won the 2007 Cannes Best Actress award for "Secret Sunshine," and Ha, hero of one of this year's highest grossing films "The Chaser," teamed up in "My Dear Enemy," due in theaters Sept. 25.

Popular band Clazziquai's vocalist Horan opened the event, singing mellow tunes that appear in the fall lineup's most anticipated film. Director Lee Yoon-ki, the melodrama craftsman of critically acclaimed works like "This Charming Girl" (2006), brings what he calls an unconventional, post-breakup love story.

Jeon appears as Heui-su, an uptight, unemployed single woman in her mid-30s. Broke and desperate, she suddenly recalls that her ex-boyfriend Byeong-u, owes her 3.5 million won (about $3,500). She finds him gambling at a horseracing track and demands reimbursement. Reunited after one year, the two spend "one fine day" (the Korean title of the film) together, with Heui-su driving Byeong-u to one lady friend after another to borrow money.

About her post-Cannes appearance, Jeon admitted feeling pressured but denied rumors that she was offered innumerable opportunities here and abroad. "I was speaking with ("Secret Sunshine" co-star) Song Kang-ho about how it's hard enough to act in Korean, let alone a foreign language,'' she said. "I chose the script because it was well written, and I adore love stories. But this is an unconventional romance and gives off a unique color."

Unlike the dramatic emotional tension that mark both of the stars' previous works, "My Dear Enemy" takes place over one rather uneventful day, and subtle emotions and chemistry between the actors propel the narrative.

About working opposite the reputed actress, Ha said Jeon quieted his nervousness with her easy manner. The two had actually appeared together three years ago in the hit drama "Lovers of Prague," where Ha played a supporting role as the heroine's bodyguard.

"I can't believe that I have risen to play opposite Jeon in such a short time frame," he said. "While playing her bodyguard in the drama, there were many scenes where I was chauffeuring for her. I remember one particular scene where she was crying, and I was so moved I almost shed tears. Jeon is a great actress who inspires those around her even before the audience." He joked about being rather disappointed there was no love scene.

Jeon said that she was the one who was grateful in the partnership. "I didn't know we'd be cast together because of our age difference, but Jung-woo was able to come far because he was already a good actor back then," she said. Jeon, 35, looked younger than ever in her smoky eye makeup. The film clips showed how she looked even more youthful than Ha, who is five years her junior. Her secret to looking more beautiful by the day? "It's inborn. Just kidding. It's the make-up," she said with a grin.

She continued, "Jung-woo is a very versatile actor and really supported me." Ha, complimented by Martin Scorsese as having as much potential as Leonardo Dicaprio and Matt Damon, has a knack for pulling off colorful characters, from a psychopathic serial killer to a suave bar host in "The Moonlight of Seoul." When asked if the latter character, a playboy who swindles women, might be a repetition for his upcoming film, he said, no.

"While it's true that both characters are very sleazy, 'The Moonlight of Seoul' is a bitter, dark night story while my character in 'My Dear Enemy,' energized by the sun, is cheerful and optimistic despite his recklessness," he said.

"My Dear Enemy" is slated for release Sept. 25. Distributed by Lotte Entertainment.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2.../135_30073.html

• 3 weeks later...

September 11, 2008

Critics judge Secret Sunshine as 2007’s best film

sunshine2007.jpg

LEE Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine is voted the best film of 2007 by a select group of Korean culture and society critics. KIM Ji-hoon’s May 18 came in second and LEE Myung-se’s Mcompletes an illustrious top three of in total twelve selected Korean films.

May18a.jpgMposter1.jpg

Secret Sunshine continued to cement LEE’s name among the great auteur cineastes. The film accumulated numerous awards, culminating in JEON Do-yeon’s best actress crown at Festival de Cannes.

May 18 is exemplary how cinema can represent popular memory and assist in creating alternative histories. The popular film chronicles the Gwangju uprising from the point-of-view of the Gwangju citizens who were branded criminals and vandals by the military government and leading conservative newspapers.

M is an impressive technical achievement of great aesthetic beauty, containing a layered story which plays on memories, love, and reality.

The participants of the annual questionnaire consist of distinguished people from the film industry, film critics and culture academics.

The best foreign film vote went to Ang Lee’s Lust, Caution, followed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu’s Babel, and John Carney’s Once. Eight foreign films were named.

Credits: Yi Ch’ang-ho (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel/

• 2 weeks later...

September 18, 2008

JEON Do-yeon Returns to Screens Sept. 25

20080920.01100122000002.01L.jpg

In what has grown into a highly anticipated Fall feature, LEE Yoon-ki’s My Dear Enemy will mark Cannes-winning JEON Do-yeon’s return to the big screen, with a local release scheduled for September 25th. The at-one-time low-profile film has generated media buzz for its pairing of JEON and actor in the limelight HA Jung-woo. JEON has won numerous Best Actress awards for her role in LEE Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine (2007).

HA caused a sensation for his tense performance in the year’s first runaway hit, The Chaser, in which he played a psychotic prostitute killer. He then returned to screens as a charming but sleazy male host in Moonlight in Seoul. In My Dear Enemy, he plays JEON’s undependable ex-boyfriend Byeong-woo. The two have acted together previously, when HA had a supporting role as JEON’s bodyguard in the hit TV drama Lovers of Prague (2005).

In the new film, JEON plays Hee-soo, an unemployed single woman in her mid-30s, who decides to collect on an outstanding debt her ex-boyfriend owes her. The two spend an unusual day together as Byeong-woo tries to gather the money together by borrowing from other female friends.

Director LEE has claimed much critical attention for his previous three films. His previous feature, Ad Lib Night screened in the 2007 Berlin Film Festival. Both Love Talks (2005) and This Charming Girl have screened at the Pusan International Film Festival with the latter winning the New Currents best feature award in 2004.

Produced by b.o.m Film and Sponge Entertainment, the film is being distributed locally by Lotte Ent.

Credits: Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

September 21, 2008

Jeon Do-yeon on Pregnancy, Post-Cannes Film

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

080921_p16_jeon.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon talks about her new film "My Dear Enemy" and her post-Cannes life

with The Korea Times in a private press meeting / Courtesy of Film Bom

Actress Jeon Do-yeon seems to have it all, having won the Best Actress award at Cannes last year and about to enter motherhood. In time for the release of her latest movie "My Dear Enemy," the 35-year-old, five months pregnant but looking svelte in a colorful construction dress, met with The Korea Times in a private press meeting Friday.

"I'm super healthy, I actually wish I had morning sickness," joked Jeon, who is expected to deliver her first child at the end of January. The actress rose to international prominence for her role in "Secret Sunshine" as a woman traumatized by her son's death. "I was afraid I was portraying a stereotypical mother figure in 'Secret Sunshine,' but the director (Lee Chang-dong) assured me that my interpretation is probably right. If I were to tackle the role again after having my own child, it would probably be different," she said.

080921_p16_jeon2.jpg

"'Secret Sunshine' was challenging because the director left everything completely up to me, and I felt cornered. When I'd tell him I didn't know how to interpret something, he would say he didn't know either," she said. She said she simply wanted to rest after wrapping up the emotionally draining film.

The torment paid off with the much coveted prize at Cannes. But the "Queen of Cannes" felt like a nobody at the festival. "No one knew me, nor had any information about me even after watching 'Secret Sunshine.' Seeing all these cineastes and actors I grew up watching was greatly inspiring but it also affected my self-esteem. It made me realize that there is a lot I still need to achieve in the future,'' she said. Following the international spotlight, the actress did receive a few offers for artistic foreign films and was invited to film festivals around Asia. She was also interviewed by CNN.

About possible a foreign film debut, however, she said it would be unlikely to happen in the near future. "First, the language barrier is there. I'm an actor who always thought dialogue wasn't very important, because people don't speak perfectly in real life. But if I were to deliver lines in a foreign tongue, or if my lines were to be dubbed, it's doubtful whether or not it would be natural. (Making a foreign film debut) would be more rooted in ambition than genuine passion," she said."But I would like to learn English so I can converse with (non-Korean) actors and cineastes," she said.

"My nickname (Queen of Cannes) is the only thing that changed," she said about her post-Cannes life in Korea. Jeon expressed concern about the dwindling domestic film market. "I do get maybe one or two more scripts than I normally would, but with the number of films being produced cut to half, I think all the other actresses are struggling as well," she said.

080921_p16_jeon3.jpg

The Cannes title was a big burden for her, but she chose "My Dear Enemy" for its amusing story about a single unemployed woman in her 30s spending an awkward day with her ex-boyfriend. "I was really scared because I felt overrated (for 'Secret Sunshine'). But my heart feels a lot less heavy now because ('My Dear Enemy') turned out well," she said. "My husband thought I was being myself," she said about her stubborn, ill-tempered character. "You might laugh, but I'm actually quite winsome and charming," she protested.

Jeon has starred opposite some of the most reputable South Korean actors. She made her big screen debut in 1997 in "The Contact" with "Shiri (Swiri)" star Han Seok-gyu, followed by works including "Happy End" opposite "Old Boy" hero Choi Min-sik; "Untold Scandal" with hallyu superstar Bae Yong-joon; and "Secret Sushine" with "The Host" leading man Song Kang-ho. She appears in her latest movie with Korea's rising star Ha Jung-woo ("The Chaser").

"If Song Kang-ho is like a preying beast, Ha Jung-woo is like a bunny who can swindle someone's liver," she said, comparing Ha to the Korean folk tale bunny that can talk a king into selling his liver. "He's a very versatile actor," she complimented Ha. Looking back at her acting career, she said "The Contact" was unforgettable because it was her first movie, and "Happy End" helped define herself as an actress while "Secret Sunshine" made her break herself down.

About taking a break from acting for the baby, she said getting roles might become more difficult. "I think things will get tougher. I have no idea," she said. "Now that I'm about to have a baby, I realize that mothers aren't made to be mothers," she said, explaining that one does not necessarily have to be perfectly prepared to become a parent. But one thing she's sure about is that she wants to become a trusting parent who can have complete faith in her child.

But trust is perhaps key to everything, including movies, like director Lee Chang-dong's utter faith in Jeon for her award-winning role, as well as Lee Yoon-ki's confidence in the screen beauty for her charismatic performance in "My Dear Enemy."

"My Dear Enemy'' is due in theaters Thursday. Spongehouse is hosting a Jeon Do-yeon retrospective through Oct. 1 featuring some 10 films. Spongehouse Gwanghwamun is located near exit 6 of Gwanghwamun Station on subway line 5. Call (02) 2285-2095.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2.../141_31350.html

September 22, 2008

Queen of Cannes' Is Back With Lighter Fare

200809220014_00.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon

The Queen of Cannes is back. Jeon Do-yeon seemed somewhat overwhelmed by the title, given to her after her winning the Best Actress award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2007 for her role in “Secret Sunshine,” but she knew she would have to get used to it. The Chosun Ilbo met her for an interview at a café in Apgujeong-dong on Friday afternoon. “This won’t go away until someone else gets the Best Actress award, right? I want to break people’s preconception that I peaked at ‘Secret Sunshine,’” she says.

Jeon is back on the screen with “My Dear Enemy” directed by Lee Yoon-ki, which is to be released this Thursday. She stars as Hee-su, an unmarried woman who goes to her ex-boyfriend a year after their breakup to collect W3.5 million that she had lent him. It is a much lighter, and perhaps duller, character compared to the dramatic Shin-ae in “Secret Sunshine,” a mother whose child was abducted and found dead. “Because the role of Shin-ae was so difficult, I wanted to do something more relaxing and comfortable after ‘Secret Sunshine.’ But it wasn’t as easy as I thought,” Jeon says.

She calls “My Dear Enemy” a romantic film that is different from the average melodrama, where everyone knows how it will end. “I was drawn to Hee-su because she and I have a lot in common,” Jeon says. “She looks as if she often tends to step out of line, but in fact she battles every day to survive.”

Jeon is expecting a baby in January next year, and she seems excited. “I thought a mother is a perfect and impeccable being to everyone, but after I got pregnant, I realized that I wasn’t ready to be a perfect person for anyone,” she admits. But she soon brightens. “I heard daughters are the capital of a family, and it is also fun to see sons growing into young men.”

There is more good news for Jeon fans. From Thursday last week until Oct.1, a retrospective devoted to her is being held in the Gwanghwamun and Apgujeong branches of the Sponge House. It’s a small film festival consisting of Jeon’s entire filmography of 10 films, such as “The Contact (1997),” “Happy End (1999),” “Untold Scandal (2003),” “You Are my Sunshine (2005)” and “Secret Sunshine (2007).”

A film festival homage to a 30-something active actress is an extremely rare thing. “At first, I consented to the idea without giving it much thought. I just said yes out of curiosity and for the fun it might bring. But afterwards, I felt a lot of pressure,” Jeon says. “But these films are like my children, and they compare quite well with any other films. So while I feel the pressure, I also feel confident and proud.”

Source: english.chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0809220014.html

• 3 weeks later...

October 6, 2008

Korean Films Sold Overseas

e081006_01.jpg

Acclaimed Korean films, “Secret Sunshine” and “The Good, the Bad, the Weird,” have been sold to European buyers at the Pusan International Film Festival’s Asian Film Market. This year’s Asian Film Market attended by 132 film companies from 28 countries was marked by the number of Korean films exported to the European market. Director Lee Chang-dong’s award-winning “Secret Sunshine” was sold to Rapid Eye of Germany and Korean western “The Good, the Bad, and the Weird” to Sweden’s Nonstop Entertainment and Hong Kong film distributor Celestial Pictures.

Other Korean films purchased by foreign film companies include Director Lee Jun-ik’s “Radio Star” to Fine Films of Japan, director Kwon Chil-in’s “I Like It Hot” and this summer’s blockbuster “Project 1448.”

The latest Asian Film Market held a seminar of the Asian Film Fund Forum participated by world-leading film funds to share information on the status and know-how of Asian film funds. Also young Korean film producers introduced various projects to revive the sluggish Korean film industry and held the Korean Producers in Focus Project Pitch to find investors.

Source: KBS WOrld

http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/entertainme...ail.htm?No=8338

Guest riehae

She really made her way to Hollywood. Hope for her more success in the industry. I would love to see her in a Korean drama soon.

• 2 months later...

Archived