[Movie 2007] Secret Sunshine 밀양 Milyang

rubie

September 17, 2007

Director Lee to Head Jury of Tokyo Film Festival

By Sa Eun-young

Staff Reporter

directorleechangdongvv2.jpg

Director Lee Chang-dong

Korean director Lee Chang-dong, 53, will head the jury for the international film festival TOKYO FILMeX 2007, which will take place from Nov.17 to 25 in Tokyo, Japan.

His film, "Secret Sunshine" (2007), which garnered him and his lead actress the Best Actress recognition at the Cannes Film Festival, is expected to be screened as the closing film of the Tokyo film festival. "Secret Sunshine" is currently lined up to make appearances at the New York Film and the London Film festivals. And next year, the film will take its chances at the Oscars in the foreign language film category.

TOKYO FILMeX, which took off in 2000, is an annual international film festival that aims to present the best contemporary independent cinema from Asia, stringently selecting works that are noted for originality and creativity.

Apart from the competitive section there will be special screenings of new films by prominent filmmakers from around the world. Each year there is also a special program that does retrospectives on two or three filmmakers from participating countries. Included will also be a symposium that involves panel discussions with participating critics, festival directors and filmmakers.

"I'm honored to accept to the role as chairperson of the jury for the film festival," Lee said. "I believe that films are a culture that we share and I hope this (film festival) will be an opportunity to reflect on wonderful encounters and the beauty of life through films."

Lee, also a former Minister of Culture, previously directed three widely acclaimed films, "Green Fish," (1997) "Peppermint Candy" (1999) and "Oasis" (2002).

Specific details on the screenings and festival guest will be announced at a press conference next Wednesday.

Credits: eysa@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/speci.../139_10291.html

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JDY off-topic ^^

September 21, 2007

Jeon Do-yeon to Star in New Film

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

jeondoys3.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon

Jeon Do-yeon, the most high profile actress here since being crowned Best Actress at the Cannes International Film Festival in May, will star in Lee Yoon-ki's forthcoming piece "Meotjin Haru" (A Fine Day), Bom Film Productions announced Friday.

Jeon won the prestigious award for her portrayal of a traumatized woman in Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine" (2007). For her 11th film, the 34-year-old has chosen the role of a jobless, lover-less woman in her 30s who spends a strange day with her ex-boyfriend. The male lead is yet to be cast.

Director Lee is well known for his critically acclaimed piece "This Charming Girl" (2005).

"I am happy to be able to work with the chameleon-like actress,'' Lee was quoted as saying according to Bom Film Productions, which also produced Jeon's previous works "Untold Scandal" (2003) and "You are My Sunshine" (2005).

"Meotjin Haru" is scheduled to go into production this November for release early next year.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/speci.../178_10674.html

Great (but really great) news ! :w00t:

I'm a huge fan of Lee Yoon-Ki, and I'm glad he casted Jeon Do-Yeon - it means he'll have a good actress in his movie (but he always cast good actresses) but also, as Jeon Do-Yeon is famous, he'll have money to do it (because he didn't have a lot for his last film...)

i got my DVD last night ..so i watched Secret Sunshine when everyone was at sleep in the darkness . so as to speak .~~ ..strangely ...the full impact of the movie hit me in full force the next day which is today ..and it lingers .and keep coming back to me ....and at some pt i choked up at certain thoughts ..like it was too much ...

that scene of her meeting the man ..

whom it took so much for her to even master that strenght to forgive ..how much through helll she went through to see that light From God and being able to be brave enough to spread HIS love through forgiveness

yet what awaits her ..was nothing that she had imagined it to be ...

the sinner was already forgiven and basking in GOD's love as well

...that scene keep coming back to me ...and what follows ..

i am not sure if i can say this is Jeon Do Yeon best performance because she always been in her best form in all those roles she had taken but this one .take alot from her .i can really sense that ..........she was living through the emotions ..of this woman ..who went from hell to heaven and back to earth again .

i got my DVD last night ..so i watched Secret Sunshine when everyone was at sleep in the darkness . so as to speak .~~ ..strangely ...the full impact of the movie hit me in full force the next day which is today ..and it lingers .and keep coming back to me ....and at some pt i choked up at certain thoughts ..like it was too much ...

that scene of her meeting the man ..

whom it took so much for her to even master that strenght to forgive ..how much through helll she went through to see that light From God and being able to be brave enough to spread HIS love through forgiveness

yet what awaits her ..was nothing that she had imagined it to be ...

the sinner was already forgiven and basking in GOD's love as well

...that scene keep coming back to me ...and what follows ..

i am not sure if i can say this is Jeon Do Yeon best performance because she always been in her best form in all those roles she had taken but this one .take alot from her .i can really sense that ..........she was living through the emotions ..of this woman ..who went from hell to heaven and back to earth again .

yes yes I know what you mean. I didn't really think much after watching it until a few days later when parts of the movie kept coming back to me.

At first I was surprised how she became a Christian because I didn't expect this movie to have religious themes. But anyways, yea, the part when she goes and tries to forgive that man... it was really unexpected because I thought it was going to all go well and she was going to stay a Christian.

I really like how you put that... "who went from hell to heaven and back to earth again." It's very true lol.

October 2, 2007

JEON Do-yeon Selects Next Project

Top Korean actress JEON Do-yeon has chosen her next project amidst a flood of offers following her win earlier this year at the Cannes film festival. Acclaimed at home for taking on many diverse and challenging roles, she recently catapulted into the international spotlight with her Cannes Best Actress win for her powerful performance as a traumatized mother in LEE Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine.

JEON will take the lead role in Meotjin Haroo (A Fine Day), the fourth feature from talented director LEE Yoon-ki. LEE made his impressive debut at the Pusan International Film Festival in 2004, winning the New Currents award for This Charming Girl. He followed with Love Talks (2005), filmed in LA, and Ad Lib Night (2006) which screened at the Berlinale this year.

A Fine Day will be a drama concerning a thirty-something woman, both jobless and single, who spends a strange day with her ex-boyfriend. JEON will star as the female lead while no actor has yet been announced for the male role. b.o.m. Film Productions is the producer, along with help from Sponge. b.o.m. also produced JEON’s previous films Untold Scandal (2003) and You Are My Sunshine (2005). Shooting is to begin in November 2007.

Nigel D'Sa (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel?...Gesimul_SNO=798

October 3, 2007

Secret Sunshine Contender at 1st Asia Pacific Screen Awards

The Asia Pacific Screen Awards nominated LEE Chang-dong’s Secret Sunshine three times; the film competes for the awards: Best Feature Film, Best Screenplay, and Best Actress (JEON Do-youn). Promising actor RYU Deok-hwan is nominated for the Best Actor award for his role in Like a Virgin.

Secret Sunshine distinguished itself at this year’s Cannes International Film Festival and it culminated in the Best Actress award for JEON. RYU already collected a number of Best New Actor awards for his performance in Like a Virgin. He was part of this year’s JANG Jin film My Son alongside CHA Seung-won.

The Asia Pacific Screen Awards’ goal is to celebrate cinematic diversity and to highlight cinema from the Asia-Pacific region. The inauguration of the award show will take place on November 13, will be held at Australia’s Gold Coast, and is initiated by the Queensland government with the support of CNN International, UNESCO, and International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF).

Yi Ch'ang-ho (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel?...Gesimul_SNO=803

Wednesday, 10 October 2007

A conversation with: Lee Chang-dong

Written by Variety Reporters

Lee Chang-dong, director and New Currents jury member at the Pusan Film Festival.

How many times have you attended the Pusan Intl. Film Festival?

I don’t remember the exact number of tmes. But perhap seven or eight.

What’s your fondest festival memory?

Of course it would be the experience of encountering so many extraordinary films in the theater.

What do you feel sets Pusan apart from other fests?

First and foremost is the enthusiasm you feel from the people who come to the festival. They are young, passionate and people who love cinema. You don’t have to be a Hollywood top star director to have them flock to you for your autograph. But do not trust their enthusiasm too much. I question whether they line up at the theater after the festival ends to see your film.

What are your festival expectations?

I wish we can all leave the festival with a great sense of satisfaction. To experience this festival not as one among many, but as a truly special one. Where directors can meet with new film producers and distributors to discuss their next project.

What are you most looking forward to?

A moment when I truly feel it was worthwhile becoming a film director.

What films do you anticipate seeing?

Lee Isaac Chung’s film, Hou Hsiao Hsien’s new film and Edward Yang’s films.

Who’s your favorite Asian filmmaker?

Hou Hsiao Hsien

How about favorite Asian actor or actress?

Maggie Cheung, Gong Li, Tony Leung. I also like the actors and actresses I’ve worked with such as Song Kang-ho, Sol Kyung-koo, Jeon Do-yeon, Moon So-ri.

What is your favorite film of all time?

It is more difficult to suggest one film than several films. However, I don’t want to bore you with the several films I like.

Who are you most looking forward to meeting at the festival?

Friends who I can meet, connect with and understand through film.

What’s your favorite Korean dish?

The raw fish with Korean liquor, soju, I can eat and drink along the Haeundae Beach.

What Korean food do you recommend visitors try?

The codfish soup (daegoo tang) we normally eat in the morning after a long night of heavy drinking.

Can we anticipate running into you at a beach bar during the fest?

Like always, and for all the people who seek Busan during this time, it is an inevitable fact.

What will you be drinking?

In fact I suffer from an alcohol allergy, but I will have to drink.

Where are you going after the fest?

My home located on the outskirts of Seoul. But after a short break, I will be heading for Europe, then Japan and China.

Source: Variety Asia

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/4652/53/

• 3 weeks later...

October 30, 2007

Korean film 'Secret Sunshine' to be screened in LA

2007103016213258428dj1.jpg

A scene from "Secret Sunshine""Secret Sunshine" (Korean title: "Miryang") will be shown at a film festival in Los Angeles.

Directed by Lee Chang-dong, Korea's former Minister of Culture, the movie will be seen along with 147 other movies from 36 countries from Nov. 1 to 11 at the 21st annual AFI Fest.

The film's lead Jeon Do-yeon was named Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2007.

"Secret Sunshine" is about a young widow, Shin-ae (Jeon), whose husband and only son are murdered by a psychotic bus driver. Grief stricken, she becomes a devout Christian and searches for a new life in her late husband's hometown Miryang.

Emotionally disturbing and painful, yet deeply moving, "Secret Sunshine" will be screened twice during the festival, on Nov. 2 and 4, at Hollywood's Arclight Theater.

The much-anticipated film "Lions for Lambs" will launch the festival. A political thriller, the movie is directed by Robert Redford and stars Tom Cruise, Meryl Streep, and Redford himself.

This year's AFI Fest has another event related to Korea: Samsung's Fresh Films, the nations' largest teen filmmaking program, will present the inaugural Youth Fest 2007, which showcases the work of aspiring teenage filmmakers. Starting at 9 a.m. on Nov. 3, there will be screenings of films produced by its artists and an indie-movie making discussion that will feature Jeremy Coon, producer and editor of Napoleon Dynamite.

American Film Institute Fest

Since 1987, the Los Angeles-based American Film Institute has presented some of the world's most celebrated films. This year's 148 movies from 37 countries is a testament to the AFI Fest's call for diversity and a universal celebration of the art form.

Source: Korea.net

http://www.korea.net/news/news/newsView.as...Day=&page=1

November 1, 2007

Tour to Filming Sets

Dramatic Legacy Still Goes on Locations Nationwide

By Chung Ah-young

Staff Reporter

071101_p9_main.jpg

A view of Park Southernland, an outdoor set for the drama, "Taewangsasingi

(The Four Guardian Gods of the King)" on Jeju Island and the main actor Bae Yong-joon.

/ Korea Times file photos

Does a mega-hit drama or film leave a tourist attraction behind it? Even after dramas end, their legacy seems to remain through film sets.

Since the set of hit drama ``Winter Sonata'' on Nami Island became a landmark tourist site a few years ago, other dramas have followed suit.

Thanks to the on-going hallyu, Korean Wave in Asian countries, mostly spurred by Korean dramas, various destinations around the country from Nami Island in Gangwon Province to Jeju Island are luring tourists including not only Koreans but also foreigners.

Taean County

The filming site of "Taewangsasingi" (The Four Guardian Gods of the King) in Taean County, South Chungcheong Province, is becoming a fresh spot for many fans of actor Bae Yong-joon, fondly called "Yonsama," in Japan.

This year's blockbuster drama, now airing on MBC, was shot on a 9,744 square-meter set in Taean County.

The drama starring Bae and award-winning actress Moon So-ri is a love story set in the lifetime of King Gwanggaeto of the Goguryeo Kingdom (37 B.C.-A.D. 668).

About two billion won was spent to film battle scenes and other dynamic large-scale scenes for the drama.

The 24-episode drama currently has been filmed on sets in Anmyeon-do, Taean County.

According to the production team, the last scene of the drama will be the largest battle scene in the nation's drama filming history with more than 1,000 extras in the battle led by King Gwanggaeto.

The county, however, is renowned not only for "Taewangsasingi" but also for various films such as the martial arts drama, "Damo" (2005) and the film, "Bungee Jumping of Their Own" (2000).

The reason why the region has been the venue for several films and dramas is attributed to the beautiful scenery and vicinity to Seoul. It takes about two and half hours from Seoul on average.

"The sets should be designed to be used not as a one-time set but to be reused as a tourist site later in the future," an official of the county government said.

Jeju Island

071101_p9_2.jpg

Jeju Island is famous for the shooting of the hit drama, "All In" starring Song Hye-kyo and Lee Byung-hun.

Afterwards the set was used as a tourist attraction until it was destroyed by Typhoon Maemi in 2003. The county government spent three billion won to restore the "All In" house there.

Also, "Daejanggeum" (Jewel in the Palace) was filmed at the Jeju Folk Village Museum. On the Odolgae, or sea cliff, the court lady with the surname Han died. In addition, the magnificent Mount Songak, and the island's well-preserved historical sites created fantastic scenes for other TV series.

The commercially unsuccessful movie "Lee Jae-Soo's Rebellion" (1999), based on a historical story, was mostly filmed on the island.

But the southern resort island is inviting fresh attention as new dramas have shot scenes there.

"Taewangsasingi" and "Sad Love," an upcoming drama to be broadcast on KBS starting from Dec. 3, filmed scenes on the island.

The island was the second location for the film "Destiny" starring hallyu heartthrobs Kwon Sang-woo and Song Seung-heon.

The film was shot in Soisoggak Valley in Sogwipo on the island, which had been almost unknown to the public. But after filming in the valley, Japanese fans began flocking to the spot last summer.

Also, Park Southernland, the location where "Taewangsasingi" was filmed in Myosanbong, was opened to the public in September. The sets re-create Guknaeseong, the old capital of Goguryeo Kingdom.

More than 20,000 visitors flocked to the spot in the first 10 days after the opening.

Entrance fees cost 8,000 won for adults, 6,000 won for students and 4,000 won for children and the elderly.

Nami Island

071101_p9_1.jpg

Home to more than 300 species of trees, Nami Island has been home to many Japanese tourists to feel the same moods evinced by "Winter Sonata" stars Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji-woo.

The island still attracts tourists on weekdays as well as weekends.

Only a 10-minute ferry ride from Gapyeong in Gyeonggi Province, the island features bronze sculptures of Bae and Choi waiting in the lake at the main gate. The sculptures were created for about 20 million won, along with Bae's character Jun-sang's house.

In a tranquil environment rich in biodiversity, the island has many tree-lined paths that all lead to the central square's restaurants and shops.

The birch tree lined path is better known among drama lovers as the one where Bae and Choi rode a bicycle on their date.

Miryang

071101_p9_3.jpg

Miryang, South Gyeongsang Province, used to be a relatively lesser-known place, but is emerging as a new tourist destination after the award-winning film "Secret Sunshine" was shot there.

Following actress Jeon Do-yeon winning the Best Actress prize at this year's Cannes International Film Festival for the film directed by Lee Chang-dong, the city arouses curiosity from foreigners and Koreans because of its title, "Secret Sunshine," which means the name of the city, Miryang.

"Miryang is an ordinary place. It has a lovely name, though, which means "Secret Sunshine." I have always wondered why such a dull town had such a poetic name. The idea behind that choice of title being that even in an altogether ordinary life, there can be a metaphysical quest," Lee said at a press conference held for the in-competition presentation of the film at the festival.

In the film, Sin-ae (Jeon) moves with her son, Jun, to Miryang, the town where her dead husband was born. As she tries to come to grips with herself and set out on new foundations, the film revolves around another tragic event that overturns her life.

To make the best use of the growing interest in the city, the city plans to rebuild "Jun Piano," a private piano lesson institute, in which Sin-ae and her son live, with 100 million won.

Also, not only the Miryang Station where Sin-ae and Jong-chan (Song Gang-ho) sang hymns during church services, and main roads on which the main characters featured are being promoted as tourist attractions.

Yangju in Gyeonggi Province

071101_p9_4.jpg

One of the most successful hallyu dramas

might be "Daejanggeum" (Jewel in the Palace).

Its popularity still lives on through the outdoor set which was renovated into a theme park offering the existing facilities, a variety of events and programs for visitors to see, enjoy and experience.

The theme park spans 6,600 square meters within the Yangju Culture Valley located in Mansong-dong, Yangju City, Gyeonggi Province, consisting of 23 independent facilities.

In each set, small properties and costumes actually used for the shooting, are exhibited, and some of the drama scenes have been reconstructed exactly the same way they were at the time of filming the drama.

In addition, visitors can watch a collection of drama highlights, a PD's history class, stories of royal food and recipes by Han Bok-ryeo, the royal food specialist who provided advice on food for the drama in those sets.

The set is called MBC's Yangju Culture Valley. Two of MBC's best hit epic dramas such as "Sang Do" (Business Ethics) and "Huh Joon" was also shot there, and was also the main location for dramas like "Wangcho" and "Duk-hee."

There are also many exciting events such as riding a "gama" (Korean palanquin), trying on traditional Korean costumes, playing "tuho," or a traditional game of throwing arrows into a large jar, experiencing "gonjang" penalty (a type of corporal punishment during Joseon Kingdom of flogging a criminal), playing archery games and more.

Credits: chungay@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2.../203_12955.html

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday, 13 November 2007

"Secret Sunshine" radiates at Asia Pacific Screen Awards

Written by Patrick Frater

The South Korean film industry claimed victory at the inaugural Asia-Pacific Screen Awards with the Lee Chang-dong-helmed drama "Secret Sunshine" claiming the best movie prize. Pic's star Jeon Do-yeon was named best actress.

Other prizes were more evenly spread around the massive region which according to UNESCO definition extends from Turkey in the West to the Cook Islands in the West.

Indian multi-hyphenate Feroz Abbas Khan won the best screenplay award for script of "Gandhi My Father," while Iranian co-helmers Rakhshan Bani-Etemad and Mohsen Abdolvahab took home the directing prize with their "Mainline" (Khoonbazi.) Turkish thesp Erkan Can was named best actor for role in "Takva: A Man's Fear of God."

APSA jury was headed by Indian actress Shabana Azmi alongside Kim Dong-ho, director of Korea’s Pusan International Film Festival, Iranian director Jafar Panahi, UK producer Nik Powell and Chinese filmmaker Tian Zhuangzhuang.

Event backed by Queensland Events in collaboration with CNN International, UNESCO and International film producers' federation FIAPF was held in Australia's Gold Coast.

Jeon picked up the same prize in Cannes where the film bowed and has twice been named in Variety's "achievement" lists.

Asia Pacific Screen Awards 2007 Winners List

Best Feature Film

"Secret Sunshine" (Miryang) Lee Chang-dong (South Korea.)

Best Performance by an Actress

Jeon Do-yeon in "Secret Sunshine" (South Korea.)

Best Performance by an Actor

Erkan Can in "Takva: A Man's Fear of God" (Turkey)

Best Achievement in Directing

Rakhshan Bani-Etemad and Mohsen Abdolvahab for "Mainline" (Khoonbazi) (Iran)

Best Children’s Feature Film

"Denias, Singing on the Cloud" (Denias, Senandung di Atas Awan) (Indonesia)

Best Animated Feature Film

"5 Centimeters per Second" (Byosoku 5 Centimeters) (Japan.)

Best Documentary Feature Film

"Beirut Diaries: Truth, Lies and Videos" Mai Masri (Lebanon.)

Best Screenplay

Feroz Abbas Khan for "Gandhi My Father" (India)

Best Achievement in Cinematography

Hooman Behmanesh for "Those Three" (An seh) (Iran)

The FIAPF Award for outstanding achievement in film in the Asia-Pacific region:

Dr George Miller.

The UNESCO Award for outstanding contribution to the promotion and preservation of cultural diversity through film:

"The Band's Visit" (Bikur Hatizmoret) (Israel)

Jury Grand Prize

"Night Bus" (Autobus e Shab) Kiumars Pourahmad (Iran)

Source: http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/4943/53/

Although not her latest pic, JDY looks really sweet in this photo --

November 14, 2007

Jeon Do-Yeon Wins Best Actress Award at Asia Pacific Screen Awards

071114ent2ys5.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon, who received the Best Actress Award at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year, has once again received a Best Actress Award, this time at the Asia Pacific Screen Awards.

The Asia Pacific Screen Awards, which celebrates films from the Asia Pacific region, was held for the first time this year in Gold Coast, Australia.

Ceremony organizers said Jeon defeated other strong candidates and received the award for Best Actress following a unanimous vote by a panel of judges. They added that the award has solidified her status as one of the leading actresses in the Asia Pacific region.

Jeon, who did not attend the ceremony due to film shooting, said she was very happy to be the recipient of the award and thanked the judges. She promised to work harder to improve her skills as an actor and make more quality films in the future.

The Asia Pacific Screen Awards will be broadcast around the world, including North America and Europe, on November 17.

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...9615_11858.html

yes yes I know what you mean. I didn't really think much after watching it until a few days later when parts of the movie kept coming back to me.

At first I was surprised how she became a Christian because I didn't expect this movie to have religious themes. But anyways, yea, the part when she goes and tries to forgive that man... it was really unexpected because I thought it was going to all go well and she was going to stay a Christian.

I really like how you put that... "who went from hell to heaven and back to earth again." It's very true lol.

ya i was abit surprised too at the turn of events ...

the scene of when she break down in the church ..everyone was like in a frenzy or something ..all pouring out their hidden emotions ...it scared me abit ~ ya the meeting with the man ...it wa the major twist of the entire movie ...seriously i will have also think it is so unfair ..what she had overcome in order to make herself come to the place to forgive the sinner .. was for naught ..when the man responsible already was forgiven ..

oh okay apart from being nominated for the 28th Blue Dragon in the best actress category ....Secret Sunshine is also nominated in the 6th Korea Film AWards in the

Best Director

Best actor [Mr Song is nominated for two movies in this category keke The Show much go on is pretty good too ]

BEst actress

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/koreafilm...nate/index.html

^ Thanks for sharing the update info, Shirley. Wishing the very best for Secret Sunshine & JDY and SKH especially. Awesome actors!

Good to have some real gist for the thread. And great discussion, as always.

Wish I can join in, too.

Sigh. :(

Nov 14 2007

LEE Chang-dong in Focus in Greece

A complete retrospective of critically acclaimed Korean director LEE Chang-dong will be featured at the 48th Thessaloniki International Film Festival which runs Nov. 16 – 25 in Greece. Along with the director’s latest film, Secret Sunshine, which won JEON Do-yeon a Best Actress award at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, LEE’s three previous films will also be screened.

The focus on LEE comes 10 year’s after his debut feature Green Fish was selected to screen in competition at the 38th Thessaloniki, introducing him to local audiences as Korea’s ‘new hope.’ Building on the critical success of Green Fish, LEE wrote and directed a milestone in Korean cinema, Peppermint Candy (1999), a harrowing journey in reverse through 20 years of contemporary Korean history. His 2002 film Oasis won him the Best Director prize at Venice and brought actress MOON So-ri into the limelight with her Venice award for Best New Performance.

All four films in the LEE’s growing oeuvre will be screened with the director scheduled to attend the special event. Greece has shown growing interest in Korean films, with the 1st prize at last year’s Thessaloniki fest going to Family Ties by director KIM Tae-yong.

Nigel D’Sa (KOFIC)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/KOFIC/Channel?...Gesimul_SNO=840

• 2 weeks later...

November 25, 2007

071125p16photoxd9.jpg

Blue Dragon Awards Winners: Actress Jeon Do-yeon, left, who won the best actress award at the 60th Cannes film festival for her role in “Secret Sunshine,” and actor Song Gang-ho pose after winning the best actor-actress awards for their roles in the same film at the 28th Blue Dragon Awards, which was held at National Theater of Korea in Seoul, Friday./ Yonhap

Source: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sport.../173_14327.html

December 1, 2007

CONGRATULATIONS

SECRET SUNSHINE ON THEIR BIG WIN AT THE 6th KOREA FILM AWARDS!

Thanks to Shirley & yum yum dimsum for the latest highlight and result

Copied from 6th Korea Film Awards, 1 December 2007

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...180529&st=0

Best Picture - 'Secret Sunshine'

Best Director - Lee Chang Dong 'Secret Sunshine'

Best Actor - Song Kang Ho 'Secret Sunshine'

Best Actress - Jeon Do Yeon 'Secret Sunshine'

Best Supporting Actor - Sung Ji Roo 'Paradise Murdered'

Best Supporting Actress - Gong Hyo Jin 'Happiness'

Best New Director - Kim Mi Jung 'Shadows in the Palace'

Best New Actor - Daniel Henney 'My Father'

Best New Actress - Song Hye Gyo 'Hwang Jin Yi'

Best Original Screenplay - Choi Dong Hun 'Tazza'

Best Art Direction - Yoo Joo Ho & Yoon Sang Yoon 'M'

Best Cinematography - Hong Kyung Pyo 'M'

Best Editing - Shin Min Kyung 'Tazza'

Best Lighting - Choi Chul Soo 'M'

Best Sound Effects - Kim Suk Won, Kim Chang Sup, Lee Tae Gyu 'Voice of A Murderer'

Best Music - Bang Jun Suk 'Radio Star'

Best Visual Effects - 'D-War'

December 1, 2007

Strong 'Sunshine' at 6th Korea Film Awards

20071202083219326940948fr6.jpg

List of WINNERS, thanks to yum yum dimsum

Best Picture - 'Secret Sunshine'

Best Director - Lee Chang Dong 'Secret Sunshine'

Best Actor - Song Kang Ho 'Secret Sunshine'

Best Actress - Jeon Do Yeon 'Secret Sunshine'

Best Supporting Actor - Sung Ji Roo 'Paradise Murdered'

Best Supporting Actress - Gong Hyo Jin 'Happiness'

Best New Director - Kim Mi Jung 'Shadows in the Palace'

Best New Actor - Daniel Henney 'My Father'

Best New Actress - Song Hye Gyo 'Hwang Jin Yi'

Best Original Screenplay - Choi Dong Hun 'Tazza'

Best Art Direction - Yoo Joo Ho & Yoon Sang Yoon 'M'

Best Cinematography - Hong Kyung Pyo 'M'

Best Editing - Shin Min Kyung 'Tazza'

Best Lighting - Choi Chul Soo 'M'

Best Sound Effects - Kim Suk Won, Kim Chang Sup, Lee Tae Gyu 'Voice of A Murderer'

Best Music - Bang Jun Suk 'Radio Star'

Best Visual Effects - 'D-War'

6th Korea Film Awards, 1 December 2007 -- thread by Shirley

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180529

Stars At The 6th Korea Film Awards -- photo thread by yum yum dimsum

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180584

6th Korea Film Awards -- more award photos

http://travel.innolife.net/innoreport/list...&ai_id=2717

'Secret Sunshine' Wins 4 Film Awards

Sunday, December 2, 2007

The film "Secret Sunshine" directed by Lee Chang-dong has won four prizes in the sixth Korean Film Awards.

In downtown Seoul Saturday, the film earned top honors for best film, best directing and best leading actor and actress.

The award for the best supporting actor went to Sung Ji-ru for "Paradise Murdered" and that for best actress went to Gong Hyo-jin for "Happiness."

Daniel Henney was named best new actor for “My Father” and Song Hye-kyo best new actress for "Hwangjini."

Reported by KBS WORLD Radio

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...;key=2007120204

Archived