Kang Dong-Won 강동원 [Upcoming movies: “The Plot”, “Dr. Cheon and Lost Talisman”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

I really want to see KDW in a well written drama with ha ji won like a comedy that would be interesting.I saw him on a variety show once and thought he was really adorable & quirky!! I would love to see him in something written by writer Lee Woo-jung and directed by Shin Won-ho, a duo who values human relationships. I think KES's dramas are a hit or miss. Recently, esp with Heirs, she's become to commercialized it's quite disappointing.  Soleram said: czakhareina said: hey guys just came from a kdrama blogger who wrote that writer Kim Eun Sook (who is writing a new drama titled Descendants of the Sun) meet with wuri Kang dong won. They had lunch in SBS studio. Has anyone read or heard any ramblings of him coming back to dramaland?
I know in his recent interviews, he stated of preferring movies over dramas but I for one would love him in dramas. 
The drama (descendants of the sun) plot is so out there and not yet solid. The writer itself is not my fave but she is know to write Ratings magnet dramas(Secret Garden, lover in paris, lovers in Prague and the most recent Heirs). Basing on KDW's choices in projects, he has always been on picking awesome and solid writing and production> So I am a little curious as to what this could mean. I personally hope he doesn't sign on. KES dramas (in my opinion) are not all solid or well written. If he signs on a drama and make a drama comeback, I wish it would be from writer Lee Kyung Hee (Sangdoo Lets go to school, Innocent Man, Thank you) or Lee Woo Jung, Park Ji Eun, or Song JIna or Kim young hyun.
Even if he doesn't take this, if it is true that he did meet with the writer, could it mean that KDW's drama comeback is getting near?

anyway this is where i read it, from the comments part | reply of the writer to a reader named Aluahttp://koalasplayground.com/2014/07/31/sbs-confirms-june-2015-premiere-for-new-kim-eun-sook-overseas-pre-produced-drama-descendants-of-the-sun/

What PD Yoon has to say about Kang Dong Won's character JoYoon of KUNDO

In ‘Kundo,’ Yoon aimed to entertain

06192105.jpg
Yoon Jong-bin moved away from creating films that dissect the maladies of Korean society and focused on entertainment value in his latest work, “Kundo: Age of the Rampant.” By Ra Hee-chan Studio 706.

So how did you connect elements of westerns, chivalry and cartoons?

For Jo-yoon, I drew my inspiration from cartoonist Shin Il-sook’s “Lineage.” He was based on the evil king, who is cold yet beautiful. 

How did you go about shooting to show chivalry in each scene?

Personally, I’ve got a lot of beef against action films of late. During action scenes they get close up to the character and use hand-held methods. The cuts are also short, which means you don’t get to see how these characters fight.

We had the camera in a fixed position so that the action sequences could be seen clearly. Because Kang Dong-won is so tall, has great proportions and is an expert with a knife, we tried to go for long shots that help you see everything. That way, the elegance of the action could be captured.

Why did you divide the film into five chapters?

During the film - about halfway through after Dolmuchi has joined the bandits - there is a part where Jo-yoon seizes land from some peasants. The viewers no doubt want to see Dolmuchi and Jo-yoon battle it out during that scene. But then, as the story unfolds without a fight it must seem boring, so we decided we should use narration to give additional information. 

But because we thought narration in just one scene would be weird, we decided to incorporate it from the start. And to complete that, we thought we should divide the film into chapters, like a story. It’s like a cartoon by Ko Woo-young, because his films are always broken into chapters and there is always a narrator. 

It’s funny to see Jo-yoon do a 180 as he becomes protective of his nephew. 

In the beginning of the film it was important to add in Jo-yoon’s history so that the ending would make sense. As a boy Jo-yoon is caught trying to kill his half-brother, and in the process loses his mother and is loathed by his father. That was a scar he had to bear for the rest of his life. 

So, in a sense, Jo-yoon could never have killed the baby himself. That’s why he orders Dolmuchi to kill his sister-in-law, who was pregnant with his nephew. 

When he sees his nephew two years later, you can see he is dumbfounded. When that kid looked at Jo-yoon without knowing a thing, it’s as if Jo-yoon’s feelings change. In the final battle against Do-chi, when he tries to protect his nephew, he’s just being true to his instincts. 

To disarm yourself in front of a newborn would be the natural human response. Of course, as it’s an action film, we didn’t delve too deeply into this, but still, we thought it’d be easy for the viewers to understand.

But as soon as you find a human aspect to Jo-yoon, you don’t want him to be punished as much.

To get a kick out of the villain being punished we thought the aristocrat getting a canonball blasted at him would be enough. In the battle between Dolmuchi and Jo-yoon we tried to depict sadness. 

We left the audience questioning whether killing Jo-yoon would lead to better days for the people. After all, there is still a divide between the aristocrats and the commoners, the ruling class and the ruled.

With Jo-yoon gone it was inevitable that someone would take his place. Unless the structure of society changes, the conflict between the rulers and the oppressed will persist. Just look at our history; that’s why the final battle between Jo-yoon and Dol-chi is so sad. The film also has a lot of sunsets, which were symbolic of a hope that such an age would come to an end.

Although you said you wanted to make a film for entertainment, it seems like your movie has a lot of social messages.

When I was starting out on “Kundo” I wanted to make a film like “Mission Impossible” or “Pirates of the Caribbean” - a movie without a specific theme that is just entertaining. But as I was making the film I realized I’m not someone who can do that. As production rolled on there were messages I wanted to impart. 

With “Kundo” done I need to ask myself what kind of films I am going to make in the future. To be honest, I’m curious to see what my next work will be. I hope I find the answer soon. 
<Ommitted non related parts, for full read visit KUNDO main thread>
BY JANG SUNG-RAN [carlasunwoo@joongang.co.kr]
Korean JoongAng Daily | August7 2014

A-listers bring to life sad story of a fast-aging boy

Song, Kang star as parents of progeric son in their latest movie

07194657.jpg
As far as A-listers go, it doesn’t get any better than Song hye-kyo and Kang Dong-won. As household names in Korean cinema, both are no strangers to the spotlight.

And so the title of their latest film, “My Brilliant Life,” seems fitting. 

That is until you look closer at the poster and see an strange-looking child sandwiched between the two of them. Despite how it may seem on the surface, Song and Kang’s latest collaboration is a tragic tale of a teenager with Progeria - a genetic disorder that speeds up the aging process. 

In this Korean take on “Benjamin Button” and “Jack,” Song and Kang play the parents of a 16-year-old boy named Ar-eum. The knowledge that they will outlive their son, coupled with the fact that they had him when they were just 17, makes this family an exceptionally peculiar one. 

At a press conference on Monday, the two leads - neither of them yet parents - said that they found more similarities with their on-screen personas than they first imagined, despite being single. 

“Of course the fact that motherhood is something I haven’t experienced was a crucial factor,” said Song. “A lot of people probably wondered if I could pull it off, but Mi-ra is actually close to my age, so I could relate to her on that level.” 

Playing another unlikely parent is Kang Dong-won as a clueless father. Although not yet a dad in real life, Kang said that playing Dae-su, a teenage taekwondo enthusiast whose dream was cut short by fatherhood, wasn’t difficult to master. 

“He’s a character like no other I’ve played,” said Kang who added that Dae-su is more similar to his own personality than any of the other roles he’s tackled.

“At first I didn’t think it’d be a problem, but then while working on it I realized it was harder than I first thought,” said Kang, explaining that while he knew a lot about being a son, he didn’t know much about being a father.

Both stars admitted that they fell in love with the film as soon as they read the script.

“When I first read the script I was so sad,” said Song. “Even in happy scenes I’d be crying, and that’s when I realized it’d be hard to pull off.” 

For Kang it wasn’t so much the tears as the way the story was communicated.

“I liked the way it was expressed, how it was depicted,” said Kang. “There was nothing I couldn’t really relate to.”

While the young star who plays the son has not yet been revealed, director Lee Jae-yong said that in terms of makeup, the film could stand its ground against Hollywood flicks. With the help of special makeup effects artist Greg Cannom, who has worked on hits like “Titanic,” “Benjamin Button” and “The Mask,” the crew turned the teenager into an 80-year-old man in a process that took five hours a day. 

“While worrying about the costume makeup and researching nationwide, we decided we needed something more advanced,” said Lee.

After sending a letter to Cannom, the crew flew to Hollywood to learn his trade.

“It was a huge deal, and I’m sure if it wasn’t for his help we’d be worse off,” said Lee.

The filmmaker said he was also nervous at the prospect of opening a movie featuring some of the most lustrous actors in town.

“It’s been awhile since I worked on a film with a mainstream script,” he said, adding that he had no doubt Song and Kang would flourish in their challenging roles. 

“I’ve known both Kang and Song for 10 years,” said Lee, and “always thought they had this down-to-earth side .?.?. “so I thought they’d be able to pull it off.” The film opens Sept. 3.

BY CARLA SUNWOO [carlasunwoo@joongang.co.kr] Korean JoongAng Daily | August 8 2014

class="tit_detail" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding: 17px 0px 13px; border-style: none none solid; border-bottom-width: 3px; border-bottom-color: rgb(73, 79, 95); outline: 0px; font-family: Arial, verdana, dotum, AppleGothic, 'Lucida Grande', Tahoma, gulim, Arial, helvetica; vertical-align: top; line-height: 36px; width: 740px; font-size: 28px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-weight: normal; margin-bottom: 0px !important;"Writer of [My Brilliant Life] Praises Stars, “Innocent ‘Kang Dong Won’, Energetic ‘Song Hye Kyo’”2014080709044879634_1.jpg

(Actress ‘Song Hye Kyo’ and Actor ‘Kang Dong Won’ / Photo: Stillshot from [My Brilliant Life])

Writer ‘Kim Ae Ran’ expressed her expectation on ‘Kang Dong Won’ and ‘Song Hye Kyo’, the main cast members of [My Brilliant Life]. [My Brilliant Life] is a movie based on ‘Kim Ae Ran’s novel.

The writer expressed her expectation on the movie and its cast via CJ E&M on 7th.

[My Brilliant Life] is a movie about parents who had their son at age 17 and their son who is about to turn 17 while suffering from progeria. The movie is based on writer ‘Kim Ae Ran’s novel of the same title.

‘Kim Ae Ran’ said, “the first thing that came across my mind after hearing about turning my novel into a movie was that ‘now my characters are physical entities.’”

She also added, “having to exist as physical entities itself was, I think, a gift to the three characters who have never enjoyed their youth. I wonder how it would be like for my characters to fall in love and live their lives again through the bodies of the actors.”

Reporter: Ahn E Seul
Translator: Kim Sin Woo
KoFan | August 8 2014

My Palpitating Life Kang Dong Won and Song Hye Kyo to Directly Communicate with Fans on August 12th 
201408061316461127_1.jpg

Leading actors of the movie My Palpitating Life, based on writer Kim Ae Ran’s best-seller of the same name, will be meeting with netizens.This upcoming August 12th at 9 PM on Naver Movie Talk Live, the lead actors of My Palpitating Life will make an appearance and show off their gift of talking.This Movie Talk Live will be hosted by Park Kyung Lim with appearances by Director E J- yong, actors Kang Dong Won, Song Hye Kyo, Baek Il Seob, and musical director Jung Jae Hyung.The event will feature character videos of senseless daddy Dae Soo, played by Kang Dong Won, and ambitious mom Mira, played by Song Hye Kyo, as well as reveal highlights from the movie. In addition, the director and actors are expected to speak live about the ensemble of the actors, special effects make-up, and vivid behind the story about filming. It will be broadcast live on the portal site, Naver Movie.Meanwhile, My Palpitating Life tells the story of a seventeen year old couple who have a child and fast forwards to seventeen years later when the child is physically eighty years old. It is slated to be released next month on the third.
Source: My Daily, NaverTranslated by: Shanda @ Songhyegyo.net

class="entry-title" style="text-align: center; font-family: Oswald, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Helvetica, NanumGothic, 나눔고딕, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 22px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 28px; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 14px 0px 0px; padding: 19px 12px; direction: ltr; color: rgb(194, 162, 111); text-rendering: optimizelegibility; letter-spacing: 0.4px;"Kang Dong-won and Song Hye-kyo in Harmony! – The Press Release for the Movie ‘My Palpitating Life’still_08.jpg
The press release for the movie ‘My Palpitating Life,’ which tells a story of young parents who had children only when they were 17 years old and their son who is 17 years old but has a 80 year old body, was held at Apgujeong CGV in Gangnam District.
Director Lee Jae-yong, Kang Dong-won and Song Hye-kyo participated in the event along with huge crowds of reporters.still_05.jpg

Director Lee Jae-yong stated, “I wanted to show more fresh and easygoing sides of Kang Dong-won and Song Hye-kyo rather than their current images.”
He also added, “I liked the original fiction because its story was very touching and humorous at the same time. I was a little bit worried if I could describe and show realistic-looking progeria patient. But, It could be done well thanks to Greg Cannom, the most renowned special makeup effects artist.”still_02.jpg

Kang Dong-won who plays 33 year-old father ‘Dae-soo’ said, “It was hard to play ‘father’ and understand Dae-soo’s emotion. But, I think this character is a lot like me. I also had to speak in Gyeongsang Provinces’ accent even though I have been in Seoul for quite long time. So, I tried my best to sound more like people in Gyeongsang Provinces.”still_03.jpg

Song Hye-kyo who plays mother ‘Mi-ra’ stated, “I didn’t have tough time to play ‘Mi-ra’ because ‘Mi-ra’ and I are at similar age, and she is also cheerful woman like me. I thought ‘Mi-ra’ should treat her son ‘Ah-reum’ as a friend. So I acted that way. In fact, I naturally treated ‘Ah-reum’ like my good friend as I spent a lot of time with him.”
still_09.jpg
Kang Dong-won stated, “You will learn what family really is through this film. This movie will also remind people of their time as teenagers and of time when they were in their twenties.
Song Hye-kyo also said, “I tried to describe ‘Mi-ra’ as a friend of her son. I naturally learned how to be this kind of mother from my mom.”
‘My Palpitating Life’ will open on September 3.

Written by Han Jihee, Photography by ZIPCINEMA, Translated by Park Kayla
Get it K | August 7 2014

Wow....only found out that he audition for Untold Scandal in 2003. the version of Cruel Intentions...that was quite a challenging role that he was aiming for before Temptation of Wolves....
Have to really admire him for his choices...............

Guest missluffy

this is my first post and i'm very amazing with his taste in fashion, his style is unique very different with another Korean Celeb, every event that he attend he look like catwalk model that you only see in fashion show, which is extraordinary but he nailed that.
who will wearing long florish coat in movie talk event?
kdw-sc8.png?w=800

Old style, coat,shirt,pants doesn't matching at all but still look good
450412584-gang-dong-won-attends-the-movi

V-neck, this clothes is like one stitches only
2014071401001689700107341.jpg

simple in Black
3bqq1i2qgxzyt3sil553qq0l1fkr3oev.jpg

event wearing pink sweeter he still look fabolous
lnACJ3F.jpg

This one in the bottom of the pants look like folded but suit up
261F8A4753D2421E11876E

Once of my Fav, this like when you playing Play Station at home your assisten told you "Hey you have fans meeting" then "Ok, give me the coat".Kekekek
LhIHuC.png

This one like after playing basketball
t0Nbjx.png

another simple in black
kLefgZ.jpg

NT4tno.jpg

Finally the Polka Dot suite,I can't imagine if someone else wearing this suit even Hollywood star
5h1XEZ.JPG

Guest retsuno

I think this is also need to be shared here...
KDW's interview in SBS Movie World (2014.08.09) for My Palpitating Life

img_3_zps30cffd83.jpg

img_4_zps3c135fcb.jpg

img_5_zps05597117.jpg

web_3743527543_c679c217_Screenshot_2014-

You could watch it here (KDW's DC)

Guest AnJilaah

Infinity Challenge's episode for today, we'll have a parody of Kundo. Though it is not yet clear who'll play KDW. kkk :P can't wait to see the episode for today. It'll be hilarious definitely!
Here's a pic Jeong Jun Ha shared with Yoo Jae Suk: 
01.8978435.1_99_20140809181902.jpg

Photo Credit: naver

Guest retsuno

Try to make GIF for the first time from the latest interview :)

output_EHuLyj_zps3717fb16.gif
KDW : the stylist told me that I look like a fool

output_9cjfET_zpsa60dd355.gif   output_O59cVa_zps05f3b202.gif
KDW : Actually I'm a little fool, there's part of me that seems like a fool. If you know, it is indeed silly/stupid but nobody knows..

Addition:
In interview, SHK said because of the children, the parents can also grow up

output_XvqFgo_zps3e83b3d7.gif
MC : (After played in the movie) is there any change in you?
Silent....

output_Tb2fsc_zpsd9e96bb6.gif
SHK : nothing changed (laugh) ... KDW : we couldn't grow up

p.s: bear with me if there is any mistakes :)